Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think of dragons?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Ummm... Okay. They're using the exact same sensors to perceive the world. The rigger is getting the exact same data the drone gets, whether he is jumped in or not. His perception test doesn't involve getting more information from the world around him. They can't, unless you assume that the mechanical devices on the drone somehow start functioning better because he's jumped in. The higher dice for the test involves better interpretation of that information, which can be done just as easily as him sitting at a screen.

the last sentance is where you are wrong
mfb
exactly. if the rigger is not jumped into the drone, the drone uses its own sensor + clearsight for perception tests. if the rigger is jumped into the drone, he uses either intuition + perception, or sensor + perception, depending on how you read the rules (i'm not sure if the Drones and Sensors section overrides the rules in the Jumping into Drones; i believe that the Drones and Sensors test applies when running drones in AR, but it doesn't say, and the Jumping into Drones section says nothing about exceptions to the rules it presents). either way, unless the security rigger is pretty dim, he'll probably outclass his drones--and that doesn't even take Edge into account.
James McMurray
Hmm. I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. I still think it's a waste of time for him to jump from drone to drone, because if his attention s focused fully on one drone he's missing the information from the others. I'm also not sure if the company would want to pay him hazard pay just for looking around town, whether he's jacked in or not. Beat cops don't get hazard pay all the time (at least that's how I'd rule it if it ever actually mattered in a game I ran). So far what a lone star officer of any type gets paid has never mattered in a game. smile.gif

But like I've said all along, you do it how you want and I'll do it how I want. Your need to prove me wrong is kinda amusing. smile.gif

Edit: If he's using his edge on his drone jumped perception tests he's going to run out of edge really fast, or is the GM using OOC knowledge and only edging the ones that matter?
Kagetenshi
Regular Lone Star cops might as well get hazard pay all the time. It might let them afford a Middle lifestyle.

(Remember that next time you think the cops (in Shadowrun) are interested in public safety)

~J
James McMurray
Cops have been underpaid for a looong time and are still interested in public safety (depending on the cop of course). Most of the cops I've known got into the business because they awnted to "Protect and Serve." It certainly wasn't because they craved the phat loot.
Shrike30
Dragons? Those things on the news?

Yeah. Never had a dragon in a game I've run, don't really intend to. Hell, my players have never interacted with any of the big names in the sourcebooks. They just aren't players on that scale.

... okay, those puns were really not intended.
mfb
that could easily change, McMurray. witness the rise of companies such as Blackwater. the skills required to effectively protect and serve, combined with the risks involved in the job itself would, in any other profession, rate a very high salary. cops (and soldiers) don't get that pay because goverments can't, or won't, afford it. private corporations, however, who can lose their contracts if they don't fulfill them, would have a greater incentive to pay their people what they're worth.

as for my need to prove you wrong, don't overestimate yourself. i do the same to anyone who i feel is not in full possession of the facts--as you were not. what you choose to do with those facts is your own affair.
James McMurray
LOL. So all your arguing and representation of what you feel are the "facts" of 2070 technopolice procedure was altruistic and not ego? Thank you. smile.gif

Of course you pay people what they're worth. That doesn't mean that people who go into law enforcement are looking for the money. A rigger can make really good money without ever putting himself at risk. The choice to take a job that puts you at risk is therefor probably not entirely based on money. Partly? Maybe. But for the most part I think that people who join the local police force (LS, KE, or whatever) are doing it because they want to help people. The ones that join private security forces (Renraku Red Samurai, etc.) do it for the money.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb)
private corporations, however, who can lose their contracts if they don't fulfill them, would have a greater incentive to pay their people what they're worth.

I disagree heartily. They've got an incentive to keep a core group of people who are worth meaningful money on hand, but it's very easy to make a contract very difficult to lost without spending nearly as much as maintaining a full competent force.

~J
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
LOL. So all your arguing and representation of what you feel are the "facts" of 2070 technopolice procedure was altruistic and not ego? Thank you.

altruism? hardly. i like being right. the only "facts" i presented are those based on the rules--so, really, no quotation marks are necessary. regardless, i'm finished watching you try to save face that you never lost.

Kage, i don't think we disagree. i'm not saying that every beat cop should be getting 50k/yr plus benefits--but only because they're not worth that. there's no need to hire competent guys to fill most positions in the Star, but the guys who are competent (or, at least, the guys who fill positions in which competence is required to keep the overall contract) get paid reasonably well.
James McMurray
So your assertions about how riggers in the Star have to work are based on the rules? Interesting. smile.gif
Shrike30
Given how hard it can be to get a copy of Lone Star, we've gotta base it on something...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012