Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lab Rat's Diary: Deuxième Partie
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
FanGirl
Sunday, April 23, 2006
This is the continuation of this thread, my diary of Emo’s campaign. To recap: I and three other newbie players have been roped into participating in a campaign run by your very own Emo Samurai, and I’m keeping a diary of my experiences to give you an insight into Emo’s mind. Once again, I am not reading his Dedicated threads, so don’t give me any hints about their contents. The three other players will be called by their first initials (K, G, and C), Emo will be called Emo, and I will use the personal pronoun to refer to myself. All characters will be referred to by their “proper” names.

Yesterday was, of course, the first session. C, whom I believe is going to be our PhysAd, couldn’t make it, and G, K, and I were all late for various and sundry reasons. G and K spent the first couple of hours writing up their character sheets—despite their lack of familiarity with the game, they both insisted on building characters from scratch instead of tweaking with the sample characters listed in the book—while Emo and I answered their questions to the best of our abilities and gave them some input. G created Vranton, a mage who also happens to be an expert in “bear studies.” K created Johann, a heavily-cybered sniper from Europe (tellingly, K didn’t say where in Europe he was from). I, of course, had already created FanGirl, a young ingénue of a TM, so I pretty much just sat around and waited for them to get finished—BTW, we’re an all-human team so far biggrin.gif . During the wait, Emo kindly provided sustenance for us by ordering some pizzas, and after munching on a few slices we were ready to begin.

Emo had drawn a simple floorplan on a small blackboard in the room, and explained to us that it was of a kind of special mall in the Redmond Barrens designed just for shadowrunners. The mall had been built by various megacorporations in order to cater to runners; this was a sort of anti-theft measure, for the mall offered a wide selection of all sorts of gear sold at the same cut-rate prices provided by fixers and fencers.

It was the grand opening of the mall, Emo told us, and we had each come individually without knowing each other. In the center of the mall was a lowered platform, in front of which a bunch of corp executives were standing. with one exec giving a very insincere speech. At the end of the speech, the exec pulled the switch to elevate the platform. Upon the platform was a very surprising thing: instead of the flashy display we anticipated (Emo said, “You’re expecting something like fireworks, or a giant cake with a fifty-foot stripper in it”) a group of flesh-form insect spirits rose up and proceeded to wreak havoc.

Vranton and I both dove for the exits with the rest of the crowd, only to discover that that there were more bugs waiting for us just outside. We opted instead to run for Saeder-Krupp’s store, where the mana barrier cast on it was able to protect us from the onslaught. Meanwhile, Johann had kept his wits about him and gone to the Ares store to loot the merchandise, which was very easy for him with all the extra initiative passes he had. Shoppers had been banned from bringing weaponry, and evidently the ban was well enforced, for most of the crowd was quickly slaughtered by the bugs and their ringleaders. The ringleaders were, of course, four insect shamans who stood on the platform and supplemented the bugs’ attacks by slinging spells at the crowd.

Vranton and the clerk in S-K cast their own spells at the attackers, I was able to hack into Ares’ anti-theft guns and put them to good use, and Johann even paused in his looting to snipe one of the shamans (a troll). Another of the shamans (a human) was able to flip the platform switch and allow the troll and gnome shamans to escape to the lower levels with many of their minions. The human was quickly blown away by Yours Truly, and because the fourth (an elf) was already dispatched, we were safe—for the moment.

Vranton and I joined Johann in his looting for a while, while Mr. S-K healed the few survivors. Then KE showed up, scaring all the outdoor bugs inside and down into the opening left by the platform. The cops used their super-loud speakers to offer us three a deal: clear out the mall, and we would each get nuyen.gif 20,000, plus all the swag we could carry. Vranton was able to get an extra nuyen.gif 40,000 store credit at S-K (it would have been difficult for him to loot that place, what with the clerk to deal with), but other than that we found the terms acceptable. (That was our first mistake that I can spot, because I later overheard Emo mentioning that KE pays nuyen.gif 50,000 in death compensation per fallen officer.)

Because G had to leave early, Vranton quickly bought some foci and went to the mana lodge out back to conjure up a spirit. While he was thus occupied I hacked into Mitsuhama’s system, gaining access to all their drones, and sent out four Steel Lynxes as guards—two for Vranton and two for Johann. Johann went and destroyed the Cinnabon to prevent the bugs from getting at all that nourishing sugar, but he was then attacked by two true-form spirits. Fortunately, Johann and the Lynxes (great name for a band, huh?) took them out easily, and at point the session ended—it was getting late, you see. We'll most likely pick up where we left off in the next session.

Will our heroes defeat the insectoid menace?
Will Johann reveal his mysterious past?
Will Vranton reveal why the frag he likes bears so much?
Will C actually show up next session?
Tune in next time for the answers to these and other pointless questions! Same Rat Time, Same Rat Channel!

Questions? Comments?

EDIT (April 24, 2006): I'm adding in FanGirl's character sheet as it is at the beginning of the campaign.
[ Spoiler ]
Any and all changes to this sheet as of the end of each gaming session will be reported in future updates. Also, details on FanGirl's backstory will be provided upon request. biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Life will only get more difficult for you; you'll see, you'll see.

The reason you won this time was because you had three drone heavy machine guns at the front of the Ares supermart shooting at the insect spirits and a force 9 ward blocking Vranton and the hermetic mage clerk for the S-K magic store, with the mage, a grade 3 initiate, laying down counterspelling. I didn't think you'd do this well; good job.

You survived the true forms because they were only force 6 and Johann's got Agility 9, 4 initiative passes, and a machine pistol.

I was rather proud of my description of the insect spirits dying; "Instead of collapsing to the ground, their remains just sort of float there, as if they were clouds of mist that just happened to look like insect spirits, and like clouds, they quickly deform and disappear." Same with the one spirit that stayed behind, chewing on the force 9 ward that it had no hope in hell of getting past. "If it wasn't a freak of nature that wanted to drag you off to its masters to be killed in some horrible, arcane ritual, the sight of it gnawing on the ward with its unsettling combination of rotten human teeth and malformed mandibles would almost be cute, like a dog pressing its nose up against a window and leaving a mark behind."

I also should have hit FanGirl harder; she rolled Logic+Skill+Form rather than just Skill+Form. She was hacking a rating 6 server, which should NOT be that easy to log on to. Oh, well. What happens, happens.

Here's hoping she checks out other stuff in the mall. There's lots of stuff besides consumer electronics for her to look into.

I should have put in more details; like, when Johann ran into the Ares store to loot it, there should have been an AR overlay with a faux-friendly computer voice asking him how it may help him while insect spirits dragged people off to be killed.
FanGirl
QUOTE (emo samurai)
I was rather proud of my description of the insect spirits dying; "Instead of collapsing to the ground, their remains just sort of float there, as if they were clouds of mist that just happened to look like insect spirits, and like clouds, they quickly deform and disappear." Same with the one spirit that stayed behind, chewing on the force 9 ward that it had no hope in hell of getting past. "If it wasn't a  freak of nature that wanted to drag you off to its masters to be killed in some horrible, arcane ritual, the sight of it gnawing on the ward with its unsettling combination of rotten human teeth and malformed mandibles would almost be cute, like a dog pressing its nose up against a window and leaving a mark behind."

That was awfully cute.^_^ Too bad we had to kill it and all.

QUOTE (emo samurai)
I also should have hit FanGirl harder; she rolled Logic+Skill+Form rather than just Skill+Form. She was hacking a rating 6 server, which should NOT be that easy to log on to. Oh, well. What happens, happens.

Ooops, I did not realize you don't add Logic. embarrassed.gif Perhaps we should chalk it up to the intervention of the Deep Resonance?

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Here's hoping she checks out other stuff in the mall. There's lots of stuff besides consumer electronics for her to look into.

I think I'll hit the building's security system, and possibly the giant robo-arms you mentioned in the storage facilities. What's their range of motion and stuff?

BTW, where is everyone? This is what you've all been anticipating, people! mad.gif
James McMurray
If you've got someone with high negotiations, always always always negotiate. smile.gif

Other than that it sounds like fun was had by all, the hallmark of a good game. smile.gif
emo samurai
And the Novatech server; hack it!!!

I gave Vranton that single point in Bear Studies for free; he gave his "raised by bears" thing as a way to avoid characterization.
MaxHunter
Hello, I am kindda new to this eagerly anticipated thread. Welcome to the shadows Fangirl!

Now, a "shopping mall for runners", "the S-K clerk a initiate mage", "bug spirits"... Boy, I knew this one would be fun! I am only waiting for the Drop Bears to appear...

Cheers,

Max (sanity still intact)

UndeadPoet
QUOTE (FanGirl)
BTW, where is everyone? This is what you've all been anticipating, people! mad.gif

If I recall correctly, there were just three or four people trashtalking in your thread. twirl.gif

Anyway, that's some serious action. What about your powerlevel, by the way? That question bothers me since I read:
Vranton quickly bought some foci[...]

and:
You survived the true forms because they were only force 6[...]

and:
Johann's got Agility 9, 4 initiative passes[...]
Ryu
I´d rather say sanity unimpaired nyahnyah.gif

Sounds like a fun action game. Whats the status of your team so far? Everyone unharmed? You could basically test the defenses of any server present - Novatech is on the top list of course. Call it a hunch...

Even if you decide on not looting something, the search will be less dangerous with disabled defenses. And faster with an inventory list at hand.
hyzmarca
Yes, those quotes are slightly concerning when taken out of context.

All things being equal, I only facefaulted at shopping mall in the Redmond Barrens.
NightHaunter
That was not entirely what I was expecting but the power level does seem far too high!!
If i'd have put that against my group they would have died. (Dice Permitting of course)
At least it is that high on both sides.
One question what is there to advance your character to?
However I do like the idea of a "shadow mall", tho I would have it run by a group of fixers.

One more thing what sort of bugs?
James McMurray
I would definitely have the corps working through fixers instead of out in the open. It's cheaper (you don't have to hire tons of security), easier (the fixer does most of your work for you), and more deniable (no buildings with your logo on them).
emo samurai
They're all 450 BP with all caps off. They can advance as many things to level 6 as they want, but skills cap outside of character creation at 8 with 11 for Aptitude. So even if they hyperspecialize, they'll still have lots of places to spend karma.

Johann's the only mundane in the party; his Will and Charisma are very low. He'll want to increase those. Vranton's hyper-specialized and he'll want to branch out, too. FanGirl's a technomancer, so submerging will be a huge priority. All the other people in the party will have the opportunity to initiate and be awesome.
Waltermandias
Could we see the other character's stats sometime? (with their permission of course) I would like to see what people do under a GM that encourages power-gaming as a necessity for survival. As with Nighthaunter, I suspect my group would have gotten torn up.
emo samurai
I shouldn't have allowed my players to get in extra damage with auto-fire on the spirits; that was a mistake. Then again, if I hadn't, they would be dead. So I'm conflicted.

Maybe I'll have Johann use different guns; machine pistols kind of suck. He would have been able to get damage through with a Predator or a rifle.
James McMurray
The extra damage still happens, it just doesn't help to bypass their immunity.
emo samurai
Oh; then Johann kicked their asses.
hyzmarca
There is already a canon Crime Mall in Puyallup. Its where all the posh criminals go to buy their illegal drugs and military-grade weapons but I don't believe it has any official corporate backing.
Lagomorph
congrats on a sucessful first game, it sounds pretty crazy! I look forward to hearing more about it!

mdynna
emo I just had a funny image/description you could use during this run: "Just for one moment, the horrific screams of the victims can't be heard, the vicious crunching of the Insects dies away, and everyone is stopping to reload their weapons, you hear the (now mockingly) pleasant tones of the mall's muzak softly hum through the ever-present speakers (hum 'I Dream of Genie' here)."
emo samurai
Sounds great! I should mention muzak constantly playing in the background. It would be fun. And I failed, utterly, to talk about the other survivors of the onslaught.

FanGirl? You've removed me from you sig! I've never been more insulted... *sob*.
mintcar
It's fun to see some of the crazy ideas come to life. Now I can never tell stories about my game here; because these incomprehensible characters and this here surreal story, it's just slightly more stupid than what any of us gets from time to time smile.gif (Or is it just me? indifferent.gif I knew I should have kept my mouth shut!)
emo samurai
My game's stupid? More like AWESOME!!!
Dissonance
More like YOUR MOM.

OH NO I DINNT JUST GO THERE.
Valentinew
rotfl.gif

Emo, dood, you've got to learn to stop rising to the bait....

And really, who can't recognize the inherent absurdity of starting a campaign with the appearance of a horde of bug shamans & minions? I appreciate the fact that you prefer high-powered romps, but....

FG - sounds like you guys had some fun! Also, I'm fairly certain that you DO roll attribute+skill+CF. At least that's how my team's been playing it...if anybody can find me a book quote that contradicts this, I will willingly concede the point....
James McMurray
If you start with bug shamen, there's still plenty of stuff to move up to.
Big D
As long as you don't start with a dragon...
emo samurai
Random silliness, with crazy epic shit every so often. "Invae in a Mall" started out as a way to modify Food Fight and give them equipment for free, allowing everyone to get used to basic uses of their skills. Then came "Invae in a Mall." I regret nothing.

And the "MORE LIKE AWESOME" thing was a joke. I'm... I'm insulted you think so little of me.

:.(.. (The periods are tears)
Dissonance
More like SNAKES ON A PLANE.

I'll stop now. Honest.
emo samurai
More like SNAKES ON A PLANE.

MotherFUCKER.

I won't stop.
Dranem
QUOTE (Valentinew @ Apr 24 2006, 07:03 PM)
FG - sounds like you guys had some fun!  Also, I'm fairly certain that you DO roll attribute+skill+CF.  At least that's how my team's been playing it...if anybody can find me a book quote that contradicts this, I will willingly concede the point....

QUOTE (p.233)
For simplicity, Complex Forms are identifi ed by the programs their functions mimic. For each program available (see p. 225), there is an equivalent Complex Form.

QUOTE (p.223)
When you are directly interacting with a device, make Hacking Tests using Hacking skill + Logic. If you are utilizing a hacking program, makes tests using Hacking skill + program rating.

If you are using a program or Complex Form to perform a function, the attribute is not used. Only the Skill + Program Rating. You use your attribute or the program rating, never both.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Dranem)
If you are using a program or Complex Form to perform a function, the attribute is not used. Only the Skill + Program Rating.

Ah well. Next time I'm faced with something tough like that, I'll just Thread the necessary CF and hope for the best.
emo samurai
Good idea; and use sprites. SPRITES!!!!
FanGirl
Yeah, but not on this mission. The only way to get sprites to assist in operations or sustain CFs is to register them, and that literally takes hours. Next mission, however, I'll have Fault Sprites galore. biggrin.gif
Dranem
You can still get sprites to do jobs...
Compile a Sprite at your level, if you're lucky you'll get 3+ services out of it in an opposed fading test. You can only have 1 unregistered sprite, so choose your Sprite wisely. smile.gif

Remember one action is a service, even if - say an attack run - has multiple targets, it's one service. The Sprite is good for 8 hours or till all services are completed. Once that baby's done, provided you haven't given yourself a headache yet, you can compile another one, and just keep going. biggrin.gif

And as you mentioned, threading is the biggest advantage a technomancer has over a regular hacker. You can thread a form that you don't already know to do a job you normally can't, or you can thread a form you do know to make it more powerful. How many hackers can boast about improvising programs or boosting programs on the fly? wink.gif
FanGirl
I already kinda knew all this: I was just emphasizing that I would have to register a sprite before I could make it increase my dice pool. Thanks, though. smile.gif

Oh yeah, and I was reading through the archives of COMMISSIONED today when I found this one strip that reminded me of Emo. He only wishes this were true.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Valentinew)
rotfl.gif

Emo, dood, you've got to learn to stop rising to the bait....

And really, who can't recognize the inherent absurdity of starting a campaign with the appearance of a horde of bug shamans & minions? I appreciate the fact that you prefer high-powered romps, but....

FG - sounds like you guys had some fun! Also, I'm fairly certain that you DO roll attribute+skill+CF. At least that's how my team's been playing it...if anybody can find me a book quote that contradicts this, I will willingly concede the point....

Yeah, that would be like starting an action movie by blowing up a building

*cough* Lethal Weapon 3*Cough*

And no respectable star like say Mel Gibson, would ever be in such a Movie

</sarcasm> Starting off with a bang is a good way to get the chars emotionally involved from the start
mintcar
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Random silliness, with crazy epic shit every so often. "Invae in a Mall" started out as a way to modify Food Fight and give them equipment for free, allowing everyone to get used to basic uses of their skills. Then came "Invae in a Mall." I regret nothing.

And the "MORE LIKE AWESOME" thing was a joke. I'm... I'm insulted you think so little of me.

Come on. We know you do it on puropose. I wasn't calling you stupid wink.gif . And I also said similar elements turn up in my game too, though it's not the main focus.
Ryu
It really seems like an action game. Likely a good start for newbies into the world of SR. If Emo can keep that pace up, more power to him.

I fear for the player of Johann tough. Once upon a time (SR2) we said "Never have a street sam as your first character. Everything else will feel weak afterwards."

Concerning the looting: Electronics, cyberware kits, good armor. Only choice weapons. Load up on things you need but could not afford at chargen. What kind of shops were present?
emo samurai
An Ares store that had all kinds of weapons, an S-K store with all kinds of foci and grimoires, and an MCT store with all kinds of drones.
Valentinew
QUOTE (emo samurai)

rotfl.gif

I don't think so little of you...really! I like the idea that you are pushing the envelope in your own way. I'm simply used to games that start a little slower to give the players more time to roleplay first. My last 2 games? One started with a milk-run data steal to get us used to the new rule set, the other (a D&D campaign) started with 2 weeks worth of walking to the first big town (we play a lot of the walking stuff online now, so our actual games can have action, lol).

The start of your game seems pretty epic, much like a movie, as has been mentioned already. I'm interested to see if you're able to maintain the intensity while still allowing for some good roleplay, especially between the characters.

So, as for the dicepools...and I'm not sure I read those passages in the same way you do...I think I finally understand why some folks have made their TMs so one-dimensional. Without being allowed to add my Logic to those dicepools, I almost have to thread all my CFs simply to bring them to a level where I can accomplish decent things, as they are all very average scores at this point.

FG: I'm still working out the sprites as well...I've done pretty well without them so far...but then again, apparently I've been rolling too many dice, lol.
Edward
I feal the need to point out that mega corps sell more than one product line.

SK sells more guns and drones than they do spells and foci (inspite of being well known for magic there just isn’t the same market)

Aries is well known in the drone market. As well as entertainment

MCT last I knew was best known for electronics especially consumer and corporate electronics but also hacker gear.

Any AAA rated corp will have an interest in absolutely every aria of business.

That said aztechnology should own the food court, it matches the corporation’s primary focus and makes runners ill when they learn about blood mages.

Edward
emo samurai
The thing is, though, they're right next to each other; if they overlap, it'll spark a local price war. If they divide up the market for the mall, then there'll be fewer problems. And no one wants to deal with Aztechnology; not runners.
Ryu
If one disregards real-world-policies of multi-market-businesses, a joint venture where every corp does just those things it enjoys the greatest rep for is very likely all of a sudden.

In this case it should help to establish the rep of the AAAs in the mind of Emos players. It has little merit in a "realistic" SR-setting of course.
emo samurai
Real-world-policies? You mean laws? Don't make me laugh.
PBTHHHHT
Glad y'all are having a good and fun start. While the concept of making a mall of this sort seems to be a bit much but hey to each their own, I do like the wrench thrown into the whole works. Invae in a Mall... heh. For the sequel it's Wendigos on a Train!!! biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Vampires on a Ship.

Shedim on a Bus.

Bandersnatches on an Airship.

Horrors on an Orbital.

Yeeeesssssssss....

I hope to move the games faster from now on. I'm sorry about that.
PBTHHHHT
Lol. Shedim on a Bus? Hmmm... gotta combine that with speed. If we drive slower than 50 miles an hour, the bus will blow up and the shedim might get away... If we keep above it, wait, it still doesn't make sense, oh heck with it, kill the shedim! smile.gif
emo samurai
Buy three Sci-Fi channel movie concepts, get one free!
Valentinew
rotfl.gif
Shrike30
Bug spirits on a starting run? Yeeeeeeehaw. Starts out fast and loud, just like any good rock album, and if it's solid, it'll stay that way, with the occasional quiet interlude just to keep from desensitizing the listener. Heavy weapons pounding the eardrums in tight hive tunnels, nasty scents you don't want to be able to identify, horiffic critters from our nightmares coming out of the walls, glaring lights and fires ruining your night vision fifty feet underground, and a real fat paycheck waiting at the end if you can keep your skin in one piece? Sounds like a good plan to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012