Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OOC] The Gaslamps Shadows
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Meriss
Welcome all and sundry to this our auspicious first week of gaming. Yay!

I have some housekeeping to do and then we'll get to the crunchy bits.

First:
Post Guidelines

"Speech" [cyan] This is standard speech
"Other Languages [salmon] This is speech that is not English.
<Coms (spoken)> [yellow] I'll be using this for phone calls and stuff from the Matrix.
<Coms (subvocal)> [violet] We may be using this, then again we may not.
Written [black] Letters and stuff.
Thoughts [darkkhaki] [italics] What do you think?
Memories [lightgrey] [italics] What do you remember?
Spirits [red] [italics] This is for when spirits are speaking to you, be afraid when this happens.
Place, Time [orange][bold] I'll be using this to set the scene. You use it if your scene is different from my time.

Bold your char name when posting, I have eight players, I'll need to keep you lot straight.

No sigs in the IC thread please

Other than that it's fairly open. Try to keep profanitiy to either SR style or Victorian.

Second:
Post your revised char sheets here in spoilers. For final checks and so on. Include your starting cash rolls. You may include your backstory if you wish.

Third :
Some Victorian age slang I'll be using

[ Spoiler ]

Fourth: Have fun All! And welcome to the past!

Fifth: Linky to explain Fist's CSP here

Sixth: Resources.
Stuff to help you envision the Victorian steampunk shadows. And stuff my players have found to help explain the world.

Dictionary of Victorian London
Victorian Coinage
marghos' slang link again
The Difference Engine by William Gibson
Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Graphic Novels (I suppose you can watch the movie, but I won't make you.)
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Buroughs
H. Rider Haggard's Allen Quartermain novels
Girl Genius by Phil Foglio (Awesome steampunk setting, totally convincing)
Castle Falkenstein
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
Anything else by Jules Verne
The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Not the Micheal Crichton novel)
Space 1889
The Great Train Robbery by Micheal Crichton

Seventh:
Karma Policy

Karma will be handed out on a "chapter" basis. Each time I finish a major story point will be the end of a "chapter" and I will start doling out Karma. I set the length of chapters and interludes. Usually I'll try and hold them to about one week RT, and then move on. But they may go longer.
ludomastro
Meriss,

Here is Jacob Smith, Part 1

[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
and Part 2

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Spence

[ Spoiler ]
marghos
So here's Christopher Martin St.North again, or Marty for short...

Description
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes, skills, other things and gears.
[ Spoiler ]

Marty's history on making
[ Spoiler ]

Martys family, to those who knows him...
[ Spoiler ]

//Littlebit editing//
//2nd edition!//
Meriss
@marghos: take 2 csp for finding that link.
marghos
QUOTE (Meriss)
@marghos: take 2 csp for finding that link.

@Meriss: Eh now I know this link to viktorian slangs, sorry my mistake... =

+1 die to the London underworld 2>3
+1 die to London Theathres (S: Plays and Actors): 1(3) > 2(4)
Meriss
QUOTE (marghos)
@Meriss: Do you "talk" about relationship between Marty (his little sister Angel) and dr. John Sebastian?

eh? Not sure what you mean.
Meriss
Alright, Gimme a few and IC will be up. Minor housekeeping.

1. Voorhees? You coming man? I still need your sheet.

2. DEBO, what's you chars name. I can't seem to find it in my notes.
Prae
Dr. John Sebastian

Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Appearance:
[ Spoiler ]
Prae
Also, I just remembered. I'm unable to game from 4:00 PM to 11:30 PM PST on Weekdays due to schooling. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
Meriss
@Prae: NP, foirum games aren't really that quick.
Critias
I went ahead and made those few changes mentioned on the other thread. Dropped one of my Contacts by one point, changed out Bad Luck for some Incompetence with all sorts of smelly crude firearms (thanks to a disdain for them). Oh, and I swapped out those couple of Adept powers like I was thinking about (ditched the +2 Unarmed dice for some other stuff, I think I'll still win most opposed rolls okay).

I mean, I'm the Mysterious Easterner. If I'm not gonna go nuts with chi-manipulation funky glowy fist stuff in this game, when the heck am I ever gonna do it?

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
I used my extra points to make sure my foci was bonded, and upped contact ratings a bit. Last two BPs went to cash. But of all things, I forget what to roll for starting cash. embarrassed.gif
DuckEggBlue Omega
Prof. Arthur Pendington

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes, Skills, Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

I *THINK* that's everything done. It's a pity the only vehicle I wanted doesn't exsist, which is probably good since I think I'd need to redo my skills just to use it.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Meriss)
Alright, Gimme a few and IC will be up. Minor housekeeping.

1. Voorhees? You coming man? I still need your sheet.

Yeah, I'm just about finished. I just kind of ran out of character before I ran out of BP, and so I'm messing around with that.

I decided to make a character with two cyber(steam?)arms, legs, and a torso. I can probably have it to you sometime in the next few hours, or tomorrow afternoon for sure.
fistandantilus4.0
hey Meriss, can we just get a quick, consolidated lsit of who all the players and their characters are in one concise GM post? It'd help me a hell of a lot to keep track of everyone, since it looks like we've got a full crew here.
DuckEggBlue Omega
DAMN IT! I've just realised that the lack of wireless means I'm going to need at least one piece of tech not in SR4.

Meriss, How much for something like a DataLine Tap?
Fresno Bob
And I have finished my numbers end of the character sheet. Now for bed.

[ Spoiler ]
marghos
Sorry being such a ignorant ass wink.gif But one thing makes me wonder. This one thing is, how to handle those needed die rolls? Is there some program or does gm handle those or how do we handle it? I ask this because this is my second forum based roleplaying game and in first game the our great gm handled all rolls, secretly. Giving us only results and descriptions.
Meriss
@Critas: Thank you sir.

@Fist: Starting cash is 3d6x50
Players are
Fist: Charles Morgan Spencer
Alex: Jacob Smith
Prae: Dr. John Sebastian
Critias: Han Lo Yang
Duck Egg Blue Omega (Or DEBO for short, Hope you don't mind Duck): Prof. Arthur Pendington
marghos: Martin St. North
Voorhees: Bismarck
ZenZen: Alexander N. Dorn

@DEBO: Thanks, adding to notes. You and voorhees will be up and running by the end of today. Say 200 lbs for A Data Line tap.

@Voorhees: Thank you.

@marghos: I use Invisable Castle You may use what you wish
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (Meriss @ Jul 24 2007, 11:41 PM)
Duck Egg Blue Omega (Or DEBO for short, Hope you don't mind Duck): Prof. Arthur Pendington

No problem, I use DEBO now anyway. Dumpshock was the first forum I ever joined, back before I realised that long user names just meant it took longer to log in, or that some people would shorten it to 'ducky'.

QUOTE (Meriss @ Jul 24 2007, 11:41 PM)
@DEBO: Thanks, adding to notes. You and voorhees will be up and running by the end of today. Say 200 lbs for A Data Line tap.

Cool, I'll take 2, which will leave me with £145 for miscellanea as previosly mentioned. And if anyone cares (and to avoid possible confusion with weight nyahnyah.gif ), £ = Alt+0163.
marghos
QUOTE (Meriss)
@marghos: I use Invisable Castle You may use what you wish

Oh, thanks. I'll use the same. Looks simple and easy to use. Old .... like me could even learn to use it wink.gif
Critias
I forgot starting cash, too. Looks like I've got an even 500 pounds. If the link works. wink.gif

times 50, for starting moolah. (3d6=10)
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega)

No problem, I use DEBO now anyway. Dumpshock was the first forum I ever joined, back before I realised that long user names just meant it took longer to log in, or that some people would shorten it to 'ducky'.

Hahahahaha! I feel your pain. I just use F3.0 on other forums now.
marghos
I roll money using exell and get 9 to result. So thats £900 and now i tested and used this Invisible Castle and the result was now: 14

3, 1, 6, 4=14

I'm Happy with this £900...
Meriss
@Voorhees: I need a basic background and Shadowrun Char Develop questionaire from you.

@Critias: Good. Also the captain was speeaking Chinese. Guess I should have mentioned that little tidbit IC. Sorry. frown.gif Also you more'n likely know who "The Bruiser" is.
[ Spoiler ]
ZenZen
Alexander N. Dorn: 'Inspired Engineer'

The Background:
[ Spoiler ]

The Looks:
[ Spoiler ]

The Workshop:
[ Spoiler ]

I'll add the rest when it's finished/approved.
Fresno Bob
I've realized I made some mistakes in my sleep-deprived state when building Bismarck... most notably not getting him a Lifestyle. I will fix these, as well as add the other things required of me either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.
Meriss
@Voorhees: NP, Also does he have another non street name?
DuckEggBlue Omega
Woot, in the game.

/reads

Garret? What's a garret?

QUOTE (Dictionary.com)

gar+ret n. an attic, usually a small, wretched one.

But, but, I have high lifestyle... HIGH!
Meriss
@DEBO: embarrassed.gif I just assumed a living on the fringes kinda guy. My bad editing. *Sigh* I'm a lousy GM. *smacks self*
Fresno Bob
Alright, fixed the error of having a homeless character...
[ Spoiler ]
DuckEggBlue Omega
@Meriss: It's cool, I'm just being difficult biggrin.gif

But so this post isn't completely pointless, questions.
Have you decided how you want speaking languages other than english to be noted yet?
If so, how?
How will various people 'check' your SIN? ie Do beat cops just check papers or do they have some kind of portable link to a central database? Do police stations etc even have a computer database?
Meriss
@Voohees: Thank you. *reads background* Geez Alou! Some body can't wait for Aug. biggrin.gif I'd watch out for Prof Pendington and Mr. Dorn, you may end up as scrap. (JK)

@Debo: Actually I never thought about other languages, but with Critias playing a China man, and you and Zen speaking German. And good lord I think everyone has more than just English, We're going to need something aren't we. any thought's all?
Answers from the great and mighty GM godling. (At this point I've screwed up so much I'm losing my divinity.)
Beat cops rarely check papers. If you go some where you need ID they will check but there is no real central database. And there is quite a bit of friction between nation so there are no international databases.

Think of fake SINs as packages of papers and buisness cards. You go to a screever or other forger and he makes up an ID whole sale usually providing you with info that backs up this ID. Ticket stubs in that name, calling cards, all the sundry items a proper gent needs in polite society. It'll get you in the door but heaven help you if you meet your "actual" Licencing is useful for carrying weaponry but most crushers are not immune to a bit coin, if they catch you out.
Critias
On other play by post places, we've used "[talking like this]" to denote foreign languages (just working somewhere into the rest of the text what language you've switched to). Some places use that for radios, too, though, so I dunno. *shrugs* I just work here.
Prae
Le cool resource link.

As for languages, I'm sure John only has English, but Critias seems to have the best idea. You could even Spoiler it first for those of us whos characters can't understand it.
DuckEggBlue Omega
Using [this] shouldn't be a problem since comms etc are in different colours. Maybe something like: "[German] Now I'm speaking German." <[German] And now I'm speaking German on the phone.> could work?

And yay for SIN's as identity papers, my forgery skill just got a lot more useful!

Another thing, I sort of cut off my last IC post because it was getting kind of lengthy (I was originally going to include going to the bar and speaking to the barman) and I didn't want to 'hog the screen time' so to speak. But I didn't really need another GM post before getting to the bar, what's the etiquette here?
Meriss
@Critias: I like, but won't that muck up the tags? Maybe [salmon]?

@Prae: Good grief, where 'n earth did you find that? 3 CSP

@DEBO: I have no set length. Go as far as you feel you can without GM intervention. But declaring the finding of major ware and goodies is a no no. I posted a GM post getting you to the bar, so yer good.

@Arrivals: You may interact with each other and the publican as you see fit. Try not to take control of a another persons char without permision or if you do make it short and IC.
Prae
QUOTE (Meriss)
@Prae: Good grief, where 'n earth did you find that? 3 CSP

I live by an ancient internetter's code: "Give a man a search, you enlighten him for a day. Teach a man to search, you remove your usefulness to him."

But seriously, I was just playing with teh Google and thats what it gave me before i b0rked it.

Also, do we have a set time when we improve our characters through Karma and CSPs, or is this going to be "on the fly" skill assignments?
Meriss
@All: Sorry my latest money making venture is keeping me in knots. Bonus for you lot, it's only once every few months. I should be back to my normal posting routine next week.

@Prae: Karma spending is a down time project, if you wish to RP it so much the better and I might hand out savings. CSP spending is also down time but I will take flashbacks.
DuckEggBlue Omega
No worries, we all need cash.

@Zen: The name Alexander Dorn... Micheal Dorn played Worf on Star Trek, Worf had a son named Alexander... coincidence? Just curious.
Meriss
@zen: Also chummer, did you want the whole "World according to Travis Bickle" I mean I can prolly string together a really weird conspicy theory. but typing it, *ugh*

@All: Lemme get Dorn, Han and Marty to the pub and we're ready to run. Critias, Zen, marghos yer up.
ludomastro
@Meriss

Jacob has walked to the club. Should I post his entrance. I was expecting some sort of bouncer/"welcome committee".
Critias
QUOTE (Meriss)
@All: Lemme get Dorn, Han and Marty to the pub and we're ready to run. Critias, Zen, marghos yer up.

I'm workin' on it, I promise! biggrin.gif I don't get up, get to work, and get on-line 'till about midnight (EST) on weeknights, so I know I miss out on some prime back-and-forth posting time for most people's schedules.
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah Meriss is apparnetly one of those crazies that goes to sleep at a "decent time". What a nutter.
DuckEggBlue Omega
I'm not sure how accurate Babelfish is, but my guess is 'not very'.

In anycase, Arthur is meant to be saying, "Good evening. I was admiring your machinery. What is the power output of your boiler?".

So what's the final word on notating other languages? I wanted to check here before I started doing anything in the game.
marghos
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Meriss @ Jul 25 2007, 10:42 PM)

I'm workin' on it, I promise! biggrin.gif I don't get up, get to work, and get on-line 'till about midnight (EST) on weeknights, so I know I miss out on some prime back-and-forth posting time for most people's schedules.

Me too, i'm workin' on it, I swear! But Marty has life of his own, I have no control over it wink.gif I'll try to go straight to the pub where that meeting takes place, thats a promise biggrin.gif
Meriss
@Alex: It's more of an old style bar no real welcoming commitee or bouncers. Go ahead and post.

@Fist: Decent time my A$$. Bed is usaully 12:30 or so EST, It ain't my fault you lot live in the West. Move to Boston, Or NY.

@DEBO: [salmon] is now when you speak in other languages. I'll addit to the guidelines.

@Critias and marghos: Just trying to push you along. Hakuna Matata!
ZenZen
QUOTE (DEBO)
@Zen: The name Alexander Dorn... Micheal Dorn played Worf on Star Trek, Worf had a son named Alexander... coincidence? Just curious.

Quite ...intriguing theory, I have to admit. Although it seems just a wee bit far-fetched, don't you think?
But seriously: no. (although I used to watch quite a lot of ST:TNG back in the days...)
Yet I really don't want to discourage you, because I did choose his name with several ideas in mind, so feel free to try again. cool.gif
(Sorry, but I'm not telling - much more fun for me to read your theories *evil laughter*).
Btw, the 'he may as well have a giant key sticking out of his back' was hilarious. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Meriss)
@zen: Also chummer, did you want the whole "World according to Travis Bickle" I mean I can prolly string together a really weird conspicy theory. but typing it, *ugh*

Heh, sorry man. embarrassed.gif I really don't want to push you into all that work, especially considering your increased rl workload atm.
The whole 'Travis does all the talking during their trip' thing was just me trying to get you to write lots of fun weirdness that I can reply to/comment on (I really enjoyed the Irish barkeep part that you wrote - had me laughing for minutes), but it's ok when you want to keep it short or *gasp* force me to come up with something creative&funny myself (or I'll just board my timemachine and edit it out to make it a driving meditation instead...)

QUOTE (Meriss)

Fine with me, I already cut short the 'scene at the workshop', seeing that most other players post more often (timezone related perhaps, or I'm just slow ...maybe both) and were already starting to gather their chars in the pub.

@all: Anyone else noticed the lack of 'hot chick' (or at least female) chars in this game? Necessity of the Victorian setting? Coincidence? Conspiracy? Discuss!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012