Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nuclear Explosions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
The Canterbury Tail
Okay. Lone Wolf incident, the nuclear warheads fail to detonate properly, no one knows why.

Winternight's nuclear weapons placed on fault lines and tectonically unstable areas. Fail to detonate properly, no one knows why. Hinted at that either something about the sixth world means old style nuclear weapons just aren't functional any more or someone or something is affecting them to prevent them from going off.

However, Cermak blast in Chicago 2055, the nuclear device goes off as planned and functions as planned.

Are these contradictory or is something else going on here? Is there a force that stops bad nukes, but allows good ones (in laymans terms smile.gif )?
hyzmarca
No one knows why Lone Eagle failed to detonate. It might have been a super-secret anti-balistic missile system created by the Soviet Union or it might have just been a dud (the thing about bombs is that you can't be sure that they'll work untill they work). It could have been improperly armed, for that matter.

Ancient History
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail)
However, Cermak blast in Chicago 2055, the nuclear device goes off as planned and functions as planned.

Heh. Not quite as planned, no.
Austere Emancipator
There are several odd nuke-related incidents, true, but I find it a rather silly idea that somehow collisions between free neutrons and Pu239 nucleii happen differently in the 6th world.
The Canterbury Tail
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 11 2006, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail @ Oct 11 2006, 10:57 AM)

No? I thought it did work properly. I'll have to re-read on that.

Edit: Oh right I get it. But the nuke itself works. Doesn't it?
Kagetenshi
I can't check, since I've got a moratorium on reading Bug City-related material at least until my character escapes the city, but I seem to remember the blast not working correctly—it still detonated, but I'm pretty sure there was something wrong with the detonation.

~J
Hell Hound
Okay. Lone Wolf incident, the nuclear warheads fail to detonate properly, no one knows why.

Winternight's nuclear weapons placed on fault lines and tectonically unstable areas. Fail to detonate properly, no one knows why. Hinted at that either something about the sixth world means old style nuclear weapons just aren't functional any more or someone or something is affecting them to prevent them from going off.

Are these contradictory or is something else going on here? Is there a force that stops bad nukes, but allows good ones (in laymans terms smile.gif )?

I think its in Shadows of North America that one shadow post claims that the SAIM activists disabled the Lone Eagle's warhead because they never intended to nuke anyone, just bluff the US.

The Cermak Blast did not go exactly as planned. It occured inside the partially prepared magical barriers of an Insect Spirit hive which it seems confined the blast. The center of the explosion retained lethal levels of radiation but about fifty meters away it was safe to walk around without protection.

The Winternight bombs, according to the fluff text in System Failure, didn't have a problem detonating but they weren't as powerfull as they should have been (similar in that sense to the Cermak Blast).

As for bad stuff with nuclear power, there are also several reactors that have partially or fully exploded in SR history. The Cattenoom reactor meltdown that created the SOX, Glow City in Seattle, the Dunreay reactor explosion which was responsible for the Scottish Irradiated Zone and the Yarrow Reactor meltdown that created the Northern Irradiated Zone in England.

The only incident of successfull use of a Nuke that I can think of is the one Isreal dropped on Libya, however that occured in 2004, well before the Awakening.

Is it consistent? Not too sure. There are other reactors operating in the SR world that haven't blown up (although earlier fiction says they are Fusion reactors rather than Fission reactors, which might make a difference) and I don't know of any other nuclear exchanges that have taken place in SR history.
Ophis
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
There are several odd nuke-related incidents, true, but I find it a rather silly idea that somehow collisions between free neutrons and Pu239 nucleii happen differently in the 6th world.

Why the problem, they can get fusion reactors working, so maybe the return of magic does affect quantum and sub atomic physics some.
Kyoto Kid
...thus magic is now even more powerful than nukes? Great....[in a sarcastic sense of course]

Time for a Thor Shot.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 11 2006, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail @ Oct 11 2006, 10:57 AM)

No? I thought it did work properly. I'll have to re-read on that.

Edit: Oh right I get it. But the nuke itself works. Doesn't it?

It might be helpful for those interested to peruse the relevant sections of System Failure for more on nukes not working.

As far as it goes, sufficiently advanced magic can disable nukes. Example: Secrets of Power Trilogy Book III, Find Your Own Truth.
blakkie
I've gotten the vague impression that what is affecting nuclear devices might actually be a conscious magical effort. Likely meaning dragon. Potentially Lowfyr and if not definately with Lowfyr's knowledge or partial knowledge.

Or potentially that part of the energy/matter generated from a nuclear fission is diverted and crosses the physical/astral. With the diversion of some of the energy the result of the chain reaction isn't going to be as great. To the point that previous detonations capable of reaching critical mass, meaning a runaway chain reaction (i.e. explosion), may not reach this. The problem with the later is that normally this would become very, very noticable the calibration of things like geiger counters and all other matter of instruments that are based on measuring the results of atomic decay would be off. So it wouldn't be a simple bleeding off, but something that would require reaching a threshhold of activity locally before bleeding off the matter/energy into the astral.

But why would nuclear reactors do the opposite? Have reactions partially run away when they would normally be controled? Well a power plant meltdown typically actually a nuclear explosion. What normally happens heating steam to a pressure level that the vessles containing it cannot withstand and/or melting the physical components that normally contain the radioactive material. So they aren't reaching critical mass in the sense that a bomb does.

Quite obviously fusion operates on a very, very different fundemental mechanic so it not being affected is perfectly sensible. EDIT:In a relative way. cool.gif
Kyoto Kid
...however, this would also mean that a chain reaction would still be possible in a null magic area.
fistandantilus4.0
Wasn't Kasmirt (aka Kasmir Wastes) nuked as well? And there was some sort of incident in China IIRC, at a nuke lab there. I also know there was one in the novel Ragnarok, but I don't remember that one too clearly. Read it a long time ago. I don't think that one detonated, but they sure expected it to.

Obvisouly there's something different once the mana levels involved. Remember the Dunkelzhan bequest?
BrianL03
How big of an irradiated area, really, are Glow City and SOX? I'm considering making a similar section over here in Illinois, UCAS, close enough to pre-Bug City Chicago for potential runs, but far enough away that I potentially won't be dealing with prevailing winds.
Kagetenshi
The SOX is somewhat bigger than the Saarland, which is 2570 km^2.

~J
The Canterbury Tail
Thinking about it though, the nuclear detonation on Winternight's hideaway worked okay didn't it?
hobgoblin
nukes in SR work under the formula of P+L+O+T, not E=MC2...
Kyoto Kid
...guess I'll just have to make them work with the formula:

h + r <> SRc

where h represents house, r represents rule and SRc represents Shadowrun canon.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...however, this would also mean that a chain reaction would still be possible in a null magic area.

What entirely magic devoid zones are there? I believe canon is largely silent, and correct me if I'm wrong, on the ramificatons of targeting into or across the location of a mana warp form outside of it. No, the big problem with conscious magic is the near-omnipotence required.

The second of a natural breakthrough from physical to astral suffers from neither.
fistandantilus4.0
uhhh.... space? the fovae?
Kyoto Kid
...thank you.
blakkie
Entirely? Not to mention that fovae aren't exactly common. EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if there is any mention of them existing outside of Aztlan. There is no known testing of the theory by nuking Aztlan. wink.gif

And who gives a damn if a nuke goes off in far space?
fistandantilus4.0
Aztlan hasnt let anyone test the fovae, and IIRC, they were supposed to be some sort of result of blood magic. I think it was the DH trilogy that talked about how the temples were essentially for astral mapping, partly to help find the loci. As for nuking to test it, well there's a few cities maybe we could do without. biggrin.gif

As for nuking space .... Z-O, Daedalus, S-K moon base, the name of science? All "reasons" to set a nuke off. Wonder what that would do to the Earth below...?
blakkie
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Aztlan hasnt let anyone test the fovae, and IIRC, they were supposed to be some sort of result of blood magic. I think it was the DH trilogy that talked about how the temples were essentially for astral mapping, partly to help find the loci. As for nuking to test it, well there's a few cities maybe we could do without. biggrin.gif

As for nuking space .... Z-O, Daedalus, S-K moon base, the name of science? All "reasons" to set a nuke off.

You are aware that you could theoretically cast spells on the Z-O if you could survive the drain? I believe it has been postulated on this board that what's-his-name vampire with his Essense Focus could potentially pull it off.
Wonder what that would do to the Earth below...?

Totally lost in the background noise.
fistandantilus4.0
of course, and filtering makes it easier. I mentioned it because now space is described as a mana void, an absence of mana, rather than a mana warp as before.

Totally lost in the background noise.

That's kinda what I was thinking, since the ozone already blocks so much solar radiation. But what if it was say low Earth orbit? How far would the blast carry in space? Does it require oxygen to go nuclear? That sort of thing.
blakkie
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
of course, and filtering makes it easier. I mentioned it because now space is described as a mana void, an absence of mana, rather than a mana warp as before.

When did that change?
That's kinda what I was thinking, since the ozone already blocks so much solar radiation. But what if it was say low Earth orbit? How far would the blast carry in space? Does it require oxygen to go nuclear? That sort of thing.

Definately not for the fussion part. Nor the initiating explosive I would imagine. If the warhead was outside of the ICBM housing it might require, ironically, some specialized shielding from radiation protection for it's electronics. Other than that it would be good to go.

But still once you are that high it's not likely to amount to much. If it's inside

The ozone layer itself is really only about blocking UV, which is the least of the problems. The real reason the blast wouldn't be of much consiquence is by the time it reached anything we care about the radiation will become extremely disperse because area affected is the square of distance.
blakkie
Incidentally I would expect that not only is a nuclear device well beyond overkill for something like the Z-O, or possibily even the moonbase, I would see it as likely somewhat more vulnerable to countermeasures than some other methods. Such as extremely high velocity projectiles, basically a Thor Shot equivalent.
Frag-o Delux
I seem to remember reading somewhere the Soviets had a pna to set off a nuke high above the midwest of America. Their goal was to black out the US. I think they wanted to try and "sneak" a nuke over under the pretense it was a solo launch for a space mission, while giving lip service the nuke would go off, blacking out the US, then they would launch their full scale assualt on Europe and America.

So how much would an EMP do in LEO to the Earth and all the junl floating around it like Orbitals and Sats?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
I think they wanted to try and "sneak" a nuke over under the pretense it was a solo launch for a space mission, while giving lip service the nuke would go off, blacking out the US, then they would launch their full scale assualt on Europe and America.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they thought we wanted to do too.

One of the things we've learned since the end of the Cold War is that most of the higher-ups in both the US and USSR found it inconceivable that the opposition could seriously think they would strike first, and fervently believed that it was possible that said opposition would strike first.

Mmm, humanity.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Oct 11 2006, 08:17 PM)
I seem to remember reading somewhere the Soviets had a pna to set off a nuke high above the midwest of America. Their goal was to black out the US. I think they wanted to try and "sneak" a nuke over under the pretense it was a solo launch for a space mission, while giving lip service the nuke would go off, blacking out the US, then they would launch their full scale assualt on Europe and America.

I'm pretty sure that EMP effect actually occurs at a much lower altitude, around 20 miles up. Even though the detonation of the bomb is much higher atmosphere, but still inside the atmosphere envelope. Maybe with a big enough bang you could have that occur from an explosion in space proper? Not sure about that.

Incidentally the "Space" Shuttle actually orbits inside the atmosphere, near the bottom of LEO. LEO is usually given as a range from somthing like 250km to 2,000km. The atmosphere peters out around 600km or so.
Deamon_Knight
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Oct 11 2006, 09:17 PM)
I think they wanted to try and "sneak" a nuke over under the pretense it was a solo launch for a space mission, while giving lip service the nuke would go off, blacking out the US, then they would launch their full scale assualt on Europe and America.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they thought we wanted to do too.

One of the things we've learned since the end of the Cold War is that most of the higher-ups in both the US and USSR found it inconceivable that the opposition could seriously think they would strike first, and fervently believed that it was possible that said opposition would strike first.

Mmm, humanity.

~J

Not to mention that the Soviets thought that we Americans were lying through our teeth about the extent of our nuke arsenal, (just as they were), where we took them somewhat seriously and assumed we were missing 9/10th of their weapons somehow.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Oct 11 2006, 08:17 PM)

I'm pretty sure that EMP effect actually occurs at a much lower altitude, around 20 miles up. Even though the detonation of the bomb is much higher atmosphere, but still inside the atmosphere envelope. Maybe with a big enough bang you could have that occur from an explosion in space proper? Not sure about that.

Incidentally the "Space" Shuttle actually orbits inside the atmosphere, near the bottom of LEO. LEO is usually given as a range from somthing like 250km to 2,000km. The atmosphere peters out around 600km or so.

The altitude number I seem to remember was 75 miles, but that seemed off to me. Faulty memories and all. And I believe thay spefically said over Kansas.

And supposedly the Soviets had a couple other nuke ideas. One involved artificial islands anchored in international waters off the coast of America filled with nuke missiles. And the lovely Doomsday ship. Supposedly it was a ship filled with tons of radioactive waste and wired to blow up if the radiation levels in the area got to a certain level. Their supposed theory was if America nuked them first and they were wipped out the radiation levels in the atmosphere would set off this Doom ship and put so much radioactive waste in the air everyone would die from poisoning.

AMerica had as many silly nuke weapons also. Like atomic annie. An artillery gun that fired nuke projctiles, and rumored nuclear short range rockets.
hyzmarca
Don't forget Davey Crocket the nuclear bazooka (featured in Metal Gear Solid 3, actually) and SADM man portable nuclear timebomb (both the SADM and the Davey Crocket use the Mk-54 warhead which has a ver low yeild) as well as the W54 warhead for the AIM-26 Falcon air-to-air missles with a 250ton yield.

Actually, the Davey Crocket and the SADM are both reasonable considering their roles. While the manportable nuclear devices sound scary they really aren't any more powerful than a bomber loaded with 20 conventional bombs. The greatest advantage of the Davey Crocket was that it allowed small crews to effectivly neutralize large troop formations and the radiation was effective area denial for about 48 hours. Contrary to popular belief it was realitivly safe to use, although an inept or desperate crew could kill themselves with it, that is true for any explosive.
Ryu
And always remember the nuclear grenade you swiped. USAGE RESTRICTED TO SECTOR "OUTSIDE"! Do not destroy property of friend computer!
The Canterbury Tail
QUOTE (Ryu)
And always remember the nuclear grenade you swiped. USAGE RESTRICTED TO SECTOR "OUTSIDE"! Do not destroy property of friend computer!

Ah yes. Throw range, 50 meters. Blast range, 5 miles.
Austere Emancipator
The EMP on the ground from a nuclear device detonated high in the athmosphere is least powerful when the height is between 20km and 40km. Beyond that it becomes more powerful again until you get somewhere between 80km and 100km, after which the kVs and As per meter become lower again while the area of effect widens. At least as high as 400km you'd still be able to fry almost every TV set in continental Europe.

Not a very good idea to use them on anything inside the athmosphere, certainly, even though it'd look damn cool with the artificial aurora and everything. Better go with kinetic kill missiles unless the target's at least a few thousand klicks up.
Crusher Bob
When you set a nuke off in the atmosphere, a lot of the nuke's energy is spent puching the air around (turning it into a fireball). If you set the nuke off in a vacuum, you mostly just get radiation with little/no actual blast effects (e.g. more of an EMP effect). In addition, setting the nuke off at a high altitude means that your effective horizon is much further away, allowing you to blanket more of the earth's surface. It dosen't take much induced current to destroy non-hardened electronics. Sure it won't do much to hardened electronics, but all the civilian infrastructure would have been really messed up.

Targeting the US, a detonating a device at high altitude (400-500km) will cover the whole continental United States.
blakkie
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Targeting the US, a detonating a device at high altitude (400-500km) will cover the whole continental United States.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)

And supposedly the Soviets had a couple other nuke ideas. One involved artificial islands anchored in international waters off the coast of America filled with nuke missiles. And the lovely Doomsday ship. Supposedly it was a ship filled with tons of radioactive waste and wired to blow up if the radiation levels in the area got to a certain level. Their supposed theory was if America nuked them first and they were wipped out the radiation levels in the atmosphere would set off this Doom ship and put so much radioactive waste in the air everyone would die from poisoning.

..."But what good is a doomsday device if you keep it a secret, eh?"

-Dr. Strangelove
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
America had as many silly nuke weapons also. Like atomic annie. An artillery gun that fired nuke projctiles, and rumored nuclear short range rockets.

...I actually saw footage of Annie being fired back in the days when we still did above ground testing. Pretty damn scary at the time.

Source - Paul Jacobs and the Nuclear Gang

Excellent documentary that dealt with the effects of the early above ground tests on troops who were basically there as human Guinea Pigs.

What was even scarier was the clip from an Army training film where a chaplain was attempting to calm a young GI who was about to take part in bomb test by using religious metaphors to describe what the blast would be like.

Everybody, Duck & Cover...
mfb
i'd like everyone to read this before continuing any discussion on battlefield nukes.
knasser

I don't know a great deal about nuclear weapons, but I'm not overly convinced about people on a role-playing forum confidently talking about what the effect will or will not be in various circumstances without referencing anything authoratitive or listing their Phd in military science.

Most of my knowledge of nuclear weapons consists of reading accounts of Hiroshima which was more than enough, but I've done some googling and found the following:

The electromagnetic pulse generated by the detonation of a single nuclear weapon at high altitudes can be a threat to military systems located as much as a thousand miles away. HEMP can disable communications systems and even power grids at enormous distances from the burst. This type of threat could be used by a third world country that has the capability to launch a rocket carrying a high-yield device (about 1 megaton or more) a few hundred kilometers into the upper atmosphere and a few thousand kilometers from its own territory (to avoid damaging its own systems).

This comes from here in the nuclear section of the Federation of American Scientists website. I've no idea how good or bad they are, but it seems like at least some people think the EMP effect of even a small nuclear weapon detonated in the atmosphere could be quite serious.

There's probably more interesting information on the effect of high-altitude detonations here which as well as supporting the notion of a widepsread EMP being a serious problem, adds a prediction that it would pump the Van Allen belt full of electrons which would linger for up to a year severely damaging unhardened satellites.

All in all, it sounds like anyone possessing even one smallish nuclear weapon with the capability of getting it a couple of hundred miles up, could wreak incredible havoc across a wide area.
Austere Emancipator
Puolustusvoimien koulutuksen kehittämiskeskus: Suojelun Käsikirja, 1996
...which lists the following sources applicable to the EMP effects in particular:
Jorma Virtamo: Ydinräjähdyksen vaikutukset, Maanpuolustuksen tieteellinen neuvottelukunta, report series 1/A/76
Samuel Glasstone and Philip J Dolan: The Effects of Nuclear Weapons, U.S. Department of Defence and Energy Research and Development Administration, 1977
Charles S Grace: Nuclear Weapons. Principles, Effects and Survivability, Brassey's volume 10, Brassey's, London 1994

The manual is available in PDF form here (23.7Mb) -- Finnish only, so not much use for anyone else here. It includes graphs of the V/m and Gauss values of the electric and magnetic fields at detonation altitudes from 0 to 100km, expected Amps per meter, Joules per square meter and frequencies. It also lists what kind energy spikes are enough to fry various circuits, lines, etc. These, along with an image of the area of effect of the EMP at 100km and 400km detonation heights over Europe, are what the "fry almost every TV set in continental Europe" statement was based on.

US Army field manuals handling the same field (NBC weapons) can be found here (the 3-3 through 3-13 series). There's plenty more nuke-related stuff under the WMD section of GlobalSecurity.org.
knasser
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 14 2006, 08:54 AM)
Puolustusvoimien koulutuksen kehittämiskeskus: Suojelun Käsikirja, 1996
...which lists the following sources applicable to the EMP effects in particular:
Jorma Virtamo: Ydinräjähdyksen vaikutukset, Maanpuolustuksen tieteellinen neuvottelukunta, report series 1/A/76
Samuel Glasstone and Philip J Dolan: The Effects of Nuclear Weapons, U.S. Department of Defence and Energy Research and Development Administration, 1977
Charles S Grace: Nuclear Weapons. Principles, Effects and Survivability, Brassey's volume 10, Brassey's, London 1994

The manual is available in PDF form here (23.7Mb) -- Finnish only, so not much use for anyone else here. It includes graphs of the V/m and Gauss values of the electric and magnetic fields at detonation altitudes from 0 to 100km, expected Amps per meter, Joules per square meter and frequencies. It also lists what kind energy spikes are enough to fry various circuits, lines, etc. These, along with an image of the area of effect of the EMP at 100km and 400km detonation heights over Europe, are what the "fry almost every TV set in continental Europe" statement was based on.

US Army field manuals handling the same field (NBC weapons) can be found here (the 3-3 through 3-13 series). There's plenty more nuke-related stuff under the WMD section of GlobalSecurity.org.

Ah, I see you took my request for people to back up their comments... seriously. smile.gif

Actually, I was more directing it at those who were casually dismissing the effect of high-altitude nuclear detonations, but it's always good to have a few references listed. Your reference is 23MB whereas mine were about 5KB. So I guess you win. wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I was wondering about this with the Winternight nukes. Was the area effected appropriate? Weren't they supposed to have a higher output because of the 'magical augmentation'? Or was this more punch than distance, so that the EMP's could fry hardened systems and not just kill everyone's cell phones?

Was there a reason they weren't detonated higher? Or is it just that they couldn't get them that high?
hobgoblin
dont try to apply to much logic to those nukes.
its a example of a writer going "wee, cool!" about something...
Synner
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 14 2006, 07:21 PM)
dont try to apply to much logic to those nukes.
its a example of a writer going "wee, cool!" about something...

Actually no.

The ranges of the Winternight nuclear devices were appropriate to the kilotonnage (that has to do with using low-yield tactical/suitcase micronukes, rather than the warheads in the original Threats which Winternight deployed at the fault lines), as were the effects of low-altitude airbursts in terms of basic EMP, irradiation and fallout (or lack thereof thanks). Ranges of ground-effect shockwaves were only reduced in about 25% (and attributed to a direct magical conversion of energy to the electromagnetic pulse).

As far as I'm concerned I could have written them without the magic factor and their effects would be largely unchanged. The magic element was just a throwback continuity reference to the Winternight material as originally printed in Threats and has little to no impact in the way things playout. In game terms it translated to a higher than appropriate EM output for the size of the device involved and that's it.

For the record, the fault-line nukes so many people have problems with, are extrapolated from real life studies on tectonic "resonance triggers" conducted by the US and USSR (the latter actually had several different research programs on seismic inducing weaponry including non-nuclear means) during the 1970 thru 80s, and are one of the reasons tectonic weapons are specifically cited in several international weapon limitation accords, several USSR Cold War documents published by Pravda and later Der Speigel, at least one bill put forward by the US Congress, and were directly referenced by a former US Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen at a NATO conference - if the research wasn't particularly credible and the results uninspiring that's probably not going to deter wacko Asartu cultists bent on world destruction to release the Gods from their lethargy and stupor and ignite Ragnarok... especially not when they've got Fate and Prophecy on their side.
Butterblume
I just love that kind of insider information wink.gif.
hobgoblin
sorry synner, i keep forgetting who works on the recent books, and therefor the larger likelyhood that the content is closer (or equal) to reality.
Toptomcat
Okay, so it's pretty clear there's something wrong with the way fission explosives work in the Sixth World.
Since there's obviously no problem with fusion, since that's basically the main source of power in the SR universe, would H-bombs still work as planned, or do they all require a fission device to trigger?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012