Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Game level
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
knasser
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 23 2008, 08:28 PM)

The only person whose arguments I deliberately ignored (and which I read) was Frank's, who had become a little too excitable to discuss matters with.  I won't go any further on that topic.

Actually, if you read back through the thread, you'll notice many occasions where my points go unaddressed. Usually where Cain has accused me of a logical fallacy which I then demonstrated that I didn't commit. As Cain earlier said (page 14 for those that doubt):

QUOTE (Cain)
I also note that you left the rules examples totally alone. Silence is assent, you realize.

I'm going to take anything that Cain hasn't addressed as his assent. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cain)
The Shot Heard Round the Barrens has yet to be "surgically" attacked at any point.  Or seriously attacked, for that matter.

If that were true, this thread would be two pages shorter. rotfl.gif

QUOTE (Cain)
The Citymaster argument is now switching over to the Batplane argument, which I think should be very interesting.

Indeed. A more enlightening way of putting it would be to say that Cain is now switching the argument over to the batplane. And I think we all know why. biggrin.gif

My arguments are clearly put and unlike others, I don't feel like resorting to repetition to make people accept them. That leaves me only with pithy comments, I'm afraid. So enjoy! wink.gif

-K.
Cain
Indeed. A more enlightening way of putting it would be to say that Cain is now switching the argument over to the batplane.

I'm actually not responsible for the topic shift. Perfectly ordinary thread drift is doing it. I'll be glad to keep debating the Citymaster if anyone's interested; but I think the Batplane is a more interesting example.
knasser
QUOTE (Cain)
Indeed. A more enlightening way of putting it would be to say that Cain is now switching the argument over to the batplane.

I'm actually not responsible for the topic shift. Perfectly ordinary thread drift is doing it. I'll be glad to keep debating the Citymaster if anyone's interested; but I think the Batplane is a more interesting example.

Um, no. YOU brought up Batman. YOU used it as an example of Edge. YOU responded to my thematic analysis of a scene in Batman which had no mention of anything to do with Shadowrun as somehow (still haven't worked out how) a comment on your Citymaster example and YOU said that the Citymaster example was now becoming the Batplane example.

The fascinating trial of Caine vs. Reality will continue after these messages...

wink.gif
Cain
In order: True, wrong, sort-of, and true. What I haven't done is twisted people's arms into debating the Batplane example, thread drift is doing that.
knasser
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 23 2008, 10:22 PM)
In order: True, wrong, sort-of, and true.  What I haven't done is twisted people's arms into debating the Batplane example, thread drift is doing that.

Oh certainly you're receiving counter-arguments on the subject of the Batplane. But those counter-arguments consist of people saying it's a bad comparison to your Citymaster example. It hasn't reopened the subject of the Called Shot rules.

I think the only thing left open at this point, is the discussion about the role of the gamesmaster.

EDIT: I mean it this time - the thread has reached 21 pages and I must have written volumes. I am absolutely done here. Sorry.
klinktastic
Game Level and citymasters and the batplane? I would call this a landslide, not a drift.
Spike
QUOTE (Cain)

The Shot Heard Round the Barrens has yet to be "surgically" attacked at any point.  Or seriously attacked, for that matter.  The Citymaster argument is now switching over to the Batplane argument, which I think should be very interesting. 

The only person whose arguments I deliberately ignored (and which I read) was Frank's, who had become a little too excitable to discuss matters with.  I won't go any further on that topic.

Not reading someone's posts is not the same as the posts not existing.

However, since you seem so blindly set on ignorance (not to mention changing the subject while under serious attack... I mean, tactical withdrawl...)

Shooting a passenger in a vehicle means that the passenger uses the 'Cover' rules, thus shooting them requires that you bypass cover, not armor. This requires penetrating a barrier, which you can not simply handwave away by declaring the barrier a 'penalty' due to 'called shots'.

This of course particularly matters if the barrier is 'total cover', or whatever the technical term is, as any sensible person would agree a completely enclosed armored vehicle IS. Now, this may be an 'appeal to common sense', and thus a logical fallacy, but as has been pointed out earlier (by Knasser I believe) simply calling my argument fallacious does not, in fact render it without value, as demonstrated by the 2+2=5 example earlier in the thread.

Undoubtedly you have chosen to not read those posts either, but since you haven't felt the need to declare such, I must simply guess.

Frank did it better, but I'm too lazy to go copy the relevant portions of his posts, and you'd just 'not read them' anyway because it's Frank.

Ryu
QUOTE (Cain)

Actually: You have continually failed to address the surgical destruction of your examples at any point.  I could quote you stating you weren't even attempting to read posts that demolished your examples as flawed.

The Shot Heard Round the Barrens has yet to be "surgically" attacked at any point. Or seriously attacked, for that matter. The Citymaster argument is now switching over to the Batplane argument, which I think should be very interesting.

The only person whose arguments I deliberately ignored (and which I read) was Frank's, who had become a little too excitable to discuss matters with. I won't go any further on that topic.

No. You pretty much ignored what I have written, and voluntarily misinterpreted some. Knasser demonstrated that you make "facts" up, as did I.

Most of the things you write are valid only as your opinion or your perception, but logically they are a failure. Longshot tests do not care for the size of the negative dicepool, that is simply true. No example needed.

Yet you manage to heat tempers up by choosing offensive wording ("horribly broken") and out-there examples (The citymaster). If that is not intentional, you need to learn from Franks posts that not all arguments need to be logical in nature. Your problem with the way the rules work is emotional, and your examples will only appeal to common sense, once they work.

In order to avoid angering a mod, this shall be my last post in this thread.
toturi
QUOTE (klinktastic)
Game Level and citymasters and the batplane? I would call this a landslide, not a drift.

Perhaps drift was meant on the scale of continental drift?
Redjack
This thread has long since past any usefulness to anyone and is on a collision course with a flame war, which in turn would fuel more member vacations.

That said, I will make THE last post in this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012