Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think of dragons?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Glyph
Hard to do, though, when you are in the air and being attacked from all sides. The karma warping ability is the only thing that I see allowing it, and even then, I think it's preposterous for a dragon to go one on one with the concentrated firepower of a modern military. First, because even a great dragon should get turned into burning chunky bits in that kind of situation. Second, because a great dragon wouldn't be dumb enough to get into such a situation to begin with.

Even if it was capable of winning (which it shouldn't be), I still don't see a great dragon revealing that much of its power. They have a nice place in modern society - they are movers and shakers, master manipulators. The humans are mere pawns, but only if they don't start looking at dragons as a threat. Why risk that?
emo samurai
What if you're Ghostwalker, and you use your Spirit Affinity: Everything to help you channel a force 25 great form spirit? Then you get hardened armor 50, which should stop everything short of a nuke.
Kanada Ten
Deflect, Spirit Channeled Hardened Armor and a few Spirit interceptors, Physical Barrier, Imp. Invisibility and Double Image, with a mere 50 Karma Pool and then triggered Heal spells as needed. If we're asking how a prepared Great Dragon could destroy a mundane city, such as Aden or Hualpa, then the answer is: very easily. If we're asking how Ghostwalker took down Denver, well... Home Ground, Potency and Regeneration.
emo samurai
Potency?
Dawnshadow
Remember.. Ghostwalker has initiate grade in the high double digits.. and when you channel, if they have the "armour" modification for initiate grade, that applies to you as well..

So really, channelling a force 25 great form, with +30 armour, at LEAST, really means Ghostwalker has Hardened Armour 100. Minimum.

Even most AV weapons aren't power 50.
mmu1
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Deflect, Spirit Channeled Hardened Armor and a few Spirit interceptors, Physical Barrier, Imp. Invisibility and Double Image, with a mere 50 Karma Pool and then triggered Heal spells as needed. If we're asking how a prepared Great Dragon could destroy a mundane city, such as Aden or Hualpa, then the answer is: very easily. If we're asking how Ghostwalker took down Denver, well... Home Ground, Potency and Regeneration.

Even if the rules let a dragon do that (And is it really that simple? Wouldn't the UCAS military - with decades to learn from the Ghost Dance - have the ability to throw a huge amount of magical firepower of its own at it? I don't believe they wouldn't have as many high-level combat-focused iniatory groups as they could manage), it doesn't make it any less absurd... at least to me.

Any rules that place a 5.56mm assault rifle bullet and a 120mm APFSDS round from a tank (with a fire control system that provides pinpoint accuracy from a couple of kilometers away - dodge that...) that can penetrate an amount of armor equivalent to almost a meter of high-quality steel on the same scale are hard to take seriously, when talking about a giant lizard vs. a country scenario.
emo samurai
Like I said, he probably channeled a really high-force spirit.
mmu1
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Remember.. Ghostwalker has initiate grade in the high double digits.. and when you channel, if they have the "armour" modification for initiate grade, that applies to you as well..

So really, channelling a force 25 great form, with +30 armour, at LEAST, really means Ghostwalker has Hardened Armour 100. Minimum.

That's because (as I said in my other post) the rules were never meant to realistically cover that wide a range of weapons, and AV and anti-tank weapons in SR are extremely underpowered... Tank / anti tank weaponry should have its own scale, just like naval weapons.
Kremlin KOA
MMU Ghostwalker has had 20 000 years AWAKE to learn how people operate
and this isNOTthe first Air force he has gone up against
The last air forces had bigger guns too
mmu1
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ May 6 2006, 12:55 PM)
MMU Ghostwalker has had 20 000 years AWAKE to learn how people operate
and this isNOTthe first Air force he has gone up against
The last air forces had bigger guns too

What's your point? If the damage of anti-tank rounds and air-to-ground weapons was scaled correctly, he could have a Hardended Armor of 200 and still get squashed like a bug.

The only way you can explain what happens in canon SR is by waving the magic wand, and saying "it's ok, he's a dragon". (where "dragon" basically means "a god") - which is what the designers do... And I, for one, think it's retarded. It goes against everything I look for when I play SR, as opposed to when, let's say, I play D&D.
mfb
QUOTE (mmu1)
The only way you can explain what happens in canon SR is by waving the magic wand, and saying "it's ok, he's a dragon". (where "dragon" basically means "a god") - which is what the designers do... And I, for one, think it's retarded. It goes against everything I look for when I play SR, as opposed to when, let's say, I play D&D.

does not compute. in D&D, anything can be killed. dragons go down all the time. even gods have a stat line. (it's a retarded stat line, but it's there.)
cx2
There has to be something at the top of the food chain, and the best SR enemies are the ones you never go toe to toe with. This includes faceless corp bosses, and yes dragons. If we follow the line of reasoning that dragons should be killable in normal SR game context we should also expect rules to bring down megacorps such as Ares or Renraku, maybe even whole countries. Part of what makes SR into SR is the fact that your characters are drops in the ocean and trying to eek out survival, otherwise you're looking at D&D with guns and cars. They're not heros, they're (meta)humans.

And if runners can dodge bullets on the ground what's to say a dragon in the air with all the space to move in can't? Aside from the normal dodge abilities what's to say he doesn't have something like the adept powers which warn of impending attacks? Or anything that would in SR4 give extra initiative passes?

I could definitely see a dragon going on a rampage if it's the best way to get what he wants. Violence is a manipulative tool as well, and in the case of the big scaly ones a damn huge one. Do they care if (meta)humanity sees them as a threat? Dragon rampages are rare at best, and unless they were hell bent on wiping out life on the planet (well, by force anyway...) the governments won't tempt anything. Neither would anyone else who wants to keep all his limbs attached. Plus each named Great Dragon has its own agendas, noone would tarnish them all with the same brush unless they had a personal grudge.
mmu1
QUOTE (mfb)
does not compute. in D&D, anything can be killed. dragons go down all the time. even gods have a stat line. (it's a retarded stat line, but it's there.)

In 99% of D&D settings, with PCs between 1st and 20th level, an ancient Great Wyrm dragon can, within the rules, plausibly and easily terrorize a nation (even though my point wasn't really about the rules) and more importantly, that's one of D&Ds tropes. You're supposed to have giant, over the top threats that will take the span of a campaign to topple.

However, that's not what I think SR should be about (giant fire-breathing lizards being able to lay whole countries to waste - that sort of stuff tends to overshadow everything else, which is why I'm sick of dragons and IEs, and I only really only had to listen to people go on about them on Dumpshock) and it's not what I look for... but maybe that's just me.
mmu1
QUOTE (cx2)
There has to be something at the top of the food chain, and the best SR enemies are the ones you never go toe to toe with. This includes faceless corp bosses, and yes dragons. If we follow the line of reasoning that dragons should be killable in normal SR game context we should also expect rules to bring down megacorps such as Ares or Renraku, maybe even whole countries. Part of what makes SR into SR is the fact that your characters are drops in the ocean and trying to eek out survival, otherwise you're looking at D&D with guns and cars. They're not heros, they're (meta)humans.

Where did I say that dragons should be killable in a normal SR game? I'm saying they should be killable by an army.

Dragons and faceless AAA corp bosses might be powerful, but they shouldn't be more powerful than the combined military of a 1st-world nation. (a military in fact, and not just in name, still capable of fielding armies on a similar scale to the old USA)
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (mmu1 @ May 6 2006, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ May 6 2006, 10:58 AM)
Deflect, Spirit Channeled Hardened Armor and a few Spirit interceptors, Physical Barrier, Imp. Invisibility and Double Image, with a mere 50 Karma Pool and then triggered Heal spells as needed.  If we're asking how a prepared Great Dragon could destroy a mundane city, such as Aden or Hualpa, then the answer is: very easily.  If we're asking how Ghostwalker took down Denver, well... Home Ground, Potency and Regeneration.

Even if the rules let a dragon do that (And is it really that simple? Wouldn't the UCAS military - with decades to learn from the Ghost Dance - have the ability to throw a huge amount of magical firepower of its own at it? I don't believe they wouldn't have as many high-level combat-focused iniatory groups as they could manage), it doesn't make it any less absurd... at least to me.

Who said anything about the UCAS military? I was speaking of mundane armies, and pre-magic nations. There is no way for a mundane army to fight a dragon. Even Trid Phantasm would fool missiles into thinking they hit a wall. Deflect would be more than enough to "dodge" cannons when you consider Mass Confustion (or worse: Mob Mind) Extended Range with a Magic of 26 and Force of 10 along with a Deflect Force 10. Any Grade 10 mage can take out huge forces if those forces have no magical support. If you're playing SR because a mundane can kill a dragon, that's fine; but no mundane should be able to take a /prepared/ Great Dragon.

Where did I say that dragons should be killable in a normal SR game? I'm saying they should be killable by an army.

Feurschwinge was killed by the German military when she first woke up, dazed and posioned by toxins. She attacked first, IIRC, and they unloaded everything. She wasn't ready.

In Denver there was a limit to the amount of firepower any nation was allowed to have, and only Aztlan forces engaged Ghostwalker for any period of time. The other nations told their forces to stand down and take cover.
Austere Emancipator
The UGM-188 Sea Saber missile in Rigger 3 does 24 Deadly Naval, which translates to 120D (AV) + 26 boxes of overdamage. A basic Western Great Dragon with Immunity to Normal Weapons at Force 36 would still take 62D + 26 overdamage after both the Immunity and Hardened Armor. If a dragon went insane and really attempted to wage conventional war against a modern (SR) military, it would suddenly find itself the target of dozens or hundreds of these, and other weaponry that's at least as capable of reducing any fauna to a bloody mess.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Even Trid Phantasm would fool missiles into thinking they hit a wall.

A missile will not care if it's visual sensors suddenly claim there's a wall in front of it. Its guidance systems are still telling it the target (a massive radar, IR, etc. signature in the form of a flying lizard) is still some way off.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
[...] Mass Confustion (or worse: Mob Mind) Extended Range with a Magic of 26 [...]

This requires you to see the people who are firing at you. Only they're within armored, camouflaged vehicles or structures between several hundred meters and dozens of kilometers away.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Any Grade 10 mage can take out huge forces if those forces have no magical support.

That's true, as long as the mage is prepared and the huge conventional, mundane force is totally clueless.
mmu1
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ May 6 2006, 02:06 PM)
Feurschwinge was killed by the German military when she first woke up, dazed and posioned by toxins.  She attacked first, IIRC, and they unloaded everything.  She wasn't ready.

Fair enough, but a lot of people seem to be saying that, in fact, that sort of thing should not be able to happen. (I'm not specifically adressing all my posts to you, you know wink.gif)
mfb
QUOTE (mmu1)
In 99% of D&D settings, with PCs between 1st and 20th level, an ancient Great Wyrm dragon can, within the rules, plausibly and easily terrorize a nation (even though my point wasn't really about the rules) and more importantly, that's one of D&Ds tropes. You're supposed to have giant, over the top threats that will take the span of a campaign to topple.

except that high-level heroes are also part of 99% of D&D settings, which means that a great wyrm dragon can't terrorize most nations for longer than it takes to get a posse together.

moreover, GDs and IEs have been statless monstrosities since early, early 2nd edition at the latest. i understand if you, personally, don't care for that, but a) it's easily conceivable that they'd be able to gather that much power over their long lives, and b) that's how the books have presented them for quite a while, now.
mmu1
QUOTE (mfb)
except that high-level heroes are also part of 99% of D&D settings, which means that a great wyrm dragon can't terrorize most nations for longer than it takes to get a posse together.

High enough to take care of an ancient dragon? Not really... High-end dragons, in the latest edition, are basically plot devices, capable of picking their teeth with the average 20th level NPC.
mfb
they're CR 27. they'll eat a single 20th-level PC, yes, but a party of PCs should be able to manage it handily.
James McMurray
A party of 20th level PCs (and even more so NPCs) is meat against a CR 27 creature. CR 27 creatures are made for ECL 27 characters, which do exist as part of the standard setting. I don't have my ELH with me, but IIRC Mordenkainen is somehwere between 25th and 35th level.

Harlequin (the module, not the guy) said it best: if you give ti stats, it can be killed. If you don't want something killed, don't give it stats and fudge, fudge, fudge. If you do want it killable, give it stats based on how hard you want the task to be.
Austere Emancipator
Depends on the party, obviously. Not all 4-character 20th level parties are equal. Some can slaughter great wyrm goldens with ease, some will get their asses handed to them by an ancient. Elminster is a 35th level character with a CR of 45, but a great wyrm red could quite feasibly kill him with a single round's worth of physical attacks (pre-ELH, at least).

Well, at least in SR3, if a dragon is hit by a SSM its chances of survival are quite a bit lower than they would be in D20 Modern.
Ophis
QUOTE (James McMurray)
A party of 20th level PCs (and even more so NPCs) is meat against a CR 27 creature. CR 27 creatures are made for ECL 27 characters, which do exist as part of the standard setting. I don't have my ELH with me, but IIRC Mordenkainen is somehwere between 25th and 35th level.

Wow my player must be good, most level 20 parties I've run for wipe the floor with the CR27 dragons.

As it stands I like the way that GDs aren't statted, the should own the PCs easily. Maybe the full might of an army would flatten them, but they are not going to stand still when the force is bought to bear. Ghostwalker did "lay waste" to a city but he did it by guerilla war, hit and fade. He had spirits tasked to accident missiles fired at him and was running a whack load of armour spell to boot. He did get burned by an AV laser early on, because he did not know what it was. I haven't run the numbers but it looks to me like he could have done it even if he had stats.

BTW I like the dragons on my side.
Fire Hawk
Then again, there's always the question of whether or not a dragon really is on your side. Things such as friendships and alliances are rather ambiguous in Shadowrun...

"The enemy of my enemy... Could still be an evil, bad@$$ muthaF***'er"
toturi
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Firestorm)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 5 2006, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (James McMurray)
If they can die, they can be killed.

....hmm...

Maybe a NovaCannon*1000 would do the trick.

[snip]

10 karma to the first one to get the game reference

Hmm, I think It's a Novagun.

and it would most probably do the trick.... though a Novagun*1000 would probably
get all the dragons of the world at the same time. ( to be sure I'd have to remove several layer of dust from the books you're referring which are IIRC Space Opera & the various sourcebooks about space fleets. )

And the survey said... *Ding* ...Space Opera.

You get the 10 Karma.

It's been quite a while since I looked at the rules myself.

I actually have the complete set including the Selden's compendiums & various star atlases.

The Novagun*1000 is designed to put really big holes in other starships (and basically vapourise any living matter caught in the beam). I am not sure if they were very useful as a primary planetary bombardment weapon. That seemed to be the realm of devices like StarTorps, Phoenix Hellburners and the granddaddy of them all...

Planet Busters

...ok Lofie...dodge this...

Or the simplest uber-WMD weapon of them all, the Reflex Cannon.

A Great Dragon might be able to take on a totally mundane 1st world military, but that is only if it is totally mundane(which would beg the question: How could it be a first world military then?)

Anyway a generic GD is indeed killable, it has stats and therefore can be killed. But the problem arises when you put named GDs on the table, those don't have stats and GMs are encouraged to NOT stat them.
ShadowDragon8685
"The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy, nothing more and nothing less."

Words a Shadowrunner will live or die by.

For what it's worth, I don't think a Shadowrunning team should be able to kill a GD unless it's the scope of the entire campaign, and they do it by assassinatorizing him while he's in human form. On the other hand, a Great Dragon needs to realize that despite what some people might say, it is not a Superpower unto itself, and if a full First World military gets ticked off enough to declare war on it, it should go and hide under Antarctica until the heat dies down in about a few centuries.

Then there's Lofwyr, who does have a Superpower (more or less) at his disposal, as well as himself. Busting Saeder-Krupp Heavy Industries and/or Lofwyr would be pretty damn hard.
emo samurai
How powerful do you think Saeder-Krupp as a whole is in comparison to countries?
Sharaloth
Depends on the Country. I'd say S-K on the whole is more powerful than most countries in the SR world, only bested by the likes of the UCAS, CAS, Japan, Britian, and other such nations.

Economically it beats them all individually. Militarily S-K should be rather lacking in comparison (though in my game I gave lofwyr his own personal carrier group in the atlantic and an actual army at his disposal, rather than a highly-trained security force). Influence on people? S-K's more powerful than any single nation in the world.
emo samurai
What would happen if he died randomly? What would this "power vaccum" I hear about look like?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Ya know, you all are forgetting that GD's now follow 4th edition rules. They been sorta nerfed since the maximum initiation they could get is 12.

Until I see canon 4th ed. stuff saying otherwise they are bound by the same rules as anybody else! They do have canon exceptions for skills beyond 7, but that's it!
Kanada Ten
A missile will not care if it's visual sensors suddenly claim there's a wall in front of it. Its guidance systems are still telling it the target (a massive radar, IR, etc. signature in the form of a flying lizard) is still some way off.

Trid Phantasam is Multi-Sense, it covers RADAR, IR, and so on; including the impact sensor. All would tell the machine: I just hit a wall.

This requires you to see the people who are firing at you. Only they're within armored, camouflaged vehicles or structures between several hundred meters and dozens of kilometers away.

No, they're regualr people in the streets all over the city.
Crusher Bob
Of course, this is why our dragon killing missiles include an astrally percieving hellhound brain as part of the guidance package. Sure the missiles are hard to maintain, any you need a rigger to play with all of the hell hound brains on a near constant basis, but the look on the dragon's face as the missile ignores his invisibility and blast him into small chunks is worth every penny.
ShadowDragon8685
And the fortune you reap on "salvage" is certainly going to pay back about a hundredfold.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)

still wouldn't mean much against a Phoenix Hellfire.
emo samurai
Even if you could hit Ghostwalker with a missile, his army of force 20+ spirits could run over pretty much anything short of the Ghost Dance.
Crusher Bob
No one is arguing that draongs should be easy to kill. Same thing with, say, sinking a modern aircraft carrier, at the center of an escort group. Sure it's difficult, but it is doable.

The communication disconnect that is occuring is that plently of people are putting forward weapons that should be able to kill a dragon. The fact that it might take X such weapons all fired at once plus a few other hoops to be jumped through first to get the job done does not change the fact that dragons are not invulnerable.

No one is untouchable, this is normally a genre convention of cyberpunk. This is why people tend to get so pissed about the fiat powers of IEs and the dragons. They violate the genre conventions. SR is a combination of fantasy (where you kill dragons all the time) and cyberpunk (where major corps fall all the time). To have some things in the world that are untouchable walks all over that.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Even if you could hit Ghostwalker with a missile, his army of force 20+ spirits could run over pretty much anything short of the Ghost Dance.

A Phoenix Hellburner is basically a province killer WMD that is fired from a minimum distance of HEO.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
No one is arguing that draongs should be easy to kill.  Same thing with, say, sinking a modern aircraft carrier, at the center of an escort group.  Sure it's difficult, but it is doable. 

The communication disconnect that is occuring is that plently of people are putting forward weapons that should be able to kill a dragon.  The fact that it might take X such weapons all fired at once plus a few other hoops to be jumped through first to get the job done does not change the fact that dragons are not invulnerable.

No one is untouchable, this is normally a genre convention of cyberpunk.  This is why people tend to get so pissed about the fiat powers of IEs and the dragons.  They violate the genre conventions.  SR is a combination of fantasy (where you kill dragons all the time) and cyberpunk (where major corps fall all the time).  To have some things in the world that are untouchable walks all over that.

...Thank you.

I have never even considered bringing GDs into my campaigns and only have one IE who is basically an eccentric inventor who's only desire is to push the envelope of existing technology.
emo samurai
Leonardo?

And I'm unhappy that the only "Big, Invincible Entities" that've been crushed have been AI's. Lofwyr must die!
Glyph
You know, that's one of the things I hate about IEs. I hate when they go through history turning all of the famous people into IEs.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Leonardo?

And I'm unhappy that the only "Big, Invincible Entities" that've been crushed have been AI's. Lofwyr must die!

...good guess but no

Actually she's a persona of my own known design affectiionately as Princess Kam to the Hawai'ians (although she is a great admirer of LdV). Kamilani Kameha Iolani is descended from the same line as the great Queen Iolani. She was originally a minor royal in the TT before she got the sense to get out and reclaim her true heritage. Her background is a rather long story and was the centrepiece of an extensive campign arc I ran back in the SR1/SR2 days.

As for Lofie...

I agree 110%

...beware of the Great Kahuna you stink'n scaly freak...

Princess K
Ophis
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 7 2006, 03:38 AM)
Ya know, you all are forgetting that GD's now follow 4th edition rules. They been sorta nerfed since the maximum initiation they could get is 12.

Actually I don't think thats a problem. Max Initate grade is your magic sure, so a magic 12 dragon has max grade 12. However if the dragon increases his magic (we can presume draconic max is 12+Initiate grade) to 13 his max grade goes up to 13 and so on. Thats at least how I see it, it's an infinite loop.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Of course, this is why our dragon killing missiles include an astrally percieving hellhound brain as part of the guidance package.  Sure the missiles are hard to maintain, any you need a rigger to play with all of the hell hound brains on a near constant basis, but the look on the dragon's face as the missile ignores his invisibility and blast him into small chunks is worth every penny.

...put Princess Kam down for eight of them
FanGirl
People, people, people! Don't you realize that the best way to kill a dragon is with another dragon?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys)

Until I see canon 4th ed. stuff saying otherwise they are bound by the same rules as anybody else! They do have canon exceptions for skills beyond 7, but that's it!

...basically GDs break the rules other characters must abide by. They can even nullify a character's use of edge dice.

...the only good GD is a very, very, very, dead GD
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (FanGirl)
People, people, people!  Don't you realize that the best way to kill a dragon is with another dragon?

...yeah, but who's got the nuyen.gif to bribe another dragon? And afterwards, not only do you still have that dragon to deal with, but you've broken the golden rule...

...never [NEVER] cut a deal with a dragon...

the emphasis is my own
ShadowDragon8685
There's nothing wrong with cutting a deal with a Dragon...

Just be 200% CERTAIN you are ready, willing and able to throw your 120% behind said dragon's agenda, 'cause it has one, and furthering your agenda means you owe it the kind of favors you're gonna keep oweing for the rest of your life.

So for me, basically the only GD I'd cut with is already dead. Maybe Celdyr, 'cause you know he's deep into tech and stands against Lofwyr pretty often. Dunno about Hestaby, given what Bright Eyes said in Dot6W, she may be making a few too many of those "difficult calls", which suggests they've become easy. And when the difficult calls become easy, they ain't the difficult calls anymore, you're in trouble.

And I don't believe that even were a Great Dragon to awaken and attack today, that it could defeat the armed forces of a first-world military. He won't know Trid Phantasm, because that spell will obviously not have been developed yet (No mechanical sensors in the 4th world == no reason to fool them), and that means he can't hide. And what you can track, you can kill - and if you're a huge reptile in the sky, you're a very obvious target.

The reason is simple. It will simply be overwhelmed by a hailstorm of missiles launched from every concievable platform. AEGIS-equipped cruisers which can fire a ridiculous number of surface-to-air missiles. F/A-18, F-22, and F-35 aircraft which can attack from ridiculously improbable angles of attack that the dragon won't even consider, and at ranges that it just can't percieve at. He'll run out of his ablative layer of "take-the-hit" spirits sooner or later, and since a full-scale engagement with missiles and aircraft falls well outside the range of "normal weapons", those spirits will be dieing pretty fast, too.

And of course, there's the trump card. If he evades all of those and lands somewhere, messes up a city and says it's mine, we might just say "No it's not. Do you like tomahawks?" And no, I'm not talking about the conventional weapon of a Native American Brave.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Trid Phantasam is Multi-Sense, it covers RADAR, IR, and so on; including the impact sensor. All would tell the machine: I just hit a wall.

I guess you meant SR4, then. In SR3, Phantasm is a visual illusion. Not that it'd matter much even then -- it'll just be blind for a moment, fizz right through the illusionary wall, reacquire the target and go after it.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
No, they're regualr people in the streets all over the city.

Okay. My bad. I was under the impression you were talking about "mundane armies", not random gunmen.

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
No one is arguing that draongs should be easy to kill. Same thing with, say, sinking a modern aircraft carrier, at the center of an escort group. Sure it's difficult, but it is doable.

Definitely not easy. Perhaps a bit easier than a carrier, but still not easy. smile.gif
Kanada Ten
And I don't believe that even were a Great Dragon to awaken and attack today, that it could defeat the armed forces of a first-world military. He won't know Trid Phantasm, because that spell will obviously not have been developed yet (No mechanical sensors in the 4th world == no reason to fool them), and that means he can't hide. And what you can track, you can kill - and if you're a huge reptile in the sky, you're a very obvious target.

Oh, he won't know shapechange either, eh? Drek on the rest of you post. Dunk woke up and gave an interview. And you have no idea how long dragons were able to astrally project before waking up fully (there is some indication they could at various periods).

Okay. My bad. I was under the impression you were talking about "mundane armies", not random gunmen.

I'm talking about the citizens of the city he's attacking, before the military even knows to scramble. A prepared dragon, remember? Not: a radom attack on the military. He'll have spies in the soliders, already assessed their capabilities, and sabotaged whatever needed to be sabotaged. Trid Phantasam is a multi-sense illusion in MitS, the SR3 is a mistake - which becomes obvious once you start using the Spell Design rules.
Austere Emancipator
Heh, I love how they've changed the spell's effects to justify its fucked up Drain Code. biggrin.gif

Anyway, all this discussion of spells to affect an actual combat situation is pointless if we go by the assumption that the dragon (or other big baddie) in question has already neutralized every single potential threat to itself beforehand. By the same token, James Bond can beat the mundane, pre-magic US Armed Forces ca. 2006.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012