Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [HELP] Shadowrun4 GM'ing Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Tarantula
QUOTE (PalaNolho @ May 2 2008, 01:19 PM) *
Another Question

Spirit Powers

- this affects only 1 target or "all" the enemy targets on LOS at same time ?
- a spirit in the astral plane can aply any power on a creature on the phisical plane?
- if a Materialized spirit i casts a continuous power on the caster then retours to the astral plane, does the effect of the power end on the caster?

thanks

Spirits can affect Force characters with powers at once. Not all.

Spirits can affect their summoners with powers from the astral plane, otherwise they must materialize.

On the caster no. On other characters...... I'm not sure.
Fortune
QUOTE (PalaNolho @ May 3 2008, 05:19 AM) *
- how many focis can he use at same time on a spell. Lets say, he will cast a Sustained spell. Can he use one Foci spellcasting ( to aid on the spellcasting) + foci spellcasting ( to aid on restid drain) + power foci + sustain foci ( tu sustain the spell) ????

Only one Focus can be used for any particular Magic test. It is perfectly valid to cast a spell using a Power Focus, then resist Drain with a Spellcasting Focus (ignoring the mistaken Errata for a moment), then sustain it with a Sustaining Focus. You just can't combine two or more on any one test.

- a power foci can be used to resist DV from spells ?

If you are referring to Drain, then no, it cannot be used in that manner.

a foci can only add the bonus to one roll? ( like the same foci add to the spellcasting and resist DV roll for a spell)

I don't recall any hard and fast rule on this, but I believe that a character can choose to use a Focus to either cast a spell or resist Drain, not both.

- do spirits use edge? in wich situation?

Basically, when the GM decided that they do. No other rules for this, but there are guidelines, like when the Summoner has a history of abusing Spirits and the like.

- can a mage ask a spirit to cast a spell with full power and eged with only one service ?

I don't believe that the summoner has any control over a Spirit's use of Edge. He can request the spell, and might even be able to impress upon the Spirit the urgency of the situation, and press the point that it is important to have maximum Power, but it is still up to the Spirit (or GM).
PalaNolho
Question

Drones
Lone Star iBall: Designed to be tossed or rolled into a room, this minidrone can roll on its own but cannot handle stairs, lips, or large obstructions. An offensive version comes equipped with a built-in flash-pak and smoke grenade for an extra 500¥.

- Every time the drone uses the flash-pak or smoke granade, does the player need to refill it with a normal flash-pak / smoke granade?
- is there any size reference for the drones? im getting dificult to defne the size of micro, smal, etc ...in visual terms.
jklst14
QUOTE (PalaNolho @ May 3 2008, 04:30 PM) *
- Every time the drone uses the flash-pak or smoke granade, does the player need to refill it with a normal flash-pak / smoke granade?
- is there any size reference for the drones? im getting dificult to defne the size of micro, smal, etc ...in visual terms.

1. For the smoke grenade, I would say yes. For the flash-pak, I don't know. The bulbs may be burnt out after a single use or it may be reusable.
2. Arsenal page 102.
Microdrones (Body 0) - Insect sized
Minidrones (Body 1) - Large insect/mouse
Small Drone (Body 2) - Commlink/toaster to small dog sized
Medium Drone (Body 3) - Large dog to human to motorcycle
Large Drone (Body 4) - Motorcycle to small car
PalaNolho
Another Question

Firearms Equipment
Silencer: ... A silencer can only be used with single-shot or semi-automatic weapons (and not with revolvers). It applies a –4 dice pool modifier on all Perception Tests to notice the weapon’s use or locate the weapon’s firer....

- does this mean that only weapons that ONLY shoot in SS or SA can use ir OR that any weapon CAPABLE OF shooting in SS or SA can use it?
- for instances, Ceska Black Scorpion (SA/BF) can it benefit from Silencer? what about Steyr TMP (SA/BF/FA) ???

Thanks
Fortune
Machine Pistols and Submachine guns require a Sound Suppressor instead of a Silencer. Non-revolver pistols and SA or SS (only) rifles use a Silencer, while BF or FA class weapons use a Suppressor.
PalaNolho
Guys (or girls) ... you are great biggrin.gif this thread as become my SR bible ( sort of lol )

thanks alot ^_^
PalaNolho
Question

- is there any restriction for the FOCI object? for instances, cna a Piercing be a FOCI? or an earing? or a ring, etc...
- what about fetiches?

Thanks
Crusher Bob
The difficulty in enchanting foci is based on the object resistance (OR) of the original device. So, for example, enchanting a commlink as a power focus would be possible, but difficult, as the commlink has a high base OR. Thus, basic foci designs tend to be simple, durable, and low OR designs. Stuff like jewelry, small bits of metal, etc are common. There is no RAW limitation about the minimum size of the focus, tough by convention, more powerful foci are more ornate, etc. And yes, earings have been made into foci in canon.

From what I remember of the requirements for re-usable fetishes, they had to have 3 distinct characteristics. So something like: a foot long wand of holly with 'grofaz' carved into the side and having a piece of amethyst bound to the tip would work fine. Then, if you lost the fetish, you had to get another one with the same 3 distinct characteristics.
Fortune
There is no real restrictions as far as exactly what items can be enchanted into Foci is concerned. Keep in mind though, that OR is important during the Enchanting process, as the more highly-processed the base item, the harder it is to enchant it successfully.
Fortune
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ May 4 2008, 09:41 PM) *
From what I remember of the requirements for re-usable fetishes, they had to have 3 distinct characteristics. So something like: a foot long wand of holly with 'grofaz' carved into the side and having a piece of amethyst bound to the tip would work fine. Then, if you lost the fetish, you had to get another one with the same 3 distinct characteristics.

As far as I know, what you describe is actually the requirements for a Talisman, not a Fetish.
Crusher Bob
This is why monowhip weapon foci are the especial cheese. Because the monowhip has such a high OR, it's quite difficult to enchant, though with the changes in rules from variable TN to fixed TN, enchanting the monowhip weapon focus is probably much easier.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Fortune @ May 4 2008, 07:45 PM) *
As far as I know, what you describe is actually the requirements for a Talisman, not a Fetish.

Erm, which ones were talismans, again?
Fortune
A Talisman is an item that meets the requirements for using Geasa.
PalaNolho
Then, if i get right,
- Focis and Fetichs can be any object.
- I presume that Fetich items are reusable right ?

regards.

Fortune
Correct on both points. smile.gif
PalaNolho
Greetings everyone, long time no see smile.gif How have you been?

Here am i again, with a question. An the question is... ( please some one sound the drums ... )

Melee Combat:
- is it possible in any way to make 2 melee attacks in one IP?
- is it possible to use, for example, a sword in each hand and attack with each one like we do with guns??

One of my players is making a troll with implants that make him take "immune" to physical damage or it will only take Stun damage (something like that, when i have the precise cyberware/equipment ill poist the details)

- is this possible? how can i go arround it in game? suggestions?

Regards and thanks in advance.

Aaron
QUOTE (PalaNolho @ May 14 2008, 05:27 AM) *
Greetings everyone, long time no see smile.gif How have you been?
Here am i again, with a question. An the question is... ( please some one sound the drums ... )
Melee Combat:
- is it possible in any way to make 2 melee attacks in one IP?
- is it possible to use, for example, a sword in each hand and attack with each one like we do with guns??

That's more than one question.

The answer is yes. You split your dice pool and use each portion for each attack. The specifics are in Arsenal.

One of my players is making a troll with implants that make him take "immune" to physical damage or it will only take Stun damage (something like that, when i have the precise cyberware/equipment ill poist the details)

Why would you want to go around it, assuming the player is actually using stuff from the rules? I mean, this is what the player wants his character's schtick to be. Would you want to build a character around a certain premise and have your GM actively try to work around that premise? Wouldn't you prefer to be allowed to have fun with your build?

But if the goal is, indeed, to disappoint and frustrate your player, then I'd recommend high AP weaponry, flamethrowers, and Direct Combat spells.
PalaNolho
QUOTE (Aaron @ May 14 2008, 03:00 PM) *
That's more than one question.

The answer is yes. You split your dice pool and use each portion for each attack. The specifics are in Arsenal.

Why would you want to go around it, assuming the player is actually using stuff from the rules? I mean, this is what the player wants his character's schtick to be. Would you want to build a character around a certain premise and have your GM actively try to work around that premise? Wouldn't you prefer to be allowed to have fun with your build?

But if the goal is, indeed, to disappoint and frustrate your player, then I'd recommend high AP weaponry, flamethrowers, and Direct Combat spells.

You got a point, but i think i didnt explain correcly my intentions. I mean, the objective of the game is to have fun, but there is no perfect/immortal character. And its no fun ( i think) if they can pass all the challanges without much swet (a good challange is more fun no?)
Im new to GMing so im trying to learn how to handle this situations. No intention to frustrate the players smile.gif
Nightwalker450
QUOTE (PalaNolho @ May 14 2008, 05:27 AM) *

I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless he has the Pain Editor as well. Trolls have much lower Stun tracks then they do physical tracks, so in the end he'll go down easier. You just have to deal enough damage to get it to stick... Speaking of stick, there's always tasers and Stick-n-Shock biggrin.gif
PalaNolho
How long can the pain editor be active? and how do you active it?( free, simple or complex action?)
One more thing,

Fetiches:
- one fetich can be used for all spells of a given type ( Combat for example) or the character must have a specific fetich for each spell (like one for manabolt, another to ignite, etc...)

Thanks for the help biggrin.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (PalaNolho @ May 14 2008, 09:41 AM) *
You got a point, but i think i didnt explain correcly my intentions. I mean, the objective of the game is to have fun, but there is no perfect/immortal character. And its no fun ( i think) if they can pass all the challanges without much swet (a good challange is more fun no?)
Im new to GMing so im trying to learn how to handle this situations. No intention to frustrate the players smile.gif

After *mumblemumble* years of GMing Shadowrun, my suggestion would be to not bother with it. In situations it which the character will excel, he will excel. In situations in which the character will have trouble, he will have trouble. It will come up; no worries.

Also, don't forget that Mr. Johnson actually talks to people like fixers and others before hiring the team. Mr. J. has objectives, and he/she/it/they will hire a team that can achieve those objectives.
PalaNolho
Some more questions

Pain Editor:
- How long can the pain editor be active? and how do you active it?( free, simple or complex action?)

Fetiches:
- one fetich can be used for all spells of a given type ( Combat for example) or the character must have a specific fetich for each spell (like one for manabolt, another to ignite, etc...)

Skillwire and Skillsoft:
"Skillwire systems allow the use of activesofts with a rating up to the skillwire rating. A skillwire system can handle a number of skillsofts with a total rating equal to its own rating x 2. Changing the current selection of skillsofts takes one Simple Action."

- lets say. i have Skillwire(3). i may have 2 autosoft(3) or 6 autosoft(1). Correct?
- how does the "Changing the current selection of skillsofts" work? the user has an data connector, places a "disc" inside and load the new set of skillsofts?
- once on the skillwire the autosofts are allways active right?

Thanks in advance.
Crusher Bob
Pain Editor:
No real rules here. If I had to make the ruling myself, I'd say it can stay on indefinitely and is a 'non-action' to activate, just like you never have to spend and action to turn on your wired reflexes, or spend an action to you use your low light vision.

Fetiches:
Rules for fetishes not as well developed in 4th Ed, but I think it's the character's choice.

Skillwire and Skillsoft:
You could be storing a copy of the skill softs in the skillwires themselves (esentially unlimited data storage), but actually changing the skillsofts that are loaded up takes a simple action. If you are storing the skillsofts somewhere else, then your skillwires interface with that somewhere else either by wireless or skinlink. But really, it's safe to assume that a copy of the skillsofts are stored on the wires themselves, unless there is a reason for them not to be (just got out of prison, just got hacked, etc). If that is the case, you connect to your remote storage location via the matrix and spend a moment downloading the skillsofts again.

Fortune
QUOTE (PalaNolho @ May 15 2008, 05:53 PM) *
- once on the skillwire the autosofts are allways active right?

Nitpick: Skillsofts! Not Autosofts. Autosofts are for vehicles/drones.
PalaNolho
QUOTE (Fortune @ May 15 2008, 09:46 AM) *
Nitpick: Skillsofts! Not Autosofts. Autosofts are for vehicles/drones.

right, that ! lol

its sill too much soft to my starting GM head nyahnyah.gif ( i think i need a cerebral booster)

oh no .. im starting to make game jokes ... IM DOOMED

biggrin.gif
PalaNolho
Bone Density Augmentation:
- does it efectivly increse the BODY or it just gives the a RATING bonus to body on Damage Resist Tests?

thanks
Wasabi
Its there in the description. It adds to Body "for damage resistance tests."
PalaNolho
Question:
- At character creation, the rule for Atribut purshes "Also, characters cannot have more than one attribute at their natural maximum." apply only to physical and mental attributs OR Magic and Edge are included for this maximum too??

Thanks
ArkonC
QUOTE (PalaNolho @ May 15 2008, 02:04 PM) *
Question:
- At character creation, the rule for Atribut purshes "Also, characters cannot have more than one attribute at their natural maximum." apply only to physical and mental attributs OR Magic and Edge are included for this maximum too??

Thanks

Since it's under the header of Physical/Mental Attributes, I'd say it only applies to those...
PalaNolho
Question

Sustaining Focis
- how does a Sustaining Foci stops sustanning a spell or is disrupted? ( voluntary or involuntary)
- how long can a Sutaining Focis sustain a spell?

thanks
DireRadiant
p. 191

"A character must activate a focus before it can be used. It
takes a Simple Action to activate a focus, but requires no action
to use or apply. Weapon foci require a Complex Action to
use like any other melee weapon. Deactivating a focus is a Free
Action and can be done at any time.'

Free action to stop sustaining the spell by the caster, either dropping the spell, or deactivating teh focus

Counterspelling p. 176

"Counterspelling also allows a magician to dispel a sustained
or quickened spell, canceling its eff ect. Th e character
must be on the same plane, must be able to perceive the spell
she is targeting, and must use a Complex Action."

You can also attack the focus astrally which deactivates the focus, or can destroy it depending on how it is attacked (Energy Drain for example).

e.g. Passing through Barriers p. 186

Spells are sustained until dropped, dispelled, or the focus deactivated or destroyed.

PalaNolho
Grettings everyone. Here i am again with lots of tricky questions biggrin.gif (hopefully this questions will be helpful to other persons too)

Last Night we had sessin and some questions came to the table.

Magic
The mage started to cast combat spells and it looked like that spellcasting was too powerfull or we were doing something wrong. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Combat spells (lets say a Direct Spell)
- mage chooses a force. Then makes a spellcasting check oposed by body/will (depepending if M or P type spell)
The hits scored co the Spellcasting oposed test is the minimun between rolled Hits and Force choosen
IF the spellcaster gets AT LEAST ONE NET HIT the spell takes effect, if not, it has no effect on the target.
If the Spellcasting is a sucess, then the Target take CHOOSEN FORCE + NET HITS damage boxes
Is this correct, or am i doing anything wrong? (it looks very powerfull and capable of killing jut anything sarcastic.gif)

Invisibility
One of my players casts an great invisibility spell on him and Starts attacking the NPC with a monofilament whip.
Does the NPC can dodge the attack (i.e, oposed attack/defence test)?
What if he was shooting a gun?

If the target is completly anaware of the attack, the attacker still roll attack and sum ALL HITS to the DV of the attack, OR ir gives the standard weapon damage?

Can a mage use Invisible Spell + Inviltration? how does it work? (if you are tryingto moove silently or to move unseen)

Well .. this was the main debate of the last session. If anyone can help, i would be apreciated

Thanks in Advance!! smile.gif
Crusher Bob
Yes, you have the rules for direct combat spells down pat. If you are a high magic mage, and want to whip out a force 9+ spell, then it will basically toast someone if you get 1 net hit. On the other hand, even a force 9 stunbolt is going to have 3P drain, even if you have 12dice to resist the drain, you take some damage around 18% of the time. Ramp that up to a force 9 manaball and you are looking at 6 drain, which you fully resist with 12 dice only around 18% of the time. Compared to just whipping out a grenade launcher and shooting twice, its not that great. Since the GL will cause about the same amount of damage (i.e. death) but will not cause you any drain. In addition, the astral signature for a spell with high force will stick around for a while. While grenade fragments are just grenade fragments.

Remember also that visibility modifiers effect spellcasting as well, so you are probably looking at a few dice off for lighting and cover.

For attacks that you are completely unaware of, you don't get even your passive defense. So you just total up the attackers hits to add to the base DV of the weapon he is using. Note that one someone has shot or cut you once, you can hardly be completely unaware of their presence. Note that if you are in combat already, I'd assume that you are moving around a lot already, so you may want to give the attacked guy his regular defense against the invisible guy anyway. But if you are just walking around and suddenly there is an invisible guy laying into you, you don't get to defend.

You still have body odor, make noises, set off pressure sensors, etc while invisible, so infiltration tests should be made to reduce the noises you make moving around. The advantage of being invisible is that hearing has a much shorter range than sight. Note that invisibility is a common thing in 2070, so expect any competently setup security system to have multiple ways of finding invisible guys.
Cain
One of my players casts an great invisibility spell on him and Starts attacking the NPC with a monofilament whip.
Does the NPC can dodge the attack (i.e, oposed attack/defence test)?
What if he was shooting a gun?

If the target is completly anaware of the attack, the attacker still roll attack and sum ALL HITS to the DV of the attack, OR ir gives the standard weapon damage?

Can a mage use Invisible Spell + Inviltration? how does it work? (if you are tryingto moove silently or to move unseen)

We had a thread on this recently.

Basically, if the invisible attacker has surprise, the other guy doesn't get to defend. However, invisibility does not equal surprise. If someone disappears before your eyes, you know he's coming for you. In that case, you apply the -6 Blind Fire modifier if in ranged combat, and the suggested house rule to to also use that in melee. Also note that when attacking an invisible opponent at range, you roll Ranged + Intuition instead of Ranged + Quickness. Some people here suggest doing a similar thing in melee.
PalaNolho
hmmm i can always use Astral Perception to see the insible enemy right ?
and while Astrally Perceving he can still shoot at the invisible enemy ( with a -2 modifier) or cast spells on him with mo penalty, right ?
Fortune
You would still have to deal with some Visibility (and Cover) modifiers when using Astral Perception/Projection.

For example, darkness isn't as much of a factor, but things like smoke are still opaque when viewed via the Astral.
MaxHunter
but, yes, astral perception sees invisible people. Happened last session in my game.

Incidentally, at my gaming groups we have decided to up the drain of direct combat spells by +1 (or was it +2?, i think 1...) to make them more balanced in our eyes to indirect combat spells...

Cheers,

Max
PalaNolho
Greetings everyone.
I've looked on the book but didnt found my answer so, here's the question:

Contacts
- how can a character improve the loyalty and connection of a contact he posesses ?

loyalty i can imagin (some roleplay, some favors, some help and it will improve) but connections, anyone has any idea ?

thanks in advance.

Wesley Street
Connections can't be improved, at least not in any way that would make sense in-game. If your local weapons dealer isn't working out, dump him and pay your fixer to find you a better one.
PalaNolho
and if the fixes is not working out too?
what about if they need a fixer with better connections?

, thanks
Fortune
A Contact's Connection Rating reflect's that Contact's (not the character's) 'network' or influence. Typically, things would have to change in the Contact's life for his Connection Rating to change. As such, this kind of thing is typically pretty much in the hands of the GM, but I'm sure that imaginative and motivated characters could lend a hand to help their Contacts 'move up' in the world.
Wesley Street
That's where the GM needs to show some flexibility with the fixer's connections ratings. How I handle that kind of thing is to have one of my players pay the fixer an exorbitant amount of nuyen and the fixer can then grease some gears and introduce a new, higher-connection contact. But this should be done sparingly and with solid reasons. It wouldn't make sense for a fixer who specializes in magical gear to have the number for a military-grade gun runner in his Rolodex.
Nightwalker450
When I was GMing, one of my runners had a Lone Star officer of connection 1 as a contact. He's fed this contact some tips on a recent attack at a Stuffer Shack (Food Fight 4.0). With the only stipulation being that he didn't want to be pulled in for anything (he did decent enough at staying out of camera sight). The officer is now on the edge of a promotion, and will probably get a connection upgrade soon.
JeffSz
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Jun 2 2008, 09:16 AM) *
Mouse-Over for Acronym Definitions
BBB, RAW, NERPS
FFBA, PPP
IIRC

Finally I know what IIRC means.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Jun 2 2008, 10:16 AM) *
When I was GMing, one of my runners had a Lone Star officer of connection 1 as a contact. He's fed this contact some tips on a recent attack at a Stuffer Shack (Food Fight 4.0). With the only stipulation being that he didn't want to be pulled in for anything (he did decent enough at staying out of camera sight). The officer is now on the edge of a promotion, and will probably get a connection upgrade soon.

Hey, that's a great idea for any contact who is part of a large bureaucratic organization. Thanks! smile.gif
Nightwalker450
You can also have some of the "I need you to do me a favor" side missions, that as a result up the contacts connection. One of the other people I'm running with right now, keeps trying to get drugs for one of his dealer contacts. He's trying to get a more powerful and higher connected list of friends. I don't know how well its working for him (so far he's been caught in one drug bust biggrin.gif but nothing more than fined, and it was on foreign soil anyways)
PalaNolho
How do you usually handle the contacts? i mean, the knowledges that the contacts have nad ranks. You let the PCs create the contact using the character build process? you tell hte players to choose from the "exemple ones" from the BBB?

Also, about legwork, when the PC contact the contact, then usually make the questions by commlink or they need to arrange a meeting?
the NPC are only able to give answers for free on topics related with their knowlege skills or for any information?

Im trying to flesh out the NPC a little mor, because right now, we are using them as a streight forward aprouch ( contact him, make questions any question, he answers depending on the roll, for mor information he will search and they will have to pay)

Any ideas/suggestions/tips/anything? smile.gif

Thanks in advance.
Crusher Bob
One of the simplest ways to give some life to contacts is have them call you every now and them. So maybe your guys needs some muscle for something, or wants your expert opinion, or is just having a unicorn BBQ and wants to know if you want to show up.
Ryu
Give your NPCs some life by adding standard procedures. Ie some will only meet in the matrix, some will never do that, some will always meet in the same place, some in different parts of town.

Connect the connections to each other. Syndicate connection, family, friends... you ask one contact for something, and a close friend of said contact calls you with an offer or requests a meet.

In our campaigns, there are GM and player-made contacts.
- as the GM, I provide quite a large set of contacts everyone knows depending on what fits the backstory, for free. Use it or loose it. The idea is to get an overall smaller set of contacts more time in the spotlight. There is no need for two fixers and one streetdoc PER PLAYER, that is just information overload.
- the players can make up their own contacts, but those are not free and still subject to my approval. If they did not write even a few lines on them, I get to flesh them out.

On a contact you need:
Name, Place of Living/Center of Operations
Faction allegiances
Physical Description
Standard Operational Procedures

Example:
Justin Right, Snohomish/Redmond
Mafia (Finnigan)
middle aged human, well-groomed
Operates a weapons shop in Redmond, has illegal stuff in warehouses rather than in the shop, does not touch milspec

I know where the NPC can usually be found, he knows and cares about the groups mafia connections, contacts from his mafia family refer to him when asked about weapons. The more often he is used by the players, the more detailed the information about him gets.
I even hand out the baseline information to my players, as it helps them interact with the available contacts and fleshes the gameworld out. Their sheet has the information they are supposed to know; I as the GM might have decided that good old Justin is secretly working with the Vory, but they have to find out.
Now if you need more than Justin wants to deliver, he will still know where you can search for the goods. Assume that each contact knows people within the same or a connected area of expertise - the big fish, competition, small-timers. He´ll help you if you make it worth his while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012