Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nuclear Explosions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
Ok, minor semantic issue. Back to topic.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 17 2006, 11:48 PM)
it doesn't seem to me like there's any general force that prevents nukes from going often--it's much more likely, in my opinion, that there is an entity or entities who are consciously working, most likely via magic, to prevent the successful use of nukes.

Curiously enough the first paragraph of my first post in this thread.
QUOTE (me @ before things got badly derailed)
I've gotten the vague impression that what is affecting nuclear devices might actually be a conscious magical effort. Likely meaning dragon. Potentially Lowfyr and if not definately with Lowfyr's knowledge or partial knowledge.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 18 2006, 12:48 AM)

~J

Ya, pretty much. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it as, like mfb pointed out, it's more about common usage.
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
Curiously enough the first paragraph of my first post in this thread.

same idea, different execution. i can't imagine anyone, even Lofwyr, successfully casting a Suppress Thermonuclear Kaboom (Globe) spell. i'm thinking, specifically, of divination-directed surgical operations that neuter nukes which are about to be used. this would explain why some nukes simply fail to go off, while others have their missiles detonated exploded under them on the launch pad, and yet others go off but have reduced effectiveness.
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 18 2006, 04:56 PM)
i'm thinking, specifically, of divination-directed surgical operations that neuter nukes which are about to be used. this would explain why some nukes simply fail to go off, while others have their missiles detonated exploded under them on the launch pad, and yet others go off but have reduced effectiveness.

You mean something along the lines of Twist's Ghost Dance?
mfb
haven't read that one yet.
Fortune
Third book in the Secrets of Power series, Find Your Own Truth, by Robert Charrette. In essence, it deals with negating nukes via magical ritual.
mfb
i can't--or, at least, i don't want to--imagine that working on a global, permanent (or even semi-permanent) scale. performing that ritual in a location that a nuke is divined to strike, at the time it's divined to strike? sure. sustaining that sort of effect on the entire planet? i don't think anyone has that sort of power available--and if they did, i don't think they'd be able to keep it hidden.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Fortune)
Third book in the Secrets of Power series, Find Your Own Truth, by Robert Charrette. In essence, it deals with negating nukes via magical ritual.

Aren't there canon examples of nukes behaving oddly in SR history prior to the events of Find Your Own Truth?
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 18 2006, 01:12 AM)
performing that ritual in a location that a nuke is divined to strike, at the time it's divined to strike? sure.

Yeah, having a worldwide all the time suppression would be some sort of stupid power. But I'm not sure I would so quickly dismiss such an entity's ability to hide it given the entirely inane, godlike power already implied.

So what you are suggesting there is what I came to the conclusion of, but didn't spell out explicitly, which lead me to say this:
No, the big problem with conscious magic is the near-omnipotence required.

But I suppose in retrospect Lowfyr's access to knowledge of the future via mundane intel and magical divination is pretty damn good and borders on near-omnipotence. *shrug*

P.S. That's also why my pet theory about what Winternight did with those EMP nukes is that the mojo part was largely aimed at thwarting detection and divination and the technical alterations were the majority of what enhanced the EM pulse. Even though the later is quite the stretch AFAIK.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 18 2006, 01:48 AM)

~J

I was on topic, and no its not just semantics. It was a retarded post. Missiles have and will always detonate, and not just their payload. The fuel can explode thus the missile has detonated.
Fortune
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Aren't there canon examples of nukes behaving oddly in SR history prior to the events of Find Your Own Truth?

I'm sure there are. I was just pointing out the book because it could be considered somewhat relevant to the topic at hand.
Warmaster Lah
My Question....

Astrally Projecting Magician. Ground-zero.

Nuke detonates.

What are the effects on the astral at GZ? What are the effects on the Magician?

? ? ? ?

Austere Emancipator
Depends on how and where the blast occurs. Presumably if the detonation causes relatively limited death and destruction of nature, such as an airburst over a desert, you are only going to get a level 6 mana warp -- which (in SR3) causes 6L damage to astral forms per CT and other effects as per MitS pp. 85-86 -- or perhaps even just a level 5 background count. On the other hand, if this happens over a jungle or a large city, you might be hit with a level 9 or even 10 mana warp. The Cermak blast caused a level 7 mana warp.

Since the massive radiation and the heat and overpressure envelop such a large area almost instantaneously, that mana warp would probably form before a projecting mage has time to escape. Still, only a level 10 mana warp is potentially capable of killing an otherwise unharmed projecting mage instantaneously, allowing the mage to get the hell out of any weaker warp during the first CT. Still, I can't imagine it being a pleasant experience.
blakkie
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Oct 18 2006, 01:52 AM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 18 2006, 01:48 AM)

~J

I was on topic, and no its not just semantics. It was a retarded post. Missiles have and will always detonate, and not just their payload. The fuel can explode thus the missile has detonated.

Strange, everyone else just moved on after it was all cleared up....while you continue to argue about http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/semantics and how semantics aren't semantics. nyahnyah.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 18 2006, 08:26 AM)
Since the massive radiation and the heat and overpressure envelop such a large area almost instantaneously, that mana warp would probably form before a projecting mage has time to escape. Still, only a level 10 mana warp is potentially capable of killing an otherwise unharmed projecting mage instantaneously, allowing the mage to get the hell out of any weaker warp during the first CT. Still, I can't imagine it being a pleasant experience.

I'd expect the experience to be like a Speedball on LSD. scatter.gif Also there is the question of being in the area as the alteration of whatever as it happens which might bring into play an effect beyond the lasting warp into effect. Because the warp is still there after the blastwave passes. But there is nothing linking he blastwave. All conjecture though since the only thing I know of that's ever been known to be on the astral at ground zero were a pack of bug spirits and that's not the greatest baseline to work from or gather info about.

Strangely enough they didn't put anything in SF about it, and that's partially an adventure book that has got a few plots that could easily place a character's astral form in harm's way. They've got a whole table set out for damage to electronic equipment, but nothing astral. Wonder if the author(s) wrote that up but it got cut for length. *he says out loud to nobody in particular* *cough*
Kagetenshi
It actually is semantics, but more importantly semantics are the important part. Seriously, semantics == meaning. "Oh, we're just arguing about what the words mean." If there's no attempt to reach agreement on that, why bother to have the words in the first place?

That said, it's still a minor semantic issue because in this case the issue is the question of whether it is correct to say that a missile detonates when one component of that missile detonates. I would argue that it does, but that level of precision-of-meaning isn't important to this discussion (and I'm too tired to care about it to the level that I usually do).

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 18 2006, 08:44 AM)
It actually is semantics, but more importantly semantics are the important part. Seriously, semantics == meaning. "Oh, we're just arguing about what the words mean." If there's no attempt to reach agreement on that, why bother to have the words in the first place?

Sure, and the understanding as required was reached.....and....

Now go get some sleep. smile.gif
Frag-o Delux
There is an omnisentient being that makes nukes work or not, they are the Horrors known as the writers (just a poke).

So far there are only 4 nuclear weapons used in the awakened world. One has been sabotaged by the people that launched it, the Cermark blast which was supposedly monkied with by some sort of magical barrier, the Kashmir nukes where 2 of 4 missiles didnt make it out past launch which could easily be written off as a third world country's lack of care for precision weapons like long range missiles, and the Winternight bombs. Only 2 of those nuclear incidents had a strange nuclear blast that would say something may be messing with nuclear weapons. The Cermark blast has been said that someone tried to use a huge barrier to stop it, which if it was even possible to do may have caused the change in its expected blast.

I cant remember, where did Winternight get their bombs? And did they release a statement saying how big their bombs should have been?

Also, the 2 missiles launched by Pakistan still leaves 1 accredited to India, since there was an exchange betweeen the two. There is no mention of any of Indias missiles malfunctioning or warheads not preforming up to their expectations, in fact it states all 3 bombs exploded. If there was a super being stopping nukes from working, why would it only stop 2 of the 4 missiles launched, allowing 2 to land in Kashmir and work properly and then also allow India to nuke the place?

So far I see no evidence that some astral being is stopping nukes from working or the basic laws by which they work have changed.

And to beat a dead horse even deader. Did I say we werent argueing semantics? I said its not just semantics, the post was retarded. I stand by that because that post servered no purpose other then an attempt to derail the thread, get you some attention, then try to make you look like the hero because you dropped the issue first. Which you appearently do a lot seeing that a few posters before me said they werent going to get into it with you because you post stupid stuff. I guess I should have followed their lead, especially since I knew you were going to use the payload arguement before you did. I was just curious if you would go that far to argue with someone for no reason.
eidolon
Knock off the baiting and bashing while it's still low key.

If anyone feels the need to argue further with an individual on the matter of semantics and post value, take it to PMs.

Thanks.
mfb
QUOTE (eidolon)

technically, no keys were involved.
SL James
It makes more sense only if a magical power actually intervened at the time, but only with specific knowledge of the location of the nuclear device. For example, Leonardo using his ABM/ASM system against the nuke in Black Madonna; or Lofwyr's astral self, which had spent half the novel hitching a ride on Talon's aura (*cough* lame *cough*) defusing the nuke at the Ragnarock concert after battling Alamaise by basically sticking an astral claw into it. In the case of System Failure, the C5 had learned of apparently quite specific locations (hence the ability to enact countermeasures for the city's Fanpro likes... er, for some cities over others) of the nukes, and it was Jean-Claude Priault (the S-K justice) who, when confronted with this line of questioning by the C5 military analyst, tells him to shut his pie-hole.
Warmaster Lah
There are a few things I've been thinking about.

We all know peoples emotions affect mana.... perhaps it's the subconscious fears of billions of people against Nukes that could lead up to the something that effects how nukes work. Even though I dont think thats what happened in SF.

I've always wondered if the consciousness of large populations could lead to the spontanious births of spirits of man of unprecedented power, or some such creature. I mean if Millions of people wish for a savior for example, that could have an effect on the astral.

-

Second. I'd think a stop nuke spell wouldn't be that hard if you went about it the right way. Not focusing on stopping nuclear reactions but maybe on a mechanism that allows a nuke to detonate. Like a huge AOE electronic systems glitch spell. But thats obviously not what has happened in SF and the other incidents.

-

hobgoblin
hmm, kinda like god (or maybe jesus) exist as a free spirit of man because enough people belive in said entity existing (or have existed)?

reminds me a bit to much of the gods of forgotten realms, and their fights over belivers...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Warmaster Lah)
Not focusing on stopping nuclear reactions but maybe on a mechanism that allows a nuke to detonate. Like a huge AOE electronic systems glitch spell.

The weakest of spells, as long as it could affect the internals of the warhead itself prior to or during the detonation, would do the trick -- the Object Rating might be the biggest issue here.

One part of the explosive lense around the fission fuel goes off 1/1000th of a second too late and all you get is a small *boom* and a big pile of radiactive mess blown around a bit.

The AoE wouldn't need to be very large, just zoom in on the re-entry vehicle with some optical magnification and zap them with your custom Fuck Up Exploding-Bridgewire Detonators spell at Force 10. If you attempted to maintain such a spell over a large area as a passive defense, the nukers could dispel it beforehand and/or track you down with some Ritual Magic.
knasser
QUOTE (eidolon @ Oct 18 2006, 04:38 PM)

If anyone feels the need to argue further with an individual on the matter of semantics and post value, take it to PMs.

Thanks.

Now this is total thread derailment and I apologise, but is it me or are there suddenly lots of mods telling us to keep the noise down. I appreciate keeping things on track, but I also have some faith in our ability as a community to resolve things ourselves. When threads get locked down all of a sudden, it denies any chance to work through things. And it's the Internet. No one actually gets hurt and some of us enjoy bantering.

I now return you to the less explosive topic of nuclear weapons.
knasser
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Warmaster Lah)
Not focusing on stopping nuclear reactions but maybe on a mechanism that allows a nuke to detonate. Like a huge AOE electronic systems glitch spell.

The weakest of spells, as long as it could affect the internals of the warhead itself prior to or during the detonation, would do the trick -- the Object Rating might be the biggest issue here.

One part of the explosive lense around the fission fuel goes off 1/1000th of a second too late and all you get is a small *boom* and a big pile of radiactive mess blown around a bit.

The AoE wouldn't need to be very large, just zoom in on the re-entry vehicle with some optical magnification and zap them with your custom Fuck Up Exploding-Bridgewire Detonators spell at Force 10. If you attempted to maintain such a spell over a large area as a passive defense, the nukers could dispel it beforehand and/or track you down with some Ritual Magic.

As far as I recall the specifics of the third Secrets of Power trilogy, Sam / Twist disabled the nuclear weapon by focusing the entire energy of a Great Ghost Dance on it. Not THE Great Ghost Dance, but Dan Howling Coyote was participating along with a whole shed-load of other shamans. And even with all this mighty mojo, he wasn't supressing an actual explosion, but rendering some components of the warhead useless, I think. He also had his sister Janice on site to focus the energies, I believe.

So I don't know if people consider this cannon or not (though it was one of the very first Shadowrun novels), but it lends support to not being able to supress the effects of a nuclear explosion.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (knasser)
So I don't know if people consider this cannon or not (though it was one of the very first Shadowrun novels), but it lends support to not being able to supress the effects of a nuclear explosion.

No argument there. The magic defenses in the bug hive that the Cermak blast occurred in must have been immensely powerful, and even then they only managed to slightly contain the nuke's tiny yield. Once the reaction is underway, I doubt there's much magic can do to stop it. There's just way too much energy expelled way too fast -- something like 200 terajoules in less than a microsecond for an efficient fission primary.

Before the fission begins, however, the slightest upset might cause the warhead to fizzle. The explosive lenses that I mentioned have to be accurate in the 100nm range to get maximum efficiency, and even a slight error in that system could easily lead to critical mass not being achieved.

40+ years after the introduction of magic, steps would have been taken to make sure a single decent mage doesn't make for a 100% effective ABM system. Back in the early days it might have been easier.
Kagetenshi
Once the reaction is underway, I doubt there's much magic can do to stop it. There's just way too much energy expelled way too fast -- something like 200 terajoules in less than a microsecond for an efficient fission primary.

At any stage before full energy release an outward-pointing force should stand a chance of causing partial failure, AFAICT. That said, IIRC the time involved is 8 µs or thereabouts, so not much window of opportunity.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (knasser)

As far as I recall the specifics of the third Secrets of Power trilogy, Sam / Twist disabled the nuclear weapon by focusing the entire energy of a Great Ghost Dance on it. Not THE Great Ghost Dance, but Dan Howling Coyote was participating along with a whole shed-load of other shamans. And even with all this mighty mojo, he wasn't supressing an actual explosion, but rendering some components of the warhead useless, I think. He also had his sister Janice on site to focus the energies, I believe.

I acutally just finished reading this last night. He didn't focus all the energies on the nukes, he tossed some around to help others, like Urdli for example, and hart in their runs on the caches.

What I thought was strange was the way it described what happened to the nukes. I don't have the book on hand so I can't quote directly, but it described it as time speeding up on the material burning it out. What I got out of it was that it sped up the degredation of the radioactive material rendering it inert. Now IIRC, uranium has a half life in the thousands of years, yes? And also, according to jsut about every magic book out there, sorcery can't effect space/time, so I'd translate it as just burning it out . May not make sense, but it's "magic". or you could jsut say it was the writers artistic license and make up your own solution.
Austere Emancipator
Kagetenshi: The Wikipedia article on it says the neutron cascade in an implosion-type Pu239 fission device will last for about 0.8 microseconds. So yeah, the window's pretty tight.

fistandantilus3.0: Plutonium-239, which is the most likely fission fuel, has a half-life of 24,110 years. Perhaps more importantly it has very low rate of spontaneous fission, so you'd need to pass a whole lotta time through that 10kg mass to make it useless. What the "shelf lifes" are for all the other materials inside the warhead that are required for it to go off as designed, I have no idea -- far less than that of the Plutonium, quite possibly. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if a fully armed two-stage warhead had a large probability of fizzling after being smacked by, say, a single year. Regardless, the whole space-time thing does indeed make increasing the friction to burn through the heat shields a likelier explanation.
knasser
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 19 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (knasser @ Oct 19 2006, 11:59 AM)

I acutally just finished reading this last night. He didn't focus all the energies on the nukes, he tossed some around to help others, like Urdli for example, and hart in their runs on the caches.

What I thought was strange was the way it described what happened to the nukes. I don't have the book on hand so I can't quote directly, but it described it as time speeding up on the material burning it out. What I got out of it was that it sped up the degredation of the radioactive material rendering it inert. Now IIRC, uranium has a half life in the thousands of years, yes? And also, according to jsut about every magic book out there, sorcery can't effect space/time, so I'd translate it as just burning it out . May not make sense, but it's "magic". or you could jsut say it was the writers artistic license and make up your own solution.

Hah! I'd forgotten about Urdli (but not Hart who now has an NPC villain version in my setting). It was about 12 years ago that I read it, though. The thing I remember most about the books was the annoying line art spread throughout them which, as a kid, I always found embarrassing. Thought it made it look like a kid's book. rotfl.gif

Anyway, reminiscences aside, it seems reasonable to me that it should require the same amount of magic juice to surpress X amount of explosive force, as it should to create X amount of explosive force. Are there any unequal sided examples of magical power in the rules along these lines? If not, then I'd suggest until you find a mage who can create a 500 kiloton equivalent Powerball, you're not going to find one that can counter it. Hmmm. Perhaps if I use a fetish... grinbig.gif

Other than that, I think we're stuck with modifying it so it doesn't go off properly. I don't see why that would be particularly hard, though perhaps we need an additional level of Object Resistance on the table for hyper-technological devices such as nuclear warheads.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (knasser)
The thing I remember most about the books was the annoying line art spread throughout them which, as a kid, I always found embarrassing. Thought it made it look like a kid's book. rotfl.gif

that one was bad, but the second book was worst for the "art". I hate Baxa.
knasser
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (knasser @ Oct 19 2006, 03:04 PM)
The thing I remember most about the books was the annoying line art spread throughout them which, as a kid, I always found embarrassing. Thought it made it look like a kid's book.  rotfl.gif

Which had the orc with the laser shooting some sort of goo thing? Over a decade later, I still remember reading through the facing page faster before someone saw it and laughed at me. Okay - I was a kid and embarrased about stupid things, but the art was really awful.
Kagetenshi
Kagetenshi: The Wikipedia article on it says the neutron cascade in an implosion-type Pu239 fission device will last for about 0.8 microseconds. So yeah, the window's pretty tight.

What's an order of magnitude between friends? embarrassed.gif

~J
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 19 2006, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (knasser @ Oct 19 2006, 03:04 PM)
The thing I remember most about the books was the annoying line art spread throughout them which, as a kid, I always found embarrassing. Thought it made it look like a kid's book.  rotfl.gif

Which had the orc with the laser shooting some sort of goo thing? Over a decade later, I still remember reading through the facing page faster before someone saw it and laughed at me. Okay - I was a kid and embarrased about stupid things, but the art was really awful.

That was the second one , Choose Your Enemies, or whatever. That's Baxa's work. I hate Baxa. Now you can to!

He still draws that way. I'm sure he's great as a person, but his style always seemed very sloppy to me. Worst, his stuff keeps popping up in SR. They should get more from Brom IMO. Harlequin's Back, best cover ever.
Frag-o Delux
p. 47 MiTS. Spells can speed up or slow down processes, such as
healing or chemical reactions, and allow subjects to move
quickly, but they cannot directly alter time or space.

So yes, if you have the right kind of spell you could make Uranium or what ever go inert, other things rust or rot away. Its how they describe the effects of healing a person magically. You arent healing them yourselves, you are making the healing process take a very small fraction of its normal time, well you are super speedign the process so its doesnt take as long.
fistandantilus4.0
Thanks Frag-o, I'll check that out. Nice catch.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 19 2006, 04:54 PM)
Thanks Frag-o, I'll check that out. Nice catch.

Yeah I like it. We have messed with spell ideas like rust. Its a combat spell really, basically powerball for a specific material like metals. Except we describe it as speeding up the rusting process.

Just fooling around a mage in our game rusted the hinges off a door (casting at Deadly damage) and once rusted a box shut to keep someone from getting into it (casting at a light but damaged it to a medium).

We even made a much higher level spell, its close to deadly to the mage casting it, it acts like the afore mentioned Rust spell but it works on all inanimate material. Like using it on glass made it sag to the point it fell out of the window frame (glass acts as a liquid, if you find really old houses with glass windows still intact youll find that the top of the pane is thin and the bottom fatter. Given enough time the glass would "pour" out of the window frame).

I suppose it could be unbalancing, but we have made it touch only, with out the touch only benefit to drain to make sure it had an hard to use catch was hard to cast. Just felt like making it hard on ourselves.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Oct 19 2006, 05:32 PM)
(glass acts as a liquid, if you find really old houses with glass windows still intact youll find that the top of the pane is thin and the bottom fatter. Given enough time the glass would "pour" out of the window frame).

Wikipedia to the rescue!

Short version, glass does not act as a liquid. Old houses usually have windows with thicker bottoms because the method of making glass at that time resulted in uneven (but predictable) thickness, and putting the thick end down makes more sense to most people. Some houses have windows with the thick end at the top.

~J
Frag-o Delux
Im not a glass person and the few people that I have talked to that deal with glass as a profession have told me that glass does act as a liquid. So I stand corrected since the wiki has better proof then the word of a lay person.

EDIT: No worries will_rj. lol I can admit when Im wrong and the more proof shown the better, I like to be better informed.

EDIT2: The second will post was very informative, thanks.
will_rj
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
(glass acts as a liquid, if you find really old houses with glass windows still intact youll find that the top of the pane is thin and the bottom fatter. Given enough time the glass would "pour" out of the window frame).

That´s a common mistake, which still persists among nonspecialists in the subject. I remember my physics teacher incurring in that same mistake when i was in high school

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass#Glass_as_a_liquid

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Link...sen/florin.html

Edit: oops, Sorry i´m late.
hyzmarca
Wikipedia supports that glass has a relaxation period of 10^32 years (100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years). Given enough time it would indeed flow, it is just that the universe hasn't existed long enough for this effect to be obserable.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Wikipedia supports that glass has a relaxation period of 10^32 years (100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years). Given enough time it would indeed flow, it is just that the universe hasn't existed long enough for this effect to be obserable.

[sarcasm] So I was right! And my spell would work! [/sarcasm]
Kagetenshi
Yeah, WRT the spell it doesn't matter as much. It kinda screws with your description (or at least increases its required potency), but once you're using magic to make something fall apart, how it falls apart doesn't have to relate to how it normally acts.

~J
Frag-o Delux
Well how it normally acts is kind of important to the description of the spell and how I make it work in the game. Sure I could just smash the glass with a hammer or a fireball. But under the impression glass acts like a liquid speeding up its "liquidification" process made the goal reached cooler in the first place and its quite. And its important to make sure it fits in the canon rules, which is the reason I brought the idea up, while showing that a spell capable of making radioactive material inert.

But being shown that glass doesnt act as a liquid over reasonable time, Ill not use the spell that way again. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012