Just wanted to know what people liked.
Grinder
MP5x - classic & old-school. And looks cool. smile.gif
Jrayjoker
What he said...
Critias
In SR, or IRL?
mmu1
I like the Thompson, personally... It's like a classic car. Of course, that's also about how much it weighs (even though it feels just about indestructible, and the extra weight made it pretty controllable in my experience) so in a real-life combat situation, I'd probably go with something more modern, like an MP5. (if we limit this to guns I've actually fired)
mmu1
QUOTE (Grinder)
MP5x - classic & old-school. And looks cool. smile.gif

Classic and old-school? God, kids these days... smile.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 25 2005, 03:00 PM)
In SR, or IRL?

In SR - my IRL-knowlegde of weeapons goes towards 0. wink.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Oct 25 2005, 09:40 AM)
MP5x - classic & old-school. And looks cool.  smile.gif

Classic and old-school? God, kids these days... smile.gif

In 2060/70, i'm an old sucker. cool.gif
Ed_209a
I would take the P90 in a heartbeat if I thought I would be facing opponents in body armor, Else, UMP.
Omer Joel
IRL? Calico SMG damn cool and innovative.

In SR? Ingram Smartgun - good-looking, somewhat compact, well-accessorized (in SR4 it even has a Sound Supressor - can it be combined with a Gas Vent as they did in SR4?).
Zeel De Mort
Chalk me up for the Ingram Smartgun too.

Looks good, does decent damage - what's not to like!
Musashi Forever
Ingram Smartgun is definitely the best SR SMG.

Real life I clicked on the P90 because it looks so dang sweet, but you gotta love the MP 5...it saved John Mclaine's life.
hobgoblin
anything that gets the job done...
Fortune
See my sig! smile.gif
Fix-it
QUOTE (Musashi Forever @ Oct 25 2005, 03:05 PM)
Ingram Smartgun is definitely the best SR SMG.

IIRC, the Ingram Smartgun IS the Mac10, just with more gadgets.

Personally, I would go with a tricked-out B&T MP9, foregrip taclight, red dot (Or smartlink 2, depending on RL or SR) and a suppressor. ooh, and a brass collector. In 10MM Auto.

either that or the P90 if I'm facing peeps with body armor.

SR, RL, what's the difference?
nezumi
I'm guessing this is RL guns (in which case, that label would've been convenient on the poll nyahnyah.gif )

I voted Thompson, for reasons stated above. Of all the guns listed, the Thompson looks best when fired by someone wearing a trenchcoat and fedora.

In regards to the SR guns, I generally go with a standard H&K. The SA/BF/FA with 7M damage is useful (and neither can be reliably changed with mods) so that's what I look for first, then I trick it out with the GVIV, integral smartlink, custom handle, so on and so forth.
Musashi Forever
IIRC, the Ingram Smartgun IS the Mac10, just with more gadgets.

I had always figured on the Ingram Warrior-10 being more like the MAC-10. I think in the case of the MAC-10, the gear makes the gun. You add stuff to the MAC-10 to jazz it up and it's no longer a MAC-10, the cheap-ass piece of crap we know and love.
Arethusa
Thompson.

I want to grow up to be a thompson gunner.
Fortune
QUOTE (Arethusa)

Should we start calling you Roland?
Krazy
I gotta go with the UMP, burst to the face kinda negates armor, and I've heard that the open bolt of th p-90 causes problems, like if you bump it to hard and a round falls out of the clip, the rest will follow. and there is a reason that the mac-10 is refered to as a "pray and spray", yeah I'll go for power and accruacy, of course an uzi will suffice in a pinch
Arethusa
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Oct 26 2005, 01:45 AM)

Well, I want to be the best.

QUOTE (Krazy)
I gotta go with the UMP, burst to the face kinda negates armor, and I've heard that the open bolt of th p-90 causes problems, like if you bump it to hard and a round falls out of the clip, the rest will follow. and there is a reason that the mac-10 is refered to as a "pray and spray", yeah I'll go for power and accruacy, of course an uzi will suffice in a pinch

I'll cut right to chase. Don't take this the wrong way, but almost none of what you said has anything to do with reality.
Musashi Forever
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 25 2005, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Oct 26 2005, 01:45 AM)

Well, I want to be the best.

QUOTE (Krazy)

I'll cut right to chase. Don't take this the wrong way, but almost none of what you said has anything to do with reality.

Why don't you correct him and enlighten us all instead of insulting him and begging forgiveness?

I for one would like to know if the P90 problem he talks about is true.
Arethusa
I was doing neither, but if you insist.

I have no idea what the hell a burst to the face has to do with either a UMP or real life.

The P90 fires from a closed bolt and has no such problems, and regardless, no open bolt weapon would ever suffer from such a silly flaw. Rounds do not simply fall out of the magazine because a weapon has an open bolt.

The Mac 10/11 series can be powerful; there are variants from .380ACP up to .45ACP. It's not a single gun.
Critias
IRL, I'd go for...well...any of the above, if I could have them legally.

In Shadowrun? I'm somewhat infamous for my Supermach preference, and the kills it's gotten me.
nezumi
QUOTE (Krazy)
I gotta go with the UMP, burst to the face kinda negates armor

I believe this line refers to the Called Shot rules, where people seem to think a called shot negates armor and boosts the damage level. This issue has been beaten to death, but I believe the final verdict was no sane GM would let his players used called shot to avoid armor using a standard gun, and nothing in the rules indicates that this should be the case.
Arethusa
That doesn't really explain why it must be a UMP or why he thinks such a practice has such bearing on reality, unfortunately.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Rounds do not simply fall out of the magazine because a weapon has an open bolt.

To make this point absolutely clear, there is no modern firearm, regardless of whether it fires from an open or a closed bolt, or in what position its bolt is at any given moment, that can have cartridges bumped out of the magazines and then dropped right out of the weapon -- unless by "bumping" you mean "hitting repeatedly with a sledgehammer".

Further, the position of the bolt in the moment the weapon fires or at any given moment has no bearing on the proper and reliable functioning of the magazine or other feed device on conventional firearms.

There may be a problem with the magazines of the P90, however, relating to the spinning feed disc located on the end of it (which is required because the cartridges are kept at 90 degrees sideways). The way I understand it is that, especially with a magazine that isn't full, the disc can get stuck and the cartridges can block the magazines by getting stuck near/on the disc at odd angles. The cartridges will not come dropping out of the magazines, certainly not when the damn thing is actually placed on the weapon. And it's obviously not that serious a flaw, since the weapon sees a significant amount of use by LEOs and militaries.

QUOTE (Musashi Forever)
Why don't you correct him and enlighten us all instead of insulting him and begging forgiveness?

When people spew crap with little to nothing to do with reality, it's often most effective to enlighten all readers by stating as clearly as possible that the thing that was just spewed was indeed crap.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Oct 25 2005, 11:55 AM)
The P90 fires from a closed bolt and has no such problems, and regardless, no open bolt weapon would ever suffer from such a silly flaw.  Rounds do not simply fall out of the magazine because a weapon has an open bolt.

Absolutely Correct.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
There is a problem with the magazines of the P90, however, relating to the spinning feed disc located on the end of it (which is required because the cartridges are kept at 90 degrees sideways). The way I understand it is that, especially with a magazine that isn't full, the disc can get stuck and the cartridges can block the magazines by getting stuck near/on the disc at odd angles. The cartridges will not come dropping out of the magazines, certainly not when the damn thing is actually placed on the weapon. And it's obviously not that serious a flaw, since the weapon sees a significant amount of use by LEOs and militaries.

Never encountered that flaw personally, but have heard of it. One disadvantage for me regarding the P90 was the configuration of the magazine itself, which makes a quick tactical or even emergency reload take longer than with a "standard" firearm. Yay for high capacity wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
I remember you speaking earlier of having fired the P90. Do you remember there being any mention of trouble with the spinning disc on the magazines, or am I too just prolonging the life of a rumor?

[Edit]I'll just adjust my message accordingly, then. wink.gif[/quote]
FrostyNSO
made an addition above.
ShadowDragon8685
Well, it depends on the situation. Obviously, any SMG is better than no SMG.

If I'm going into combat in a scenario where I know my opponants are unlikely to be wearing armor, Thompson all the way. High RoF, .45 ACP, heavy as a classic car and controlable.

On the other hand, WITH armor, I think I want a main battle rifle. Failing that, I'll take the P90.

For day-to-day carry, I'd say Uzi or a MicroUzi, or perhaps even a Glock 19 machine pistol. (I think it's the glock 19. Don't hold me to it.)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
[...] Thompson all the way. High RoF [...]

In case you didn't know, it's only the original M1921 Thompsons that have a cyclic RoF around 1000rpm. The later models, the M1928(A1) and M1(A1), hover around 700rpm-800rpm, which is pretty average for SMGs (the standard Uzi stands at 600rpm, the MP5 at 800rpm).

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
For day-to-day carry, I'd say Uzi or [...]

The Uzi is pretty heavy, at 3.7kg vs. 4.7-4.9kg for a Thompson, or ~2.5-2.6kg for the retractable-stock MP5s, and not exactly easy to hide under a jacket.

And I won't hold you to it, 'cause it's the Glock 18. wink.gif Although you could install an FSSG on any Glock.
Krazy
ok, so I'm not as eloquint as some of the others. the P-90 problem I read in a Jane's reference. as far as I've been aware, unless used it two hands and sholder-stock, mac-10s are quite dificult to control I've heard of them refered to as pray-and spray in situations where the sholdersock was not used, rounds everywhere. most "machine pistols" share this flaw as the light weight = more felt recoil. the UMP as far as I know is relaiable, accruate and chambered for several high powered automatic pistol cartriges. and please define significant use AE. I'm unaware of where it has been put into service exept a few eropean HRTs. But I've been wrong before
Kyoto Kid
Yeah, the old Tommy Gun is classy. The one in the 3rd ed character generator is also quite effective starting at 9M before adding burst mods.
caramel frappuccino
My favorite SMG is the Manabolt F6.

Oh wait, that's not an SMG! frown.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Krazy)
and please define significant use AE.

Several European HRTs would be about right. wink.gif In large enough numbers that FrostyNSO here got to use one.

QUOTE (Krazy)
the P-90 problem I read in a Jane's reference.

I'd love to know where, exactly, that was.
Siege
The "spray and pray" aspect of the Ingram/Mac series comes from the fact the stock model doesn't have much by way of controllability.

Yes, I've heard it can be done in the traditional fashion of a folding stock and gripping the weapon in front of the trigger guard with the free hand.

However, compare that to larger models like the Uzi and the HK series and you'll find a much better ability to control the weapon.

Of course, if size is more important than accuracy, the Ingram/Mac is a great choice.

Although the Micro Uzi is another serious competitor in size. Although why they fixed it with a bayonet...

-Siege
Krazy
I don't remember the refrence, wish i did. I do know it was more in refernce to the cartrige, and comparing the pistol to others. because if the smg was a dud, then there wouldn't be much millitary market for the pistol. or some similar logic. but since neither of us has held one (much less used one in combat) It is really a silly argument. (I was sure p-90s were open bolt) I'm not trying to be a jackass, just stating the fact that nobody here is a repository of all weapon knowlege, and google still has no propaganda filter.
FrostyNSO
The P90 is blowback operated...maybe somebody got that mixed up with meaning "open bolt"...somehow?
Ed_209a
I cannot remember the source, but I have also read about P90 magazines losing rounds when dropped.

I personally would love to see a field conversion kit to let you use a conventional pistol round in the P90. 9mm Para maybe? I don't know what case the 5.9mm round is based on.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Oct 25 2005, 06:24 PM)
I cannot remember the source, but I have also read about P90 magazines losing rounds when dropped.

Any magazine can lose round or two when dropped, especially when full...shit happens. If you've dropped your magazine on the ground, your problems are greater than the two rounds that popped out cool.gif
FlakJacket
Micro Uzi chambered in .45 caliber. Managed to talk the GM into using Ray's guns, removed the stock and added a suppressor which gave me a twenty round SMG with the same conceal rating as a Predator. Throw in Burst Fire Control edge, qick draw concealable holster, and add an adept with Quick Draw, Improved Reflexes and Improved Ability and sit back and watch the GM realise what he's allowed. biggrin.gif

I was considering getting two, taking ambidexterity and have the PC shave his head for the full Agent 47 deal but figured that'd probably be just a little too much. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
I personally would love to see a field conversion kit to let you use a conventional pistol round in the P90. 9mm Para maybe? I don't know what case the 5.9mm round is based on.

AFAIK, the 5.7x28mm is not truly based on any earlier cartridge. Neither the case shoulder diameter of 0.309" nor the rebated rim of 0.305" seem to be shared with any other commonly used cartridge. Without changing a lot of parts, the biggest projectile diameter you're going to get is around 0.28".
Dog
You know, it's a tool box. I don't care. You put the tools in for the job, that's all.
wink.gif
Musashi Forever
QUOTE (Siege)
Although the Micro Uzi is another serious competitor in size. Although why they fixed it with a bayonet...

That was a full size UZI with the bayonet. I think is make sense if your using them for close-quarters stuff like house to house room clearing, melee might come into play. Still, those Israelis are crazy bastards...I like it! grinbig.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Musashi Forever)
QUOTE (Siege @ Oct 25 2005, 04:42 PM)
Although the Micro Uzi is another serious competitor in size.  Although why they fixed it with a bayonet...

That was a full size UZI with the bayonet. I think is make sense if your using them for close-quarters stuff like house to house room clearing, melee might come into play. Still, those Israelis are crazy bastards...I like it! grinbig.gif

IIRC there was a period when the Israelis equipped some infantry units with Uzis as primary weapons in lieu of (unavailable) assault rifles so the bayonet thing kind of sort of makes sense.

Could be wrong about that, though...
Cray74
Since the advent of burst-firing heavy pistols (and with easy access to high concealability assault rifles), I've had little use for SR's SMGs. About all I use is the Supermach for its compact suppressive fire fun.
eidolon
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Oct 25 2005, 06:24 PM)

Any magazine can lose round or two when dropped, especially when full...shit happens.

Especially if said magazine is for the M-16, and you're on the qualifying range.

Then it spits rounds up like a squeezed baby.
Raygun
QUOTE (Dog @ Oct 26 2005, 12:12 AM)
You know, it's a tool box.  I don't care.  You put the tools in for the job, that's all.
wink.gif

Good answer, Sam. smile.gif

But if I had a choice and the ammunition was plentiful... I'd probably go with a suppressed 9" full-auto AR15 in .300 Whisper (Bushmaster Carbon-15 receivers (flat top upper); in SR that would be an M23C according to moi), and pack mostly subsonic 240 grain Sierra Matchkings, with a couple mags of "oh shit" supersonic loads using 127 grain M993 AP bullets in case things go horribly awry.

But that's only if I had to use an SMG. If the environment permits, I'd probably go with a suppressed SA58 Para Congo. M993 if body armor is an issue, Hornady TAP 110 otherwise.
Eddie Furious
Well, I have used a variety of weapons in my career. My preference was for the HK MP5 series, but that was due to familiarity. I have used Walthers, Sterlings (L2A3,L34A1 & Mk.7), AKSU-74s, Colt 9mm, and the HK MP5 series. The last one I was issued was an MP5 PDW with a suppressor. I found it to have different qualities and advantages compared to other submachineguns. I guess what it really boils down to is what the job is and where it is at what point in time. Hauling around an HK MP5K in the middle of Germany in the late 80's, "cool". In the middle of Iraq whilst SCUD hunting in the early 90's, not "cool".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012