Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firing around corners
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Chandon
After thinking about it a bit, I've come to the conclusion that firing from a well-stabilized position is represented by "take aim" actions.

Think about it - the time to draw your weapon and shoot is the same amount of time as is used to shoot twice. There's no penalty for the first shot, and you damn well don't have things lined up very well coming out of a holster.
mfb
indeed.
Ben
QUOTE (Chandon)
Think about it - the time to draw your weapon and shoot is the same amount of time as is used to shoot twice. There's no penalty for the first shot, and you damn well don't have things lined up very well coming out of a holster.

unless you're Clint Eastwood of course cool.gif
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (lorechaser)

But again, so much of that is taken up by the smartlink.  In theory, the smartlink gives immediate, speed of thought feedback on your aiming.  If you are off, you get a mental nudge that says "Move the gun a touch to the right."

Nahh, I don't buy it. Even with a simsense component, how does the gun know what your target is? SR4 tech is advanced, but I'm guessing that is WAY beyond the scope of the capabilities they envisioned for the Smartlink.

It's something so fundamentally different from what we're used to, that I can't even really consider what it's like.  I know the computer in the smartlink will adjust for range, ammo, and conditions.  I don't know what else it will do.

It's not "ZOMFG-HeatseekingBullets-pewpewpew-FTW", it's an aiming assist. It doesn't turn a mediocre shooter into Carlos Hathcock.

Aiming Reticle in your field of vision: check!
Laser rangefinder to adjust reticle for projectile drop: check!
Ammo counter displayed in your field of vision: check!
Mental command to switch firing modes/fire/drop magazine: check (would require some cyberware in addition to the vision/gun mods.
Gun-camera, accessible via cybereye/contacts/smart shades: check!

And that's about it, folks.
Faelan
A little off topic for mfb.

Do you prefer isosceles or weaver for handguns? Personally all about the weaver.

Back on topic.

I guess I should be more specific when describing my objections to smartguns and corners. When individuals comment on it for me at least I automatically envision someone trying to fire it at a perfect 90 around a corner one handed. This is where I just can see it working, I don't care if a piece of equipment or a sentence of text in SR4 says its cool, it makes absolutely no physical sense. Same way I really don't want to know exactly when the gun is going to fire, as indicated by firing it with the smartlink, this would probably result in anticipating the shot, tensing up and at that point enjoy missing. What I am saying is that from its inception smartguns have been cool, but clearly designed by someone with limited firearm experience.

I understand this is a game, but personally I like my descriptions to be gritty and as realistic as possible. For me the mechanics are really not the important part in this conversation it is the sheer absurdity of what I described above. Should you be able to shoot around a corner? Sure. But try using it as an offset pie cutter. Hands exposed, possibly part of arm, vitals behind corner, body mostly behind weapon, that's the only real way I could seeing it work. Of course my games lean toward less cinematic more real life of course YMMV.
mfb
QUOTE (Faelan)
Do you prefer isosceles or weaver for handguns? Personally all about the weaver.

i prefer the prone unsupported with an M-16. i've never been formally trained in handgun shooting, but the Weaver stance feels the most comfortable.

so, quick poll: is there anyone who's used firearms regularly, who doesn't think shooting around corners should be pretty hard regardless of the targeting technology involved?
djinni
QUOTE (mfb)
so, quick poll: is there anyone who's used firearms regularly, who doesn't think shooting around corners should be pretty hard regardless of the targeting technology involved?

it's not very hard to do, although I can't regularly hit what I'm trying to due to not being able to see it.
never done it with a rifle only pistols, and only down hallways, against others that are adhering to cover.
eidolon
A "nope" here. Of course, the degree to which it matters in relation to a person's enjoyment of the game varies. wink.gif
Shrike30
Nope for me, too.

My usual solution to using the smartgun's guncam as the primary sense for firing (as opposed to using your normal vision, with a smartgun link running in parallel) is to remove the +2 smartgun bonus, and apply the -1 "from cover" penalty if appropriate.

On handgun stances: I learned to shoot Weaver at the age of 10, and to shoot Isoceles at the age of 24. I stick with Isoceles. 100 rounds of .40 fired from a G23 in Weaver leaves my right hand kind of tenderized. 400 rounds of .40 fired from the same gun two weeks later in Isoceles left a couple of hot spots, but the impact was distributed so much better by the Iso stance that despite the 4x volume of rounds being fired, I didn't have any problems with soreness afterwards. Weaver is a pose that feels a little more "natural"... until you get some good training at Iso. Once I made the switch (and saw my recoil control improve, my sight picture steady, and my accuracy improve), I was sold.
mfb
QUOTE (djinni)
...only pistols, and only down hallways, against others that are adhering to cover.

see, that's a special case that i didn't want to mention because it'd just confuse people. skipping shots down a wall is a trick that's neat as hell, but it's only applicable in a limited set of circumstances. i'd hate to build a general rule off of it, because it'd be inapplicable in so many cases.
OneTrikPony
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Faelan)

i prefer the prone unsupported with an M-16. i've never been formally trained in handgun shooting, but the Weaver stance feels the most comfortable.

What do you qualify as regularly?

I practice with my bow more than a pistol, with a rifle more than either. My rough guess by adding up reciepts for shells is that I probably put 2-3000 round per year through my buddies ruger 22 and about 1000 through his USP40. That's a nice pistol, he has a laser sight on it and in the begining of november we were shooting from the hip. With the laser at 10 yards I can keep the whole clip inside a paper plate. It doesn't seem that hard to me.

My father taught me a modified weaver. That's what I use. The only soreness I've ever experienced was from thumbing shells into the clip. Personaly I don't believe that the weaver or any variation will be used by a person with a smartlink.

Check out some papers on Aimed Point Shooting HERE for an alternate of the standard.

Also Let's define exactly what positions were talking about when we're talking about shooting around the corner. this is my idea.
1. Pick up your pistol or something similar.
2. if you are right dominant lean your left shoulder against a wall near a corner.
3. using your right leg push your left hip against the wall, lock your knee.
4. point your pistol or prop, in your right hand, around the corner at about the level of your chin. (use the same level you would when shooting a traditional stance.
5. support your pistol with your left hand under the but the way you would if you were pointing your pistol forward.

Do you feel stable? I do. Infact because Im leaning against the wall-- instead of doing something stupid like holding my arm out to the side with my nose pressed agianst the wall-- I feel more stable than I do in my usual stance. When I set up this stance my pistol grip is verticle, my barrel is parralel to the floor. In relation to my intended field of fire there's about 10 degrees of angle in my wrist, 45 in my elbow and 10 in my shoulder. I feel comfortable that I could handle any recoil from any pistol that I've experienced up to a .357.

In this position I have "GOOD COVER" vs any thing that is more than 4 feet down my hallway. tghe only thing exposed are my hands and wrists. I also feel that this is a good position from which to launch myself across the opening to the other side. If I had a 2006 gun cam I'm certain that I could hit any target as consistantly as I might from a standing position.

Try it. See what you think. Try some kneeling variations. Try it with your off hand. This will work fine.
Fortune
We're not saying it won't work. All people are saying is that there should be a penalty (other than the -1 from cover) to shooting that way in comparison to the normal method.
Digital Heroin
I used to know a guy who had entirely too much money to spend, and was obsessed with paintball. He had a setup with one of his rifles where a camera mounted on it would feed an image into an eye-patch deal. The guy would sit up somewhere nice and high, camo his position, and keep a vis using just the cam so it was all that had to move. Sure you'd think it'd make him sick seeing two different angles of the same scene (or different if the cam was way off axis), but he adapted, and was a pretty good shot at that through the cam.

If it could be done in the late nineties, it can sure as heck be done with 2070s tech.
Jaid
again, no one is saying it's impossible. we're just saying it should be harder than a -1 penalty gives.
Digital Heroin
I'm not entirely sure it is that much harder... asuming the person hasn't just walked out of their local down home Black Clinic with a shiny new Smartlink and slightly tingly eyes they're used to it feeding them information, and sometimes making a shot they're not even activly focusing on. When you get to relying on something like that it becomes easier to do, conditioned into your patterns of behavior... 'least by my reckoning...
Fortune
Consider that the -1 firing from cover penalty is incurred by a shooter who is taking normal cover (say around a corner), but firing his gun in a normal manner. I think that firing in an abnormal manner should incur more of a penalty.
Chandon
What would make it especially abnormal to the shooter? I mean... this is a basic function of a smartgun setup. I don't see any reason why anyone who's properly trained in firearms usage in 2070 wouldn't have extensive practice with whatever the most appropriate techniques are for taking advantage of a smartgun's gun cam.

In other words... this technique *is* "taking normal cover".
OneTrikPony
Seems like it's time to disagree to disagree. Apparently the smartgun/link is diferent at some game tables.
Kesslan
Yeah, 'taking cover' to me generally means that your firing from any form of cover at all. Which is abit too broad reaching. Afterall taking cover behind a bush that you can still sort of see through (or camo netting) is very different from taking complete cover around a corner.

Also on the mention of shooting around corners, with the earlier suggestion of a handgun and a modified stance, I agree that would work quite well. For a handgun. Now try it with a shotgun, automatic rifle, SMG etc. I doubt it will work quite as well, abit more exposure though would help so you can still brace it against your shoulder.

For a handgun I'm inclined to simply negate the SL bonus, for anything bigger I'm more inclined to negate the SL Bonus and give an additional -2 modifier for firing from total cover. And then depending on how exactly their holding the weapon, seriously reduce the recoil comp. Afteral if your not bracing it against your shoulder, a shoulder pad does nothing. And if your burst firing with an automatic rifle and not bracing that stock agianst your shoulder your dealing with a whole hell of alot of recoil with only your arms.

Overall I'm finding the main debate here is really between those that want a more cinematic gamestyle, or just want to keep it ultra simple. While the rest of us are trying to figgure out how it could actually work in real life since we prefer abit more complexity and realism.
lorechaser
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
It's not "ZOMFG-HeatseekingBullets-pewpewpew-FTW", it's an aiming assist. It doesn't turn a mediocre shooter into Carlos Hathcock.

It does put a novice (Skill 2) on the level of a veteran (Skill 4) or a professional (Skill 3) on the level of an expert (Skill 5)....

And I maybe I do ascribe more abilities to the guncam/smartlink than are implied, but I think that it's a relatively trivial matter for the gun to sense what you're aiming at. We already have the ability to create games that target based solely off visual cues and activate based on brain activity. To think that 60 years from now, they haven't perfected that doesn't seem logical to me.

KarmaInferno
I always saw a smartlink as much the same as using a gun-mounted laser to aim, except that A) no actual laser was needed, and B) there were possibly some aiming helpers in the system to compensate for range and stuff.

The smartgun knows where it's at, and what position it's in, and the software extrapolates in your field of vision where the bullet would hit if pull the trigger. So you basically don't have to hold the weapon up to your eye to aim.

I have seen clips of folks using laser sights to 'fire around corners' - like hiding behind a mailbox and looking from one side of the mailbox while the gun is being aimed from the other.

The main issues I can see with doing is awkwardness of the position and the resulting reduction of stability. Both I can see not being an issue for someone with a cyberarm - metal doesn't have the wobbly strain issues that meat has. Thus my comment about cyberarms being more stable earlier - nothing to do with the agility, but more to do with the fact that cyberarms don't have issues with muscle jump and getting tired and wobbling due to uncomfortable positions.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
The main issues I can see with doing is awkwardness of the position and the resulting reduction of stability. Both I can see not being an issue for someone with a cyberarm - metal doesn't have the wobbly strain issues that meat has. Thus my comment about cyberarms being more stable earlier - nothing to do with the agility, but more to do with the fact that cyberarms don't have issues with muscle jump and getting tired and wobbling due to uncomfortable positions.

a cyberarm has a strength of 3, average, the "wobbly" nature of the arm is due to strength, and nerves not "muscle jump."
you also take into account a cyberarm has pain sensors that translate damage data into a pain sense to simulate a real arm. it's going to function almost exactly like a real arm,
if you give into the theory that it does give a more stable firing platform you have to then give recoil reduction due to high strength characters.
when you do that you'll fall back to the old SR3 days where the team was all trolls with HMG's
eidolon
In the "old" SR3 days the team was all trolls with HMGs?
Marmot
QUOTE (djinni @ Dec 13 2006, 11:14 AM)
when you do that you'll fall back to the old SR3 days where the team was all trolls with HMG's

All of them firing around corners because they have guncams and smartlinks.

Ah, the good old days!

Edit: To be fair, some of those trolls had cyberarms, Panther Assault Cannons, and/or Vindicator Miniguns.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (djinni)
a cyberarm has a strength of 3, average, the "wobbly" nature of the arm is due to strength, and nerves not "muscle jump."
you also take into account a cyberarm has pain sensors that translate damage data into a pain sense to simulate a real arm. it's going to function almost exactly like a real arm,
if you give into the theory that it does give a more stable firing platform you have to then give recoil reduction due to high strength characters.

Hold out your arm. Try and keep your hand absolutely still.

See that slight twitch you get? I'm taking about that. The slight muscle twitch back and forth that a meat arm has. The one that makes it hard to keep a sight on target. you get that twitch regardless of what strength you might have.

A machine? Going to sit there and not move. Again, regardless of what strength rating it might have. Unless the load is simply greater than it can hold, it's not going to twitch or move or anything without being told to.

It's possible I have a different idea on how cyberlimbs are supposed to be like, but to me someone with heavy cyber is going to have a similar stability as an automated firing platform.

As for simulated pain, it's there to let you know if something's been damaged. I seriously doubt you would have the system simulate simple fatigue from holding a weapon. Why would you? You'd be giving up on a major advantage of cyberlimbs.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
As for simulated pain, it's there to let you know if something's been damaged. I seriously doubt you would have the system simulate simple fatigue from holding a weapon. Why would you? You'd be giving up on a major advantage of cyberlimbs.

as is always the case however you do it in your game is fine, because you all like it. I'm not the best example of your situation anyway since I can hold my hand perfectly still for up to half an hour outstretched.
also the adrenaline tremble is not enough to miss your target. most firing is done from the hip, also firing around a corner it is common sense you would use the corner to brace your weapon, no tremble.
giving up a major advantage? stop thinking of it as a combat system and start thinking of it as a replacement for accident victims. that's the technology it's not designed to make people invincible or painless, it's designed to be an arm. if you keep you thoughts in your game as has been pointed out you'd have to give them the same recoil reduction of the stable firing platform. which isn't bad for your game just pointing it out. they removed those rules before because they were unbalancing even though they made sense.
KarmaInferno
Half an hour? Most folks can't go 5 seconds without twitching slightly.

I'm not talking about sudden jerks or gross movement that might result from adrenaline. I'm talking the fine motor adjustments you constantly have, like 1/100th of an inch movements. Not enough to notice in most cases but definitely enough to throw your aim off. A large part of accuracy issues stem from the shooter fighting his own body movements in order to keep the weapon still and on target.

These twitchy body movements that a machine simply won't have. The books themselves have in the past referred to this, how you can spot a cyberarm because it's unnaturally still.

As for arm replacement vs combat system, I'm going to hazard a guess that for someone who engages in combat on a regular basis, a runner might find it advantageous to have a combat system in a firefight. And there will almost certainly be both combat-purposed arms and simple replacement-purposed arms manufactured. It just makes sense. I'm going to guess that most cybered runners will elect to purchase a combat-purposed cyberlimb rather than a civilian replacement unit.

Maybe you might have a "live arm" software simulators that add in the unconscious movements, subtle sensations, and the like that a real arm has, but in a firefight? Shut it off, please. That's the advantage of metal over meat.

QUOTE (djinni)
most firing is done from the hip

Whuh?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (djinni)
most firing is done from the hip

Whuh?

I think this means, "In typical Shadowrun firefights, most firing is done from the hip, as in no aim actions are taken, not necessarily with the weapon proximal to the pelvis."
But I could be wrong.
eidolon
Possibly. It would make more, if not total, sense than if meant to apply in general.

Although I'd wonder how many players/groups routinely bother saying exactly how their character is firing, beyond "I use a take aim action on X" and "I shoot him, remember I have SL and etc. etc".
djinni
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
I'm not talking about sudden jerks or gross movement that might result from adrenaline. I'm talking the fine motor adjustments you constantly have, like 1/100th of an inch movements. Not enough to notice in most cases but definitely enough to throw your aim off.

if it's not enough to notice, it's not going to throw your aim off.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (djinni @ Dec 13 2006, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 13 2006, 01:04 PM)
I'm not talking about sudden jerks or gross movement that might result from adrenaline. I'm talking the fine motor adjustments you constantly have, like 1/100th of an inch movements. Not enough to notice in most cases but definitely enough to throw your aim off.

if it's not enough to notice, it's not going to throw your aim off.

Have you ever aimed a gun before? Seriously.

Those normally unnoticeable movements? Can cause you to completely miss your target.

You aim a gun at a target, say, 10 yards away. Your aiming reticle will drift back and forth across your target, never staying still. I don't care who you are, if you're human this happens. The drifting is caused by minute shifts in muscular movement.

I used to be on my high school's rifle team. Even with all the breathing exercises, even with all the heavy stabilizing gear, hitting the bulls-eye was as much about timing the drifting movement, so you squeezed the trigger right when your aim drifts across the target, as it was about actually aiming.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 13 2006, 02:48 PM)
Even with all the breathing exercises, even with all the heavy stabilizing gear, hitting the bulls-eye was as much about timing the drifting movement, so you squeezed the trigger right when your aim drifts across the target, as it was about actually aiming.

From an information processing perspective, dealing with this is one of the easiest things to make something like a smartlink system through a direct neural interface - assuming that the smartlink allows you to mentally designate a target in your field of view. It's not entirely clear in Shadowrun if this is a smartlink function or a tactical computer function - it seems pretty trivial to require a tactical computer.

Bah... now I'm pissed off at smartlink being +2 dice instead of -2 TN again. A good computer targetting system is going to be *significantly* more valuable in hitting a target than the difference between a month and a year of practice - especially if the thing has a direct neural interface.

Even if the smartlink system doesn't let you designate targets, it's going to be way easier to coordinate a DNI trigger pull with almost instant response time rather than the whole nerves -> finger data path.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
QUOTE (djinni)

Hold out your arm. Try and keep your hand absolutely still.

See that slight twitch you get? I'm taking about that. The slight muscle twitch back and forth that a meat arm has. The one that makes it hard to keep a sight on target. you get that twitch regardless of what strength you might have.

A machine? Going to sit there and not move. Again, regardless of what strength rating it might have. Unless the load is simply greater than it can hold, it's not going to twitch or move or anything without being told to.

It's possible I have a different idea on how cyberlimbs are supposed to be like, but to me someone with heavy cyber is going to have a similar stability as an automated firing platform.

The problem with this is, you're comparing a meat arm with a brain control system to a metal arm with a silicon control system.
You should be comparing it to a metal arm with a brain control system. Those errors that you're talking about are not 100% due to the arm, part of those errors are coming from the control system, the lower brain, which is still very much in effect.
Coordination could get better with a stable cyberarm, since the muscle errors would go away (buy a high agility cyberarm) but the majority of the errors are coming from the brain, so it won't be an automated firing platform.
Chandon
I don't know if we ever really want to stat up a well designed cyborg firing platform. I'd really want to just go with "The cyborg firing platform rolls Intuition. If it doesn't critical glitch, it adds 10 hits."

Calculating a ballistic trajectory and the optimal servo movements to position the gun just isn't a hard problem with SR-level technology. Hell, if you ignore the target designation problem, it's not a hard problem with *today's* technology at small-arms ranges.
kzt
QUOTE (Chandon)
I don't know if we ever really want to stat up a well designed cyborg firing platform. I'd really want to just go with "The cyborg firing platform rolls Intuition. If it doesn't critical glitch, it adds 10 hits."

Calculating a ballistic trajectory and the optimal servo movements to position the gun just isn't a hard problem with SR-level technology. Hell, if you ignore the target designation problem, it's not a hard problem with *today's* technology.

As long as you don't mind combat scenes like the motie warriors in "Mote in God's Eye".

"Yet every time a Warrior fired, a Warrior died. There had not been all that much gunfire, yet two thirds of the Warriors in sight were dead."
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Chandon)

Calculating a ballistic trajectory and the optimal servo movements to position the gun just isn't a hard problem with SR-level technology. Hell, if you ignore the target designation problem, it's not a hard problem with *today's* technology at small-arms ranges.

If it's a robot arm with a computerized control system, just use the drone rules.
But then if that's the case there's no reason to waste any effort trying to graft it onto meat, if you're just giving it commands in captain's chair mode anyway.
mfb
most of my quals, i scored 35-38. my crowning moment of achievement was when i scored a perfect 40/40 with my M-16. the next day, they made me trade my rifle for a SAW. i was displeased.

re: supported pistol fire around corners as outlined by OneTrikPony. i still don't see this as being anywhere near as accurate as standard in-front-of-your-eyes pistol shooting. because the stance you described takes time to get into--time that i would assess as "take aim" actions that offset the base penalty for firing around a corner in the first place. the stance you describe is workable, but what if you were trying to draw and fire around the corner in roughly the same amount of time it takes to draw and fire at a target you can see with your own eyes? i simply don't see how an around-the-corner snapshot--and that's the base concept we're discussing, here, since that's what a singe simple action spent firing around a corner would be--could possibly be as accurate as a regular snapshot. you want to take a good supported position and time your breathing, sure, you could probably hit your target--but that's cheating, since a guy doing a regular snapshot doesn't get to take that kind of time to improve his accuracy.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Chandon @ Dec 13 2006, 03:20 PM)

If it's a robot arm with a computerized control system, just use the drone rules.
But then if that's the case there's no reason to waste any effort trying to graft it onto meat, if you're just giving it commands in captain's chair mode anyway.

Now there's an idea revisited. Rigging your own body for greater combat effectiveness.

biggrin.gif

Personally my players almost never describe to me exactly how they are firing, for one simple reason. They and myself are all former Marines. I was a rifle pistol instructor, and competed on the Camp Geiger School of Infantry Rifle Team. Describing instinctive firing techniques, using microterrain, bracing, and aiming for longer shots is second nature to myself and them discussing it in full descriptive detail is often glossed over.

Another trend I have noticed on this thread is that some people seem to think that instant firing is a beautiful thing. Sorry it is not when that hammer strikes and there is a kaboom you want to be surprised. Knowing exactly when it is going to go off results in anticipation, which results in tensed muscles and missed shots.

In regards to cyber arms well you may be able to lock the arm but if it is attached to meat chances are it is still going move because of your breathing.

Lastly for Karma Inferno you are speaking about the natural respiratory pause.

A stable firing position will generally result in an up down motion through the iron sights or scope, as you exhale you begin aiming somewhere between being out of breath and not you reach a natural pause where you are not breathing out as quickly. It is during this period that the trigger begins to get squeezed (not pulling because pulling will result in a high right or high left shot) as you simultaneously finalize your sight picture and sight alignment. Boom surprise and hit target.

When firing quickly in Shadowrun I assume there was an attempt at going through the process. Personally I can usually get off 2 shots in 3-4 seconds while aiming, after bringing the weapon up from a ready/alert position (essentially pointing at the ground in front of you your arms extended at a 45 degree angle in relationship to your torso). This performance is about standard for a semi auto in SR. A beginner should be able to do this, how accurate they are is a different matter. In my mind a smartgun essentially assists the process, but it in no way allows you to throw the basics out the window.
mfb
QUOTE (Chandon @ Dec 13 2006, 03:20 PM)

making a firing platform that doesn't miss isn't, i wouldn't think, the problem. a drone with 6 pilot, 6 sharpshooter, and some targeting gadgets (smartlink, recoil comp) will be able to hit just about anything you put in front of it. one assumes that this will be even more true once Arsenal comes out.

the problem is making a platform that does that and all the other things that a human body is supposed to be able to do. how's your Robocopware supposed to tell the difference between an involuntary muscle twitch and the start of a dodge out of the way of incoming fire?
Moon-Hawk
edit: sorry, this was in response to KarmaInferno's quote of me above.

Yeah, but
QUOTE (Me)

If you want a computer controlled robotic stable firing platform, get a drone. It's cheaper, and safer.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (mfb)
a drone with 6 pilot, 6 sharpshooter, and some targeting gadgets (smartlink, recoil comp) will be able to hit just about anything you put in front of it.

[nitpick]Aren't autosofts limited to rating 4?[/nitpick]
mfb
QUOTE (Faelan)
In my mind a smartgun essentially assists the process, but it in no way allows you to throw the basics out the window.

this sums up what i feel about smartlinks, guncams, and the like. having a computer that tells you where the bullet will go if you pull the trigger at any given moment does nothing except remove the need to have bumpy things on the top of your barrel. making a bullet travel from your gun to your target is a precise process which can be thrown off by the tiniest errors. aiming--lining up your weapon such that it will throw a bullet into the face of someone you dislike--is only one part of that process.
djinni
QUOTE (mfb)
aiming--lining up your weapon such that it will throw a bullet into the face of someone you dislike--is only one part of that process.

pull the trigger on your pistol...
now in between the time that the hammer strikes the shell, move the pistol BEFORE the bullet exits the barrel.
Konsaki
Easy, its called jerking the trigger... or breathing during the shot... or a gust of wind moving your arm at the wrong moment... or the list can go on and on about the many ways your aim can be moved just a little in that slight instance. Hell, the bullet traveling down the barrel causes movement...
mfb
easy enough to do, if you're already moving the pistol even as you squeeze the trigger--which most people do, to greater or lesser degrees, every time they take a shot. holding your entire body perfectly still is a difficult feat.
kzt
QUOTE (djinni)
now in between the time that the hammer strikes the shell, move the pistol BEFORE the bullet exits the barrel.

Easy. As the gun goes off look at the target rather than the sights instead of following through. You'll pull off, left and down in my case. There are loads of ways to screw up shooting.
eidolon
Of course, one could always just say "the SL system takes that kind of stuff into account". In the end, any amount of description of fluff is only support for the fact that the SL gives +2 dice (or -x TN, per earlier editions).

I guess it all just comes down to the level to which you wish to dissect abstractions from the system. I mean, I have my ways of dealing with the original question of firing around corners (other thread), but someone that doesn't care about the possible differences between firing normally and firing around a corner, or stances, etc. won't care about most of them.
Chandon
mfb

If the smartlink says you're pointing at the target, and you make the gun shoot, the bullet is going to hit the target. Having a DNI interface instead of a mechanical trigger is huge - it gets of a whole bunch of opportunity to screw things up.

Based on the fact that a smartlink only provides a +2 dice bonus, I have to assume that it's not doing a lot of the assisted aim stuff that it easily could be doing, but it's still pretty powerful.

To get a sense of it, find yourself a laser pointer and point it at stuff. Now, Imagine that you can instantaneously make a bullet hit right where the dot is with a mental command - faster than pulling even a hair trigger. There will be recoil after that, but by the time that matters the bullet will have already hit where the dot was when you fired.

With a smartlink, the skill test represents two things: can you get the dot where you want it and can you tell the gun to shoot when the dot is there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012