Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
DTFarstar
*sniff* But it was so funny!

Chris
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Frank is taking a couple weeks off ...

Ouch! Harsh! eek.gif

Maybe a small part of those next two weeks will be downtime for everyone as the software (or whatever) is changed (or whatever).
D Minor
I agree with fortune that seems a bit harsh. But then I'm not a mod smile.gif
Jhaiisiin
I agree with Fortune that the time off is a good time to do the forum update. ork.gif
I kid! Please don't hit me!
Ryu
A couple of weeks? Is that the usual period? I assume Frank was warned in private.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
This may seem a little late in coming, but Frank is taking a couple weeks off

pity, i like his style . . but then, i am more or less prone to similar behaviour as seen in the thread about marriage for example *g*
Redjack
QUOTE (Ryu)
A couple of weeks? Is that the usual period? I assume Frank was warned in private.

Please realize that a multi-week suspension is not given for a first offense.
Fortune
I wasn't implying that it wasn't necessarily warranted (ain't my problem! biggrin.gif). Just making a comment about the length, as it surprised me for a moment.
Ryu
QUOTE (Redjack)
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 21 2008, 05:27 PM)

Please realize that a multi-week suspension is not given for a first offense.

I do not know the usual customs, I was merely surprised at the length.
DTFarstar
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Personally I've been banned and/or black listed from many sites and mailing lists. Because I am a raging and uncompromising asshole.

I was banned from the L5R rules discussion lists because I pointed out a flaw in the rules and proposed a fix (which was ultimately adopted).

I was banned from WotC's D&D board because people had begun quoting me back and forth with Skip Williams in arguments about how rules interacted.

I left the Nifty Boards and vowed never to return because one of the mods was a neo-Nazi and after a very large flame war where we both broke just about every rule the site ever had the mods agreed to... not do anything to either of us. So I told them that they should probably enforce their own rules and left.

I got warned on ENWorld because I said that Gygax was a plagarist and poor model to base gaming upon.

And I've gotten temporary bans here oh... a couple of times. Mostly for being a dick.

-Frank

Just in case anyone has forgotten the "Bad Bad Boy" thread over in the Dumpshock News, Bugs Reports, etc. So we know this is not a first offense for our favorite boy Frank. I will miss him though, he makes me laugh quite a bit, partly because his insults are funny and partly because of how worked up he seems to get about these things. I just can't understand caring that much, but I'm glad he does.

Chris
fistandantilus4.0
Ryu, so that you're aware of the process/procedure, two weeks is not the standard time for a Suspension. We generally try to avoid discussing the affects of moderation, as we don't think it's polite to air dirty laundry so to speak. In this case, we concluded that this should be known firstly because of Frank's active discussion in this thread. Secondly, because this isn't the first, or third time Frank has been given a time off break.

We've talked about personal attacks in the past, and a lot of the time, we try and give lots of leeway. Frank does come off harshly, and he as well as others have been given more ground in the past than may be strictly allowed by the rules. This was pretty blatant. So he has a longer suspension this time around because this is a very repeat issue.

Usually if it's your first break, it's only a couple of days, and it gets longer from there as things progress, if they do. In general, we also give PM warnings when someone does something they shouldn't. Those we also don't advertise for the same reasons. In this case, Frank has had more than enough PM warnings to know what is and isn't acceptable.

We now return you to your normally scheduled thread rants.smile.gif Thank you, come again.
Cardul
QUOTE (Cain)

I did bring up the Magic Bullet theory. Stranger things have happened. If you want a cinematic example, watch the original Batman movie.

Original Batman movie? You mean the one where Batman pulled a full sized Acetiline torch(1920's to 30's era) from his utility belt? Or the one with the exploding shark?
Glyph
Not the real original, with Adam West. The other one, with Mr. Mom playing Batman. wink.gif
Cain

You're intentionally ignoring and discounting any intelligent discourse coming from Frank.

Yes, I am. When someone gets as heated as Frank has gotten, there is nowhere else to go except for hurt feelings. I am not going to go there. I rrespect the guy more than that. So, for my own sake, I'm going to put on my flameproof undies and not dig through his ranting for useful arguments. extinguish.gif

[Edit] I didn't see the outcome until after I posted. I feel very bad for my part in this.

Feedback is welcome and even sometimes employed in our games, however we've all been of the opinion it's best to let the game play out WITHOUT the players knowing what's happening ahead of time, or basically turning the game one way or the other by changing NPC's or what-have-you. You get more genuine reactions and situations when the players are broadsided by that plot twist they never saw coming. Not knowing where the story is going keeps our players interested, intrigued and on their toes. They're constantly guessing at what the GM might have planned, and make their plans for it. The GM, on the other hand, sometimes doesn't have a clue what's coming next, but lets the story unfold however it will, allowing the player's assumptions to generate the next line in the plot. It's a surprisingly effective way of running the game, but requires a GM who can think up entire scenarios on the fly as the game changes course.

You don't need to know what's happening in advance. Instead, you have even more input into the story than ever before. To go to the Wushu extreme, you're literally dictating events as they unfold, and the GM-- which, you say, yours already do-- runs with it. It's the same thing you say you have, only taken to the next level.

Which leaves my point completely unaddressed. Mr. Lucky is doing what Mr. Lucky is designed to do and allowed to do by the rules - he is lucky. He has invested a huge number of points in being lucky.

Actually, mfb's example-- which I didn't make very clear, I admit-- involves a normal sam with 17-20 dice in an appropriate weapons skill and maybe an Edge of 3. He can make the shot just as readily.
I have always loved that scene. It makes no sense that the Joker should be able to shoot down the Batplane. It's also inexplicable how he just stands there holding out his arms in mock invitation to the missiles that explode harmlessly around him. But it makes perfect sense thematically and that's what I love - the deliberate pitting of logic vs. theme and the victory of theme. At that moment, the audience understands intuitively that we have entered a different state and it sets things up perfectly for the final showdown in the church tower.

Which kind-of is my point. Thematically, the shot fits the movie and is an excellent plot setup. However, judging by the responses in this thread, the Citymaster doesn't fit thematically. However, since the rules allow and encourage this sort of thing, we have the thematic disconnect I was discussing earlier.
Fuchs
All I got, after pages and pages, is that Cain basically ignores the rules that say that the GM has to decide if there's a vulnerable spot on an APC.

The general long shot odds seem to be handled perfectly well by the rest already - if people do not want a character such as Mr. Lucky with 8 edge, and therefore legendary luck, in their campaign they can always ban them.

I really don't see the problem. There seems to be some issue with GM power, which makes it a personal issue, and not a rules issue.

So, while it is a matter of preference whether the GM makes such calls, or a designated rules lawyer, or group consensus prevails, the fact seems to be that the rules are flexible enough to handle all the supposed problems to the satisfaction of the specific group and their theme. I'd not call this "encouraging such shots", I call this "flexible enough for multiple, different playstyles". Which is a good thing, in my opinion.
Cardul
QUOTE (Cain)
I have always loved that scene. It makes no sense that the Joker should be able to shoot down the Batplane. It's also inexplicable how he just stands there holding out his arms in mock invitation to the missiles that explode harmlessly around him. But it makes perfect sense thematically and that's what I love - the deliberate pitting of logic vs. theme and the victory of theme. At that moment, the audience understands intuitively that we have entered a different state and it sets things up perfectly for the final showdown in the church tower.

Which kind-of is my point. Thematically, the shot fits the movie and is an excellent plot setup. However, judging by the responses in this thread, the Citymaster doesn't fit thematically. However, since the rules allow and encourage this sort of thing, we have the thematic disconnect I was discussing earlier.

I think the difference between the two is this:

Aircraft are fragile, especially modern aircraft. The Bat-plane was probably made of ultra-light weight materials and things like carbon fiber. Now, taking down a ww2 or even Koreans, or, heck, even Vietnam era fighter with a pistol would be laughed at, because, well, those had actual ARMOUR. The Bat-plane most likely was more like a modern stealth aircraft made of carbon fiber frame. That makes it kind of fragile. Sure, it might be able to bounce a bird off it..but what I have trouble believing is that he could have survived the crash(Edge to Survive Certain Death!). Now, the Joker also used Edge to survive certain Death(how ELSE can a gatling gun and all those missles and rockets have missed?)

However, you take a look at the Citymaster, which is more a light tank that carries people then an APC, and you have a difference. You have thick slabs of armour over most of the thing. This armour most likely has points where it seals up, like on a modern tank. Did you know: the Abrams has a periscope for the driver?He does not really look out the vehicle, but looks at this little screen on his console, and he is behind the thick front slope of armour. With many of the newer APCs, this is also the case. And, considering that a modern APC can take anything short of a missle or explosive device, and the crew and passengers don't get killed...I figure that it is much the same with the Citymaster or any other light armoured vehicle that was actually built as an light armoured vehicle.

Now, you want to talk about the Eurovan with armour plates welded to it...that is a horse of a different colour....
Fortune
Just as an aside, in all the time I have been playing and running Shadowrun, I have always envisioned the Citymaster (and Mobmaster) as being basically a heavily modified and armored Winnebago.
Ryu
I´ll try to avoid personal experience with the process biggrin.gif , but it seems to be fair.

Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin)

You're intentionally ignoring and discounting any intelligent discourse coming from Frank. He, along with many others in this thread have cited the page numbers and rules debunking your Citymaster example, and you still insist it's a perfectly legal example.

OK, then allow me to provide a more reasonable example. Admittedly mine uses up 2 points of edge.

SR team is driving away from job.
Lone Star is chasing in citymaster.
Mr Lucky opens up a small firing port on the riggers whip to use his Mossberg CMDT on the target. SPending precious seconds to aim for the nastiest shot he can get.

now I am using
Cain's Mr Lucky Build with these changes
1: Pistols (semi auto) is Longarms(shotguns)
2: equipped with a couple of shotguns (AM-CMDT is the important one right now)
3: got contact lenses with image magnification, and thermo
4: got GV3 shock pad and gyro for the shotgun

ok this shot starts out with out hero taking 2 aim actions and firing
assuming long range fore the shotgun
full burst (compensated for)
moving vehicle -2 (the third point by what is left of the gyro)
range, compensated for by the image mag
light rain, compensated for by the thermo
called shot -4, +4 to damage
aim +1
now the roll looks like this 22-2-4+1 = 17 dice to roll
now edge can be used for rerolls or for enhanced roll
if you use it for enhanced rolls you get 10 successes on average
if you use it for rerolls you get 9.35 successes on average
going for enhanced rolls
Now the notable part of Cain's example of the citymaster is the extreme difficulty of the citymaster noticing the shot until after the first burst, so defense is inapplicable at this time (if necesary use edge to ensure it nyahnyah.gif )
so 10 net successes.
this brings the base damage up to 23, and the armor of the citymaster to 22
so this blast of deer shot, soft lead pellets, has just penetrated.
but how much damage does it do?
average rolls time again. 16 body + 22 armor is 38 total dice to resist
this gives an average of 13 successes
bringing it down to 18 damage
whoops the citymaster only has 16 damage boxes
Ryu
Notice the FAQ, flechette is AP+5 now. So STATISTICALLY you do not penetrate even with edge. (No gasvent on a shotgun either, but that only reduces your still significant chance of a hit).

Emotional response: You destroy a car with a combat shotgun on full auto. No problem.
Synner
Kremlin, I'm assuming you don't know the flechette modifiers were errataed right?

The modified DV against armor doesn't include autofire, so the modified DV for the CMBT is a baseline 9P(f) + Edge-enhanced 10 successes + 4 DV for a Called Shot (assuming GM approves you can see a vulnerable point on the APC)= your 23, but the Citymaster's Armor is also modified by +5 (due to flechette) to 25. Which means that your Edge-enhanced full auto shotgun burst from the CMBT won't even penetrate, and would require at least 3 more successes to do so - feasible with some luck and those Edge rerolls but unlikely.
Ryu
It should be 14 dice+edge (assuming you get permission on shock pad + gyro).

With the errata (sorry, not the FAQ) there is an effective armor of 25 on the Citymaster.

Base Value of 9
+4 for Called shot (this is not excluded from counting against hardened armor IIRC)
12 to go.

According to Feshy´s dice roller, that has a probability of 23.6%. At edge 8, used for an enhanced roll.

Jhaiisiin
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
this brings the base damage up to 23, and the armor of the citymaster to 22
so this blast of deer shot, soft lead pellets, has just penetrated.
but how much damage does it do?
average rolls time again. 16 body + 22 armor is 38 total dice to resist
this gives an average of 13 successes
bringing it down to 18 damage

Wait a sec. Base damage = 23, minus 13 successes... that's 10 damage, not 18. Where'd you get 18 from?
Synner
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Jan 22 2008, 08:08 PM)
Wait a sec. Base damage = 23, minus 13 successes... that's 10 damage, not 18.  Where'd you get 18 from?

23 is not the base damage value, it is the modified DV to compare with armor (9 +10 successes +4 Called shot bonus). I'm assuming he then factors in either a narrow full auto burst (+9 to DV , -9 modification [apparently compensated] to his shot) to calculate a DV of 32 for Damage Resistance purposes. The Citymaster would then have rolled Body 16 + Armor 22 (in Kremlin's example) = 38 dice.
Jhaiisiin
So basically Kremlin misspoke then, got it. (Course, 13 successes still doesn't = 18 remaining... 32-18 = 19... Either way, the math don't work)
Synner
32-13 = 19... but yeah, he miscalculated (besides not using the errated flechette modifiers).
Cain
Aircraft are fragile, especially modern aircraft. The Bat-plane was probably made of ultra-light weight materials and things like carbon fiber.

Somebody check me on this, but I recall the Batplane bouncing a few shots previous to this. Ordinary pistol fire, maybe, but still...

As far as the Citymaster goes, let's try it again with one substitution. Mr. Lucky was armed with an Anti-vehicular rocket launcher or a Panther XXL. Now, all of a sudden, he stands a chance of hitting a spot vulnerable enough to target the driver.

For the GM stuff, I'll just point out that most GM's say they follow some of the ideals I posted. All I'm suggesting is that GMs should take it to the next level. Many others already have.
Whipstitch
Considering that many anti-tank weapons (HEP/HESH in particular) operate on the principle of penetrating the armor and killing the crew through spalling rather than utterly destroying the armor and frame, feel free to consider me ambivalent. In the case of the panther cannon the fact that the vehicle in question will escape unharmed is a bit worrying, but in the case of the rocket you're still catching the vehicle in the radius.
Stahlseele
did anybody take into consideration that jokers "handgun" barely qualified as a usual pistol? that thing had more of a rifle than anything else . .
Cthulhudreams
Well, an anti vehicle weapon should certainly be capable of killing a citymaster - and I'm pretty sure they can both penetrate the armour, thus as outlined

Well, logically the Damage and Passengers rules also state that the target always get Partial, Good, or Blindfire Cover. And the Blindfire rules go to page 157 where it tells us that a weapon of insufficient size automatically fails. So if the vehicle is fully enclosed (like the citymaster), you need an anti-vehicle weapon to punch through. Your one-shot example fails.

So you can punch through. Tada.

Which is really the way it should work. Fab.
Cain
The problem, once again, is that the rocket launcher shot is actually more difficult than the flechette pistol, mechanically speaking. He doesn't even have a Heavy Weapons skill, so the total penalties go to -53. If you had a problem with the pistol shot, you should really have more of a problem with a rocket launcher.
Dashifen
Unless, of course, the gauge by which he determines whether or not he "has a problem" with a given example is not, as yours seems to be, the total amount of negative modifiers on a specific task for which someone is going to perform a Long Shot test.

I know that in my games I would probably not allow someone with a pistol to penetrate a Citymaster while I would allow someone with an anti-vehicular weapon to try the shot regardless of whether or not the latter has a greater penalty than the former. Why? Because I perceive that an anti-vehicular weapon is appropriate to the task at hand while a pistol is not.

Now, if that same pistol were firing APDS rounds, I might allow it once more because the character shooting the pistols is now armed with a weapon that can, in some way, be considered remotely possible of penetrating powerful armors, that being the point of APDS rounds.

Thus, my games are open to a lot of interpretation, by me, by the players, and by group consensus. It all depends on the situation that a person finds themselves within at a given time.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Cain)
The problem, once again, is that the rocket launcher shot is actually more difficult than the flechette pistol, mechanically speaking. He doesn't even have a Heavy Weapons skill, so the total penalties go to -53. If you had a problem with the pistol shot, you should really have more of a problem with a rocket launcher.

I don't care about total number of negative modifers. I care that the weapon is capable of penetrating the armour as is required by the blindfire rules as outlined

The Damage and Passengers rules also state that the target always get Partial, Good, or Blindfire Cover. And the Blindfire rules go to page 157 where it tells us that a weapon of insufficient size automatically fails. So if the vehicle is fully enclosed (like the citymaster), you need an anti-vehicle weapon to punch through.

An anti-vehicle rocket is of sufficient size to blindfire through the armour of the vehicle in question, and thus I have no issue with a lucky guy picking up an anti tank gun of some description, pointing at a tank and taking it out.

Given this requirement, it is significantly less difficult for the anti vehicle rocket to take out a vehicle, because it can, whereas a pistol automatically fails, ninjas or no.
Jhaiisiin
Cain, the A/V rocket doesn't suddenly ignore armor, nor does it necessarily increase your ability to find a vulnerable spot. It just has a higher chance of hitting the vulnerable areas because... it's a high explosive projectile designed specifically to take out armored vehicles. It's just a smidge different than flechete rounds.
Ryu
Longshot tests do not care for modifiers. That is a problem if players insist on doing things by edge which they could never manage according to common sense.

Cite Calvin: "I´ve got loads of common sense, I just choose to ignore it".

Most of us have sensible players, and most of us who GM have certain rights. The unlucky few who fall in neither category will eventually have a problem, everyone else won´t.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 23 2008, 03:16 AM)
Notice the FAQ, flechette is AP+5 now. So STATISTICALLY you do not penetrate even with edge. (No gasvent on a shotgun either, but that only reduces your still significant chance of a hit).

Emotional response: You destroy a car with a combat shotgun on full auto. No problem.

hmm, interesting erratas... will have to run some playtest on those... the nerfing of special ammo alters several things.

as to the emotive response.. not if you are using deershot or birdshot, if you are using slugs then sure, oh yeah, remember the damn thing is a tank!

even an LMG should not do significant damage to a tank with regular ammo.
yet using the numbers above a white knight with a gyro will more than pulverize the target with soft lead rounds. (ok the skill is automatics now, but that makes it even better as his backup weapon is now a light smg.. he just specializes in the big one)
Cain
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 22 2008, 06:05 PM)
Longshot tests do not care for modifiers. That is a problem if players insist on doing things by edge which they could never manage according to common sense.

Cite Calvin: "I´ve got loads of common sense, I just choose to ignore it".

Most of us have sensible players, and most of us who GM have certain rights. The unlucky few who fall in neither category will eventually have a problem, everyone else won´t.

I know I promised I wouldn't do this now that Knasser's left, but this is another logical fallacy, an Appeal to Common Sense. Basically, what constitutes "common sense" is not one universal monolithic thing. It changes from situation to situation. I could pose a slightly-altered question, and "common sense" would dictate a different answer. (And I did, in the form of the Shot Heard Round the Barrens.) Any system that demands "common sense" in the place of objectivity and fairness is not a good system, is in fact a broken system, and becomes an instant candidate for "Horribly broken".

Onto a slightly different topic: mechanically and objectively, the more difficult something is to do in game, the higher the penalty should be on it. This shows the priorities and theme of a game. For example, in a fantasy world, build a fully-automatic gun is much more difficult than blacksmithing a suit of armor. In a modern game, the reverse might be true. SR4 allows cinematic actions to be easier than realistic ones, which should mean it's a cinematic game. Except, of course, it demands the Appeal to Common Sense fallacy, and tries to impose realism onto the Citymaster shot. So, we have a thematic disconnect which also interrupts the suspension-of-disbelief required for any RPG to succeed.

As far as GM rights go, that I haven't argued. I've simply pointed out that those rights are no greater than that of any other player. Which, the best counterargument is: "But I don't do it that way!". Actually, as demonstrated, you *do*, if you're any good as a GM; it's just a matter of level.
Ryu
QUOTE (Cain)
I know I promised I wouldn't do this now that Knasser's left, but this is another logical fallacy, an Appeal to Common Sense. Basically, what constitutes "common sense" is not one universal monolithic thing. It changes from situation to situation. I could pose a slightly-altered question, and "common sense" would dictate a different answer. (And I did, in the form of the Shot Heard Round the Barrens.) Any system that demands "common sense" in the place of objectivity and fairness is not a good system, is in fact a broken system, and becomes an instant candidate for "Horribly broken".

Onto a slightly different topic: mechanically and objectively, the more difficult something is to do in game, the higher the penalty should be on it. This shows the priorities and theme of a game. For example, in a fantasy world, build a fully-automatic gun is much more difficult than blacksmithing a suit of armor. In a modern game, the reverse might be true. SR4 allows cinematic actions to be easier than realistic ones, which should mean it's a cinematic game. Except, of course, it demands the Appeal to Common Sense fallacy, and tries to impose realism onto the Citymaster shot. So, we have a thematic disconnect which also interrupts the suspension-of-disbelief required for any RPG to succeed.

As far as GM rights go, that I haven't argued. I've simply pointed out that those rights are no greater than that of any other player. Which, the best counterargument is: "But I don't do it that way!". Actually, as demonstrated, you *do*, if you're any good as a GM; it's just a matter of level.

An appeal to common sense is a logical fallacy because "common sense" is pretty undefined. Or, to make the statement relevant, disputes based on differences in perception are quite possible as long as common sense is needed.

Larger parts of your argument are a fallacy because they deal with your expectations of the game. The divide between cinematic and simulationist is as unclear as it gets, at least within the abstraction level of useable RPG rules. "Horribly broken" has no place in a logical argument, either. As your opinion, it gets to be valid.

The GM quality issue is also not logical in nature, but a question of individual perception. Again, your perception is valid.

Now people do not like to have something attacked because of "faulty logic", especially in matters of valid personal perception. In such a case you do not reduce their aggression by ignoring their counter arguments. (I like my opinion pretty much, it is close to flame bait for me. But common sense prevails biggrin.gif ).

If you condense your points to
- longshot tests should be limited somehow, or forbidden
- hardened armor needs a rework
you´ll get less flak for statements that do not strenghten your position. Our game has no longshot tests, and hardened armor will get a houserule soon.

(@Kremlin: That thing is an APC, not a real tank. And you need luck and a large weapon to take it down)
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Ryu)

(@Kremlin: That thing is an APC, not a real tank. And you need luck and a large weapon to take it down)

True, but I was examining the artwork for it, it would be classed as a heavy APC in modern terms, only slightly below an IFV.

so my reference about LMGs stands, the bradley IFV is an APC with a light turret attached. The Bradley can slowly drive into a hailfire of .50 nBMG rounds, so 7.62 will do nothing.

Yet Lucky can reliably take one out with a 7.62mm LMG
Ryu
Are you aware of the approach lunchbox´s group has taken? See the Immunity to normal weapons thread, first page. They implement hardened armor using half rating as automatic successes on the DR test.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ryu)
They implement hardened armor using half rating as automatic successes on the DR test.

And rolling the other half of the rating, adding the hits.
Ryu
Aye. Not-so-minor omission on my part.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Cardul)
I think the difference between the two is this:

Aircraft are fragile, especially modern aircraft. The Bat-plane was probably made of ultra-light weight materials and things like carbon fiber. Now, taking down a ww2 or even Koreans, or, heck, even Vietnam era fighter with a pistol would be laughed at, because, well, those had actual ARMOUR. The Bat-plane most likely was more like a modern stealth aircraft made of carbon fiber frame. That makes it kind of fragile.

WW2, Korean War, and Veitnam era crat were made of aluminium, just like most modern craft. They weren't equipped to stop weapons fire. This is why bomber crews were issued flack jackets in the first place, because it was almost guaranteed with shrapnel would pierce the craft. But, such shrapnel was far more likely to kill the crew than it was to disable the bomber.

But the thing about those sorts of aircraft is that they aren't very fragile. Sure, you can put holes in them very easily, but they can also easily fly with holes in them. NATO countries stopped equipping aircraft with .50 machine guns for just that reason. A .50 machine gun can swiss cheese a fighter, but the holes maynot be big enough to take it down. In order to take down a robust aircraft with a machine gun, you either need to be very accurate, very lucky, or make very large holes relative to the size of the target aircraft.
Cain

An appeal to common sense is a logical fallacy because "common sense" is pretty undefined. Or, to make the statement relevant, disputes based on differences in perception are quite possible as long as common sense is needed.

I don't understand your point. At any event, people are trying to invalidate the objective examples I present with an appeal to common sense, as if common sense were some all-seeing, all-knowing, logically consistent font of wisdom. It's not. Common sense is what sounds sensible at the time, which does not equal what's logically correct or what's right.

As for the rest: I'm slowly bringing people around to admitting that the rules are broken. The new counterargument seems to be: "But it's not broken that badly!", not enough to even qualify as broken in some people's book. Which is fine: Once I'm done convincing people that there is a problem, I can show people the degree to which is is broken.
Spike
QUOTE (Cain)

As for the rest: I'm slowly bringing people around to admitting that the rules are broken. The new counterargument seems to be: "But it's not broken that badly!", not enough to even qualify as broken in some people's book. Which is fine: Once I'm done convincing people that there is a problem, I can show people the degree to which is is broken.

Actually: You have continually failed to address the surgical destruction of your examples at any point. In fact, if I were so inclined, I could quote you stating you weren't even attempting to read posts that demolished your examples as flawed.

I'm certain there is a logically fallacy of 'ignoring evidence to the contrary' but I really don't care enough to decend to the level, as you have, of simply waving away everyone else by insisting their arguments are irrelevant.

Before this thread I was inclined to think there was something wrong on the margins of Shadowrun re: Mr. Lucky killing a citymaster.

After this thread I am inclined to think you are here with an agenda and just about anything you say should be examined in detail rather than simply accepted at face value.

In other words: You are not bringing me around, quite the opposite.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
In order to take down a robust aircraft with a machine gun, you either need to be very accurate, very lucky, or make very large holes relative to the size of the target aircraft.

Emphasis mine.
I'm not disagreeing or anything, I just thought I'd highlight that bit, given the context of Mr. Lucky and all. Carry on.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
WW2, Korean War, and Vietnam era craft were made of aluminum, just like most modern craft. They weren't equipped to stop weapons fire. This is why bomber crews were issued flack jackets in the first place, because it was almost guaranteed with shrapnel would pierce the craft. But, such shrapnel was far more likely to kill the crew than it was to disable the bomber.

But the thing about those sorts of aircraft is that they aren't very fragile. Sure, you can put holes in them very easily, but they can also easily fly with holes in them. NATO countries stopped equipping aircraft with .50 machine guns for just that reason. A .50 machine gun can swiss cheese a fighter, but the holes maynot be big enough to take it down. In order to take down a robust aircraft with a machine gun, you either need to be very accurate, very lucky, or make very large holes relative to the size of the target aircraft.

...then there's the A-10 Warthog, ugly as sin, but pretty much a flying tank. I've stated an updated version (the Super Warthog) out for 3rd ed.

As to RL SOTA aircraft, most are made (at least the civilian ones) with a fair amount of composite materials to save weight and increase fuel efficiency. The last really "rugged" jet transport was the Boeing C-135/B-707 series which was built to military specs. There have been documented cases of these planes surviving some incredible situations and still making it back to the airport/airbase.

Also the only deliberate barrel roll done (in public view at least) with a large airliner was by "Tex" Johnson with the 707 -80 at the Seattle Seafair races back in '55. That single manoeuvre nearly got him sacked until Boeing started receiving inquiries from airlines interested in ordering.

rolling a 707

...old film but still pretty impressive, like to see someone try that with an Airbus...

[/derail]
Cain

Actually: You have continually failed to address the surgical destruction of your examples at any point.  I could quote you stating you weren't even attempting to read posts that demolished your examples as flawed.

The Shot Heard Round the Barrens has yet to be "surgically" attacked at any point. Or seriously attacked, for that matter. The Citymaster argument is now switching over to the Batplane argument, which I think should be very interesting.

The only person whose arguments I deliberately ignored (and which I read) was Frank's, who had become a little too excitable to discuss matters with. I won't go any further on that topic.
Jhaiisiin
The citymaster and the Batplane have NOTHING IN COMMON. The Citymaster is a wheeled ground armored vehcile, whereas the Batplane is a lightly armored flying vehicle. Batman is protected by nothing more than bullet-proof glass in the Batplane, the driver of the Citymaster is behind solid armor plating. Stop drawing silly comparisons.

As to your shot heard round the barrens, we've already conceded that the shot is possible with luck, and presented counterarguments to your example where only the PC had edge to use. You've ignored that, so how can we hope to debate with you when you won't even look at, let alone recognize the other side of the argument?
Ravor
Although I only vaguely remember the movie (Hells, the only Batman movie that I can truely say that I liked is 'Batman Begins'.) as I remember it Joker pulled out a pistol that was almost as long as he was and shot down the batplane in a single shot.

Yeah, I think I'm going to agree with Cain on this one, that shot as I remember it isn't anymore feasible then allowing Mr Lucky to take down a citymaster. (I wouldn't allow either in my games.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012