Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hackers unbalanced?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 6 2006, 06:21 AM)
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 6 2006, 10:16 PM)
Can I have a page number where it says that?

No books right now, but how about you give me a page number where it describes the Wired Reflexes (specifically, not Commlinks or that crap) connection in any other way than pure DNI?

All of my points are hypotheticals. You could, you might, you should be able to. Everyone who disagrees with my points says 'no, that's definitely not how it works'.

I'm exploring new routes for hackers, I'm not saying they're there. You're saying they're definitely NOT there when you have no reason to say so.

Even so, check page 330:

CYBERWARE 2nd paragraph
In addition to wireless functionality, most cyberware devices are equipped with a direct neural interface (DNI) that allows the user to mentally activate and control their functions. They can also be linked to other cyberware implants.

I can link some definitions if you need me to, but in addition, in that sentence means that, on top of the wireless functionality that ALL cyberware has, most have DNI.
kigmatzomat
I think people are arguing cyber that has the wireless turned off cannot be accessed by a hacker because the hacker has no pathway to send the device instructions, barring some specific cross-connection.

In other words, wifi->wiredreflexes/wifi-on works.

and

Wifi->commlink->touchlink->imagelink->datajack works.

Wifi->datajack/wifi-on->touchlink->commlink works

But
Wifi->datajack/wifi-on -> brain -> wiredreflexes/wifi-off does not work.
The target's brain is not a valid connection for hacking. (Though technomancers may be a questionable target)

Barring a specific cross connect (e.g. imagelink *must* be connected to cybereyes if present, dajatack always tied to imagelink if present, etc) then there is no way to access a cyber component that has wifi & touchlink disabled.

Lovesmasher
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
I think people are arguing cyber that has the wireless turned off cannot be accessed by a hacker because the hacker has no pathway to send the device instructions, barring some specific cross-connection.

In other words, wifi->wiredreflexes/wifi-on works.

and

Wifi->commlink->touchlink->imagelink->datajack works.

Wifi->datajack/wifi-on->touchlink->commlink works

But
Wifi->datajack/wifi-on -> brain -> wiredreflexes/wifi-off does not work.
The target's brain is not a valid connection for hacking. (Though technomancers may be a questionable target)

Barring a specific cross connect (e.g. imagelink *must* be connected to cybereyes if present, dajatack always tied to imagelink if present, etc) then there is no way to access a cyber component that has wifi & touchlink disabled.

Right, but the argument is based on the assumption that there is no pathway. There's no evidence to support that assumption. Until someone turns off the wifi access, the pathway is there. This means that, by default, the pathway exists and access is there. I'm not saying, by any means, that there's no defense against it, I'm just saying that defense is not the default setting of active cyberware.

Two examples:

An NPC hacker with a 6 logic would, more than likely, have his cyberware locked into DNI where possible and behind defense where not.

An NPC enforcer with a 2 logic, more than likely, would not have his cyberware's wireless access locked as it most likely would not occur to him that the possibilities for tampering or even configuring were there. Now if that enforcer has a hacker on his team, that's all thrown out. I'd even go so far as to say, base your determinations for default wireless security on the team member with the highest logic score. If they're high enough, they know that a network, like a chain, is only as strong as its weakest link.

Compare it to a person of lower than average intelligence using today's internet technology. They don't know to take precautions against identity theft, because if they, by default, took those precautions, there would be no identity theft.
Ryu
Try this Lordsmasher: The wireless functionality of cyberware is a potential weak point of network security, and therefore can sometimes be exploited. As the streetdoc hopefully knows his trade, the standard setting for the per-default-existing wireless adapter is OFF. Its like the computer my father uses, which has a good firewall and secure setup, despite him not knowing much about those things. The person who installed it does have the know-how, and thats enough.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Ryu)
Try this Lordsmasher: The wireless functionality of cyberware is a potential weak point of network security, and therefore can sometimes be exploited. As the streetdoc hopefully knows his trade, the standard setting for the per-default-existing wireless adapter is OFF. Its like the computer my father uses, which has a good firewall and secure setup, despite him not knowing much about those things. The person who installed it does have the know-how, and thats enough.

If that's how you want to run things, feel free. That's an awful lot of GM character handholding just to defeat one hacker tactic.

"Alright, let's just assume every possible safety measure has been taken, just to make sure you're not put into danger."

Sure, I wouldn't make players say they put their seatbelts on every time they got into a vehicle, but I'd make sure they said it if they were in a hurry.
Mistwalker
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
Sure, I wouldn't make players say they put their seatbelts on every time they got into a vehicle, but I'd make sure they said it if they were in a hurry.

Why? If they have the habit of putting on a seatbelt, it becomes automatic, you do it without really thinking about it.

Now, if they don't normally wear seatbelts, I can see making note for possible accidents or firefights.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 6 2006, 01:55 PM)

Why? If they have the habit of putting on a seatbelt, it becomes automatic, you do it without really thinking about it.

Now, if they don't normally wear seatbelts, I can see making note for possible accidents or firefights.

The intent in your statement is the same as in mine. If they never say they put their seatbelts on, it's only going to come up when there's a reason they should have.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
I'm not saying, by any means, that there's no defense against it, I'm just saying that defense is not the default setting of active cyberware.

So......your whole argument is based on the theory that the designers are morons and the default settings ignore the public safety or the safety of their users?

Sorry but any cyber that has Availability R or F will default to the safest mode possible.
Any cyber that's failure could immediately result in the loss of life (eyes, ears, limbs, etc) will default to the safest setting.

I'll buy that maybe a datajack will have wi-fi on by default, it is a communication hub after all. But lord above, I know I don't want someone's cybereyes suddenly filling up with spam while they're driving to work b/c the drek heads at Fuchi left the wifi enabled.

All it'll take is one good lawsuit, or heck, one powerful suit to be incovenienced or harmed, and that feature will be gone-dooby-gone.
Mikado
I am left wondering how people who run games where all cyber has wireless for control (eyes, ears, limbs, ect) control said items when someone does not have a commlink?
Yes, everyone in 2070 is supposed to have a commlink, but that is an external model. I think it would be strange for someone with cyberlegs linked to an external comm would stop moving when his trode hat blew off by the wind. That is just silly.
I'm with kigmatzomat. As a safety issue for anyone with cyber wireless functionality would be turned off. It would be immensely funny to watch Lonestar, Knight Errant, ANY MILITARY OUTFIT FOR ANY FIRST WORLD COUNTRY having many of their men be disabled by some chump on the other side wielding a jammer.
What happened to: The spirit of the rules outwieghs the letter of the rules?
And: Nothing is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Mikado)
I am left wondering how people who run games where all cyber has wireless for control (eyes, ears, limbs, ect) control said items when someone does not have a commlink?
Yes, everyone in 2070 is supposed to have a commlink, but that is an external model. I think it would be strange for someone with cyberlegs linked to an external comm would stop moving when his trode hat blew off by the wind. That is just silly.
I'm with kigmatzomat. As a safety issue for anyone with cyber wireless functionality would be turned off. It would be immensely funny to watch Lonestar, Knight Errant, ANY MILITARY OUTFIT FOR ANY FIRST WORLD COUNTRY having many of their men be disabled by some chump on the other side wielding a jammer.
What happened to: The spirit of the rules outwieghs the letter of the rules?
And: Nothing is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Firstly I'll ask you nicely not call me, or imply that I am, ignorant or stupid.

Secondly, if you'd have read the things I posted before, you'd see that it was those very safety features that I was suggesting be exploited. You would also see that I explained that jamming would merely interrupt the wireless connection, not the function of the cyberware.

If you're going to claim I'm wrong to the point of stupidity, please read and understand what I've said first.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Dec 6 2006, 02:58 PM)
Sorry but any cyber that has Availability R or F will default to the safest mode possible.

Again someone stating opinion phrased like fact.

As to the safety features, that's exactly what I'm saying could be exploited. All it should take is a signal to the cyberware that continuing function would harm the user and it shuts down.
Ryu
QUOTE (Lordsmasher)

If that's how you want to run things, feel free. That's an awful lot of GM character handholding just to defeat one hacker tactic.

Its nice to have a logical structured gameworld described as character handholding. But IŽm not demading explicit statements on the issue of seatbelts at all, so maybe I donŽt understand how realistic roleplaying works.

If you had unterstood my last post, youŽd have found a reason why your exploit will seldom work. If your GM lets himself be bullied into accepting your viewpoint, fine. IŽd even live with that attitude from my GM, as I know the rules well enough to give the right answers. But forcing the players to know what their characters would know, even if they donŽt care for the matrix rules, is, in my opinion, stupid. Statement directed at anyone with that attitude to playing and having fun, not you personally.
DireRadiant
Why is there an assumption that because any device has wireless , that means it is the means of controlling the device?
Mikado
I was not calling you that. I was calling the people in game who leave their wireless functionality on ignorant and stupid. I do apologize if what I said upset you, it was not suppose to. I also understand that I could have written what I said more clearly and I apologize for that.

Secondly, if you'd have read the things I posted before, you'd see that it was those very safety features that I was suggesting be exploited. You would also see that I explained that jamming would merely interrupt the wireless connection, not the function of the cyberware.

Jamming would do more than limit functionality... If you cant tell your cyberlegs to duck for cover you could die, if you cant tell your finger to fire the gun you could die, if you cant tell your eyes to switch to thermal when the enemy drops smoke you could die, if you cant tell your wired reflexes on you could die, if you cant.... I could go on forever but hopefully I have made a point that jamming should be of great concern to anyone with cyber. In addition, what if someone ran into a signal overlap? (like two people using the same frequency RC cars or similar remotes for TV's, ect, ect...) Yes, I would suspect that wireless of the future be much more secure that it is now but why would anyone take the chance that some malfunctioning microwave in the local stuffer shack making you walk into traffic.

An NPC enforcer with a 2 logic, more than likely, would not have his cyberware's wireless access locked as it most likely would not occur to him that the possibilities for tampering or even configuring were there. Now if that enforcer has a hacker on his team, that's all thrown out. I'd even go so far as to say, base your determinations for default wireless security on the team member with the highest logic score. If they're high enough, they know that a network, like a chain, is only as strong as its weakest link.

I would hope the boss of said enforcer with a logic of 2 would know better than letting the meatbag/bullet shield with WiFi enabled cyber guard him. Or for that matter anything that is important to him: his son/daughter, drug/BTL shipment, ect...

As to the safety features, that's exactly what I'm saying could be exploited. All it should take is a signal to the cyberware that continuing function would harm the user and it shuts down.

Yes, you are correct. something WiFi enabled could be set into diagnostics mode and that would screw with its user. I would hope that new shadowrunners would hear as much from Fastjack/shadowland. I would also hope that Corp. Security would hear as much in training classes. I would also hope that regular everyday people would hear as much from the local/national/international news.

"This just in from our reporters in the field from Desert Wars 2.0, (insert nation here) is reporting 1500 casualties when a jammer was activated disabling over 65% of its fighting force"
"In addition, reports are coming it of an explosion in downtown Seattle when Lonestar was called in to disable a bomb. Preliminary reports shot that the officer disabling the device set it off when his cyberarm was put in diagnostics mode. This information was gained from the arms blackbox diagnostics computer"
"Also, a local woman has filed a lawsuit against Stuffer Shack for keeping her awake due to frequency interference from a malfuctioning microwave and her cyberears"
Fortune
Well, this comes from the newly arrives SR4 FAQ. Make of it what you will ...

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ)
Can all cyberware implants be hacked? How do you hack a cyberlimb? What can you do with hacked cyberware?

To hack cyberware (or any device, really), several criteria must be met:

1) The cyberware/device must be computerized. Not all implants need a built-in computer -- but any that rely on remote control/access, must communicate with other implants/devices, have (pre-)programmable functions, or require regular diagnostics/checkups probably do, and that's most of them. Keep in mind that wireless computers are cheap in 2070, whereas cutting someone open just to access/check on an implant is not. Almost all cyberware requires careful maintenance and regular check-ups. Most cyberware has a direct neural interface, allowing the character to mentally access and control the implant, but wireless links are also included in case the character is unconscious or suffering from extreme trauma -- that way medtechs can easily detect implants and check them out. For example, you'd certainly want a medtech to know you have an internal air tank before they take a bone saw to your ribcage, so expect that implant to have a wireless link. Dermal plating, however, doesn't do much but sit there and make you tougher, and it's fairly obvious anyway, so it wouldn't be Someone who is extremely paranoid may insist on having any wireless links to their implants removed or turned off, but this will make care and maintenance more difficult, so the GM should apply appropriate consequences. Some implants may not need a complete wireless link -- built-in sensor RFID tags can monitor the implant and report any problems. The GM determines what implants/devices are computerized.

2) The cyberware/device must be on. Duh.

3) The hacker must be within range. Some external implants (like a cyberlimb) may only have a wired (not wireless) connection, meaning the hacker must physically jack in to access the device. Most other implants will be wireless, but the Signal is likely to be 0, since there's no need to broadcast diagnostics any further. Even something like a smartlink won't have a large Signal rating, since you're unlikely to be holding your gun more than a meter away. That means the hacker must be within 3 meters to access the cyberware/device. Alternately, the hacker must be able to access another device the cyberware/device is linked to -- such as the character's commlink for example -- and then hack that device first. The GM determines the implant's Signal rating.

Assuming all of these criteria are met, the cyberware can be hacked or spoofed, following normal hacking rules. Device ratings for standard types of cyberware are given on p. 214, SR4.

Once hacked, an implant can be manipulated within the limits of its programming and functionality. To a large degree, this is up to the hacker's ingenuity and the gamemaster's leeway. You could hack a set of cybereyes, for example, and make the target blind, make him see things (you would need these images), or download incriminating evidence onto the cybereyes' memory. "Erasing" things from their vision would be much harder if not impossible, as the hacker would have to be damn (unrealistically) quick with the editing software.

How can a character protect his cyberware from hacking?

1.) Turn off or remove any wireless links (not always an option).
2.) Use a direct physical connection rather than wireless (externally-accessible implants only).
3.) Keep the Signal low so a hacker would have to be within close range.
4.) Use a good Firewall program.
5.) Use a good Encryption program.
6.) Stay in hidden mode.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)

Nope, logical extrapolation. If governments have gone to the trouble to regulate the sale of a product, you can be sure it has been the subject of sufficient lawsuits to be equipped with proper failsafes. The "don't use a hairdryer in the shower" warning sticker people would make be all over this like a fat kid on candy. Market forces alone should force that anyway after the third cop in Podunk, Iowa gets hosed cause his gear had crappy security and they don't keep a hacker on staff to tell Jethro to disable WiFi.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Fortune)
Well, this comes from the newly arrives SR4 FAQ. Make of it what you will ...

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ)
Can all cyberware implants be hacked? How do you hack a cyberlimb? What can you do with hacked cyberware?

To hack cyberware (or any device, really), several criteria must be met:

1) The cyberware/device must be computerized. Not all implants need a built-in computer -- but any that rely on remote control/access, must communicate with other implants/devices, have (pre-)programmable functions, or require regular diagnostics/checkups probably do, and that's most of them. Keep in mind that wireless computers are cheap in 2070, whereas cutting someone open just to access/check on an implant is not. Almost all cyberware requires careful maintenance and regular check-ups. Most cyberware has a direct neural interface, allowing the character to mentally access and control the implant, but wireless links are also included in case the character is unconscious or suffering from extreme trauma -- that way medtechs can easily detect implants and check them out. For example, you'd certainly want a medtech to know you have an internal air tank before they take a bone saw to your ribcage, so expect that implant to have a wireless link. Dermal plating, however, doesn't do much but sit there and make you tougher, and it's fairly obvious anyway, so it wouldn't be Someone who is extremely paranoid may insist on having any wireless links to their implants removed or turned off, but this will make care and maintenance more difficult, so the GM should apply appropriate consequences. Some implants may not need a complete wireless link -- built-in sensor RFID tags can monitor the implant and report any problems. The GM determines what implants/devices are computerized.

2) The cyberware/device must be on. Duh.

3) The hacker must be within range. Some external implants (like a cyberlimb) may only have a wired (not wireless) connection, meaning the hacker must physically jack in to access the device. Most other implants will be wireless, but the Signal is likely to be 0, since there's no need to broadcast diagnostics any further. Even something like a smartlink won't have a large Signal rating, since you're unlikely to be holding your gun more than a meter away. That means the hacker must be within 3 meters to access the cyberware/device. Alternately, the hacker must be able to access another device the cyberware/device is linked to -- such as the character's commlink for example -- and then hack that device first. The GM determines the implant's Signal rating.

Assuming all of these criteria are met, the cyberware can be hacked or spoofed, following normal hacking rules. Device ratings for standard types of cyberware are given on p. 214, SR4.

Once hacked, an implant can be manipulated within the limits of its programming and functionality. To a large degree, this is up to the hacker's ingenuity and the gamemaster's leeway. You could hack a set of cybereyes, for example, and make the target blind, make him see things (you would need these images), or download incriminating evidence onto the cybereyes' memory. "Erasing" things from their vision would be much harder if not impossible, as the hacker would have to be damn (unrealistically) quick with the editing software.

How can a character protect his cyberware from hacking?

1.) Turn off or remove any wireless links (not always an option).
2.) Use a direct physical connection rather than wireless (externally-accessible implants only).
3.) Keep the Signal low so a hacker would have to be within close range.
4.) Use a good Firewall program.
5.) Use a good Encryption program.
6.) Stay in hidden mode.

Yay! I love when everyone can be right. I mean, I was the most right grinbig.gif, but points countering my points ended up being possibilities and reccomendations as well.

Well discussed all around.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 6 2006, 04:51 PM)

Nope, logical extrapolation. If governments have gone to the trouble to regulate the sale of a product, you can be sure it has been the subject of sufficient lawsuits to be equipped with proper failsafes. The "don't use a hairdryer in the shower" warning sticker people would make be all over this like a fat kid on candy. Market forces alone should force that anyway after the third cop in Podunk, Iowa gets hosed cause his gear had crappy security and they don't keep a hacker on staff to tell Jethro to disable WiFi.

If it's got an F availability, it's illegal, which means that there's unlikely to be ANY governmental regulation or required safety features.

Anyway, the point is moot now as it's been confirmed that hacking the commlink gives access to a good deal of cyberware.
kigmatzomat
No, F means it is illegal for civilians to own, which means it is *highly* regulated by the government. Sure, in some cases that regulation comes in the form of police kicking in the door to shut down the crack production but not always.

Cocaine is Forbidden but it is produced by highly regulated and monitored pharmaceutical companies b/c it has value as a topical anesthetic. (I was given medicinal cocaine a few years ago prior to a throatoscopy). A plethora of safeguards exist to ensure that cocaine does not make it to the illegal market.

Given that we are talking about high tech cyber made in a clean room facility and officially intended for (para)military use, it will have safety features intended to keep it functional on the battlefield. The most blatant safety feature, one that becomes perfectly obvious shortly after the first person survives having their cyber hacked, is "wifi should be off by default."

My opinion is that the paramilitary cyber WiFi would actually shut itself down after 2 minutes of inactivity, requiring the user to re-enable it. But it would probably have an optional setting that allows you to override the default so that's a moot point.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
No, F means it is illegal for civilians to own, which means it is *highly* regulated by the government. Sure, in some cases that regulation comes in the form of police kicking in the door to shut down the crack production but not always.

Cocaine is Forbidden but it is produced by highly regulated and monitored pharmaceutical companies b/c it has value as a topical anesthetic. (I was given medicinal cocaine a few years ago prior to a throatoscopy). A plethora of safeguards exist to ensure that cocaine does not make it to the illegal market.

Given that we are talking about high tech cyber made in a clean room facility and officially intended for (para)military use, it will have safety features intended to keep it functional on the battlefield. The most blatant safety feature, one that becomes perfectly obvious shortly after the first person survives having their cyber hacked, is "wifi should be off by default."

My opinion is that the paramilitary cyber WiFi would actually shut itself down after 2 minutes of inactivity, requiring the user to re-enable it. But it would probably have an optional setting that allows you to override the default so that's a moot point.

Or it could mean that it was built by a backroom cyberdoc/mechanic who tosses out restrictions put on him by the government, which, given the setting, seems much more likely than stolen government tech.
kigmatzomat
I find it highly unlikely that functional wired reflexes, bone lacing, muscle/reflex enhancment or most of the restricted non-head-bomb cyber is created in a back room lab. Used cyber seems safer than back-room cyber, IMO. Who really wants their nervous system recoded by Benny "The Butcher"?

It's much more plausible to be a result of profiteering by megacorps selling to gray markets, Azzie attempts to destabilize a region, or the fact that uninstalled cyber is right up there with diamonds in being compact items of wealth that are valued anywhere in the industrialized world.
Mikado
I find it hard to believe that wired reflexes would be made in some back-room mechanics shop. Wired (and most other cyber) is a highly advanced piece of equipment that, IMO, needs to be finely calibrated to its user. This is not something you could cook up in your basement like crystal meth... Also, the costs in time and resources to make one of these makes it far easier to have that lab make <insert drug of choice here> instead.
Seriously, I have sufficient know how to build super computers or particle accelerators in my basement but I find it far easier to assemble or fix other peoples computers in both a cost and time standpoint.
You get more bang for your buck (and time) making cheaper items that cater to many people than to make expensive items that cater to a few people.

IMO, the only reason the game designers "force" most cyber to have WiFi is to give the hackers something to do in a fire-fight. Yes lovesmasher, you are absolutely right. You can hack cyber through its wireless system. I'll stick by with what I have said all along. Anyone STUPID enough to leave WiFi enabled on their cyber (especially runners) deserves what they get. If I run a cyber character in the future all cyber will be slaved to an internal commlink that will have its antenna removed, it will be slaved to a data jack (that will have its wireless removed) with a skinlink. Paranoid, absolutely! Smart, yes! The only time someone other than yourself having access to your innards is at the doctors (which is made available by the datajack) But what if your to injured you say, link the commlink to a biomonitor (non-wireless) and have the biomonitor disable the commlink security if you go critical. After you go critical (read overflow) your pretty much dead anyway so what does it matter if the comm gives anyone access. And if the enemy hacker manages to connect to your data jack, it should mean that your team is dead as well so it really does not matter after that.

By the way: bragging that you won an online argument in two different threads is borderline childish. Someone on the boards had a sig saying as much but I don't remember who.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Mikado @ Dec 7 2006, 01:33 PM)
I find it hard to believe that wired reflexes would be made in some back-room mechanics shop. Wired (and most other cyber) is a highly advanced piece of equipment that, IMO, needs to be finely calibrated to its user. This is not something you could cook up in your basement like crystal meth... Also, the costs in time and resources to make one of these makes it far easier to have that lab make <insert drug of choice here> instead.
Seriously, I have sufficient know how to build super computers or particle accelerators in my basement but I find it far easier to assemble or fix other peoples computers in both a cost and time standpoint.
You get more bang for your buck (and time) making cheaper items that cater to many people than to make expensive items that cater to a few people.

IMO, the only reason the game designers "force" most cyber to have WiFi is to give the hackers something to do in a fire-fight. Yes lovesmasher, you are absolutely right. You can hack cyber through its wireless system. I'll stick by with what I have said all along. Anyone STUPID enough to leave WiFi enabled on their cyber (especially runners) deserves what they get. If I run a cyber character in the future all cyber will be slaved to an internal commlink that will have its antenna removed, it will be slaved to a data jack (that will have its wireless removed) with a skinlink. Paranoid, absolutely! Smart, yes! The only time someone other than yourself having access to your innards is at the doctors (which is made available by the datajack) But what if your to injured you say, link the commlink to a biomonitor (non-wireless) and have the biomonitor disable the commlink security if you go critical. After you go critical (read overflow) your pretty much dead anyway so what does it matter if the comm gives anyone access. And if the enemy hacker manages to connect to your data jack, it should mean that your team is dead as well so it really does not matter after that.

By the way: bragging that you won an online argument in two different threads is borderline childish. Someone on the boards had a sig saying as much but I don't remember who.

Believe what you want. That's the wonder of RPGs.

Seperately, I never considered our discussion here an arguement and I therefor don't see anyone as a 'winner' or a 'loser'. I merely stated here that, in different ways, we were all right, I was just -most- right, and usually the emoticon next to that statement would have illustrated the toungue in cheek manner in which I meant it, since indicative tone of voice is completely lacking in text. Elsewhere I said that I felt vindicated, which I did. Vindicate means to uphold or justify by argument or evidence, which is appropriate in this situation. Childish though, I may be. Not because of this, as you suggest, but just because I am.
Garrowolf
Well having seen the FAQ I have to say I totally don't agree with the game developers. I thought that they were going in a better direction then that but they have clarified it in the wrong direction in my opinion.

I am just going to drop all the stuff about being able to hack cyberware. People have read my reasoning over and over again so I wont repeat. My main reason beyond not agreeing with their reasoning is I think that allowing it is bad for cyberware characters. I is cruel to them.

There is already magic out there that can mess with their free will and confuse them in various ways but it isn't pointed at them directly. I think that magic is too powerful in some ways and tries to replace all other functions in a team too much. I think that there should be different kinds of characters each with their own specialities.

Now we have simultaniously added the ability for everyone to hack and for hackers to take control away from these character types. I think that this is cruel game design. So in my games I am saying NO. Cyberware has been gimped in several ways. This is a bad trend for a setting that is supposed to be part cyberpunk.
kigmatzomat
I'm going to leave WiFi as a feature on cyber. Matter of fact, I believe all completely internal, active cyber should include a Signal0 WiFi system for diagnostic purposes.

I'll even go so far as to house rule that the WiFi can be externally activated for medical reasons but that it will require a sufficiently high-energy signal applied to an internal, directional antenna that it requires direct contact to an area the size of your hand to activate the WiFi. For the medical profession this turns into just another sensor to tape to the patient's chest.

However, all cyber WiFi will automatically turn off after more than 1 minute of inactivity.
Lovesmasher
Seems you two favor heavy combat over heavy hacking. If that's your thing, your ideas definately will help your war cyborgs crush your hackers with little to no resistance.

Personally I'm looking forward to having a non-weapon oriented combat role for my non-rigging hacker.
Konsaki
Well, Lovesmasher, you have to remember that, per cannon, cyberware has a signal of 0, thus a hacking range of 3m. Now, if they have their cyber, for some weird reason, running through their commlink instead of the natural DNI, you can hack into the commlink and go from there.

SIGNAL RATING TABLE
Signal Rating  - Signal Range : Examples
0 - - - - - - - - - 3 m : Nanoware transceivers, cyberware, intra-PAN devices
1 - - - - - - - - - 40 m : RFID tags, handheld electronics
2 - - - - - - - - - 100 m : Headware transceivers, micro-drone sensors
3 - - - - - - - - - 400 m : Average commlinks, residential/small business wi-fi routers, vehicular autonav sensors
4 - - - - - - - - - 1 km : Crawler-drone sensors
5 - - - - - - - - - 4 km : Cyberlimb transceivers, heavy drone surveillance sensors
6 - - - - - - - - - 10 km : Cell-phone towers, public access wi-fi routers
7 - - - - - - - - - 40 km : Targeting sensors for ground vehicle weapons (ATGMs, tank guns, etc)
8 - - - - - - - - - 100 km : Flight radar, dedicated ground surveillance radar
9 - - - - - - - - - 400 km : Maritime/naval radar, commercial AM/FM radio

Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Well, Lovesmasher, you have to remember that, per cannon, cyberware has a signal of 0, thus a hacking range of 3m. Now, if they have their cyber, for some weird reason, running through their commlink instead of the natural DNI, you can hack into the commlink and go from there.

SIGNAL RATING TABLE
3 - - - - - - - - - 400 m : Average commlinks, residential/small business wi-fi routers, vehicular autonav sensors
5 - - - - - - - - - 4 km : Cyberlimb transceivers, heavy drone surveillance sensors
7 - - - - - - - - - 40 km : Targeting sensors for ground vehicle weapons (ATGMs, tank guns, etc)

The FAQ said that it can be hacked through the commlink anyway. I'm fairly sure that my game group will follow the FAQ to the letter.
Penta
Something the signal table doesn't take into accoiunt, I think:

Most runs happen in places with very congested spectrum.

In the real world, I think I would halve all ranges for signal rating 5 and below; The ranges listed would be ideals, but operations in the sprawl have to deal with competing signals, atmospheric interference, etc. that would cut usable range significantly.

Cyber in particular has to broadcast through the skin, with no gain, so ranges are probably a lot less than 9 feet.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Dec 8 2006, 05:56 PM)

SIGNAL RATING TABLE

The FAQ said that it can be hacked through the commlink anyway. I'm fairly sure that my game group will follow the FAQ to the letter.

If you mean this line from the faq, make sure to remember that you can only go through the commlink to get at the cyberware if the person has slaved his cyber to his commlink. If not, then it is skinlinked or slaved to something with a DNI.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Penta)
Something the signal table doesn't take into accoiunt, I think:

Most runs happen in places with very congested spectrum.

In the real world, I think I would halve all ranges for signal rating 5 and below; The ranges listed would be ideals, but operations in the sprawl have to deal with competing signals, atmospheric interference, etc. that would cut usable range significantly.

Cyber in particular has to broadcast through the skin, with no gain, so ranges are probably a lot less than 9 feet.

I think these signal ranges are taking into acount most day to day interferance or situations like cyberware and whatnot.
Mistwalker
Before you can hack the sammy's cyberware, you have to find it. If they run their commlink in hidden mode, and there are any kind of normal activity around, the hacker may not be able to find him in a short periode of time.
Lovesmasher
Yeah, but hackers are always less effective when time is limited that they would be if they had time to plan and work things out slowly. I'd just rather have the option, effective or not.
Konsaki
Maybe 4 turns, tops, on a scan test... thats with a 12 dicepool. I know thats alot of time in combat, but thats when both sides arnt playing it smart by ducking behind cover. Then 1 to 1.3 turns to hack in, and 1-2 IP to turn off all cyberware with a 5 minute 'no turn on' timer.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Maybe 4 turns, tops, on a scan test... thats with a 12 dicepool. I know thats alot of time in combat, but thats when both sides arnt playing it smart by ducking behind cover. Then 1 to 1.3 turns to hack in, and 1-2 IP to turn off all cyberware with a 5 minute 'no turn on' timer.

And easier still if you're in a hammock in a van running hot sim.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Dec 8 2006, 06:13 PM)

And easier still if you're in a hammock in a van running hot sim.

Or using your 3-4IP in AR, now that the FAQ has deemed it a viable tactic...
Lovesmasher
True, but I do so like my +2 dice.
Konsaki
I like just compiling a sprite to perform it all for me, but thats just the preference of my only hacker character right now...
Though, I dont know if I will ever create another TM due to the FAQ... It hinges on Emergence and Unwired.
Garrowolf
Well I can see a sprite getting around all these limitations but I don't think that the regular hackers should do this.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
Seems you two favor heavy combat over heavy hacking. If that's your thing, your ideas definately will help your war cyborgs crush your hackers with little to no resistance.

Personally I'm looking forward to having a non-weapon oriented combat role for my non-rigging hacker.

I don't think I'm a freak for failing to give hackers ready access to other folks' central nervous system.

Nothing here prevents the hacking of comms and the associated weapons & gear.

The simple fact is that security by isolation is pretty darned easy to implement and should be the path taken whenever continuous connectivity is not necessary.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 8 2006, 06:48 PM)

I don't think I'm a freak for failing to give hackers ready access to other folks' central nervous system.

Nothing here prevents the hacking of comms and the associated weapons & gear.

The simple fact is that security by isolation is pretty darned easy to implement and should be the path taken whenever continuous connectivity is not necessary.

No one suggested taking control of anyone's central nervous system, as far as I saw.

If you're going to assume 'security by isolation' as the default in cybernetics, you should also assume it for all other systems, which makes your campaign non-hacker friendly.
Charon
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 9 2006, 03:57 PM)
If you're going to assume 'security by isolation' as the default in cybernetics, you should also assume it for all other systems, which makes your campaign non-hacker friendly.

I for one assume 'security by isolation' whenever that makes sense. Yet the Hacker in my campaign still often finds uses for his skills in a combat.

---

Absolutely, positively no runner or runner's opposition will keep a device accessible by wireless if it offer them no advantage but allow a hacker to harm them.

P. 304 : Turning it off.

Most cyber's wireless function offer you no advantage whatsover in combat so there is no reason not to shut them down. Why wouldn't you? To give the opposition's Hacker a fair chance? No one is that much of a moron.

A runner with cybereyes for exemple should keep the wireless function shut down at all time except for maintenance or for occasionnally connecting them to the commlink in order to broadcast to a team mate what you are seeing.

The rest of the time ; shut them down.

Obviously, some like the Smartlink needs to stay open. But why would you connect it to your commlink? Because it's more secure? It's not, no matter how good your security is because a hacker can access it from afar. Keep it independant on a signal of 0. It's unlikely a Hacker will get within 3 meter of you, and if he is that close and goes for your smartlink he is a dead idiot.

The only reason to link your smartlink to your commlink is if you have mounted your weapon on a smartfiring platform and are shooting it from 400 meter away.

The rest of the time ; signal 0.

That's common sense for players. Why would NPCs be stupider?

Same for security systems ; If you are broacasting something, anything, it's because you want at least someone to access it. If there isn't, then it's only common sense to keep the system as isolated as you can.

For example, is there any reason for your security cameras to be accessible from someone outside the building they are protecting? No? Then make every reasonable effort to isolate that system from the outside.

It's just common sense.

That being said, a Hacker can still be a powerful force in urban combat.

Recently we had a chase ; could the Hacker hack the vehicle in pursuit? No. Obviously the opposing rigger had disconnected any possibility of outside interference with his commands. Duh. There is no real reaon to keep your onboard computers accessible from the outside if you are bad ass rigger. What do you gain by doing this? Only the possibility to get your vehicle hacked from under you. If you are going to do that, you might as well be using a drone.

But the innocent bystanders vehicle, on the other hand... Honest citizens relying the grid system to drive their vehicle and avoid traffice jam are certainly hackable. Hacking the car of Mr. and Mrs. Wong to throw them at the opposition isn't exactly a nice thing to do but hey, better the Wong than you!

Similarly, the hacker could have gone for the traffic light to give an edge to his own driver.

Plenty of possibility for the creative hacker. But it's too much to ask that the opposition be stupid enough to make the hacker's life easy by letting him hack things that can be safely be kept turned off.
Lovesmasher
It's not a matter of stupidity, it's a matter of not knowing better. Unless your NPC is a hacker, has a hacker covering him, has been the victim of a hacker, or is of above average logic, assuming extra protective measures for every NPC seems like metagaming with the intent of defeating hacker techniques.
Charon
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 9 2006, 06:26 PM)
It's not a matter of stupidity, it's a matter of not knowing better. Unless your NPC is a hacker, has a hacker covering him, has been the victim of a hacker, or is of above average logic, assuming extra protective measures for every NPC seems like metagaming with the intent of defeating hacker techniques.

Well, well. So we agree ; almost everybody would know these basic precuations! wink.gif

Almost any opposition the PC come up against will either have a Hacker covering them, or have come up against hacker in the past or at least have Hackers working for their organizations that give them security briefing every few months or so. Even lowly security guard will know of these procedure through these briefings and beside it will be company policy anyway, subject to disciplinary sanctions if they are not followed.

Those who would be clueless on the subject are essentially civilians. With low logic and who have never been victim of a hacker related crime (or know someone who has), if I follow your post.

Like Mr and Mrs Wong in my example.

It's not that many persons, when you think about it.

---

And it's a good thing too. It's kind of boring otherwise. Hacker have to be more creative if the opposition is not a bunch of clueless dolt who seem blissfully unaware that hackers even exist and that maybe some precautions should be taken.
Lovesmasher
Compare it to identity theft today. Many people don't take precautions against it, even though it's exceptionally important that they do. One could even go so far as to say not doing so is stupid, but yet every day more and more crimes are commited because people don't take precautions.
Charon
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 9 2006, 07:53 PM)
Compare it to identity theft today. Many people don't take precautions against it, even though it's exceptionally important that they do. One could even go so far as to say not doing so is stupid, but yet every day more and more crimes are commited because people don't take precautions.

Yes. People. Civilians.

I conceded that civilians can be clueless.

I gave an example of a fictional couple of civilians, the Wong, that ended up having their car hijacked and used as a weapon against pursuer by a ruthless hacker in my campaign.

But the opposition will all be clued in.

The opposition.

Starting with the guy with 200k of cyberware installed. He has heard of hacker for sure.

Unless 80% of your runner's time is spent picking on clueless civilians, I'd say most of the people he comes up against know about Hackers.

Corp security. Crime syndicate. Rival runners. Special Forces. They know.
Lovesmasher
Alright, I can agree on that.
Lovesmasher
I suppose I'll find out tomorrow where my GM stands on this, but I'm definately thinking he's going to fall on the side of allowing hackers to do more than they should be able to do. That's the game's stance on hackers in general because without it, they're not really very useful.
jervinator
I had always assumed that things are exactly as Charon has stated. If hackers are running amok, then the GM has obviously played the NPCs of the world as total morons. True, 90% of people ARE stupid, but 90% is not 100% and it is safe to assume that the party's opponents are more likely to be part of that elite 10% who posess a functional brainstem.
Fortune
Obviously, that is my opinion as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012