Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Game level
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
DTFarstar
*sigh* I keep feeling like I should comment here, but Khadim and Frank have covered all the points I would make, and quite ably I might add. It makes me glad to see you both posting actively again. If only DocFunk would come back as well, I could be truly happy for DS.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in agreeing with Khadim and Frank and to let you guys know someone appreciates the contribution and is watching trying to help.

Chris
martindv
QUOTE (mfb)
because the only things that can really piss a person off are things that the person has a strong attachment to in the first place. and when something pisses a person off like that, it takes a really, really, really long fucking time to get unpissed.
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
I think you're making up your own things to argue against. I don't think people here are whinging about SR4 not being supposed to be situationist (whatever that means). We seem mostly to be saying that when the rules say you can try to exploit a gap in the armour, it isn't unreasonable for a GM to say there isn't a gap in the armour sometimes. The weird thing you are doing which makes it look so much like you have an agenda, is that you're trying to state that a GM sometimes saying there isn't a gap in the armour is a house rule.

simulationist, not situationist. one definition of a simulationist game system is one which requires very little outside direction--one where the GM can largely get by with just plugging in a situation, and isn't required to make many judgement calls as to how the rules should be applied. the opposite would be a more free-form game system, like the new Star Wars d20 ruleset. in this type of game system, the rules are very loose, and the GM and players can (and are required to) work together to maintain any sort of internal consistency.
Crusher Bob
I'll have to come down more on Cain's side of this argument, mostly because SR4 allows characters to be so far beyond maximum human ability.

For example:
We have pedestrian defaulting from agility to shoot you, and rolling 2 dice.
We compare her to, say, Carlos Hathcock, rolling 15 dice (AGL 6, Longarm 7, Specialty +2)
Gunny Hathcock is 14 dice better than the pedestrian.

Now, we compare, the munched out elven gun-bunny adept (Agl 12, Skill 10, specialty 2) + a smart link, giving him 26 dice.
This puts him at 12 dice over Gunny Hathcock.

So when this guy shoots, he makes Hathcock looks like a pedestrian defaulting to agility in comparison.

Now, consider such a difficult shot, that even Hathcock would hard trouble doing it, with around -12 dice in penalties. He's got two dice left over, and basically no one else in the world could do that shot.

The gun-bunny, doing the same shot has 14 dice left over. So basically he shoots as well as as Hathcock when he is holding the gun to your head.

Next, we'll consider a shot that Hathcock couldn't make, even on hit luckiest day (we'll ignore the problems with the longshot test and just assume edge add dice. We'll assume Hatchcock is quite lucky and give him an edge of 6. This means that he finds shot impossible at penalties of -20. The gun bunny still has 6 dice left over, he can do this shot quite easily.

Once you get beyond human ability, you can't rely on common sense to tell you what you can or can't do. Sure no human can punch through an inch of armor steel, but can superman? You have to rely on the rules to tell you what you can and can't do, and the SR4 rules say that once you get 20+ dice in a skill, you can do a whole lot.

The skill levels available in SR4 seem to fit better into exalted where you get results like "Convince the hostile crowd at your execution to overrun the guards, set you free, and become the fanatically loyal core of your liberating army" are par for the course.

martindv
That's probably why the Attribute+Skill vs. Fixed TN mechanic is used in Exalted.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 12 2008, 12:41 AM)
In addition to what Fortune said, I'll point out that the rules still allow you to shoot at someone in total cover, at only a -6 penalty.  They don't get the benefit of a barrier rating, even if you have absolutely no LOS to your target.

Doesn't this argument taken to its logical extreme mean that I can get a rocket launcher, and then stand in Australia, then point it in a random direction, fire, and hit Hestaby right in the face. (I may need an ICBM, so change 'australia' for 'russia', but you could trim the ranges and it would still work.)
Kyoto Kid
...tried to hit Hesty in the face once, didn't work...retired character when she bacame another nameless minion.
toturi
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
In addition to what Fortune said, I'll point out that the rules still allow you to shoot at someone in total cover, at only a -6 penalty.  They don't get the benefit of a barrier rating, even if you have absolutely no LOS to your target.

Doesn't this argument taken to its logical extreme mean that I can get a rocket launcher, and then stand in Australia, then point it in a random direction, fire, and hit Hestaby right in the face. (I may need an ICBM, so change 'australia' for 'russia', but you could trim the ranges and it would still work.)

You could if Hestaby didn't Dodge. Or wasn't a draconic Gymnast.
Cain
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)

No, it means Hestaby doesn't get a Barrier rating to protect herself. cool.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)

It's not true, though. The rules for shooting through barriers on pg. 157 make it abundantly clear that the -6 modifier is in addition to the protection that the target receives from the barrier. And the called shot rule is specifically qualified with "The gamemaster decides if such a vulnerable spot is accessible." And even the long shot rules can't change things like maximum weapon range or the inability of weapons fire to penetrate a barrier rating higher than the modified DV. SR4 has its share of flaws, but the examples being given here are not really plausible or fair ones, as people like Knasser and Frank have already pointed out.

Besides, who would want to do a long shot with an ICBM, even if you have 8 Edge dice? What if you critical glitch? "Sorry, the nuke goes off prematurely, and you are vaporized instantly, along with a good chunk of Siberian real estate." dead.gif
Cthulhudreams
Nah, you can burn permanent edge to bust out of that, what could possibly go wrong? (Also: I was being stupid to demonstrate the absurdities of this argument. I will indeed ramp up the stupid in this post.)

On a more serious note, the main thrust of my argument was that letting those stupid longshots exists is the same as allowing you to shoot at things when you don't even have to know if any possible target exists or not, nor where it is.

For example, longshot on an buttoned up APC. If you look at a M113 - a pretty standard APC, vietnam era, you've seen it on the news - if the APC is buttoned up (and its a later model without firing ports), it is not possible to see if there is a driver, or a passenger, or indeed anyone else in the vehicle. It is NBC sealed, though it may just use overpressure so possibly not airtight, but it is certainly LOS obscuring. In the world of shadowrun, there does not even need to be anyone in the vehicle to drive it either so movement does not imply the existence of a driver, or if you extend the 'rigger' rigging it to be the 'driver' they do not have to be on the same continent.

Thus we are presented with two absurdist situations:

If a rigger using AR to control the APC like a radio controlled car in australia does not count as the driver of an APC in America, then you are allowing Mr Lucky to take longshots against abstract concepts (specifically, a component of his conceptual model of how APCs work) without any proof of a particular instantiation. I'd suggest you get right on shooting platonic concepts and internet memes, particularly lolcats.

If the rigger does count as the driver, Mr lucky aim at the american based APC, take the shot which will then complete a transatlantic crossing and hits the rigger in a hermetically sealed concrete bunker right in the face, in less than 3 seconds!

(there's probably a third case, in which the GM lets him do it if it really does have a driver, and doesn't if it doesn't. But in that case your gun has just turned into a magical divining rod, and you just need to wander around with your pistol taking longshots at the point at which you can start a hugely profitable mine with no risk or something else equally silly.)

Of course the logical conclusion is the GM to ban the shot as discretion is specifically invoked for this particular rule, but that option seems prohibited?
mfb
QUOTE (Glyph)
SR4 has its share of flaws, but the examples being given here are not really plausible or fair ones, as people like Knasser and Frank have already pointed out.

as Crusher Bob pointed out, the problem is that it's very difficult to figure out what should be 'impossible' for a man who can succeed with ease where the most well-trained, well-prepared, unaugmented human would be unable to succeed at all. i don't think it should be the GM's job, in general, to decide what's impossible and what isn't. i think that sort of thing is best left to the ruleset to decide in all but the wackiest, unlikely of edge cases. shooting through vehicle armor is hardly a wacky, unlikely edge case.

the reason i think this is that in the end, deciding what's possible and what's impossible helps define the world you play in. for instance, if it's impossible to accurately fire two pistols simultaneously while leaping sideways through the air, then the world you play in is never going to resemble a John Woo movie. if it's only possible for characters with massive dice pools, then some games will resemble a John Woo movie (and will be derided as munchkin-fests). if anybody with two dice to rub together can do it, then going to the grocery store in your world will resemble a John Woo movie.
Cthulhudreams
No, shooting through the window of an armoured limo is not particularly fantastic, but just extremely difficult. I'm not sure people would be crying so hard about that. But shooting through the armour of an APC with a pistol at a target you cannot see or know if it exists is an extremely wacky edge case.
mfb
no, it's not a wacky edge case. a wacky edge case is one that's incredibly unlikely to ever come up in a campaign--a pregnant woman surviving a fall out of an airplane without a parachute, for instance. shooting at someone you can't see, through vehicle armor or not, is neither wacky nor an edge case.
Cthulhudreams
I didn't say merely 'you cannot see' they might have just ducked behind cover, and the long shot can be easily rationalized as 'well you wing him with a lucky shot before he ducks away' or something I'm not even sure I care (for example the sniping the guy in the boat with the HMG case, cool, nice trick, whatever, I'd probably let the PCs do that, though it is a bit stupid.)

I did say 'you cannot see, nor do you know if it exists' which is a really important difference. A contrasting example: Guy ducks behind an armored barrier and you longshot him. Okay, likely to come up in a game, don't mind the lucky shot, whatever.

Taking the same shot 10 minutes later against 'the guy who ducked behind the barricade' not okay - you have no idea where he is, this is completely absurd (is any player ever going to do that? ever?) and a wacky edge case.
mfb
it's still not a wacky edge case. people do it in real life all the time. it's called 'searching fire'. you shoot at a spot you suspect a bad guy might be in. if he falls over and dies, or shoots back, then you found him. if not, you haven't (or maybe he's just really cool under fire).
Cthulhudreams
Called shots are described as 'specifically aiming at vulnerable points of a target' ie not searching fire in any way, because searching fire is a series of gunshots in a pattern in an attempt to route out a hostile position.

Taking the long shot mechanic as used here to enable a really specific called shot and then rebranding as searching fire is being a bit generous. Searching fire is most closely matched to suppressive fire and we both know it, or potentially blind fire through a barrier, which we are also doing here, but only in combination with highly specific called shots.

So no, longshots are not the best mechanical fit for searching fire, and if someone is using searching fire they need another mechanic.

Fuchs
In the M113 case, the sniper would shoot at the location where the driver would be sitting if he was in there. I'd probably allow for a (military knowledge: Vehicles) roll to determine if the sniper knows where the driver would sit, if he could know such a thing (like, if all M113 of one series had driver controls moved to the center of the vehicle when they were upgraded to rigger controls). If he hits well enough, then he'd hit where the driver would be sitting if he's there. He'd not suddenly hit a driver sitting in the central area if he aimed at the left forward area.

For searching fire, I usually just roll a die for random chance.
Cthulhudreams
yeah but suddenly hitting someone of whom you have no idea of their position of existence is indeed being discussed, not shooting a particularly point in space and hoping that is occupied.

Edit: Another arbitary way to look at it.

A boeing 747 simulator encased in a 10 foot thick hollow sphere of concrete. inside are two pilots at two sets of controls who are taking successive turns to train on the simulator, but who are physically a distance apart.

Some people (cain) are saying that Mr lucky can pick up a gun, and without knowing where either person is, or that there are two of them, or who is controlling the simulator at the moment declare he is shooting the person who is currently controlling the simulator and hit him despite the solid sphere of concrete.

Other people (me) are disagreeing.
mfb
Cthulhudreams, you responded to my post, so my assumption was that you were responding to what i said rather than continuing your own argument in the guise of a response. i see now that this is not the case.

in the case of shooting at the 'driver' of a rigged vehicle, the logical option would be to assume that the player is shooting at the spot that a driver who was physically driving the vehicle would be sitting. the character would be perfectly free to take that shot, and if he rolled well, he would put a bullet right through the spot the driver would be sitting if said driver were physically present in the vehicle. your option would require the GM to throw out both common sense and the rules, since the range of a pistol is somewhat less than the distance between the US and Australia. the longshot rules do not allow for exceeding the range of a weapon.

as for my point, it stands--attempting to shoot at a target you can't see, through vehicle armor or not, is hardly a wacky edge case that should require careful GM consideration.
FrankTrollman
as for my point, it stands--attempting to shoot at a target you can't see, through vehicle armor or not, is hardly a wacky edge case that should require careful GM consideration.

Sure. But it's covered by the "firing through barriers" rules not the "exploiting unarmored areas with called shits" rules. It's not a wacky edge case, and if you use the actual rules for this action it plays out about how you'd expect.

The thing is that Cain, and by extension you because you jumped in on this, keep talking about itin terms of called shots, which is not the relevent rule and does not apply in this case.

You need a gun powerful enough to blast through the armor, and you take a -6 penalty because you can't literally see the target. The target gets bonus damage resistance dice based on the barrier rating you punched through.

And... that's it. All the stuff about taking down APCs with light pistols doesn't happen because there isn't actually a rule that lets you do that. I understand the purpose of hyperbole, but it has gotten tiresome in this case.

-Frank
mfb
Cain's basic complaint, which people keep derailing, is that Edge makes the unimaginably impossible easy. i would add that you don't even need Edge for that in SR4, but that's a whole 'nother argument.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 14 2008, 09:37 AM)
Cain's basic complaint, which people keep derailing, is that Edge makes the unimaginably impossible easy. i would add that you don't even need Edge for that in SR4, but that's a whole 'nother argument.

But none of his examples actually support that conclusion. Edge doesn't help you find an opponent who you can't perceive, and Edge doesn't increase the DV of your weapons allowing them to shoot through thicker walls.

He has had years to work on and refine this argument and the fact that his examples still don't actually show the problem he feels that the rules have speaks to a fairly robust system.

-Frank
Cain
mfb has it essentially correct. People are getting too caught up in the minutae of the example, and missing the forest for the trees. Everyone else seems to be ignoring The Shot Heard Round the Barrens example, which is mechanically more difficult, yet only one person has made a halfhearted complaint about it. I'd think more people would notice the fact that it's easier to shoot down a Citymaster than it is to make an extended-range shot, under essentially the same conditions.

The whole point is, after a certain point (which is easy to get to) you may as well pile on the penalties for extra effect, since they don't affect your chance of success. The called shot is just an easy excuse to put a -20 modifier into the example; the technically-legal armor bypass is just a nifty bonus. As I understand it, mfb's point is that you don't even need to go that far to break the system; someone throwing around 20-30 dice can do that on a regular basis.

EDIT:
He has had years to work on and refine this argument and the fact that his examples still don't actually show the problem he feels that the rules have speaks to a fairly robust system.

The problem has been shown repeatedly. The Longshot test issue is well-known on Dumpshock, and has been the subject of many threads. The same applies to the Called Shot rules, but that's not quite as bad. The Longshot test goes to the heart of the system, the failed attempt to blend cinematic action and realism which shows a massive disconnect between what the devs intended and what they actually delivered.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Whipstitch)

I don't allow my players to fire a gun into the air and spend Edge in the hopes that the bullet will somehow speed up past terminal velocity on the way back down and kill the Oyabun

Actually, bullets fireed into the air do retain enough veloity to be deadly, unless they are fired at a perfect 90 degree angle in relation to the earth.

Such a tactic, while requiring precise measurements of muzzle velocity, wind resistance, and distance, is mathematically possible. It is, after all, the whole point of indirect-fire artillery.
Stahlseele
and here i thought the hollow-point of artillery was the big boom of the explosive charge in the projectile O.o
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
and here i thought the hollow-point of artillery was the big boom of the explosive charge in the projectile O.o

The explosie just means that it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. It'll still kill you if it hits you on the head without exploding.
Jhaiisiin
QUOTE ("Cain")
The called shot is just an easy excuse to put a -20 modifier into the example; the technically-legal armor bypass is just a nifty bonus.

That's just it, though. It's not "technically-legal." You can't aim for a spot unprotected by armor when there isn't one. It's that simple. Stop ignoring reality for your crazy examples.

The example about the longshot with the HMG against the driver of the open-topped boat works as a valid example. The citymaster destruction by a heavy pistol doesn't. Trying to keep pressing the latter is only weakening your arguments.
Cain
You're derailing yourself again. The point is that it's equally easy to make a minus fifty-three roll as it is to make a minus five-hundred-and-three roll. You can pile on the modifiers all you like, getting all kinds of extra effects out of the deal. And this helps break the system.
Jhaiisiin
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. You're right, there's no difference in the difficulty once you pass the Zero-Dice-Pool threshold. At that point, the GM has to exercise his common sense. Just because the rules state that something might be *possible* doesn't mean it should always be allowed. The rules can't cover every possible situation, and that's why there's a GM to moderate things and adapt on the fly. Some thing *should* be 100% impossible. Sometimes you find barriers or problems you just *cannot* solve in a specific way, and thus you must find another way or abandon the problem altogether.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 14 2008, 12:45 PM)
You're derailing yourself again.  The point is that it's equally easy to make a minus fifty-three roll as it is to make a minus five-hundred-and-three roll.  You can pile on the modifiers all you like, getting all kinds of extra effects out of the deal.  And this helps break the system.

But the counter point is: So What?

Yes, a long shot test gives you a tiny to mid size dicepool regardless of how many penalties you are operating under. That's exactly what it does. And despite you harping on this fact for several years, you haven't actually found yourself a perfect actual example of where that would be a problem.

To put things in perspective: since you've been on this exact cusade I graduated from college, went to help clean up hurricane damage, provided hospice care for my ailing grandfather while he wa dying of spinal cancer, recertified my EMT, worked on an ambulance, wrote pieces which were accepted and published in two separate books which got reasonably good reviews, got accepted to medical school and moved to Eastern Europe.

OK? You've had a lot of time to work on this. And still all you've got is some hyperbole about how some horrendous example might come up which would cause this to be a problem at some point in the future. And frankly, I'm sick of it. Several people have expressed that they are sick of it. So seriously: put up or shut up. If you haven't found an actual problematic example by now that will get people to rally to your cause, I'm willing to bet that it's obscure enough that I personally don't even care.

-Frank
Jhaiisiin
Oh, and Cain, you weren't arguing that point. You were arguing how it was possible to shoot someone inside an armored bubble and somehow bypass the armor in the process. You've switched points, and your latest point actually has merit.

Course, I agree with Frank. The 1 in a million shot is an edge roll, and there's not much wrong with that.
knasser
I don't think I can match Frank for passion here, so let me perform the more menial work of cleaning up some loose ends in the aftermath.

QUOTE (Cain)
mfb has it essentially correct.  People are getting too caught up in the minutae of the example, and missing the forest for the trees.

Argument by metaphor is poor argument. The real case is that the argument can only be proved by examples, so pardon us for picking apart the ones you have offered. The CityMaster example is explicitly not allowed by the rules because the rules say exactly: "Calling a shot means that the character is aiming at a vulnerable portion of a target, such as a person’s head, the tires or windows of a vehicle, and so on. The gamemaster decides if such a vulnerable spot is accessible." You keep applying the called shot rule to examples that are deliberately constructed to not be possible in order to try and show that the called shot rules are broken.

The City Master argument is dead.

QUOTE (Cain)
You're derailing yourself again. The point is that it's equally easy to make a minus fifty-three roll as it is to make a minus five-hundred-and-three roll. You can pile on the modifiers all you like, getting all kinds of extra effects out of the deal. And this helps break the system.

But so what? Once you reach a certain level of difficulty, nothing else is going to impair your chances. It honestly doesn't matter if the target is invisible if I'm already blind-folded. Things that are actually impossible remain impossible, you don't look up "Impossible Task" on the difficulty chart and find that it's -30DP and say, fine, I take my shot. Nowhere does it say that you can teleport bullets with "luck."

QUOTE (Cain)
The problem has been shown repeatedly. The Longshot test issue is well-known on Dumpshock, and has been the subject of many threads.

I've been around Dumpshock for quite a long time and what I remember is a lot of threads that ended up in long repetitive arguments when they were derailed into an tirade about the Longshot and Called Shot rules by you. How many times have you done this now, Cain?

QUOTE (Cain)
which shows a massive disconnect between what the devs intended and what they actually delivered.

Massive Disconnect. Horribly Broken. I forget all the rest of the hyperbole you've come out with. Cain, you are the only one who finds Shadowrun 4th to be so extremely wrecked by these two rules.

-K.
pbangarth
As a tangential issue that arises from the acrimonious counter-claims:

What is a GM for, if not to make decisions about what is and is not possible? Why have a GM at all if you devise a rule-set that purportedly eliminates such decisions?

And who in their right mind would want to play a game like that? ("The rule book is HOW MANY pages??") I've played Shadowrun since it first came out, and it has generated far fewer rules questions than just about any other game I've played. That's been just fine for me and all the other players.

Let the GM decide, off the cuff if necessary, and lets get on with the fun.
Kyoto Kid
...pbangarth, thank you. smile.gif

After all isn't that what this is all about? I deal enough with discussion (and arguments at times) on whether this or that is the correct procedure at work in RL. The last thing I want is my leisure time to mimic my time "on the clock".

Yes, there will be times when something doesn't make sense. And yes it needs to be dealt with. However, the GM is the final arbiter and if he or she knows the rules as they stand then making whatever decision is required to get things moving again is in everyone's best interest.

...just my two Zlotys' worth.
knasser
QUOTE (pbangarth)
Let the GM decide, off the cuff if necessary, and lets get on with the fun.

I agree. I've just been avoiding putting the same point myself out of a fear that it would be pounced on as part of the argument of how broken SR4 is, getting a quick "that shouldn't be necessary in a well-designed system" in response. With a polite nod to toturi's different approach to the game, I don't think any of us would ever actually have a problem with these rules in play. I just think that the strongly worded abuse the SR4 system was getting was not at all deserved.

It's wholely academic to our games. It's just not the first time I've seen a thread go spiralling off into a high-pitched bitch-fest when these exact same two examples have been brought up. I reckon I owe it to other GMs to put the counter-case (though Frank was usually a post or two ahead of me. wink.gif

I think, barring any new points, I'm done here.

Happy gaming to all, say I. smile.gif

-Khadim.
mfb
QUOTE (pbangarth)
What is a GM for, if not to make decisions about what is and is not possible? Why have a GM at all if you devise a rule-set that purportedly eliminates such decisions?

this statement is antithetical to me. the whole point of rules is to lay out what is and is not possible; and between those two extremes, how hard any given action is to succeed at. that's that all those numbers are for.

the GM's purpose in the game is to create content for the players to interact with. he's there to play the NPCs, basically. as a player, i very much prefer to, in effect, GM my own numbers. if i want to take a shot, i look at the situation the GM has described (including the mods he's listed), apply whatever mods that derive from my own action (burst fire, take aim, called shot, whatever), and roll. all the GM has to do is review my roll for errors. this gives him more time to do the thing that rules, by their nature, can't do--breathe life into the game.

QUOTE (knasser)
Once you reach a certain level of difficulty, nothing else is going to impair your chances. It honestly doesn't matter if the target is invisible if I'm already blind-folded.

but it does matter. there are degrees of 'impossibility', if for no other reason than the fact that this game frequently deals with superhuman characters. if my target is invisble but i can narrow down his location via my awesome sense of hearing, being blindfolded could make the difference because i wouldn't know to shoot high over the waist-high concrete barrier i think he's behind.
Spike
Purely a tangental point: I recall the 'called Shot' rule had a -4 dice for a +4 power effect, which is the only called shot rule we've ever used at the table.

Isn't 'bypassing armor' strictly an optional rule the GM can use or not use? 'Cause I'm thinking that +4 power isn't going to break the game with Mr. Lucky against a City Master any time soon either.

Eh. My last game died when the Gm got tired of arguing with his wife. Too bad, my bio-adept gunslinger was totally ruling the game by means of underhanded trickery and generally being the smartest player at the table (not hard, most of 'em weren't out of highschool.... there are upsides, surprisingly, to gaming with youngsters....)
Fortune
QUOTE (Spike @ Jan 15 2008, 06:45 AM)
Isn't 'bypassing armor' strictly an optional rule the GM can use or not use?

No. The Called Shot rules have a couple of options ...

QUOTE (SR4 pg. 149)
When a shot is called, either of the following may occur, at the player’s choice and with the gamemaster’s agreement.
- Target an area not protected by armor. The attacking character receives a negative dice pool modifier equal to the target’s armor (better armor is more difficult to bypass). If the attack hits, the target’s armor is ignored for the damage resistance test; the target rolls only Body.
- Target a vital area in order to increase damage. The attacking character can choose to increase the DV of his attack by +1 to +4, but receives an equivalent dice pool modifier to the attack. So a character that opts to increase his attack by the maximum +4 DV suffers a –4 dice pool modifier on the attack.
- Knock something out of the target’s grasp. The attacking character receives a –4 dice pool modifier on the attack. If the modified Damage Value of the attack exceeds the target’s Strength, the target loses his grip on the object. The gamemaster determines whether or not the object is damaged and how far away it is knocked.
- The gamemaster may also allow other specific effects for called shots if he chooses. For example, you could use called shots to knock an opponent over a ledge, shoot out a tire, temporarily blind an opponent, etc.
Jhaiisiin
QUOTE ("mfb")
the whole point of rules is to lay out what is and is not possible; and between those two extremes, how hard any given action is to succeed at. that's that all those numbers are for.

And therein lies a disagreement. Rules are there to provide the basic mechanical framework for a world, and give you what you need to figure out how the world works, but it's the interpretation of those rules that determines the actual flow of the world, and what does and does not work. If a rule specifically states something can or cannot happen, then that's how it is (ignoring house rules atm).

SR4 generally (and specifically in the case of called shots) left it's wording fairly concise. Some people want it to be more verbose to fully state something cannot be done, but that's because they're ignoring the existing wording. Extra words aren't needed to solidify the points already presented unless you have a player who's just trying to weasel every single rule to get the most bang for their buck, so to speak.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin)
SR4 generally (and specifically in the case of called shots) left it's wording fairly concise.  Some people want it to be more verbose to fully state something cannot be done, but that's because they're ignoring the existing wording.  Extra words aren't needed to solidify the points already presented unless you have a player who's just trying to weasel every single rule to get the most bang for their buck, so to speak.

...been there, GM'd that type of situation, and argued the pros & cons here (in another thread).

Are there things in the rules I don't particularly like? Yes. Are there things in the rules that I really like? Yes. Does my group and I housrule some things where we see fit? Yes. Does this mean the game and rules are inherently bad? No, else we would not still be playing it.

...in this respect, I'm with knasser.

The train has gone so far off the topical track it's now sinking in the river and I'm not that good a swimmer. grinbig.gif
Spike
Thank you, Fortune. The key is that the rule specifically states that the GM must approve the call. If the GM doesn't think you should be bypassing Citymaster armor to shoot pilots, by RAW he can say so. Its the rules.
Ravor
Although I can't double check just yet I seem to recall that by RAW a DM can simply throw the entire book away and make whatever calls he/she wants, so that isn't really a rebuttal. (OF course, as long as Edge is kept at what I consider a reasonable level even the longshot rules aren't too hard to handle, although I do make use of my DM Hammer of Doom if the longshot sets off my BS Detector.)
knasser

This is kind of relevant given the discussion is veering into the pros and cons of Edge. I actually have a different approach that I've sometimes mentioned here before, more akin to the old karma pool rules in previous editions.

I've compiled my house rules here and the Edge one is third one down. I actually have a couple of other house rules but I can never remember what they are - obscure things that don't come up often, anyway.

I'll flesh out the Clarifications section so there's actually something in it sometime, if it's of use to anyone.

-K.
Cain
QUOTE (Ravor)
Although I can't double check just yet I seem to recall that by RAW a DM can simply throw the entire book away and make whatever calls he/she wants, so that isn't really a rebuttal. (OF course, as long as Edge is kept at what I consider a reasonable level even the longshot rules aren't too hard to handle, although I do make use of my DM Hammer of Doom if the longshot sets off my BS Detector.)

You've hit the nail smack dab on the head. After which point of changing the rules, are you not playing Shadowrun anymore? If some GM converted the whole damn thing to D20, would he be playing the same game as the rest of us?

One of the problems here is that people aren't differentiating between "common sense" (which ain't that common, folks) and house rules. The basic rules should provide the common sense for you, and minimize or eliminate the need for house rules.

"Common sense" varies from person to person, and genre to genre. Look at my sig; there's one guy who thinks Luke should never have been able to hit a thermal exhaust port; so Star Wars is the wrong genre for him. One of the issues is that SR4 attempted to go for "gritty realism", yet baked a cinematic "impossible shot" roll into the core mechanic.

In a game like Wushu, the Citymaster shot would be a perfectly valid move. That's because that game revels the over-the-top, cinematic action. In a more realistic game like GURPS, such a move would be impossible, unless you're playing under one of the most cinnematic options. In SR4, it's kinda impossible and kinda not. Basically, it's weak and wishy-washy when it comes to delivering both genre conventions and rules to support the same.
Argument by metaphor is poor argument.

Do you really want to get into it over what constitutes a good and bad argument?
But so what? Once you reach a certain level of difficulty, nothing else is going to impair your chances.

Untrue. If the odds of you winning the lottery are millions to one, adding one more number to hit changes your odds considerably. I could get into the statistics of it, but it's probably excessive.
Ravor
I'm a huge fan of house rules, and have a pile of them myself, but you make some really good points. Personally I don't really mind the idea behind longshot tests because once in a while I like the idea of making that one-in-a-million shot against all odds, I just don't like the idea that it is something that your Mr. Lucky can pull off at will, in addition to all of the other crazy stuff that characters with outlandish dicepools can pull off in a Fixed TN universe. (And bear in mind that I happen to like the Fixed TN, Floating TNs was the one aspect that I really hated about Shadowrun, although I can't really explain why, just a matter of taste I guess.)
DTFarstar
I actually think they handled the called shot stuff fairly well, and I've never had a problem with Long Shot tests either. Long shots aren't a big deal unless you have shitty(in my opinion people who try to do things they know don't fit into that type of game are shitty players- if it does fit in your game then that is all well and good and have fun) players or are bothered by hypotheticals. They work fairly well in all situations where someones dice pool is barely reduced to 0 or below. At least for me. Sure, Rule Zero in every game system is and should be "The GM is always right." or something to that effect, but the designers knew that they could not outline all possible ways to use the called shot rules or even all the possible situations in which the few possibilities they listed could be used. So, instead of just leaving it to the original stating of that rule earlier in the book, the called shot rules well... see for yourself.

QUOTE (SR4 pg. 149)
CALLED SHOTS
Characters may “call shots� in an attempt to increase the
damage their weapons will do. Calling a shot means that the
character is aiming at a vulnerable portion of a target, such as a
person’s head, the tires or windows of a vehicle, and so on. The
gamemaster decides if such a vulnerable spot is accessible.

Emphasis mine.

They realized the space limitation they had and instead of devoting a major section of text to what vehicles can be shot at where and what effects it has and the same for armors and such they just said that the GM can decide. I mean, I don't know about you, but speaking as a GM myself I've got no problem with that. I mean, it stands to reason that most cars would still look similar but that military vehicles, especially APCs, would have no windows and one small door. Maybe in your world APCs are made of several layers of plate glass, or have a big target on the driver, cool, whatever. As for the klick out to see shot, I really have no problem with it. I probably wouldn't allow it in my game because as stated before Mr. Lucky has no real way of knowing where the hell his target is. Just a vague form of a boat speeding through the water. Maybe not even that, I forget and don't want to go read it again. But other than the ability to identify where a target is, sure give it a shot. I don't understand why the hell they are shooting Joe Wageslave anyway. I just can't see anything even remotely this extreme ever coming up in game, maybe it does in yours and that bothers you, if so cool, be bothered. I just don't see why it bothers you that much.

Chris
Cain
Sure, Rule Zero in every game system is and should be "The GM is always right."

Now *this* just set me off.

Let me lay this to rest once and for all. THE GM IS NO MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY OTHER PLAYER!!!

That is to say, every player has a role in the game. The GM's role is more intensive, seeing as how he's got more responsibility, but that doesn't mean his idea of fun should come before anyone else's. Everyone's concept of fun is equally important to the success of a game.

I see way too many GM's who think their version of Rule 0 allows them to wield an iron fist in a velvet glove. That is NOT the case. The GM has the responsibility to provide conflicts for the character players to interact with. That's the only difference between his role and that of a character player.

I agree with toturi. Rule 0 is: Have Fun. Not: "Try and wield absolute power beneficiently."
Jhaiisiin
Given that the GM is running the game, and without him, you've got nada, I'd wager he's a *little* more important than any single player. I agree it shouldn't be a totalitarian ruled environment, though. Of course, if it is, then you're likely not having fun, in which case you're likely not playing a game.

As for Start Wars, the thermal exhaust port was a legal vulnerable point that allowed you to funnel a proton torpedo right into the heart of the damned facility. An armored APC is NOT going to have that where you can toss a bullet right into the driver's face without taking the armor into account. Stop being ridiculous.
Glyph
The GM shouldn't wield ultimate power - GM fiat as a substitute for the rules is bad, because it makes the rules meaningless. And the rules are good because they quantify things, letting players make meaningful choices in character creation and battle tactics, and they also add a true random element to the game.

However, a GM should have the ability to quickly resolve rules disputes in order to maintain the flow of the game. And as the person providing content to the other players and acting to facilitate the flow of the game, the GM should have more say in how things are run - approving characters for play, implementing house rules where he/she feels they are needed, and so on. It's a fine line to walk. Some GMs are overbearing bullies, and other GMs let munchkin players walk all over them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012