Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any reason for Adepts to get Quickdraw Anymore?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nathanross
Man, speaking of things you really have to see before you die, google up or somehow find some Wait Uzaiga comics. Its in Japanese, but that shouldn't prevent the main point from coming across. Also, any Goro hentai is good to break your soul and humanity. Sometimes I really want to play that Shadowrun game in a world of complete darkness, without hope of salvation.
samuelbeckett
So regarding the topic at hand, and for clarity, the options available to ready a weapon are:

Ready Weapon (Simple Action, no roll, can be used for any weapon, no attack)
Quick Draw (Simple Action, Reaction + Pistol [3], can only be used for pistol sized weapons, includes attack)
Adept Quick Draw [cost in Power Points] (Simple or Complex Action depending on weapon, Reaction + Weapon Skill [2], can be used for any weapon, includes attack)
Krav Maga Martial Art [cost in BP/Karma] (Free Action, no roll, no cost, can be used for any weapon, no attack)
Iaijutsu [cost in BP/Karma in addition to Martial Arts] (Simple or Complex Action depending on weapon, Reaction + Weapon Skill [3], can be used for any weapon with a Reach 1 or less, includes attack)

Quick Draw action is effectively limited to pistols, so if your tastes veer towards bigger ordinance, it doesn't really cut it despite being a no-cost option.

Iaijutsu limits the size of the weapon, requires you to already know Martial Arts (which may not be too much of a stretch for an adept) and has the same threshold as normal Quick Draw - all limiting factors compared to the Quick Draw power.

Krav Maga has the benefit of no test, but the disadvantage of using up your Free Action. If you need the power points for something else, and can spare 5 BP to get basic Krav Maga, it is definitely the best alternative.

So in terms of speed, and provided you are skilled enough to make a threshold 2 test pretty much consistently, the adept Quick Draw power is the quickest (and most flexible) way of going from unarmed to armed, as you can attack twice with smaller weapons, as well as draw and attack with machineguns and the like, all without losing a potentially useful Free Action.

So, the answer to the OP's original question is if you plan to play an adept who wants the flexibility of readying and shooting/slicing with pretty much any weapon known to man and doesn't want to waste a Free Action doing it - Quick Draw power all the way baby...
Nightwalker450
Also of Note I don't believe Krav Maga extends to multiple weapons. Iajutsu does, since its the mundane version of the adept power.

Such as drawing 2 pistols/knives... So Krav Maga is more for the big guns wheras Iajutsu/Quick Draw are better for multiple smaller weapons
samuelbeckett
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Feb 26 2008, 04:28 PM) *
Also of Note I don't believe Krav Maga extends to multiple weapons. Iajutsu does, since its the mundane version of the adept power.

Such as drawing 2 pistols/knives... So Krav Maga is more for the big guns wheras Iajutsu/Quick Draw are better for multiple smaller weapons

Yeah, agreed. Krav Maga is just a Free Action version of Ready Weapon, and Ready Weapon only relates to a single weapon. However, whilst the Quick Draw action RAW allows drawing two weapons by upping the threshold, that is not specified directly in the Quick Draw power or Iaijutsu. I would guess the power and Iaijutsu were supposed to be aimed at the traditional drawing of a single larger weapon i.e. a katana or the like. However, don't think it would break anything to allow two weapon drawing with either...after all, I suspect the number of runners wanting to draw and fire two machine guns at the same time would be limited smile.gif
Whitelaughter
Going off topic again - hurling people could make Decrease Body a useful spell?
Decrease Body to 1 for range, drop the spell so that Body returns to normal for calculating damage; and the damage code is the same as for a bow. And it's magic, so RW physics isn't relevant.

Hmm.
Prepare a baby as a Living Vessel, summon in an Spirit of Earth -

and the baby throws the troll though the window of the Lone Star patrol car.

P.S. I heard that the roleplaying motivational posters thread had closed down; has it stated up again somewhere else?
Whitelaughter
Using those rules from Cannon Companion, and bit of thaumaturgical creativity, you could create an awesome weapon - the Elephant Gun.

Modify (Critter) Form (an existing Shapechange variant): transforms to oyster, only effects elephants, and (this will make the Drain crippling) Area Effect. Have a techie build an airgun designed to shoot oysters. Quicken the spell, attaching it to the gun. Go hunting elephants. As each turns into an oyster, load it into the gun.

On the next run - you fire the gun, sending the oyster hurling at your opponent and out of the spell's area of effect. The oyster returns to elephant form and flies through the air towards your opponent...

I wonder if an airgun can handle burst fire? Full auto?
DocTaotsu
>Lonestar LIVEfeed>
Officer Rand: "Spinelli, take a look at this would you?"
Officer Spinelli peers into the proffered bag: "It's a bag, a bag with oysters..." focuses, looking beyond the veil into the astral, "Very very magical oysters."
Officer Rand: "What the devil would runners need a bag full of magical oysters for?"
Officer Spinelli: "I have no idea... but hey, they're starting to cha-"
>Feed Terminated:Equipment Failure>
nathanross
QUOTE (Whitelaughter @ Feb 28 2008, 09:55 AM) *
On the next run - you fire the gun, sending the oyster hurling at your opponent and out of the spell's area of effect. The oyster returns to elephant form and flies through the air towards your opponent...

Adds a whole new meaning to "Elephant Gun" biggrin.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Feb 26 2008, 05:28 PM) *
Also of Note I don't believe Krav Maga extends to multiple weapons.

Actually, Ready Weapon allows one to ready up to Agility half small throwing weapons like knives - while Quickdraw only allows you to draw one and throw it immediately.
Stahlseele
P.S. I heard that the roleplaying motivational posters thread had closed down; has it stated up again somewhere else?

Jup, there's a new one going, posted the pictues i posted the links to in this very thread over there as well
Whitelaughter
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 29 2008, 04:59 AM) *
Jup, there's a new one going, posted the pictues i posted the links to in this very thread over there as well

Excellent. But where? A link would be great!

And [snicker] to the responses to Elephant Gun! a Blair Witch Elephant Gun Lone Star project...oh dear...smile.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Whitelaughter @ Feb 28 2008, 09:55 AM) *
Using those rules from Cannon Companion, and bit of thaumaturgical creativity, you could create an awesome weapon - the Elephant Gun.

Modify (Critter) Form (an existing Shapechange variant): transforms to oyster, only effects elephants, and (this will make the Drain crippling) Area Effect. Have a techie build an airgun designed to shoot oysters. Quicken the spell, attaching it to the gun. Go hunting elephants. As each turns into an oyster, load it into the gun.

I wonder if an airgun can handle burst fire? Full auto?

If you're a sick bastard... use polar bears. If they survive impact with the target, they'll be so pissed off that they'll rip the target apart. Could be a great distraction for a getaway.
Whitelaughter
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 29 2008, 02:44 PM) *
If you're a sick bastard... use polar bears.

Guilty!
I had considered blue whales, but it cost me the elephant gun pun and I doubt they'd still exist in Shadowrun anyway. Polar Bears is a fine option!
DocTaotsu
I think I'd like a badger gun. Those beasties are mean.

hell, i might even settle for a simple bag of badgers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012