Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's your Favorite SMG?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Well, it depends on the situation. Obviously, any SMG is better than no SMG.

If I'm going into combat in a scenario where I know my opponants are unlikely to be wearing armor, Thompson all the way. High RoF, .45 ACP, heavy as a classic car and controlable.

On the other hand, WITH armor, I think I want a main battle rifle. Failing that, I'll take the P90.

For day-to-day carry, I'd say Uzi or a MicroUzi, or perhaps even a Glock 19 machine pistol. (I think it's the glock 19. Don't hold me to it.)

Depends, am I packing a Carbine and have the drop on you? It's not the firearm, its the operator. I know men who have used Browning HPs to kill soldiers armed with Port Said AK-47s.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Oct 25 2005, 06:24 PM)
I cannot remember the source, but I have also read about P90 magazines losing rounds when dropped.

Any magazine can lose round or two when dropped, especially when full...shit happens. If you've dropped your magazine on the ground, your problems are greater than the two rounds that popped out cool.gif

Heh, Pack 'em too tight and you have trouble getting the buggers into battery!
Lindt
QUOTE (Arethusa)
The Mac 10/11 series can be powerful; there are variants from .380ACP up to .45ACP. It's not a single gun.

Wow, I was going to vote for the Tomson (I did anyway), but the idea of a mac-10 in .45 just seems like a lovely way to ruin your wrist (and everyone downrange's day).

Critias
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
For day-to-day carry, I'd say Uzi or a MicroUzi, or perhaps even a Glock 19 machine pistol. (I think it's the glock 19. Don't hold me to it.)

Nope, the 19's just their compact (not sub-compact, mind, just compact) 9mm. Either that, or there's some super secret "full auto" button somewhere on mine that I just haven't found yet, in which case I'm very excited. wink.gif
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Cray74)
Since the advent of burst-firing heavy pistols (and with easy access to high concealability assault rifles), I've had little use for SR's SMGs. About all I use is the Supermach for its compact suppressive fire fun.

Not so fast there tex. According to your logic every HRT would be kitted out with Glock 18s and M93Rs. Yet we still see full size firearms. The reasons being, accuracy (longer barrel, better sight radius), controllability (more mass and surface area/length to help absorb recoil), heat dissipation, optionability (the accessories (crap) you throw on the weapon) & the benefit of a full buttstock (collapsible, fixed or nonconventional).

These things are important for any HRT, accuracy will mean you kill the terrorist and not the hostage, controllability will mean the second and third round will be closer to the mark when you Mozambique him and the heat dissipation means you don't burn your little fingers when there is a protracted engagement. Optionability is a benefit because it can do a lot to improve your weapons performance.

Now having said that, sometimes you just need to go through a window with no more than a 9mm pistol and a few extra 20rd magazines.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 25 2005, 02:29 PM)

Nope, the 19's just their compact (not sub-compact, mind, just compact) 9mm. Either that, or there's some super secret "full auto" button somewhere on mine that I just haven't found yet, in which case I'm very excited. wink.gif

When you find that secret button, be sure that you're ready for it, them Glock19s ain't too heavy...
grinbig.gif
Raygun
It's not that bad...
Arethusa
QUOTE (Lindt)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Oct 25 2005, 12:55 PM)
The Mac 10/11 series can be powerful; there are variants from .380ACP up to .45ACP.  It's not a single gun.

Wow, I was going to vote for the Tomson (I did anyway), but the idea of a mac-10 in .45 just seems like a lovely way to ruin your wrist (and everyone downrange's day).

Personally, I'm a big fan of the .380ACP M11.

1600 rounds per minute is death-hose beautiful.

Second place for the .45ACP M10, but only with the ridiculously large suppressor.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Raygun)
It's not that bad...

Looks to me that he was ready for it. wink.gif
Link
Eddie, Cray74 was talking about SR and without the optional Heat Dissipation rules. biggrin.gif

As for favourite SMG, I went for the MP5. Like BMW, Bose & Beckenbauer, it has that germanic quality of precision with a dash of style.

Krazy
as has been said, take the tool for the job. I stated my prefrence, and why I didn't pick some of the others. and so what if some of my logic os a bit off. reason is reality, if I think somehting is true, it will effect the way I operate correct? if I think that my p-90 could have a problem hitting the floor then I won't dive so hard, may mean I'm a bit slower, see my point. I did a training course where the weapon to be issued was way our of date, and was considerably weak. ( a 4" .38 is very low on my list of wepons to take to a fight) however the reason was, they were proven, indestructable, and you would never have to worry about the gun. any moron could run one, it takes some stress out of the firefight. of course unless there was a real need for it, I'd rather carry buckshot than an SMG. funny, russian federal HRTs (no longer spetsznaz) got issued ak-74s, threw 'em out and swiched to back to shotguns for pretty much all CQB work. they have a few tricks. I love dumpshock and its perpensity for apples vs. oranges vs. mustardball arguments
Critias
QUOTE (Krazy)
as has been said, take the tool for the job. I stated my prefrence, and why I didn't pick some of the others. and so what if some of my logic os a bit off. reason is reality, if I think somehting is true, it will effect the way I operate correct?

Why do you seem so stubbornly decided on remaining willfully incorrect, though? I mean, you made a mistake -- accept it, and move on. Don't stand by your mistake, clinging to it like a drowning man with a piece of driftwood, or something. You were wrong, someone called you on it -- thank them for their knowledge, and truck on with the conversation. If you're wrong and someone tells you so (and they're correct), change your outlook and opinion, having had the chance to learn something.

Don't go "oh yeah? well I think this is right, so even though it's not right, I'm gonna go on thinking that it is!" like you seem to be doing. It's kind of jackassish, and immature.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Oct 25 2005, 10:37 PM)

Hehe, the myth of the 31-round AR15 mag wink.gif
Krazy
exactly how is that. yes I was corrected on one point. a technical detail. my bad. however I seems interesting to me that when my opinions do not mesh with someone elses world view, that I'm utterly wrong. my original post contained one techical detail, (yes I was wrong) one bit of half remembered speculation and some opinion. I accept the fact that yes having not handled any fully automatic weapons my personal experiance is not the best sourse of information. I also am a student of history, and certain weapons tend to expend more ammo to hit a target than others. I feel that it is telling that police in confrontations often worry more about the stray rounds heading past them than rounds that could hit them. unrelated question, am I the only person here that thinks that preseption is more improtant to reality? sorry bout my misinformedness jacking the thread
Siege
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Musashi Forever @ Oct 25 2005, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (Siege @ Oct 25 2005, 04:42 PM)
Although the Micro Uzi is another serious competitor in size.  Although why they fixed it with a bayonet...

That was a full size UZI with the bayonet. I think is make sense if your using them for close-quarters stuff like house to house room clearing, melee might come into play. Still, those Israelis are crazy bastards...I like it! grinbig.gif

IIRC there was a period when the Israelis equipped some infantry units with Uzis as primary weapons in lieu of (unavailable) assault rifles so the bayonet thing kind of sort of makes sense.

Could be wrong about that, though...

You can make any pointed thing into a successful weapon with enough motivation, but the practical application of what essentially becomes a short spear strikes me as...well...limited.

I seem to recall something similar about the shortage of assault rifles, but don't quote me.

-Siege
Raygun
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

No better example of natural selection at work. It takes some effort to be that stupid. wink.gif
mfb
very literally.

why isn't my baby, the HK227-S, up there? small size, high cap, high damage, integral suppression--no full-auto is the only downside.
Crusher Bob
You attach a bayonet to your pistol so that when you throw it at superman, you can be sure he will duck to get out of the way.
Taran
My favorite SMG

I play mages, what?
Musashi Forever
QUOTE (Raygun)
It's not that bad...

Thanks for the link Raygun. I never would have guessed that they would be so controllable...one handed even. I am assuming that the gun in the clip was 9mm, do the Glock MPs come in other claibers? I think 10mm would be nice, .45 too, but wouldn't that break your wrist?

Does anyone here use Flechette ammo in their SR SMGs? It seems like the bonuses you get for burst or full auto fire would make up for the armor bonus. Especially in the Supermach to make up for the lighter ammo it uses.
Lindt
QUOTE (Taran)
My favorite SMG

I play mages, what?

Very nice. Much tighter package then a P90, or a Mac-11.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Musashi Forever)
I am assuming that the gun in the clip was 9mm, do the Glock MPs come in other claibers?

The Fire Selector System for Glock Pistols can be installed on any Glock pistol, yes, including the subcompact 10mm Auto Glock 29. Breaking your wrist should be unlikely, since automatic fire is more like a steady push than a sudden slap, but I wouldn't bet on you being able to point the thing downrange for the full 10 rounds.
Critias
Depends. From the looks of some of the guys I've seen at the gun shop I shoot at, "downrange" counts as anything in your front arc.
Raygun
QUOTE (Musashi Forever)
Thanks for the link Raygun.  I never would have guessed that they would be so controllable...one handed even.  I am assuming that the gun in the clip was 9mm, do the Glock MPs come in other claibers?

Like Aus said, the FSSG is a very simple device that can be mounted to any model of Glock pistol (except the Glock 18, which is already select fire), and Glock makes pistols in .380 Auto, 9x19mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, 10mm Auto, .45 ACP, and .45 GAP.

The majority of the shots in that clip are of either Glock 17s or 19s (both 9x19mm), but at about 9 seconds in, you'll see close-up profile shots of two different guns firing. The first to fire is a Glock 17 (fires 18 rounds without the slide locking back, at around 1200 rpm). The second is obviously another model firing a different cartridge, but which model it actually is, I can't be sure. The ejected cases definitely look like .45 ACP, but the frame looks like a compact (as opposed to a full-size or subcompact). However, Glock doesn't make a compact .45 ACP (and this video was out a couple of years before the Glock 38 was introduced). The next closest things would be the subcompact Glock 30 or the Glock 23 in .40 S&W. Anyway, it fires 10 rounds without slide lock (at about 985 rpm). In these two shots you can also clearly see the FSSG attachment protruding from the rear end of the slide.

I think 10mm would be nice, .45 too, but wouldn't that break your wrist?

To back up Aus again, yeah, very unlikely. It would certainly open up your pattern dispersion. Even when he fires that .45 ACP (or at least, what I'm pretty sure is a .45 ACP), you can tell he has to fight against it a bit more.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

I've seen it from time to time. Hell the Canadians had these cheap plastic Mags that they were fond of calling thier "28 round" magazines!
Siege
I'd buy a Glock just for that modification.

Not that I'd ever use it, but the giggle factor alone makes it worthwhile. grinbig.gif

-Siege
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (mmu1)
I like the Thompson, personally... It's like a classic car. Of course, that's also about how much it weighs (even though it feels just about indestructible, and the extra weight made it pretty controllable in my experience) so in a real-life combat situation, I'd probably go with something more modern, like an MP5. (if we limit this to guns I've actually fired)

i'm sorry but i would still have to stick with the thompson, fairly reliable, pretty good forward weight so recoil wasnt 'as' bad, and besides, nothing say "DIE you sob" like a .45cal piece of lead, except several hundred of them

Musashi Forever
QUOTE (Siege @ Oct 27 2005, 01:01 AM)

Not that I'd ever use it, but the giggle factor alone makes it worthwhile. grinbig.gif

-Siege

How legal are these things?
blakkie
QUOTE (Musashi Forever @ Oct 27 2005, 10:06 AM)

-Siege

They look like they are maybe trying to loophole, at least in some places. It has specific wording on that site about not modifying the weapon.

EDIT: Although that might also just be a selling feature, and it is still only legal for military or LE. I seem to remember some sort of trigger mod thing where you pull the trigger once and it pulled the trigger 3 times, and they made the claim they were legal. What ever happened to that i'm not sure.

EDIT2: Ya, it's military/law enforcement only.
SL James
QUOTE (Musashi Forever @ Oct 27 2005, 10:06 AM)

-Siege

Well, it's not the legality of the conversion kit I'd worry about so much as the Class III weapons license needed to possess most automatic weapons like a new Glock 19 Full-Auto.
Arethusa
There is no such thing as a Class III license. Class III is a category of firearms, and license to own is individual to each weapon. If you want to own three M249s, you will have to file for each separately, and, of course, they must have been made before 1986. After 1986, it's military, law enforcement, and a specific class of deals (who can only own them as 'dealer samples').
nezumi
Does that still stand with the assault rifle ban expired?
Arethusa
The assault weapon ban had nothing to do with that. It banned pistol grips and bayonette lugs and magazines over 10 rounds. That was basically it.

The laws dealing with actual assault weapons are the 1934 National Firearms Act and the 1986 ban on registering new fully automatic weapons, which is why any fully automatic weapons made before 1986 that are still transferrable and legal are ridiculously expensive. An M249 stateside can run you around $50,000. All the expiration of the assault weapon ban meant was that everyone could stop paying $80 for old magazines and cut off their ugly thumbhole stocks.
KarmaInferno
The assault weapon ban was a masterwork of "sounds impressive but dosen't actually acheive anything".

It banned certain weapons not by how they operated, as on might expect, but by how they looked.

So there was this endless cycle. Manufacturers looking at the banned feature list ("Okay, no pistol grips, no bayonet, but a stock is okay as long as it dosen't fold.") and just making assault weapons without those features. Then the ban would be revised with new cosmetic features that were now verboten. And the manufacturers would go back and redesign again. Over and over.

It was like trying to ban alcohol by what style of bottle it came in.

To make it completely clear to the unfamiliar, assault weapons, as the term is understood around the world (select fire, automatic weapons, generally intended for paramilitary combat use) have been very strictly regulated in the United States since 1934 and no new ones have been allowed into civilian hands since 1986. The recently sunsetted Assault Weapon that Karma is talking about quite literally never dealt with assault weapons to begin with, so the name is some of a misnomer— not exactly unintentionally, either.

Hopefully, this ends this threadjack. I want to hear more about my thompson gunners, Van Owen and the rest.
SL James
Oh, damn. I knew that. My mistake. I was thinking of something else.
Musashi Forever
Surprising that SR didn't pick up on some sort of updated Thompson.

I can see the Street Samurai Catalog entry already... "An undeniable classic updated for life in the shadows. Great new tech, same great look!"

It could have a higher stopping power than the average SMG, but a lower conceal rating due to the high capacity drum magazine. Complete with a smartgun link and lightweight polymers instead of milled steel.
Foreigner
I voted for the Thompson, mainly because it's the only SMG with which I have any RL experience--I actually had an opportunity to fire one, an M-1921A1, when I was about 15 or so, if not just a bit younger. For those of you who may be new here, I'll be 42 on May 30th of next year.

Yes, it's heavy as H**L, overly complex, and has been obsolescent for at least 40 years, but it's put together like a Swiss watch, and reliable as all-get-out.

It's also quite controllable, in part because of its weight, as long as you restrict your full-auto use to short bursts-- i.e., three to five rounds per trigger pull.

My second choice would probably be the Browning Automatic Rifle (any variant), but that wasn't among the options. Granted, it's very heavy--between 18 and 20 pounds, depending upon what variant. However, it is QUITE well-balanced; I had the opportunity to handle one once, and most of the weight was exactly where it should've been--between my right and left hands (the former was on the pistol grip, and the latter on the fore-end). Its main flaw is the feed device; it only has a 20-round magazine (which doesn't last long at a maximum rate of fire of 600 rounds per minute--10 rounds per second in SR terms), but how many other 20th Century man-portable automatic weapons (with the exception of the M-249 SAW and the M-60 GPMG, and their equivalents from other nations) pack enough punch to stop a CAR using standard ammo (.30-'06 Springfield/7.62 X 63mm, in this case)?

--Foreigner
Arethusa
Well, the BAR's not a sub machinegun, which is what the poll's about, but of all the thompson gunners, Roland was the best.
Cray74
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Oct 25 2005, 08:25 PM)
Since the advent of burst-firing heavy pistols (and with easy access to high concealability assault rifles), I've had little use for SR's SMGs. About all I use is the Supermach for its compact suppressive fire fun.

Not so fast there tex. According to your logic every HRT would be kitted out with Glock 18s and M93Rs. Yet we still see full size firearms.

There seems to be some confusion here on your part. I didn't post "my logic." I posted "my opinion." You know, the opinion that shapes the decisions of my characters in a make-believe storyland called "Shadowrun."

With respect to the question posed by this thread, I couldn't give more than a wet fart about HRTs. I was answering for my made-up characters in my home games and what suits their SR 3rd edition skills, rules, and preferences.

In that make-believe world and with that specific group of characters, my PCs prefer to use either big guns (assault rifles or MGs if they can get away with it) or heavy pistols (sometimes burst-firing, sometimes not). About the only SMG that suits me in SR3 is the Ingram Supermach, and that's in only niche applications.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Oct 25 2005, 08:25 PM)

Not so fast there tex. According to your logic every HRT would be kitted out with Glock 18s and M93Rs. Yet we still see full size firearms.

There seems to be some confusion here on your part. I didn't post "my logic." I posted "my opinion." You know, the opinion that shapes the decisions of my characters in a make-believe storyland called "Shadowrun."

With respect to the question posed by this thread, I couldn't give more than a wet fart about HRTs. I was answering for my made-up characters in my home games and what suits their SR 3rd edition skills, rules, and preferences.

In that make-believe world and with that specific group of characters, my PCs prefer to use either big guns (assault rifles or MGs if they can get away with it) or heavy pistols (sometimes burst-firing, sometimes not). About the only SMG that suits me in SR3 is the Ingram Supermach, and that's in only niche applications.

Fair enough. I have too much experience with firearms in real life to be able to suspend reality as readily as a lot of people.
Raygun
QUOTE (Arethusa)
There is no such thing as a Class III license. Class III is a category of firearms, and license to own is individual to each weapon.

You've got that backwards. There's no such thing as a Class III firearm. Title II is the category for full-auto firearms. There most certainly is such thing as a Class III Federal Firearms License. It allows a person to legally sell Title II firearms restricted by the National Firearms Act (i.e. full auto, suppressors, etc...). Here.

It makes more sense for individuals who want to own Title II firearms to go the Tax Stamp route ($200 per firearm + FBI background check passed = done deal), rather than deal with the annual Special Occupational Tax (US $500) and compliance checks you have to go through in order to be a Class III dealer. But in order to have the firearm transferred to you via Tax Stamp, you have to do so through a Class III dealer. When you're a Class III, you can possess as many Title II firearms as your checkbook allows.
Arethusa
Gah, of course. Keep mixing up Classes and Titles. BATFESpeak can all run together, sometimes. Would be nice if any of it made any damn sense, so the CIA decided they wanted Roland dead.
Raygun
Yeah, it definitely gets confusing. Pretty sure that's by design.
Kagetenshi
Hey Arethusa, you going to be in Denmark anytime soon? Got a job for you.

I'm a big fan of the Thompson gun, but you need to be wearing a fedora and duster or trench coat to be able to use one.

~J
Shrapnel
In SR, I'd have to say that my favorite SMGs are a toss-up between the SuperMach 100 (P90) and the HK227 (MP5 variant).

I like the SuperMach 100 for the suppressive fire, but I wish they would have made it armor-piercing, like the P90 is in RL. I would be happy to pay more for ammo if it were automatically armor-piercing, just like the Barret 121. That's how they should have handled the SuperMach 100, in my opinion. (As a side note, has anyone seen how high the price is for 5.7x28 ammo?!? eek.gif )

I like the HK227 for the simplicity of it. SA/BF/FA, 7M, and a laser sight! It's pretty much good to go right out of the box. I only wish it had a slightly larger magazine capacity.

As for SMGs I hate, I would have to go with the Ingram Smartgun (Mac10). The ONLY reason I can't stand it is the artist's rendition of it. They drew it with a suppressor attached, yet claimed it has GVII, and they also try to claim it's as concealable as an Ares Predator! I know it's kind of a petty thing to bicker about, but it's a pet peeve of mine. If they're gonna base their guns off of real examples, they should do a little research first. (As another side note, there's a good example of a suppressed Mac10 in Pulp Fiction. I believe there was also a John Wayne movie with one in it. Suppressed .45 SMGs rock!)

Now, let's talk about SMGs in real life... The only one I've shot so far will always be my favorite. It was an HK51, with vertical foregrip and collapsible stock. (Imagine an MP5-PDW, but in .308 caliber! biggrin.gif love.gif And yes, it was full-auto! wink.gif ) It's more of an SBR (Short Barrelled Rifle) than an SMG, but it still counts in my book!
SL James
Actually, by the book the Smartgun is, IIRC, the best deal in terms of goodies, capacity and price. Unless you want Smartlink II. But then it's not alone in the pantheon of SR SMGs without Smartlink II.
Critias
What makes you think the Ingram SuperMach is (1) called "SuperMach 100," and (2) anything like a P90?
SL James
Well, the picture in Fields of Fire is the inbred demonspawn of a P90 and a Calico.

Regardless, I fail to see why it matters than you can get other ammo besides AP for it.
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 27 2005, 10:39 PM)
What makes you think the Ingram SuperMach is (1) called "SuperMach 100," and (2) anything like a P90?

Like SL James said, you should check out the original picture in Fields of Fire. It definetely looks like a P90 to me. And it was originally called the Ingram SuperMach 100, when it was first released in Fields of Fire.

In the picture from Fields of Fire, pg. 31, it shows a bullpup style SMG with a top loading horizontal magazine, almost exactly like the P90. I do agree with SL James that the magizine does look kinda "Calico-ish", but I still think it's a P90.

If you have any canon examples from 3rd Edition claiming otherwise, please feel free to share them. I would certainly hate to make a wrong assumption based on an outdated picture, especially if there is evidence to the contrary.

SL James, on the Ingram Smartgun, I do agree that it is a good deal, weapon-wise. My only real problem with it is that they drew it with a suppressor attached, but failed to make that in integral part of the weapon. Instead, they claimed it has GVII. I also have a problem with the concealability rating, based on the drawing. I could understand a concealability of 5 if it looked like a normal Ingram, but with the big fake suppressor on it, it should be nowhere near a 5. Just my opinion, of course.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012