Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firing around corners
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 13 2006, 04:02 PM)
aiming--lining up your weapon such that it will throw a bullet into the face of someone you dislike--is only one part of that process.

pull the trigger on your pistol...
now in between the time that the hammer strikes the shell, move the pistol BEFORE the bullet exits the barrel.

Now I KNOW you have no real world experience with firearms.

Guess what? When you are using a firearm, it's ALWAYS in motion. Even when you think you're holding it perfectly still, it's moving a micro-fraction of an inch back and forth.

Some of it's the muscles in your arm tightening and relaxing to maintain the position. Some of it's your breathing. Some of it is you pulling the trigger back. And the powder detonation. And the bullet traveling down the barrel. And the wind pushing on you. And so on.

When you squeeze the trigger, the pistol is ALWAYS moving before the bullet exits the barrel. The trick is to mitigate the effects of the movement, either by reducing the movement directly or pre-adjusting your aim to account for it.

My original point was that a heavily cybered character, not having a number of the problems that a meat body will have in regards to that movement, might inherently have a slightly easier time aiming. Including in situations where awkward positioning is involved, like aiming around corners.

QUOTE (Chandon)
If the smartlink says you're pointing at the target, and you make the gun shoot, the bullet is going to hit the target. Having a DNI interface instead of a mechanical trigger is huge - it gets of a whole bunch of opportunity to screw things up.

yes, it does. but it doesn't get rid of everything. anything from breathing to blinking at the wrong time to anticipating the recoil can still throw off your aim. not to mention moving targets, and not to mention...

QUOTE (Chandon)
To get a sense of it, find yourself a laser pointer and point it at stuff. Now, Imagine that you can instantaneously make a bullet hit right where the dot is with a mental command - faster than pulling even a hair trigger. There will be recoil after that, but by the time that matters the bullet will have already hit where the dot was when you fired.

...this. this is a huge part of it. problem one: you can't instantaneously make the bullet hit the target. as i said above, even if you're only thinking to make the weapon cycle, you can still breathe or blink or twitch just wrong and screw up your aim. problem two, and this is the big one: you can't necessarily keep your aim perfectly on-target long enough to think "shoot" every time, especially at longer ranges. why? because your targeting apparatus is really small, and your target is really small, and your movement increment is pretty big. it's like trying to click a two-pixel-wide button with your mouse pointer, when your mouse jumps 4-6 pixels with every tiny adjustment.
eidolon
Keep it chill, guys.

Remember, there's nothing "wrong" with not having personal experience with something in the game. I'd warrant that for every person that has personal experience with firearms, there's a person that has personal experience with network security, remote control vehicles, etc. There's always something you don't know about, and that's not something to be ashamed of (or attempt to make someone ashamed of), regardless of the fact that "internet awesomeness" culture says otherwise. wink.gif

I know it's easy to get worked up when you're talking about subjects that you feel strongly about, but remember that it's a game, and we play it for enjoyment.
Kesslan
On the cyberlimb issue, I could sort of agree it's more stable. I say sort of because one limb on its own, wont really be more stable by any notable degree. It's still attached to flesh, even if it were attached to a cybertorso, that torso is also attached to flesh.

Ok so what if you go full borg? Now you've got as little meat left as robocop. Well.. then maybe. The fact that it's all DNI controlled will have an effect, but now all that movement from breathing and such might be gone, depends really on how exactly a cybertorso is designed. If it has the range of motion a normal rib cage has then it will likely move when you breath as well.

But really thats a sort of sub issue to the present discussion. Keep in mind that a 'combat turn' is only as the book says, roughly 3 seconds in time. In that your guaranteed at least one initative pass, which is one action ever 1.5 seconds. If your using enhanced reflexes that goes up to one action every 0.375 seconds (Assuming your boosted to 4 init passes).

When your using your own eyes you've got very little else to concentrate on. And in 1.5 seconds time I could arguably see a trained marksman able to line up a shot rather easily to the main body even of some one at some distance away. Throw in all these fun reaction enhancements etc, maybe explain away the experience as time sort of slowing down and then it's not too much of a streatch to evne expect them to do that several times within the space of 3 seconds.

But that again is totally different from suddenly swinging your gun around the corner and popping off shots at targets your not directly seeing. Using a guncam, sure your seeing a target, but it's still in an indirect form no matter how many aids it's giving you. Personally I just dont see it being -quite- as good as your own eyes. Especially no matter how you look at it there -is- going to be a slight reduction to your range of vision at that point.

Thats i'm sure the real reason why recoil comp only counts as a 'pool' thats used up across the entire combat round as opposed to across the initative passes. Your pulling the trigger so fast your gunbarrel is continualy being pulled up from recoil. Sure your compensating for some of that yourself but your not able to compensate for -all- of it with your own body. Now imagine popping off 4 shots around a corner within the space of 0.75 seconds while looking through the camera of the same gun your firing out of. This is going to make your actual view, jerky as all hell and burst fire will only make it even worse.
Chandon
QUOTE (Kesslan)
But that again is totally different from suddenly swinging your gun around the corner and popping off shots at targets your not directly seeing. Using a guncam, sure your seeing a target, but it's still in an indirect form no matter how many aids it's giving you. Personally I just dont see it being -quite- as good as your own eyes. Especially no matter how you look at it there -is- going to be a slight reduction to your range of vision at that point.

There's no technical reason why image quality and field of view of a guncamera can't be strictly better than one human eye - or even both eyes. The human eye is arguably worse than a present day digital camera, much less a futuristic video camera that can easily have a shit load of post-capture processing.

The only thing that you can't replicate is binocular depth perception - and that's way overrated for firing a gun. (I personally have no binocular depth perception - this makes me suck at tennis, not shooting a gun).
Kesslan
QUOTE (Chandon)
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 13 2006, 11:49 PM)

There's no technical reason why image quality and field of view of a guncamera can't be strictly better than one human eye - or even both eyes. The human eye is arguably worse than a present day digital camera, much less a futuristic video camera that can easily have a shit load of post-capture processing.

The only thing that you can't replicate is binocular depth perception - and that's way overrated for firing a gun. (I personally have no binocular depth perception - this makes me suck at tennis, not shooting a gun).

Well it depends on how you look at the SR tech. To me the 2070 stuff is largely just a refinement of 2060's tech with a few actual jumps of all new stuff here and there.

There are theories around that would support such happening as well. A certain technical level is reached that cant be gone beyond untill another major break through happens. SO in the meantime all you have is a refinment of existing technologies. For example. In SR you have Night vision. Goggles - Cybereyes - contact lenses - contact lenses with NV, flare compensation and other mods.

To me at least smartlinks are somewhat the same, SL1 - SL2 - SL3 (SR4's SL)

As for the field of view and whats actually possible with that and camera technology even today. I'm certainly no expert on it, and I can only base my judgement on what little of it I -do- know. And I've yet to be at all impressed with image quality or field of view of anything short of an actual handheld camera (Though they are getting a good deal smaller, the actual lenses havent shrunk as much on the higher end cameras as far as I can tell)

Chandon
So... the question becomes "In 65 years, are we going to be able to get the lens sizes down and the frame rates up on digital cameras?" I'm going to have to put my money on yes.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Chandon)
So... the question becomes "In 65 years, are we going to be able to get the lens sizes down and the frame rates up on digital cameras?" I'm going to have to put my money on yes.

Well yes, obviously to one extent or another. I mean I do assume improvements, clear pictures as opposed to grainy (And SR3 vs SR4 actually shows this as you no longer have 'augmented NV' and 'Natrual NV' with th elatter being better, you just have NV)

To me though the main improvements come in the fact that it's cheaper and easier to fit more optical enhancements to the same package, slightly improved balistics computation, intergrated range finding (As upposed to SR3's seperate) etc. It doesnt really change the fact that in the end I'm viewing a screen, even if that screen is now located inside my eye.

Even assumign the quality is better than the human eye. That doesnt change the fact that when yoru poking your gun around the corner and pulling the trigger, using the camera on the end aone, your vision is going to shake like crazy. When your using your natrual eyes, the recoil is purely in your hand/arm etc. Short of using 'really big guns' your actual LOS and vision arnt affected at all.

The camera on the end of the gun on the other hand is goign to have more wobble from now being held in your hand. And it WILL swing about rather wildly the moment you start firing. So even then it's -still- nowhere near as good as using your own eyes, and it still lacks depth perception. So it can get close perhaps but again still not -quite- as good as a pair of eyes (Cybernetic or otherwise)
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Chandon)
Calculating a ballistic trajectory and the optimal servo movements to position the gun just isn't a hard problem with SR-level technology. Hell, if you ignore the target designation problem, it's not a hard problem with *today's* technology at small-arms ranges.

The problem of shooting isn't just being able to put the bullet wherever you want 100% of the time.

It's just as much knowing where the target is going to be when the bullet arrives.

A target moving in a non-deterministic manner turns this into something that computers are no better at solving than a human.

Just sayin'.
mfb
QUOTE (Chandon @ Dec 14 2006, 01:20 AM)

there's kinesthetics to consider. no matter how much better quality a guncam is than the mk1 eyeball, it's still a different point of reference than your own eyes. that's one reason i don't see guncams being the default POV for smartlink use--you'd constantly be tripping over every little obstacle in your way. plus the lack of steadiness Kesslan mentioned. it's hard enough to line up a shot when it's just the gun and the target that are moving; trying to do it when your own POV is moving? yeesh.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (mfb)
it's hard enough to line up a shot when it's just the gun and the target that are moving; trying to do it when your own POV is moving? yeesh.

Well, I'd expect that by 2070, training with a smartlink in FPS mode would probably be SOP. I bet it would be hard as hell for someone with a skill ranking of 1 or 2, but by the time you got up to 5 or 6, I would expect it to be second nature.

Also, overlaying it as a separate "screen" in AR would make it possible to view it like a HUD, so that you can see what's going on in the real world and still have good control over things.
Konsaki
So you are saying smartlink shouldnt count until you are the best of the best?
Eben McKay
Looking at the magesight "targetting through optics" modifier of -3, I find a quick and easy way of dealing with the firing around corners question. -3 dice for targetting through a remote device and suffering the "tunnel vision" that grants, in return for total cover (except maybe the hand). No smartlink bonus, either. Recoil I'd leave alone (could brace the gun on the wall to offset awkward position), but no stock/shock pad bonus.

It's clean, it's simple, and it's workable. New house rule!

As for the "firing from cover" penalty of -1: the way I read it, that modifier only applies to someone who hides behind cover until their action, then pops up, hoses down the place with lead, and pops back behind cover. Such a person would claim whatever cover they had found EXCEPT when shooting, at which point an opponent who had delayed his/her action could try to shoot at them when they're unprotected.

mfb
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Well, I'd expect that by 2070, training with a smartlink in FPS mode would probably be SOP. I bet it would be hard as hell for someone with a skill ranking of 1 or 2, but by the time you got up to 5 or 6, I would expect it to be second nature.

i expect it would be, too. i expect that extra training counts as more skill points, which offsets the negative penalty that firing around a corner should incur.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Eben McKay)
Looking at the magesight "targetting through optics" modifier of -3, I find a quick and easy way of dealing with the firing around corners question. -3 dice for targetting through a remote device and suffering the "tunnel vision" that grants, in return for total cover (except maybe the hand). No smartlink bonus, either. Recoil I'd leave alone (could brace the gun on the wall to offset awkward position), but no stock/shock pad bonus.

It's clean, it's simple, and it's workable. New house rule!

As for the "firing from cover" penalty of -1: the way I read it, that modifier only applies to someone who hides behind cover until their action, then pops up, hoses down the place with lead, and pops back behind cover. Such a person would claim whatever cover they had found EXCEPT when shooting, at which point an opponent who had delayed his/her action could try to shoot at them when they're unprotected.

I like this.
mfb
considering that it equals the (sigh) hilariously small modifier for long range, i suppose it's fair.

re: cover, i think it applies regardless of whether or not you're 'popping out' or just firing while most of your body is concealed. if you get the cover modifier to be hit, you get the cover penalty to your shots.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 14 2006, 10:54 AM)
i expect it would be, too. i expect that extra training counts as more skill points, which offsets the negative penalty that firing around a corner should incur.

Yeah, what I'm kind of getting at is that the penalty should be large enough to severely hamper a skill level 1 or 2 and have negligible to little impact on a skill level 5-6.

IE, -1 or maybe -2 modifier. -3 at the very most.

EDIT: Note that I am not saying to negate the smartlink modifier also; a net modifier of +1 to -1 would be appropriate, IMO. Probably a 0 net modifier, IMO.
djinni
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 13 2006, 06:40 PM)

read what I'm saying before you insult me again, it makes you look stupid, I wasn't talking about unconscious motion, I was talking about conscious motion. a purposeful thought to jerk the pistol after it has been fired and before the bullet leaves the end of the barrel, not the motions before the pistol is fired that move the aim of target. I'll explain things better next time instead of assuming common sense knowledge to the readers though...
Chandon
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Dec 14 2006, 04:25 AM)
It's just as much knowing where the target is going to be when the bullet arrives.

The target's going to be right where it was when the bullet left the gun, unless we're talking about shots at well over 100 meters. Bullets move pretty quickly, and meat - or even metal - has inertia to deal with.

Dodging, or your "non-deterministic movements", only matters if it can prevent the attacker from lining up the weapon and getting the trigger pull timing right. If the gun is pointed in the right direction when the trigger gets pulled (or at least "when the bullet fires"), the target's been shot.

Remember that computers can easily deal with making decisions in miliseconds today, and if you have properly designed mechanical bits, they can work damn fast too.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (djinni @ Dec 14 2006, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 13 2006, 06:40 PM)

read what I'm saying before you insult me again, it makes you lookl stupid, I wasn't talking about unconcious motion, I was taling about concious motion. a purposful thought to jerk the pistol after it has been fired and before the bullet leaves the end of the barrel, not the motions before the pistol is fired that move the aim of target. I'll explain things better next time instead of assuming common sense knowledge to the readers though...

If people are having trouble understanding your posts, it's not necessarily their fault.
You might consider spell-check, capitalization, and perhaps even an afterthought to punctuation and grammar.
A little bit of time spent on making posts clear saves a lot of time spent arguing over their meaning, in my experience.
I'm not trying to be a grammar-nazi (even though I realize I am), but I find myself with little sympathy for people who's posts are misunderstood when it is apparent that they have put no effort into writing clearly.
[/nazi]

edit: Sorry to edit things in at the end, but I just wanted to make it clear that by no means do I expect perfection, I merely request effort. My posts are certainly not perfect.
mfb
QUOTE (djinni)
read what I'm saying before you insult me again, it makes you look stupid, I wasn't talking about unconscious motion, I was talking about conscious motion. a purposeful thought to jerk the pistol after it has been fired and before the bullet leaves the end of the barrel, not the motions before the pistol is fired that move the aim of target. I'll explain things better next time instead of assuming common sense knowledge to the readers though...

perhaps you could explain what being able to consciously re-aim your weapon after you pull the trigger but before the bullet leaves the barrel has to do with the discussion. it's got nothing to do with anything anyone in this thread has said, that i can think of. because, seriously? based on your previous post, it really does sound like you've never fired a gun before.
djinni
QUOTE (mfb)
perhaps you could explain what being able to consciously re-aim your weapon after you pull the trigger but before the bullet leaves the barrel has to do with the discussion. it's got nothing to do with anything anyone in this thread has said, that i can think of. because, seriously? based on your previous post, it really does sound like you've never fired a gun before.

I never said re-aim, it's not re-aiming after firing, you can't move the pistol fast enough to throw off your aim after you've fired it. that's the point, the small minute details everyone is bringing up as proof of an unstable firing platform aren't things that need to be concerned with.
the only time breathing and a gust of wind etc, throw off your aim is when you stand and fire like you are at a shooting range. not in an exchange of fire where both sides are taking cover and using lucky shots in an attempt to gain an advantage.
just like in a fist fight, the people who adhere to the strict rigors of training are the ones that don't win in the end. someone who fires a gun in a real situation exactly like they did at the shooting range is going to get shot first because they are an easy target.
rifles however are completely different style of shooting. due to the increase in range, accuracy, and stability is a huge advantage.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Chandon)
The target's going to be right where it was when the bullet left the gun, unless we're talking about shots at well over 100 meters.

Consider an MP5A5 firing a 124gr JHP at ~1250fps, averaging ~1200fps to 50 meters. Assuming the target is an adult human male in decent condition sprinting sideways, the shooter has to lead roughly one meter to hit.

Leading can be necessary at ranges well under 100 meters.
mfb
djinni, every pistol expert i've read about disagrees with you. the whole basis of the Weaver stance is that Weaver realized that one pretty quick, well-aimed shot is better than six really fast shots with no aiming at all.

consciously moving your weapon in the manner you're talking about has nothing to do with anything. trying to equate it to unconsciously moving your weapon is just silly. you're seriously making no sense at all. yes, you can move your weapon after you fire it but before the bullet leaves the barrel--you just can't do it on purpose. doing it on purpose isn't part of what's being discussed.

QUOTE (Chandon)
The target's going to be right where it was when the bullet left the gun, unless we're talking about shots at well over 100 meters. Bullets move pretty quickly, and meat - or even metal - has inertia to deal with.

i can easily track the movement of a bullet by the clouds of dust it kicks up as it passes through the low embankments that mark the 25, 50, and 75-yard targets at the firing range, when someone fires too low. sure, not well enough to dodge bullets after they're fired or anything. but if i'm walking at a decent rate, and you fire where i'm at instead of where i'm going, there's a decent chance you'll miss me. and that's with rifles; hanguns generally throw rounds even more slowly.
djinni
QUOTE (mfb)
djinni, every pistol expert i've read about disagrees with you. the whole basis of the Weaver stance is that Weaver realized that one pretty quick, well-aimed shot is better than six really fast shots with no aiming at all.

but that is not in a combat environment, that's in a controlled "shooting range" style situation. and I did not say that that particular stance is not a good one, or that a more stable platform allows you to fire at targets further away, but that's alot further then the average range of most encounters.
also on a side note a high powered pistol needs less aim than a low powered one, since a shot to the chest isn't really going to do that much damage, unless it breaks the ribcage.
so when firing say a .22 you'd shoot at the abdomen, or limbs instead of the head or chest, as you would with a 9mm or larger. the more powerful the weapon the less precision you need. the less you need to be in the perfect stance especially at those ranges
mfb
my whole argument is based on shooting further targets. i've already said that against targets 5-10m away, firing around a corner with a guncam is easily within the realm of possibility.

i still don't think that firing around a corner should be as easy as firing at a target in front of you, simply because of the way you have to contort your body (twisting your wrist in a different direction from your forearm, when shooting, counts as a contortion).
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Leading can be necessary at ranges well under 100 meters.

Heck, even if you're not leading, when you're tracking you're still anticipating where a moving target is going to be and moving your weapon along that anticipated path.

Which is exactly what I'm getting at: The computer may be flawless at putting the bullet where it wants it, but that doesn't imply it's any better at deciding where to put it.

QUOTE (Chandon)
Remember that computers can easily deal with making decisions in miliseconds today

Decision time is not the issue...

QUOTE (Chandon)
and if you have properly designed mechanical bits, they can work damn fast too.

(...) even metal - has inertia to deal with.  (...)

Physics is. Properly designed mechanical bits can work pretty fast, but the faster you want them to work, the higher the magnitude of an impulse you have to apply. The higher the magnitude you have to apply, the less control you have. The less control you have, the less accurate your placement.

Have you ever done a simple feedback motor control circuit? If you have, you know what I'm talking about. If you want it to move fast, you pretty much have to accept that it will have a damped oscillation around the target location. If you want it to be right the first time, you pretty much have to accept that it will move slow(er). And if your design pushes either too much, you will get an unstable circuit which is worse than either.

This system is probably going to be much slower than you think.
djinni
QUOTE (mfb)
my whole argument is based on shooting further targets. i've already said that against targets 5-10m away, firing around a corner with a guncam is easily within the realm of possibility.

okay I missed that through the 8 pages of comments,
yes I agree it should be more difficult but not to the real of adding in more modifiers, not gaining the +2 for using a smartlink since it is not an addition to your senses anymore (you are using only the guncam sense) in addition to the -1 for firing from cover seems quite acceptable in most on the fly situations.
and yes I can't hit a target more than 10 meters (35+ feet) without aiming not to even mention from around a corner.
eidolon
I'd say that the movement that can occur doesn't occur "between" you deciding to fire and the round exiting the barrel. It occurs during the firing process. That's why firearms training stresses things like stable position, breathing, trigger squeeze...hey...why does this sound familiar? silly.gif

Konsaki
I'm pretty sure that was brought up on page 1
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (djinni)
so when firing say a .22 you'd shoot at the abdomen, or limbs instead of the head or chest, as you would with a 9mm or larger.

Uh, if you say so.
eidolon
QUOTE (Konsaki)
I'm pretty sure that was brought up on page 1

Oh. I just meant because you hear it over and over in basic.
djinni
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (djinni)
so when firing say a .22 you'd shoot at the abdomen, or limbs instead of the head or chest, as you would with a 9mm or larger.

Uh, if you say so.

if you shoot someone in the chest most of the time they don't even need medical attention, aim for the groin and they'll bleed to death, the hips, or shoulder prevent them from moving too much, hit them in the abdomen and they might even die quickly. the neck is too small, and moves too much to aim at.
Austere Emancipator
So the thorax's got the spine, heart, pulmonary vessels, and liver, not to mention the aorta and all the major arteries separating from it, in one neat package, but you'd say the two main arteries in the groin, which carry much less blood than the arteries in the thorax, present so much better a target that you ought to go for them even though they make it more difficult to hit the target?

Unless wielding a handgun and faced with an opponent wearing body armor without groin protection, most people aware of what killing people with firearms is about would disagree with you.
Konsaki
[Aim for the groin]
Melee = Yes, viable tactic
Shooting = idiotic tactic...

You are aiming at some guy's dong which is behind loose pants and moves more than the guy's chest area... Hmm... shooting something the size of an apple (area) vs something the size of a barrel... yeah. Now if you are sitting right next to the guy on the train and pop one off into his groin, more power to you.

You know that shooting at center mass as a basic tactic right? Reason: Cause its easier to hit the target. There is also all that stuff they call internal organs, you know: heart, lungs or stomach, that will cause death if hit correctly with anything and not treated... Plus, on the upside, you have a chance at missing your target and hitting the arms, abdomen or head.
KarmaInferno
djinni, the whole point of mine that you were responding to was that there are subtle unconscious body movements all people have. That do, in fact, affect your aim.

Movements a cyber body would not have.

While I do apologize for my earlier tone, the assertion you made, "if it's not enough to notice, it's not going to throw your aim off.", is just flat out wrong. They do throw your aim off. Enough that at close ranges can spell the difference between a kill shot and merely a wound, and at farther ranges can make you miss entirely.

You are right in that you can't deliberately choose to move a gun between the time you pull the trigger and the bullet clears the barrel. Nobody has a reaction time that is fast enough for that. But I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. We're not talking about deliberately moving to throw aim off - I'm not sure where you're coming from there.

You CAN unconsciously move the gun in that space of time (like by jerking on the trigger instead of squeezing). Happens all the time in folks not taught the proper way to fire weapons.

--

Thinking on it, these subtle body movements might be things a cybered smartlink would already compensate for, which would help to explain the greater bonus from the implanted version vs an external smartlink system. So any bonus you might gain from inherent body stability probably shouldn't stack with an internal smartlink.

My other main contention is that firing around corners requires a position that would probably be uncomfortable for most meat bodies. Positions that, again, a cyber body would not find uncomfortable - if nothing else, a lack of sensory input there, or the ability to shut it off, is a blessing in this case. Hold a meat hand in an awkward position and before long the hand's owner will be feeling all sorts of strain and probably wobble his hand all over the place. A cyberarm owner might be able to hold that same position for hours without a bobble.

QUOTE (djinni)
if you shoot someone in the chest most of the time they don't even need medical attention, aim for the groin and they'll bleed to death, the hips, or shoulder prevent them from moving too much, hit them in the abdomen and they might even die quickly. the neck is too small, and moves too much to aim at.

Um. Okay. This is just silly.

Center mass. It's taught as the target of choice by every military and police force on the planet for a reason.

I think I'm done responding to djinni's posts. I was feeling bad about how harshly I responded to him yesterday, but not anymore.

If it wasnt for eidolon, I'm pretty sure there would be much worse being said to him resulting in some bans and threadlock...
lorechaser
I think that Djinni is assuming that the environment of a firefight is going to have a different set of parameters than a gun range, and that training will no longer matter as much as luck.

The rules don't bear that out so much - edge, unless it's obscenely high, and refreshes constantly, will only allow you to get a handful of successes. That might be enough, or might not be. Whereas a high dice pool (aka lots of training and natural skill) will result in a consistently high number of successess.

In real-world situations, I'm fairly sure that the idea is that you train enough that your actions become second nature. So that when you are in the field, and everything goes to hell, you are naturally using correct posture and positioning, and can then adjust to the fact that you're underneath a mud slide and someone is driving a car at you.

I'm pretty sure that's the idea behind most combat training. I know my miniscule experience with martial arts was focused on that - creating movements and reactions that were instinctual, so that they would apply in all situations.
djinni
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 14 2006, 04:27 PM)
djinni, the whole point of mine that you were responding to was that there are subtle unconscious body movements all people have. That do, in fact, affect your aim.

I was also referring to short range firing. which apparhently everyone else was talking about long range, which I agreed to, at along range will affect accuracy a great deal.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 14 2006, 04:31 PM)
Center mass. It's taught as the target of choice by every military and police force on the planet for a reason.

show me a standard issue .22 caliber machinegun...
center mass is taught because you are firing a large caliber weapon, as I said large caliber is better aimed at center mass.

also the groin area being on the hips doesn't move around as much as the neck, and has a larger area, incorporating the whole pelvis, in addition it is right next to the abdomen, all of which move around considerably less than the neck. which is why a neck shot is very hard to make. so again...for a small caliber weapon that does not pierce bone, a gut shot is the most lethal. but not for large caliber weapons
mfb
QUOTE (djinni)
yes I agree it should be more difficult but not to the real of adding in more modifiers, not gaining the +2 for using a smartlink since it is not an addition to your senses anymore (you are using only the guncam sense) in addition to the -1 for firing from cover seems quite acceptable in most on the fly situations.

i argued on the previous thread about this that the smartlink modifier should still be applied. i still think it should. the smartlink is still telling you where the bullet will go when you fire it, and it's still drawing that arc of fire in the field of vision you're using--in this case, your guncam view. i simply disagree that shooting someone around the corner using your guncam is as easy as shooting someone in front of you using your eyes.
Faelan
Sorry Djinni you are plain wrong. Caliber size and weapon type don't matter worth a damn. The reason we aim center mass regardless, is because quite simply when you factor in normal body movement, and adrenaline you want to aim and shoot at the most stable target. The most stable target is the abdominal region and torso. Your center of gravity is roughly your belly button. No matter what you do it will move less than the rest of your body. This equates to roughly half way down on most antropomorphic targets. This is center mass.

The reason most firefights result in shit loads of amo being wasted is because very few people have the guts to spend the extra second (literally) to ensure a kill.

As far as aiming at the groin, the only time you would do that is in a quickfire/instinctual firing drill at under 21 ft or 7 yards, firing from the hip (literally) in which case natural body positioning will dictate that naturally I am aiming at the hip level. In real life this presents itself when you have someone charging across a room at you with a knife, if you have trained properly you will hopefully slow then down to the where your extended non firing hand will take the damage before you unload oon them point blank in an exposed unprotected body part.

Ultimately it comes down to one thing, the fundamentals of shooting always apply regardless of the situation or gadgets. If you look at successful encounters almost invariably the individual with better, more intensive, and diverse training is the survivor. Otherwise we should just issue weapons to individuals and send them out to kill. You train how you fight, otherwise you die. If you throw out the fundamentals you die 9 times out of 10.
PBTHHHHT
What the? Well, at least I read what djinni wrote that Faelan was responding to (since deleted). For those that are wondering, he was saying how caliber size mattered where'd you hit. Something about gut shots and such and also how the large caliber shot won't immediately kill a person in the guts. I'm running by memory and such, but that part at the end of his post just confused me.
eidolon
Video games have done much to ensure that a lot of people think that firing a gun means head shots and tricks. Not that there's anything wrong with video games and such, but != reality.
Konsaki
Huh? eidolon, you mean I cant bounce a bullet off the lamp above someone and have it go straight down into their brain? silly.gif

In all seriousness, this guy has many people, who know what they are talking about, telling him that center mass is the best place to shoot unless you take the time to aim up with a proper gun and position (Sniper rifle anyone?) yet he continually spouts nonsense that makes us go, WTF?
KarmaInferno
Video games also usually poorly model how difficult keeping a steady aim really is.

I've seen, what, three-four first person shooters in all of gaming history that have included even some basic elementary sort of sighting model that accounts for operator twitchiness throwing aim off?

I was playing F.E.A.R. last night and actually thinking about this. While it's a blast to play, at a full run firing an assault rifle, while getting hammered by some nasty with a mini-gun, the aiming reticle stayed right where my mouse had it, no drifting at all.

I'd have to say video games these days would make someone who was otherwise untrained a WORSE shot with a real firearm, not a better one.

QUOTE (Konsaki)
In all seriousness, this guy has many people, who know what they are talking about, telling him that center mass is the best place to shoot unless you take the time to aim up with a proper gun and position (Sniper rifle anyone?) yet he continually spouts nonsense that makes us go, WTF?

they know what they are talking about in relation to the guns they shoot, larger caliber...most likely rifles, the kind where any hit is lethal, and center mass is the most likely to hit target, and so they refute anything that tells them otherwise.
they'll probably also tell you that if you fire a sniper rifle at a target underwater they'll hit the target.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Video games also usually poorly model how difficult keeping a steady aim really is.

I've seen, what, three-four first person shooters in all of gaming history that have included even some basic elementary sort of sighting model that accounts for operator twitchiness throwing aim off?

I was playing F.E.A.R. last night and actually thinking about this. While it's a blast to play, at a full run firing an assault rifle, while getting hammered by some nasty with a mini-gun, the aiming reticle stayed right where my mouse had it, no drifting at all.

I'd have to say video games these days would make someone who was otherwise untrained a WORSE shot with a real firearm, not a better one.

Which is a good thing for when they go bonkers and go out shooting at people in real life. They aren't as good of a shot as they think they are...
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (djinni)
they know what they are talking about in relation to the guns they shoot, larger caliber...most likely rifles, the kind where any hit is lethal, and center mass is the most likely to hit target, and so they refute anything that tells them otherwise.
they'll probably also tell you that if you fire a sniper rifle at a target underwater they'll hit the target.

Right there, do you know what size calibers are for rifles and the size of the ammunition for pistols? Have you actually placed them by each other and compared?
Austere Emancipator
It's not like a .22 LR solid or most combat loads for a .38 Special or .380 ACP can't hammer their way right through a ribcage. Plus calling 9x19mm (for handguns) and 5.56x45mm NATO (for rifles) "large caliber" is a bit misleading -- these are among the least energetic calibers in which combat firearms are made.

QUOTE (djinni)
most likely rifles, the kind where any hit is lethal [...]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012