Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are we missing an errata?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JonathanC
So, SR4 has rules for encumbrance...but there are no weights listed for any of the equipment. And while some things, like a few hundred bullets, could probably be extrapolated from something or other, I've got no idea how I would go about speculating on the weight of a Panther cannon. And speaking of the Panther Cannon, it says it's got all this recoil, but there's no listing for it. And it's got 1 point of recoil compensation, on a SS mode gun that doesn't, by the letter of the rules, need it at all.

So unless it's intentional that an anorexic dwarf can carry a bazooka on his back while firing a Panther cannon, I think we're due for some errata. cool.gif
Oracle
I think it is more a case of "use common sense".
JonathanC
So what would you consider to be a "common sense" recoil for a Panther XXL cannon? And really, if we're just going to leave the rules to common sense, why print rulebooks?
Critias
I think he means leave encumbrance to common sense -- IIRC, that's even the official party line as to why they left weights out (that, and their weights were so ridiculous in previous editions maybe they were just tired of us bitching).

And as for recoil, well, fluff ain't rules. If the rules say it's got recoil, it's got recoil. If the rules don't, it don't. It's not too complicated, don't overthink it.
JonathanC
The thing is, encumbrance rules are useless without weights. The rules actually *require* weights in order to be used. They're written as if you have access to weights. And frankly, not every situation is purely common sense. If I've got a guy with fair to low strength, and he's always carrying around a bunch of small stuff, how much small stuff is too much? And really, how much does a small drone weigh? We don't even know exactly what they're made of. Steel? Iron? Graphite? Some kind of weird polymer?
cx2
Actually the SR4 rules explicitly state that you only need to worry about weights if someone tries carrying a huge load of stuff at once. The only type of encumberance that isn't mostly left to gm discretion is for armour if I recall properly.
JonathanC
QUOTE (cx2)
Actually the SR4 rules explicitly state that you only need to worry about weights if someone tries carrying a huge load of stuff at once. The only type of encumberance that isn't mostly left to gm discretion is for armour if I recall properly.

Wel...yeah. Most teams, when they go out to work, bring a lot of crap with them. Guns, ammunition, spare clips, gyromounts, infiltration equipment, scanning equipmnt, melee weapons, spare melee weapons, backup guns, electronics, drones, and who knows what else.
Rotbart van Dainig
Most of the time, the description how they carry it around will keep this in sane levels.
Critias
Yeah -- when you see a character with a gigantic list of doo-dads and knick-knacks he wants to carry with him everywhere, just ask him where he's got it. Cargo pants pockets? A man-purse? A schoolbag?

Get a reasonable answer from 'em, and game on. Or, don't get a reasonable answer, trim the fat a little bit, work it out, and then game on. There's no reason to clutter up the equipment charts with another column, just for this (especially not given how insane their listed weights were, in previous editions, making it a column everyone ignored anyways).
Teulisch
the metahuman body has a weight. so your troll is more limited when using two dwarves ad clubs than he is swinging a couple iron girders.

the problem with common sense, is most people dont have any. when carrying heavy objects, the quistion is not pure weight so much as bulk of the item, leverage, and how long you can hold onto something a certain way. if you get a heavy weight in a plastic bag, the real limit is how the bag is going to dig into your fingers if you try to carry it by the handles.

if you have a way to carry your gear properly, it wont seem as heavy over the short-term. carrying a lot of weight in backpack and tactical harness for any length of time becomes more of an endurance question than a strength one.

one of the more interesting encumberance systems i remember (rolemaster? Merp?) has a rule where you counted only a small % of weight worn (armor), and a reduced amount for weight in a backpack or similar.
Critias
So, fine. We'll all pretend I just got a freelance gig to write an encumbrance rule for SR4. Everyone ready? Here's the official word from on high: if you have common sense, use it when determining encumbrance for your characters. If you don't have common sense, go on living your worthless life wallowing in ignorance and joyous liberation from the gravity-based shackles holding back lesser men from carrying everything and a kitchen sink around.

There. Problem solved.
Gort
Thing is, I don't WANT to use "common sense". I'm really not sure how strong strength 1 is, in terms of what a person can carry without taking penalties.

Common sense is all very well and good when you're talking about how awkward it would be to carry stuff around, but can a strength 1 character carry an armour vest, commlink, and an SMG without taking penalties?

Strength is such a bad stat already, it needs these rules to be worth a damn.
LilithTaveril
In the equipment section, it tells you how to define how much a person can carry based on their strength.

That aside, common sense means jack shit if you've never carried or fired a gun before. I can't name a single person in my group who's ever carried an assault rifle. While the Houserules Edition of SR does allow for a lot of leeway, this is one area where it only creates problems, as common sense tells us to not use movies as a base for our rulings, but we only have movies for any sort of experience to rely on.

And, finally, how many of you have fired a portable tank cannon in real life? I haven't. I have no clue what would be anywhere near appropriate. Would it be like that of a rifle? Or would it shatter the upper half of your body on the first shot? Well?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Gort)
Common sense is all very well and good when you're talking about how awkward it would be to carry stuff around, but can a strength 1 character carry an armour vest, commlink, and an SMG without taking penalties?

P 300 for reference.

Strength * 10 Kilos = Base carrying capacity. No test required.

For every 5 kg over that you get -1 dice pool modifier.

The commlink I would assume is neglible weight.

Without even knowing the exact weights, I think that the armour vest and SMG are no more then 15kg total, and at the very most not worth more then -1 dice pool modifier. In fact, I would most likely not even bother with any pool modifier, happily conceding it's possible the SMG and Vest are under 10 kg total. In fact, I'd only bother with the encumbrance in this case if I wanted to add a tiny bit of extra tension for the PC's jump test as they hop across the puddle to impress their date.
Demerzel
So since uncompensated recoil from one hand affects the other hands shooting, does that mean that if a Panther AC has 1 point of recoil compensation that you can dual wield them with ambidexterity for no penalty?

Critias
I dunno, go see if "assault cannon" is on the list of weapons that can be dual wielded.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Demerzel)
So since uncompensated recoil from one hand affects the other hands shooting, does that mean that if a Panther AC has 1 point of recoil compensation that you can dual wield them with ambidexterity for no penalty?

Someone has to ask, because someone will ask these questions.

Recoil affects you, not the hand. Yes, recoil compensation that eliminates recoil modifiers from one weapon will make it so the other weapon is unaffected. So there will not be a recoil penalty on the off hand Panther AC. The ambidexterity quality will eliminate the off hand shooting penalty.

However you will still need to split your dice pool if firing both at once.

And as a matter of policy I would make sure to consider encumbrance rules, and tend to guess high, as the Panther AC is both heavy, and awkward to carry. These encumbrance dice pool modifiers would also apply to the dice pool for shooting.

Edit, Oh yes, Panther AC is not a Pistol/SMG class weapon which is a prerequisite for a second firearm.
LilithTaveril
Which doesn't work out if you have a smartassed player who mounted the weapon on a tripod and is dual-wielding them without carrying them. Especially if they smartlinked the cannons.

Edit: To be honest, the way it looks, this is yet another item where to make it functional, you have to houserule it. Now, while I don't mind it, at times it does get annoying to have to go in and complete what the developpers didn't. That's not why I bought the game.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Critias)
So, fine. We'll all pretend I just got a freelance gig to write an encumbrance rule for SR4. Everyone ready? Here's the official word from on high: if you have common sense, use it when determining encumbrance for your characters. If you don't have common sense, go on living your worthless life wallowing in ignorance and joyous liberation from the gravity-based shackles holding back lesser men from carrying everything and a kitchen sink around.

There. Problem solved.

Leaving aside your typical assholeishness, that "rule" is mostly useless. How does one apply common sense to the question "can I carry my drone?" We have no sizes listed, nor any weights. Is it too big to lift without some sort of harness? If I do have a harness, can I even carry it?

So yes, while common sense will work for (oddly enough) common things, it's worthless in the face of nonexistent and vaguely desribed items.
Critias
Leaving aside your typical assholeishness...

Coming from you, is that a compliment or an insult?

...that "rule" is mostly useless. How does one apply common sense to the question "can I carry my drone?" We have no sizes listed, nor any weights. Is it too big to lift without some sort of harness? If I do have a harness, can I even carry it?

So look at the drone. Look at what the drone's described as. Compare the drone's Body attribute (often used, for vehicles as well as characters and critters, as a rough guideline of size) to the Body attribute of vehicles. Body 0? Well, yeah. You can probably carry that, supergenius. Body 2? Half a scooter? Maybe -- what's your character's own Strength and Body like, and how many hands has he got free? Body 4? About that of a scooter? Again, take a look at your character; your average Troll or close-combat Sammie, sure, you probably can lug it around for a bit.

Man, this is hard work. Being a GM is hell!

So yes, while common sense will work for (oddly enough) common things, it's worthless in the face of nonexistent and vaguely desribed items.

It's not "worthless," it just requires you to use what information the "vaguely described" item does have. Are you being purposefully obtuse, or had it never occured to you to just think a little bit, because griping about little shit is more fun?
lorechaser
I think the developers took a look at a big stack of To Dos.

Cyberwear. Magic. Adepts. Weapons. Essence. Skills. On and on and on.

And they looked at one stack that said "Figure out the weights for everything in the book."

And John Q. Dev said "Hey, Bob, do you use encumberance rules?" "Huh? Encumberance? No way. I just do what makes sense." "Huh. What about weird stuff?" "Eh, I work it out on the fly." "Huh. Hey, Sue, do you use encumberance rules?" "Eh, I tried to. But it was a pain." "Huh. Hey, Willie the poolboy, do you use encumberance rules?" "I do." "How do you weight things like an MCT Steel Lynx?" "Well, first I downloaded 14 schematics of modern day robots. Then I extrapoloated the weights based on chemical and physical changes over technology. I adjusted based on this grid, which plots awkwardness versus arm length. Here, let me just print out the 38 page guide to robot weights for you..." "Um, no, that's okay."

And John took that last stack, and dropped it in the trash, and said "Let's make some more ways to put holes in people."

Rock on John. Rock on.
Critias
Exactly. I don't think this is as big a deal as some people are trying to make it. If you wanna dislike SR4, fine, dislike SR4. But dislike it for the big reasons, don't go wasting your time scraping up new petty shit to hate it for.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (James McMurray)
How does one apply common sense to the question "can I carry my drone?" We have no sizes listed, nor any weights. Is it too big to lift without some sort of harness? If I do have a harness, can I even carry it?

Take what you know and apply it to what you do know. (Granted, to do this you do have to know somethings to start with.)

Drones, which are a class of things we do not have direct experience with, share a set of attributes with things we do have experience with. I would simply compare the Body and Armor of a drone with the Body and Armor of an object I do know and assess accordingly.

e.g. a C-D Dalmatian has a Body 4 and Armor 2, this compares to the Body 4 and Armor 2 of a Dodge Scoot. Can I carry a Dodge Scoot? Do I need a harness? Even if I am not certain of my answer being correct, there is always the pure empirical method of my running outside and trying to lift the nearest scooter. (Of course this leads to the question of do I have strength 1 or 6 ... which is a whole 'nother debate)
Teux
I'm of the opinion that weight isn't a big deal for most situations.

The biggest thing is just to be consistent.

If your troll can lug around a drone with no problem on Tuesday, don't make the same drone unluggable on Saturday.

You can always just fall back on the biggest GM tool available. When in doubt, make shit up.

Just be sure to write the stuff down as you make it up, so your consistent next time your players want to do the same thing.
Demerzel
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Edit: To be honest, the way it looks, this is yet another item where to make it functional, you have to houserule it. Now, while I don't mind it, at times it does get annoying to have to go in and complete what the developpers didn't. That's not why I bought the game.

That's actually exactly why you bought the game:

The developers didn't make your character for you.

The developers didn't make all the runs for you.

The developers didn't list for you all the exact responses to all the exact situations you will encounter.

Basically you bought the game to fill in what the devs didn't. If you want what you say you want, then it's a MMORPG on a computer. If you want a freeform game where ideas can be expressed in a flexibile structure, then this is a good choice of a game for you.
James McMurray
e.g. a C-D Dalmatian has a Body 4 and Armor 2, this compares to the Body 4 and Armor 2 of a Dodge Scoot. Can I carry a Dodge Scoot? Do I need a harness? Even if I am not certain of my answer being correct, there is always the pure empirical method of my running outside and trying to lift the nearest scooter. (Of course this leads to the question of do I have strength 1 or 6 ... which is a whole 'nother debate)

That works great if you assume that 1) Dobermans and Scoots are the same size and weight, 2) scooter technology doesn't change in 65 years and 3) you can roughly estimate your own strength within SR terms and extrapolate to other strengths from there.

One is far from a given, as I would assume drones to be made out of much different materials than scooters, and shaped drastically differently. Two is almost certainly untrue, and we are given no rules for what the weights are of the various new materials presented in SR (even general). Three is perhaps the easiest, since we're given the weights people can carry based on their strength, but without the other two it doesn't do a very good job of acting as a base for an encumbrance system.

If you wanna dislike SR4, fine, dislike SR4.

Who said they dislike SR4? We've got people that dislike having half a rule, but I don't see people leaving the edition because of it.

Coming from you, is that a compliment or an insult?

Knowing how I act and that I don't consider myself an asshole, if someone's behavior is such that I think it assholeish, that's most definitely an insult. But you, enjoying the role of super-ass, will almost assuredly take it as a compliment, as it means your online persona is doing its job. smile.gif
lorechaser
James: I think this thread is precisely why they didn't add weights.

The fact that no one here can reasonably agree on the weight of a single object means that it would be almost a futile effort.

That being said, someone out there has to be an engineering wonk with too much time on their hands, and have a burning desire to create a website dedicated to reasonable weights for everything you could ever want to carry, eh?
2bit
It is pretty strange to include encumberance rules and not give sample weights for various object classes. Some stuff I can guess at, but I'd hate to make a mistake like telling my group a missile weighs 5kg if it weighs more like 20.
James McMurray
People in this thread don't need to agree on weights if they're in the book. smile.gif
Critias
QUOTE (James McMurray)
People in this thread don't need to agree on weights if they're in the book. smile.gif

Game developers don't need to agree on weights to put them in a book, if individual GMs are willing to do what GMs do, and fucking improvise a little bit. smile.gif
James McMurray
Ah, now we've reached the italicized cursing stage? I was wondering when you'd go there. LOL

Perhaps you missed above where some people like to have complete rules rather than just partial ones? you obviously have nothing to add to a discussion about the numeric weights of objects because you prefer a more seat of your pants approach. That's cool. Nobody is attacking your way of gaming, so why do you feel the need to attack others?

Why do you feel the need to curse and complain when people don't agree with you? Are you that insecure? Why is it you can't understand that not everybody plays like you do, and that it's not a bad thing?

Generally behavior like this is linked to an inferiority complex, which is often accompanied by a superiority complex to compensate. Without some frank and personal discussions that's obviously far from a diagnosis. More of a "here's a possibility" then a "here's what's happening."

If you'd like some counseling on this I can probably suggest a few good folks. Although I may not know anyone in your area I can check through the grapevine and probably turn up a couple of respected names.
Critias
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Ah, now we've reached the italicized cursing stage? I was wondering when you'd go there. LOL

Perhaps you missed above where some people like to have complete rules rather than just partial ones? you obviously have nothing to add to a discussion about the numeric weights of objects because you prefer a more seat of your pants approach. That's cool. Nobody is attacking your way of gaming, so why do you feel the need to attack others?

Why do you feel the need to curse and complain when people don't agree with you? Are you that insecure? Why is it you can't understand that not everybody plays like you do, and that it's not a bad thing?

Generally behavior like this is linked to an inferiority complex, which is often accompanied by a superiority complex to compensate. Without some frank and personal discussions that's obviously far from a diagnosis. More of a "here's a possibility" then a "here's what's happening."

If you'd like some counseling on this I can probably suggest a few good folks. Although I may not know anyone in your area I can check through the grapevine and probably turn up a couple of respected names.

ohplease.gif Whining about cussing, from the guy who announced his presence on this thread by calling me an asshole. Sure thing, chief. Save the psyche eval's for yourself. Note, please, how civil the thread was before you started tossing insults around.
lorechaser
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Nah. People bitch and moan. It's what we do. If there were weights in the book, this thread would have the same title, but the first post would be "WTH? A Foo weighs XX kg, but a Foozle is XY kg? Come on. Let's look at this realistically. Sheesh, why even have encumberance rules if you can't come up with realistic weights?"

wink.gif

James McMurray
If you don't have common sense, go on living your worthless life wallowing in ignorance and joyous liberation from the gravity-based shackles holding back lesser men from carrying everything and a kitchen sink around.

So saying that people who want weights in the book live worthless lives wallowing in ignorance is civil? LOL

Besides, I wasn't whining, I was making a statement. There was a major difference between our posts, as well as a minor one. First the minor: yours was italicized. See? I said it was minor. smile.gif

Now for the major one: you insulted an entire group of people because they want a different rule set than you. I called a guy who is famous for acting like an asshole (and who was at the time acting like an asshole) an asshole.

Nah. People bitch and moan. It's what we do. If there were weights in the book, this thread would have the same title, but the first post would be "WTH? A Foo weighs XX kg, but a Foozle is XY kg? Come on. Let's look at this realistically. Sheesh, why even have encumberance rules if you can't come up with realistic weights?"

True, but the disagreeing types could massage the numbers for their house rules, which is vastly easier than creating them out of whole cloth.
Demonseed Elite
I haven't followed this entire thread, nor do I really want to go back and read a lot about gear weights and such, but seriously, the devs are never going to be able to pre-determine every last thing that a GM might have a question about or might not be inclined to improvise on. Even if we had the time to consider all of the possibilities during development (which, hell, we never do), you'd end up with a roleplaying book that read like a calculus textbook. And then chances are the players wouldn't read half of that stuff and would just post on these boards asking anyway.

Sometimes you just have to improvise. There is a lot of that in GMing. Believe it or not, there are still people who consider SR4 "too crunchy" and not free-form enough. You really can't win. nyahnyah.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Critias)

There. Problem solved.

Aside from the obvious situations where this rule is worthless that have already been pointed out, there is also the simple fact that this is, pretty much, the only game book I've ever bought with no listings for weight. About the only other game book I've seen with no weights listed was Kobolds Ate My Baby, and that game didn't have encumbrance rules either. It makes no sense to write encumbrance rules, and have everything be weightless except for the people.

Add in the fact that I live in a country where the metric system is, at best, a French joke waiting to happen, and your "solution" becomes even more asinine. How strong does a Troll have to be before he can lift a sub-compact car? And once he can do that, what about a limosine? A van? What if he just wants to lift up the two wheels, which seems like a reasonable feat, especially if he's got friends? Where do I set a threshold for lifting something that I don't know the weight of, genius?
James McMurray
Demonseed Elite: a column of weights is not a calculus textbook. Those weights appeared in previous editions and would have been easy enough to transfer into 4th. As a dev, can you tell us what the rationale was behind giving encumbrance rules but not actually giving encumbrance rules?

Is there a chance that Arsenal may have a unified gear listing in the back like it's predecessors did, and that the listing could have weights on it?
Demonseed Elite
Demonseed Elite: a column of weights is not a calculus textbook. Those weights appeared in previous editions and would have been easy enough to transfer into 4th. As a dev, can you tell us what the rationale was behind giving encumbrance rules but not actually giving encumbrance rules?

No, I'm not saying adding a column of weights makes a calculus book. But that's just one case; it's not as if there were a column of weights there everyone would say "oh, there's the column of weights, I have no more questions about Shadowrun." I'm saying you can't account for everything; GMs have to improvise sometimes.

Not to mention if the column of weights were there, I'm sure there'd be disagreement about the weights given. There was in the past.

As for the rationale, I don't know. I wasn't part of the writing crew for the Shadowrun 4 core book.
Critias
QUOTE (James McMurray)
So saying that people who want weights in the book live worthless lives wallowing in ignorance is civil? LOL

Uhh, no. I never said a word about people who want weights in their books. I was commenting about people with no common sense. What's wrong, guilty conscience on that front? Projecting? Assuming I meant you?
JonathanC
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

No, I'm not saying adding a column of weights makes a calculus book. But that's just one case; it's not as if there were a column of weights there everyone would say "oh, there's the column of weights, I have no more questions about Shadowrun." I'm saying you can't account for everything; GMs have to improvise sometimes.

Not to mention if the column of weights were there, I'm sure there'd be disagreement about the weights given. There was in the past.

As for the rationale, I don't know. I wasn't part of the writing crew for the Shadowrun 4 core book.

Right, but if you put rules for encumbrance into your rulebook, you don't have to be psychic to figure out that people might ask you about weights. I mean, it's not like I'm inquiring about the rules regarding how much food an ork can consume before he pukes. I'm asking about a set of rules that is *in* the book, but is then left undefined. It would be like having a chapter on combat, but then not having any combat skills listed in the book. Would "common sense" be the way to go in that case too?
James McMurray
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 24 2006, 10:59 AM)

Uhh, no. I never said a word about people who want weights in their books. I was commenting about people with no common sense. What's wrong, guilty conscience on that front? Projecting? Assuming I meant you?

Even you aren't that stupid. You knew exactly what you were implying, which is that people that did not want to have to improvise weights and encumbrance lack common sense.

Unless you're saying that you really are that stupid? I didn't think you were, but anything's possible.
RunnerPaul
There's rules for how many km the vehicles can travel in an hour, but they don't tell you how many km it is from Downtown Seattle to the Redmond Barrens either.

Given the other places in the rules that they've dropped requirements for detailed bookkeepping (i.e.: the "assume infinite storage capacity and unlimited bandwith except when dealing with enormous amounts of data" rule), combined with the fact that never in the history of any edition of SR have the weights on the table ever resembled reality, it's easy to see why they decided to leave the question of weight to the indivdual GM's research, for those rare times some caracter might try to decide to carry everything with them while attempting their covert criminal activity.
JonathanC
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
There's rules for how many km the vehicles can travel in an hour, but they don't tell you how many km it is from Downtown Seattle to the Redmond Barrens either.

That's because we have maps of where Redmond and Seattle are. They are readily available. What we *don't* have readily available is information on the weights and measures of non-existent technology given in metric measurements.
Charon
indifferent.gif

Honest truth is, I never calculated encumbrance even when there was weight listed for gears.

I'm not even bothering to look at at STR X 10 kg mechanic. It's non-sense anyway ; An average person can't really lug around 66 pounds of unevenly distributed gear with no effect on their agility!

As far as I'm concerned, PC can carry pretty much any armor (it has its own encumbrance mechanic), a main weapon, one or two side arm and a few utility gear.

And who carries more than that?

Special case, I improvise.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (JonathanC)
That's because we have maps of where Redmond and Seattle are. They are readily available. What we *don't* have readily available is information on the weights and measures of non-existent technology given in metric measurements.

What piece of SR4 equipment is so farfetched, so alien to modern day existance, that you can't name a realworld equivalent and use that weight? (Nanopaste Trodes = Tube of toothpaste; Commlink = small cellphone; RFID Tag Eraser = VHS tape bulk eraser; and so on...)
James McMurray
The thing is that while many items can be estimated, many can't. See the examples above. Heck, you can't even estimate the weight of SR versions of lots of modern items because of materials differences. In those cases the GM has to pluck something out of the air.

Guesstimating is made even harder by using measurements that are unfamiliar (metrics). Even assuming I know offhand how much a scooter weighs and I'm willing to accept that weight for a doberman, I now have to dig out my old math books and find the conversion formula for pounds and ounces to kilograms.

You're also missing the point. It isn't "guessing weights is impossible." Even the most farfetched items made from the most futuristic substances can have a weight pulled out of the GM's butt. It's "why should we have to guess weights when the rules clearly call for them and previous editions have had them?"

My group rotates GMs. The more hard and fast rules we have the better off we are. With nebulous encumbrance rules strange things can happen because GMs have differing ideas of what strange objects (like drones) should weigh.
JonathanC
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 24 2006, 12:41 PM)

What piece of SR4 equipment is so farfetched, so alien to modern day existance, that you can't name a realworld equivalent and use that weight? (Nanopaste Trodes = Tube of toothpaste; Commlink = small cellphone; RFID Tag Eraser = VHS tape bulk eraser; and so on...)

Drones come to mind. Scuba gear, while we know what it weighs *now*, must have changed radically over the course of, y'know, 60+ years. Also, I don't think a RFID tag eraser would weight the same as a VHS tape bulk eraser. It's dealing with a much smaller object. Plus, this kind of comparison would be like someone assuming that the cell phones we have now have the same general weight and size as the car phones of the 1980's.
Critias
So how often does it come up, really? Seriously. When was the last time a player said "Man, I wonder if I can carry two, or three, Steel Lynxes, and my scuba gear? And my trodes. And this slap patch. And my smart-sunglasses. And this stick of gum."

Honestly? Is it such an issue another set of poorly-thought-out "official" weights needs to be in the book, taking up space, causing a smaller type to be necessary, cluttering the tables up, and irritating us with it's laughable values?

If you feel it's all that necessary, why not just go in on your book, and scribble in some estimates, then pretend they were there when you bought it? You've got the weights you want, the rest of us don't have to worry about it, the devs don't have to waste time coming up with arbitrary numbers, everyone's happy.
Dissonance
Great. Now Shadowrun needs a fuckton of dice AND a metric-capable scale.

Yeah. I wonder how long it'll take for this thread to reach the ten-page mark without actually accomplishing anything.
James McMurray
If you feel it's all that necessary, why not just go in on your book, and scribble in some estimates, then pretend they were there when you bought it? 

Because I'm looking for official weights.

the rest of us don't have to worry about it,

Why would you have to worry about it? SR4 is all about giving tools and letting the group decide what they want. If they give weights and you don't want them it's really easy to ignore them. It's a heck of a lot easier to ignore weights than it is to create them.

the devs don't have to waste time coming up with arbitrary numbers, everyone's happy.

They already don't have to "waste time." Most items already have weights strewn across several older books. Besides, it's only a waste of time if someone subscribes to your view of what makes a good game. Since (luckily) not everyone does that, it's not a waste of time.

Honestly? Is it such an issue another set of poorly-thought-out "official" weights needs to be in the book, taking up space, causing a smaller type to be necessary, cluttering the tables up, and irritating us with it's laughable values?

To me the answer is yes. If they're that bad to you it's easy to ignore tham and "scribble in some estimates, then pretend they were there when you bought it."

By the way, have you actually looked at your equipment charts? There's plenty of room for a new column 4-5 characters wide. No need for a smaller font, and they're only taking up space that already exists.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012