Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun not cyberpunk anymore
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
kzt
Russia under Stalin and Late WW2 German under Hitler are probably the classic examples of a dystopia. However any Communist country (or totalitarian government like Syria or Iran) typically has somewhere between 5% to 20% of the citizens actively reporting to the secret police what their co-workers, neighbors and family members were saying and doing in private, and the secret police can arbitrarily sweep you off the street and shoot you on the unsubstantiated word of a single informer. So I'd argue they seem pretty dystopian also.

Getting fired because you told your boss to his face that he's an idiot doesn't make it a dystopia. If you could get away with telling you boss to his face that he's an idiot that would be a utopia.
fumble
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Sho Kosugi grew up in Japan, heir to the Kosugi ninja clan. Every day in his shibumi-filled ninja clan's palatial garden, he would scream things in Japanese and flip out in order to perfectly learn a thousand years of combat secrets.

More quality stuff

Since Sho Kosugi is essentially a 1980s ninja movie character, it is only fitting that he have one of these outrageously awe-inspiring Japanese huts filled with extremely tasteful yet expensive furniture and artwork tucked away in the woods somewhere hidden away from Seattle itself. The custom lifestyle detailed below attempts to emulate as best as possible Mr. Miyagi's house and the hideout from "Showdown in Little Tokyo"..

Aaah man, that cracked me up no end.

To be honest, that character looks like a barely parodied version of one of mine (and I'm sure many around here have played him as well anyway).
Aaaah, quality...

Just to finish, I'd like to point out that I did get the reference in the name of Sho Kosugi - fairly blatant when one knows their classics, I'd have to say... The young'uns can do a google.
Long live the eighties and all the quality naïve cinematic bloodsplatter it brought us...

*goes off to watch Bloodsport again*

Cheers,
Fumble.
nezumi
I would argue that a proper dystopia requires two things:

1) A serious constraint of personal liberties
2) A serious want of personal wealth for the average person

If everyone has no personal liberties, but are rich, it really isn't much of a dystopia, since most people can be pretty happy with that (even with Brave New World, where the protagonist is pretty well off, the average person most certainly is not). The thing is, generally #2 follows from #1 (for a complex series of reasons I won't go into here). In that regard, I would argue some countries in our world are entering into, or well embroiled in, #1, but #2 really hasn't come up yet. If the 'war on terror' terrorizes US citizens any more, that could change however.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (kzt)
Russia under Stalin and Late WW2 German under Hitler are probably the classic examples of a dystopia. However any Communist country (or totalitarian government like Syria or Iran) typically has somewhere between 5% to 20% of the citizens actively reporting to the secret police what their co-workers, neighbors and family members were saying and doing in private, and the secret police can arbitrarily sweep you off the street and shoot you on the unsubstantiated word of a single informer. So I'd argue they seem pretty dystopian also.

...pretty much describes the current setting I have in Serbia and Croatia for RiS.
CrystalBlue
Not that it really matters... nyahnyah.gif

As was stated before, views of a Dystopia are very subjective. And it's all where you look as well. Take Joe Everyday, working his zombie shift for S-K. He gets up, dresses and bathes, and catches the tube to 104th and Krauser. He sits himself down at cubical 34-D-12 and gets to work on those testing reports from site 25, as management wants some solid numbers to show the higher ups at their lunch meeting. After shooting the breeze a bit, getting the reports filed away, and having a mediocre lunch of beef flavored soy, he hops the train again and comes back to his flat in S-K's residential district, kisses his wife, hugs his kids, and sits down to watch some TV.

That's what happens today. And we're as oblivious to our eroded freedoms and choices as we will be then. We don't think of our lives right now as a Dystopian setting. And I'm sure in 62 years, we still won't. It's just the way things will be. Most of the populace won't know or care and will continue chugging away at their computers, being a good little Yes Man till they can get a meager pension and retirement and try to relax the final days of their life away.

Shadowrunners and a select few people recognize the world as the run down pile of drek it is because we look beyond the happy facades. We as runners have broken the mold. We've told Big Brother 'No', and have put our foot down enough to piss them off. We challenge the authority of the world, which happens to be the corps. The vale is lifted and we see the rotten core that the world has become and all the sheeple that walk around. And then we see the actual Dystopia.

But...maybe I should just shush up. Got to get those TPS reports in, after all. wink.gif
hobgoblin
ah, the life of a salaryman...
nezumi
Of course, the grey area is subjective, but that's the case with most everything. I don't think we can find a lot of people who live in 1984 or We who don't recognize life sucks.

On the flip side, being a desk jockey is NOT dystopia. It's a question of being human, of being free. Here in the US, I can still buy a gun and I have a constitutional (and generally enforced) right not to be spied on in my home. I have the possibility of social mobility, the freedom to study philosophy or enjoy religion. I might work at a desk job, but that's because I chose to. Beyond role-playing, I'm not living in some fantasy world, the government does not have unwarranted control in my life. I most certainly do not live in a dystopia, even though I face the risk of gang violence, I do have a pretty boring job, I work in a cubicle and am expected to appear on time.
CrystalBlue
And that's my point. Now, I'm not trying to be "Anarchy, HO!" here, nor am I adjusting my tin foil hat. What I am doing is pointing out the very real and present danger to our individualism we have as a sociaty. More and more, our culture and behaviour is sculpted into the Big Picture. Don't believe me?

Most North Americans have a TV, radio, get the newspaper, and have internet access. We are constantly bombarded by ads, new, and propaganda. That gets the first 50% of USA. Hell, my mother is part of them. She watches Survivor and Big Brother, constanly gets her life information from Oprah, and watches the new like it's fact.

We're told to buy the right products, love to right shows, listen to the right government figureheads. If you don't think that's influential, then you're already lost to the mainstream.

Then there's your job. Everyday, you go to work for 40 hours a week and recieve a paycheck and insurance. Why? Because you can? Did you choose that? Did you make the choice to live in monotony? I sure as hell didn't. Sure, I like my job...but that's because there's nothing better...right? It's because it's the path of least resistance, and that's what gets another 35%. We're forced into the culture that's being set before us. And after a while, we get tired of caring or tired of fighting back. We fold, accept the changes, and get a nice pat on the head for being such a good little sheep.

The other 15%? Well, 10% of them are those in control. And I'm not talking total control. More like various levels of control. From your boss at work to the Star officer that pulled you over for speeding, when you were going 5 under the limit, to the big CEO of a megacorp.

And the last 5%? Those are the ones that won't stop fighting. They're the ones that have found a way out or been able to live their lives free. Maybe not hassle-free...but without authority.

Gosh...I REALLY need to get those TPS reports done....yeah...I'm just gonna have to go ahead and post this...yeah...
Zhan Shi
I'll send you another copy of that memo, CB. biggrin.gif
mfb
i don't think that's a reasonable argument, nezumi. the average sarariman in SR wouldn't say he lived in a dystopia, either. he'd point to all the perks and privileges he enjoys--a list which pretty much mirrors the one you just posted.

he would ignore the state of the rest of the world. he'd ignore the fact that half of the planet's population lives in areas of low-level conflict (which is a nice way of saying that men with guns kill and rape unopposed). he'd ignore the fact that his country sucks in thousands of human trafficking victims (which is a nice way of saying "kidnapped girls sold for sex") every year.

honestly, i think part of the reason cyberpunk is becoming less cyberpunk is that the dark future cyberpunk warns us about is no longer really a future. dystopia isn't nearly as cool when you actually live in one. regardless, dystopia is not measured by how the richest, most powerful fraction of the planet lives.
Grinder
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Welcome to Hell.
nezumi
QUOTE (CrystalBlue)
What I am doing is pointing out the very real and present danger to our individualism we have as a sociaty. More and more, our culture and behaviour is sculpted into the Big Picture. Don't believe me?

I disagree. We have MORE ability to be individuals than ever before. I have more leisure time than my father did, more time to write poetry or travel to foreign countries. I have more tools at my fingertips. I can post my life on facebook or livejournal, I can self-publish, I can communicate with people in Beijing, take things in my imagination and make them real. That isn't the stuff of a dystopia.

Now that isn't to say that less people do it, and you could argue that dystopia isn't measured by how many personal freedoms people have, but how many they take. But I don't see having to ignore more ads as a sign that my life is somehow in the crapper. I don't see the fact that I have the option to watch Oprah as a sign that the world is dystopian. I do see it as a sign that many people continue to be idiots, but being an idiot is not a defining characteristic of cyberpunk or dystopia either.

Did I choose my job? Yep. Why? Because it's a boring, government job which provides me with lots of leisure time to read, to study, to write. I'm currently working on an RPG I'd like to self-publish. A few months ago I was studying economic systems. Before that I was studying the philosophy of John Locke. I made my choice very intentionally. I would RATHER be doing this job overseas, but oh well, I take what I can get. But again, I certainly don't do this because I feel trapped or somehow unable to ignore the influences in my life. Sure it's a trade-off, but it's a good one. If you feel that there is such pressure in your life to be a mindless drone, I recommend you spend some time studying and get a new job. Seriously. Not only do you have that option, but in our current economy doing otherwise is foolish. Again, having the freedom to change jobs, to educate yourself to do what you want, is not the sign of dystopia. You weren't born into Beta caste, you don't have an inclination to wear blue shirts and do desk-work. You were born free. Do whatever you please.

the average sarariman in SR wouldn't say he lived in a dystopia, either. he'd point to all the perks and privileges he enjoys--a list which pretty much mirrors the one you just posted.

The question though is, are his freedoms real or perceived? A Shadowrun salaryman can buy a gun, but he knows the corp can claim it at its leisure, and can probably turn it off remotely. He has no right to privacy. He has little serious social mobility. He has limited choices. He can't apply to jobs elsewhere, he can't pursue his real interests or dreams. That is what makes it dystopic, not that he THINKS he's happy.

As for the other stuff you listed... That's been going on basically since man figured out how to travel far enough to enslave his neighbors. I don't see anyone saying that 15th century Europe was dystopic, or that pre or post-Colonialism Africa is dystopic. And if you do, then you have to admit that we're going the wrong way. I have more freedom, more individuality, more mobility than my father or my grandfather did. My world has fewer armed conflicts, less slave trade, less destruction than they did (although better media coverage). That too counters the argument of this being a dystopia, because the idea of a dystopia is stuff is getting worse, not better.

Now I will grant you, you could argue that England is a dystopia right now, for an assortment of reasons. You could argue that, if we continue on this line of fighting terrorism by spying on citizens could lead us to dystopia (or on the other side, increase government power by decreasing personal freedoms, the democratic agenda). But I don't think anyone can make a serious argument that the US is a dystopia right now without ignoring the definition of 'dystopia'.
Zhan Shi
Too true. If this conversation was occuring in a genuine dystopia, for example China, we'd all be rounded up and spend the rest of our days manufacturing lead tainted toys and chemical tainted food in prison factories for export. There is a difference between poor government policy and genuine totalinarianism.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 25 2007, 07:54 PM)

Welcome to Hell.

hmm, so hell is in essence gray?

interesting.

what does that make heaven then?
hobgoblin
about dystopia, isnt the idea that your life has no value? as in, your not a person but a cog in a larger machine?

as in, unless your one of the leaders of a corp, or a corp division, your life could end today and nobody would even blink except hire yet another person to fill your place?

but then im not sure cyberpunk must be dystopic. maybe more correct would be overwhelming? as in, you have your little niche that your good at, but the rest is so out of touch that you have no clue how it works, just that it does. and if it breaks down, you know who to talk to to maybe get it working again, or where to get hold of a replacement.

as in, tech have become the new god. and if your unable to work with the tech, or cant afford it, your nobody.
Synner667
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Kronk2)
I agree, and feel that we occupy more of a techno thriller genre than scifi. Although it wouldn;t be hard to do a hard scifi game using the shadowrun setting. attribute the metaraces to elective genetic modification and away we go. Magic could be explained via quark manipulation.

----

...this is sort of the way I have been going with a bit more intrigue thrown in. Part of the reason I set my current campaign in Europe is because governments and government agencies there tend to have a bit more presence in people's lives. Take for example the UK which is effectively a police state, the Triple O shows up and you basically disappear. In Seattle (and the UCAS) it is pretty much all about the corps or organised crime and the police forces are a for-profit commercial venture.

I recently GM-ed a fairly tense scenario which took place in London While it dealt with an international arms dealer, the team had to watch their every step, for even walking around the "Smoke" while carrying concealed firearms was a ticket for trouble. An NP officer is not your friendly London Bobby depicted in the cinema. He is a trained military professional, who is armed with milspec weaponry. If you look the least suspicious, you can be detained and searched without warning.

In this way I find the UK (at least 2nd/3rd ed) to be very dystopian and having an SF edge.

Shadowrun as SciFi = Aeon/Trinity [right down to the same game mechanics, and quantum manipulation]

People vanish and are held by the USA government on a regular basis in the current time, for 'crimes' such as daring to question the government or having the wrong name or being the wrong colour [example : http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engasa330342002 ]

Policemen are meant to stop people walking around with guns and appearing suspicious - it's called law enforcement.

Try 'SLA Industries' for a British Cyberpunk 'feel'.
Or CyberGeneration for a surveillance society.
Synner667
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Too true. If this conversation was occuring in a genuine dystopia, for example China, we'd all be rounded up and spend the rest of our days manufacturing lead tainted toys and chemical tainted food in prison factories for export.

Actually, from what I've been reading about China's response to freespeech on the Internet..
..Our words wouldn't be allowed to be posted AND the government would know our location, and would be sending someone to deal with us.

..Is that a knock at my do
Zhan Shi
I read the above link. Nowhere did I see that the people in question were taken because they questioned the government, had the wrong names or were of the wrong color. At least one admitted his guilt on Al Jazeera. As far as I can tell, Amnesty was upset because those people were taken in contradiction to various home countries' extradition laws, and because the US has the death penalty, and because of concerns over Guantanamo. But maybe I'm just dense, and did'nt catch the references.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (CrystalBlue)

Then there's your job. Everyday, you go to work for 40 hours a week and recieve a paycheck and insurance. Why? Because you can? Did you choose that? Did you make the choice to live in monotony? I sure as hell didn't. Sure, I like my job...but that's because there's nothing better...right? It's because it's the path of least resistance, and that's what gets another 35%. We're forced into the culture that's being set before us. And after a while, we get tired of caring or tired of fighting back. We fold, accept the changes, and get a nice pat on the head for being such a good little sheep.

I think that's a sterotype. In the United States there are many opportunities to do things that you enjoy doing, although it can be more difficult.

Look at teaching in public schools. It's a terrible job but some people do it out of love. The government simultaneously restricts what you can do in the classroom and also holds you accountable for the crappy results that entails, there are psycho busybody parents, and political correctness. I don't think anyone puts up with that for the $30,000 paycheck, considering that a multilingual receptionist in NYC at Sloan Kettering can make that much and deal with a lot less crap. Also considering how many public school teachers spend their own money for necessary classroom materials. But this is a counter example of people doing difficult and un-rewarding things because of an ideal or an alturistic impulse.
Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
I read the above link. Nowhere did I see that the people in question were taken because they questioned the government, had the wrong names or were of the wrong color. At least one admitted his guilt on Al Jazeera. As far as I can tell, Amnesty was upset because those people were taken in contradiction to various home countries' extradition laws, and because the US has the death penalty, and because of concerns over Guantanamo. But maybe I'm just dense, and did'nt catch the references.

I have a family friend who was picked up at an air pot apparently because he was talking with a person from Iraq who has gotten US citizenship about politics. He was held for 3 days without any phone calls in a hotel in LA that is entirely rented out by the feds. After getting released he called the ACLU and they told him to hang up and call back from another location. Apparently they are preparing a class action suit agaisnt the government about it and people's phones have been found to be tapped.

My family friend is a white, respectable, college educated, person. He was picked up without a warrant, held for 72 hours without a phone call, interrogated by the feds without a lawyer present, and his wife called the cops to report him as a missing person.

The US government does kidnap people off the street.
mfb
QUOTE (nezumi)
The question though is, are his freedoms real or perceived? A Shadowrun salaryman can buy a gun, but he knows the corp can claim it at its leisure, and can probably turn it off remotely. He has no right to privacy. He has little serious social mobility. He has limited choices. He can't apply to jobs elsewhere, he can't pursue his real interests or dreams. That is what makes it dystopic, not that he THINKS he's happy.

i don't see that the SR sarariman's freedoms are any more illusory than ours. the gubmint is no less empowered or less likely to take a person's guns away than a megacorp. nor are his choices in employment or socialization particularly limited, except by society--again, no real difference. for that matter, even if the sarariman does find himself unable to pursue his dreams while working for a megacorp, he's got an out--he can enter the shadows.

QUOTE (nezumi)
I have more freedom, more individuality, more mobility than my father or my grandfather did.

that's kinda my point. Richard Villiers has even more freedom, even more individuality, and even more mobility than you. that's part of why he lives in a dystopia--the massive gap between the rich and the poor. it's hard to call medieval Europe a dystopia because, from our perspective, the rich elite weren't all that much better off than the serfs.

QUOTE (nezumi)
But I don't think anyone can make a serious argument that the US is a dystopia right now without ignoring the definition of 'dystopia'.

i think the US is part of a fairly dystopic world, and i don't see enough of a difference between SR's dystopic elements and the dystopic elements of the real world to say that one is a dystopia and the other isn't. i think that if you call SR a dystopia, then the real world should also be called a dystopia. but i don't think SR is actually all that terrible a place to live--as much i'd prefer otherwise, i wouldn't call SR a dystopia.
Synner667
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)

It is an example of the current US government vanishing people.

It just happens to be something I googled for, and [I guess] a comment about using the Brits as an example of a Big Brother government in the FUTURE..
..When the US is exhibiting Big Brother tendencies NOW.
Zhan Shi
Tippy, if your friend's version of the events in question is accurate, he does indeed have a legitimate gripe. Anyone remember an airline incident about...what...a month ago? A plane full of passengers was kept cooped up in the plane on the runway for something like 12 hours, then taken off and stripp searched. Glad I was'nt on that flight.
Synner667
A Shadowrun salaryman can buy a gun, but he knows the corp can claim it at its leisure, and can probably turn it off remotely.

it's hard to call medieval Europe a dystopia because, from our perspective, the rich elite weren't all that much better off than the serfs.

Why turn the gun off ??
Just make it unable to fire when aimed at someone from company 'x' [think RoboCop].

Using your definition, a peasant would call medieval Europe a dystopia..
..And the Rich were much better off - they had proper food, clothing and housing !!

Oops - I seem to have removed the quotey bits !!

Zhan Shi
Two words: Guildford four. And that was in the seventies. But by all means, we must be vigilant against abuses.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Tippy, if your friend's version of the events in question is accurate, he does indeed have a legitimate gripe. Anyone remember an airline incident about...what...a month ago? A plane full of passengers was kept cooped up in the plane on the runway for something like 12 hours, then taken off and stripp searched. Glad I was'nt on that flight.

If I had been on that flight I would have been peeing on the flight Attendants/Flight Crews shoes/boots, several times. biggrin.gif

I also get a seat on the wing's exit rows, window side, I know I can open that wing exit door in about 2 secs. Pop that little door and toss it over the wing, biggrin.gif Yes they would rain on my parade, but I know the amount of paperwork etc, it takes to recertify that wing exit door, before the airframe can be used again. rotfl.gif I would end up ahead of them on that. biggrin.gif

WMS
Cthulhudreams
Saying modern society is dystopic seems a bit overboard. Sure the US government is crazy, but I'm pretty sure that is because the US is so big that it doesn't have the same pressure to evolve to an optimal state that somewhere like Germany does.

But anyway, lets look at countries like germany, france and new zealand.

They have fair and open government systems (well, I think!) there is a degree of social mobility, and there is a balance between government control and private sector independence.

Shadowrunverse is a dystopia though because it has significantly reduced social mobility -> if you are a SINless from an urban combat zone it is almost impossible to raise yourself above that, the governmental systems are weak, corrupt and ineffective OR an oppressive dictatorship, and the balance between private and oublic sector is wildly skewed one way.
mfb
QUOTE (Synner667)
Using your definition, a peasant would call medieval Europe a dystopia..

absolutely, if you could find one with the time and education to ponder such things.
Hartbaine
I was going to add something, but after Ronin's... damn.

I mean... just... damn.

Game set, match.
Negalith
Anybody who thinks that the modern US is more dystopic than medieval Europe really needs to study their history more and take fewer drugs. This is a pure figment political paranoia. I know America hating is all the fad these days, but get a grip.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Negalith)
Anybody who thinks that the modern US is more dystopic than medieval Europe really needs to study their history more and take fewer drugs. This is a pure figment political paranoia. I know America hating is all the fad these days, but get a grip.

Exactly. How can we compare actual witch-burning (medieval) to S&M play (modern)?
Zhan Shi
Seconded, Negalith.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Negalith)

It's clearly not!

Sudan maybe on the other hand possibly is, but even then you can (if you are really lucky) get out and become a refugee and maybe make a go of it.
Zhan Shi
If I may add a little something to Negalith's comment...whatever the faults of the western world may be, the positives far outweigh the negatives. And no matter what anyone may say, the rest of the globe agrees, because the flow of humanity is virtually all one way; the world has "voted with it's feet", as it were. Nobody uproots their family and moves them to Rwanda for a better life; nobody flees to Iran to escape religious persecution (except perhaps a Shia escaping from a Sunni nation); and nobody moves to China to live under a government which is not overly meddlesome. Critiscise, yes; but do not forget who the true villains are.
mfb
QUOTE (Negalith)

that depends on what you mean by dystopia. if you just mean that life sucks, then yes, medieval Europe was pretty dystopic. my definition of dystopia is a bit more specific. it includes elements such as control of a purportedly 'free' populace through misdirection and manipulation, especially fear; isolation of individual citizens from each other (again, generally through fear); a wide gap between the rich and the poor, leaving a small or at least unempowered middle class; and the widespread failure of morality and/or integrity in the populace. some of these elements were present in medieval Europe, especially in the interaction between christianity and secular power, but not nearly to the degree that they're present in the modern world or in SR. by the same token, they don't have enough presence in the modern world, or in SR, for me to really be comfortable calling either a true dystopia.

on another note... it's fair to say i hate the current administration. i feel that they have acted illegally in may regards and immorally in many more regards. but during my time in the military, i buried friends. that means that when someone accuses me of hating america, i get to tell them--with no rancor and with no offense intended--to shut the hell up.
kzt
QUOTE (mfb)
it includes elements such as control of a purportedly 'free' populace through misdirection and manipulation, especially fear; isolation of individual citizens from each other (again, generally through fear); a wide gap between the rich and the poor, leaving a small or at least unempowered middle class; and the widespread failure of morality and/or integrity in the populace.

So the fact that a noble could arbitrarily kill or rape a non-noble with essentially total impunity doesn't provide a control mechanism? The fact that the few nobles owned everything and many the poor nothing doesn't suggest some sort of wealth gap to you? Is NO middle class small enough to meet your stringent criteria of "small"?

In terms of "failure of morality and/or integrity" I think we have a pretty accurate depiction medieval Europe. The societies were hugely violent (Medieval england was insanely violent, far more than the modern US). Nobles were rarely noted for their kindness and effective rule and much more noted for their rapacious and aggressive acquisitiveness. The rampant lawbreaking of the non-nobles was punished with draconian penalties. And for the paragon of morality, consider Pope Benedict IX's reign: Pope Victor III referred to "his rapes, murders and other unspeakable acts. His life as a Pope so vile, so foul, so execrable, that I shudder to think of it."
Synner667
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
Shadowrunverse is a dystopia though because it has significantly reduced social mobility -> if you are a SINless from an urban combat zone it is almost impossible to raise yourself above that, the governmental systems are weak, corrupt and ineffective OR an oppressive dictatorship, and the balance between private and oublic sector is wildly skewed one way.

Hmmm..
..I was under the impression that a SINless person could register for a SIN, and would then be able to gain the benefits if being a citizen.

Personally, I find it hilarious for people to assume that the US world of obsession with money to be the future..
..To believe that walking around with guns is normal, that all corps are corrupt, etc.
kzt
QUOTE (Synner667)
..To believe that walking around with guns is normal, that all corps are corrupt, etc.

At the beginning of the 20th century an extremely large percentage of the English citizens were armed on a daily basis. ("Beatrix Potter's journal records a discussion at a small country hotel in Yorkshire, where it turned out that only one of the eight or nine guests was not carrying a revolver.")

And all large organizations are corrupt to some extent. It's the law of large numbers. It's much less common that a large corporation is run by criminals than a labor union, but it happens.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Synner667)
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Sep 26 2007, 12:02 AM)

Hmmm..
..I was under the impression that a SINless person could register for a SIN, and would then be able to gain the benefits if being a citizen.

Why would it be a thing for Dunk to offer in his will then? To me, you are boned as an unperson.
mfb
QUOTE (kzt)
So the fact that a noble could arbitrarily kill or rape a non-noble with essentially total impunity doesn't provide a control mechanism? The fact that the few nobles owned everything and many the poor nothing doesn't suggest some sort of wealth gap to you? Is NO middle class small enough to meet your stringent criteria of "small"?

every government controls its populace. i stated a specific type of control as one of my criteria for a dystopia. as for the rest, well, as i said--some of the elements of a dystopia were present in medieval Europe.

QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)

i don't see much difference between being SINless and being, say, Tutsi, except that a Tutsi is vanishingly less likely to die in bed.
Irian
QUOTE (Synner667 @ Sep 26 2007, 01:50 AM)

I don't think so, probably there are many requirements you have to comply with before getting a SIN...
The best way is probably to find a corp that wants to give you a job - then you'll probably get a SIN, but that's not easy. Who wants to emply someone with no real education from the street officially?

If it were that easy to get a SIN, there would be not many SINless people left smile.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Sep 25 2007, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 25 2007, 07:54 PM)

Welcome to Hell.

hmm, so hell is in essence gray?

interesting.

No, Hell is not gray. Hell - at least to me - is working in a mindless job, five days a week. Typical bureucratic (sp?) jobs, pushing papers and tpying endless rows of unimportant letters. Every day from 9-5. Before and after you travel with other clerks, to get to your average boring home, where your boring woman and you annoying kids await you. Every week, every day, every hour is repeated endlessly with no chance to escape your miserable, unimportant, boring life.
Hell for me is like "American Beauty", "1984" and the description of office drones in SR.

And no, I'm not working in an office from 9-5. wink.gif

what does that make heaven then?

To work on projects you want to work on. Not for making money ('cause you're free of economic pressure), but because you're interest in it. Be it running a music label for the music you love, working as an actor or whatever.
Blade
... Or working in an office from 9-5 wink.gif
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (mfb)

i don't see much difference between being SINless and being, say, Tutsi, except that a Tutsi is vanishingly less likely to die in bed.

Sure, but one of the 'criteria' in the literary sense for a dystopia is no-where to go for help. Look at 1984 where the entire world is like that, or a brave new world where the only people not part of the system are helpless people hiding out in the country.

Now while I think the IMF and aid organizations are ham fisted at the best of times, you have to give them props for trying.
Grinder
QUOTE (Blade)
... Or working in an office from 9-5 wink.gif

Yeah, doing "important administrative tasks". grinbig.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
My family friend is a white, respectable, college educated, person. He was picked up without a warrant, held for 72 hours without a phone call, interrogated by the feds without a lawyer present, and his wife called the cops to report him as a missing person.

The only thing illegal in that paragraph is '72 hours'. Since the US was the US, people could be arrested and held for 24 hours without a lawyer present and without a 'right to a phone call'. To take it a step further, did he try leaving? Police will regularly pick people up, bring them to the station and grill them, never telling the person he has a right to stand up and walk out at his leisure. If the guy wasn't bright enough to at least try and leave, the entire thing could be completely legal.

i don't see that the SR sarariman's freedoms are any more illusory than ours.  the gubmint is no less empowered or less likely to take a person's guns away than a megacorp. nor are his choices in employment or socialization particularly limited, except by society--again, no real difference. for that matter, even if the sarariman does find himself unable to pursue his dreams while working for a megacorp, he's got an out--he can enter the shadows.

Then you may not be playing the same game as me smile.gif From what I've seen, in Shadowrun, the average (that's important) person is born into a corp. He or she is given a job based off his or her abilities. That person cannot reasonably move especially far up or down, and generally will retire only a few notches above where he started. Both the government and corporation have the right to spy when they want, to seize him or his property when they want. He should not have a reasonable expectation of justice. Worst of all, this fellow has no expectation that this will be better for his children.

Now perhaps you play a game where people can change jobs relatively easily, like they do now. You work for Renraku one day and apply to Fuchi the next without any problem. Where the government has to prove to a judge due cause before seizing your possessions, and where the average SR character can expect actual justice. If so, you'd be justified in comparing SR favorably to the real world.

QUOTE (nezumi)
I have more freedom, more individuality, more mobility than my father or my grandfather did.

that's kinda my point. Richard Villiers has even more freedom, even more individuality, and even more mobility than you. that's part of why he lives in a dystopia--the massive gap between the rich and the poor. it's hard to call medieval Europe a dystopia because, from our perspective, the rich elite weren't all that much better off than the serfs.

How can you compare me, an average Joe, to Richard Villiers? I'm not rich, but I still have mobility and freedom, that's the point. John Smith of Renraku Collecting & Receiving does not have mobility nor freedom, nor will his children likely have either. That is why I do not live in a dystopia and John does.
Zak
You should not forget that you and me, and probably most of the readers and posters in this forum are far away from the social bottom line. (even though we are far from the top)
Have a look on how crap life is for an 'illegal' human today. And I am not talking about China or some African nation, I am talking about the US and Europe.
The problem for us is not, that we don't have the options to do differently, but that we are satisfied with living our 'save' and 'secure' life.
We're pretty much offtopic though I'd say:)
hobgoblin
how about: sr = feudal japan, with the corps the clans and the runners the ninja?
nezumi
QUOTE (Zak)
You should not forget that you and me, and probably most of the readers and posters in this forum are far away from the social bottom line. (even though we are far from the top)

We don't define things like dystopia based on the very extremes of society, but rather on the vast majority of the population. I don't believe the very, very bottom of the rung in the US is especially large. That isn't to say these problems aren't important, but they shouldn't really factor into determining if our society at large is dystopian or not.
pbangarth
QUOTE (nezumi)

We don't define things like dystopia based on the very extremes of society, but rather on the vast majority of the population. I don't believe the very, very bottom of the rung in the US is especially large. That isn't to say these problems aren't important, but they shouldn't really factor into determining if our society at large is dystopian or not.

Hmmm... bottom rung not very large?

12 or 13 million illegal immigrants working as near-slaves in fear of deportation. 50 million or so people with absolutely no health insurance in fear of breaking a bone they can't pay to repair.

And a disappearing middle class, a few of whom go up the scale, the rest tending towards the millions above.

Sounds pretty large to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012