Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any reason for Adepts to get Quickdraw Anymore?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
DocTaotsu
KCKitsune, we talked about this. Regenerating, steel jacketed, APDS troll baby remember? God, don't you even read?
wink.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 22 2008, 06:18 AM) *
KCKitsune, we talked about this. Regenerating, steel jacketed, APDS troll baby remember? God, don't you even read?
wink.gif

Funny the baby looked too pink to be a troll baby... maybe an albino? biggrin.gif
DocTaotsu
Didn't you know? Troll natural armor starts out baby pink before it gets darker.
Ophis
Lovely pic sir.

On tthe sickness front should Hyzmarca's posts/thread come with a mental health warning? Or should we let newbies work that out for themselves?
DocTaotsu
If you keep clicking on Hyzmarca posts (I love you man, even if I find you creepy) you know what you're getting yourself into.

You're also probably the kind of person who still ran a search for "2 Girls 1 Cup" after your buddy told you that he threw up on his computer.
Ryu
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 22 2008, 01:03 PM) *
If you keep clicking on Hyzmarca posts (I love you man, even if I find you creepy) you know what you're getting yourself into.

You're also probably the kind of person who still ran a search for "2 Girls 1 Cup" after your buddy told you that he threw up on his computer.

Don´t do that. A friend send me the link, and typed a warning seconds later. He conveniently "forgot" that I have a cable modem now, instead of a 36kbit-connection. (Edited to not look dumb: The modem was 56kbit of course. Way bad connection, never ran even above 40kbit.)
DocTaotsu
See you have an excuse, you got buddy fucked. I was stupid enough to go looking for trouble. wink.gif
jago668
See now, I have learned that anytime anyone sends me a link or asks me to go look at something online. I don't. I have a handful of people that I really trust and am friends with, like help hide bodies friends. However I won't completely trust them with blind internet links. Just a bad, bad idea.

Remember the internet is not really your friend. It is more like that crazy pyscho ex you have.
Feshy
Remember the internet is not really your friend. It is more like that crazy pyscho ex you have.

That's not entirely true. There's only one internet, for instance.
jago668
QUOTE (Feshy @ Feb 22 2008, 04:09 PM) *
That's not entirely true. There's only one internet, for instance.

Not if you heard this one black girl I had in a class. Evidently there are intarwebs somewhere, and you access them via comprutars. *shakes head* She was always good for a laugh.
Stahlseele
there is more than one internet, technically . . because the internet is one big network of interconnected networks . . 2 interconnected networks are one internet, if you so like . . then there's the military systems, then there's the corporate networks, VPN's etc. et cetera, drekcetera
DocTaotsu
So... where do the series of tubes fit into all that?
jago668
They connect the different internets together. So as long as you stay on the same one you are okay. If you try to go to a different one you might get bogged down and have to call for a giant internet poker chip to come clear it out.
DocTaotsu
Maybe we should go back to 3rd ed.

Than we could have dikoted troll babies, and that'd be the bestest thing ever.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 23 2008, 05:18 PM) *
Maybe we should go back to 3rd ed.

Than we could have dikoted troll babies, and that'd be the bestest thing ever.

Except they wouldn't survive the process with much of their mass left... and they would soon start to stink! grinbig.gif

Not the living Troll babies would be much better... what's the DV of a Troll baby's dirty diaper? eek.gif dead.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 24 2008, 01:28 AM) *
Except they wouldn't survive the process with much of their mass left... and they would soon start to stink! grinbig.gif

Not the living Troll babies would be much better... what's the DV of a Troll baby's dirty diaper? eek.gif dead.gif

Nah, they won´t stink if their whole surface is diamond-coated.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 23 2008, 07:53 PM) *
Nah, they won´t stink if their whole surface is diamond-coated.

Still waiting for the DV of a Troll's dirty nappy? grinbig.gif
ixombie
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 22 2008, 07:15 PM) *
So... where do the series of tubes fit into all that?

That fits into the proof of the Internet is Not a Truck Theorum.
DocTaotsu
Hm... Maybe if we just dikoted the horns... or got the baby a pair of those adorable little shoes, and dikoted the shoes.

Than threw the baby through a squad car.
Demerzel
QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 20 2008, 12:35 PM) *
I think that would be one case where physics interposes. No matter how hard you throw a baby at a brick wall, the wall will be fine and the baby will not. They're just not hard enough.

Without resorting to faulty sciencemythbusters you could just consider that water is softer than metal and wood yet there exists water jet cutters. And some don't use abrasives.
Ryu
The wall just has to break in the fraction of a second before the baby, thrown at not-funny-high-speed, gets squished.

Continuous-stream-of-baby-cutting is out, technically not at all feasible. Troll population figures are what they are, sorry.
DocTaotsu
That's why we use ork babies for continuous-stream-baby-cutting, duh. wink.gif

Or elf adults, that's another seemingly untapped resource.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 24 2008, 12:36 PM) *
That's why we use ork babies for continuous-stream-baby-cutting, duh. wink.gif

Or elf adults, that's another seemingly untapped resource.

But then you would have to deal with the whining from elves... them being all emo and what not
DocTaotsu
The whining is like the sighing of spoo, it enhances the flavor and the ballistics.

So, by the rules, is it possible to kill a vehicle or the occupants of a vehicle with a baby? I'm talking cybered/physad troll, relevant skills, called shot, the whole nine.
Stahlseele
Long-Shot-Rules/Karma/Edge Burning make everything possible *g*
Of course, a little bribing on the GM can do wonders too ^^
nathanross
Hmmmm, this thread addresses something that I feel CGL totally Fucked up on. While throwing baby's is nice, it does not pertain in any way to the issue of Iaijutsu maneuver and/or Krav Maga free Ready Weapon.

I always saw the Adept power Quick Draw as totally absurd (but hey, it's magic). Being able to quick draw an alpha, fire a long burst, drop it with a free action, then quick draw a panther cannon all within 3 seconds (or less), without magic is absurd. I don't really know what a better way to do what Krav Maga is intending, but Iai is for Katana. I see it only able to extend further to melee weapons (non exotic) with reach 0 or 1. This way, like the martial art's qualities, the mundane is not just meat for the adept, just the fighter adept that also has martial arts biggrin.gif

I also feel that Iai should be learned separately for each type of weapon, and not just learned once to apply to all weapons. After all, 4karma hardly reflects the lifetime effort an Iai master must spend to master his art, much less perform it with accuracy and without harming himself.
mfb
i don't think it does. i think the iaijutsu maneuver reflects a basic understanding and competency with the technique, and that a high sword skill and high natural initiative score reflect mastery of the technique.
nathanross
QUOTE (mfb @ Feb 24 2008, 03:30 PM) *
i don't think it does. i think the iaijutsu maneuver reflects a basic understanding and competency with the technique, and that a high sword skill and high natural initiative score reflect mastery of the technique.

While you are right that a high agility and skill are good, this falls outside of hitting someone accurately and fast as you are hitting them accurately and faster using an unconventional method (the stroke starts with the blade in the sheath). I am not saying that it should be too expensive, but I see no reason for Iaijutsu maneuver to act almost exactly like Quick Draw adept power. If you want an absurd Quick Draw (aka Heavy Weapon quick draw), you become an adept. Allowing everyone to Quick Draw like an adept is just foolish.

When you train a Weapon skill (like a soldier would) you do not spend hours at a time repeating the most efficient drawing motions so that you can ready a weapon instantaneously, you focus on shooting straight. Of course knowing your weapon helps when you want to quickly draw it, but it does not go into the level of speed that the rules imply.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 22 2008, 07:03 AM) *

Would it surprise you to know that I find 2girls1cup to be aesthetically pleasing? Compared to most of the crappy (no pun intended) scat movies out there, 2girls1cup excelled in artistry, technique, and enthusiasm. I'm sure that most of this has to do with good editing. Now SWAP.avi was just atrocious. I find that if you read enough about a subject, written by enthusiasts from their perspective, you can understand and empathize with them enough to appreciate such things even if they are gross.

I'd really Chuck and DL play baseball together.

And yeah, Iaido quickdraw really shouldn't apply to things other than katanas carried in a traditional scabbard. Iaido is designed very specifically for the katana.
Muspellsheimr
Possible house rules for this include:
Quick Draw - no test is required. It succeeds automatically.
Iaijitsu - Only applies to melee weapons with a reach of 0 or 1 (may be taken a second time for all melee weapons), or ranged weapons of up to assault rifle size (may be taken a second time for all ranged weapons), chosen when you take the maneuver. You may take it multiple times, selecting a new option each time.

I will probably end up using both. Remember, there is supposed to be an errata for Street Magic this month (almost over). They may be fixing the issue, at least partially, with it.
nathanross
I dont there is an issue though with the Quick Draw rules in Street Magic as written. I guess it comes down to what everyone wishes to allow in their games, but I personally dont see how such a thing could be done by normal people.

Humans just dont have that kind of muscle power and speed to draw a rifle as fast as an expert can draw a katana or similar sword. It is so much heavier, the muscles used are different, and it just isn't Iai (plain and simple).

Any ideas for Krav Maga houserules? I haven't seen it used yet and it may be a nonissue, but I dont see how sammy's could resist.
ixombie
QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 24 2008, 03:17 PM) *
I always saw the Adept power Quick Draw as totally absurd (but hey, it's magic). Being able to quick draw an alpha, fire a long burst, drop it with a free action, then quick draw a panther cannon all within 3 seconds (or less), without magic is absurd. I don't really know what a better way to do what Krav Maga is intending, but Iai is for Katana. I see it only able to extend further to melee weapons (non exotic) with reach 0 or 1. This way, like the martial art's qualities, the mundane is not just meat for the adept, just the fighter adept that also has martial arts biggrin.gif

Well, let's not get sidetracked by the name they used. When they picked iajutsu, they weren't referring to the katana technique. It was just a cool name they used.

I also feel that Iai should be learned separately for each type of weapon, and not just learned once to apply to all weapons. After all, 4karma hardly reflects the lifetime effort an Iai master must spend to master his art, much less perform it with accuracy and without harming himself.

I think that's a reasonable houserule, myself. Without that, iajutsu is mandatory for everyone except unarmed and Krav Maga fighters. And Quick Draw (the power) is pointless. I usually don't care about realism, but one skill allowing you to quick draw both a sword and an assault rifle is too far out there.

Though actually, couldn't you read the RAW that way? It says "The character may draw and use a single melee weapon, missile weapon, throwing weapon or firearm of Reach 1 or less with a Simple Action." Maybe the words 'single' and 'or' are telling us that you pick one kind of weapon that can be quickdrawn in this fashion. At the very least, it's an ambiguity. I wish they had some lawyers on the dev team who knew how to draft rules clearly ohplease.gif
Feshy
QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 24 2008, 07:47 PM) *
Well, let's not get sidetracked by the name they used. When they picked iajutsu, they weren't referring to the katana technique. It was just a cool name they used.

I think that's a reasonable houserule, myself. Without that, iajutsu is mandatory for everyone except unarmed and Krav Maga fighters. And Quick Draw (the power) is pointless. I usually don't care about realism, but one skill allowing you to quick draw both a sword and an assault rifle is too far out there.

Though actually, couldn't you read the RAW that way? It says "The character may draw and use a single melee weapon, missile weapon, throwing weapon or firearm of Reach 1 or less with a Simple Action." Maybe the words 'single' and 'or' are telling us that you pick one kind of weapon that can be quickdrawn in this fashion. At the very least, it's an ambiguity. I wish they had some lawyers on the dev team who knew how to draft rules clearly ohplease.gif

If you include the sentence before that, this interpretation becomes much less likely:

"A character with this maneuver may use the Quick Draw rules(p. 137, SR4) to draw any weapon, not just pistols."

While you don't have to learn the maneuver different for each type of weapon, do keep in mind that the quick draw test has a threshold, so theoretically you would need to be skilled in each type of weapon you draw. That's at least somewhat limiting, and reasonably balanc is a free action? And there is no test to do it? That's too much for a non-magic ability.
nathanross
QUOTE (Feshy @ Feb 24 2008, 09:23 PM) *
If you include the sentence before that, this interpretation becomes much less likely:

"A character with this maneuver may use the Quick Draw rules(p. 137, SR4) to draw any weapon, not just pistols."

While you don't have to learn the maneuver different for each type of weapon, do keep in mind that the quick draw test has a threshold, so theoretically you would need to be skilled in each type of weapon you draw. That's at least somewhat limiting, and reasonably balanc is a free action? And there is no test to do it? That's too much for a non-magic ability.

That is true. A no test Quick Draw is just too far out. The Krav Maga I've seen is nothing like that.

As for the Quick Draw test, any weapon you really want to shoot usually has a DP of 9+ (3 Agility + 2 Muscle Toner + 4 Weapon skill). Now that is pretty safe for a threshold 3 test. If the character has a higher than average agility though and maybe even an exceptional skill, that is a cake threshold.

I think being able to draw a weapon with a Simple Action is already pushing the Human limits, this just goes too far into Adept territory for my liking. By the way, does anyone have any better qualities for Krav Maga? Something that would make it more of a Melee art and not a Ranged martial art.

Also, Kyudo and Kendo/Kenjutsu could use some stating, any volunteers.
hyzmarca
Drawing a weapon as a simple action is not at all pushing the limits of human ability. It lets a normal human draw a pistol from a holster in 1.5 seconds. With quickdraw he can draw the pistol and fire once in 1.5 seconds. In real life, drawing and hitting a target twice in 1.5 seconds from an exposed holster is the standard for firearms self-defense courses. Thus, the best unaugmented SR pistolman is slower than than a real person who has the minimum acceptable amount of firearms self-defense training.
Slymoon
Agreed hyzmarca

Here are two examples of very fast unaugmented persons:
first:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CsLx5ISBXw4

secondly:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ud7ML1bPi6g
6 hits in under 3 seconds.
Feshy
QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 24 2008, 09:21 PM) *
That is true. A no test Quick Draw is just too far out. The Krav Maga I've seen is nothing like that.

As for the Quick Draw test, any weapon you really want to shoot usually has a DP of 9+ (3 Agility + 2 Muscle Toner + 4 Weapon skill). Now that is pretty safe for a threshold 3 test. If the character has a higher than average agility though and maybe even an exceptional skill, that is a cake threshold.

I think being able to draw a weapon with a Simple Action is already pushing the Human limits, this just goes too far into Adept territory for my liking. By the way, does anyone have any better qualities for Krav Maga? Something that would make it more of a Melee art and not a Ranged martial art.

Also, Kyudo and Kendo/Kenjutsu could use some stating, any volunteers.

I don't know that I'd call 62.3% cake. It's a success more often than not, but not something to bet the bacon on except in an emergency. Still, you're probably correct that most runners have a higher roll than that. The odds jump to 81.9% at 12 dice, and 89.5% at 14 dice. Even then it's not guaranteed, even if it is likely.
nathanross
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 24 2008, 10:59 PM) *
Drawing a weapon as a simple action is not at all pushing the limits of human ability. It lets a normal human draw a pistol from a holster in 1.5 seconds. With quickdraw he can draw the pistol and fire once in 1.5 seconds. In real life, drawing and hitting a target twice in 1.5 seconds from an exposed holster is the standard for firearms self-defense courses. Thus, the best unaugmented SR pistolman is slower than than a real person who has the minimum acceptable amount of firearms self-defense training.

I think you misunderstand. I believe very much in the ability to quick draw a pistol. I do NOT believe in being able to quick draw a rifle. They are both guns sure, but the physical properties of each are very different. Shotgun maybe depending on size, etc. But that is already covered under Pistol sized weapons, as a shotgun small enough to quick draw is a Heavy Pistol for all but damage.
ixombie
QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 24 2008, 09:21 PM) *

Actually, Krav Maga does not allow a quick draw. It's slower than that. A quick draw uses a simple action, so you could quick draw and activate your cyberhand gyro, or change gun mode, or w/e. But with Krav Maga training, drawing the weapon uses up your free action.

And Krav Maga is a modern military martial art. You think it's going to stay static over 6 decades? Quickdraw might not be part of Krav Maga training, but considering it teaches you how to beat the ever living tar out of someone with a gun, it's reasonable for the devs to add it in, I think.
BRodda
QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 24 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Hmmmm, this thread addresses something that I feel CGL totally Fucked up on. While throwing baby's is nice, it does not pertain in any way to the issue of Iaijutsu maneuver and/or Krav Maga free Ready Weapon.

My GM has a sort of hosue rule that states I can quickdraw my throw weapons with no tests or costs. Basically my throwing adept can chuck 3 knifes an action (I have 3 actions do to improved reflexes) mainly becasue he likes the visual and it's "my thing". I think if we were strictly following the rules then I could just draw and throw a single knife an action. Of course that just means I'd be using my tomahawks more often becasue they do more damage, but it's harder to carry 6 or 7 of them. The deck of playing cards is still my standard weapon becasue it basically gives me a 6P weapon with heavy pistol ranges, a silencer and ammo capacity of 52.

Still it's a gip to Adepts if others can be just a quick on the draw.
Dayhawk
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 22 2008, 07:03 AM) *

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ABOUT!!!

You know there are alot of references made on this board and not knowing what many of them are, I have to go look them up.

BLEAK!!!!
DocTaotsu
OH GOD MAN! I'm so sorry! But... But I said not to search it! I said it!

Why didn' t you listen... why did you listen...
ArkonC
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 26 2008, 12:33 AM) *

Well you should have known...
At Parsons in NY I helped with an art project where we hung a rope in front of the door with a sign hanging on it that said "DO NOT PULL"...
If you did pull it, a cup of water got dumped on you...
Of course nearly everyone pulled it, unless they saw someone else pull it...
There were even complaints from people who pulled it...
I mean, the sign clearly said not to...
nathanross
2Girls1Cup wasnt that bad. Just imagine it's chocolate Ice cream! biggrin.gif
DocTaotsu
I always thought it looked more like soft serve...

nathanross
Well it did melt pretty quick. facelick.gif
bibliophile20
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 25 2008, 06:33 PM) *

Because it was there smile.gif

QUOTE ('Discworld: Thief of Time')
"No one would be that stu --"
Susan stopped. Of course someone would be that stupid. Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible do it. If you put a switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH," the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
DocTaotsu
Is there a spell that lets you project terrible internet images into peoples minds? Is this a popular hacker past time?

Why don't TM's tear their eyes out more often?

Behold, the horror of putting the matrix straight into your brain pan.
ixombie
First of all, people need to learn how to google. When I heard a reference to that video, I googled, and within about 2 seconds I encountered a description of it, so I didn't have to watch it.

Second of all Doc, it's called desensitization. We already have it now, with a number of people seeing 2girls1cup and saying "meh" on this very board. With snuff BTLs and such floating around everywhere, I don't think people have too much left in the way of sensitivity in Shadowrun. You might fight the last vestiges in prep school corpkid princesses or something, espeically with the (Neal Stephenson borrowed) neo-victorian school of thought...

On the other hand, it's a dystopia. You might say that in a dystopia, people are desensitized and no longer feel the pain of the world, because that's the only way to survive. But then again, if you don't feel the pain, it's not exactly dystopian, is it? wobble.gif
DocTaotsu
That's my take on dystopia. A proper dystopia must thread the line between being just shitty enough for players to still say "Man this is really shitty!" rather than "My character kills himself quietly in the bathroom".

But you're probably right. But hot simming the 2070 version of 2 girls 1 cup would probably still suck for the average person.

I do wonder if the people that "meh" to 2 girls 1 cup are desensitized or just... not fazed by that sort of thing. I mean, I'm rivited by gory medical photography but I know people who can't stand the sight of a needle.

Still you're probably right in 60 years people will have to used to some pretty crazy shit.

In a cup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012