Full Version: Firearms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Kingmaker
There are rules for suppressing fire?
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Kingmaker)

QUOTE (Shadowrun Main Rules Book @ pg 144)

Suppressive Fire

I'm not posting the actual text because I don't want to get "suppressed" by the copyright Nazis.
Schaeffer
QUOTE (Critias)
Which, instead, entails flinging most of the ranged combat rules of the game right out the window (including any sort of requirement to even have the right skill, all the recoil stuff we've mentioned, smartlinks doing any good, not being able to see your target in the first place, how dodging works, you name it).

If that's not it's own can of worms, I don't know what is.

Since the rules don't seem to agree with your style of play, do you just bite your lip and drive on with the RAW, or have you come up with some sort of house rules to get things done?
kzt
QUOTE (Critias)
how dodging works, you name it

Well, I'd still like to see someone dodge bullets IRL. It's a common feature of RPGs, but it's another example of learning everything from comic books. But I've never gotten anyone to accept my challenge to demonstrate how it works. sarcastic.gif

The reality about why clever people in gunfights get behind hard cover is that you can't shoot accurately unless your sights are stable, which means you have to be stable. Assuming a good solid shooting position in the open means you get shot. Assuming a good, solid shooting position where the bad guys can't see you and have only a 8 square inch piece of you not in behind hard cover tends to greatly reduce the chances of you getting shot. Running around and dodging in the open means that you can't actually shoot effectively, and it doesn't make it that much harder to get shot.

Dodging from cover to cover in short dashes is the only way you cover open ground when people are shooting at you, and it still isn't the safest idea in the world.
TheOneRonin
Of course, once the projectile has left the muzzle of a modern firearm, no one is going to be fast enough to "dodge" it. Face it, we all know this to be a fact, and we all know that "dodging bullets" is an abstraction, and is usually meant to be the RPG equivalent of "moving in such a way to make yourself a difficult target.

I believe some years back I read a interview with some RPG developer who had some things to say about combat in RPGs...specifically about how in most RPGs, actually hitting in ranged/melee combat is much, much easier and happens much more frequently than in real life. His philosophy was that combat isn't fun if the players miss 80%-90% of the time. And that the rules do the opposite of that so as to make combat more fun, more satisfying, and take less time to play out than they would otherwise.

I understand his point...at least a little. However, I think that's a very short-sighted view for a game developer. And I think it short-changes the tactical side of combat. That approach is fine for Heroic/High Fantasy type games, but isn't worth a crap in modern/post-modern high-tech games.

Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 2 2007, 10:31 AM)

Well, I'd still like to see someone dodge bullets IRL. It's a common feature of RPGs, but it's another example of learning everything from comic books. But I've never gotten anyone to accept my challenge to demonstrate how it works. sarcastic.gif

You don't dodge bullets, you dodge shots.
Someone points a gun in your direction, you move, they shoot. The shot hits or it doesn't. A simple way to resolve that is with the attack/dodge mechanic, it doesn't mean characters are sitting around playing cards waiting for the bullet to start heading in their direction to consider moving.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Schaeffer)

Since the rules don't seem to agree with your style of play, do you just bite your lip and drive on with the RAW, or have you come up with some sort of house rules to get things done?

I can't speak for Critias, but I know I have house-ruled SR almost to death.

I started developing house rules for SR4 before the PDF was even released. Once I had a sample of rules/stats, I had an idea for what needed fixing.

My house rules aren't perfect (autofire seems to be the most difficult to model properly), but they adequately suit my suspension of disbelief, seem to mirror the way guns/bullets behave in real life, and accomplish those with what I believe is a modicum of rules bloat.
Moon-Hawk
I think a good fix for autofire is to allow every bullet past the first to give +1DV (narrow burst), -1 die to dodge (wide burst), or +1 die on the attack (searching fire), in any combination.
All the standard rules are available as special cases of this rule, but overall it gives you a bit more freedom and lets you adjust your autofire to have the effect you want.
I will note that the searching fire option is only really meaningful if you have recoil compensation. If not, it's just a convenient way to get rid of more bullets than single-shot.
stable_sort
Recoil and recoil compensation always seemed a little half-baked to me, though RC is a little better in SR4 than in 3 (for me, 3 was worse because of all the odd RC bonuses in CC).

You start with a penalty that rapidly gets harsh and then need to add a variety of options to reduce the penalty (6 out of 18 items under Firearms Accessories provide recoil compensation -- counting the Smart Firing Platform). Some accessories are mutually incompatible, and others come with guns stock (at least most Longarms come with Shock Pads now, though for some reason most Assault Rifles don't).

To make things worse, there's the Ingram White Knight and the Stoner-Ares M202. The 5-point gas vent and low price make the IWK far better than the M202 for half the price.

I'm not terribly concerned about realism -- much more about game balance and giving some reward to using tactics that are productive in practice.
kzt
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
You don't dodge bullets, you dodge shots.

Someone points a gun in your direction, you move, they shoot. The shot hits or it doesn't. A simple way to resolve that is with the attack/dodge mechanic, it doesn't mean characters are sitting around playing cards waiting for the bullet to start heading in their direction to consider moving.

No you don't, because it doesn't affect your ability to shoot back. And you can do it while charging into machine gun fire. And they explicitly define it as dodging bullets in the rules. "Defending against attacks is not an easy task—bullets are faster than people."
Jaid
QUOTE (Critias)
Which, instead, entails flinging most of the ranged combat rules of the game right out the window (including any sort of requirement to even have the right skill, all the recoil stuff we've mentioned, smartlinks doing any good, not being able to see your target in the first place, how dodging works, you name it).

If that's not it's own can of worms, I don't know what is.

heh, i never said those rules made much sense, just that they were available =P
Kingmaker
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
QUOTE (Kingmaker)

QUOTE (Shadowrun Main Rules Book @ pg 144)

Suppressive Fire

Wow. Thats what happens when you don't use your rulebook for a year.

The dodging rules are not realistic, but players would complain if not being behind cover meant that you were virtually guaranteed to get hit. At least, some players would.
Whipstitch
I guess I just believe devs should be more concerned with giving meaningful combat options than upholding realism, personally. I realize missing can be "realistic", but I'm afraid I don't like "You swing at the kobold. You miss. The kobold misses as well." style combat in my cyberpunk anymore than I like it in my fantasy.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I think a good fix for autofire is to allow every bullet past the first to give +1DV (narrow burst), -1 die to dodge (wide burst), or +1 die on the attack (searching fire), in any combination.
All the standard rules are available as special cases of this rule, but overall it gives you a bit more freedom and lets you adjust your autofire to have the effect you want.
I will note that the searching fire option is only really meaningful if you have recoil compensation.  If not, it's just a convenient way to get rid of more bullets than single-shot.

That's a better idea than most, Moon-Hawk, but I don't think it is properly representative of real-autofire. It's real-life uses vary, and it almost needs different rules depending on the circumstances.

QUOTE (Scenario #1)

I'm clearing a building with my 9mm MP5, set on full auto.  Any target I'm going to engage will be close (>10 meters), and I want guarantee I put each target down.  I turn a corner and a tango down the hall, about 5 meters away.  I hold down the trigger until his body starts to collapse (then I put one in his head once he is down).

In the above example, chances are most of my shots will connect. I have basically decided to greatly increase the damage output of my weapon at the cost of expending 1/3rd of my ammunition. Felt recoil will influence my accuracy, but because I'm shooting a weighty 9mm subgun from the shoulder, the effect that recoil will have on my accuracy is negligible. How would we rule this?

QUOTE (Scenario #2)

I'm not out in the parking lot and toting a full-auto capable M4.  A tango my team was pursuing is hunkering down behind a car about 100 meters away and is using it as cover while he takes pot shots at us.  I decide to empty a magazine in hopes of hitting the small bit of flesh he has exposed.  Best case scenario is I managed to hit him with a round or two.  Worst case, I at least force him to keep his head down while my team flanks.

Recoil is going to be a much bigger factor here because of range, but really shouldn't be any worse than if I was firing 10 or even just 6 rounds. What people don't get about autofire is it doesn't get progressively harder to hit your target the more bullets you throw out. In fact, the opposite is true. Once you overcome the initial felt recoil, most automatic small arms (especially those shooting ammo smaller than 7.62x51mm NATO) are quite controllable. And because I'm a really good shot, I can keep a relatively tight group, even when emptying a 30rnd magazine. So how would we rule this?

I have more scenarios in mind, but don't have time to post them right now.

Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
QUOTE (Scenario #1)

I'm clearing a building with my 9mm MP5, set on full auto.  Any target I'm going to engage will be close (>10 meters), and I want guarantee I put each target down.  I turn a corner and a tango down the hall, about 5 meters away.  I hold down the trigger until his body starts to collapse (then I put one in his head once he is down).

In the above example, chances are most of my shots will connect. I have basically decided to greatly increase the damage output of my weapon at the cost of expending 1/3rd of my ammunition. Felt recoil will influence my accuracy, but because I'm shooting a weighty 9mm subgun from the shoulder, the effect that recoil will have on my accuracy is negligible. How would we rule this?

QUOTE (Scenario #2)

I'm not out in the parking lot and toting a full-auto capable M4.  A tango my team was pursuing is hunkering down behind a car about 100 meters away and is using it as cover while he takes pot shots at us.  I decide to empty a magazine in hopes of hitting the small bit of flesh he has exposed.  Best case scenario is I managed to hit him with a round or two.  Worst case, I at least force him to keep his head down while my team flanks.

Recoil is going to be a much bigger factor here because of range, but really shouldn't be any worse than if I was firing 10 or even just 6 rounds. What people don't get about autofire is it doesn't get progressively harder to hit your target the more bullets you throw out. In fact, the opposite is true. Once you overcome the initial felt recoil, most automatic small arms (especially those shooting ammo smaller than 7.62x51mm NATO) are quite controllable. And because I'm a really good shot, I can keep a relatively tight group, even when emptying a 30rnd magazine. So how would we rule this?

First off, I'm not trying to argue with you, and I don't know more than you about guns (although I probably know more than joe average on the street), but I'm going to try to help you brainstorm and try to best represent your scenarios in the game.

First scenario you've got a target at close range without cover, so you put a good, long narrow burst into him for tons of damage. You apparently want this bastard very dead. You mention that the weapon is particularly heavy for it's type, so that's probably worth a point of RC. There's still a bit of a RC penalty, but it sounds to me like you've still got a very, very good chance of hitting and seriously f*ing this guy up. You follow it up with a single called shot, either to bypass armor or for extra damage, however the situation best warrants you putting a bullet in his brainpan.
If, somehow, your first shot doesn't hit, well, you said you were going to hold the trigger down until he stops moving, so that would be represented mechanically by another burst, and another, and another, possibly spanning passes, until he goes down. But in fluff that could easily be represented by a single stream of autofire until the dude falls.

Second scenario. I had to look up an M4. Call it (in SR4 terms) a submachine gun or an assault rifle, whichever you in your expertise prefer, I don't care. Sounds like either suppressive fire or a wide burst. If it's suppressive fire he either has to stop taking pot shots or, if he continues to try, he risks being hit by a round or two, exactly as you describe. Either way, you win. Alternately (I should mention that I apply the modifiers for cover as positive modifiers to dodge rather than negative modifiers to hit) you're using a wide burst to negate his large dodge pool and hopefully score one round for base damage.

Now show me how those mechanical solutions fail to model your scenario (I'm expecting you will) and we'll go from there. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Of course, once the projectile has left the muzzle of a modern firearm, no one is going to be fast enough to "dodge" it. Face it, we all know this to be a fact, and we all know that "dodging bullets" is an abstraction, and is usually meant to be the RPG equivalent of "moving in such a way to make yourself a difficult target.

I believe some years back I read a interview with some RPG developer who had some things to say about combat in RPGs...specifically about how in most RPGs, actually hitting in ranged/melee combat is much, much easier and happens much more frequently than in real life. His philosophy was that combat isn't fun if the players miss 80%-90% of the time. And that the rules do the opposite of that so as to make combat more fun, more satisfying, and take less time to play out than they would otherwise.

I understand his point...at least a little. However, I think that's a very short-sighted view for a game developer. And I think it short-changes the tactical side of combat. That approach is fine for Heroic/High Fantasy type games, but isn't worth a crap in modern/post-modern high-tech games.

EXACTLY! I would enjoy the game more if I had to plan around how my team is inevitably not going to carry enough ammo to keep up a firefight for very long compared to the multiple platoons in the base who have more ammo than they can collectively carry in a closet. I think it would add more stategic dimensions to gameplay.
l33tpenguin
I'm all for keeping the rules fun and exciting. I wouldn't compare SR to a post modern high tech RPG. If there wasn't elves and trolls and magic, if the matrix was anything near realistic, if the whole time line even made practical sense, then I can go with making ultra realistic rules for firearms. But when a wagemage can light me up with a lightning bolt, I'd much rather have rules for firearms that let me take him out fast.
Critias
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 2 2007, 10:31 AM)

I never said I liked people being able to dodge bullets -- I just said the rules for suppressive fire changed how those rules, and the rules for CP as a whole, operated. It was clunky. All of a sudden instead of rolling to hit (and those successes being opposed by a dodge test) it was the number of bullets fired that were opposed by a dodge test, and then you roll to hit. It was a major shift in how the combat rules worked, all just based on...what? The intent of the shooter? It was weird that all of a sudden there was a big difference between firing a long burst at a group of three guys (and trying to hit them all) and using suppressive fire at a group of three guys (and trying to hit them all).

Whole chunks of the rulebook got pitched out the window, simply by you patting your rifle and saying "Okay, baby, instead of shooting at them, I'm going to claim I'm shooting at them" -- and suddenly, your bullets worked differently. It was very strange to me, is all.

Someone asked me if I play with many house rules -- not really, partially because I'm an idiot and partially because of the medium through which I play SR. I'm a sucker for "canon," no matter how much I like it or not, because that's what's official. I've always been terrified of being one of those lonely fifteen year olds with one friend and a 35th level demigod fighter/mage/cleric/thief ("Oh, but my buddy and I houseruled stuff a little bit"). I wan't to earn the things my characters have, by the rules that the game designers agreed upon as fair. But that's just me being a sucker for official material -- the other reason is that I do the majority of my Shadowrun playing on-line, in a shared universe where we all take turns running in, and playing in, games. If Game A has a house rule for something and Game B doesn't, it causes confusion and often irritation, as certain characters will bounce from one reality to another and the rules change. By group consent, we generally have done our best to play an "official" game in terms of core rules, etc, simply to keep those rules wholly impartial and set-in-stone.

But, yeah. Mostly, the "idiot" thing.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
First off, I'm not trying to argue with you, and I don't know more than you about guns (although I probably know more than joe average on the street), but I'm going to try to help you brainstorm and try to best represent your scenarios in the game.

Man, you have my apologies if it sounded like I was being hostile. I was serious about wanting a rules interpretation of my scenarios, and I do appreciate you taking the time to post them.

First scenario you've got a target at close range without cover, so you put a good, long narrow burst into him for tons of damage.  You apparently want this bastard very dead.  You mention that the weapon is particularly heavy for it's type, so that's probably worth a point of RC.  There's still a bit of a RC penalty, but it sounds to me like you've still got a very, very good chance of hitting and seriously f*ing this guy up.

That sounds pretty good. I'm going to put it down on paper, but there is one other thing I'd want to put out there. All of my examples will be with well trained but completely mundane soldiers, using relative modern, conventional weapon systems. If the autofire rules only work if you are cybered/magicked all to hell and back and are using a gyromount, then they really DON'T work.

That being said, lets say I'm naturally good at shooting (AGI 4), well trained (Automatics 4), and using a red-dot sight (+1 die). That gives me a total dicepool of 9. I incur 5 points of recoil, reduced to 4. 9 - 4 = 5. 5 Dice for my shooting test. That's probably 2 hits. Base DV 5, +5 for Long Narrow Burst, + 2 hits. If the target was surprised and gets no reaction, that's 12 DV. Pretty lethal, I give you.

Now, lets see where the rules break down.

If I instead chose to fire a full burst (10 bullets instead of 6) things would be a lot different. First off, I would suffer 8 points of recoil, giving me a dice pool of 1. That drops my chance to even hit the guy down to 33%. Oh, and my glitch chance goes WAY the fuck up. Oh...and if I didn't have that red-dot site or 1 point of recoil, I couldn't even make the test because my dice pool would = 0. That's a pretty fucking dramatic change for just 4 more bullets. .40 more seconds on the trigger, and everything goes to shit.

And then what happens if we alter the scenario by swapping out the MP5 with an HK G3KA4 compact battle rifle? In the real world, we are looking at a ton more recoil, much less accuracy during autofire, pretty much guaranteed penetration of any soft body armor, and a ton more lethality per shot. In SR, it turns into +1DV, -1 AP, and with no change in recoil. I just can't wrap my head around that.

You follow it up with a single called shot, either to bypass armor or for extra damage, however the situation best warrants you putting a bullet in his brainpan.

LOL...I really just put that part in for flavor. I don't think it needs actual rules. If one of my players did that, in most cases I wouldn't even make him roll the die...just subtract one bullet and one badguy.

If, somehow, your first shot doesn't hit, well, you said you were going to hold the trigger down until he stops moving, so that would be represented mechanically by another burst, and another, and another, possibly spanning passes, until he goes down.  But in fluff that could easily be represented by a single stream of autofire until the dude falls.

You know, I've never really look at this way. It DOES have some merit, though the recoil in the 2nd burst of each action phase would be astronomical.

Second scenario.  I had to look up an M4.  Call it (in SR4 terms) a submachine gun or an assault rifle, whichever you in your expertise prefer, I don't care.

Sorry about that. I post too often on other military/firearms boards and take it for granted that everyone knows what I am talking about.

US ARMY M4 Carbine

Under SR rules, I would certainly call it an Assault Rifle.

Sounds like either suppressive fire or a wide burst.  If it's suppressive fire he either has to stop taking pot shots or, if he continues to try, he risks being hit by a round or two, exactly as you describe.  Either way, you win.  Alternately (I should mention that I apply the modifiers for cover as positive modifiers to dodge rather than negative modifiers to hit) you're using a wide burst to negate his large dodge pool and hopefully score one round for base damage.

Okay, lets bang out the numbers. Same guy doing the shooting. Lets say get same recoil comp as the MP5 (RC 1), and he has the same Red-Dot sight. Total dice pool = 9. I'm shooting an entire magazine...wait...nope...can't do that. Best I can do, per the rules, is shoot 20 bullets as "suppressive fire" or 10 as a "Full burst". <sigh>

Okay, lets start with a full, wide burst. I have a dicepool of 9, -1 for range, -4 for the target having good cover, and -8 for recoil. Wow...that means my dicepool is -4. That doesn't work. Okay, so we HAVE to change it to a LONG wide burst. Dicepool of 9, -1 for range, -4 for good cover, -4 for recoil. D'oh! Dicepool = 0! Okay, so how about a SHORT wide burst? Dicepool 9, -1 for range, -4 for cover, -1 for recoil. Dicepool of 3. Yay. I MIGHT actually score a hit with that.

So this translates into an increasing chance to hit as the number of bullets goes DOWN. That is some backwards-ass shit.

Let's look at this again under suppression rules. Dicepool 9, no apparent modifiers of any kind for recoil or range. I score 3 hits. So if the Tango doesn't keep his head down, he must make succeed on a Reaction+Edge(3) test to avoid taking a 6P hit. Or he could just keep his head down and not be at any risk from the incoming fire.

I don't know about you, but to me, both of those options feel like they fall far short of how it would really work.

Now show me how those mechanical solutions fail to model your scenario (I'm expecting you will) and we'll go from there.  smile.gif

I think I just did. So now that I broke stuff, lets fit it! grinbig.gif
Moon-Hawk
TheOneRonin: First off, no hostilities detected, just making sure that I didn't come off as belligerent or abrasive. smile.gif

First Scenario:
Glad it helped. And I completely agree with you in that if the rules only work for cyberbadass with 23 dice then they don't really work. I'm trying to think in terms of DPs of 6-11 ranging from average professional to slightly above-average veteran with a specialization and a laser/red dot.
It is true that SR makes minimal distinction between the recoil of large weapons vs small weapons. But there is a little help, at least. Aside from the double uncompensated recoil from heavy weapons, bear in mind that rifles and assault rifles assume that you're using the stock and don't give recoil for that, but machine pistols or SMGs and carbines (which are sometimes classified in SR4 as SMGs) DO get a free point of recoil simply for using the stock. Aside from that, though, there just isn't enough granularity in the system to account for subtle (and even not-so-subtle) differences in recoil. You could come up with an arguably more realistic rule where machine pistols only add 2 points per 3 bullets or something, but at that point you're adding complexity that I would argue detracts more overall fun than it adds.

But despite my rambles, let's not loose your real point. Your real point is that, due to the recoil system, you fire a bullet at someone, they get hurt; you fire more bullets, they get hurt more; and if you fire more bullets still suddenly they get off without a scratch because your DP died. WTF?
The fact of the matter is, because of the way the system works, certain choices are...shall we say, sub-optimal. If firing 10 rounds is worse than firing 6 round, then don't do that. You have to look at your intention (kill the dude), use the rules that best accomplish that (perhaps a long narrow burst), and then use a quality fluff description to fill in the gaps. (you hold the trigger down and keep a stream of bullets on the fragger until he stops twitching) Alternately, you could use my suggested autofire rule and use the searching fire option where you use those extra bullets to cancel their own recoil. In that scenario, firing 10 bullets instead of 6 doesn't help your damage, but at least it doesn't hurt it either. smile.gif

Special cases of recoil can make problems, but again it's mostly a lack of granularity. They're trying to make sure that "more recoil compensation = better", and they've done that, despite some weirdness in special cases. But you can easily avoid those special cases and use more optimal cases while still accomplishing an action which is described in exactly the same way.

I realize I'm sort of taking the position of the "rules apologist" (I tend to play devil's advocate) but seriously, you need to look at your intention, use the rules to best accomplish that goal, and then give yourself a little leeway in terms of the description. Something that, in fluff, is described as a long stream of autofire could be represented by a complex action of autofire, a long and a short burst (or vice versa), surpressive fire, or any other combinations of actions spanning multiple passes. It's up to you as a player to understand the rules and know how to best use them to achieve the desired goal, to know when to represent your stream of bullets as full autofire, surpressive fire, or short bursts, even though all three could represent the exact same action.

So the problem isn't that you can't kill a dude with autofire, but the problem may well be that you simply elected to use the wrong option to best kill him. Maybe you surpressed when you should've narrow-short-burst-followed-by-a-long-wide-bursted. See what I mean?

*whew*

On to point 2:
Again, you absolutely can empty the entire magazine into him. It's just going to take you more than one pass to get there.
Admittedly, there is some odd interplay between weapon ROF and initiative passes, but it's really only an issue in the case of surpressive fire requiring more bullets for faster people, but that's easily house-ruled around by allowing a 4-pass speed demon to extend his surpression through a turn by forfeiting extra actions without using any more ammo than Captain Slowpoke.
The point? Ah yes. Again, you make a strong argument for applying cover modifiers positively to the defender's dodge pool (dice which they get regardless of being aware of the attack or not) rather than negatively to the attacker's pool. The other good argument for this, by the way, comes from the glitch mechanic: Your target jumping behind a couch should not increase the chance of your Ex-Ex ammo exploding in your gun. That would be silly. In that case he gets a big bonus to dodge for being behind cover (which you negate with a wide burst) and you take a much smaller penalty (allowing you to have enough dice to hurt him).
We also revisit the issue of having your odds of doing damage go down as you fire more bullets. Admittedly weird. But again, I say that you have the option to draw the line after any number of bullets and resolve that number as a single burst of varying length and width. (standard rules allow only for narrow or wide, but there's no reason you couldn't combine the two into a continuum of options, as I suggested a couple posts ago) Just figure out your optimal number, call that a burst, resolve it, and move on to the next burst (which may or maybe not be in another pass) and just call it an unending stream of shots with the fluff. Granted, if the guy next to you has some recoil compensation (or maybe is bracing his weapon on another car so the GM gives him some RC for an improvised bipod, eh?) then he's going to be drawing the line after more bullets and thus is doing more damage. You can still describe it as a more or less uninterrupted stream of bullets from the both of you. And if you change it in any other way you run the risk of making recoil compensation meaningless, and that would be bad too.
At least if you're using wide bursts to eat up his defense pool, as you add bullets with RC you're increasing your chances of putting the hurt on him, and as you add bullets without RC at least you decreasing both of your pools evenly and breaking even.

I feel like if you focus too much on the specifics then you can definitely find sub-optimal choices. Don't use those. Use the optimal choices and describe it however you want.

So...all in all, I realize that I defended the rules by introducing house rules, and that's not really defending the rules at all. But bear in mind that all the house rules I suggested do not really have an effect on balance (moving dice from the defender to the attacker doesn't change net hits, usually) but they do eliminate some special-case weirdness.

So you're looking at a problem and saying: I want to kill this guy with lots of bullets, but if I do X it works better than XYZ, and that's weird.

And I say: True. But you want to kill him with lots of bullets, and there's a good way to do that, so there's not really a problem. Feel free to take some creative license in your description of X.

I can't deny that there are some very weird cases that can be found in the SR4 rules. But the question is can you come up with a common situation that you (or I) just can't model with any option in the rules? THAT is where we really have a problem.

Helping any?
kzt
If the rules are counter to reality they are broken and should be fixed If your attempt to apply tactics requires that you memorize all the edge cases and weird bizarreness so you can remember when to something totally stupid in order to succeed I'd argue the rules are broken and need to be fixed.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (kzt)
If the rules are counter to reality they are broken and should be fixed If your attempt to apply tactics requires that you memorize all the edge cases and weird bizarreness so you can remember when to something totally stupid in order to succeed I'd argue the rules are broken and need to be fixed.

That sentence makes the baby Jesus cry.
That said, it's not a bad point. wink.gif

The best option is a system that models reality well. *insert duh here* The worst option is a system that never models reality well at all. *I didn't bring enough duh's for this post* What we have is a system that can model reality pretty darn well, if you apply it properly, but because of some quirks can be made to generate some pretty darn strange circumstances. And I'm actually willing to live with that. In fact, I personally prefer that to a system which does not allow for very much flexibility but does not generate any weirdness under any circumstances either.
I don't want this to come off as, "Well, if you've got a better system, then post it. Nyah!" but given that there is no perfect system on the table, I'd prefer a lot of flexibility but weirdness potential to a system with no weirdness potential that didn't give me many options.

I'm not looking at eliminating any possible weirdness. I'm looking at these scenarios as: "I want to model X with the rules" replying with "The best way to model X with the rules is to use Y". As opposed to the approach of "If I use Z it gets really messed up."

*shrug* I'm happy with it. I'm just trying to spread the joy, man. wink.gif
Kingmaker
Another problem with the recoil rules is that it has the same effect at all ranges. If I remember correctly , if I fire my AK-97 on full auto and shoot off a full burst, I receive the same penalty whether the target is 5 meters away or 150 meters away, (someone point out if I am wrong, I still need to review the combat rules) despite the fact that the accuracy loss from recoil would be far less significant a 5m than at 150m. The only thing that immediately springs to mind would be to apply a Recoil modifier based on range.
Moon-Hawk
Interesting idea. Can you figure a way to make it workable? As in, not hideously complicated, but still balanced? I can help with the rules aspects, but not the "it works like such in real life". I have fired many a rifle, but never in my life anything faster than semi-auto.
Kingmaker
Unfortunately, I have never fired a full auto weapon either. My info comes from several friends of mine who possess weapons that are most likely illegal in most states.
l33tpenguin
The easiest way to model accuracy at range would simply be to double the uncompensated recoil mod at medium range and triple it at long range.

Which is reasonably accurate. firing a fully automatic weapon at range results in the first round being dead on target while everything after that is spray and pray. You don't hit a target at 500 yards by going full auto. You hit him with single shots and very short, controlled bursts.
Kingmaker
I was thinking of halving recoil at short, normal at medium, and double at long.
Critias
That sounds better to me, Kingmaker. I'd rather see something to lower recoil at close ranges (to help offset the recoil issues the game has) than just something to make recoil nastier at long ranges.

Maybe instead of halving or doubling it, just a +1 virtual recoil comp at short, 0 (normal recoil comp) for medium, and -1 to recoil comp for long?
kzt
That doesn't allow non-godlike characters to hit with long bursts at close range, which they should be able to do. It took me about a magazine to figure out how to shoot an SMG reasonable effectively on full auto at a target 20-30 feet away.
Critias
I just dislike halving because then you've got to figure out/remember/balance for whether or not you cut it in half before other applicable recoil modifiers or afterwards, round up or down, yadda yadda. +1, 0, -1 is pretty simple.

And I thought our "recoil modifications for range" was mostly an attempt to toss in one line of house rule to specifically fix the "for range" part of the issue, not us trying to hammer out an overall fix to the strange recoil problem.
Kingmaker
Make it a bigger modifier, like maybe +4, 0, -4. Or whatever works.
psychophipps
As a person who shoots fairly regularly, not some crazy shoot-bot like Leatham or Jarrett of course, I feel that the current rules seem to reflect reality effectively enough for the purposes of gaming. Not the biggest fan of the mods for burstfire but what can you do?
One mod that we've been using to great effect is the removal of dice modifiers and instead just using threshold increases instead. Let's face it, taking 1-2 dice from 15 isn't that big a deal, but making them roll 3 successes before they start to count really makes thing s a lot more, err...dicey.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )
Shrike30
The way that CP2020 used to handle full autofire was, IIRC, you got -1 penalty for every 10 rounds fired (you could REALLY unload in CP2020). Unless, of course, you were firing at close range... in which case you got +1 for every 10 rounds fired.

You could always say halve the penalties at close range, or something along those lines. I have a houserule that recoil doesn't apply at all if you're at point blank... this one came into existence after one of my players jammed his TMP through an open car window into the chest of the driver and cut loose on automatic. "Don't bother with the penalty, just go for it."

A fistfight is not point blank... there's a little room for error there. Jammed so close that the thing can't possibly walk off target, because friction with the target is keeping it in place? That's another story.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (psychophipps)
As a person who shoots fairly regularly, not some crazy shoot-bot like Leatham or Jarrett of course, I feel that the current rules seem to reflect reality effectively enough for the purposes of gaming. Not the biggest fan of the mods for burstfire but what can you do?
One mod that we've been using to great effect is the removal of dice modifiers and instead just using threshold increases instead. Let's face it, taking 1-2 dice from 15 isn't that big a deal, but making them roll 3 successes before they start to count really makes thing s a lot more, err...dicey.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

That's sorta what I have done as well. I use thresholds for range, cover, and a few other things, and leave the rest as pool modifiers. So far, it's accomplished the things I wanted it to accomplish:

#1 Increase in the number of misses/near misses
#2 Increase the duration/ammo consumption in your average firefight
#3 Gets rid of that silly "dicepool reduced to zero, can't attempt the shot" scenarios"

And it's extremely rare that a character doesn't have enough dice to possibly beat the threshold.

Also, it has helped me fix the problems with the way SR deals with the "badguy using a civilian as a hostage" type scenario. Now, if you try to shoot the bad guy and roll some hits, but not enough to beat the threshold, you hit the hostage.
Critias
I often describe myself as firing two or three times the number of shots that my actual declared actions tell me I've fired -- particularly with handguns in semi-auto -- just because I think that not every character ever should be dropping everyone with clean single shots to the head, or double taps to the center of mass.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Critias)
I often describe myself as firing two or three times the number of shots that my actual declared actions tell me I've fired -- particularly with handguns in semi-auto -- just because I think that not every character ever should be dropping everyone with clean single shots to the head, or double taps to the center of mass.

Makes sense, but do you track the ammo that you "narratively" expend, or do you only subtract 1 bullet per simple action from the magazine?
TheOneRonin
With the way I treat thresholds, a badguy who is 7 meters away and standing behind a waist-high wall has a threshold of 3. If you have a dicepool of less than 9, just hitting him becomes less than guaranteed. And if you throw in any other modifiers for visibility and movement, the shot becomes even more difficult.

It keeps the lead flying and forces the players to have to choose their shots carefully.
DTFarstar
The only problem I have with modification of the firearms rules such as TheOneRonin described is that it just makes mages better. The harder you make it to hit with firearms, the better spells like Stunbolt and Manabolt and such become.

Chris
kzt
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
The only problem I have with modification of the firearms rules such as TheOneRonin described is that it just makes mages better. The harder you make it to hit with firearms, the better spells like Stunbolt and Manabolt and such become.

Chris

No, because magic follows the same vis modifiers.
Critias
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 10 2007, 11:16 AM)

Makes sense, but do you track the ammo that you "narratively" expend, or do you only subtract 1 bullet per simple action from the magazine?

I track the ammo I say I've fired. It's part of the reason I hate how expensive ammo is in this game.
l33tpenguin
I track the ammo I say I've fired. It's part of the reason I hate how expensive ammo is in this game.

I was noticing that the other day. I've honestly never noticed it until just the other day. I was picking up some .223 for my m4. Earlier that day I was messing with a character builder and buying gear for a character. Regular ammunition in SR is 2 neuyen apiece. I was buying 223 at around 50 cents a round. 45 cal. pistol ammo is about 20cents a round. 9mm is about the same.

Compounding that with (from what I thought) neuyen is supposed to be stronger than the dollar, something like 5 to 1. Even if I'm wrong on that, $2 a round is CRAZY expensive. Well, unless you are talking about something like 50 cal BMG. I found steel core 50 cal BMG rounds for $5 each. But you could put those through an engine block.

I'm thinking about talking to my GM about house ruling this nyahnyah.gif
Critias
Yup. It's something I've wanted to house rule for a long time.

According to SR, the box of 250 .22 rounds I picked up for plinking ($10 from Wal Mart), and the Winchester White-Box 100 9mm rounds I got (up to $15 at Wal-Mart) should've run me about the price of a nice new rifle.
Narmio
Presumably the ammo prices are what they are so that they have any impact at all on characters' budgets. If you were to reduce ammo prices by a factor of ten across the board, or whatever seems fair, then there would be no real point to tracking how much ammo characters own, only how much they had on their person. Additionally, what small deterrent price is to the exotic ammos like SnS, Ex-ex and APDS would be gone completely.

I guess in the game of balance vs realism, this one has just never bothered me.
Fix-it
I would put forth the idea that the extra cost for ammo is the cost associated with it falling off the back of a truck, having most tracking marks removed, then sold on the black market.
Critias
That's supposed to be covered by street index, though. Prices listed for products in SR sourcebooks are supposed to be the going, legal, rate that is then modified by availability, street index, Fixers/other middle-men, yadda yadda.
hyzmarca
Ammo in SR4 is highly abstracted. The 10 for 20 nuyen.gif price for regular ammo is the same across all calibers. .50 BMG ammo costs the same as .22, so it evens out in the end.
Critias
Well, no. It only evens out in the end if you planned on buying a bunch of .50 BMG to bring the real-world average price in line. If all someone does is eat up machine pistol or SMG or hold out ammo, they get boned by each pull of the trigger costing them twenty or fifty times what it should. Even assault rifle ammo (the largest rounds your average gunbunny is likely to go through very quickly) costs about four times what it should.
Marwynn
It's a corporate hell-world, someone has to make a killing on killing. After all, you can only sell so many guns.

It is pricey and it makes you somewhat grateful when Mr. Johnson picks up the munitions tab on the boxes of APDS and Ex-Ex you wanted.

l33tpenguin
95% of the ammunition spent in SR would (more than likely) be 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, 40 and 45 cal. With a mix of 308, 357 and others thrown in for good measure, but the former as they are your typical assault rifle and SMG calibers. A lot of 50 cal BMG would be expended as well, but its typically only a vehicle mounted caliber, in which case you'll go through a lot very quickly... otherwise its limited to high powered sniper rifles.

Wait, so, anyway. As for not having to keep track of ammunition, seriously, ammunition should be the LEAST of your worries. You have to worry that Mr. J didn't set you up. That your Fixer isn't trying to double cross you. That the Mega Corp you just did whatever to doesn't find out that it was you that did it. That the mega corp that your J works for doesn't intend on you taking the fall. That your fence is legit and isn't going to rip you off.

Anyway, among the host of things you should worry about, ammunition shouldn't be one.
kzt
Until you are loading your last mag. . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012