Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to have female players enjoy an SR Game ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Talia Invierno
More generally, when reading fiction, I feel like in many cases I can sort of guess whether the author was male or female. It's hard to put my finger on it, and it's more of a gut feeling, but I'll try to characterize it. The female authors tend to have characters who are, well, nicer. You read about them, and you like them more. You feel more like if they were your friends you'd feel good having lunch with them.

*laugh* -- you'd have an interesting time with me, then.

I recognise that individual anecdotes don't give the whole picture: but very very consistently, whenever I write under a gender-neutral username, people invariably firmly believe I'm male -- and that to the point of arguing it to newcomers who think to ask.

Maybe because on the boards (as in face-to-face life), I'm not "nice". wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
... grinbig.gif

I feel this odd sense of...

...Deja Vu...Deja vu... deja vu...deja vu...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
More generally, when reading fiction, I feel like in many cases I can sort of guess whether the author was male or female. It's hard to put my finger on it, and it's more of a gut feeling, but I'll try to characterize it. The female authors tend to have characters who are, well, nicer. You read about them, and you like them more. You feel more like if they were your friends you'd feel good having lunch with them.

I recognise that individual anecdotes don't give the whole picture: but very very consistently, whenever I write under a gender-neutral username, people invariably firmly believe I'm male -- and that to the point of arguing it to newcomers who think to ask.

That and the fact that there are no females on the internet. Instead, they're all obese 60 year old men with Santa beards in their underwear typing from a dark room pretending to be female. lick.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 19 2007, 05:43 PM)
@ Kagetenshi:
Just as a note, Japanese doesn't have pronouns—they have something that's generally similar, but the differences are pretty big (you can modify them directly, for example). They're pretty much nouns, IIRC.

Hmm. What would you call "boku" and "watashi"?

Nouns. ã‚?ã?Ÿã?— means "I", "myself", or "private affairs", and can take modifiers the same way any other noun would. ã?¼ã?? likewise means "I", "you" in some cases, and "manservant". You'll notice this with many of the pronoun-like Japanese words, really—a lot of them have another meaning, using the same kanji, that is obviously a noun. ã‚?ã‚Œ is sort of an exception (it means oneself, but can also mean ego) but is considered pretty rude, go figure wink.gif and can still take modifications like a noun.

Makes me think of some bad jokes along the lines of 大ã??ã?„ã‚?ã‚Œ wink.gif

I'm trying to come up with a good example of a modifier that is perfectly usable in Japanese but nonsensical in English, but finding one that I can translate (despite the fact that a literal translation has to be nonsensical) is difficult.

~J, tempted to ask the mods to rename him 蔭天使 just so no one will ever type his username again wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
That and the fact that there are no females on the internet. Instead, they're all obese 60 year old men with Santa beards in their underwear typing from a dark room pretending to be female. lick.gif

...now I know I've been down this trail before...

'C'mon Smeg...Git Up! gotta make it back to the ranch by sundown... sleepy.gif
Talia Invierno
@ Wounded Ronin and Kyoto Kid:

Groan spin.gif

@ Kagetenshi:

Part of the determination of grammar is the function served by the word within a particular context. Just because a word can have more than one meaning, some of which are conventionally nouns within an anglocentric interpretation, doesn't make them absolutely not have the same function as pronouns.

Consider, after all, that "one" can be pronoun, adjective, or even noun, depending entirely on context. Does that make it any less of a pronoun in those contexts where it is so used?
Kagetenshi
I will have to fall back on an outside authority, since I am not a linguist (I just play one on Dumpshock).

~J
Talia Invierno
So still a subject under debate. I wonder if part of the difficulty might not be because the English passive voice translates so very differently, even into European Romantic languages. (Passive voice in those languages automatically brings in a neutral pronoun with broader overtones.)

No wonder linguistic psychology, in trying to understand the broader patterns of language, tries to create language models that have nothing whatsoever to do with the rules of grammar as learned in school!
Kagetenshi
I wouldn't really say it's under debate—at least, I just checked two different dictionaries and they both listed it as a noun… though I just checked a third one (of lower quality than the others, though) that listed it as a pronoun. I don't know, I'll ask my professor or something smile.gif

~J
Prae
@Wounded Ronin

I agree about the Roll/Role playing, but I see it more as, Roll gives you structured rules with which to develop your character.

Take a look at the good old game "Cowboys and Indians". With the other boys I played it with, it generally degraded into an, "I shot you!" "No you din't!" argument. Now, in Real Life, there is no dispute. If you have a hole in your arm, yelling, "No you din't!" will not make the hole disappear. Roll Playing offers quasi-real (or cinematic) rules that act as a mediator. "I shot you!" "No you din't" <clatterclatter> "..." "Dangit".

Now the more "Socially Advanced" (I believe that women fall into this category, at least when compared to me lol) don't require this mediator. Perhaps it's built in, perhaps they don't consider an argument like the example above as an effective method of character/plot development. That's why in my experience, I've met a lot more female "Free Form" Roleplayers than male.

And I so hate free form, but that's just me sarcastic.gif
Cynic project
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

So was Conan the Barbarian. So was Indiana Jones: who works for an academic ideal which pays him. So is every single PC ever hired by a king to slay orks. Heroism is not synonymous with either ethics or who happens to pay you -- although extremes may lead to the anti-hero instead:

Screw the anti-hero bullshit go the Greek way.Hero is someone who does great and awesome things. You know slaying dragon, killing whole villages. saving maidens, to eating the hearts of fairies.. Things that most people could not dream of doing. Yes, that makes people Nero, a hero.

Talia Invierno
Well, if we're going the Greek route, let's not forget that classic retelling from the Odyssey:
When I had set sail thence the wind took me first to Ismarus, which is the city of the Cicons. There I sacked their city and killed their people. We took their wives and also much loot, which we divided equitably amongst us, so that none would be cheated of their proper portion. I then said that we had better make off at once, but my men very foolishly would not obey me, so they stayed there drinking much wine and killing great numbers of sheep and oxen on the sea shore. Meanwhile the Cicons cried out for help to other Cicons who lived inland. These were more in number, and stronger, and they were more skilled in the art of war, for they could fight, either from chariots or on foot as the occasion served; in the morning, therefore, they came as thick as leaves and bloom in summer, and the hand of heaven was against us, so that we were hard pressed. They set the battle in array near the ships, and the hosts aimed their bronze-shod spears at one another. So long as the day waxed and it was still morning, we held our own against them, though they were more in number than we; but as the sun went down, towards the time when men loose their oxen, the Cicons got the better of us, and we lost half a dozen men from every ship we had; so we got away with those that were left.

Oh yes: and blood magic needs to be absolutely acceptable. Remember Agamemnon's daughter Iphigenia?
knasser
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Wow! Does that mean I'm taken for a woman because I'm so pleasant?

I'm all in favour of mixing up the pronouns. If you read back through my posts when I'm giving examples, you'll find I do it frequently. Why? it breaks default assumptions in the language which seemed a good thing. And when I asked why I shouldn't I only came up with mental laziness and the chance of confusing people. The former turned out to an argument for it, imo, and the latter people will get cured of with time. wink.gif

蔭天使 - You forgot about cut and paste.

-K.
mfb
well, 蔭天使 did say no one would ever type his username again.
draglikepull
QUOTE (pbangarth)
I don't know, draglikepull, I can't lay my fingers on a clear reference at the moment, but I do recall reading material that suggests injecting a whole mess of testosterone or estrogen into either sex causes behaviour changes.

Abnormal and excessive levels of testosterone injection causes behavioural changes. Similarly, abnormally low levels of testosterone produce similar affects, which suggests that the human body is designed to operate within a certain range.

Is it better to say to a woman, "You are a social construct.  Change to be more like a male social construct in order to fit this game,"  or to say, "Ok, what do you like?"

I agree with you entirely. My point was that whether someone enjoys a particular play-style is dependent on their individual personality and not their sex.
eidolon
It'd just mean that I had to type "the artist formerly known as Kagetenshi".
dog_xinu

Hmm why does the game have to be different for _______ vs everyone else. Fill in the blank with any race/gender/sexual prefence. The game is the game. Now none of us should be doing things that are intentially going to make gaming unpleasant for anyone. But I have had several females play in my games over the years. None of which did I have to change my game for. If people are interested in the game they are going to be interested.

that is my jaded opinion..
knasser

So here's another question. Why is the issue of gender divisions the one that comes up? Why is the thread not How to make the game fun for younger / older gamers? Or deeply religious gamers, or highly educated vs. poorly educated or Republican vs. Democrat players?

Actually I think that last one would be an interesting thread for US based Dumpshockers wink.gif

There are many more significant divisions amongst gamers that could lead to different needs I think.
Kagetenshi
Because we don't care about those people, but we do care about t3h b00bies.

~J
Snow_Fox
to get this back on topic and one of the few women on tyhe obard a few things srping to mind about the original poster's female players- there seems to be a lack of imagination on their part for looks and there might be a problem with the GM's delivery. Can I ask roughly the age group? high school, college, 20's?

Looks: I think it is more a case that they find the mohawk crowd unattractive themselves-heck I do- but to play lower down just look at girls in biker leathers in TV commercials (ironically usually selling cars) and what you can do with current jean fashions. Sure corp is good but you can do other stuff. My casual wear is good jeans, a blouse and 'boyfriend' jacket-it covers the gun- and a suit for business. From TV/films for examples of women who can look attractive think-
Kate Beckinsale in Underworld, the womens' outfits in both versions of Battlestar Gallactica, Jessica Biels in Blade 3. Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. Look at the last two females companions of the latest Doctor Who, blue jeans and tops. Look as Diane Kruger in National Treasure- jeans, top, leather jacket and room to hide a gun.

Anime is a great source: Motoko Kusinage in Ghost in the Shell, the female ocmmander in Evangelion or the Red biker outfit in FLCL. Angel's hot pink body suit in Big O.

As I've commented here before, female fashion can make is damn hard to hide a gun, and body armor is similarly out but otherwise...(and the less said about the adventure in Hawaii the better. shorts and a colorful shirt over a bikini leaves room for little more than a hold out.)

Colorful NPC's: OK more detail here. What sort of npc's are they looking for? do they want to be hob nobbing with the Britney Spears and Mel Gibson's of the world or just occassionally interacting?

We tended to draw heavily from pulp detective novels and films- Spenser for Hire comes to mind, so we had regular contacts who were police and organized crime figures etc. also after Mercurial was had an into show biz contact "I worked with these people in Seattle once..." but the reoccurring characters were college profs, Police captains etc.

It sounds like they may want something more glamorous and you want something more street.

Epic tale. ok this takes more of a 'trust me' view, you just gotta follow through. Our main GM, before he moved away, would do long campaigns that would draw together, but at first it would be disconnected runs- a hit, an extraction, information grab, demolition etc and only as it evolved would we realize which had been pertinant and which were red herrings. You might have to do a game where you stick to an 'epic' for each session but make it obvious so they know how it goes, then later they might accept the more drawn out affair.

I hate to plug the sterotype but usually women gamers are more problem solves and guys more shoot 'em up. Could the female players maybe express what it is in the pacing they don't like?
Critias
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
I hate to plug the sterotype but usually women gamers are more problem solves and guys more shoot 'em up.

Aww, c'mon, Foxie. You're making it sound like shoot 'em ups never solve problems! wink.gif
Snow_Fox
The trick is to know who to shoot.
and don't say everybody. Bullets cost money and I like to keep a low overhead!
Fortune
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Bullets cost money and I like to keep a low overhead!

Take the ammo from the dudes you waste. Think of it as your contribution to the recycling effort.
Critias
Ah, ammo from corpses. I actually had just about my first SR character ever stop and loot in Shadowrun, not too long ago. He was carrying an AK 97, the guys he mowed down with suppressive fire were carrying AK 97s, and he had a few empty pockets in his cargo pants. I mean, D&D characters do it all the time, but for some reason I've just never bothered, really, with Shadowrun guys (maybe as a means of protesting their stupid ammo compatability rules, and this was the first time PC and NPC guns had matched up so well?).

Not coincidentally, he was also just about my first Shadowrun character ever that had to spend combat actions to change magazines. Normally my guys are all "single shot to the head" types, who can (and have) gone through a whole 'run without needing to bother. Spraying and praying was pretty fun, though, to show that he wasn't quite as hardcore and professionally trained.
Wounded Ronin
So, is it true that females are more likely to care about the details of their characters' appearance, as in clothes, as Snow Fox seems to be implying?

And if so, would it mean that having more designer clothing besides for the relatively few pieces in the Companion might have a salutory effect on luring those rare females who don't burst into flame to the table?

I mean, I'm not personally big on clothes and tend to accept the sad fact that I look like crap, but I feel like if I needed to for some reason I could probably come up with a "clothing supplment" for SR. I suppose that it would just require some research into classic styles of clothing and then represent them in terms of rules, i.e. cost, availability, conceal, weight, and so on. I might watch all the James Bond films from back to back and then make rules for all the designer clothes Bond wears, including Sean Connery's terrycloth shorts-and-robe-top. Then if somebody were so inclined they could spend hours picking a specific James Bond outfit.

I suppose I could get into historical research, as well, which is something I really love. I could look into writing up rules for the famous boots by Courriges known as "Go Go Boots". I could research which designer it was which started the 60s-70s era giant collar fashion and provide giant collar shirts for player characters.

I mean, I'm not an expert on clothing or appearance but I suppose that in principle trying to research that is less absurd than my trying to research HOW DO FIREARMS REALISM!!!???!!!! and then write realistic rules for that when I haven't even tried to kill anyone yet with dual wielded M249s.
Snow_Fox
you and I have both been around here long enough to know that I do care about clothes but it was brought up in the opening of this thread that is what the female players were missing.

Personally it is not that I want to be the most well warbrodbed runner in the sprawl but I like to have a fully rounded view of my characters and what they will and will not wear.
Lazarus
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jul 22 2007, 12:13 PM)
Kate Beckinsale in Underworld, the womens' outfits in both versions of Battlestar Gallactica, Jessica Biels in Blade 3. Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. Look at the last two females companions of the latest Doctor Who, blue jeans and tops. Look as Diane Kruger in National Treasure- jeans, top, leather jacket and room to hide a gun.

What about Linda Hamilton from T2 in her commando gear.? Delicious. lick.gif
Prae
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
The trick is to know who to shoot.
and don't say everybody. Bullets cost money and I like to keep a low overhead!

(Everybody)^2 - Me

... with maybe some exceptions.

On Topic, Yes, I think clothing is a hugely important part of any game. It determines your status, capability, efficiency, practicality, etc. for others to just look at and size up.

"The Clothes make the (wo)man" as the old saying goes.
Fortune
I haven't found that it is just the females that are interested in their character's clothing and appearance. Most of the male players I have had in the past have delved just as deeply into this type of thing as the females.
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah but they usually start with the long coat. wink.gif
Prae
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Yeah but they usually start with the long coat. wink.gif

That's because nuthin' in SR screams cool badass like the lolEastwood.
Fortune
Yeah but they usually start with the long coat. 

So do the chicks! nyahnyah.gif

I mean, who wouldn't? They're just too cool. cool.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Fortune)
Yeah but they usually start with the long coat. 

So do the chicks! nyahnyah.gif

I mean, who wouldn't? They're just too cool. cool.gif

I want a girl with a short skirt and a long jacket. - Cake
fistandantilus4.0
Bonus points for quoting CAke, and watching Conan of course. Man, if you ever play a game I run, you'll get buco bonus karma up front.
Wounded Ronin
Bonus points for quoting CAke, and watching Conan of course. Man, if you ever play a game I run, you'll get buco bonus karma up front.

I'm honored. Perhaps the next time I'm in the United States for a long time.
Talia Invierno
Usually right around this point would be when I pull out my back-reading on detailed wardrobe design, cross-referenced to my Terminator and Matrix DVDs, and find another room for a bit so the guys can have their guy-time. spin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
frown.gif Sorry
Prae
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Usually right around this point would be when I pull out my back-reading on detailed wardrobe design, cross-referenced to my Terminator and Matrix DVDs, and find another room for a bit so the guys can have their guy-time.  spin.gif

Can't do that yet. We just had Cake Time. Next is Nap Time :B

'Sides, the fashion bit does swing both ways, especially in shadowrun where appearance helps street cred, and to a lesser extent, business deals.

So please, give us yer 2 nuyen.gif on the whole thing.
Talia Invierno
I'm teasing, fistandantilus3.0. I'd only really step out of the room if the Three Stooges DVDs emerged.

But really, beyond protective elements, clothing really only serves two functions: external display of personality, and uniform which lets you fit into one social environment or another. Both are based on the fact that people's first impressions are heavily influenced by choice of clothing.

Personality is expressed as much by the simple t-shirt and jeans as it is by the most flamboyant display a Phoenix shaman can imagine.

The socialite's large wardrobe is no less a collection of environment-specific uniforms than the soldier's battle fatigues, or the doctor's lab coat and stethoscope, or the businessman's three-piece suit, or the ganger's leather jacket and colours. Brand names can instantly identify a specific demographic to each other, or even a proud or uneasy expatriate. (Remember the run on British and Canadian passport covers for American passports?) Gaudily costly clothing often indicates new money, kept person, entertainer, or all three. Subtly costly clothing suggests old money Old Boys networks. Homeless vagrant isn't so much what is worn as how, and in what condition. (Smell is perhaps most relevant, here.) In our campaign, the SR4 Actioneer business clothing line has become so common among bodyguards that anyone in the know recognises it instantly and knows what it signifies -- and sooner or later someone will take advantage of just that recognition.

Individual characters might wish to dress to "belong", or deliberately maintain their personal style regardless: which could lead to (un)necessary conflict. At the other extreme, social chameleons with decent Charisma and social skills are among the most dangerous individuals alive: not least since people generally judge based on clothing, and nothing about the appearance of a social chameleon indicates their true personality, and thus true motivation and goal.

I'd suggest that any player's degree of focus on clothing beyond the purely temperature/armour-functional might reflect that player's degree of awareness of clothing's function as social pass -- or social camouflage.
mfb
i generally spend a lot of time at least pondering my characters' appearance. i think i probably spend a goodly amount of time describing them, as well, especially what they look like when they're doing cool things. the appearance and demeanor of a character is usually the first or second thing i think about, well before i even give the first thought to history/background. which... i don't wanna say i'm a girly-man (unless it's to Tal on our special nights!), but i see that type of behavior a bit more frequently in girl gamers than guys.

what's funny is the girl gamers who act more like 'guys' than most guys do. like, there was a chick on Shadowland a while back who played the most stereotypical lesbian ninja elf you can imagine. gigantic paragraphs describing her tits, overly flirtatious in every situation, basically laying on the rape-bate sauce so thick it smelled. until i found out who was playing the character, i thought it was some pimply 14-yo guy.
treehugger
First, thanks for all the replies, i like how the discussion is going, and it seems the topic has raised some interesting questions, even if like someone pointed out my wording wasnt that good.
to get this back on topic and one of the few women on tyhe obard a few things srping to mind about the original poster's female players- there seems to be a lack of imagination on their part for looks and there might be a problem with the GM's delivery. Can I ask roughly the age group? high school, college, 20's?

My group is more in its early 30s. I know my way of writing doesnt reflect it, but please forgive my weaknesses in english, i cannot practice much except on forums ...
I must say that the women in my group play :
- A street shaman living in a garbage dump. She likes playing curious characters that dont get too much involved in problems but like to be able to interfere in everything.(Is "meddler" the correct word ?)
- A trolless street sam from the black forest kingdom. She loves to make drawings of every characters (she works in anime business) and is usually very attached to her character's appearence. She hates to be manipulated in game, and so likes to be able to stop an argument by hitting hard.
- An elven social adept. In classical fantasy games, she plays allmost always a dwarven warrior. She doesnt care about looks. She mostly play masculine characters. I have no clue what she like in rpgs (even if i play with her for years).
- A dwarven scholar. My girl friend, she played like 5 times. Seems like she plays to please me, even if she denies it, and to be with her friends...

Ok now that you know my rpg life, i'll come back to the subject.

First, my "problems" are clearly personal. But i suppose the questions i ask might help any GM.
After all the problems i encounter arent really gender related. I'd say they are related to the "casual" gamer, the one that still dont know what dices to roll after years of gaming.

Women players are often in this category. Maybe other female player will concur or deny, but i think that they dont like abstraction, so all the "rules thing" that are supposed to resolve actions fall into that category.
If i let my female players describe their characters, they'll say something like "ok, so my character is tall, blond and pretty".
You'll then ask me why i said my female players where bothered with looks in shadowrun no ?
Well they are lasier than me, and usualy it requires me to help them give all the necessary details (in private) and then they are happy to describe themsleves with all those details (pretending of course it all comes from their imagination wink.gif )

So ultimately, the "looks" problem comes from me, not my players. While i can have tons of imagination for medieval or renaissance settings, i have praticaly none for cyber universe. So their looks is either "a fancy dress" or "a corp suit" depending on the situation.

So back to female players on that matter.
There are tons of looks exemple for cyber games, but female players lack sometimes the imagination (or do not try to imagine) necessary for such a setting. After all, everything is possible when it comes to look in shadowrun.

Epic in SR, and female players ...
Why would a female player want more epic stories than male players ?
That's ultimately the question i should have asked myslef (and you guys and gals)
Everyone pointed out that SR can be as epic as i want.
I wont disagree.
I'll just say that the basic story isnt epic, at least as much as the typical fantasy game where saving the world from evil forces is done as often as i eat cheese and wine (i'm french cool.gif )

To see the "epicness" in an SR campaign is harder than in a "classical" fantasy game. Your ennemies are often unknown, their plans are unknown, and even your actions wont have a lot of sense since you're basicaly blind to your employer's motives and ultimate goals (again i'm talking in general terms, not all stories needs to be like this).
My male players like it : they are paranoïd and are sure that everything they do is part of a great plan, and even if the story has nothing epic, they're sure they're doing something "big" (actualy i'm running harlequin, and there's nothing big in being a pawn for a vengence).
My female players have a hard time feeling involved in the story.
This again might be my fault.
My male players know that i like the principle "you'll pay for what you get". That is, for every perk they'll get, they'll have a nice problem awaiting. So when they create their characters, they always have nice flaws, ennemies etc ... because they know their characters will be even more interesting.
My female characters dont like that ... Actualy they are plyaing "munchkin" and the only flaws they'll take for their characters are those they'll get some points from without too much problems.
The result means that they dont feel compelled to run. They dont "take it personal" and so do not believe they really fit into the story.

What about this and epics ?
Well, if you do not involve your character fully into the story, take risks etc ... no one is going to take your hand and lead you to the movers and shakers in the SR world ... so they wont feel to be in an epic story until someone tells them what's really going on frown.gif

So what are my conclusions ?
My "female player" problems arent really gender related.
Most female players i know are passive and will get involved fully into the game only if i fully involve them into the story.

Now my general theory about having female players enjoy the game :
- Help them a lot when creating their character. Be patient and sometimes dont hesitate to be "directive".
- Give them perks and flaws that will help them feel their characters real.
- Make sure their character has specialities that are vital to the story. That will allow them to be the "heroe" without feeling your direct intervention as a GM.
- Make sure they have a "friend in high places". While it might not always be logical to have your player chat with Dunky about the latest fashion, having such contacts will make them feel like being "important", give them ingame information of what's truely happening. You'll always find a way to justify their relationship regarding to the global game world coherence.
- Do not hesitate to give them skills, powers or equipment you wouldnt have allowed to the "common" player. (for exemple, i'm playing in 2052, one of the players is from prague and follow the unified magic theory) You wont regret giving them something too powerfull and then ruining the story, and when the other players will realise what power she has, she'll love the feeling of beeing seen as very powerfull.

Now that i re read my "conclusions" i realise i'm being very paternalistic biggrin.gif
As long as all my players enjoy their game, i'll be happy with it.
I do not know if all these "resolutions" will work, but its what i intend to do in order to be sure my female players have a good time playing shadowrun smile.gif

Anyway, this discussion is far from being over smile.gif
Daddy's Little Ninja
SR was the first RPG I got into and that was to spend time with my b/f. (Must have worked, we got married, have a daughter etc). I findit easier to work with than D&D or Vampire because it is pretty much set in our world. You and Snow Fox have summed it up well. The ladies in your group sound lazy. I have an easier time imagining blue jeans and top or a spandex outfit than some faux rennaissance get up. Why do you need to go into detail on their appearance? I mean if I say short, japanese, dark hair cut to my jaw line. That should be enough unless I have something pertinant like a scar or a tatoo or a streak of color in my hair that could be used in game play. It sounds like your ladies are insecure if they need to tell you more detail. I mean beyond build and hair color and basic dress, we could all have an equally valid image for game use.

It's easier for me to visualize a shoot out at the mall or a meeting in a bar or alley, than some LotR type great hall.
treehugger
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
It's easier for me to visualize a shoot out at the mall or a meeting in a bar or alley, than some LotR type great hall.

This is an interesting argument little Ninja.
In fact it leads me to another reflexion and probably a new clue to my female player's "problems" : while SR might look "similar" to "your" world, i think it is quite different here in France.
My female players never worked for a "corporation" : they dont know what a "suit" is(one is an artist, one works for public administration, another in an hospital. One probably knows what it might look like, but i think she spends most of her time actualy trying to avoid working), what an open space is (as in an office, less than half french workers actually work for compagnies with more than 100 employers), or even what a mall is (there are only a few malls in france, most shops are just on the street).
High tech isnt that much of an issue, even none of them want to know anything about the matrix(even the movie).
I think my players have an easier time imaginating the Great Hall of Rohan because of their readings and centers of interest (they all share a "love" of fantasy and faerie novels), than a corporate-compulsive consumerist world.

To come back to a more general approach, since the game i run is centered on Seatle for the moment, the whole approach of the game comes from an american point of view (and an american point of view of the early eighties).
Do other euro players/GMs like myself have issues regarding those cultural differences ?
Are your stories settings in europe or the states ?

About "gender issues", i ask to my fellow GMs and female players around here : what is it you like and dont like in RPGs ? in Shadowrun specificaly ?
Do you think these tastes are linked to your gender ?

I'm sorry if my reflexions, comments etc ... arent quite coherent, all these posts help me understand and think about all this issue, so at each post, my point of view evolve as i try to have a clear view about all this.
Talia Invierno
Tossing open a quick, general question: do people want the Shadowrun art in the books? There's be more space for substantive or fluff text without it.

Your English is excellent, treehugger, for someone who doesn't have much chance to use it.
QUOTE (treehugger)
Epic in SR, and female players ...
Why would a female player want more epic stories than male players ? ...

To see the "epicness" in an SR campaign is harder than in a "classical" fantasy game. Your ennemies are often unknown, their plans are unknown, and even your actions wont have a lot of sense since you're basicaly blind to your employer's motives and ultimate goals (again i'm talking in general terms, not all stories needs to be like this).
My male players like it : they are paranoïd and are sure that everything they do is part of a great plan, and even if the story has nothing epic, they're sure they're doing something "big" (actualy i'm running harlequin, and there's nothing big in being a pawn for a vengence).

I pulled this one out because the second part I have noticed: even the gender-linked aspect.

Some players like things to remain unknown and to feel like pawns specifically because it allows seemingly consequence-free action. If you don't know what's going on in the greater picture, then you are free to react within the moment and not take anything else into consideration.

Some players prefer to try to piece the big picture together. The idea there is that understanding creates some level of personal control in a ruthless world: call it "purpose", maybe. However, the more one knows, the wider one knows are the consequence ripples from one's actions.

Recurring NPCs are a way into hooking understanding out of the world. NPCs who are normally toss-aways, in contrast, are a way of denying understanding of the world.
eidolon
RE: art in books?

Yes. Even when it's not my favorite bit of SR art, art in RPGs is essential to conveying feel, tone, setting, and ideas. Not every piece of art does this or does it well, but the answer isn't replacing the art with more words, IMO.

Prae
QUOTE (treehugger)
In fact it leads me to another reflexion and probably a new clue to my female player's "problems" : while SR might look "similar" to "your" world, i think it is quite different here in France.
My female players never worked for a "corporation" : they dont know what a "suit" is(one is an artist, one works for public administration, another in an hospital. One probably knows what it might look like, but i think she spends most of her time actualy trying to avoid working), what an open space is (as in an office, less than half french workers actually work for compagnies with more than 100 employers), or even what a mall is (there are only a few malls in france, most shops are just on the street).
High tech isnt that much of an issue, even none of them want to know anything about the matrix(even the movie).
I think my players have an easier time imaginating the Great Hall of Rohan because of their readings and centers of interest (they all share a "love" of fantasy and faerie novels), than a corporate-compulsive consumerist world.

Well then, thank God for the internets. I'm sure spending a few minutes on flickr or photobucket and searching for things like "cubicle farm," "shopping mall," "food court," and other staples of good ol' American Consumerism would totally help you out. This is what I do whenever I have a hard time explaining something to my players (which is rare).

Then its just a matter of, "It looks sorta like this only with more Neon and Goth kids." Make sure you point out that it isn't an end-all be-all map though. Just an example.

As for the Euro-GMs, I played in one game where the dude based the game in Berlin. Now, I don't have any regional sourcebooks, so when my Seatle-based PC flew in... well, culture "shock" is an understatement.

Anyway, mybe your best bet is to actually set a few games locally. Might let them get a better feel for the game (this goes for all your players).
Daddy's Little Ninja
Good idea about the photo search. We did that for Japanese buildings of today and used that to help visualize what Seattle might look like with Japanese corporations moving in.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (treehugger)

Est-ce que le cyberpunk est un produit du culture American? nyahnyah.gif

You just filled my head with the mental image of a Shadowrun world where everybody is speaking French but instead of being crammed into little cubicles and having boring soulless lives they are standing outside around the streets and striking while public transportation grinds to a halt.
Kagetenshi
For French semi-cyberpunk, look no further than Alphaville, une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution.

~J
treehugger
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (treehugger @ Jul 23 2007, 08:35 AM)

Est-ce que le cyberpunk est un produit du culture American? nyahnyah.gif

You just filled my head with the mental image of a Shadowrun world where everybody is speaking French but instead of being crammed into little cubicles and having boring soulless lives they are standing outside around the streets and striking while public transportation grinds to a halt.

rofl grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012