Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atlanta 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
ludomastro
Other than a couple walking down the street the group doesn't see anyone. They soon arrive at the museum and see the security guard - an ork - on his personal transport. Otherwise the museum is dark.

Personal transport ~ Segway wink.gif
Redjack
As the trash truck nears the museum, Tank collects a trash can (one of the ~55 gallon sized ones). He pulls up and stops, parking the trash truck near the museum..

The existence of a security guard outside the museum is unexpected, but not a show stopper. Book looks to System Error. "I suggest we start by you owning his com. From there, you can determine what security measures he is tied directly into: cameras, access to the building, other guards on duty. Once that is complete, we can adapt the plan, give him a little of the same treatment we gave the mage and get the hell out of here. Prize in tact."

Tank simply nods. Just let me play my part... Man I could sure use a drink..

While System begins his work, Book projects his consciousness into the astral and begins looking for any astral over watch.
ludomastro
Book's meat eyes see nothing out of the ordinary. Just a bum lying in the museum's grassy area.

On the astral he spots a few watchers roaming around the museum. The bum has some cyberware in his arms.

-----

Tank takes a good look around the area and notices three things. There is a small tracked security drone making rounds, a few lights are on in the administration section of the museum and there is an undercover guard lying in the grass pretending to be a bum.
Redjack
Book shifts his gaze back from the astral. "Not sure we are gonna pull this off without generating some heat. There are some watchers floating around. Granted, they're not very smart, but without knowing what their trigger is... We are gonna have to play that totally by ear. Once they light up, astral space could get crowded... Unless our boy in the back in the summoner..."

Tank checks in as well. "Yea, I got security in the park and a drone on patrol in addition to the obvious guard."

Book looks to the team hacker. "Ok. System, where do we sit with the guard's com? Is the drone slaved to it? If not, can you grab it too? We need to start making decisions on feed back loops and whether or not we are still green and go."

Tank, never one to miss the obvious, adds: "And we need to make those decisions quick. In about two minutes the trash truck is gonna start raising questions."
ludomastro
System Error's voice has taken on a metallic quality but he quickly answers. The guard's comm runs the doors and I have him playing a shell game at the moment. The doors won't be a problem. There is a memo on there stating that the Vatican has added two security guards. One mage and one cybergoon. I believe that the administrative offices have been turned into a makeshift base. I am spoofing the drone now. ... Got it. It can report whatever we want.
Redjack
"Merde! Merde! Merde!" Book couldn't think of anything else to say at the moment. Time is slipping and they have some major improvisation right now. This is what we get paid for.. Thinking on our feet... But it obviously isn't enough.. Pay, that is.

Tank offers up, "Starting from the outside in, I can hit the dude in the park before he knows what him. Coordinating with System on the drone and the guard location."

Book has a moment of dawning. "Actually, this may be the best thing for us. We know the two mages who work primary security and now we have the back up mage.... The cost of magical security, surely this is it. We put this guy to sleep and pull this off and it looks more and more like an inside job... And this little drone on the parameter will help me establish it as an inside job..." He starts to smile again leaning back in his seat yet again to project out of his body. His destination is to see how close he can get to the administrative office. He is wary of the watchers in the area and will back off if they seem to be watching it as well... Probably not though... That would draw attention to it and I imagine the addition mage doesn't want the attention on him..
ludomastro
System Error looks at Book for a moment and then replies in a faux robot voice, Does not compute. Switching back to a normal voice he adds, I'm not following you there Book. Tank, your idea I understand entirely. Just tell me when you are ready and what you want the drone to do.

Noticing that Book's body seems lifeless, System Error glances over at Tank and asks, Does he do that often. The whole not finishing thoughts and jacking into the mana ... or whatever it is that mages do?
Redjack
Tank smirks, "Yes he does. I guess it is one of those things.. Personally, I don't know any other mages so I just deal with it." He looks back out of the trash truck. "In any case, I'm ready to get this on... He better get back so we can get moving."
ludomastro
Book is unable to find a way past the watchers; however, he is able to avoid detection. Lining up a view through the window only shows a low force ward in the office.
Redjack
Book returns to his body and sits back up. "The astral side of this is infinitely more complex. The office is warded and there are watchers moving about. In my mind, we have two choices. First, cut and run. If we do that though, our reps go to the toilet. We could feasibly hit it later as our run on the security mage shouldn't be linked to this, but our next run at it would be equally -or- more complicated."

Tank scowls. Damn I need a drink. Looking around in the trash truck, he thinks about the bottle he has stashed back in his own vehicle. "No way. How do we do it tonight?"

Book continues, "Yes, the other option is to improvise. I'm gonna have to draw the mage out and hit him in astral space. I normally prefer to avoid combat, but it seems it is required here. I will pull up some spirits in the astral, hit his watchers and ambush him when he comes to investigate." Looking around, he sees that the task is far more daunting to himself than his team mates. "System - Put the external cameras over here on loop back, inside the guard and security drone are clear. Tank - Hit the agent in the park with the new ammo, then hit the guard. Once you target the guard, my spirits and I will start targeting watchers. Everyone understand?"

Tank gestures, "How will you know we are hitting the guard?"

"I will be in the van in the astral. Just start a countdown: Ready, three, two, one... Then we will hit them together."
ludomastro
System Error smiles and in a slightly robotic voice says, Command executed.
Redjack
Following System's go ahead, Tank activates his hot-sim and jumps into the drone. Feeling the drones as if it was his own body, he eases it out of the truck. He slowly moves it around the corner, sights in the 'bum' and lets a burst loose.

Book on the meantime has stepped into astral space. He calls forth his bound air spirit and spirit of man, placing them on standby before summoning a beast spirit. The sustained spells however distract him and he is unable to wrestle a spirit from the metaplanes. His second attempt however is very successful. Three spirits now on standby, he awaits the signal to proceed.

Back in the mundane world, Tank checks fire, checking to see if his target was taken down by his initial shot.
ludomastro
The bum writhes in pain letting loose a gut wrenching scream. He doubles over but is still moving. His eyes are searching for the source of the shot but he misses the van completely - he ends up looking at a parked car on the other side of the street.

System Error giggles while the security guard spins around his seemingly possessed personal transport. A few seconds later the guard jumps off while the transport spins in wider circles.

-----

The watcher spirits scatter with one heading back toward the ward in the office.
Redjack
In VR, Tank begins cussing up a storm as he sites the 'bum' in again, releasing a short, wide burst this time.

In the astral, Book swings into motion. He considers blasting the watchers, but changes his mind. Confident that, not only is System intercepting and suppressing alerts, but that the mage will investigate before sounding the alarm. After all, no astral activity....yet. Hopefully he will pop out to see what it going on. Book moves above the office, so as to be in a position to see the mage's exit point. To his spirits: "Defend me"
ludomastro
The wide spray of bullets take down the guard in his bum guise as he raises his firearm.

The drones show that the security guard is coming off the group pulling his sidearm free from the holster and yelling into what can only be assumed as a communication device.

A seemingly female voice drifts out of System Error Lonestar dispatch office. What is the nature of your emergency?

-----

A winged humanoid figure emerges from the warded area. It appears to be about seven feet tall with movable wings, though they don't appear to be moving. The being is bathed is a white hot light that seems to burn. It turns it's gauge toward the cluster of spirits around Snake.
Redjack
Tank turns the doberman, waiting for the guard to come into view. Oblivious to the degrading situation in astral space, he is upbeat at the current situation. He stifles a laugh as System p0wns the call to emergency services. Here little guard... Come and get your medicine....

Floating above the facility, Book releases the invisibility spell on himself and generates the best stun bolt he can muster as his own spirits move defensively in front of him. He groans at the strain. Back in the van, blood begins trickling down his nose.
ludomastro
The manabolt erupts from the spirit's center. It begins to buckle inward and in a flash of light and heat, it is gone.
Redjack
Book looks in near disbelief as the monstrous spirit dissipates. As he gains control of his faculties, he has an epiphany. Well, the defecation is in the ventilation now..
He and his spirits await the next wave and hopefully the mage as he glances down, noticing the guard headed for the corner in the mundane world.

Tank on the other hand awaits the guard's arrival, using the video feed from the security drone supplied by System to spring his ambush. As the guard comes around the corner, Tank targets him and lets a narrow burst rip. "Buuuuyahhhh!"
ludomastro
As the guard comes around he catches the doberman out out of the corner of his eye. He attempts to react but is too slow. The bullets rip into him and he crumples in a heap.
Redjack
Tank whoops again, ecstatic that the guard is down. He places the doberman on defensive mode, jumps out and sits up. He pulls the thin mask over his face, confident of the magical mask, but wary should it fail or need to be dropped. He looks over at Book's body and speaks into the air, not realizing the shaman is not there. "Let's go. The clock is ticking...."

High above the building, Book looks intently for the astral follow up....
Redjack
Seeing the mage poke his head out of the ward, Book knows it is now or never and that the only way to drop the watchers is to drop the mage. He winces as he once again overcasts fearing the pain and destruction to his body. His trepidation at casting the power magic, the focus to sustain Tank's mask and Snake's aversion to combat cause the effect to be far less than spectacular. I can only hope his day is worse than mine is Book's thought as he looks at the watchers flying away, hoping and praying they blink out of existence.

In any case, Book returns to his body, spirits now providing over watch from the astral. He bolts up, pulling his mask over his face, jumping out of the trash truck. Tank, still looking like an ork in a garbage collector's uniform, grabs the roller platform and the two run for the museum.
ludomastro
The stunbolt slams into a barrier near the mage. Book recognizes it as a counterspell in action.

-----

As Book and Tank dash toward the museum a small, neon-orange cat appears in AR and says, There may be more guards inside, watch yourselves!
Redjack
As the pair approach the museum, the doberman comes up alongside the ork garbageman (aka Tank) while the pair of spirits continue to provide over watch from the astral. Tank pulls out his fly-spy, opens an AR window to receive the video feed from the small drone and proceed into the museum.
ludomastro
Tank and Book reach the doors without incident. The neon-orange cat paws at the door and it pops open. As they go inside the cat hisses a split second before ....

Roll Perception for Book and Tank
Redjack
[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
The neon-orange cat hisses as the dark and silent lobby is ripped open by the sound of automatic fire.
Redjack
As the gunfire rips through the lobby, Tank instinctively twists to the side. "Shit" growls the ork sanitation worker. Why the hell didn't he just make me disappear?!
ludomastro
The bullets come close to nailing Tank as he comes through the door. The lights are still off in the museum but the muzzle flash of the would be assassin is obvious.

IP 2

There is the sound of feet shuffling toward a large out-cropping of wall.
Redjack
Tank dives for cover, tossing one of the neuro-stun grenades he acquires for the run. Fly true.. Fly true...
As he watches the grenade go wide, he mentally curses for not having played baseball as a youth and orders the drone to target and engage the hostiles.

Meanwhile with the jig being up, Book drops the masking spell and hugs the wall.

The doberman receives the command and acquires a lock on the primary attacker.
ludomastro
The grenade flies past the target and toward the statue. The characteristic hiss of the gas being released can't be heard under the echo of the gunfire. The glass from the would be assassin's bullets on the other hand can be heard just fine.

The doberman rolls forward seeking a target. It sends an AR message that it has a lock to Tank's comm.

-----

To Book's side, on the Astral, the beast spirit - in the form of a giant feral squirrel - moves toward the astral form of the previously hiding mage.

End of IP #2
Redjack
Book and Tank moving with unaugmented meat bodies cannot keep up with the battle raging around them. As the guard moves towards cover the drone lets a burst loose.

In the astral, Book's two bound spirits stay ready in astral space to defend the shaman. The first spirit like a spring thundercloud, mana rippling off of it like lightning while the second spirit, in the form of janitor with a large broom in his hands, stands ready to take out the garbage. As the beast spirit springs the the astral to lacerate the previously hidden mage, Book calls forth a watcher spirit. "Find the sniper and annoy him." The watcher floats near the shaman, not even a meter in height. It looks like a chubby, middle aged, balding man in a cheap suit several sizes too small. "Woob, woob, woob!" is all it exclaims as it vaults off, slapping itself in the face, seeking the sniper.
ludomastro
IP #3

Book's stooge takes off to find the sniper and to give him a poke in the eye. The rabid squirrel bites the astral form of the mage doing some damage. The mage responds by hurling a bolt of mana at the beast ... to no effect.
ludomastro
Round 2, IP #1

Another "angel" wreathed in flame rises up to assist the mage with his vermin problem as the spirit attacks the squirrel with his spear.

-----

The formerly hidden guard stutters slightly on his take off step before taking a shot at Book. His stutter-step causes him to miss Book entirely.
Redjack
Unaware of the problems in astral space, Tank focuses on the mundane work. He crouches, holding fire, anticipating the drone will deal with the first guard. His primary concern is to insure that there is only one guard. The drone releases another burst at the stumbling guard.

In astral space, the squirrel attacks the mage after getting swiped by the angel. Meanwhile, Book shifts his perceptions to the astral. Seeing the ensuing combat, he commands the air spirit "Attack the mage!", keeping the spirit of man defending himself.
ludomastro
Tank is able to determine that there is no other gunman in the area. The drone fires on the would-be-assassin giving his location away to Tank. Miraculously, the gunman is able to avoid the shot from the drone.

-----

The squirrel goes to bite the mage and in a display of astral combat that would amaze most onlookers, he turns the tables and gets in a jab at the squirrel.

Responding to Book's command the air spirit begins closing with the mage to attack.
Redjack
The squirrel easily avoids the mage's turn about jab. Then, a swirling mist, dark like storm cloud, the air spirit moves across astral space to the hurling towards him at the speed of thought.

Tank considers blasting the security guard, but decides that a murder rap is not in his plans for the day. Instead, knowing the grenade is an area effect, he throws a second grenade at the guard... this time, lady luck is with him.
ludomastro
The mage manages to swirl out of the way yet again, despite the flashes of lightning.

-----

Tank's shot lands where it was intended.

End Round 2, IP #1
ludomastro
Round 2, IP 2

The Angel move to attack Book jabbing at him with a fiery spear.

-----

The security mage begins to withdraw from the area.
Redjack
As the angel jabs Book's astral form with its fiery spear, he is slammed into by the mystic janitor's broom as the spirit of man defends his charge. The feral squirrel and tornado swarm the mage in astral space seeking to overwhelm him.

Back in the mundane world, the drone lets loose another volley at the fleeing security guard. Tank and Book, both moving with un-enhanced meat-bodies momentarily become spectators in the mayhem that is the combat swirling around them.

As the guard attempts to get himself out of the neurostun gas cloud and stick-n-shock darts flying toward him, a ghostly little man in from of his face raises its little fists menacingly with a cry of, "Where ya going? Put 'em up!"
ludomastro
The guard goes down to the drone's relentless attack.

-----

The astral form of the fleeing mage is harried back to his body where he is promptly knocked unconscious. No longer bound to serve the mage, the fiery angel folds its wings and arms in prayer before fading away.

-----

The neon-orange cat pops into the teams AR and meows the following warning:
Pick up the pace. The Star is on the way.
Redjack
The threat abated, Tank pulls on his gas mask and sends a new command to the Doberman: <<@Doberman [Tank] Resume defensive posture.>> all the while thinking, Wow! Saved my bacon getting that little drone.

Its singular service complete the feral squirrel turns to Book, who in turns bows. "Go with my thanks." and it is gone. He pulls his his gas mask over his face and turns to the two remaining spirits guarding him. "I will be stepping through a ward. You cannot follow me, but I will be back momentarily so you can complete your original task." He bows to them, returns his perceptions to the mundane and heads through the wards with Tank.
Redjack
As Tank heads over to the unconscious guard to collect the stick-n-shock darts and the spent grenades, he looks to the timer: 27 seconds. That was the count-down since "go". The earliest at which someone might have been alerted to their presence.

Simultaneously Book reaches just inside the inner ward, releasing the watcher on the way, rolling the platform for the statue. He recalls the two earth elementals he previously summoned for just this occasion. They appear, both as squat flowing granite-like roman statues, manifesting there and looking for direction from the shaman.
30 Seconds

Book moves away from the statue, retreating out of the inner ward. "Place the statue on the platform and gently push it through the ward." The great spirits obey and Book releases them.
33 Seconds

Tank runs out towards the trash truck, leaving the doberman to defend Book if needed, while Book recalls one of the spirits.
As it manifests he commands it, "Push this statue through the next ward", gesturing towards the outer ward. He then steps across the threshold outside of the outer ward.
The spirit, much faster than Book, even in a manifested form begins moving the statue.
36 Seconds

Outside of the second ward, Book calls the second earth spirit a second time. "As the statue comes through the ward push it along and follow me and load it in the back our our truck." The air spirit and spirit of man resume their protective stances around Book in astral space.
39 Seconds

The status through the outer ward and rolling forward, Book releases the first earth spirit and then calls it a third time. Tank, having reached the trash truck sticks the mage in his arse with a couple of the collected stick-n-shock darts. Go back to sleep.
42 Seconds

Book looks to the newly, re-manifested earth spirit and gestures towards the other. "Assist him with his task.".
Tank slings the unconscious security shaman back over his shoulder and heads back towards the museum.
45 Seconds

Book summons an air spirit, staggering at the effort, as they head towards the exit.
48 Seconds

Heading through the doorway, Book orders the new spirit. "Conceal the statue from others." He also shifts his gaze to the astral to insure the security shaman is truly asleep as he and Tank pass.
51 Seconds

Tank drops the unconscious security mage, retrieving the mage mask and the restraints.
54 Seconds

Tank exits the museum, hitting the door latch with a spot of glue from the spray before closing it. That out to buy us a minute or two. Meanwhile, the spirits load the statue into the trash truck.
54 Seconds

Book looks the the array of spirits. He had thought to keep them, but a trash truck with spirits would stand out in the astral like a sole house with power during a blackout. To the bound spirits, "Your service is complete. Go with my thanks." To the unbound spirit. "Wait for me five blocks that way." gesturing in their direction of travel.
Tank climbs in back with the statue. Time to check for bugs. and he begins making sure they don't have an unwelcome calling card.
57 Seconds

Climbing into the front with System Error Book says with a smile, "What are you waiting for? Let's go"
60 Seconds
ludomastro
The robotic voice coming from System Error answers the seemingly rhetorical question. We are waiting for a window. Seconds later the trash truck begins to move to the south, away from the rendezvous. It begins simulated trash pickup again.

-----

The sound of sirens can be heard in the distance and then shortly thereafter, the Star, is on the scene. It looks like a fire ant hill that has been stirred up by someone who should know better. The officers and the heavy artillery fan out in all directions and begin locking down intersections and throwing pedestrians on the ground. The net is being cast but an accident to the south prevents them from closing off all the roads.

-----

Shortly, System Error comes back to himself and smiles. The trash truck continues on its way. The group is treated to several news helicopters heading toward the museum.
Redjack
Book keeps watch for anything out of the ordinary or any new found tails, while Tank checks the ammunition on the doberman after looking the statue over for bugs. Finding several, Tank smashes each of the RFID tags and the bug. No sense giving them anymore clues than they already have.

Book accesses the LTG for the Johnson.
<<@Johnson [Book] We have a delivery. Just one truck, but we need an address correct.>>
ludomastro
Proceed to these coordinates.

-----

The team arrives at a mostly finished parking deck for an un-finished building. The truck barely fits inside but makes it without a problem. The locator reaches zero in the middle of a completed deck. The area is bathed in blackness save for the single point of light emanating from the green "Exit" sign.
ludomastro
After fifteen minutes of boredom in the semi-dark, System Error bolts up. They've cut of the 'trix! He looks truly pained and somewhat panicked. Without asking he grabs your comms and cuts through the firewalls with ease. He looks a little less pained but still scared.

A pair of headlights appears in front of the truck, followed by a second and then a third. Metahuman shapes appear in the light. Some are human or elf - it's hard to tell. There are a few orks and one troll.

An ork voice calls out, Do you have it?
Redjack
<<@Johnson [Book] Proceed to these coordinates.>>

Book accepts the GPS ARO and passes it off to System Error. "Can you have Tank's ride shadow us? About two blocks back." The duo sit quietly for the duration of the ride. Quietly, but paranoid and diligent about watching for tails or suspicious people.

As they reach the waiting air spirit, Book gives the command for its last service. "Protect the three of us. If we pass through a ward, do not break the ward. Wait for me outside the ward, unless you become aware of us being attacked."
---------
As the truck comes to a stop, Book looks to the astral. He is expecting to be in a ward, but wants to be sure.
---------
Tank and Book begin to remove all traces of their having been in the trash truck. Though they are still in gloves and masks, Book checks to make sure his nose bleeding did not drip on the upholstery, etc. Tank unloads his doberman and the prepare to head for the green exit door with System Error.

"They've cut of the 'trix!"

As the lights wash over the foursome, Dalton reaches out in AR as his feed from the doberman indicates it has begun acquiring targets.... but not yet finished.
<<@Team [Tank] Looks like a show of strength.>>

Book looks towards the speaker, shifting his perceptions back to the astral so as to give him a better look. "Yes, we have it. And one of the security mages will have some heavy explaining to do about why he is onsite and how we learned so much about the security." He pauses a moment, keeping his gaze towards the speaker. "No fatalities and the closest thing to a casualty will be a possible overdose of sedatives. They are having a bit of a problem opening one of the doors. Besides that, and the fact the statue is here, its like we weren't even there. I believe we have completed the primary, secondary and bonus objectives?"

Tank is not nearly as calm about the whole deal as Book, fearing their employers may be looking to tie up a few loose ends. Why didn't we wrap the damn thing in enough explosives to blow us all up before coming into this little trap? God I need a drink..
ludomastro
Book sees a dozen "angels" on the astral but no ward. Despite being different from each other, they do not appear to hostile in any way.

-----

The ork begins laughing. Efficient and to the point. I am sending in my expert to verify that the statue is in one piece. You will be paid for the primary and secondary objectives now. Since keeping things quiet is a long term issue, we reserve the right to hold payment on the bonus for five days. Do we have an agreement?

An audible chime sounds and the ork answers a corded device. Here. ... Yes, sir. ... Tiny is just about to check it. ... Of course, sir. The ork hangs up.
Redjack
The fact that there are angels in astral space causes Book some initial concern. The laughter from the ork brings a wave of calm to both Book and Tank though. Book smirks a little himself under the face mask. It appears we've dropped right in the middle of some internal politics. Truth be known, he really didn't care about politics that didn't affect him, but snake was nagging. There are secrets here..

Book nods, Now is not the time to argue terms. "That is acceptable. The final payment will be made through our intermediary?"

This time its Tank's turn to smirk, That's a fancy word for Digger.
ludomastro
Agreed. He snaps his fingers and "Tiny" - the troll - steps forward. Once he gets into the light it is obvious that this is not a "normal" troll. Tiny is dressed to the nines in finery. His vestment is a light shade of purple which gives good contrast to his ebony skin. He walks over to the statue and begins checking it over. He nods, grimaces, picks, scrapes and compares. He even puts on what appears to be archaic glasses but only one lense. He then stands and in perfect British English declares, It is authentic. He then packs his tools and returns to the relative shadows. Three orks wheel a dolly over to the statue. All are wearing an unfamiliar uniform. They place the statue on the dolly and move it toward one set of headlights.

The ork watches impassively and then nods. At this barely perceptive signal the groups withdraw to their respective vehicles and leave the ork standing there by himself. He nods once more to the group and says, Remember, the essence of this thing must be quiet. He tips his hat and heads back to his car.

A moment after he leaves, System Error returns to normal and with a sheepish grin returns your comms. I get a little ... jumpy without the 'trix around me.

The three are left with the empty, dark of the garage. The only sound is that of traffic on the nearby street.

-----

The astral is clear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012