Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best 1 essence worth of cyber for a mage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
WeaverMount
OK so here's the premise: You have no restrictions on nuyen, availability, time, or grade. What is the most bang you can get out of less than 1 point of essence for a mage. Let's not argue about whether or not a mage should or not.
I'm playing a possession tradition right now that has migrated towards looking more like a gun adept with spirits and weird tricks than a spell caster. That's what lead me to write up this wish list

**.9875 Essence**
Cyberware 1.4 --Delta Grade--> .7
.6 Skillwire (rating 3)
.3 Cyber Eyes (rating 2)
.25 Cyber Hand Right
.25 Cyber Hand Left
Bioware 1.15 --Delta Grade--> .575 --Cyber/Bio Discount--> .2875
.2 Trauma Damper
.2 Platelet Factiry
.15 Sleep regulator
.6 Ceribral Enhancement (rating 3)

[8] Cyber Eyes (rating 2)
[1] Eyes Flare Comp
[2] Thermographic
[3] Enhancement (rating 3)
[2] Vision mag

[8] Cyber Hand -Right (Bulk Mod + 4)
[3] Agility Mod (rating 3)
[3] Body Mod (rating 3)
[0] Auto-Injecter: Deep Weed
Extra Dose Capacity (rating 6)
*2x Stimulant (rating 6) (Less pain)
*2x BetaMeth (+2 reaction, +1 intuition)
*2x Pych (+1 logic, +1 willpower)
[2] Nanohive (rating 6)
Implant Medics
Universal Nanidotes
Universal Nanite Hunters
Nano Bio-Monitor
Neural Amplifier - Limbic
Neural Amplifier - NeoCortical

[8] Cyber Hand -Left (Bulk Mod + 4)
[2] Radar Rating (rating 4)
[6] Armor (rating 3)

The Bioware seems fairly no brainer under this premise. While I'm not sure that I would give up a point of magic for cyber-eyes, I will totally make room for them them if I've opened that can of worms. So that leaves us with the skill wires and the cyber hands. Admittedly, I wrote this list with for a mage that spits as much lead as spells. I would get a lot of millage out of the having and occasionally redlining that hand. Like wise the skillwires and a possessing spirit put me in the 11+ range for mundane physical skill checks that no mage is ever going to spend karma on. Not to mention letting me rock all over non-stressful technical skills.

So. anything seemingly pointless or odd? Anything obviously missing? Any better ideas than the skill wires and the the cyber hands for a gun bunny mage. What would would you replace them with for a more "traditional" mage?
KCKitsune
I'm thinking the following Delta grade stuff (for a gun bunny mage):

Cyber: Commlink (for talking with your buddies and not setting off the mystic defenses), Cybereyes w. Thermo, Flair Comp, Vision Mag, Smartlink; Cyberears w. Increased Sensitivity, Damper, & Spatial Reconizer

Bioware: Synaptic Booster level 2 (Zoom Zoom biggrin.gif), and Pain Editor (for any overcasting that you might do)
WeaverMount
Speaking completely from an optimization stance, I'm not big on the cyber ears, synaptic boosters, or pain editor. You can get all that funtionality without loosing essence(ear buds + drones, Improved Reflexes spell, and Stimulates). I hear where you're going with the pain editor. It is a little better than stims, but it doesn't stack with platelet factor/Trauma Dampener combo... which makes over casting very viable. Especially if you have 2 extra boxes of P from limbs and 3+ from spirits.
Abbandon
Delta Grade Fake wussiness 1.0 essense 0 nuyen.

I hate awakened characters who turn to technology to do stuff. Why dont you just learn some stupid spells to let you see in the dark, how about go astral so you dont even give a crap about the dark. Not only that but its to the point of being ultra popular. Oh look another mage with cyber eyes.

your mentors spirits would be so pissed off. I'd be forced to inflict penalties. Half off your mentor powers, double the penalties, higher threshold or whatever to reach the metaplanes to get past the dweller, -1 or 2 to learning spells from a mentor spirit or something? I'd take great pleasure in blowing out the cybernetics frequently because of drain or being hit by magic.

Bio-mods I would be more friendly towards.

Its like hiring a guy to cut your bushes and then he hires somebody even cheaper and has them cut them and then charges you the same. Something for nothing. Magic and essense are more than numbers. But whatever, I guess in the end I would allow it but anytime i get frustrated or whatever im taking it out on those characters lol.
KCKitsune
Except using any spells might set off the Security's mystic defenses. Improved Reflexes is a sustained spell and therefore will impact your abilities with your guns/spirits. The Trauma Dampener is nice, but unless your overcasting (I was mistaken before about overcasting... which causes physical damage rather than stun), it's not helping out that much. For the overcasting bits... when you need to have big booms... carry a MGL-6 grenade launcher pistol. With high explosive grenades, you got a mini panther assault cannon... enough boom boom for any psycho gun bunny or street sammy out there.
Velocity219e
QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 20 2008, 09:38 AM) *

I hate awakened characters who turn to technology to do stuff. Why dont you just learn some stupid spells to let you see in the dark, how about go astral so you dont even give a crap about the dark. Not only that but its to the point of being ultra popular. Oh look another mage with cyber eyes.

your mentors spirits would be so pissed off. I'd be forced to inflict penalties. Half off your mentor powers, double the penalties, higher threshold or whatever to reach the metaplanes to get past the dweller, -1 or 2 to learning spells from a mentor spirit or something? I'd take great pleasure in blowing out the cybernetics frequently because of drain or being hit by magic.

Its like hiring a guy to cut your bushes and then he hires somebody even cheaper and has them cut them and then charges you the same. Something for nothing. Magic and essense are more than numbers. But whatever, I guess in the end I would allow it but anytime i get frustrated or whatever im taking it out on those characters lol.

Sadly its just the difference between Roleplayers and Rollplayers

I personally would still play a Cybered Mage in some cases, or possibly even get Cyber AS a mage if it was relatively in context, crappy mage desperate for an edge over the competition gets cut, makes things harder in one respect but easier in another and suddenly you have a fantastic slow decline of magic over tech, assuming its not someone poring over books and min maxing for days on end and finding the ultimate combination of magic / initiation / cyber / bio and hardware.

I love the things people come up with as excercises on here, but if any of my players seriously tried to do that I'd burn all my books and hang up my DMing hat.
toturi
QUOTE (Velocity219e @ Feb 20 2008, 06:35 PM) *
Sadly its just the difference between Roleplayers and Rollplayers

I love the things people come up with as excercises on here, but if any of my players seriously tried to do that I'd burn all my books and hang up my DMing hat.

It is time you did that anyway. You'd get cancer if you didn't. Sadly there is no difference between Roleplayers and Rollplayers, both are equally annoying, but at least the Rollplayers have the good manners to do it by the book.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 20 2008, 10:38 AM) *
your mentors spirits would be so pissed off.

If your mentor spirit happens to be eagle, yes.
Or if you have taken the sensitive system handicap.

Besides that, no.
There's a bunch of traditions openly embracing technology, chaos magic for example.
Or most magical groups that happen to have corporate sponsorship.
It's 2070, not 2011.
Transhumanism is the way to go.
Deal with it.
Critias
Yeah. It's totally cheap and lame and weak-sauce to make a guy who uses sorcery and technology at the same time. What do you think this is, a game where man meets magic and machine?! Pick one character class and stick to it, you munchkinny rollplayer, you!
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Feb 20 2008, 05:28 AM) *
Speaking completely from an optimization stance, I'm not big on the cyber ears, synaptic boosters, or pain editor. You can get all that funtionality without loosing essence(ear buds + drones, Improved Reflexes spell, and Stimulates). I hear where you're going with the pain editor. It is a little better than stims, but it doesn't stack with platelet factor/Trauma Dampener combo... which makes over casting very viable. Especially if you have 2 extra boxes of P from limbs and 3+ from spirits.

Pain editor is good for one thing though - binding spirits, particularly big ones. It is *very* good for that, because it keeps you on your feet even if you cock it all up, ensuring the enraged spirit doesn't cap you in the face.

But otherwise yeah, trauma dampener is sweet. I'd probably get both so I can toggle between 'Trauma dampener general use mode' and 'Pain Editor for Summoning rituals'

You could do

Trauma Damper۩
Cerebral Booster (1-3) 3
Pain Editor

Datajack

Skillwire (1-6) 4
Skillwire Expert System۩

Platelet Factories

Cybereye Rating 2

Smartlink
Flare Compensation
Thermographic Vision
Vision Enhancment (1-3)

But really the question is abstract, because a runner who can afford that can also afford to buy a high life style and retire.

Ryu
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 20 2008, 12:04 PM) *
It is time you did that anyway. You'd get cancer if you didn't. Sadly there is no difference between Roleplayers and Rollplayers, both are equally annoying, but at least the Rollplayers have the good manners to do it by the book.

Thanks for the point you make. The rules ultimately decide what is good to do, and what isn´t. In this case, I´ll have to carry the flag of rollplaying and suggest that anyone NOT at an improbable point on the magic power scale (limit of un-initiated magic, spellcaster, and in the shadows) is ingame better off augmenting than keeping their magic up. I totally get single chars that don´t want agumentation, but the notion that magic = no augmentations is not supported at all. Quite to the contrary, mages should spend some of their money on high-grade implants. If the player spends karma on increasing magic again, the char just notices that magic regenerates over a few month (at most). Quite acceptable if you just got:

All delta, because one can:
Cerebral boosters 3, Bio 0.3 - for astral agility, and drain for the lucky ones
Suprathyroid Gland, Bio 0.35 - not much to comment upon
Orthoskin 2, Bio 0.25 - or go with Dermal Sheath 2

Cybereyes, Cyber 0.15 - Lowlight, Smartgun, Flare comp, Vision Magnification
Datajack, Cyber 0.05 - still too good to pass up

Assuming a previous magic rating 4, spellcasting ability is much the same like before, will be up again once the player has 12 karma (often before going under the knife, but that is metagaming), and you have 7 attribute points more than before, don´t ever need to bother with contact lenses or trode nets, and will never again cut yourself with a kitchen knife, and you can eat double as much without getting fat. From that perspective, it seems just a bit munchy to say "I start with max. magic and will never do anything that impacts my magic, because that is what mages should do". I was the GM for such a char, it is no problem, but THAT is the true rollplayer way. Ignore the meat, improve the magic, be the unstoppable mage everyone dreads.

While you are at it, you need three sustaining foci: Improved Reflexes 4, Physical Mask 5, Gecko Crawl 5. All fine and magic, you were going to get improved masking anyway (with you third initiation), and it is a mere 26 karma + 130k¥. You did also notice that chargen is the right time to get that power focus? 6 BP per rating point is a steal, if you can already overcast to force 10 anyway.
KCKitsune
OK, Abbandon, before my power went off I had a pretty caustic reply to your post, but since I had time to calm down I was able to respond to your post in a more calm fashion. My response is below:

=================================
QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 20 2008, 04:38 AM) *

I'm going to use a paragraph from the SR4 Core rule book that will explain why EVERY Mage should get Cybereyes. It's on page 173 of the SR4 core rule book, and before you ask, I checked the FAQ and the Errata about this and I could NOT find anything to contradict it:

A spellcaster can target anyone or anything she can see directly with her natural vision. Physical cyber- or bio-enhancements paid for with Essence can be used to spot targets, but any technological visual aids that substitute themselves for the character’s own visual senses -- cameras, electronic binoculars, Matrix feeds, etc. -- cannot be used.

This means that if one spell slinger has vision mag cyberware and the other does not, then the mage with it can geek the mage without it at a MUCH further range.

OK what about the Hermetic Tradition of Chaos Magic? They LOVE tech! Here is a paragraph from Street Magic (page 37):

Chaos mages are the unabashed technophiles of the Awakened community, and commonly use technology in their
magic to complement traditional ritual materials and resources: AROs to represent formulae, mediaplayers for music, holographic symbols for warding, digital storage for their mystical libraries, and so on.

So if I am playing a Chaos Mage with a Cyber Commlink and carry my hermetic library in my head, does that make me a bad player because I want cyber and bioware? I want my Mage to live long enough to retire, and if taking an initial hit in Magic makes him just that much harder to kill then I'm all for it.

Also where in the rule books (SR4 only please) does it state that Drain would cause damage to cyberware? Why would it? Also, if I have cybereyes and they get blown out because of drain, does that mean that other mages in my party might go blind as their eyes get fragged?

If you hired me to do a job and I then hired someone else to do the work then you have the option to fire me and hire the slot that I got. If you don't then that's your fault.
ArkonC
No, i agree, it's like going to war with Iraq, once you commit to a path you should stay the course...
I mean it's not like shadowrunners are the type of people who would do anything to get the edge...

EDIT: Pressed post too soon...

As for ware, if you have a tradition that uses Logic, a cerebral booster is a given...
I usually give my mages a pair of cybereyes (Reasons given by KCKitsune)
The rest of the ware would depend a lot on the type of mage...
A face mage would take tailored pheromones, a combat mage rules with a greater bone density...
Feshy
This means that if one spell slinger has vision mag cyberware and the other does not, then the mage with it can geek the mage without it at a MUCH further range.

I would still think that at most ranges where you'd require vision magnification, you'd have time to pull an old-style pair of binoculars. Usually, at those ranges only one mage knows the other one is there.

[8] Cyber Hand -Right (Bulk Mod + 4)
[3] Agility Mod (rating 3)
[3] Body Mod (rating 3)
[2] Nanohive (rating 6)
Implant Medics
Universal Nanidotes
Universal Nanite Hunters
Nano Bio-Monitor
Neural Amplifier - Limbic
Neural Amplifier - NeoCortical

[8] Cyber Hand -Left (Bulk Mod + 4)
[2] Radar Rating (rating 4)
[6] Armor (rating 3)

Not possible. According to Augmentation, p44:

Only lower arms/legs, full arms/legs, and torsos
may have their Capacity increased by more than 2.

Then again, you've got room to spare in the right hand still -- just use customized attributes instead of attribute mods. It costs more (and is a real waste of money with just hands, most likely) but you said cost wasn't an issue.

Of course, I think the basic premise you are going for with the hands is flawed -- I don't think you'd get a bonus to firing pistols with only a cyber hand instead of a cyber arm. Gripping the pistol, sure -- but not aiming and firing it.
Kyoto Kid
...OK for a physad (using chargen limits)

Qualities:
Adept (5)
Type O (30)

Bio (figured as all Delta grade for basic cost)

Synaptic Booster 2 (.5)
Synthcardium 2 (.1)
Muscle Toner 2 (.4)

paws2sky

My favorite archetype of all time was the Burned-Out Mage from 1st/2nd Edition. biggrin.gif

I loved that guy, mostly for his sheer incompetence at picking what cyberware he had installed. He was brilliantly inefficient. It seemed like they picked every just slighty too expensive mod they could find: Wired 2 (or was it 1?), Muscle Rep 1, Skillwires 4, Datajack, Smartlink, etc. Poor guy barely had more than 1 Ess left. And his selection of skillsofts included winners like: Fichetti Pistol 4.

You could have stripped out two items and dropped his skillwires a level and he would have been a half decent combat mage. Thinking about it, he was probably a late awakening. He could have been quite good as a mage, but he'd already (carelessly?) started down the cyberware path by the time it happened. Kind of like Sam Verner from Secrets of Power, but with less angst (and much less 'ware). wink.gif

Personally I think too many people (both players and characters) get too hung up on squeezing every last ounce of efficiency out of their characters. And the problem here boils down to the Ess attribute and just how blatantly metagame-y it is. There's no chart on a the cyberdoc's wall that lists how much Ess each piece of 'ware costs. There's probably even no actual formalized way to track it. They know that certain 'ware hurts the body's integrity more than others. They know that too much 'ware will hose you.

Or maybe I'm wrong... I suppose by 2070 things could be advanced enough that astrally aspected magicians (or other magicians, maybe) can make a decent living consulting with cyberdocs on the negative impact of 'ware on the patient's body. This would be especially important for magicians looking to have 'ware installed.

I almost wish cyber/bio implants had a variable Ess cost. Even a +/-0.1 variation would be enough to make some people hesitate.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 20 2008, 01:38 AM) *

...didn't the Path of the Warrior in Tir na Nog allow for a reduction in the penalty to Magic for an adept who had augmentations that assisted her combat abilities? I'll have to pull that out when I get home.
Sponge
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Feb 20 2008, 03:30 AM) *
Let's not argue about whether or not a mage should or not.

Can we honour the OP's request and stick to the topic please smile.gif

QUOTE (KCKitsune)
QUOTE ("BBB p173")

A spellcaster can target anyone or anything she can see directly with her natural vision. Physical cyber- or bio-enhancements paid for with Essence can be used to spot targets, but any technological visual aids that substitute themselves for the character’s own visual senses -- cameras, electronic binoculars, Matrix feeds, etc. -- cannot be used.

But you can just get goggles or glasses or whatever with optical magnification and get the same effect.

Personally, I think you'd want to focus on cyberware which produces an effect that can't be duplicated through either external gear or sustained magical spells (or is simply much more advantageous as cyberware). However, the list will vary depending on what the focus of the character is, because different things will be valuable (for instance, if your magician is of the Qabbalistic tradition, maybe a Math SPU would be useful.)

About those cyberhands:

QUOTE (Augmentation p44)
Only lower arms/legs, full arms/legs, and torsos may have their Capacity increased by more than 2.

DS
WeaverMount
Thanks for the ketch on the bulk mod, and the alternate 'ware ideas.

So sell me on these pain editors. +1 willpower and not getting KOed from stun doesn't seem like that great when the drain from non-overcast spells/binding isn't that problematic in down time. Even if your magic is around 7, and you are binding a spirit at your max, it is very unlikely to get more 7 hits -> 14S. Any mage ought to be able to test that down into something they can stay conscious though. Edge if they can't. Those are perfectly acceptable odds to people who risk getting shot in the face for money.

On another note. Why the vitriol? Is the thought of a mage with some 'ware in a cyber punk game, who shoots in game where people shoot other people in the face for money just so Munchkin you feel compelled to take a swing at it?
Abbandon
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 20 2008, 08:35 AM) *
I'm going to use a paragraph from the SR4 Core rule book that will explain why EVERY Mage should get Cybereyes. It's on page 173 of the SR4 core rule book, and before you ask, I checked the FAQ and the Errata about this and I could NOT find anything to contradict it:

Never said you could not install cyber. Yeah you could spot the other mage from farther away.....unless he was asral and already casting a spell on your ass, sustaining a spell to make him see farther than you.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 20 2008, 08:35 AM) *
OK what about the Hermetic Tradition of Chaos Magic? They LOVE tech! Here is a paragraph from Street Magic (page 37):

So if I am playing a Chaos Mage with a Cyber Commlink and carry my hermetic library in my head, does that make me a bad player because I want cyber and bioware? I want my Mage to live long enough to retire, and if taking an initial hit in Magic makes him just that much harder to kill then I'm all for it.

Also where in the rule books (SR4 only please) does it state that Drain would cause damage to cyberware? Why would it? Also, if I have cybereyes and they get blown out because of drain, does that mean that other mages in my party might go blind as their eyes get fragged?

Just because they use technology in the use of their magic doesnt mean they would start getting implants. People with the ability to do magic would probably rather die than make their connection to it weaker even temporarily they would be scared they might lose it all together. Its just bad roleplaying i guess.

Drain causing blowouts is nowhere in the rules or street magic, they talk about magic being channeled through your body which is drain. I thought it would be a cool way to punish cybermages to make a severe overcast or hit from magic blow out cyberware(this might also be a cool thing to do to cybered up characters anyways if they got to much money heh or to explain the need to upgrade). They could astral percieve until they can get to a clinic.

I was just saying "I dont like cybermages". I wont respond to any more questions so you guys can all hang out in recovery.
paws2sky
Okay, now that I've had a chance to look at the cyber and bioware...

So-Called Must-Have's
Cybereyes: good for all the previously mentioned reasons.
Datajack: a staple of 2070's technology. Sure, you could use a skinlink, but there's not much that beats DNI in terms of stability/durability.
Cerebral Booster: seems like a must-have for Log+Wil traditions. Cha and Int traditions can (and probably should) skip it.
Synaptic Booster: always nice to have an edge on the opposition. You're not looking to out vroom street samurai, you're looking to beat the guy with no mods or to match the ones that have a little bit of an edge over the unmodded folks. Realistically, go with level 1 unless you're getting Delta grade stuff, then go for level 2.
Trauma Damper: Not sure what it does exactly in SR4, but it was certainly something to look into in previous editions.
Damage Compensators: Another nice one that gives you a bit of an edge when the drain starts piling up.

Oddball, but interesting...
Orthoskin: And interesting choice. Stacks with worn armor and lets you get away with a lower Bod score (not less than 3, unless you're insane).
Commlink: Good for clandestine communications, but the difficulty involved with swapping it out makes it questionable, IMO. Best bet is to have it and keep it in hidden mode or turned off, using it only when absolutely needed.
Sleep Regulator: I would get this in a heartbeat if they existed and I could afford it. More efficient sleep means you can do all kinds of stuff that normal folks can't and still feel okay.

Unrealistic, but...
Skillwires: They're just neat, really. Working with 1 Ess doesn't give you much room for them, but man, imagine being able to sink your Karma into your magic stuff and still not completely suck at doing other things.
Implanted Weapon Focus: nothing more frustrating than having your pricey weapon focus stolen, impounded, etc.

Anything else you can probably skip, unless you really feel the need to multi-task as a gunbunny or something, in which case you could add Muscle Toner and a Smartlink to the list.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 20 2008, 12:38 PM) *
I was just saying "I dont like cybermages".

No. If that were the case you wouldn't have drawn any flak. What you said was more like, "I don't like cybermages, and I will actively punish any player who wanted to play one using made-up rules, and justify it using made-up fluff text."
There is a special kind of hat for GMs like that.
Kyoto Kid
...heck even an adept purist such as myself has seen the benefit of a little ware now & then.

...but in agreement with Sponge, back to the main topic....

[/Derail]
Adarael
Most of the assumptions about what is "right" and what is "wrong" in this thread are patently retarded.
Jesus.

There is a special kind of hat for GMs like that.

It better a dunce hat, Moon-Hawk.
Kyrn
It could theoretically include an ass-hat according to my observations of forum vernacular.
Adarael
Sir, you are incisive in your deductions. I approve.
Rasumichin
I'm surprised no one mentions genemods.
Okay, they aren't available in anything but standard grade, which might make it a tad bit difficult to squeeze them in 1 point of essence, depending on what kind of other ware you're packing, but still, genetic optimization and daredrenaline are the only way to augment drain attributes besides logic.
And their essence costs aren't that high to begin with.
So, for any non-logic-dependant mage looking for some enhancement, they're definitely worth considering.
ArkonC
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Feb 20 2008, 08:25 PM) *
I'm surprised no one mentions genemods.
Okay, they aren't available in anything but standard grade, which might make it a tad bit difficult to squeeze them in 1 point of essence, depending on what kind of other ware you're packing, but still, genetic optimization and daredrenaline are the only way to augment drain attributes besides logic.
And their essence costs aren't that high to begin with.
So, for any non-logic-dependant mage looking for some enhancement, they're definitely worth considering.

I can't believe I missed this, my adepts usually all get some gen opt and always get Reakt...
Moon-Hawk
Semi-canon: Under tweaking the rules there is an optional rule that symbionts have 0 essence cost. That's always worth trying to talk your GM into.

I see no edition tags, so if we're talking SR3 then every character needs trauma damper, mnemonic enhancer, and enhanced articulation, no exceptions. Cybereyes are always a good choice for the mage.
For SR4, it's pretty much been said. Cybereyes, Cerebral Booster for logic traditions, a level of synaptic accelerator is great for some initiative boost that you can actually sneak through a ward. Pain Editor is a good one.
Fortune
QUOTE (Feshy @ Feb 21 2008, 02:41 AM) *
Of course, I think the basic premise you are going for with the hands is flawed -- I don't think you'd get a bonus to firing pistols with only a cyber hand instead of a cyber arm. Gripping the pistol, sure -- but not aiming and firing it.

That's true.

QUOTE (Augmentation pg. 45)
Cyberlimb optimization modifications are only available to full arm and leg cyberlimbs, and must be chosen when the cyber-limb is purchased.

Fortune
QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 21 2008, 04:38 AM) *
I was just saying "I dont like cybermages".

Not true! You are saying you hate cybermages, and that anyone that creates or plays one is a bad roleplayer.
Abbandon
That is true.....I am an asshat.....but only in this instance and only towards cyber, I said i was more lenient towards bio hehehe.
Kyrn
At least asshat's as much fun to type as it to say. Though I recall a great deal of consternation on the boards many moons ago about a similar issue (I believe it was cyberadepts) with numerous folks in both camps...
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ArkonC @ Feb 20 2008, 11:29 AM) *
I can't believe I missed this, my adepts usually all get some gen opt and always get Reakt...

...a bit pricey at 25,000 (or is it 30,000?). When you're talking that much in resources, Id be more apt to look at Enhanced Articulation (+1 to all physical and combat skills) or a Skill Group Reflex Recorder.

Of course if you are going for Genetech, the best route is taking the Genetric Heritage quality. You get one free Genetech treatment (Hint: Genetic Optimisation) which will also give you a 20% break on the cost of all Transgneic enhancements both at chargen and afterwards. Also keep in mind that Genetic Optimisation stacks with the Exceptional Attribute quality. I almost considered this in the re-engineered version of the Short One (her father after all was an eminent genetic engineer), but there were no Transgenic treatments that made sense for her which didn't push her over the 1 Essence/PP limit when combined with her Synaptic Booster 1 Bioware.
Whipstitch
Enhanced Articulation kinda got hit with the ol' nerf bat in the edition change KK. It's just Physical Skills linked to Physical Attributes. So your Enhanced Articulation helps Gymnastics (Physical Skill, Physical Attribute) but not Perception (Physical Skill, Mental Attribute) or Pistols (Combat Skill, Physical Attribute).

My personal favorite 'ware for mages are as follows: SkillWires, Cerebral Boosters, Trauma Damper, Cybereyes, Sleep Editor, Pain Editor and the Skin Pocket. I think the Skin Pocket in particular is underrated; a small Focus should easily fit in there and it's certainly something you don't want to lose in a search.

As far as the thematic issue goes, I vastly prefer the Hermetic and technology friendly paradigms over the more ecstatic traditions. I simply relate better to characters that approach things from a more regimented, practical point of view than I do with say, a Houngan, and I'm a firm supporter of cybered Awakened, both thematically and mechanically.
Ryu
Genetic Heritage is a nice option, allthough it would not get much use if you only spend one point. Note that Enhanced Articulation no longer gives a bonus to combat skills! Only physical skills linked to physical attributes.

Is it acceptable to suggest options for two magic points?
Whipstitch
If I dip to 2 points of magic loss it's usually for things like Muscle Toners, Reaction Enhancers (goes well with Increase Reflexes) and SkillWires. Generally, I avoid dipping down that low at chargen however, since even a 1 or 2 background count is pretty crippling for a Magic 3 magician and taking the 6 magic required to be higher than that is rather expensive. Such a character can work fine, but at that point I'd strongly consider ditching Spell Casting altogether and concentrate on being a Conjurer/Counterspeller instead, since a lot of spirit wrangling can be done in relatively safe enviroments and all the points you save on not having to buy any spells can be put towards talents that aren't so dependent on your middling Magic attribute. Works rather nicely with Elven Conjurer/Faces in particular.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 20 2008, 04:27 PM) *
...a bit pricey at 25,000 (or is it 30,000?). When you're talking that much in resources, Id be more apt to look at Enhanced Articulation (+1 to all physical and combat skills) or a Skill Group Reflex Recorder.

Enhanced Articulation doesn't give a +1 to combat skills. It only gives +1 to Physical skills.
Whipstitch
...You guys aren't even reading posts anymore; it's the third time it's been brought up now.
Ryu
What about a smuggling compartment for the less efficiency-inclined? Never loose that focus again.

About the two lost points: I´d start real weak magically by buying magic 4(2) and only buying Spellcasting, Counterspelling and Summoning 4, Binding 1. Then I buy a rating 2 power focus, and get used to constantly overcasting.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Feb 20 2008, 01:34 PM) *
Enhanced Articulation kinda got hit with the ol' nerf bat in the edition change KK. It's just Physical Skills linked to Physical Attributes. So your Enhanced Articulation helps Gymnastics (Physical Skill, Physical Attribute) but not Perception (Physical Skill, Mental Attribute) or Pistols (Combat Skill, Physical Attribute)

...oopsie embarrassed.gif got it mixed up with the Reflex Recorder. That works with both Physical & Combat skills.

...now 2 points for an adept, that could work, especially if she has the Type O or Genetic Heritage quality.

...yeah yeah yeah, I know what I said before...then I reworked the Short One...hey, at least I was willing to give it a try...
Teulisch
from augmentation- a rating 4 radar sensor. fairly cheap, sees the invisible, and can penetrate 20 cumulative structure. and since you can target what you can see... that makes casting through concrete as simple as casting through very reinforced glass.

and its not in any book, but the idea of awakened symbionts should be part of someones research....
Kyoto Kid
...I am not sure it would work for spellcasting through walls as it is essentially not "true visual" sight. That's what Mage Sight Goggles and Fibre Optic visual systems are for.

However I do like the 'ware for the opposite reason so I can spot that invisible mage & shoot him in his radar mapped face. grinbig.gif
ShadowDragon8685
As the old saw goes, "If you paid for it with Essence, it counts for Magic."
Kyoto Kid
...we don't need to give mages any more advantages over mundanes than they already have.

The price of all Manatech in my campaigns has been slashed by 75% grinbig.gif
DTFarstar
Has to be an optic sight aug for it to work with casting. Radar is not remotely optic in nature.

Chris
Kyoto Kid
...thanks, I knew I was right on that.

Otherwise I would be handing out area jammers to all un-awakened citizens. Hey, we could then go back to Cyberdecks and jacking into the matrix as well too.

...hmmmm...not a bad idea. grinbig.gif
Feshy
Cyberlimb optimization modifications are only available to full arm and leg cyberlimbs, and must be chosen when the cyber-limb is purchased.

Somehow I missed the first part of that sentence; probably because the character I was interested in using it for has full limbs. Thanks for the correction.

Has to be an optic sight aug for it to work with casting. Radar is not remotely optic in nature.

I always found that weird. "You may cast spells at targets clearly illuminated by wavelengths between ~10^-5m and ~4x10^-7m, if you have natural or essence-bought photon receptors in physical contact with your aura." Dropping the photon power down another 3 orders of magnitude, even with an associated increase in the number of those photons from an active radar illuminator, just isn't sufficient for magic. Even if it makes exactly as much sense as casting through optically clear barriers does.

I wonder if perhaps it's just the manner of focusing? Antennas and the like don't count as "focused" light? That'd make for a great plot hook. Some crazy techno-minded mage in his basement makes an exotic nanomaterial lens that allows him to optically focus radar waves... and goes around blasting people through walls.
Eyeless Blond
It's not a matter of detecting the target; otherwise you could target someone who was shouting at you from around a corner. Magic is all about Ling of Sight, so much so that there has to be something more to it than photons moving from the target to you. It's not specifically stated in canon, but I consider LoS itself to be a link with the target. It's more than just seeing the person's image; you can do that by looking at a photograph. There's something inherently magical about having a clear line from you to the target; that's also why things that provide soft cover provide modifiers for spellcasting.
Feshy
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Feb 20 2008, 10:32 PM) *
It's not a matter of detecting the target; otherwise you could target someone who was shouting at you from around a corner. Magic is all about Ling of Sight, so much so that there has to be something more to it than photons moving from the target to you. It's not specifically stated in canon, but I consider LoS itself to be a link with the target. It's more than just seeing the person's image; you can do that by looking at a photograph. There's something inherently magical about having a clear line from you to the target; that's also why things that provide soft cover provide modifiers for spellcasting.

Yes, but what is a "clear line of sight" if not a path through material with a low absorption at wavelengths detectable with your eyes? You can even replace your eyes with a digital receptor, and still have it count -- but only if that digital receptor is in the infrared. If that receptor is at some other wavelength (radar, just below infrared) then it doesn't count for some reason, despite being the same physical phenomenon.

Imagine a material transparent in the infrared, but opaque to normal light (e.g. the front plastic bit on your TV remote, but thicker.) By getting the infra-red photon receptors in your head you can cast through that, when normally you wouldn't. Now imagine a surface opaque to visual and infra-red, but translucent to radio waves (e.g. drywall.) Implant radio-wave receptors in your head and... you still can't cast through it. It doesn't make physical sense. The only thing that changed in the two examples was that the wavelength dropped by two orders of magnitude (close to the same drop between visual and infrared too)

My only real answer is that because most people believe windows, air, and water are clear, magic works through them. Infra-red transparent material that is opaque in the optic is rare enough not to come up, and has never (to my memory) been discussed in the fluff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012