Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to have female players enjoy an SR Game ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Daddy's Little Ninja
And they would all be smoking.

My husband is English and he does dress differently-usually slacks instead of jeans and almost always shoes instead of sneakers. so that would go along with the idea that clothes make you stand out.

Why not set your game in France? Or have the players from Seattle make a run in France. That way maybe the ladies would have an easier time imagining it. Something in the Loire Valley or the Riviera? Something familiar to get use to the feel and then ease them into something alien. The fact that none of them undestand the real life office idea could help. If YOU get it then you can discribe it to their street characters who will feel properly out of place. You could use that feeling to real effect.

Our group was kind of special in Real life, 2 were ex military, several had done mountain climbing. all of us did martial arts, professionally we included builders, a photographer, office workers and a nurse. so the skills we brought in from the real world added an edge to play many groups might not have had.
treehugger
Thanks for the advice Little Ninja, the fact is i've thought about setting my campaign in France.
But i have a few problems with that :
- I'm lazy, or lets just say i dont have much time to prepare my games, so until i have a perfect grip on the game (and i suppose i'll need 1 or 2 years of GMing SR) i'll keep running "cannon" stories. Euro runs are pretty rare.
- I just love the whole Harlequin and friends "meta-plot". The harlequin campaign takes place in seatle, and setting it elsewhere would need a lot of work (and so my first problem come again).

Anyway, i'm in the Barony of Munchmausen part of the Harlequin campaign, so its in europe, good point ^^
Wounded Ronin
As long as we're fixating on breasts and on the subject of France I suppose that one way you could really add a lot of detail to the setting is to spend a surprisingly long time describing French underwear. I think that's a pretty good cultural difference between France and the US, personally. In the US underwear is usually cheap and crappy. Victoria's Secret tries to have the image of being good underwear but it's actually just overpriced mediocre and crappy underwear. On the other hand, in France, there's a long tradition of very expensive and high quality underwear. So when all of a sudden characters from UCAS encounter underwear of incomprehensible design and extremely expensive components and then this underwear is actually somewhat common, I'm sure that they'd have interesting in-character reactions. The question demanded by the original topic, of course, is whether or not expensive underwear would be conducive to attracting females or pernicious.

Another thing that makes France settings so fun is that the GM can speak or type in French a lot and not tell anyone what's being said except the people with the requisite langauge skill. It works very well over IRC with main chat being in French and PMs of translations.

Finally, I have to comment on the post that came up a little while back where somebody was talking about a female player who spent two characters describing her character's breasts. What strange behavior; I wonder if the person in question had tubular breasts or a masectomy or something and was compensating. If not it just seems really strange. What if I joined some SR game on this forum and then, in the post where I describe my character, devoted two paragraphs to describing his penis and testicles, and clearly put a lot of thought into it using such terms as "gelatnious", "strident", and "dinosauric"? Probably everyone would conclude that either I was trolling, or gay.
Kagetenshi
I woke up this morning with a bad hangover, and my penis was missing again. This happens all the time. It's detachable.

~KM
Daddy's Little Ninja
I think I will pass on long discussions of my character's underwear, unless it's germain to the adventure.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
I think I will pass on long discussions of my character's underwear, unless it's germain to the adventure.

You know, your last post made me think about this issue on and off all morning. The issue of underwear, I mean. It could really reveal a lot about your character. Think about it...

1.) Boxers or briefs?
2.) Silk, cotton, or other?
3.) White, black, solid color, or patterned?
4.) Is the construction generic or specialty?
5.) How much did you pay for your underwear?
6.) Is the cut and style contemporary or old-fashioned?

Going back to the original subject, I also sensed (perhaps incorrectly) that maybe you saw the issue of player character underwear as either being too silly to discuss, or perhaps it made you uncomfortable? In terms of being able to attract the maximum number of females to the game would you suggest making an explicit effort not to talk about underwear?
Daddy's Little Ninja
it just is not a topic for duiscussion. I mean you have no idea what I am wearing right now. I do not know, and do not really care what you are wearing. I think it is only germain if you are doing a seduction scenario OR you are trying to do something like hide tech in the underwire of your bra.
hyzmarca
No, a characters underwear says a lot about his personality. Since underwear is not meant to be seen in daily life, it is the most personal of all fashion choices. A person who choses elaborate and expensive underwear, without expecting the need to make a seduction, does so for reasons beyond looking good. It could be a true love for expensive things, or it could be narcissistic personal standards. Cheap, simple underwear, on the other hand, indicated a practical personality. Uncomfortable underwear, obviously shows that the individual does not hold personal comfort in high regard.
Personally, I highly value personal freedom, which is why I don't bother spending money on tools to unnecessarily restrain and confine myself.
Daddy's Little Ninja
But is still not a topic needed to be bandied around the game table. I really do not want to know if Rich's troll sami is wearing a thong! there are times it might come in handy for dsicription. to look at the modern world hip hoppers showing their shorts or Britney Spears stripping to bra and panties to go swimming. Maybe if you go into a strip club or cheap bar and the GM wants to give a gritty feel by having some girl in jeans and a leather bra standing around. But just stopping by in a bar? I could not care less what Bubba and Skeeter at table 3 have on under their Levi's.
Kagetenshi
I think you're underestimating the range of opportunities for clothing to be dramatically torn off, deliberately or accidentally, during a shadowrun.

~J
Kyoto Kid
...heck, it used to happen in Marvel Comics with seeming regularity.
Daddy's Little Ninja
We'll leave that to Captain Kirk. Armored clothing should last longer.
Angelone
Monowire induced wardrobe malfunctions rotfl.gif

Edit- I am strongly in the clothing makes the runner camp, but also in the dress to blend in camp. I kinda like how in Saint's Row how you get a respect bonus due to how you're dressed. It wouldn't really work in Shadowrun as people in the barrens would be constantly trying to roll you for you tres chic.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Angelone)
Monowire induced wardrobe malfunctions rotfl.gif

Edit- I am strongly in the clothing makes the runner camp, but also in the dress to blend in camp. I kinda like how in Saint's Row how you get a respect bonus due to how you're dressed. It wouldn't really work in Shadowrun as people in the barrens would be constantly trying to roll you for you tres chic.

I've never heard of Saint's Row, but I suppose that you SHOULD get respect if you always wear designer clothing, even in the barrens. It means that you're always in a helicopter gunship in the barrens...
warrior_allanon
as far as females and males in the same group, its up to the GM to keep them interested, and to do that i stress, STORY, STORY, STORY......character problems are there problems, you cant help them there, but the story line you have to make it interesting.

that said, i have played with female gamers that have run the gambit, i have had the female gun bunnies in groups that i have been and also had females that refused to play anything but a dedicated face/decker that had to be protected whenever everything went in the pot.
Kagetenshi
FWIW, the word you want is "gamut".

~J
tisoz
Some one asked for it a while back...

SR4 use of he: 617.
SR4 use of his: 615.

SR4 use of she: 479.
SR4 use of her: 548.

SR4 use of they: 887.
SR4 use of their: 885.

SM use of he: 340.
SM use of his: 423.

SM use of she: 139.
SM use of her: 187.

SM use of they: 531.
SM use of their: 666.

RH use of he: 230.
RH use of his: 275.

RH use of she: 80.
RH use of her: 117.

RH use of they: 730.
RH use of their: 715.

OtR use of he: 276.
OtR use of his: 199.

OtR use of she: 218.
OtR use of her: 201.

OtR use of they: 440.
OtR use of their: 202.

(These do not include uses involving contractions.)

On the subject of underwear...

I would not expect it to come up during game play all that often, but now that I consider the idea, it could be pertinent to the character. Does the character expect to be seen in their undergarments? Is the character wearing briefs to help in conception? Does the character go commando (I think Friends brought this term into the mainstream), and if so, why? (I think there were at least 3 unique explanations given on Friends.) Does the character wear gender appropriate underwear? What types of underwear would the character never consider wearing? Would they go commando first?

If underwear is not character revealing, why is there such variety?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (tisoz)
Does the character go commando

...or if from Scotland, Regimental

The underwear my characters can't wait to get their hands on (or butts into) again are the "armoured long johns" that were around before the crash (must have gone out of vogue when this whole wireless thing came about).
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
The underwear my characters can't wait to get their hands on (or butts into) again are the "armoured long johns" that were around before the crash (must have gone out of vogue when this whole wireless thing came about).

I'm sure hopin' that they're just stockpiled in somebody's Arsenal. wink.gif
knasser

Great piece of data tisoz, nicely done. So although there is a tendency toward the male pronouns, it's actually well distributed. So the question would be did anyone find that the use of 'she' and 'her' interfered with their comprehension or enjoyment as has been suggested by others in this thread? I don't think that I even noticed it and wouldn't have had a problem with it if I had. So I think that being more evenly balanced is more inclusive and a positive thing. A comment was made earlier that women are "strong enough" to ignore this sort of thing. Well maybe most women are, but it's wrong to make sweeping generalisations based on gender, even complementary ones. Most women probably don't care much either through becoming innured to it or due to its perceived triviality. But some women might find it more inclusive and might appreciate the even-handedness. So as I can't see any negatives, this is a good practice to keep to. I know that I tend to mix things about a bit in my own writing.
adamu
Tisoz - thank you for the data! (I was the one that asked for it.)

You have confirmed a hypothesis I had about myself - I would have SWORN that the female pronouns were much more prevalent in 4th ed books, but I also conceded that I might just be only noticing them more.

Your data proves that the latter was indeed the case. Good for me to know about me. Thanks again.

Kagetenshi
More data. I didn't have access to a PDF viewer whose find command would take regular expressions, so take this as a conservative count—occurrences without leading spaces or without either a trailing space or trailing period probably weren't counted, except for "they" and "their", which don't occur inside other words enough to be a problem.

SR3 use of he: 697, after subtracting out references to HE grenades.
SR3 use of his: 721

SR3 use of she: 239
SR3 use of her: 278

SR3 use of they: 704
SR3 use of their: 678

So the data shows that you're completely wrong—it's not just you noticing it more, they are much more prevalent in SR4 smile.gif

~J
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jul 28 2007, 10:25 AM)

I'm sure hopin' that they're just stockpiled in somebody's Arsenal. wink.gif

....arrrghhhhh! grinbig.gif
hyzmarca
Now that we have official stats for cyber-penises I must ask a question. Do female players, in general, find long elaborate descriptions of Mr. Johnson's heavily customized Mr. Johnson more or less disturbing than they find long elaborate descriptions of Trogdor's French panties?

Also, do female players, in general, feel that heavily customized penises of death appropriate for use as primary weapons in an street melee, since that possibility now exists.
Wounded Ronin
Wait, were those in that SOTA sourcebook I never read?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Wait, were those in that SOTA sourcebook I never read?

The new SR4 sourcebook, Augmentation, has rules for them, including some rules which, when applied creativly, give a character the ability to ejaculate contact toxins on enemies.
Ravor
Of course, by "rules" he means that they eat up space in the book and have an Essence cost.
Wounded Ronin
This thread is frustrating for me because it seems, with its inability to come up with any clear directives about making females approach your gaming table, to symbolize my inability to make any females like me.

So far, this is what I'm coming away with:

1.) Females supposedly like "role playing" and parties and "character background" and "clothing", except that then people jump in with their exceptional "gunbunny" females and while clothing (including how we hide a pistol when you're wearing a bikini) is okay underwear isn't.

2.) Females supposedly dislike abstraction and rules and need the GM to walk them through chargen nudging them all over the place to make the "right" choices, except when they don't.

3.) Feminine pronouns are of key importance.

Apparently if I want to make females like my games I should find more ways to drop feminine pronouns in descriptions. Perhaps I should start GMing in French only and have a lot of feminine nouns lying around.
Shrike30
Ironically, the female player we've got in our SR game plays the fembot sammie type, right down to the interesting locations for implanting the pair of machine pistols.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Ironically, the female player we've got in our SR game plays the fembot sammie type, right down to the interesting locations for implanting the pair of machine pistols.

...ahhh "machine gun juggies" I take it....

Shrike30
Yeup.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
This thread is frustrating for me because it seems, with its inability to come up with any clear directives about making females approach your gaming table, to symbolize my inability to make any females like me.

1.) Females supposedly like "role playing" and parties and "character background" and "clothing", except that then people jump in with their exceptional "gunbunny" females and while clothing (including how we hide a pistol when you're wearing a bikini) is okay underwear isn't.

2.) Females supposedly dislike abstraction and rules and need the GM to walk them through chargen nudging them all over the place to make the "right" choices, except when they don't.

3.) Feminine pronouns are of key importance.

Apparently if I want to make females like my games I should find more ways to drop feminine pronouns in descriptions. Perhaps I should start GMing in French only and have a lot of feminine nouns lying around.

we seem to have drifted off topic but the point is that we, women, have the same outlook as guys, you have to figure out what we want from the game and take it from there. It sounds like the ladies in the original post are either lazy or lacking in imagination.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jul 30 2007, 05:54 PM)

1.)  Females supposedly like "role playing" and parties and "character background" and "clothing", except that then people jump in with their exceptional "gunbunny" females and while clothing (including how we hide a pistol when you're wearing a bikini) is okay underwear isn't.

2.)  Females supposedly dislike abstraction and rules and need the GM to walk them through chargen nudging them all over the place to make the "right" choices, except when they don't.

3.)  Feminine pronouns are of key importance.

Apparently if I want to make females like my games I should find more ways to drop feminine pronouns in descriptions.  Perhaps I should start GMing in French only and have a lot of feminine nouns lying around.

we seem to have drifted off topic but the point is that we, women, have the same outlook as guys, you have to figure out what we want from the game and take it from there. It sounds like the ladies in the original post are either lazy or lacking in imagination.

Hmm. So would you agree with the statement, "The question posed in the title of this thread is a pointless question because the answer would be the same even if the term 'female' were swapped for 'male'?"
knasser
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jul 30 2007, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jul 30 2007, 05:54 PM)

1.)  Females supposedly like "role playing" and parties and "character background" and "clothing", except that then people jump in with their exceptional "gunbunny" females and while clothing (including how we hide a pistol when you're wearing a bikini) is okay underwear isn't.

2.)  Females supposedly dislike abstraction and rules and need the GM to walk them through chargen nudging them all over the place to make the "right" choices, except when they don't.

3.)  Feminine pronouns are of key importance.

Apparently if I want to make females like my games I should find more ways to drop feminine pronouns in descriptions.  Perhaps I should start GMing in French only and have a lot of feminine nouns lying around.

Hmm. So would you agree with the statement, "The question posed in the title of this thread is a pointless question because the answer would be the same even if the term 'female' were swapped for 'male'?"

I'd say kind of. The reason you're not getting any "clear directives" is that there are about three and a half billion women on the planet and reliable generalisations are hard. wink.gif Ultimately, we all have the power to decide what we consider our identity to be, and that includes what it means to be a woman or a man. You can't make many generalisations unless you have a group with several thousand members.

But the question is not useless, as we've explored a lot of issues here and even dispelling pre-conceptions is beneficial. If you walk away from it with the knowledge that there aren't any good rules and you have to pay a lot of attention to who someone is, then that's a step forward.

All that said, I'm going to contradict myself a little by saying that if you are a male and not good at seeing another's point of view, you may miss the odd thing that would bother a woman. Both men and women can feel insecure or competitive, and your lingering description of a female NPC's attributes might deter some female players in the same way that a lingering description of a male NPC's attributes might deter male players. Men, women, very similar, but sometimes see ourselves as on different teams. Sometimes. You just have to keep an eye out for times when this might be an issue.

Also, there can be outside issues as well. If your group is entirely male, then a woman can feel a little excluded and less likely to join. Just as you might feel a little odd if you were the sole male player in an all woman's group. If a girl has a boyfriend, she might be concerned about going off to hang out with a bunch of other guys at another guy's place all night (or rather he might be and she will avoid situations like this for his sake). And then there is always unwanted attention (wanted attention is fine, of course).

I was about to type that there should be no reason why you should specifically target female players as we're all people first, gender second, but on reflection it is nicer to have women at the game table than not, and I can't deny that. A gender balance makes things more pleasant and more natural.

But the main thing to keep in mind is the first part of what I said. Everyone is different and you can't make useful generalisations in a groups this small. If you want more female players in your group, use the same approach you use to get more players generally. Public games in FLGS, notices on messages boards, asking people you meet at work or out wherever.

And if you do have an ulterior motive in seeking women for your group, for goodness sake, acknowledge it to yourself and the woman you like.

Hope this helps,

-K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012