Magic-4
Sheilding-6
CounterSpelling-6
Will-6
Roll:
5,4,2,6,6,6,5,6,5,4,1,1,1,2,5,6,6,6,5,3,4,5= 12 Net success's

Burn a point of Edge to go first
fistandantilus4.0
edit: resisted the second spell Go for init.
SinN
Turn my attentions to Rho, while hes distracted with Holder. Breathe fire directly on him.

Exotic range-6
agility-8 In drake form
Edge-7
Total: 15 dice

Roll
6,6,4,1,6,5,5,6,2,3,6,6= 8 net success's net success
fistandantilus4.0
6 sucesses w/ Edge on dodge

Resists vs 14 boes P

Resisted 9 boxes , takes 5

Michaels, still intent on Holder, barely reacts in time, and screams as flames wash over him. He whips around, obviously in pain, and on fire, and blasts off a spell at the Hood-drake.

Force 16 Acid Stream+ 4 mana surge = Force 20

Magic 12+ Spellcasting 5+ (S) combat spells 2+ Edge+Power foci 6-3 wounds-2 for sustaining spell = 20
12 successes

Roll Reaction first to negate successes, then roll resistance against remainder with Body + 1/2 Impact armor + Counterspelling/shielding - agony modifiers and wound modifiers.
SinN
Reaction-7
Dodge-5
-6 for agony
Edge-7
Roll
1,6,6,5,6,5,5,6,4,3,5,6,2-9 Success's!!!!!
fistandantilus4.0
Michaels grunts from the drain. Holder, still watching, sees blood spurt form his nose and ears. But he's still standing, and casting at the Hood-thing.
SinN
Body=12
1/2 body armor-4
magic-4
Counterspelling-6
Sheilding-6
-6 for agony
total=25 dice
Roll:6,6,6,5,6,6,5,6,4,3,2,1,1,1,4,3,5,5,6,5,5,4,5,6,6
Exploding 6's= 3,3,1,5,5,6,5,4,5
Exploding 6= 4
total=21 success's
Callidus
What the hell do I do now? Michaels tried to kill me, Hood isn't even trying to explain or calm things down.... and they shrug off everything I throw.... Frag it, I'll have to try and take them both down and then sort this out later.... concentrate....

Repeating the motions of moments ago Holder throws another ball of light blue energy at the fighting pair

And then screams in pain as the spell detonates with all the force of a water balloon.... except in Holder's battered body

Casting Stunball again

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
The spell surges to an incredible force as it blasts out of Holder's control, slamming in to Hood and Michaels. Michaels, having learned his lesson, throws up a shield.

12 successes , he blocks it easily this time.
Hood's action
fistandantilus4.0
Diego fires again on Hood
Shot long burst w/ 9 successes.

Roll Reaction to dodge

Esla runs forward , screaming at the top of her lungs.

Stop! Stop this stop this stop this! This is madness! Stop th....

Elsa stops screaming just short of the pool. Michael sees Elsa draw her knife, and ram it home directly in to her thoat. She's perectly calm for one terriftiyng moment. She jerks it hard, tearing her throat apart. Then reason returns. For one terrifying instant, her eyes lock with Michaels, wide and full of terror. She can't scream with the knife through her throat.

Silently ,she falls in to the water.
Callidus
The world seems to slow and narrow down to the point where Holder can only see the horrifying sight of Dr.Patrick's attack on herself.

NOOOOO! ESLA NOOOOOO!

He doesn't even see the combat carrying on, or that he has started running towards her a spell already forming in his mind.
SinN
Holders stunball
Magic=4
Will=6
Roll
5,5,4,3,1,1,6,6,5,2= 5 net success's

Deigos Gunfire
Reaction=7
Edge-7 ( 1 more)
Roll
5,5,6,4,1,1,1,2,1,5,5,6,6,6= 8 success's

Damage roll
Body=12
1/2 body armor=4
total=10 dice
4,2,6,6,5,6,3,4,5,5= 6 net success's

Hoods mind screams as he sees Elsa fall into the water. He dives to the water as quick as possible to catch her.
fistandantilus4.0
SinN takes 6 boxes of damage from the assault rifle rounds (Ex-Ex). It's his action.he dives in to the water

The cold water hits Hood like a slap in the face with ice as he goes in after Patrick. Everything seems to swirl around him, seeing on the astral in his drake form. Her life force is draining out in to the water, and it seems to be reacting.

Michaels casts a force 10 Heal, using extra successes to speed up the healing.

Hood reaches Patrick in the water, grabbing hold of her with his claws.
fistandantilus4.0
INit/declare actions as Hood surfaces

Michael's Init is 22. He is healing him self again.

Hood manages to surface, having a difficult time with it. The drake's body is not made for water. Else Patrick is limp in his claws, her life long since ebbed away.
Callidus
Initiative and actions

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Michael's easily blocks the spell, continuing healing him self.

[ Spoiler ]
SinN
[ Spoiler ]

Hood pulls Patrick above the water paying little attention to the swirling astral.
Elsa! Elsa! Oh god...Elsa open your eyes, please!
Lays her gently on the ground, shooting head straight up into the air and let out a roar.
Turn his attention on Micheals
You son of a bitch!
Breathe fire on him again
Exotic range-6
Agility-8
Edge-7(last one)
total-15 dice
Roll:
6,6,6,6,6,5,4,5,5,6,2,1,1,5,5=11 success's!
fistandantilus4.0
Michael's dodges incredibly fast, having taken Hood's delay to place himself under the protection of an Increased reaction spell. He simply laughs.

Nice, little dragonling

He counters with another Agony spell.
Force 15 Agony +6 due to mana surge

10 successes vs Hood's Magic 4+Counterspelling+Shielding 6 -6 from Agony-2 wounds
SinN
Magic-4
Counterspelling-6
Sheilding-6
-6 from agony
-2 for wounds
Total-8
roll
5,5,2,3,2,6,1,2,3- 3 success's
fistandantilus4.0
Hood-Drake drops to the ground, completely paralyzed by the agonizing pain wracking his entire body. Michael's, sustaining the spell, simply smiles, and conitnues healing what damage he can. The mana burn from the abosrtion attempt and the drain from his own spells, he of course can't heal, but the burns inflicted by Hood's breathe and the cut with the strange weapon start healing faster. HE simply look at Holder, not even bothering to attack him.

Diego lowers his rifle, and walks over to the thrashing drake, then apparently thinks better of it, and steps back a bit.

Somehow through his screeching, Hood hears a voice slide in to his 'eras'. The voice is cold and full of malice.
[i] OOohhhhh... the pain.... it is delicious. The master will love the taste of it. To have one of the Rainbow Serpent's lizardlings for his first real meal.... exquisite. How does it feel, to know that you pain, and your failure, and this woman's death, will feed my master, and give him strength? Does it pain you, to know that you have failed your master so completely? The one you call RHo is alive. Woods as you knew him has long since been dead. i am what was once Woods, now perfected by my new master Uumbar the Living Darkness. With your death, I will open the gateway, and bring together my master's form, ripped in half by the ritual, out of place, out of time. He will be whole again. He...

Hood, thrashing and screeching in Agony, is suddenly released from the spell. The pain is gone in an instant, and the wounds healed completely.

Gaelic, only mana can destroy a Shadow.

Greaver has removed the spell, and I have taken your wounds upon myself, but you have precious little time. Destroy the Shadow, and the one controlling the elf Diego. You have only seconds. Pray the gambit works.

Holder hears the voice as it floats through the air. It is not spoken aloud, it seems to travel through the mana in the air. It's full of authority and strength, and the feeling of power.

Just as a powerful source of mana, such as the Wuxing Tower in Hong Kong can thin the veil between the physical plane and the astral, so is the mana surge within the cave. Everyone hears it. Even Dr Michaels/Rho who begins rushing the healing.

Holder sees two things happen at once. The first, is the now clearly visible wraith-like form that pulls away from the no longer thrashing drake. Holder can see the drake's powerful aura, clearly visible. He can also see a sickening, wrenching balck void within Diego's aura. The mere site of it makes Holder feel vile inside, and nearly forces him to wretch when he percieves it. Michael's aura is clearly visible as well. It's powerful, as powerful, or more, as the drake's. He can see clear balck spos where heavy cyber augmentation has been implanted. It's a wonder tthat he can cast at all, much less at such power.

Finally, the most awe inspiring , is the massive great form spirit of beast within the cave. It's aura roars with magical power. It's form is an amalgamation of a lion, bear, bull, and eagle. It seems to be protecting the drake from Michaels.

The Voice's words echo in Holder's mind.

"Pray the gambit works."

Gambit. A chess term meaning to sacrifice a lesser piece to claim a more important one.

Another saying echoes in Holder's mind.

Never Deal with a Dragon.
SinN
Hood struggles to his feet, then relising theres no reason to struggle.
Master.. I know what I have to do.
Hood Stands proudly, and looks feircely at Micheals.

Heres a gift from me to you, choke on it.
Say a brief prayer that the gambit works while Hood readies the spell.

Cast a force 10 mana ball
Magic-4
Sorcery-6
+6 for the mana surge
Total: 16
Roll:
3,2,5,6,4,5,4,6,6,1,5,5,6,6,5,6= 11 success's

fistandantilus4.0
Michael's throws up his sielding to try to block the spell, which spikes up to a massive force.

[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Vs my own spell
Counterspelling- 6
Willpower- 6
Total-12
Roll-6,6,5,4,5,6,3,1,1,6,5,6=8 net success's

Drain
Sheilding-6
Counterspelling-6
Magic-4
Total-16 total
Roll- 1,1,4,6,6,6,5,5,6,5,6,5,6,3,5,2,2=11 net success
fistandantilus4.0
Holder is stunned as the massive manaball detonates, sending blue flames of burning mana everywhere, consuming Hood, Michael's, the Shadow, Deigo, and even the massive spirit. The spell tips through their auras, completely tearing them to shreads in absolute silence, punctuated by their wrenching screams, cut short.

The spirit is disrupted, the Shadow destroyed, and Hood-drake, Diego, and Michael's-Rho all fall dead to the ground.

Holder hears a small voice on the astral behind him.

Oh. Drek.

The speaker seems to be a small, almost feminie looking gargoyle, no more than a foot tall.

Then Holder feels everything wrench. The world shakes.
SinN
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
There is a sound like a fantastic ripping, but more on the scale of a zepplin being ripped apart by a giant. It is not the ripping of fabric, but the ripping of reality.

The world tears and rips around the cave. Everything is sucked together then plummets down as if draining away, centering on the pool. The world seems to be sucked down, spiraling in to nothingness.

Holder is pummeled by very real and sharp rocks as he falls, and sprayed by freezing water. The bodies of first Dr Woods then Elsa Patrick plummet past him. He falls screaming in to the abyss. Then like a drain plug put in place over the hole, the light dissapears. He falls, rolling through the air and water and rock, falling at a terrific pace, which seems to only go quicker.

He tells himself comforting things like "terminol velocity", but he knows he's falling much faster. It seems more akin to the speed of astral projection at it's top sppeds. The material around him seems to bend. He doesn't see it so much as feel it, perceieve it. Then it hits him. The cave isn't just some mana surge site. It's like when he was in the DreamTime. The cave was some sort of Alchera, some sort of astral rift or conduit. He really is going down the drain. The Wormhole. The Rabbit Hole.

He passes out.
fistandantilus4.0
Hood
Seth wanders for a while. Everything here seems pretty drab. kind of like Seattle really, but just ... boring.... like it's not really commited to being anything. It takes him a few minutes to realize that he should be dead. Then he realizes ... Oh yeah... I am dead. Hmmm... death's kind of boring actually. I always expected blaring trumpets and golden gates. Or at least fire and brimstone. This is just ... boring.

The streets area drab gray, the buildings look worn, but not about to collapse. There's trash everywhere, tht's nothing new. Just no people. Nothing that really catches the eye. Just nothing.
fistandantilus4.0
Holder
Link to Back to the Future II
SinN
So I finnally did it. I finnaly got myself killed. I guess Gemini was right.

Hood wanders for a bit through the famialiar parts of town that he knows. Eventually comes to his bar, or atleast the location.

Hhheelllllllllllooooooo!!
fistandantilus4.0
The Blarney Stone is empty. No people, no furniture, no green wallpaper. Empty. Almost as if it never was. Seth feels a sudden jerking sensation, and he's jerked backwards for a moment.
SinN
Turn around, ready to attack.
fistandantilus4.0
There;s nothing there.

Just as Seth turns back, there's another quick yank. THis time as he turns, he sees what looks like a tiny spiderstring wide thread waving in the air near him, as if looking for something to attach to.
SinN
Grab the thread, examine it for a moment. After another quick tug, he tugs back. Then begins to follow it.
fistandantilus4.0
The spider line latches on to the center of Seth's chest and seems to burrow through his shirt, latching in to him. It grows taught and solid, growing thicker instantly, then yanks on him, pulling him high in to the air as if being pulled up by a taut bungee line.
SinN
What the fu-! Cutting that last sentence short, becuase hes not sure if hes in heaven or hell. Best not to chance upseting anyone here.
Attepmt to fight it for a moment. Relizing hes powerless, allows it to take him.
fistandantilus4.0
The golden thread pulls on him, drawing him up and out in tothe black sky, and dragging on and on. Seth is pulled along for hours.

Finally, he feels less of a rising sensation.. and then a falling! He falls fast , fast and far until he jerks upright ,feelign as though he had the wind knocked out of him. Indeed there was no air in his lungs . He sits up , coughing, and feeling soar. His wing goes to his ... wing!? Oh, right..

Towering above him is a massive silver dragon, with deep blue eyes, twinkling as if stars are deep within them.

I had not meant 'gambit' in the literal sense Gaelic. I suppose ishould be comforted however, knowing that some time in the future, you will eventually begin obeying me properly.

The "Voice" is the same. But if feels different. Older.
SinN
Hood sits up, understanding most of what just happened.

Master? What happened? Why do you sound diffrent? You sound...older?
fistandantilus4.0
I am older. I had no way of knowing when you would arrive here. I certainly didn't expect you to arrive dead. Frankly I'm suprised that I was able to retrieve your soul at all, much less so quickly.

I left some plans for my self, for after I reawakened. I'm glad it workd so well. There is a danger here that needs to be resolved, other qise many in the Sixth World will suffer.

I have been here for some time Gaelic.. .waiting....

By your expression, you do not understand yet. You are in the Fourth World .... again.This time however ,there is no way back.
SinN
4th world? How did I-?It hits him like a ton of bricks
The cave! Thats what you tried to warn me about. Thats the something that wasnt right.
Hood looks at his soroundings.
Wait, if I've gone back again, then are you older? Shouldnt you be younger, like how you used to be?
fistandantilus4.0
I've been here for some time. Long enough to have to use a memory crystal to remember everything. I'll be much different some time just after you will dissapear in the Sixth World. I understand that the paradox is confusing.

Bahamut waits, as if expecting something.
SinN
Hood bows
What is it that you ask master?
fistandantilus4.0
He seems pleased. For now rest. I will have much for you to do later. You will need time to adjust to things here.
SinN
Very well Master.
Hood stands. And returns to Human form.
He finds a spot near a rock and lays to rest.
Callidus
The mysterious cave

Sitting on the floor cradling the head of Dr.Patrick on his lap, tears pouring down his face Holder just rocks back and forth. Then his head comes up and stares at Michaels with hatred plain on his face and he speaks.

Why? WHY? WHY? Why the hell would you drag us all the way here, half way around the world, through the outback just to kill us? What kind of sick frak are you? And whay her? and Floren? Two loving peaceful people? What did they do to you? Well it ends here! You may kill me, hell this may kill me but I'm taking you with me!

And trying to raise his right arm but failing on its own, he reaches across and raises it with his left arm, screaming as his hand touches the burns, welts and leasions left but the mana backlash. He points the claw that his right hand has frozen into from the pain directly at Michaels' body and starts to pour all his rage, grief, determination, pain.... his very soul into the spell forming in his grip. The bolt starts a pale blue, then flecks of other colours are visable flowing over the bolt, black, red, yellow, green, all dancing through the blue like fire flies.

Grunts of pain and anguish come from his lips as the spell builds beyond the "safe" levels and it feels as though his body is on fire, and his visio starts to dim around the edges.... edges that creep in as the spell builds. Finally with a scream he releases the spell at Michaels and his vision shrinks in with the spell's flight and by the time the spell reaches Michaels' aura and the spell's claws start to dig in, his vision fades out altogether and he collapses down beside Dr.Patrick's body.

I'm sorry Mum, Dad, Esla.... I tried my best....but.... I.... couldn't.... get him....

--------

The Rabbit Hole - Freefall

FRAAAAAAKLevitateLevitateLevitateLevitateLevitateLevitateFRAAAAAAAAKKK!

Rolls

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Hood wakes after a long sleep. He was apaprently a lto more tired than he thought. Weeks of heavy travel followed by a spell battle have severely taken their toll. There is food waiting for him when he awakens. Finally takign a good look at his surroundings, it seems he's within some sort of palace. The walls are all done in smooth marble, with glowing quartz rocks illuminating the room. The 'bed' is all large pillows. The waiting food is mostly fruits with soem sort of heavily spiced meat. It reminds him vaguely of indian food.

There are clothes waiting for him. Having worn these types of rough clothes once before with the leathers and the ties instead of self-adhering clothes, he ahsa bit more experience with it. Wandering the halls he passes soldiers with a distinctly Indian look to them. The skin is much darker, the noses larger, etc. Asking about the dragon Bahamut, he's given directions to a courtyard.

Entering the open air courtyad, Hood has a moment of suprise at how high up he is. Practically in the clouds. A low rumble follows, which he quickly realizes is the sunbathing dragons chuckle.

You'll like the view even more on the walls. We are on a Theran Behemoth, captured a few years ago now. They sent it to attack Indrisia when I quietly helped them rebel. The Therans' always attack with overwhelming force when it's an option. We led them right into a trap and captured the Behemoth.
It's a floating citadel. A castle in the clouds. I thought it an approprate place to lair.
How was your rest?
SinN
Very well master.
Hood Looks around for a moment.
So this is how you became a great, huh? You changed almost over night. And Im going to be honest, I didnt like it much. I even defied you a bit, just to see if I could bring the old you back. I dont follow you, and serve you, and bow to you becuase you're a dragon, and Im a drake. I do it all, becuase you're my friend. Id even call you my brother Alex. But Ive grown used to it, and I understand more now about what it is a great has to do. Besides, I didnt want to start a swirling rumor that Bahamut cant keep his drakes in line.
Hood smiles.
So what time am I at exactly?
fistandantilus4.0
For what ever reason you give me your service, it is agreatly appreciated. I am, as I have always been, your friend. I'm sure you know more than most how the years can change a man. I'm afraid that in time, you will know all the more.

I don't know if there is a way back. I only know that travelers can come from the Sixth World to the Fourth. The gateway was created in an attempt to flee the horrors before the Scourge. It is incomplete, and only works one way. Not much help to those trying to escape.

A horror calling it's self Uumbar, a play on the word "darkness", was attempting to enter the kaer when the ritual began. It's corrupt magic destryoed the sorcerer's forging the link, and split the hooror in half. It's physical form was caught up in the rift, and sent forward in time, while it's essence remained here. Ironic, don't you think, that only the horror was 'saved' by the ritual desinged to save them from the Scourge?

When I had visited the Outback, I sensed another one somewhere. But I couldn't find it because it was split in half. Morgan encountered the creature's essence, but it was sent off by a powerful Koradji that defended her. The Koradji still know how to fight the horrors. However, the ill fated expedition did not. It seems that they were consumed by it's corruption.

I sent your self and Dr Holder to see what could be done about this turn of events. I'd originally dispatched a member of Black Omega, thinking that the heavy cyber augmentation would make him more difficult for the horror to control. His code name was Epsilon. He was a good man, until the horror gained control of him. It forced him to use sacrifice magic to attempt to open the portal, but instead it only sent him back. It intended to use the second team, sent by someone else within Neonet, as a way to forge a more permanent link. You were supposed to stop it.

A Horror, even one link Uumbar, only has a limited capactiy to create an effective construct such as a Shadow. Cadaver men they can create all day as long as they have bodies. The Shadow takes more of their energy. A shadow is created using the soul of one of the Horror's victims, inflicting unbearable agony both "physically" and mentally on the soul, along with the Horror's own corrupting nature. The result is a living Shadow that generally cannot be affected by any physical means. It also has the ability to take control of others, supressing their will, but still having access to their abilities.

Shadow's are at home even in complete darkness, but a strong enough light source can destroy them.

The dragon speech pauses for a minute while he inhales, and seems to relax a bit,

Here and now, I am a dragon first, and a nethermancer always. That is the way things must be. In a few centuries, when the Horrors have passed more fully, I can relax some. I'm sorry if it's difficult to understand. It isn't easy for me either.

Imagine if one part of your life consumed you to the exclusion of all others. Imagine that you had the ability to stop it, but could not and would not, because of the responsibilites placed upon you. Imagine becoming the very thing you'd distrusted and tried to distance your self from your entire life, and would not change because of what you could do with what you had.

I want you to understand where I'm coming from Hood. I don't command you because I want to. I never command someone because I want to. But I do when I have to. Perhaps, over the long centuries ahead of us, we can become something more akin to what we were, when time and responsibility have their way with you.
It is very difficult to be close to someone that you do not understand.

I'm sorry, I've gotten side tracked. You asked me "when" we were. They don't use any where near the same calendar we do. But as near as I can figure , we should be roughly 7,210 years in the past from 2070. Or 5,140 years before the birth of Christ. Moleskin is doing excellent by the way. We've spoken, often actually. He lives now in what will be Italy. He has been teaching me the highest secrets of divination. Handy if you want to find a way to not only stop a Horror from wreaking havoc in the future, but find your self of someone you can trust implicitly, but know that they aren't going to be born for another 5,093 years.
SinN
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
You were supposed to stop it.

Hood cringed a bit hearing this.
Elsa, Floren, and Holder. All innocent in this, and all of them lost their lives for it. Rho, and Ummbar...I was supposed to stop them, but I failed...Forgive me Alex.

Wait, 5,903 years? Are you talking about me? I didnt relize the 4th age was so far back.

fistandantilus4.0
As much as I hate to say it, the time will give you perspectives on life. Death is less important than yuo might think. It's simply another stage of our existance. Most of the poeple I've known that have passed, I still communicate with regularly. They always have a sense of detachment. This world matters much less once they reach the next.

The Age of Legend was well before recorded history. The end of this Age will herald the Bronze Age. Much knowledge is lost between now and then.

There is no fault on you. I should have foreseen Rho. He was much more powerful than you in the arcane arts. He was an initiate into Black Omega. That you still managed to overcome him in the end speaks highly of your determination. That we don't have to hunt him down here as well is a huge relief. One renegade horror controlled Omega is enough.

SinN
Yeah, I guess I did mess him up good..
Hood cant help but look out to the clouds. He'd never seen something like this. I mean theres the bunyup, but this was like an ancient bunyup. Alex always did need two of everything. Hood remembered the stories of this place, when Alex returned. How he had come to aquire it, the battle that took place. Hood had always wondered how things would have turned out if he had been here to help.
Would it have been easier on Alex, or would I have gotten in the way...Nah. I would have gotten in his way, He's a fraggin dragon for god sakes. Hood crosses his chest for using the lords name in vain. And Im just kinda....loud.

So Morgans out here too, eh? I suppose I need to find her sometime?
And what is it exactly that you want me to do here?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012