Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nuclear Explosions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Moon-Hawk
AFAIK all modern fusion bombs require a fission device to trigger. Of course, it is possible that in SR4, since they've got fusion a lot more figured out than we do, that a fission detonator is no longer necessary.
Although somehow it seems to me that a fusion reaction will always need something on the order of fission to get jump-started.
Austere Emancipator
Yep. All existing nuclear warheads with fusion fuel require a fission device to start the fusion reaction -- here's an example of such a warhead design.

I'd have to agree with Moon-Hawk that something on the order of fission would be needed to start the fusion reaction. Seeing as how there has apparently not been any extensive research into fusion warheads that do not require a fission device as well, even though those are extremely expensive to manufacture and maintain, it doesn't seem likely that alternatives will pop up any time soon. On the other hand, plenty of unlikely things have obviously occurred in the SR world.
Toptomcat
So that level of reaserch will occur only if world governments become aware that something's wrong with fission.
Interesting.
Austere Emancipator
There can't be anything systematically wrong with fission, considering that there must be hundreds of fission power plants, not to mention dozens or hundreds of fission powered ships, operational around the world at least up to the 2060s which have apparently not experienced any trouble.
hobgoblin
so its more the blast potential in fission thats strange in SR then the heat potential of fission wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
Just in case someone doesn't know, no such distinction exists IRL.
hobgoblin
oops your right, a blast is just a very quick buildup of heat nyahnyah.gif
silly me.

so to redo the point of the post:

there is something limiting the speed of combustion, while not limiting the max energy output?

and therefor its not noticed in nuclear power plants because they start the fission prosess up to slow for the change to show up on their instruments. but if they where to take a nuke out to the desert and set it off, their predictions and the outcome would not match.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
there is something limiting the speed of combustion, while not limiting the max energy output?

Like what, every third neutron escaping into the astral plane? Doesn't work, that'd limit energy output just the same.

Such a thing would still have had equal effects for power plants. Every one would've been taken offline when that started happening, and I expect the sudden crippling of a large part of the world's industry, and of all major navies, would be mentioned somewhere in the SR history.

Unless you're saying it's the massive heat and overpressure which causes whole atom nucleii to pop over to the astral, thus preventing the fission fuel mass from going critical. This would be easy to check up on -- there would be a several-kg clump of "plutonium" on the astral at every site of a nuclear detonation.
Moon-Hawk
I may be way off on this, but I believe that energy is being released at a MUCH higher rate in an a-bomb than in a fission reactor, yes? Well, maybe when that rate rises above a certain threshold, then some of the released energy seeps over to the astral plane. Perhaps?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
oops your right, a blast is just a very quick buildup of heat nyahnyah.gif
silly me.

Nope. A blast is a pressure wave. It just so happens that most of the easy ways to generate one involve a quick buildup of concentrated heat, but you can generate a blast with a giant speaker if you want. Austere's point that no such distinction exists was wrong, but in the kind of way that doesn't matter.

~J
Austere Emancipator
I did not claim there is no distinction between blast and heat. What was being discussed was the "blast potential" and "heat potential" of fission, and such a distinction does not exist.

I think my problem re: magic messing with nuclear reactions is simply that I find it a bit silly that the simple existence of magic would have predictable, measurable, observable effects on the physical world. I can't bend my mind around "energy leaking into the astral" -- what does that even mean? It's not like there is any actual matter/energy on the astral plane. Would that allow us to develop directed energy weapons capable of disrupting the astral plane? A particle accelerator capable of instantly creating level 10 Astral Warps?
Kagetenshi
"Misleading", then. Either way, the reason I didn't correct you last night was that I was pretty sure that you knew what you meant, even if it wasn't coming across entirely.

That and the fact that my internet connection doesn't want to connect me to the internet these days.

~J
Austere Emancipator
Hardly my fault if what goes on between the soft X-rays and the surrounding matter and then inside and on the outer surface of the resulting fireball "misleads" people.
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 17 2006, 10:34 AM)
I did not claim there is no distinction between blast and heat. What was being discussed was the "blast potential" and "heat potential" of fission, and such a distinction does not exist.

I think my problem re: magic messing with nuclear reactions is simply that I find it a bit silly that the simple existence of magic would have predictable, measurable, observable effects on the physical world.

That is why I was suggesting some sort effect like a reverse diode where the reverse current is effectively nill (either truely zero, or close enough for the measurement techniques feasibily available....and talked about).
I can't bend my mind around "energy leaking into the astral" -- what does that even mean?

I don't know, let's stop by MIT&T to ask them. biggrin.gif Since Physical spells seem to 'leak' from the astral to the physical.
It's not like there is any actual matter/energy on the astral plane.

But there is mana, which appears to be able to be converted into energy.
Would that allow us to develop directed energy weapons capable of disrupting the astral plane? A particle accelerator capable of instantly creating level 10 Astral Warps?

Potentially. Which is why any magical creature would want such things very hush, hush. You know, like great dragons?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (blakkie)

I do not prescribe to that school of thinking on magic. "Mana is just a different kind of potential energy" is a bit too boring for me.

QUOTE (blakkie)
Potentially.

Well, NIMG. As always, you are free to do as you please in yours.
eidolon
I have to say, regardless of the concept it's trying to put across, seeing the word "mana" in any kind of connection to SR makes me cringe. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 17 2006, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie)

I do not prescribe to that school of thinking on magic. "Mana is just a different kind of potential energy" is a bit too boring for me.

When a Physical spell is cast typically a huge amount of energy is coming from somewhere, thus a conversion/transportation has occured and the potential for heading in reverse is there. Even if the energy is coming from nowhere that means the 2nd law his busted, a law that our understanding of the physics of nuclear fussion are built upon.
QUOTE (blakkie)
Potentially.

Well, NIMG. As always, you are free to do as you please in yours.

question.gif I thought we were talking about canon, not your game or my game. Hell I've never had a nuke show up in my game. wobble.gif
Austere Emancipator
A fireball spell doesn't bust any physical laws in my games, it simply requires the addition of a disclaimer: "Except when magic's involved." I prefer my magic as unscientific as possible.

QUOTE (blakkie)
I thought we were talking about canon, not your game or my game.

I'm saying pre-emptively that I don't care what canon says about that, it's never going to happen in my games. But, now that you mentioned it, could you provide some reasons to believe such things would be possible in canon?
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
A fireball spell doesn't bust any physical laws in my games, it simply requires the addition of a disclaimer: "Except when magic's involved." I prefer my magic as unscientific as possible.

Therefore there isn't a problem with nuclear bombs getting muted while nuclear reactors do not. Because you've already thrown out the conservation of energy you've basically thrown out physical law as we conceive it. (Oops sorry, that's the first law of thermodynamics). When the chain reaction of fussion gets going fast enough magic gets "involved". *shrug*
QUOTE (blakkie)
I thought we were talking about canon, not your game or my game.

I'm saying pre-emptively that I don't care what canon says about that, it's never going to happen in my games. But, now that you mentioned it, could you provide some reasons to believe such things would be possible in canon?

As outlined above it is a potential solution that seems to more-or-less fit canon, especially given the description of the Cermek Blast that suggests there may have been a shunting off into the astral.
hobgoblin
that blast was contained by (and interacted with) a ritualy cast physical barrier...
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
that blast was contained by (and interacted with) a ritualy cast physical barrier...

Yes, there was a lot of wierd stuff going on. But it was my understanding that even taking the physical barrier into account the yield was still lower than expected, and the effect of the explosion also seemed to have crossed the physical/astral barrier.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (blakkie)
Therefore there isn't a problem with nuclear bombs getting muted while nuclear reactors do not.

No problem with it, nor any reason to believe that actually happens.

QUOTE (blakkie)
But it was my understanding that even taking the physical barrier into account the yield was still lower than expected, and the effect of the explosion also seemed to have crossed the physical/astral barrier.

Couldn't find any confirmation for that. All references I can find just mention the barrier as an explanation to why the blast was somewhat contained. No mention of any "oomph" leaking over to the astral -- there just happens to be a mana warp over there because of all the mojo that was going on at the site at the time of the detonation, plus the basic background count you apparently get from nuclear warheads because they destroy nature (or something).

Any particular reason why the Atomagic section at The Ancienc Files has been removed?
blakkie
QUOTE (blakkie)
Therefore there isn't a problem with nuclear bombs getting muted while nuclear reactors do not.

No problem with it, nor any reason to believe that actually happens.

In your campaign. nyahnyah.gif In canon it does. Just for example about the middle the Fault-line Nukes section on page 82 of System Failure there are two more nukes that release less than expected yields.
Any particular reason why the Atomagic section at The Ancienc Files has been removed?

Curious. He might be updating it. Or *cue X-Files music* Rob "Smokingman" Boyd has gotten to him since he has started freelancing for Fanpro.
Austere Emancipator
It's still there, it's just not linked on his index. Forgotten in an update, or perhaps I just missed something.
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Likewise, the numerous meltdowns of nuclear plants and failure of nuclear warheads to detonate is suspected by some to be a side-effect of the Awakening changing nuclear reactions in some way, but nothing has been proven.
I very much agree with his views on why nuclear weapons, and intense radiation in general, affect the astral as well.

QUOTE (blakkie)
Just for example about the middle the Fault-line Nukes section on page 82 of System Failure there are two more nukes that release less than expected yields.

I don't own any SR4-related literature -- I'm assuming those are separate from the nukes mentioned by Synner above, the effects of which he describes as having been in no way mitigated by factors like those you are suggesting.

It seems these are the only example, the others being explained by incorrect pre-launch procedures (such as the Lone Eagle, apparently), direct magical interference (Cermak, the Winternight blasts mentioned by Synner above), etc. What else do we know about the specifics of the fault-line explosions? Is there any mention in the book of just how much smaller the yields were than predicted, and/or any speculation why?
blakkie
System Failure is SR3. The very last SR3 book released..........outside of the still pending PDF release of Shadows of Latin America, gggrrrrrrrr. mad.gif
Austere Emancipator
Its purpose is largely to set up the world for SR4, so I've personally filed it under "SR4-related". smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie)
System Failure is SR3.

He said he didn't own any SR4-related literature. System Failure may have been published in 3rd Edition, but it is related to SR4 in ways that no other book is.

~J
Frag-o Delux
Nukes do work. Just in the Shadows of Asia book, Kashmir had 3 tactical nukes turn that place into a glowing wonder land. An earthquake in China detonated several nukes in a stockpile bunker depriving China of a portion of its nuclear arsenal. Israel used a few tacticals as well, suitcase bombs some say, planting them in middle eastern capitals.

The Lone Eagle incident was already admitted to being a sabotaged missile and the Cermark blast is just flakey. As for the Winternight nukes, I already said what I think about that particular bit of writting.

Other then the plants melting down during all the world changing history of the SR universe, nukes have pretty much worked the way they should, unless Im missing something else, which I might be, I havent finished the SoA book.

It just goes to prove as had already been said, nukes in SR = PLOT not E=MC2

EDIT: Ok, I did just find that North Korea launched a bunch of nukes themselves adn none of those detonated. No numbers on how many were launched. But it still shows its only plot that determines detonation, not actual rules. Also those nukes were launched in 2005, 7 years before the awakening.
Domino
QUOTE (Domino)
its called suspension of disbelief, Hello I am a world superpower with a shit load of nukes and a couple for shits and giggles that is about to lose 2/3 of my territory so these asshat game designers needed a way that I wouldnt use them to make the red skinned devils victory extremly pyhrric
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 17 2006, 03:01 PM)
Its purpose is largely to set up the world for SR4, so I've personally filed it under "SR4-related". smile.gif

Ummm, well it uses SR3 rules, it is the culmination of a number of SR3 plots, and the biggest indicator IMO is that SL James not only read it but is playing a campaign using it. wink.gif
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Nukes do work. Just in the Shadows of Asia book, Kashmir had 3 tactical nukes turn that place into a glowing wonder land.

That didn't situation didn't exactly go off glitch either. :^)
As for the Winternight nukes, I already said what I think about that particular bit of writting.

I'm not talking about the EMP bombs, these were the conventional ones.
But it still shows its only plot that determines detonation, not actual rules. Also those nukes were launched in 2005, 7 years before the awakening.
Plot, or successfully predicting the RL poor quality control by NK? smile.gif

Now all of these incidents could each have different reasons behind them. It still remains open exactly what is going on. I wonder what those old design notes that someone got from the old FASA office is Chicago have to say out what they had in mind with Cermak and nukes in general? That'd be cool to read through. I forget now the name of the DSer that has those, has anyone been in touch with him?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/products/product.php?i=25014)
System Failure is set in 2064, and exposes the events that lead to the technology changes that paved the way for Shadowrun, Fourth Edition.

QUOTE (blakkie)
Now all of these incidents could each have different reasons behind them. It still remains open exactly what is going on.

Nuclear warheads are exceedingly complex and finicky devices. I know which way I'd shave with my Occam'sİ. smile.gif
Domino
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 17 2006, 06:09 PM)
Nuclear warheads are exceedingly complex and finicky devices. I know which way I'd shave with my Occam'sİ. smile.gif

Though not as complex as the magical thinking box in front of you which seems to work fine for me, and for the love of Ralph stop bringing RL into this.

100 DS bucks for the person who correctly identifies the Ralph reference.
blakkie
QUOTE (http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/products/product.php?i=25014)
System Failure is set in 2064, and exposes the events that lead to the technology changes that paved the way for Shadowrun, Fourth Edition.

LOL, you are like the family of a friend of mine that refuse to do things like get a therapeutic massage or eat chop suey because they think those ties to oriental culture are a fast path to the occult and would put their mortal christian souls in jepordy. I don't mean a specific type of massage either, just any type.

Nevermind that the book is 3rd edition front to back, using 3rd edition tech and rules and stories (except for the 2nd edition one from Threats that is provided as a free PDF converted to 3rd edition rules), and that it was largely written by people without their knowledge of 4th edition's existance. silly.gif notworthy.gif
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Nukes do work. Just in the Shadows of Asia book, Kashmir had 3 tactical nukes turn that place into a glowing wonder land.

I am assuming that should have been "That situation didn't exactly go off glitch either. :^)"

Um, I read, then looked up and reread the passage about that section. I dont think they made any distinction about wether they went off as planned or not. It just says 3 tacts came over the moutains and went off.

I would like to see what the earlier devs thought when they were designing a lot of SR stuff. But so far it only points to plot rather then magic. The nukes go off when the story calls for it, they dont when the story has called for it, and the same with power plants with no rhyme or reason. Too me at least. Theres no problem with that, I suppose.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (blakkie)
LOL, you are like the family of a friend of mine that refuse to do things like get a therapeutic massage or eat chop suey because they think those ties to oriental culture are a fast path to the occult and would put their mortal christian souls in jepordy. I don't mean a specific type of massage either, just any type.

Fine. You find it offensive to think a book that sets the stage for SR4 is in any way related to SR4, and think that is equivalent to hardcore religious fundamentalism. Now go flame someone else, kthx.

QUOTE (Domino)
Though not as complex as the the magical thinking box in front of you which seems to work fine for me, and for the love of Ralph stop bringing RL into this.

Oh it's a hell of a lot more finicky, and far less well understood than a computer. Computers don't vaporize the whole block (and irradiate the crew of a fishing boat a hundred miles off) because there were some minor impurities in the heat sink material.

Ignoring RL works for some, others like verisimilitude. If you don't want reality-based logic with your nukes, you can always not read threads like these.
Domino

Oh it's a hell of a lot more finicky, and far less well understood than a computer. Computers don't vaporize the whole block (and irradiate the crew of a fishing boat a hundred miles off) because there were some minor impurities in the heat sink material.

Yup sure are finicky of the 3 that the US made in 1945 all 3 of em went off. That is indeed a horrible record.

Ignoring RL works for some, others like verisimilitude. If you don't want reality-based logic with your nukes, you can always not read threads like these.

And this is a discussion of nukes in a magical 6th world so RL is a tad hard to really deal with in this situation.
blakkie
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 17 2006, 05:00 PM)

I am assuming that should have been "That situation didn't exactly go off glitch either. :^)"

"That situation didn't exactly go off without a glitch either. :^)"

Um, I read, then looked up and reread the passage about that section. I dont think they made any distinction about wether they went off as planned or not. It just says 3 tacts came over the moutains and went off.

It's broken up in the book. That's a quirk of the bits and pieces of info format SR uses.

Oh sure it's all "plot". As Domino keeps franticly yelling as he jumps up and down. It's all contrived. Which actually opens up the posibilities even further. smile.gif
Domino
QUOTE (blakkie)
As Domino keeps franticly yelling as he jumps up and down.

I have not at any point in this left me seat and I expect a full retraction of your spurious statement impeaching my honor.
blakkie
QUOTE (Domino @ Oct 17 2006, 04:43 PM)
And this is a discussion of nukes in a magical 6th world so RL is a tad hard to really deal with in this situation.

You are talking to the wrong guy about that. It's a good day when I can get Austere Emancipator to acknowledge the existance of a weapon in the SR equipment list. rotfl.gif

I have not at any point in this left me seat and I expect a full retraction of your spurious statement impeaching my honor.

Really? I kept picturing you as Horshack with your arm up in the air going "OH! OH! OH!" wink.gif Well then duely retracted to protect whatever honour you began this with. cyber.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Domino)
Yup sure are finicky of the 3 that the US made in 1945 all 3 of em went off. That is indeed a horrible record.

I would suggest checking out the differences between the internal design of the Little Boy, or indeed the Trinity test shot and Fat Man, and modern thermonuclear warheads like the W88.

The specifications of a W88 warhead are extremely particular and exacting, and for one to go off as designed, a huge amount of care, precision and attentive effort is required in preparation. I'm not a native speaker of English, but to me that sounds like they're finicky.

QUOTE (Domino)

Logic is often hard to deal with without bringing in the real world. Sure you can begin the discussion by wiping the slate clean and making zero assumptions about the operating principles of nuclear weapons in the SR world, but I don't think that pleases everyone.
Frag-o Delux
Well that other passage is a bit confusing because in the Kashmire section it says 3 tactical nukes detonated, nothing about a glitch. Then the Pakistan section says 2 of the 4 missiles launched detonated over the launch site. It doesnt say the nukes malfunctioned, just the missiles. Which could have spread the radiactive material all over. So, so far there is no indication that the nukes didnt work as planned.
blakkie
Umm, missles don't "detontate".
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (blakkie)

Sure they detonate, but you are right, they used the phrase "exploded at launch."

But Im so glad you decided to nitpick the word detonate rather then add some thing to the conversation.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie)

Enlighten me, then, what do they do?

~J
mfb
blakkie is probably referring to the fact that 'detonate' is most often used to indicate an on-purpose explosion, while the Pakistan section, i believe it says that the missiles themselves (not their nuclear payloads) exploded due to malfunction.

of course, the word choice is a moot point. detonate, explode, they blew the fuck up. i vote that we drop blakkie's tangent and get on with the main discussion.

it doesn't seem to me like there's any general force that prevents nukes from going often--it's much more likely, in my opinion, that there is an entity or entities who are consciously working, most likely via magic, to prevent the successful use of nukes.
Kagetenshi
I vote against it. If blakkie is going to claim that missiles don't undergo supersonic combustion, I would definitely like to hear his explanation, as in the event that he's actually correct it would be correcting a sizable misunderstanding on my part.

If he really was saying what you think, then I'm content in the fact that it's been demonstrated that he's using the wrong word.

~J
mfb
i admit that my choice was biased by the fact that i'd rather not discuss anything with blakkie. if you've got a stronger stomach than me, then by all means, proceed.
Kagetenshi
I try to avoid it too, but this is a win-win for me. Either he says something even more stupid, or (not that I think it's likely) he actually turns out to be right and I learn something.

Of course, it probably isn't going to turn out as well as I'm hoping, but at 2:15 AM my judgement is a little cloudy.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 17 2006, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 17 2006, 11:37 PM)

Enlighten me, then, what do they do?

~J

The payload detonates. nyahnyah.gif

EDIT: But yes, it's pretty much an aside.
mfb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012