Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELLHOUND PUPPIES!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
emo samurai
I guess... but the fur kinda gets to me. And did they deliberately name it SPANC?
Kremlin KOA
yes
yes they did
ronin3338
Man... I love Dumpshock. wobble.gif
Where else can you get Drop Bears, Hellhound puppies, and rules tips, intermixed with flames, sarcasm, and overt self-indugence?

Seriously, way back in the thread emo asked if they were awakened dogs and what breed. I honestly thought they were a new critter from after the Awakening. Did I miss something canon?

I'm really interested in this idea now, that there may be awakened verison of household pets...

emo samurai
And by overt self-indulgence, you mean me, right?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (emo samurai)
That cat is fucking awesome. I want it. In fact, I would be willing to kill for it. Even George Bush, or my mom.

That would actually be the Talis cat, which are one of my favorite paracritters. basically, it's one main power is desire reflection, which basically makes the target see and believe the one thing that it wants the most. But IIRC, it works a bit differently on the cat. When it's threatened, it uses the power on it's self, and the little taby cat becomes a frickin' jaguar or some such. I love those zany cats.

I hate blackberry cats.

Emo, thanks for answering the question. FYI, my favorite character raises a bunch of hell hounds after he found a pregnant one that was starving to death on a run and took her home. He raised the litter, eventaully got another male from MTC (yeah high contact rating magical contacts) and started breeding them.

A few tips:
Put them some place with lots of cement. He lives in the barrens and used his architecture and engineering knowledge skills along with stone shape to make a little basement kennel for them.
Also made a small area for a little warren of devil/feeder rats for them to chow on.
Raised his lifestyle level to high to reflect the mass amounts of beef he has to bring in every week to feed them.
Use fire retardent spray on everything they will be near.
Load them into your fire-treated bulldog stepvan and take them ghoul/ganger hunting in Redmond occassionally to stretch their legs.

Magus: don't question Grinder. The High Elder is privy to more secrets than you know
hyzmarca
He means all us motherfuckers who sit around argueing about a role playing game as if it were abortion.

I'm all for abortion, by the way, both pre- and post- natal.
James McMurray
I can think of quite a few people who should've been aborted some time during their 48th trimester.
Dranem
QUOTE (emo samurai)
I'm 20.

I think that this game should be fun, and if you are being a dick about my ideas because "that's not what people do, it's not street level, blablabla I cut myself," then you're just being a dick. There's analyzing something to its logical end while keeping both pro and con stances in mind, and there's being a troll. Which Dranem is obviously doing, while trying desperately to maintain a now-thin veneer of pro-canon piety. Like a Mother Against Videogame Addiction and Violence, he is using a bullshit cause to advance his own ability to flame and generally be a bitch.

Wow, I almost expected Emo to snap as I had seen him do in other threads.

Speaking of a lack of intellect, I think that reeling away from the possibility of having a hellhound puppy simply because it's unorthodox or not macho or whatever stupid "gritty" bullshit you could come up with shows a lack of intellect, as oppposed to my suggesting something that, through about 5 seconds of thinking, is obviously very much  plausible.

I never said Hellhounds are not cannon or that they they are unorthodox, and few would ever accuse me of being macho.

I did suggest however that Hellhounds were most likely restricted, as are most para-critters (at least that was my understanding) and that they would require a license to own one. But I guess like most things, you could probably pick one up through an appropriate black-market seller.

And yes Emo I shoot at your ideas because many of them (note I actually didn't say all) are way out to lunch. Here and there you do come out with some good ideas, but from there things just seem to mushroom into some complex anime-toned exageration that bleeds beyond realisme.
Remember, this is only 70 years in the future, not centuries or millenia. I just (though probably harshly) suggest you try to keep yourself grounded a little more.

I grew up in the 80s that influenced the genre for SR, so I guess that's why I have so much trouble catching your far out concepts... consider it a generation gap I guess.

I've even seen a few people defend you, stating it's cause you have few SR resources, that you can't see how some of these ideas would be a little too far fetched. Yet the resources you can find online easily outweigh that arguement. So instead of an 'I didn't know so bleh!' attitude, you could go 'Really? Can you tell me where you found that?' Might even earn you some credibility.

Dumpshock is a great forum with many experienced players and GMs, and more wealth of knowledge and ideas than you can shake a stick at. Following the longer threads you create, I do see you slowly learning to tone yourself down, even if I think your ideas are still far fetched. But then that's just my view, and you seem to GM most of your fantastical ideas, so I guess that works for you. Just never expect me to approve of your player concepts, as I haven't found one that's not riddled with rule-breaking holes yet.

I guess my biggest crime of all is that I'm rather firmly set in my oppinions, and have no qualms about voicing them. Some see that as being as asshole, in some cases I suppose they are right. I do try to take in account that English may not be everyones first language, it's not mine either for that matter. (which probably leads to some other misunderstandings)

A few have pointed out some concepts where Hellhounds would be more common than I had visioned, so you can roll with those, I know it's given me some ideas for my group.
fistandantilus4.0
*shakes stick*

at least emo is aware that some of his ideas are insane though. That's just his thing, and that's ok. I don't think that you need to go off all defensive every time someone slights you emo. Just try and understand wher esome of us are coming from, just like we try to understand where you're coming from.
Grinder
QUOTE (Magus)
Brother Grinder, I am ashamed of you. Turning agaist the holy drop bear and advocating Dikoted Fire Breathing Viking (sex) Kittens. You know the Vikings are the sworn ememies of the Holy Drop Bear!!

It's Elder. I never advocated the kittens, all I wanted was to push emo samurai in the right direction (that's far away from Drop Bear Land). Please calm down and be assured that I'm the first one to start a crusade against emo samurai's legions of Dikoted Fire Breathing Viking (sex) Kittens!
Grinder
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Magus: don't question Grinder. The High Elder is privy to more secrets than you know

Thank you for your trust smile.gif

PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 6 2006, 05:42 AM)

Thank you for your trust smile.gif

For now... the inquisition is always watching...
Grinder
Who knows that better than me?
fistandantilus4.0
me and tisoz biggrin.gif
Grinder
rotfl.gif

Oh, and handful of others. biggrin.gif
Magus
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Magus @ Apr 5 2006, 08:49 PM)
Brother Grinder, I am ashamed of you.  Turning agaist the holy drop bear and advocating Dikoted Fire Breathing Viking (sex) Kittens. You know the Vikings are the sworn ememies of the Holy Drop Bear!!

It's Elder. I never advocated the kittens, all I wanted was to push emo samurai in the right direction (that's far away from Drop Bear Land). Please calm down and be assured that I'm the first one to start a crusade against emo samurai's legions of Dikoted Fire Breathing Viking (sex) Kittens!

My apologies, I was only concerned for the holy crusade as we all know that Vikings are the sworn nemisis(??) of our Holy Crusade.

nezumi
As an aside, in my game all cats can astrally percieve - and always could, even pre-awakening (although it might not be precisely as humans do). That's why they always flip out, because they're seeing hostile air spirits and the like bouncing around the house.
Edward
Waltermandias

Although hitchhikers guide was a radio show and I think a play before it was a novel Douglas Adams did not subscribe to internal consistency.

For example when he was righting the movie and was asked which books it would cover he said in an interview “it will be specifically contradicting the first book”.

I liked that movie (and books, still looking for the radio show)

Edward
NightHaunter
Thanks to finally replying to my question about age emo.
I've been running this game for about 13 years now.
I've tried a lot of things in that time.
The thing i've use most is leniency. Killing players every session for being stupid is also stupid.
A good wounding and loss of money works just as well.
The hellhounds idea is good.
Check out the Blackberry Cat despite what some might think. (It's indistinguishable from the real thing)
Its good to have 1 extraction target have one as a pet when people come to his house to extract him/her.
I meant no offence with anything i've said, i'm just being honest.
neko128
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (Waltermandias @ Apr 5 2006, 03:49 PM)
Have you all forgotten that kick ass critter from the Paranormal Animals of North America book?  I forgot what it was called, but it was basically a house-cat that, when it attacked, cast an illusion on itself (comically an ideal image spell) that made it look like a giant cat of doom.  It also had spells to blast it's physical stats up to match it's new form.  Plus, it would sometimes grow attached to people and protect them.  We had one following us around in a group once.  We always kept lots of tuna around.

Blackberry Cat? ... or is that the one with Mind Control.

Blackberry Cats have Compulsion, Desire Reflection, and Hypnotic Song, among other powers. And, of course, a weakness to Catnip. In the book. I'm serious.

The one he was referring to is a Talis Cat.

If you didn't already know, the SR3 Critters PDF (from the GM screen, I think?) is available as a free download over at BattleCorps. Or, at least, it is for me, though I suppose it's possible it's a members-only thing. Try this link:

Free Downloads Page
neko128
QUOTE (nezumi)
As an aside, in my game all cats can astrally percieve - and always could, even pre-awakening (although it might not be precisely as humans do). That's why they always flip out, because they're seeing hostile air spirits and the like bouncing around the house.

That's a really nifty idea. I might adopt that.

Plus, it would explain why one of my cats always flips out and attacks things that noone else can see; he's trying to protect us from the evil monsters and gremlins and such.
NightHaunter
QUOTE (nezumi)

Now I get it!

Yoink!
Shadowmeet
Plus, it would explain why one of my cats always flips out and attacks things that noone else can see; he's trying to protect us from the evil monsters and gremlins and such.

Some of that flipping out is because they can hear electrical current, including all it's stops, pulses, and fluctuations. This is in addition to a lot of other strange noises in the house.

Some of it is because Cats are little balls of death and fur. Psychos with shredding claws and fangs. And because they are more stuck up than a cheerleader in a group of gamers. Heh

God, I love cats.

As for Hellhounds, we've used them in game, mainly as corporate security dogs, and we've had them trained in game.

Worked out very well.

Plus, I think if a player uses one, it can be a good target; I mean motivator.

"Geek the mage, then the hellhound"

"What? They're gonna geek fluffykins? I call him back."

This is especially effective with a pet if it was hard to get him, and the player has invested a lot, both monetarily and emotionally, into the animal.
nezumi
That's why I have two cats at home. Cats help protect us from spirits, gremlins, death and bad luck. Dogs only protect you from cyborgs sent from the future.

Dumb dogs.

Magus
Don't Forget Mummies
Imohotep........Imohotep......Imohotep
Perssek
You know, one of the reasons that keep me comng back of DS is people like Emo. Now he IS fun. He asks serious questions about the absurd, and makes outrageous assumptions that makes me glare with antecipation. He makes me feel I´m not munchkin enough to be fun, and that all those weird ideas my players run away from are only pale shadows of what he builds for his own personal sake.

Sometimes I think he´s not real - like Emo is a internet version of Socrates, conjured up by some people who want to express their deep thoughts but are afraid to get tagged as a "wacko" or a "nutjob". It becames so big it is a Stad Alone Complex: collective behaviours that create a individual conspiracy of outrageous ideas made real on a internet forum.

I like it.
emo samurai
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. Or should I?

But seriously... is there really anyone like me?
Kremlin KOA
once had a char with 4 hellhounds

he kept them in his home

had a high lifestyle and paid the extra 40% for 4 guests

they gt in one fight ever
when some other runners were hired to geek thheteam

they even had doggie form fit armor

hyzmarca
QUOTE (NightHaunter)
The thing i've use most is leniency. Killing players every session for being stupid is also stupid.

That really depends on the flavor of the game. Some players like absurd deadliness. Personally, I'd like to experiment with a campaign theme based on the Sacred Band of Thebes at the Battle of Chaeronea in which every session ends with a TPK.
ronin3338
QUOTE (emo samurai)
And by overt self-indulgence, you mean me, right?

LOL wink.gif

While I admit, you do come to mind, I wasn't referring to only you. Let's face it, taking time to scour these boards, make posts and reply, all in the name of an RPG, is self-indulgent at it's very core.

Personally, I enjoy most of the posts here, especially yours. SR is a game, first and foremost, and I think some folks take it too seriously. It's nice to have some irreverance thrown in now and then, and honestly, RL is like that anyway...

That being said, did anyone have an answer about the hellhounds being awakened dogs or a new critter? If they're awakened, does anybody know what breed? I'm considering the possibilities of awakened whippets/greyhounds as a version of a blink dog, and maybe huskies/malamutes as a frost wolf...
Grinder
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
That really depends on the flavor of the game. Some players like absurd deadliness. Personally, I'd like to experiment with a campaign theme based on the Sacred Band of Thebes at the Battle of Chaeronea in which every session ends with a TPK.

TPK: Total Player Kill?

We play Paranoia when we want many dead characters. Or All Flesh Must Be Eaten.
emo samurai
I think that pretty much every species of animal has Awakened members.
Moon-Hawk
So then what do Chihuahuas awaken into?
emo samurai
They gain the ability to crap tacos. Of course.
Moon-Hawk
Is that a specialized form of the Wealth spirit power?
emo samurai
No, it's "Innate Spell: Crap Tacos."
Moon-Hawk
So then, are they bland like when created by Create Food? Or does the specific version add zest and spice?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Grinder @ Apr 6 2006, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 6 2006, 06:08 PM)

Paranoia and All Flesh Must Be Eaten really don't lend themselves to the "It's the Alamo and we're the Texans" style of epic heroism.
emo samurai
Considering the orifice, it being bland is the least of your worries, or possibilities.
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 6 2006, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Apr 6 2006, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 6 2006, 06:08 PM)

Paranoia and All Flesh Must Be Eaten really don't lend themselves to the "It's the Alamo and we're the Texans" style of epic heroism.

Sure, All Flesh does. It's great for that style. Although, instead of the Alamo, It's usually Alamo Shopping Mall.
Grinder
Maybe the attacking mexican army consisted of zombies... Imo AFMBE is really cool when it comes to heroic self-sacrifice scenes, but it lacks after a time. It's nice for one-shots, but not for longer campaigns.
Waltermandias
My opinion on AFMBE can be summed up with the following Modus Ponens argument:

If a game is all about zombies it rocks. AFMBE is all about zombies. Therefore AFMBE rocks.
James McMurray
Can't argue with that logic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012