Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firearms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
l33tpenguin
First, what book contains more fire arms, like the cannon companion from v3, if any?

Second, to what extent do you allow your players to modify their weapons, given that they have or hire someone that has, the appropriate skills? In reality, it isn't overly difficult to convert a semi automatic weapon to a fully automatic one. What if I wanted a Predator IV in full auto? What about modifying a pistol to include recoil compensation, since there are real pistols with gas vented recoil compensation?

This kinda brings me to a nit pick about weapons in most rpgs. I wish firearms were handled on a more realistic term for damage. A handgun that fires a 9mm round will inflict basically the same amount of damage as any other weapon firing the same 9mm round. What the different weapon will effect will be rate of fire, accuracy, durability, etc.
A list of fire arms would include name, caliber, rate of fire, accuracy
A sublist would include capacity of clips available.
A list of ammunition would include name, damage, effective range, effectiveness against armor

Beretta 92, 9mm, semi auto
-standard magazine 9 rounds
Glock 18, 9mm, full auto
-extended magazine 20 rounds

Ares Predator IV, 45 cal, semi auto
-extended magazine 15 rounds (-1 con)
Glock 23, 45 cal, semi auto
-standard magazine 7 rounds
Colt Python, 45 cal, semi auto
cylinder 6 rounds

9mm Damage X, Effective Range Y, -1 vs armor
45 cal. Damage X, Effective Range Y, +2 vs armor
etc.

Any thoughts? how much would you let players modify their weapons? and when do we get more guns?
jklst14
New firearms and rules for modifying them will be in the upcoming supplement, Arsenal which is slated for holiday release later this year. Until then, you'd have to house rule it.

As for firearms and realism, if you do a search, you'll find many, many threads here on Dumpshock that discuss those issues in detail.
l33tpenguin
QUOTE (jklst14)
As for firearms and realism, if you do a search, you'll find many, many threads here on Dumpshock that discuss those issues in detail.

yea! ugh... I hate doing searches on here, too many of the common terms are used for so many different topics that searches are always returning everything in the database frown.gif
Fortune
Check out this site by Raygun. I know it's for SR3, but it should give you some ideas at least. smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
While I understand your desires, you just have to accept that this is a game based on abstracts for the most part. Firearms don't deserve to be any more realistic and highly detailed than any other item in the game despite your personal expertise in a given field.

For instance, there's a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle differences between a Toledo Longsword and a Fencing Sabre, yet both use the same generic rules for "Sword" and even the same weapon skill. So why should firearms get special treatment when almost everything else in the game works similarly to how they do?

For me, just using a variant name works just fine. Example: "Colt Python (Ruger Super Warhawk)" is exactly the same as "Toledo Longsword (Sword)" or "Ford Americar (Mercury Comet)."
l33tpenguin
Check out this site by Raygun. I know it's for SR3, but it should give you some ideas at least. smile.gif

omg wow.

Now to convince my GM to use those rules biggrin.gif:D:D:D

While I understand your desires, you just have to accept that this is a game based on abstracts for the most part. Firearms don't deserve to be any more realistic and highly detailed than any other item in the game despite your personal expertise in a given field.

For instance, there's a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle differences between a Toledo Longsword and a Fencing Sabre, yet both use the same generic rules for "Sword" and even the same weapon skill. So why should firearms get special treatment when almost everything else in the game works similarly to how they do?

For me, just using a variant name works just fine. Example: "Colt Python (Ruger Super Warhawk)" is exactly the same as "Toledo Longsword (Sword)" or "Ford Americar (Mercury Comet)."

I understand that. Its not the name adaptations compared to what is available today. I wasn't really suggesting a massive change, but merely a more accurate system where the gun was the delivery platform with traits appropriate and the round was what effects damage.

Part of this was spurred from two different styles of GMs. One GM wont let me take rounds from a dead bad guy and use it in my weapon because they are "specific to that gun" while another GM will, assuming that they are the same sub-type "heavy pistol" etc.
The desire to pull SMG rounds from a clip and load them into my heavy pistol (as SMGs usually just load magnum quality pistol ammunition) developed into this
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (l33tpenguin)
Part of this was spurred from two different styles of GMs. One GM wont let me take rounds from a dead bad guy and use it in my weapon because they are "specific to that gun" while another GM will, assuming that they are the same sub-type "heavy pistol" etc.

That's a house rule, which is perfectly fine to have. SR4 p. 312 goes into ammunition and compatibility with other firearms.

The desire to pull SMG rounds from a clip and load them into my heavy pistol (as SMGs usually just load magnum quality pistol ammunition) developed into this.

This particular example is actually supported by the aforementioned rule. However, the same rule also says that a GM is free to allow (or disallow by default) exchanging ammo between different types of weapons, which Heavy Pistols and SMGs are in the rules. The GM that was disallowing you to do so was simply using the basic rules while the one who would let you was exercising the GM discretion clause.
Begby
QUOTE (l33tpenguin @ Jul 29 2007, 08:29 PM)
A handgun that fires a 9mm round will inflict basically the same amount of damage as any other weapon firing the same 9mm round.  What the different weapon will effect will be rate of fire, accuracy, durability, etc. 

Palladium does this.

Don't forget that there's many types of rounds too, so in my mind a penetration value is useful. Ball ammo causes much smaller damage to flesh as it does not mushroom very well, but it goes through layers better, say if you're shooting at a car and want it to go through the door.
sunnyside
Well I'd just refer you to the cannon companion, which covers a lot of that. You could, of course, simply listen to what the players say they're doing, but they tend to casually leave things, like drawbacks, out.

I think SR deliberatly tries to avoid being too explicit with firearms. If you think DS threads on firearms are bad the ones by people talking about real life get worse. (sometimes we get a taste of that).

Also SR4 is particularily tricky because of the low granularity of damage. +2 DV corresponds to going up to a whole different class of weapon typically.

If you want to houserule stuff I would suggest adding factors that might not be so good. Otherwise you'll wind up with guns that are a lot better and mess with game balance. For example you could add "accurcacy" as a modifier to rolls but additionally add "max hits" to a firearm. The latter becuase if your firearm shoots foot wide groups at 100 yards from a locked bench you aren't going to be hitting someone in the eye at that range regardless of the cyber in your system (edge would probably let you bypass that limit).
By adding max hits you now have something your players can improve, but you effectivly made guns a little worse before they made them better.
kzt
My personal bias is to reduce the damage of pistols about 2 points (so holdout, MPs & light does 2, heavy does 3), keep the damage of assault rifles and LMGs at 6P, increase the damage of rifles and MMGs to 8P and HMGs to 12P. But I've never actually done this, as it also needs doing armor hit locations, which is a pain and I haven't found a pain free (enough) system to do this.

In terms of trying to come up with clever gun distinctions and models, they are pointless. At the scale SR is trying to simulate a Beretta M9 and a Glock 19 are the same other then magazine capacity. In the real world it tends to be personal preference and long-term durability that you really see differences, and I doubt that you really care that the Beretta frames tend to break at about 25,000 rounds while glocks don't.

For that matter, a .45, .40 and 9mm are close enough that you can't distinguish them in SR terms. They are all heavy pistols. It's .380, .25 and .22 that are light pistol calibers, if you want to think of it that way.

There are modifications you can make to pistols to make them really cool and spiffy. Go to an IPSC shoot some Saturday morning you will see people pull way cool pistols out of cases. They are called race guns, and using their assorted optical sights, compensators and assorted doohickeys they can shoot astonishingly well. Then they will lock them back up and shove a stock Glock in a belt holster before they get in their car and drive home.

Race guns are delicate and expensive toys used in competition, not what rational people would carry around with them for self-defense. And while a grand master IPSC shooter does indeed shoot measurably better with his race gun than without it, he can still shoot vastly better without it than an average shooter can with the experts race gun.

A factory stock gun doesn't have delicate parts that result in the gun going click instead of bang at an important moment. I'd let someone have a gun that allowed them to shoot a little better or draw a little qucker, but every time they drew it I'd roll to see how it worked this time, or if it had fallen out of his skeletonized super quick-draw holster while he was rolling around on the floor with some punk.

And the magazine sizes in the original post are about 50% too small vs reality.
l33tpenguin
Yes, I know the numbers were too low, they were just used as places holders since I didn't do any detailed research.

I don't know if I would change damage all that much. Getting hit with a 45 cal. round from a hand gun is usually more deadly than a .223 rem rifle round. The 45 is going to mushroom and do more damage while the 223 is going to just go right through the target. HOWEVER, a 223 is also going to be far more effective against armor. 9mm has been show to penetrate body armor better than 45 as well, even though it isn't as 'powerful' of a round. Against soft targets, though, the 45 has the upper hand.
psychophipps
QUOTE (l33tpenguin @ Jul 29 2007, 11:22 PM)
Getting hit with a 45 cal. round from a hand gun is usually more deadly than a .223 rem rifle round. The 45 is going to mushroom and do more damage while the 223 is going to just go right through the target.

Not the case at all. In fact, this is quite inaccurate on all points. The 5.56mm NATO round all but explodes when it hits a person and causes a wound that is best described as "absolutely devastating" provided it has enough meat around it to produce it's full potential effect. The "lack of stopping power" sometimes slated at the 5.56mm NATO round is based upon poor marksmanship than a real failure of the caliber as this caliber has been killing people just fine for about 50 years now, thanks.
One issue with older hollow point ammunition (standard ball or FMJ ammo, as is used by the military, doesn't expand) in pistol calibers was the lack of effective expansion of the bullet on impact with the target. Low muzzle energies and lack of effective metallurgical studies created a veritable expansion crapshoot when it came to HP handgun ammo. Modern hollow point ammunition has largely solved this issue except in extreme cases like shooting someone wearing a parka and having a large pillow up to their chest or something similarly unlikely.
The 9mm Para penetrates armor and light cover better than the .45ACP. This is what the round was designed to do and it's still a very lethal round by any standard. Ask any WWII vet on the european side how well the MP40 killed people.
The heavier .45 ACP bullet really shines when used at close quarters, as the heavy bullet quickly sheds accuracy at range, and against unarmored opponents, as it's larger size makes for a correspondingly larger hole in the target and it's lack of penetration ins't an issue. Of course, body armor is becoming more and more common on the battlefield and the street so the days of this cartridge for military and police uses are probably numbered.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )
kzt
QUOTE (l33tpenguin)
I don't know if I would change damage all that much. Getting hit with a 45 cal. round from a hand gun is usually more deadly than a .223 rem rifle round.

Do you happen to have a study that support this? I've tried and never been able to find one. All the ED mortality/morbidity studies I've found do too much lumping to be very useful for much other than showing that getting shot sucks. It's hard to even show that shotguns are particularly lethal, as they tend to get lumped into long arms along with .22 rifles. And ED mortality/morbidity studies don't include people who were clearly dead on the scene.

But from what I've seen and read Shadow Run's "regular" (FMJ) ammo the .45 will typically put a .45 inch hole in your chest, while the 5.56 will tumble and fragment. That's at reasonable ranges, at silly range for an assault rifle (over several hundreds of meters) the 5.56 will put a 5.56 mm hole in your chest while the .45 won't hit you. If you go to fancy ammo the .45 gets a lot more effective, but so does the 5.56 using TAP and similar. And the 5.56 will shoot through all soft body armor, while a .45 certainly won't.

Everybody wants every single hit to alway take out their opponent. Sorry, it isn't highly probable that it will until you reach M2 HMG scale rounds. And I strongly suspect you'll be really hard pressed to find a SWAT or other specialized tactical unit that chooses to use .45 pistols for the entire entry team instead of ARs or 9mm SMGs. There also has been a continuing shift from 9mm SMGs to 5.56mm assault rifles for several reasons, such as the body armor penetration issue you mentioned.
Whipstitch
Erm, yeah, I have to agree with psycho on that one. High velocity rounds tear themselves apart pretty damn fast once they meet meaningful resistance because it's damn hard to make anything that can resist those kind of forces. And if it's a body causing that resistance, it's pretty much goodnight Gracie. Over penetration isn't -that- big of a deal with such weapons either. The reason rifles are a safety concern and not allowed for hunting in some populated areas is more about their effective range than anything else. A typical hunting round generally isn't going to tear through some deer and nail some poor hunter on the other side of the field (mostly because the round may exit the victim, but there's very little of the round left at this point, most of it's torn up and expended its energy on the victim), but you could very well end up hitting someone you can hardly even see if you miss. I don't know crap about -actually using- handguns and couldn't comment on .45s though. I only have personal experience with the weapons used to routinely kill innocent li'l woodland critters.
psychophipps
QUOTE (l33tpenguin)
What if I wanted a Predator IV in full auto? What about modifying a pistol to include recoil compensation, since there are real pistols with gas vented recoil compensation?

This kinda brings me to a nit pick about weapons in most rpgs. I wish firearms were handled on a more realistic term for damage. A handgun that fires a 9mm round will inflict basically the same amount of damage as any other weapon firing the same 9mm round. What the different weapon will effect will be rate of fire, accuracy, durability, etc.
A list of fire arms would include name, caliber, rate of fire, accuracy
A sublist would include capacity of clips available.
A list of ammunition would include name, damage, effective range, effectiveness against armor

Beretta 92, 9mm, semi auto
Glock 18, 9mm, full auto
-extended magazine 20 rounds

Ares Predator IV, 45 cal, semi auto
-extended magazine 15 rounds (-1 con)
Glock 23, 45 cal, semi auto
-standard magazine 7 rounds
Colt Python, 45 cal, semi auto
cylinder 6 rounds

Any thoughts? how much would you let players modify their weapons? and when do we get more guns?

Well, the standard magazine capacity of a Beretta 92F pistol is 15 rounds (17 for the recent revision of this excellent weapon), not 9. The standard magazine capacity of the Glock 18 was (they're not made anymore) 17 rounds just like the G17 (as the 18 was just a modified 17 with a selector switch). A glock 23 (which is .40 S&W not .45 ACP) has a standard magazine capacity of 13 rounds and the Colt Python was a .357 magnum revolver with a .38 special target variant, not a .45 caliber revolver.They have aftermarket magazines for these autoloading weapons with higher capacities but the above magazines come with the weapon standard when you purchase one.
Gas venting a handgun is largely a waste due to short barrels (less time to control recoil impulse before the bullet has already left the barrel and the gasses expand out the muzzle) and low energies to divert to the purpose of recoil compensation (a 9mm Para round generates less than 1/3 the useful energy of a 5.56mm NATO round). Non-large magnum cartridges (.44 magnum+) simply lack the basic energy to make gas venting truly effective at anything but looking cool.
A fully automatic Predator (which I see as being the .44 Desert Eagle of SR) would make for an excellent extremely short-range anti-aircraft weapon. The recoil after shot #2 or so would simply drive the barrel up to make it all but impossible to effectively bring back down on the target. It would be like one-handing a jackhammer. Looks cool as hell for sure, but doesn't get much real work done.

l33tpenguin
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jul 30 2007, 02:38 AM)

Well, the standard magazine capacity of a Beretta 92F pistol is 15 rounds (17 for the recent revision of this excellent weapon), not 9. The standard magazine capacity of the Glock 18 was (they're not made anymore) 17 rounds just like the G17 (as the 18 was just a modified 17 with a selector switch). A glock 23 (which is .40 S&W not .45 ACP) has a standard magazine capacity of 13 rounds and the Colt Python was a .357 magnum revolver with a .38 special target variant, not a .45 caliber revolver.They have aftermarket magazines for these autoloading weapons with higher capacities but the above magazines come with the weapon standard when you purchase one.
Gas venting a handgun is largely a waste due to short barrels (less time to control recoil impulse before the bullet has already left the barrel and the gasses expand out the muzzle) and low energies to divert to the purpose of recoil compensation (a 9mm Para round generates less than 1/3 the useful energy of a 5.56mm NATO round). Non-large magnum cartridges (.44 magnum+) simply lack the basic energy to make gas venting truly effective at anything but looking cool.
A fully automatic Predator (which I see as being the .44 Desert Eagle of SR) would make for an excellent extremely short-range anti-aircraft weapon. The recoil after shot #2 or so would simply drive the barrel up to make it all but impossible to effectively bring back down on the target. It would be like one-handing a jackhammer. Looks cool as hell for sure, but doesn't get much real work done.

like I said before, don't take apart those numbers, I was just jotting down stuff to provide a variance of platforms as an example.

The whole intent of this is to look at a system in SR that uses the firearm as the delivery platform for the ammunition that carries the actual damage stats.

The original post wasn't supposed to be a "these are real specifications of real guns"
kzt
The problem is that the system doesn't allow much variation without creating a super weapon. Which, I'd argue, is what the predator IV is. It's a supergun, shooting bullets that do as much damage as an short barreled AK, but with armor piercing.

It's also absurd. To make something absurd any more effective would be insane from a game balance point of view.

Other note, pistols should all have negative AP ratings. Pistols suck at putting holes in hard, tough objects. It's just the nature of pistol cartridges and bullets. (The exception are insanities like the various AR and AK "pistols" and monstrous handguns for hunting dangerous game.) That's one of the reason why I feel need the hit location system that I can't yet make work, so you can shoot people where their armor doesn't work.
TheOneRonin
I've managed to put together a spreadsheet of firearms for Shadowrun that, IMHO, does modern calibers and terminal ballistics justice (within the framework of 4th Ed rules). I'd be more than happy to share with anyone who is interested, though the info does have a few caveats:

1. I have "caliberized" most Shadowrun specific firearms and listed them along with their real world counterparts. Not everyone will agree with my selections, so just be prepared.

2. I have made some significant changes to the damage/AP codes for the different weapons. They do, however, remain largely consistent when comparing the same caliber ammunition when fired from different platforms.

3. The change in damage and ap ratings necessitated an overhaul of the armor ratings as presented in the BBB. I used the NIJ Body Army white paper for guidance. For these firearms to work as intended in a Shadowrun game, you'll need the armor rules too.

4. These rules have been field tested several times by my players. Although they work for my group, they won't always work for yours.

Once I get the files hosted, I would be more than happy to answer any questions about the stats I chose and how I came to those conclusions.

MaxHunter
Well, I haven't tinkered around much with damage values and other stats, but I am using some hard and fast pseudocaliber rules just to add a little more depth into my game. So far my players are loving it, so here's the buzz.

SMGs and Heavy Pistols may share ammo

Hold outs, Light pistols, machine pistols and similar guns share ammo.

Rifles share ammo according to damage value, same as shotguns

Assault rifles can share ammo only among themselves.

Additionally, some guns, like the Superwarhawk, Ak 97 or the Sakura Fubuki use different calibers and can't really share within their class. However, in some combat environments it pays off to have the same kind of gun that the opposition has, in order to "liberate" ammo from bodies.

In a current game, a group of runners are in the middle of the Yucatán conflict. Both the rebels and the Aztlán forces use AKs. Three runners are packing FN-HARs and an Alpha, they really must conserve ammo because in the jungle they won't be able to get new clips. [and they lost some of the XX clips when the Aztlaners napalmed their campsite]
A couple of them are carrying Aks and are having a much easier time. Also, I asked them all to roll armorer [2] after a week or so, if they failed their rifles had become dirty and more unreliable [basically gained the Gremlins 2 quality], hits reducing the penalty. Of course, the threshold for the Ak was less, because the gun is well known for its reliability. Maybe I am a fan of Aks! Anyway these rulings are working just fine, sound sufficiently realistic for our game, are not so complex as to require any bookeeping and have added lots of new dimensions into the game.

Cheers,

Max

Now I would like to do something like that for concealability...

eidolon
QUOTE (kzt)
That's one of the reason why I feel need the hit location system that I can't yet make work, so you can shoot people where their armor doesn't work.

Isn't that the explicit purpose of the called shot rules?
Cursedsoul
I think he might be getting at the need for a system that allows you to potentially hit someone where their armor doesn't count and vice versa.

For someone with an Armor Vest they aren't getting any protection in the arms, legs, and head which means that simply getting hit could result in getting tagged in the arm or something and thus you'd have no armor protecting you.

Called shots are there for intentionally bypassing armor/aiming at a critical location so you can make it a certainty (if you hit) that you rob them of their armor or hit'em where it's least effective or gonna hurt the most if it penetrates.

That being said, a hit location system is rather hard to hammer out because I think it's implied that an unaimed shot is aiming center mass because that's the easiest thing to hit, at least if the target is standing still. A guy walking/running/ducking/diving/dodging/weaving/etc reduces the chance of that happening so...yeah. Still going to be the most likely area you'll get hit, but the probability drops a fair amount I should think.

I think a hit location system could be relatively easy to do if someone is walking into a suppressive fire zone because the whole point of that is to make sure you keep your head down and make it a very bad idea if you don't. You could simply roll a d6 and call it maybe 1-2 is a limb, 3-4 is a torso, and 5-6 is a headshot, or maybe 1 is a limb, 2-5 is a body shot, and 6 is one in the brainbox.

I suppose the same could potentially be said for grenade shrapnel (or just shrapnel in general) but then things start getting way too complicated I think because it's not just bullets it's the shockwaves and whatnot that result from a grenade being detonated that come into play.

While I don't have much experience in-game at all, I think it'd just overcomplicate things. Combat already has things like cover and visibility to keep track of that this could slow things down a bit further.
Ed_209a
Regarding ammo compatibility, I bet the security/military field uses the ammunition Ares tells them to.

I can see Ares (or some other AAA) just monopolizing ammo production to the point that you either use 10mmA (for Ares) in your heavy pistol, or you handload.

Speaking of the AK series, I have always pictured the AK97 as the AK100-series, just re-engineered to be smartgun-friendly.

I also think that the AK47 will be alive and well in 2050, made in the machine-shop equivalents of street doc clinics, on cheap CNC machines.
Eleazar
QUOTE (Cursedsoul)
I think he might be getting at the need for a system that allows you to potentially hit someone where their armor doesn't count and vice versa.

For someone with an Armor Vest they aren't getting any protection in the arms, legs, and head which means that simply getting hit could result in getting tagged in the arm or something and thus you'd have no armor protecting you.

Called shots are there for intentionally bypassing armor/aiming at a critical location so you can make it a certainty (if you hit) that you rob them of their armor or hit'em where it's least effective or gonna hurt the most if it penetrates.

That being said, a hit location system is rather hard to hammer out because I think it's implied that an unaimed shot is aiming center mass because that's the easiest thing to hit, at least if the target is standing still. A guy walking/running/ducking/diving/dodging/weaving/etc reduces the chance of that happening so...yeah. Still going to be the most likely area you'll get hit, but the probability drops a fair amount I should think.

I think a hit location system could be relatively easy to do if someone is walking into a suppressive fire zone because the whole point of that is to make sure you keep your head down and make it a very bad idea if you don't. You could simply roll a d6 and call it maybe 1-2 is a limb, 3-4 is a torso, and 5-6 is a headshot, or maybe 1 is a limb, 2-5 is a body shot, and 6 is one in the brainbox.

I suppose the same could potentially be said for grenade shrapnel (or just shrapnel in general) but then things start getting way too complicated I think because it's not just bullets it's the shockwaves and whatnot that result from a grenade being detonated that come into play.

While I don't have much experience in-game at all, I think it'd just overcomplicate things. Combat already has things like cover and visibility to keep track of that this could slow things down a bit further.

Shooting a target in a specific location should not be left to chance. It should be based upon skill. I do understand that sometime you can only shoot in the general direction and hope for a hit. In this case though, you will always be aiming for the body. Location to some degree is already covered in the rules, though abstract. The more hits you get, the more accurate your shot was in hitting a vital organ, thus more damage. The less hits you get, the less accurate your shot was in hitting a vital organ, thus less damage. If you want to do any other type of shot I think it is already very well covered in the rules. The only thing one might want to do is house rule some of the called shot options.
Cursedsoul
The more hits you get, the more accurate your shot was in hitting a vital organ, thus more damage. The less hits you get, the less accurate your shot was in hitting a vital organ, thus less damage. If you want to do any other type of shot I think it is already very well covered in the rules. The only thing one might want to do is house rule some of the called shot options.

Yeah, I was thinking of that while posting but the thing is, your target still gets to roll their armor for the damage resistance, no matter how many hits you got on your initial shot. A guy who got a bunch of hits on his attack roll did indeed hit more accurately and in a more damaging fashion but their target's armor still gets to absorb it which would be why a hit location system would be necessary to determine if armor is in fact, a factor.

I think the rules work pretty well as is but I agree with both sides.

On the one hand the whole point of the opposed test with the attacker rolling attribute + skill versus the defender rolling Attribute + skill is so that the guy getting shot at CAN get his armor in the way. While I'm not gonna wanna get shot if I can help it, I'm also gonna try to get out of the way in such a manner as to maximize the chance of my armor getting in between me and the bullet if possible.

For a guy with the dodge skill using full defense, I think that's exactly what they're doing to a certain extent. I don't think it's any real stretch to imagine it encompassing training in how to properly duck n' dive so as to maximize the effectiveness of armor and/or the surroundings.

For a guy without the dodge skill and simply rolling their reaction, they're still gonna be doin' that to the best of their ability or what have you.

Meanwhile your shooter is doing their best to anticipate what their target is going to do and make sure to aim and fire where and when it's gonna be to maximum effect.

Now on the other hand, you have all of that but if you're hit in the arm or the foot and aren't wearing an armored jacket or armored shoes, you're gonna get hit in THAT area without protection and the difference between a guy rolling 8 armor dice and a guy rolling no armor dice is well, a very happy guy versus a very unhappy guy, although I'm sure they're both equally mad at having just been shot.
eidolon
I suppose that, like a lot of things in RPGs, it all comes down to how comfortable you are with the level of abstraction used.
Cursedsoul
Quite. And what kind of feel you want for your game. And how impatient/hyped up on caffeine and sugar your players (and GM) are. smile.gif
Blink
Whether a semi-automatic can be made automatic is dependant on the action. I could give examples but I don't think the mods would like it. The problem is that kitchen table automatics are usually a little on the unstable side. If the player drops the gun there may be a 1/10 chance that it'll go off.
TheOneRonin
Or, in my case, how much of firearms rules as written makes the whole gaming table feel like their brains are bleeding out of their ears.

Actually, I can wrap my head around a lot of abstractions. You HAVE to if you are going to play any RPGs at all. What gets to me the most are abstract rules that make things in the game world completely assbackwards from what they are in real life.

Sure, I can deal with the small things, but other shit just kills me. If it really would be as hard to hit shit with autofire IRL as it is in the game, no one would ever use any kind of fully automatic weapon, EVER. If pistols really do more tissue damage, penetrate armor better, and are just as accurate as assault rifles, then it makes no sense to use anything but pistols a majority of the time. Shit in the real world just isn't like that. And I balk at game rules that follow that trend.

I want my game world to be about choices. Instead of:

"Well, if I take my Predator to the meet, I'll have an easily concealable weapon, but I'm fucked if there are more than a few goons in body armor. If I bring my HK 227, I can probably conceal it under my coat, though anyone who checks me out could easily tell I'm packing. Multiple goons won't be a problem, though, seeing as how I have 32round mags and burst/auto fire. Maybe I should just go all-out and bring my Ares Alpha. It screams 'I take no bullshit', damn near ignores armor, and has a grenade launcher to boot. Of course, if the meet is in-doors, I might be fucked trying to maneuver that bad boy indoors. And since everyone will be able to tell I'm expecting trouble, it might turn into a self-fullfilling prophecy."

...we have:

"I bring my Viper Slivergun to the meet. Concealable, 30 round mag, BF capable, and lethal even vs. armor. Why on earth would I carry anything else?"

...or better yet:

"Okay, so the job is to break into the secure corporate compound, extract the scientist, and escape? I'll bring my Ranger Arm SM-4 sniper rifle loaded with ExEx ammo and fitted with a silencer. What's that you say? How am I going to use a sniper rifle in close quarters? Simple...I have 14 dice and a low-light/thermo/image mag scope. Full dice pool, baby!"

deek
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Or, in my case, how much of firearms rules as written makes the whole gaming table feel like their brains are bleeding out of their ears.

Actually, I can wrap my head around a lot of abstractions. You HAVE to if you are going to play any RPGs at all. What gets to me the most are abstract rules that make things in the game world completely assbackwards from what they are in real life.

Sure, I can deal with the small things, but other shit just kills me. If it really would be as hard to hit shit with autofire IRL as it is in the game, no one would ever use any kind of fully automatic weapon, EVER. If pistols really do more tissue damage, penetrate armor better, and are just as accurate as assault rifles, then it makes no sense to use anything but pistols a majority of the time. Shit in the real world just isn't like that. And I balk at game rules that follow that trend.

But, some of us that have no actual experience or understanding of real weapons, don't really care and don't see anything as bassackwards...I mean, I know where you are coming from, but there are also GMs and players like me that really don't care and if a weapon in the book says "xyz", then that is what it is and we just play...
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (deek)

But, some of us that have no actual experience or understanding of real weapons, don't really care and don't see anything as bassackwards...I mean, I know where you are coming from, but there are also GMs and players like me that really don't care and if a weapon in the book says "xyz", then that is what it is and we just play...

Indeed, deek. That suits many players just fine. But it doesn't work for us. It's sorta the same thing as them statting out the average pickup truck to have more acceleration and maneuverability than your average crotch-rocket or commuter cars being more expensive than stretch limos. I'm no auto expert (I can barely change the oil in my van), but I know those two examples are wrong. They don't make sense on a fundamental level. And because firearms are much less universally prevalent than automobiles, people generally have less understanding of them. So I can see how the designers had some "severely skewed" ideas in their heads about how guns work. Still, it doesn't excuse the fact that much of this could have been rectified by the designers speaking to SOMEONE who had at least a modicum of real-world firearm knowledge.

deek
Understood, but I think it is worthwhile to know whether the detailed firearms gurus are in the minority or majority, ya know?

I mean, I am techincal by nature and by work, when it comes to electronics and career...so I understand where you are coming from. There are a lot of computer and matrix stuff that don't jive with my personal experience...
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
While I understand your desires, you just have to accept that this is a game based on abstracts for the most part.  Firearms don't deserve to be any more realistic and highly detailed than any other item in the game despite your personal expertise in a given field.

Actually Doc, I think the original game designers disagree with you there.

For instance, there's a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle differences between a Toledo Longsword and a Fencing Sabre, yet both use the same generic rules for "Sword" and even the same weapon skill.  So why should firearms get special treatment when almost everything else in the game works similarly to how they do?

If this was the intent of the original game developers, I think we would have had firearms listed as:

CODE
Light Pistol
Heavy Pistol
Submachinegun
Shotgun
Assault Rifle
Machinegun

instead of

CODE

Light Pistols:
-Cavalier Deputy
-Colt America L36
-Fichetti Security 600

Heavy Pistols:
-Ares Predator
-Colt Manhunter
-Browning Max-power
-Ruger Super Warhawk

SMGs:
-AK 97 Carbine
-HK 227
-Ingram Smartgun

etc...

For me, just using a variant name works just fine.  Example:  "Colt Python (Ruger Super Warhawk)" is exactly the same as "Toledo Longsword (Sword)" or "Ford Americar (Mercury Comet)."

Which pretty much brings you back to generic "Submachine gun" or "Heavy Pistol".
Can you say "WoD system"?
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (deek)
Understood, but I think it is worthwhile to know whether the detailed firearms gurus are in the minority or majority, ya know?

I mean, I am techincal by nature and by work, when it comes to electronics and career...so I understand where you are coming from.  There are a lot of computer and matrix stuff that don't jive with my personal experience...

Hehe...I get double whammied with SR because I do sysadmin work for a living.

And I would bet that firearm gurus are in the minority, as far as the global shadowrun community is concerned. But just because your core gaming population isn't 90% Special Forces operators or Ballistic Scientists doesn't mean it's a good idea to ignore such things all together. Just look at all the medical drama shows on TV. While the actual scenarios may bet far fetched, I'll be RL doctors and nurses would say that a lot of stuff the actors say/do is fairly accurate. And why is that? Because it would be silly for someone like me to to write a medical drama because of all the glaring inaccuracies that would be present. So they bring in an expert or two to consult on the writing. Seeing as how Shadowrun has so VERY much to do with firearms, ranged combat, and terminal ballistics, I don't think having some expert input is too much to ask.

Shrike30
I'm one of the guys who gets into it whenever the "realistic firearms in SR" thing comes up, but I'm actually comfortable with the level of abstraction that goes on.

High skill level versus armored target? We've got called shot rules for that, and simply getting more successes helps get around armor pretty frequently, making it so you don't even have to call a shot.

AK97 carbine does less damage than a heavy pistol? I'll buy that... you chop an assault rifle down so short that it qualifies as an SMG, you're going to have issues with the round performing like it's supposed to because of the reduced speeds, whereas a 10mm round is generally okay at doing it's job when fired from a 4" barrel. For all we know, the AK97 starts keyholing at 10 meters.

Autofire isn't too effective? Short/Long bursts make putting down a single opponent in a single action (rather than having to fire several rounds at them) a lot easier, and recoil compensation is readily available.

The short version is, I don't care enough to worry about it, and when something does bug me a little tweak to it's use (be it a change in damage code, a penalty for using it in some situations, or the like) is easy enough to accomplish.

As for medical dramas? Watching "ER" or "House" with a family (including myself) that is mostly in the medical field is entertaining, to say the least. The heckling never stops. spin.gif
Ed_209a
I think SR4 firearms can be "rightsized" fairly easily.

Accept pistol ammo as the base. When we look strictly at the ability to create a wound, SMGs do a little more than pistols, and ARs do a little more than SMGs. That feels right to my head.

The big change is in penetration, or put differently, what it takes to stop that damage. Standard SMG stats feel right if they are using light pistol ammo. AR and up have way too low of a AP mod. I would raise ARs to -4 or -5, then balance LMGs and up from there. Here's why:

Today, standard tactical armor (IIIA for the enthusiasts) will stop cold anything a SMG or heavy pistol can throw at it, leaving you with a painful bruise, and perhaps a broken rib. (please don't muddy the water with freaks like 500S&W mag)

Assault rifle rounds go through IIIA and you with power to spare. Today, you have to double the weight of your armor just to step up from SMG protection to rifle protection. In 2070, armor will be much lighter, but I believe the doubling will still be there.
CyberKender
I have to laugh a bit. ED's comments are pretty much the sort of things I used to say about why I liked 1st Edition's Staging. Yeah, it was more complex, and, yeah, armor was too effective, but I liked how it effectively took into account the difference between small, fast bullets vs. big, slow bullets.
Shrike30
The trick becomes, then, how do you make class III and IV armors ("combat armor" if you want to call class IIIA "tactical armor") work in this system? I can see an arguement for making them Hardened, but that's about the only way I can see it working.

It does create a niche for APDS ammo in pistol-caliber weapons, though...
Ed_209a
This is a good question, and one I don't know the answer to right offhand. The abstract nature of SR armor vs location means makes it difficult. After all, an armored longcoat (lvl II, I'd say) has nearly the same protection as an armored jacket (Lvl IIIa/III), because it covers more.

I really wish SR4 used locations. You could always just find any RPG that uses a D6-based location roll (Battletech and GURPS come to mind) and use that location chart. Locations covered by a given armor would be simple enough from the descriptions. If you want locaton effects done easy, limbs do 1/2 number of final points, head double, torso normal.

I am not sure hardened armor is the answer, because you do usually end up with severe bruising (stun damage), just not to the same level of impairment (number of boxes) as if the bullet was not stopped.
kzt
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
The big change is in penetration, or put differently, what it takes to stop that damage. Standard SMG stats feel right if they are using light pistol ammo. AR and up have way too low of a AP mod. I would raise ARs to -4 or -5, then balance LMGs and up from there.

I'd rather make pistol bullets less effective (With +AP ratings) than make AR bullets much more effective, but either would work.
kzt
QUOTE (Shrike30)
It does create a niche for APDS ammo in pistol-caliber weapons, though...

Reality is that you can't make particularly effective AP ammo for pistols, and what limited AP ammo you can make trades off effectiveness of wounding for the AP effect. Very stable, hard, non-fragmenting or expanding bullets are needed for AP effects. The reverse is wanted for wounding effects.

And the phrase APDS, as used in SR, is another example of the designers learning everything they know about guns from comic books and bad movies.
G.NOME
The "DS" in "APDS" is kind of suspect.

Of course, they might be talking about "true" flechettes.

EDIT: Well, the SR-1 is pretty good against body armor, supposedly.
eidolon
As a slight aside, I would rather situations like
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
"Okay, so the job is to break into the secure corporate compound, extract the scientist, and escape? I'll bring my Ranger Arm SM-4 sniper rifle loaded with ExEx ammo and fitted with a silencer. What's that you say? How am I going to use a sniper rifle in close quarters? Simple...I have 14 dice and a low-light/thermo/image mag scope. Full dice pool, baby!"

be up to me as GM, instead of having a rule to cover it.
Begby
QUOTE (l33tpenguin)
Getting hit with a 45 cal. round from a hand gun is usually more deadly than a .223 rem rifle round.

I'd agree. It's designed that way for a reason. .223 cartriges have a massive muzzle velocity, and the bullet often "rolls" or shards upon impact, so while it does not leave as large a killing exit wound, it can often cause lots of internal bleeding. The round was adopted for warfare because of this. When you wound a man, it forces his friends to go get him, effectively removing them from combat as well. Military wants quasi-lethal rifles, and the .223 serves this purpose. If you've ever examined this cartridge it's a huge powder chamber tipped with a tiny bullet, and muzzle velocities are enormous. 3300+ feet per second is the norm, with "hot loads" approaching 3700. Most larger bore hunting and sniper rifles are in the 2000-2800 range, relying on the kinetic energy of the weight of the bullet rather than the sheer velocity. These are more useful for that one-shot-one-kill kinda action.
mfb
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)

...why? there are clear-cut, easy-to-understand--and therefore easy to codify into game mechanics--reasons why a long gun is worse to use in a close fight than a more compact weapon. why would you want to make more work for yourself when the rules are more than capable of handling it? and if you prefer to do that work yourself, why use the rules at all?
Shrike30
QUOTE (kzt @ Jul 30 2007, 04:41 PM)
Reality is that you can't make particularly effective AP ammo for pistols, and what limited AP ammo you can make trades off effectiveness of wounding for the AP effect.  Very stable, hard, non-fragmenting or expanding bullets are needed for AP effects.  The reverse is wanted for wounding effects.

And the phrase APDS, as used in SR, is another example of the designers learning everything they know about guns from comic books and bad movies.

SR has the advantage of being IN TEH FUTAR! Makes things like APDS ammo a little more tolerable to me... basically, I'm willing to put up with it having a silly name because, for game balance purposes, there's nothing wrong with the round.

Ammunition like the .224 BOZ and 5.7mm would seem to indicate that if they can get the stability problem licked, firing saboted subcaliber ammunition out of a handgun wouldn't be the worst way to try and increase penetration. Tweaking the round some (maybe lowering the DV in exchange for some increased AP, in a way that makes it worthwhile to load it) would be perfectly reasonable.
Blink
QUOTE (Begby @ Jul 30 2007, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (l33tpenguin @ Jul 30 2007, 01:22 AM)
Getting hit with a 45 cal. round from a hand gun is usually more deadly than a .223 rem rifle round.

I'd agree. It's designed that way for a reason. .223 cartriges have a massive muzzle velocity, and the bullet often "rolls" or shards upon impact, so while it does not leave as large a killing exit wound, it can often cause lots of internal bleeding. The round was adopted for warfare because of this. When you wound a man, it forces his friends to go get him, effectively removing them from combat as well. Military wants quasi-lethal rifles, and the .223 serves this purpose. If you've ever examined this cartridge it's a huge powder chamber tipped with a tiny bullet, and muzzle velocities are enormous. 3300+ feet per second is the norm, with "hot loads" approaching 3700. Most larger bore hunting and sniper rifles are in the 2000-2800 range, relying on the kinetic energy of the weight of the bullet rather than the sheer velocity. These are more useful for that one-shot-one-kill kinda action.

The effective range for a .45 bullet is about 50 yards, and that's pushing it. On the other hand, if the guy shooting back at you is 600 yards or less away, he can still get you because that is within range of a .223 shot with an M16. Always keep that in mind.
eidolon
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 30 2007, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)

...why? there are clear-cut, easy-to-understand--and therefore easy to codify into game mechanics--reasons why a long gun is worse to use in a close fight than a more compact weapon. why would you want to make more work for yourself when the rules are more than capable of handling it? and if you prefer to do that work yourself, why use the rules at all?

I see it differently is all.

For one, I don't "not want any rules", I just don't need a rule for every little nit-picky situation. If I did I'd play d20. Rules bloat is enough of a pain in the ass already.
Shadowrun, or any role playing game, does not need to be played 100% the same at every table in the world. WotC might have managed to convince a lot of people otherwise, but that doesn't make their end product any less bland and boring. You can't fix everything with codified rules. When you try, your game becomes unplayable, or those rules are ignored, making them pointless in the first place.

For two, if players or a group don't know or don't care that using a meter long rifle for room clearing doesn't really work all that well, and might just be a bad idea, but they're having fun anyway, then who gives a damn? You or me, because we know better? We're not in that game with that group. What we know or think doesn't make a bit of difference. And since we know better, we are free to apply a penalty, or to otherwise hamper a character (and thus a player) that attempts to do so in our games. Codified rules for gun length penalties while engaging in close combat might sound great to a rules junkie, but to a casual player, or just someone that wants a game that they don't have to take student loans out to learn, it's just some random piece of nonsensical bullshit that they have to take into account.

It's abstract. It always has been. But you're free to pull a Raygun if it's abstract, and make the game fun for yourself. That's fantastic. But I know that if I had to use every "realistic" set of rules that I have seen for Shadowrun over the years, I'd have stopped playing a long damn time ago. Just about everyone I have ever gamed with would say the same thing.

edit: I just took another look at how you phrased this;
QUOTE (mfb)
why would you want to make more work for yourself when the rules are more than capable of handling it?

Again, not everyone even sees that there's "work" to be done there. And that's my point.
Cursedsoul
I say screw firearms and make yourself a Troll with a Meta-man portable dwarf launching catapult. biggrin.gif Maybe some sorta gigantor crossbow (probably bordering on a Crossbow-Ballista hybrid) with lots of whirly gears and shiny parts to make you the envy of all. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I definitely agree with the sentiment that house rules are the way to go if you want "realistic" combat because that way no space is wasted in the book and more people will come to Dumpshock and sample our fine gourmet cuisine of threads such as these in order to guide them in hashing out their own spin on the subject.

Also, I'm tellin' ya this dwarfapult is the way to go. You can even dikote'em (assuming they ever bring it back...and they probably won't...with good reason wink.gif ) and give'em a pointy object to hold to get yourself a bonafide armorpiercing projectile from hell. grinbig.gif
kzt
What I mostly find annoying isn't that the rules are not detailed enough, it's that the rules show that the people writing the rules just don't have a clue. It's like writing vehicle rules that have semis accelerating faster then sports cars and pickup trucks carrying more than a semi, while delivery vans are have better off-road characteristics than dune buggies, as well as continually using the word "torque" to mean "speed".

The exact same amount of space in rules and the tables could have been used and we could get a much more sane set of rules that don't add to complexity. And didn't produce two or three superguns and a bunch of clunkers.
mfb
QUOTE (eidolon)
I see it differently is all.

For one, I don't "not want any rules", I just don't need a rule for every little nit-picky situation. If I did I'd play d20. Rules bloat is enough of a pain in the ass already.
Shadowrun, or any role playing game, does not need to be played 100% the same at every table in the world. WotC might have managed to convince a lot of people otherwise, but that doesn't make their end product any less bland and boring. You can't fix everything with codified rules. When you try, your game becomes unplayable, or those rules are ignored, making them pointless in the first place.

i agree. however, i think the best solution to that is to provide a scaling ruleset, one that's easy to take from simple to detailed. that way, the GM's job is easy--he just decides what level of detail to use, and the rules are there to support him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012