Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Calling all Mercs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
FrostyNSO
Sorry for the lame contribution fellas. I had to account for 30 years of karma =)

Just a thought, somebody mentioned earlier picking up Heavy Security Armor instead of military grade to save costs...I think this is a damn good budget move, and it got me thinking.

We can prolly pass on the tactical computer in favor of just getting everything linked via battletac.

Also, is a T-bird really worth it? It may be more worthwhile to trick out a Hughes WK-2 chopper (or have two!). Then we have insertion/extraction capability, and possibly a damn well-armed platform in one (or two!) craft.
gobogen
I actually mentionned I'd like to have ruthenium for the Heavy Sec armor my char already has instead of new better armor. It really doesn't save that much cost nyahnyah.gif but I'm glad it had you thinking though smile.gif
Tashio
Well a Tbird has passanger capability, it can hover and carry better armour/weapons than a chopper. And is faster.
Aku
actaully, do we still have two other demo experts as the list early on has listed? I might go with that shaman idea after all, specializing in elemental and AoE spells.
Cedric Rolfsson
Here is a list of the spells I have, with Rating. I'm posting it here for comment and suggestions. I can't change the total points but I might be willing to change spells around to better work with the team. I figure my character has been part of this merc unit for better than of a year so some co-ordination as to spells makes sense.

[ Spoiler ]

Open for comment or suggestions.

Remember my character is geared towards astral combat and elemental support. I'm trying to work a way to be able to cast spells in a fight that keeps my guy safe but I doubt I'd survive long hanging and banging with the rest of you meat eaters.
Whizbang
I'm still floating around here...been swamped at work, but theoretically I'm off tommorrow, so I'll finally have time to get cracking on my character sheet to get it in just under the deadline. smile.gif
Aku
still waiting to hear which will be more useful for the team, another demo, or another caster
HeySparky
Both! Be both! biggrin.gif
Aku
I'll see what i can do...
Cedric Rolfsson
Question, how is Lone Star likely to react to us launching a T-bird into Seattle air space? Remember, the UCAS military presence in Seattle is huge because of the Renraku thing, so if we start flying major war machines like a T-bird we'll probably draw a response from them as well as Lone Star SWAT.

How common are T-birds in commercial life? Is it likely that there are numerous T-birds flying around the Seattle airspace on behalf of multiple entities?

If they are restricted or extremely rare then I'd vote not to get a T-bird but instead get a chopper that's tricked out but can still blend in. If they are not uncommon, or at least not so uncommon that we have at least a chance of blending in, then I like the idea of the bigger more heavily armored weapons platform.
HeySparky
What sort of ECM could drones do to mask a T-Bird? Also... I was thinking, we have a number of tech-y folks - we could smuggle the t-bird in parts to a nearby location (warehouse) and assemble it. Then launch do our mission and get the hell out.

I'm (maybe mistakenly) WAY more concerned about getting out of town/disappearing than I am in that we'll be able to pull the job off.
BishopMcQ
Anyone know a decker that can hack the ATC system? Authorization for a few hours is just as easy as disappearing...
Aku
what were avilability rules during chargen again? normal, right?
Tashio
TBird or Any chopper that looks like an attack chopper is going to be in trouble either way.

As I said I could kit the thing out and end up with a Signature around 8 9 prehaps + have it almost only detectable by sight (ED 6 ECM 9/10) but that would cost even more. Even for a chopper it would be expensive. ED6 and ECM 9/10 cost around 3-5k DP each. The current config is 10k total. So it would be huge, but would give us a sneaky route in. It also depends whether we hitting something in town or outside of town.

Advantage of the Thunderbird is speed. It can outrun choppers, the only thing you would realy have to worry about is fighters and I don't think LS has too many of those. Not sure how long it would take for the military to be called in.

The way I see it going if its in town. Ground forces get deployed by a land vehicle. Charges get set, TBird comes in around the time explosions are due adds some extra firepower and picks everyone up and gets the hell out of there.
Aku
Heresa the first draft of Boomer, Demo/Shaman of Polecat. I know i need to get armor (which will be spent with post chargen money, due to availability) but does anyone see any glaring issues?

http://www.geocities.com/daherm3610/boomer/Boomer.htm
Fenris
Aku - Availability rules during chargen are as per standard, yes.

I don't see anything glaringly obvious on the character sheet.

McQuillan - You have Iblis biggrin.gif

Cedric - Without authorization, they'd call in Lonestar to do a check and try to find out what's going on. If it was indeed an obviously heavily armed T-Bird that wasn't responding to hails, Lonestar would probably call in the Metroplex Army.

One thing to keep in mind is that radar and sensors are limited by LOS. It would be a hell of a lot trickier flying NotE, but might get you in under radar.
Cedric Rolfsson
Aku, I see you made your char a spell caster rather than a summoner, if you've got the karma or points to spare I'd boost up the conjuring and charisma so we can use both elementals and spirits. I've always liked the spirit's conceal and accident power to go along with the numbers of elementals.

Fenris, I'd like to summon about 5 elementals (one of each flavor with a double helping of Earth) and have the on call prior to the game beginning. This would make sense with the amount of pre-game karma we've built up. that just saves me the time of having to do it in the first few posts, since that is what my character brings to the table. I'd figure one elemental summoning per week.

If this is okay then I'll post the rolls for services and drains etc.
bclements
Yeah, a merc-ish mage probably would have a good Conjuring skill, with a lot of spell defence ready. Spirits are damn handy.

Niraj SixGun Shivalanka will to you in the morning.
FrostyNSO
Well, keep in mind we have to fuel that T-bird too, and we are going to be in a highly populated area (from what I understand). You can cloak yourself from sensors, but if a T-bird is flying around running support, somebody is going to see it. You can't do anything nowadays without a camcorder popping up somewhere.

I think we need a discreet option, and would really, really like to request a pair or two of GMC MPUV's to move about town in. No weapons mounts, just the stock vehicle with it's stock armor...more discreet than a t-bird or even a chopper.

If we go T-bird, that's fine, but we really need to know more about the job. It may be more feasable to fade away from the scene, ditch our gear, and scatter to regroup later. As opposed to streak away in the Seattle sky at mach. T-birds make a lot of noise too. As do choppers.

Also: How's this for a name?

GSCI Solutions

Global
Security.
Command.
Intervention.
Aku
Yes, i am planning on uping conjuring actually, but unfortunately, for the power of the campaign, 120 seems scarce lol, ao that extra karma will be going towards it post, i just didnt wanna truely finalize without some input.
BishopMcQ
Fenris--I wasn't here...I...I was dead at the time...I was on the moon...with Steve...
nick012000
QUOTE (Tashio)
TBird or Any chopper that looks like an attack chopper is going to be in trouble either way.

As I said I could kit the thing out and end up with a Signature around 8 9 prehaps + have it almost only detectable by sight (ED 6 ECM 9/10) but that would cost even more. Even for a chopper it would be expensive. ED6 and ECM 9/10 cost around 3-5k DP each. The current config is 10k total. So it would be huge, but would give us a sneaky route in. It also depends whether we hitting something in town or outside of town.

Advantage of the Thunderbird is speed. It can outrun choppers, the only thing you would realy have to worry about is fighters and I don't think LS has too many of those. Not sure how long it would take for the military to be called in.

The way I see it going if its in town. Ground forces get deployed by a land vehicle. Charges get set, TBird comes in around the time explosions are due adds some extra firepower and picks everyone up and gets the hell out of there.

A spirit with Conceal goes a long way to help with avoiding detection when you're flying a Tbird through the metroplex...
Chance359
Aku heres a few ideas on cheap allies.

Frosty, I like the name. I also like the suggestion of the MPUV, so I pick one of those up with my character gen cash.

Cedric Rolfsson
Okay, Chance, read that Ally article, those are some kick ass Ally ideas! I prefer to go with the Familiar ordeal on initiation as that saves the Magic Point but I've got an Ally spirit and highly recommend one if you're going to have an active focus on your person.

Speaking of which Fenris, I'm going to modify the Familiar that I've got and I'll re-submit, those allies got me to thinking. My Familiar is just too plain jane now, I'm going to develop something like that I'll keep the same point cost though.

Aku, don't forget to up your Charisma or summoning is going to be killer on Drain.

Frosty, I like the idea of MPUV as well, or even a slightly modified Leyland-Rover van, I'm more inclined to use the less obvious route. Especially if you re-read one of Fenris' earlier posts, to Netlich ". . . The team that's hiring you is planning on going in all stealthy like, they're looking for people to blow up everything but the building they're standing in,. . . ." It sounds like we will need to be more discrete than a T-bird loaded with missiles since the building is supposed to remain standing. This sounds more like a room by room sweep rather than a drop-the-tac-nuke-and-run situation.

Of course that means we're going to need a couple of people with drive skill in addition to Tashio. Also I'd suggest we have some persons with reasonable Stealth skill to be able to tail the target covertly. BC is going to be an adept by any chance, with a little room left for Stealth abilities?

I like the GSCI name too, that works for me, as the "parent" group designator. I think we need a cool unit designation as well, like Easy Company (historical example only) of the 101st. We can go with something simple but it would give us a distinct identity, part of the parent group but an independant crew that is a group within the group. I think some thing simple Black Adders, Blood Eagles(for all you Norse aficianados), Phoenix Guard, Striker Team, something like that.

Also a reminder that it will be much easier for Tashio to purchase the team's vehicles once he knows how much money he's going to have to spend.
Tashio
Na we're the ones providing the distraction by blowing the crap out of everything else. Anouther team is doing the actual infiltration.

I've put together an APC which might be a better option. Same armourments as the thunderbird but better ECM/ECCM/ED Also with pv paint which could help in getting in/out because we can disguise ourselves as some law enforcement group moving in to help. A APC might look out of place in a AA rated area but not as weird as a T-Bird. I like the T-Bird but I have a feeling its may cause more problems than solve.

Advantage of APC is it costs around 900k compared to 2.4mil

What we could do is add a bunch of Vector thrust UAV's with some decent weapons on top. Sparky has a bunch of ground combat support drones + arial surveilance/electronic jamming stuff.
Aku
anyone know how to make an ally spirit on the nsrcg?
Whizbang
Don't think he's put that feature in yet.
PBTHHHHT
As a suggestion for y'all who are thinking about sneaking into place and then letting loose all sorts of lead and fire. How about tricking out a few SUV's/Vans with pop-up turrets and law's and other fun stuff. You can have surprise on hand and then make your getaway as you drive away from the place and close up the turrets, change the paint scheme, etc... Can also plan for escape routes and places to ditch your gear/vehicles.

The T-Bird and chopper sounds fun, but getting away in a heavy urban area is a bit harder I think, depending on how on top the military/LS is in the air coverage, not to mention any other corp airspace you might disregard in flying over. Plus, ditching a tricked out t-bird or chopper is less viable versus ditching a few tricked out SUV's/vans.

edit: I'm just reading your thread because it's fun. Don't mind me. nyahnyah.gif
Tashio
Yup that was my thinking as well. A couple expendable vehicles prehaps rigged with explosives as well.
Aku
mmm, explosives... me like....

I'm still ding some juggling to try and get everything to fit... I might drop thwe biotech skill, just to get a lil more conjuring in there during char gen...
Fenris
Don't forget guys, today's the last day to actually turn in character sheets.

Currently, I have a rough draft character sheet from Sparky, and mostly finished character sheets for Brithin, Styx, Indiana, and Just Drake.

I'm missing a finished character sheet from Sparky, and 3-4 other character sheets from the rest of you wink.gif
Whizbang
*wonders if a combat or illusion foci would be rationalized under team funds* smile.gif
Aku
SHIAT!

EDIT: For clairfication, do you want the NSRCG FILE, or just the html print out?

edit2: And heres a thought, since we have atleast a few casters in our group, and since we are belonging to a larger merc society of sorts, would it be unreasonable to think that said group has it's own magical group?
Whizbang
At the moment have 485k to dump into the team fund...of course, depends on what I still need to buy from personal funds. And I still have alot of karma left unspent...
Fenris
Aku - I want the actual .html print out. Thanks for asking wink.gif
Aku
not a problem, I know as a GM i kinda like to have the actual file for some odd reason, dont really know why, but i do...

And in case you answered before i did the edits, theres another question up there
Whizbang
*considers putting a pop up turret in her VW Beetle* biggrin.gif
Aku
i want an Ares autocannon on my Nissan some (most) of the time....
Tashio
The APC has an autocannon smile.gif
Aku
ok, i think i'm finished with boomer, just need to await word on the initiation group for the merc company as a whole. Right now i have aprox. 900K i can put into the slush fund (assumeing we're allow to put in that post gen money)
Whizbang
Final number on team fund money from me is 400,922
Fenris
Aku - No, not unreasonable, but you can assume that the strictures are probably associated directly with the company, and include loyalty and dues, but the dues part would be covered by the money the company keeps from each of your assignments.
Tashio
My full 1mil post creation money into the team fund.
bclements
Apologies, but I'm going to have to bow out of this one.
gobogen
Tashio, thank you smile.gif

Apologies, but I'm going to have to bow out of this one.

Do we get his million too ? biggrin.gif

Seriously, sorry you couldn't make it.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Cedric Rolfsson @ Sep 23 2005, 11:39 AM)
I like the GSCI name too, that works for me, as the "parent" group designator.  I think we need a cool unit designation as well, like Easy Company (historical example only) of the 101st.  We can go with something simple but it would give us a distinct identity, part of the parent group but an independant crew that is a group within the group.  I think some thing simple Black Adders, Blood Eagles(for all you Norse aficianados), Phoenix Guard, Striker Team, something like that.

A Unit designator would be pretty sweet, but we could just as easily not have one too.

"What squad were those guys from?"

"I don't know, but they were good."

Black Adders would make me think of Rowan Atkinson, I dig Blood Eagles but...eh, Phoenix Guard implies that we all died once (not neccessarily a bad thing), Stiker Team is too GI Joe.

Still they all work and I'm not too worried about it. Those are just my initial thoughts.

I'll throw two into the ring, a simple one and a "flair" one.

simple - Gray Team

a little more flair - Panther Group

for shits and giggles - Kilo India Lima
HeySparky
The team's drone rigger (Alan Carnes) and his mighty skills

[ Spoiler ]

What I don't have is a freaking clue about what drones to get. I should have somewhere in the neighborshood of 1.25mil to spend on them (the .25 is from chargen).

I have two problems - I'm new to the rigging biz and am learning the rules as I go (which is turning out to not be fast enough). AND I don't know what sort of operation we're gonna pull off. Do we need drones with FDDM capabilites so we can paint unseen targets? Do we need firepower? Do we need drones to accompany our guys on foot (I'm thinking of a demolitions drone, with arms and such). OR ... an alternative to all of these - make Alan as shit-hot Electronics Warfare guy and skip (or minimize) the drones and infiltrate or steal our target's network. These questions will impact what I buy (and might even free up cash for karma to improve relevant skills).

I dunno. I'm sorta at a loss and figured I'd bat this out to you guys. Fen, sorry is so late in the approval process.

Sending you my character Fen, minus gear. But consider skills and attributes and stuff to be solid.
Whizbang
Foxfire's skill set (post karma)

[ Spoiler ]
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
I'll throw two into the ring, a simple one and a "flair" one.

simple - Gray Team

a little more flair - Panther Group

for shits and giggles - Kilo India Lima

How about Squad 7, Team Charlie, or something like that? In case you're overheard, communication is intercepted, it makes the other side think there's much more out there.
Aku
shiat@! i knew i forgot to do something before i went to bed at like, 2 am...

<prays for a mercifal GM...>

GRRR, Tbird doesnt seem to want to me play in this game, or firefox for that matter... they both keep freezing whenever i go to attach the html file lol....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012