Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prices for old weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ed_209a
I want to make firearms that are very common today availalble in my SR game. I have stats already, but how much should they cost?

These older weapons will come from two sources. One, actual 50-year old weapons. I bet SR3 already has rules for used stuff... Two, I imagine there will be people with "shadow factories" making lower tech firearms with automated factories.

So, my question is, what kind of price cut should I use for a 2001 Glock, or 1911, or Beretta that is made with 2050s production machinery?
Wiz In Red
The actual vintage weapons would be antiques, and thus highly priced (dependant on condition). More than likely the manufactured knockoffs will be sold as genuine by unscrupulous individuals. I don't really see the point to buying knockoffs of old weapons when you can get newer ones for as cheap as they are (or take them off of corpses if all else fails).
Shrike30
If memory serves, SR4 lists the L36 as being about 150 nuyen. Fabbing your own firearm, if you had access to CAD/CAM and the raw materials needed, really shouldn't be hard.

100-150 nuyen for 100-150 year old handgun design sounds reasonable. Hell, the most expensive part will be getting the old ammo needed for it.

Well cared for weapons can last much longer than 50 years. One of the pieces in the family arsenal is an M1911 (not A1, note... original 1911, made sometime between 1911 and 1920). Asides from some minor rust damage on the exterior, the piece still functions reliably, and is fairly accurate.
Critias
I wouldn't call a circa 2000 weapon an "antique," in Shadowrun's time. I'll grant there's roughly a ten-year difference here, but there are a ton of old SKS's and whatnot you can grab for plenty cheap, IRL, that are from the 1950's-1960's.

I have trouble picturing all the AK-47's in the world suddenly becoming valued collectable antiques.
Wiz In Red
Meh...maybe. Let's pause and consider. AK-47s are the the third most common commodity in the universe (Hydrogen and Stupidity being 1 and 2 respectively). They're cheaply mass produced and sold to everyone that wants them. Riddle me this, what's the most commonly captured and destroyed weapon taken from rebels and insurgents around the world? I think the AK-47 will go the way of Confederate money...so common it's destroyed without thought. By the time people want them again, there's not many left.

100-150 nuyen for 100-150 year old handgun design sounds reasonable. Hell, the most expensive part will be getting the old ammo needed for it.

Shrike is right. With Shadowrun standardizing ammo the way it has, where are you going to dig up the 7.62mm ammo to make it worth bothering with as a runner's weapon. Talk about needing to conserve ammo. Gun smithing is all well and good, and you could produce ammo yourself, but how much of your time are you going to dedicate toward it? How much room? How much nuyen.gif ? Can you make XX ammo that won't mess up your cheap ass AK-47?

You can buy a cheapo P.O.S. gun with universal ammo and save yourself tons of headache.
Ed_209a
Regarding ammo, in my game, the standard ammo in 2050 is much the same as today. .380, 9mm, .40, 10mm, .45ACP are still the big names in handgun/SMG, 5.56mm, 7.62mm are still big in rifles.

I am still thinking about the 6mm-class hybrids that are the rage right now.
Omer Joel
QUOTE (Critias)
I wouldn't call a circa 2000 weapon an "antique," in Shadowrun's time. I'll grant there's roughly a ten-year difference here, but there are a ton of old SKS's and whatnot you can grab for plenty cheap, IRL, that are from the 1950's-1960's.

Remember that SR cannon's AK-97 (which is in 4E as well) is supposed to be from 1997; so, anything from the late 1990's on, such as the IMI Tavor TAR-21, has a possibility of being around.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
Regarding ammo, in my game, the standard ammo in 2050 is much the same as today. .380, 9mm, .40, 10mm, .45ACP are still the big names in handgun/SMG, 5.56mm, 7.62mm are still big in rifles.

I am still thinking about the 6mm-class hybrids that are the rage right now.

Shadowrun has waffled on this a couple of times, but the current drive seems to be towards most of the ammunition you can get being caseless. While the calibers may not have changed, old weapons intended to fire cased ammunition aren't going to function properly with the commonly availiable caseless stuff, and *getting* cased ammo might be hard.

Your game may be completely different, of course, but it's an idea you might want to think about.
otomik
thats a really tricky subject because the way a gun is made can change without the actual model changing.

early SIGs had a stamped metal slide for inexpensive fabrication, with the introduction of .40S&W and less expensive machining processes you can get a .40 caliber 226 or 229 that uses a machined slide. I suspect Glock also did the same with their previously stampled metal slide pistols, at least with some models, the Glock 36 has a slide thinner than the Glock 21, Glock 30 and even the 17.

many people also find that metal injection molded parts and polymer parts have been introduced to weapons that didn't previously have them. you'll find 1911 people and Beretta people talk about this occasionally, in most cases it isn't noticable in some cases it is.

Some guns need to change processes because otherwise it would impossible to produce them at competitive prices, in some cases that means that you have to shift production of certain parts to another country. IMBEL of Brazil manufactures the Slides and Frames for all Springfield Armory 1911s, to my knowledge the only other quality 1911s made at that good of a price are made by Norinco of China and Armscor of the Phillipines.

now my 2 cents: with canon 2050 production technology logically everything should be made by nanites so all prices are about raw materials, transportation, r&d, operating nanite production facilities, marketing including media synergy of product placement with trid studios, lawsuits by anti-gun idiots, lobbyists in washington keeping the idiots at bay and defending 2nd amendment rights. then there's pricing by what the market will bear because you don't have to offer this product at the cheapest possible, just cheaper than someone using older non-nanite tech (such as slaves making knockoffs that try to ride on your coat-tails and undermine all that money you spent on branding like Taurus's PT-92). just like the proverb goes, you don't have to run faster than the zombies, just faster than the slowest guy running from the zombies.

of course all this is ridiculous because if things are made by nanites people should be using superstrong and lightweight superalloys and not Uberheavium. So I think you need to follow the proverb and price it whatever your players are willing to pay especially if it's superior in some aspects to it's 2050's counterpart, which is shouldn't. Spycraft went this route, if by stats it's inferior, even if it's fantastically obscure and a collectors item an agency has no problem procuring them at incredible prices (Steyr ACR is cheap), if it's a great weapon by stats even if it's ubiquituous and has a street price of less than a crackwhore handjob it's fanstically difficult for the agency to procure (AK-47 in spycraft again).

Makarovs don't go for less than 200 dollars, really I haven't seen any decent surplus gun for less than 200. so I think 200-300 is a realistic baseline for a old used surplus weapon still functional and somewhat competitive with current day models. Now you need to do something to increase the price from there to what your players are willing to pay because what if it's better than shadowrun's guns?

useful ways to extort money from the PCs

polymer naturally degrades over the decades, the frame has cracked, all models will have a similar problem with cracked frames because it's no longer in production you must have a new frame custom made.

this weapon wasn't made with smartlink compatability in mind, you're going to have to take it to a gunsmith to make some modifications (alternatively, they take it to a smith and only an exterior smartlink that reduces concealability or something else that degrades the stats is possible or it's entirely impossible)

basic things like extra magazines and ammo cost a lot because it's no longer in production. gunsmith/reloader must find exotic dies and charge you a boatload for ammo and certain types of ammo won't be available ("you want APDS for 8mm Nambu, yeah right chummer sarcastic.gif )
Ed_209a
Thank you all for your input.

"Shadowrun has waffled on this a couple of times, but the current drive seems to be towards most of the ammunition you can get being caseless."

I wouldn't say anything bad about a GM who decided otherwise, but I feel the downsides of caseless ammo outweigh the benefits, particularly when polymer cased ammo becomes practical. Thus, all guns are still cased in my little corner of the multiverse.

"Remember that SR cannon's AK-97 is supposed to be from 1997"

Likewise, my personal take on this is that the AK-97 is little more than a AK101 or AK103 that is modified for smartgun compatibility. YMMV

To me, the biggest functional difference between modern(2060) and modern(2005) weapons is that the 2060s weapons will be smartgun-ready, ie microservos in the magazine release, safety lever, maybe even a mechanism to charge the weapon.
Weapons from now would not have any of that functionality. If you attached a smartgun to a mount like a modern tactical light, all it would do is put a reticle in your view.

So, do I expect all my players to shelve their Manhunters and Predators for USPs and Glocks? No. But I like giving them the option.

And a gun-fu adept with a pair of chrome 1911s just has so many inherent style points to me.

It is like comparing a 60s muscle car to a modern import tuner. Both are cool, but different.
ShadowDragon8685
"All it would do is put a reticle in your view."

I can change my freaking mags and charge the weapon manually. PLEASE give me that reticle! nyahnyah.gif

Heh. I'll dual-wield. One is for when the other runs out. My right hand is holding a Predator. 10mm Caseless, limited production run, solid chrome and stamped from a die signed by Damian Knight himself. And I had it Dikoted.

The other is a Colt M1911A1 so old it was carried through the gates of Auschwitz when the GIs showed up. And yes, I have documentation to prove it. The internal workings have been expertly reproduced by master gunsmiths, and it's been made to accept a Smartgunlink unit. The exteroir is old and pitted and has that "I've been through every war in the last century and a half" look

Both of them are quite, quite deadly. smile.gif

BTW, I was in an argument with a friend of mine. I have trouble believing that .45 ACP will have any good performance against 2060s low-profile armor, because it's a subsonic round. Raygun, a little help here? I think the .45 would be good if you bypassed armor or shot someone who was unarmored, but I'm not seeing it doing much against an armored target.
TheHappyAnarchist
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
I wouldn't say anything bad about a GM who decided otherwise, but I feel the downsides of caseless ammo outweigh the benefits, particularly when polymer cased ammo becomes practical. Thus, all guns are still cased in my little corner of the multiverse.

Just a curiosity, what are these downsides to caseless ammo?

Especially for a shadowrunner?
otomik
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
BTW, I was in an argument with a friend of mine. I have trouble believing that .45 ACP will have any good performance against 2060s low-profile armor, because it's a subsonic round. Raygun, a little help here? I think the .45 would be good if you bypassed armor or shot someone who was unarmored, but I'm not seeing it doing much against an armored target.

use the search function and you can bring up a classic episode of Shadowrun Guntalk with Raygun

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...9&hl=cz52&st=75
QUOTE (Raygun)
If it was, you'd think NIJ would be all over reporting that considering that the .45 ACP is one of the more popular handgun cartridges out there, but they don't. My guess is that if NIJ Level I does stop the .45 ACP 230 FMJ, it won't do it within backface deformation limits (1.44"), which is why NIJ doesn't qualify it.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist @ Dec 8 2005, 09:37 PM)

Not many from the user's perspective. The user mainly just shoves the magazine in the weapon, charges the weapon, and pulls the trigger. The downsides mainly effect the design and manufacturing side.

Ups:
-Caseless ammo will be lighter, but with polymer cased ammo, not as much lighter as with metal cases.
-If you use square powder blocks, you can use the space in a magazine better, so you will can get more rounds per magazine.
-Since you don't have to eject anything, you can have a higher rate of fire.
-Since you don't have to eject anything, not as much dirt can get into the weapon.

Downs:
-You have to design a very good gas seal mechanism between bolt and barrel into your caseless weapon. This makes for a more complex weapon.
Metal cases do this very well, because the metal expands against the bolt and barrel when it gets hot. The poly cased rounds I have seen have a metal collar, probably for this reason.
-Your ammo is not as weatherproof as cased ammo can be.
-Your weapon will run hotter. Ejected rounds carry some of the heat out with them, and let cooler outside air in.

The effect of these downsides is that the firearm company will have to create a more complex (and expensive) weapon, just to have a few more rounds in the magazine.
It won't be any more inherently accurate, or hard hitting, just lighter ammo.

I don't see the margin in it for the manufacturer. Too much trouble for too little return. If I, as a consumer, could buy (all else being equal) a 900 dollar caseless pistol with 12 rounds, or a 700 dollar cased pistol with 10 rounds, I know where my money will go.
otomik
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist @ Dec 8 2005, 09:37 PM)

Not many from the user's perspective. The user mainly just shoves the magazine in the weapon, charges the weapon, and pulls the trigger. The downsides mainly effect the design and manufacturing side.

Ups:
-Caseless ammo will be lighter, but with polymer cased ammo, not as much lighter as with metal cases.
-If you use square powder blocks, you can use the space in a magazine better, so you will can get more rounds per magazine.
-Since you don't have to eject anything, you can have a higher rate of fire.
-Since you don't have to eject anything, not as much dirt can get into the weapon.

Downs:
-You have to design a very good gas seal mechanism between bolt and barrel into your caseless weapon. This makes for a more complex weapon.
Metal cases do this very well, because the metal expands against the bolt and barrel when it gets hot. The poly cased rounds I have seen have a metal collar, probably for this reason.
-Your ammo is not as weatherproof as cased ammo can be.
-Your weapon will run hotter. Ejected rounds carry some of the heat out with them, and let cooler outside air in.

The effect of these downsides is that the firearm company will have to create a more complex (and expensive) weapon, just to have a few more rounds in the magazine.
It won't be any more inherently accurate, or hard hitting, just lighter ammo.

I don't see the margin in it for the manufacturer. Too much trouble for too little return. If I, as a consumer, could buy (all else being equal) a 900 dollar caseless pistol with 12 rounds, or a 700 dollar cased pistol with 10 rounds, I know where my money will go.

metal collar? have you seen Natec's Spectrum PCA? are you saying it's desirable to have a metal collar to exploit the blish effect?

the bit about not as much dirt can get into the weapon has to be tempered with the fact that perhaps more unburned residue can accumulate in the chamber. penny wise pound foulish IMHO, sums up cased ammo nicely.

and just looking at the insides of the G11 I'd be scared to ever have to field strip that thing.

not a bad post but I think you could elaborate on some of your points, like why a higher rate of fire might be desirable, they put some thought into the G11 with it's burst as well as it's relatively slow autofire.
Raygun
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
So, my question is, what kind of price cut should I use for a 2001 Glock, or 1911, or Beretta that is made with 2050s production machinery?

Pretty much a crapshoot there, I would say. There's no way any of us can tell what kind of new production techniques will be around by 2050s, though we can assume that the whole nanite thing would be a pretty big deal. But concerning how much of an actual difference in cost that would make, there's no telling. You might as well just guess. If you think a 20% decrease is appropriate for your game, so be it.

QUOTE (Shrike30)
Shadowrun has waffled on this a couple of times, but the current drive seems to be towards most of the ammunition you can get being caseless. While the calibers may not have changed, old weapons intended to fire cased ammunition aren't going to function properly with the commonly availiable caseless stuff, and *getting* cased ammo might be hard.

*sigh* One... more... time...

QUOTE (Me)
Unfortunately, few appear to have really considered how much of an advancement caseless ammunition actually is. It's in the game because it sounds cool and advanced, because most people just assume that it is. In reality, caseless ammunition is not much of an advancement at the small arms scale. To put it another way, the world's [most technologically advanced] military had the opportunity at it and passed, if that tells you anything.

Caseless ammunition weighs less (all good), it is marginally smaller (in length only; few benefits there), it is capable of higher rates of fire (not terribly useful), and it costs less to manufacture (but due to the fact that the firearm now has to perform the action of sealing the breech, which a case would normally do, it makes the firearms that use caseless ammunition more complex, thus cost more). On the down side, as there is no case to act as a heat sink and transport that heat away from the weapon. Caseless firearms get hotter faster, which is not good.

So the benefits boil down to lighter weight and that's pretty much all. PCA will only marginalize that benefit to a greater degree.

Unless we run into some major shortage of copper and zinc (or in the case of military production, low grade steels; pretty unlikely), cased ammunition will still be readily available. Brass is still the best material available for handloading metallic cartridges.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=8198

Search "caseless" and "Raygun" for even more attempts at explaining things that relate to caseless ammunition.

QUOTE (otomik)
(such as slaves making knockoffs that try to ride on your coat-tails and undermine all that money you spent on branding like Taurus's PT-92)

It's difficult to have sympathy for someone who shoots themself in the foot. smile.gif

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

In its standard FMJ form, .45 ACP won't do much against body armor today. But then, if penetrating armor is your purpose, a handgun really isn't the best tool for the job, is it? That said, read the thread otomik linked to, or just check out this patent.

QUOTE (Ed_209a)

It's not the heat that causes the case to expand and seal the breech, but the pressure. I would guess that current examples of Natec's PCA have the brass base mostly because it is a sufficiently tough material for the rifle's extractor to interface with, though it could also be that they haven't found a material that is more suitable than brass for containing pressure at the base of the cartridge. The patents don't go into detail about it except to show a preference for a "composite reinforced ceramic" base (to further reduce weight and cost), rather than brass.

Other than that, good enough for Dumpshock, I say. smile.gif

metal collar? have you seen Natec's Spectrum PCA? are you saying it's desirable to have a metal collar to exploit the blish effect?

I don't think that's what he was suggesting, but it's interesting you should mention it. The "Blish effect" (in relation to the base and the chamber wall) might work to some degree in keeping the plastic case body from separating from the base. (Of course, a chrome-plated chamber would compromise that a bit.) Apparently not something important enough that they mention it in the patents, though.

I think he was just talking about using the expansion of the brass base (cold flow, IIRC) in order to prevent gas leakage (just like a full brass case would, only it's not a full case). I haven't seen any info that supports a claim that they're using brass specifically for that reason.
nick012000
Of course, there's also the reasons my street sam uses caseless rounds in his sniper rifle:
1. No ballistic evidence left behind. Well, I suppose that there's the fragments from the EX explosive round he uses left in the corpses of the people he shoots, but they wouldn't be able to identify anything other than the use of EX explosive rounds from that, would they?
2. No sound of cases hitting the ground after the shot. Sure, there's still the loud ripping noise of the supersonic bullets, but that tends to be difficult to locate, according to Raygun's site.
Critias
Doesn't your street sam use caseless rounds in his sniper rifle because caseless rounds are the SR default?
Sicarius
I think they would be able to. The reason i say that is because the manufactuer of the Ex-Ex knows the thing is supposed to explode. and the powers that be will still want the ability to trace what's left of it.

Some kind of material specific to the round/manufacturer maybe?
Lindt
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Heh. I'll dual-wield. One is for when the other runs out. My right hand is holding a Predator. 10mm Caseless, limited production run, solid chrome and stamped from a die signed by Damian Knight himself. And I had it Dikoted.

The other is a Colt M1911A1 so old it was carried through the gates of Auschwitz when the GIs showed up. And yes, I have documentation to prove it. The internal workings have been expertly reproduced by master gunsmiths, and it's been made to accept a Smartgunlink unit. The exteroir is old and pitted and has that "I've been through every war in the last century and a half" look.

So thats twice I have been ready to tell you off, and have been presuaded by good imagry to hold my fingers. Love the picture right there btw.
Ed_209a

I hadn't until about 5 min ago. Neat! If Natec says that a poly collar can seal the breech adaquately, that's good enough for me.

I don't know what the blish effect is.

not a bad post but I think you could elaborate on some of your points, like why a higher rate of fire might be desirable, they put some thought into the G11 with it's burst as well as it's relatively slow autofire.

Yeah, I was really looking at it from basic properties of caseless ammo. Not going too much into applications.

You are right though. High ROF in a small arm isn't as useful as many might think. It can be good for weapons that are fired from a bipod or tripod, but not for assault rifles on down. I would guess between 700-1000 RPM is a good range. controlability becomes a major issue much above this. I think a high-ROF "shotgun" burst mode would be good for close engagements, where you need to kill that guy across the room NOW.

The G11 has a max ROF of 2000 rounds a min, but only uses this rate in it's 3-round burst mode. You bear 1 "crack" and 3 rounds go down range. They used a recoiling action that kept the recoil from reachin the user until the 3rd round was on the way. The regular autofire is 600 rounds a minute.

I have nothing against the G11, it is an perfect example of what happens when a weapons company starts completely over in their design process. Lots of revolutionary new features. At the end of the day though, I don't believe it was _enough_ better than the more conventional rifles the German Army was using.

The US Army is the same way. They change electronics every 5-10 years, as they advance, but they use a 40 year old assault rifle, because firearm technology is such a mature technology.

That maturity is much of the point of this thread. The purpose of a firearm is to make a chunk of metal go real fast, in a mostly straight line. I don't see that changing much in the next 50 years.

A Predator II It may be a bit more reliable, be easier to clean, and have some neat bells and whistles, but otherwise I don't think it will be that much different than a .45 or 10mm from today.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Raygun)
*sigh* One... more... time...

Hey, I never said which was better... frankly, I'd be surprised if caseless ammo comes into regular usage in the next five decades. I was just pointing out which way the canon was going.
TheHappyAnarchist
I can see the market for caseless ammo going a long way due to the simple fact that you don't want to leave forensics.

That seems to be the advantage of caseless to me.

Also, with the ability to use advanced chemicals and compounds, as well as nanotech produced materials I would not be surprised in the slightest to see caseless ammo being normal by 2060s.

The original makers of Shadowrun in the 80's didn't see wireless internet taking off either, and it did, far beyond peoples expectation.

The advances made in a matter of decades are extremely potent. It's half a century they have to develop things. Should be pretty easy to surpass our expectations.

As near as I have been able to tell, technology has advanced exponentially since the industrial age, not linearly.

People with more knowhow, what were the common use guns of 50 years ago like? Rate of fire and such, accuracy, bullet design, so forth?
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
I can see the market for caseless ammo going a long way due to the simple fact that you don't want to leave forensics.

You mean leave brass casings. A brass catcher is a MUCH cheaper option if that's your goal.

And your mentality concerning the fiearms "market" is the mentality that the SR devs had when created the stupidly high prices for cyberware in the earlier editions. It is NOT profitable to create a product that is only really affordable/useful for the CRIMINAL ELITE!

The military doesn't care about leaving ballistic evidence.

Law enforcement agencies don't care about leaving ballistic evidence.

Hunters/firearm enthusiasts don't care about leaving ballistic evidence.

The only people who DO care are those committing crimes who want to reduce the chance of getting caught.

And you don't/can't build a market on what will sell only to the criminal elite.

That seems to be the advantage of caseless to me.

Then you aren't reading this thread very well. See Raygun's comments about what advantages/disadvantages are inherint in caseless firearms.

Also, with the ability to use advanced chemicals and compounds, as well as nanotech produced materials I would not be surprised in the slightest to see caseless ammo being normal by 2060s.

Improving the ease at which caseless ammunition/weapons can be produced doesn't make them perform any better than conventional firearms. And the same advantages in manufacturing would be available for said conventional weapons.

The original makers of Shadowrun in the 80's didn't see wireless internet taking off either, and it did, far beyond peoples expectation.

That's a bogus analogy. Wireless networks allows things that weren't possible before. Caseless firearms do no such thing.

The advances made in a matter of decades are extremely potent.  It's half a century they have to develop things.  Should be pretty easy to surpass our expectations.

As near as I have been able to tell, technology has advanced exponentially since the industrial age, not linearly.

People with more knowhow, what were the common use guns of 50 years ago like?  Rate of fire and such, accuracy, bullet design, so forth?

The "common use" of firearms hasn't changed much at all since their inception: kill humans and/or animals.

Go back to the early 1920's (over 80 years ago) and look at the Thompson SMG, chambered in .45 ACP.

Now look at the modern HK UMP, also chambered .45 ACP.

Besides ergonomics, materials used, and a few other difference, these weapons are fundamentally the same. And both will kill with equal effectiveness.

And don't get me started on the Colt 1911 (yes, that means the year 1911) frame and all the current iterations of that design.

Sorry, but you just can't make a realistic justification for the absurdity of how the SR devs deal with firearms. That's why so many of us just house rule such things.
otomik
People with more knowhow, what were the common use guns of 50 years ago like? Rate of fire and such, accuracy, bullet design, so forth?

pretty much the same ones

M14, FN-FAL, AK-47, MG42, M1 Carbine series

I think you just disproved your own point.
otomik
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Dec 9 2005, 08:51 PM)
And your mentality concerning the fiearms "market" is the mentality that the SR devs had when created the stupidly high prices for cyberware in the earlier editions.  It is NOT profitable to create a product that is only really affordable/useful for the CRIMINAL ELITE!

"That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It dosen't show up on you airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month."

of course with good marketing all manner of absurdity is possible
hey fidycent, we stupidly created this product that is only really affordable/useful for the criminal elite, could you mention it in your movie/song/video then shoot someone with it and leave it at the crime scene? and here's a truck load of money for ya.
TheHappyAnarchist
QUOTE (otomik)
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist @ Dec 9 2005, 07:58 PM)
People with more knowhow, what were the common use guns of 50 years ago like?  Rate of fire and such, accuracy, bullet design, so forth?

And at the same time proved my lack of knowledge about guns and such. wink.gif

Just a note, I have been following the thread, what was confusing me was discussing relatively minor advantages when the big one to me was traceability.
Well, that, and with the way Shadowrun groups seem to be made up, there is a major problem with excess shell casings about a foot deep in every junkyard in the world. biggrin.gif

As for whether or not it is profitable to market to the criminal elite? It sure is, you can charge exhorbant prices. Especially when the criminal elite is supported by the big money.

Am I incorrect in thinking that there is not a wide variety of extremely high technology devices for use primarily/exclusively in crime? Or is that only in the movies. I admit my lack of knowledge on the matter.
Fix-it
QUOTE (otomik @ Dec 9 2005, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist @ Dec 9 2005, 07:58 PM)

And at the same time proved my lack of knowledge about guns and such. wink.gif

Just a note, I have been following the thread, what was confusing me was discussing relatively minor advantages when the big one to me was traceability.
Well, that, and with the way Shadowrun groups seem to be made up, there is a major problem with excess shell casings about a foot deep in every junkyard in the world. biggrin.gif

As for whether or not it is profitable to market to the criminal elite? It sure is, you can charge exhorbant prices. Especially when the criminal elite is supported by the big money.

Am I incorrect in thinking that there is not a wide variety of extremely high technology devices for use primarily/exclusively in crime? Or is that only in the movies. I admit my lack of knowledge on the matter.

oh please. that's why they make caseing collectors. mesh bags that fit over the ejector port and catch all the brass as it leaves the weapon.

obviously you'd only use it on special ops with a silencer, but it gets the job done.
otomik
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Dec 9 2005, 11:50 PM)
oh please. that's why they make caseing collectors. mesh bags that fit over the ejector port and catch all the brass as it leaves the weapon.

obviously you'd only use it on special ops with a silencer, but it gets the job done.

oh please, real runners dig the bullet out before it and the body turn cold or use ice bullets.
Critias
This thread is like some sort of magic knowledge sifter, easily and efficiently seperating those who know what they're talking about and get it from those and who don't, with just a glance. Neat.
Crusher Bob
Compared to the original StG-44, assault rifles today are likely to be lighter (plastic parts over metal or wood), have better ergonomics (partly due to the ease of shaping plastic), and have better iron sights.

In addition, the assault rifles of today have a whole host of non-iron sighting devices that smply weren't available then.

An AK-47 that rolled of the assembly lines in 1948 will still compare favorably to any assualt rifle currently in use. (It will be heavy (no plastic parts), have so-so ergonomics (mostly a manufacturing cost issue, fine fidly bits cost more), and be somewhat inaccurate (once again, a manufacturing costs issue. The higher cost copies of the AK-47 are accurate enough)

A 1911, originally used to gun down my crazy, knife wielding ancestors more than 90 years ago, when compared to a modern pistol (Glock 21?, Sig 220) in .45 caliber will be heavy, not as ergonomic, not as drop-safe, and not as accurate, but will still fire the same size bullets at the same speeds the Glock will.
otomik
tell me more about your knifewielding ancestors. my great grandfather served in the phillipines as a quartermaster and someday I'll inherit his M1911.
Raygun
QUOTE (Ed_209a)

I hadn't until about 5 min ago. Neat! If Natec says that a poly collar can seal the breech adaquately, that's good enough for me.

First, let's get our terminology straight. What you're talking about is actually the entire base of the cartridge which the plastic upper three-quarters of the case snaps into, not just a collar (suggesting a ring through which something passes). Natec's patents state that the plastic case body is the part designed to expand and perform the seal around the chamber wall (which makes sense because that's how it works with full brass cases as well). The base, being of thicker, stronger, less malleable material, prevents the pressure from escaping through the rear end of the cartridge case, as opposed to around its circumference.

I don't know what the blish effect is.

It's a principle of metallic adhesion in which metals (especially dissimilar metals) tend to stick to each other under high pressure, thus resist motion, to a greater degree than if friction alone were involved. More specifically, it had to do with said metal surfaces being set at an angle from the direction of force. The greater the pressure, the greater the adhesion effect.

Thompson licensed John Blish's patent for use in his submachine gun. However, during WWII it was found that the most substantial effect of the Blish lock was to slow production, so it was left out entirely on the military M1 and M1A1 versions of the Thompson.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Raygun @ Dec 10 2005, 02:45 AM)
First, let's get our terminology straight. What you're talking about is actually the entire base of the cartridge which the plastic upper three-quarters of the case snaps into, not just a collar

The part that the bullet is pressed into is exactly what I meant by collar.

I may be misremembering, but I had a picture in my head labeled "PCA" that has a metallic base, poly body, and a metal neck.

Natec's design will obviously be simpler to produce, thus better, all else equal.
Raygun
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
The part that the bullet is pressed into is exactly what I meant by collar.

I may be misremembering, but I had a picture in my head labeled "PCA" that has a metallic base, poly body, and a metal neck.

Doesn't mean it's not out there, but I don't remember ever seeing an example of PCA with a metal "collar" like you describe. It really wouldn't make much sense.

In the case of Natec's PCA, there's a metal base forming the case head, rim, primer pocket and enough of the case wall for the plastic body to interface with and snap into. The plastic body is actually die molded around the bullet, making up the greater portion of the case wall, as well as the shoulder and neck area that interface with the bullet. The body is then filled with powder from the rear end, then a primed brass base is snapped onto the plastic body. That results in about a 25% weight reduction in comparison to a similar full brass-cased load.
SL James
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
The other is a Colt M1911A1 so old it was carried through the gates of Auschwitz when the GIs showed up. And yes, I have documentation to prove it. The internal workings have been expertly reproduced by master gunsmiths, and it's been made to accept a Smartgunlink unit. The exteroir is old and pitted and has that "I've been through every war in the last century and a half" look

Then you got snookered.

Fluff is great, except when it's incorrect. Then it's just annoying.

ShadowDragon8685
Okay, fair enough. Then again, by the year 2064, do you expect anyone other than histry majors to give a good goddamn about some war that happened ~120 years ago? Anyway, I wasen't fact-checking; I could just as easily have said hit the beaches at Normandy. The point of Fluff isen't nessessarily to be correct as it is to be good, as long as it's consistant.
SL James
If you say so.

And yes, people are. Just ask my buddy, the Peloponnesian War freak.
tisoz
I guess it is your assertion that no american soldier ever passed through the gates of Auschwitz? I find that hard to believe. I would assume they sent guys there to verify the atrocities.
otomik
I guess it is your assertion that no american soldier ever passed through the gates of Auschwitz? I find that hard to believe. I would assume they sent guys there to verify the atrocities.
so the M1911 was carried by an american military lawyer gathering evidence for the allied forces nuremburg trial? takes some of the piss out of the imagery.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot15.htm
Box of Truth has some entries regarding a flak jacket (perhaps considered level I body armor) and .45ACP penetration etc.

in other news it doesn't look like Beretta will be competing in the JCP trials
http://www.berettaforum.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi...0878;p=1#000021
rich verdi has some insider connection with Beretta USA

it seems in the companies opinion the 92 is unsuited to .45ACP and would be unappealing if made and other people have pointed out the PX4 and Cougar's inherent problems with silencers and threads (which is a JCP requirement).

definately looks like SIG has the edge
tisoz
QUOTE (otomik)
so the M1911 was carried by an american military lawyer gathering evidence for the allied forces nuremburg trial? takes some of the piss out of the imagery.

What imagery? The nazis abandoned the camps when the enemy drew near. There was no fighting their way in. The imagery is all in the buyers mind and how advertising lies.
Ed_209a
Replace "Auschwitz" with some other notorious camp that the US Army _did_ liberate, and voila, your fluff works again.
ShadowDragon8685
Dumpshock: Everything from ballistics theory to history, in one neat package. Oh yeah, they do some of that Shadowrun stuff, too. smile.gif

Raygun, my point was that given how prevalant low-profile (IE: Looks like clothes) body armor is in Shadowrun, would .45 ACP be a load worth carrying? I'm thinking it probably woulden't be.
Critias
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Raygun, my point was that given how prevalant low-profile (IE: Looks like clothes) body armor is in Shadowrun, would .45 ACP be a load worth carrying? I'm thinking it probably woulden't be.

What do you think people use instead? Which direction do you think the ammo sizes moved in, for most firearms -- what's a classic "9M damage code" heavy pistol in your mind? Smaller or larger than a .45? 9mm, or .50?
ShadowDragon8685
The classic 9m damage code in my mind, before seeing the image of the predator, was that it was at least a .44 magnum. However, since it seems to be 10mm (and caseless,) which is roughly .39 caliber (assuming I've done my conversions right.)

However, what I'm thinking of is that the .45 ACP is a subsonic round, and as the box of truth has proven, performs very poorly against any sort of armor at all. I'm thinking it would have fallen out of favor, instead favor going to magnum rounds; IE, the 10mm Caseless rounds Ares makes for use in their Predators. Seems like it would be a magnum round by today's standard.

Wonder what's the real difference between 10mm Caseless, .357 Magnum, and .44 Magnum as we know them today? Obviously, the caseing, but performance wise? Would the difference be enough to give it any sort of game-wise differences? I'm thinking maybe that .50 AE, or something similar in size and power, would be the 10M Super Warhawk round.
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik)
in other news it doesn't look like Beretta will be competing in the JCP trials

It would be utterly retarded for them not to try any come up with something, bordering on mismanagement (assuming the whole JCP thing is taken seriously). But I can at least understand why they wouldn't bother with production of a locking block .45 ACP. It would make the thing relatively wide. There's no way around that except to go with a different locking system. But for them to just say "nah" whenever they hear ".45 ACP" is just... fucking rediculous. As for silencers mounted to rotating barrels, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Then I guess you'd better start packing a Five-seveN or UCP because conventional loads for every common handgun cartridge today are going to have that same problem. .45 ACP, .44 Magnum, it doesn't matter. They can all be defeated by body armor today and that will certainly be the case 60 years from now, whether the armor matches your shoes or not. I could go on arguing about how the concept of armored clothing is utterly rediculous, but at the moment I don't have the heart to repeat myself. Again. Search it.

Anyway, if you want .45 ACP to be capable of penetrating body armor, you just have to think unconventionally. Hence the patent I referred you to, which it appears you haven't bothered to look at.

The classic 9m damage code in my mind, before seeing the image of the predator, was that it was at least a .44 magnum. However, since it seems to be 10mm (and caseless,) which is roughly .39 caliber (assuming I've done my conversions right.)

Close. Current 10mm bullets are actually .400" (10.16mm). 10mm Auto and .40 S&W use the same bullets.

However, what I'm thinking of is that the .45 ACP is a subsonic round, and as the box of truth has proven, performs very poorly against any sort of armor at all.

The original .45 ACP FMJ "Ball" load is subsonic. .45 ACP +P is not. The load mentioned in the patent I keep referring you to goes well into supersonic territory. .45 ACP is not restricted to subsonic velocities under all conditions.

I'm thinking it would have fallen out of favor, instead favor going to magnum rounds; IE, the 10mm Caseless rounds Ares makes for use in their Predators. Seems like it would be a magnum round by today's standard.

It probably would be, in the same way that one could consider the 10mm Auto to be a "magnum" cartridge today (it easily outperforms the .357 Magnum). However, bullet diameter and whether a cartridge is called "magnum" or not have little to do with armor penetration. What matters more is bullet construction and velocity, and it is certainly possible to make supersonic AP loads for the .45 ACP. Read. The. Patent.

Wonder what's the real difference between 10mm Caseless, .357 Magnum, and .44 Magnum as we know them today?

In my own estimation, 10mm Caseless would simply be a caseless version of 10mm Auto. Top loads around 200 grains @ 1250 fps. That's probably about the max most human beings are going to want to handle from a practical combat handgun (if that's what you want to consider the Ares Predator to be). That's 9M to me. 10M is .44 Magnum/Auto Mag territory (top load around 330 grains @ 1400 fps).

As for concentration camps, how about Dachau instead?
otomik
Abraham Flatau's Killer Donut bullet

I think this would be a good replacement for APDS in pistol calibers, doesn't fit the same old description but it is armor piercing and uses a discarding sabot. APRO and AFKD both have been known to cause feeding problems because of their shape. Massad Ayoob in this book I'm reading, Gun Digest Book of Sig Sauer Pistols, cautions against using really high velocity exotic bullets for defense because they don't cycle at the same velocities and so have unsatisfactory accuracy and feeding.

what was the concentration camp in Band of Brothers?

Then I guess you'd better start packing a Five-seveN or UCP because conventional loads for every common handgun cartridge today are going to have that same problem. .45 ACP, .44 Magnum, it doesn't matter. They can all be defeated by body armor today and that will certainly be the case 60 years from now

http://www.kel-tec.com/plr16pr.htm
Kel-Tec PLR-16, it's the wave of the future, wave of the future, wave of the future, wave of the future, wave of the future...

SL James
Landsberg
Austere Emancipator
Has anyone done gelatin (or perhaps anesthetized pig) testing with the round? I keep wondering if the tissue not displaced but simply moved through the hollow center, and the permanent wound that's probably smaller in diameter than the projectile itself, will lead to not a lot of bleeding?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (otomik)
Then I guess you'd better start packing a Five-seveN or UCP because conventional loads for every common handgun cartridge today are going to have that same problem. .45 ACP, .44 Magnum, it doesn't matter. They can all be defeated by body armor today and that will certainly be the case 60 years from now

http://www.kel-tec.com/plr16pr.htm
Kel-Tec PLR-16, it's the wave of the future, wave of the future, wave of the future, wave of the future, wave of the future...

It has been done before. Bushmaster Carbon 15, to be exact.

http://www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster-Pistol.htm

Notice the flash in the final picture. I doubt the PLR-16 is much better.
The 5.56 mm pistol, ruining your night vision and giving away your position since 2005.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012