Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You know you are a SR geek when...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tyro
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 10 2011, 04:44 PM) *
...there is a small dictionary of UK Shadowspeak in the old London Sourcebook along with a small translation table between UCAS and "King's English".

For example:

Baldric: Orc (Derogatory)
Box (v.): Geek
(the) Box: (n.): the Telly or a Computer
Ken: Corporate Wageslave (Derogatory)
Pixie: Elf (Derogatory)
Sep: UCAS Citizen (Derogatory)
Squid: Troll (Derogatory)
Swiss: Expensive

The Polish Shadowrun Wiki site has a fairly large lexicon of Shadowspeak including slang from other nations.

Shadowrun Slang

...yeah I'm an SR geek I guess.

Intersting. I only get about half the references, I'm afraid frown.gif
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 07:42 PM) *
*wince*

I use a Samsung Seek with Boost Mobile, so probably 3ish.

Mine is a Samsung! lol It rings when someone calls and it holds the grand whopping 13 phone numbers I need it to. And it has a tip calculator (( Not that I need it, but it's nifty)). I don't need bells and whistles on my phone. I have an Ipad.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 04:45 PM) *
Intersting. I only get about half the references, I'm afraid frown.gif

...yeah I've had a fair amount of exposure to things British.

I learned "Queen's "English and studied British culture when I was young as my mum was looking to emigrate to the UK to get my brothers out of the Vietnam draft (Canada was not as a safe a bet). My teacher's in school hated it at first but eventually realised my English was more "proper" than what the rest of the kids were using. Never did well in spelling bees though (words like "paediatric" and "programme" just aren't spelled the same way here). Unfortunately the economy in the UK at the time made it very difficult for a single mom with a fairly mundane job & 3 teenagers to qualify for entry other than as tourists.

I also had a flat mate who was from the UK when I was in college.

The last major campaign I GM'd was set in the UK and Europe. Had a lot of fun with the NPC personalities, and news stories on "Beeb" (BBC). I found it so easy to fall into a "natural" rather than theatrical accent with the proper inflections it became scary to the players.
Tyro
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 10 2011, 03:46 PM) *
Mine is a Samsung! lol It rings when someone calls and it holds the grand whopping 13 phone numbers I need it to. And it has a tip calculator (( Not that I need it, but it's nifty)). I don't need bells and whistles on my phone. I have an Ipad.

I'm very poor and don't have a working laptop or ipad. Web access is EXTREMELY handy when you need a bus schedule nyahnyah.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (faultline @ Oct 3 2008, 06:40 AM) *
Well, truth be told the other day I was at work doing a whole lot of nothing during a slow period, and actually was wishing I had a comlink and AR capabilities.

I want a cyber commlink,with SIM module built in, cybereyes, and cyberears. I don't want to frak with AR gloves, glasses, and ear buds.

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 10 2011, 06:46 PM) *

I got a Nook Color... which I then proceeded to rip out the stock OS and put in Cyanogen Mod 7 (Android 2.3) and have the CPU overclocked to 1100 MHz. Turns a nice little E-Reader into a nifty little tablet.
Tyro
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 10 2011, 05:45 PM) *
<snip>
I got a Nook Color... which I then proceeded to rip out the stock OS and put in Cyanogen Mod 7 (Android 2.3) and have the CPU overclocked to 1100 MHz. Turns a nice little E-Reader into a nifty little tablet.

Do you know of a good alternative OS for a Samsung Seek which works with Boost Mobile as a provider?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 09:23 PM) *
Do you know of a good alternative OS for a Samsung Seek which works with Boost Mobile as a provider?

Unlocking your phone and changing the OS SHOULDN'T* affect who your provider is. I'll have to do research, but the site I went to get info on changing out my OS is XDA Forums. They helped me out quite a bit.

* == like Pepsi, I have a nice little tablet, but my phone is a dumb phone. I just don't have the need for a phone that does everything. That being said, I don't know if "jail-breaking" your phone will affect your carrier service.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 05:42 PM) *
Web access is EXTREMELY handy when you need a bus schedule nyahnyah.gif

...down here in Portland it is the same. Tri Met stopped posting schedules at corner bus stops and only puts up the stop ID number which can be called in or texted to their "Transit Tracker". A real pain for those who don't have wireless or cell phones.

I am considering suggesting that they offer a low cost mobile device that is "hardwired" to only receive their online schedule and "Transit Tracker" service. For a one time purchase of say 50$, I'd get one for it would make commuting so much easier and save me an extra monthly bill as I have little other use for wireless/cell phone service.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 08:42 PM) *
I'm very poor and don't have a working laptop or ipad. Web access is EXTREMELY handy when you need a bus schedule nyahnyah.gif

It has it. I just won't use it. I'm pretty poor too. I used a tax return to buy my Ipad. smile.gif
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 10:23 PM) *

Just note that doing such to a nook or your electronics runs a high risk of "Bricking" them. I.E. making them break and being as useful as.. a brick. Even if you do it 100% Right.

Be careful and be wiling to lose the entire thing, on the whims of the universe if you try this route.

And everyone is talking about redoing the nook color. Do NOT think that B&N Hasn't seen it. They're going to be putting out something ASAP to cut that off.
Tyro
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 10 2011, 08:07 PM) *
Just note that doing such to a nook or your electronics runs a high risk of "Bricking" them. I.E. making them break and being as useful as.. a brick. Even if you do it 100% Right.

Be careful and be wiling to lose the entire thing, on the whims of the universe if you try this route.

And everyone is talking about redoing the nook color. Do NOT think that B&N Hasn't seen it. They're going to be putting out something ASAP to cut that off.

What's wrong with redoing something's color?

If it's that risky, screw it; I can't afford a new phone.
Kyoto Kid
...ctd.

...when you are heading to the corner convenience mart and say your off to the Stuffer Shack to get a couple Nukit Burritos and a six pack of Spud Lite.

...when you royally screw something important up and wish you had Karma Pool to burn for that automatic success.

...when you assess the skill level of others using rating points.
Tyro
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 10 2011, 10:22 PM) *
...ctd.

Crash to desktop?
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 11:24 PM) *
What's wrong with redoing something's color?

If it's that risky, screw it; I can't afford a new phone.

No no the "Nook Color" (( as a version of the Nook B&N's ebook reader)) is the one that people have been hacking to turn into a cheep tablet PC. A "wanna be Ipad"

The "Way" to hack it can be found online.

I was saying, be careful. Even if you follow the steps, step by step 100% correctly, the thing just breaks a percentage of the time.

And you end up with a dead peice of electronics that does absolutely nothing.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 10 2011, 10:22 PM) *
...ctd.

QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 10 2011, 10:25 PM) *
Crash to desktop?

...just trying to get the original train of thought back on the rails again.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 11 2011, 12:59 AM) *
No no the "Nook Color" (( as a version of the Nook B&N's ebook reader)) is the one that people have been hacking to turn into a cheep tablet PC. A "wanna be Ipad"

The "Way" to hack it can be found online.

I was saying, be careful. Even if you follow the steps, step by step 100% correctly, the thing just breaks a percentage of the time.

And you end up with a dead peice of electronics that does absolutely nothing.

There is nothing "Cheap" about a Nook Color. I just didn't want to spend hundreds more for an iPad that doesn't have expansion capabilities. What's the size of the SD card in your iPad Pepsi? Oh, wait, I forgot, like a Shadowrun Mega, Apple wants you to buy their next iteration of their device. I can expand my tablet. I got a 16 GB card and if I want to, in the future, I can get a 32 GB card.

Pepsi... you're stuck with whatever overpriced gizmo Apple says is good for you... just like a Shadowrun Mega selling to wageslaves.

You're also wrong about bricking the device. The modders have thrown almost everything at it and it did not brick. Also, B&N hasn't done anything to stop the modders. They like the fact that the Nook Color is getting so much free press.

B&N are not like the Megas in Shadowrun. They are not out to screw the little man over.
Inncubi
QUOTE (TKDNinjaInBlack @ Oct 4 2008, 04:21 PM) *
yeah, likewise when people thought I was psychotic for riding my bike 20 miles round trip to work during the summer or walking home 7 miles from a party when I was too drunk to drive. People can't seem to comprehend expending effort to survive. Survival loosely exaggerated as we all well know that in this day and age, even the dumbest and most inept will survive and social darwinism and natural selection have been halted by society.

Well, I can say that where I live its actually safer to drive drunk, even very drunk, than walk 7 miles at night while drunk. The first can end up in a crash, which is survivable with your safety belt on. The second... a couple knife wounds to the belly and bleed on the ground. I know which chances I'd take in my case, with the same argument that you espouse.

As a caveat: If I'm driving, I'm not drinking. biggrin.gif

Back to topic: I check for exits, sit with my back to walls in restaurants and always check for cameras and their blindspots.

Usually I can concoct a half-decent plan in how to break in, break out, fortify or escape a building. Any building.
Extra points for me, when they're over 10 stories high.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 11 2011, 05:21 AM) *
There is nothing "Cheap" about a Nook Color. I just didn't want to spend hundreds more for an iPad that doesn't have expansion capabilities. What's the size of the SD card in your iPad Pepsi? Oh, wait, I forgot, like a Shadowrun Mega, Apple wants you to buy their next iteration of their device. I can expand my tablet. I got a 16 GB card and if I want to, in the future, I can get a 32 GB card.

Pepsi... you're stuck with whatever overpriced gizmo Apple says is good for you... just like a Shadowrun Mega selling to wageslaves.

You're also wrong about bricking the device. The modders have thrown almost everything at it and it did not brick. Also, B&N hasn't done anything to stop the modders. They like the fact that the Nook Color is getting so much free press.

B&N are not like the Megas in Shadowrun. They are not out to screw the little man over.

Mine? is 64gb... so... 4 times the size of your getto one. And it does alot of stuff yours doesn't and can't. It's good if you're cheep and want to risk throwing money down the drain and want to feel all superior and pirate stuff. But if yours glitches at all. You can't do anything about it. As you've 'broken' it just to get it to work the way you're using it. ____ANYTHING____ Happens to yours and you're out all the money you've put into it. Mine? If anything happens, I can get it fixed. There's constant support for it and it's an excellent product.
"
Yours... is a poor lame nock off that you've jurry rigged to get to work in a rough approximation. If that's good for you. Great.

I prefer the real thing.

And I'm not wrong about Bricking the device. I've seen about three forums threads (( All on RPG forums that is pretty telling)) about that exact thing. Sometimes it simply doesn't work. So you're out a few hundred bucks in total, Instead of saving a few hundred, in buying a real tablet.

But hey, what ever floats your boat. If you want to buy an ereader and try and jury rig it to be a cheep tablet that's about a fourth as useful for about half the price... go ahead. I'm one of those people that pay for quality and my stuff works, right, every time.
Tyro
I'm not THAT bad, but I get nervous if I sit with my back to a door in a public place or a place unfamiliar to me.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 11 2011, 07:09 PM) *
I'm not THAT bad, but I get nervous if I sit with my back to a door in a public place or a place unfamiliar to me.

The lovely girl I'm with always takes the door that faces the exits, so I've taken to reading her facial cues as she tends to be more perceptive than I am.
nezumi
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Apr 11 2011, 02:11 PM) *
The lovely girl I'm with always takes the door that faces the exits, so I've taken to reading her facial cues as she tends to be more perceptive than I am.

Smart fellow. I realize my wife is a better shot than I am, and I'm more likely to shrug off injuries than her, so ... I guess that's where I'm cut out to be.

I also search for security cameras, exits and 'authorized personnel only' areas, which is a good habit for GMs, but a bad habit for players. (Don't search them out - keep your head down so you're less likely to be caught by those cameras.)
Doc Chase
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 11 2011, 07:15 PM) *
Smart fellow. I realize my wife is a better shot than I am, and I'm more likely to shrug off injuries than her, so ... I guess that's where I'm cut out to be.

I also search for security cameras, exits and 'authorized personnel only' areas, which is a good habit for GMs, but a bad habit for players. (Don't search them out - keep your head down so you're less likely to be caught by those cameras.)

I wear fedoras. When questioned, people remember the hat and not the face under it.
ggodo
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 11 2011, 10:52 AM) *
Mine? is 64gb... so... 4 times the size of your getto one. And it does alot of stuff yours doesn't and can't. It's good if you're cheep and want to risk throwing money down the drain and want to feel all superior and pirate stuff. But if yours glitches at all. You can't do anything about it. As you've 'broken' it just to get it to work the way you're using it. ____ANYTHING____ Happens to yours and you're out all the money you've put into it. Mine? If anything happens, I can get it fixed. There's constant support for it and it's an excellent product.
"
Yours... is a poor lame nock off that you've jurry rigged to get to work in a rough approximation. If that's good for you. Great.

I prefer the real thing.

And I'm not wrong about Bricking the device. I've seen about three forums threads (( All on RPG forums that is pretty telling)) about that exact thing. Sometimes it simply doesn't work. So you're out a few hundred bucks in total, Instead of saving a few hundred, in buying a real tablet.

But hey, what ever floats your boat. If you want to buy an ereader and try and jury rig it to be a cheep tablet that's about a fourth as useful for about half the price... go ahead. I'm one of those people that pay for quality and my stuff works, right, every time.

Sounds like your team needs a decent hacker.
Whipstitch
Yeesh.
KarmaInferno
I'm not gettin a tablet until I find one that can run regular commercial software without any special hacks*, has a massive battery life, and is light enough to carry around on a daily basis. Ideally I can plug in a keyboard and play WoW on it too. A swappable battery would be acceptable in lieu of massive battery life.

That pretty much rules out anything iPhone/iPad or Android.

Yes, I plan on also using it when I go out to conventions to play Shadowrun Missions. PDFs for the game books and a spreadsheet for character sheet.

smile.gif

-k

* - As I use engineering software, and those engineering software companies have no apparent interest at all in developing for anything except Windows, this would have to mean either a Windows platform or a MacOS platform with Windows dual-boot.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 11 2011, 01:52 PM) *

I think, like many hacker-types, Kitsune would prefer to fix his own problems, than be beholden to someone else to fix it for him. There is a strong self-sufficiency ethic in many folks who hack and tweak this kinda thing.

It's a difference in philosophy. You can take the "everything included" package where you don't have to worry to much about the mechancs under the hood, it just works, and you have tech support for problems. But you are stuck with whatever the official formats and such are, and are dependent on others.

Or you can do it yourself, get as much or little customization as you want, but have to accept that you're probably on your own without a warranty.

Some guys buy cars and don't want to think about how they run, just take it in for service when they need it. Other guys like to get their hands dirty and customize and fix the car themselves.

It's all up to preference. Neither view is correct or incorrect.

-k
ggodo
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 11 2011, 12:57 PM) *
As I use engineering software, and those engineering software companies have no apparent interest at all in developing for anything except Windows, this would have to mean either a Windows platform or a MacOS platform with Windows dual-boot.

I can relate to that, I'm an Engineering student, whose school filled the Engineering labs with Macs, that all boot Windows without all the necessary drivers to render anything. It's really an interesting frustration point for many of us students. I also want to know where the last batch of computers went, because those worked much better.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 11 2011, 09:57 PM) *
I'm not gettin a tablet until I find one that can run regular commercial software without any special hacks*, has a massive battery life, and is light enough to carry around on a daily basis. Ideally I can plug in a keyboard and play WoW on it too. A swappable battery would be acceptable in lieu of massive battery life.

Your basic problem will be that Windows and battery life do not make for a good combo. Even less so when third party software gets involved.

Still, Acer have this coming out soon: http://www.netbooknews.com/23337/acer-icon...pping-april-15/
crash2029
A couple of years ago I was in a pre-surgery consultation for some cranial surgery to remove a tumor. As my family was sitting there aghast at the notion of me going under the knife I quipped that maybe they could put a datajack in there while they had me open. My family pretty much simultaneously rolled their eyes and groaned. The doc just looked puzzled.
Tyro
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Apr 11 2011, 03:25 PM) *
A couple of years ago I was in a pre-surgery consultation for some cranial surgery to remove a tumor. As my family was sitting there aghast at the notion of me going under the knife I quipped that maybe they could put a datajack in there while they had me open. My family pretty much simultaneously rolled their eyes and groaned. The doc just looked puzzled.

Awesome ^_^
Bigity
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Apr 11 2011, 05:25 PM) *

If you can't crack lame SR jokes when you are about to have your skull opened, then you just ain't SR geeky enough.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Apr 11 2011, 03:25 PM) *

...slammin' grinbig.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 11 2011, 07:17 PM) *
If you can't crack lame SR jokes when you are about to have your skull opened, then you just ain't SR geeky enough.

Sounds like the perfect time for jokes to me.
hobgoblin
Yep, an inability to crack jokes in such times may suggest a problem imo.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 11 2011, 12:52 PM) *

First off, I do NOT pirate. I would like you to apologize to me about this. You have no right to say that without knowing anything about me.

Second, I know enough that if something happens I can fix it.

Third, I can buy a Nook and then in a few more years buy a new one AND STILL HAVE MONEY LEFT OVER!

I prefer the real thing.

The real thing... that's a laugh. The real thing is anything that works. Like a Shadowrunner, I take the hardware and make it work for me, rather than being a wageslave and buying overpriced items from some Megacorp who thinks that they know better than me what I need. Apple is a cult and like any cult, they have their... fans.

You got your information about Nooks being bricked on a RPG forum... grinbig.gif Yup, those guys really know tech! ohplease.gif

Just like you don't go to the doctor to get your car fixed, or to your mechanic to get your teeth cleaned (unless of course you have cyberteeth, but then you have a whole different world of problems). You don't go to a RPG forum to get your computer (or tablet) fixed. You go to a tech forum.

Now to correct your misinformed opinion about the Nook being a "cheap Getto tablet". I will assume you have an first gen iPad since you said about having this iPad back a while ago. If you have an iPad 2 then the stats are a little better in your direction.

Nook Color
  1. processor: ARM Cortex A8 overclocked to 1.1 GHz with PowerVR SGX 530
  2. RAM: 512 MB
  3. SD Card slot: Can take upto a 32 GB microSD card
  4. Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600 @ 170 ppi
  5. Size: 7 inches
  6. Operating System: Cyanogen Mod 7 w/ tablet tweaks (Android 2.3.3)

Apple iPad
  1. Processor: Apple A4 running at 1 GHz (ARM Cortex A8 with PowerVR SGX 534)
  2. RAM: 256 MB
  3. SD Card slot: none
  4. Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768 at 132 ppi
  5. Size: 9.7 inches
  6. Operating System: iOS 4.3
Tyro
I can't stand Apple. I actually dislike them more than I dislike Microsoft, which is saying something.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 12 2011, 02:55 PM) *
First off, I do NOT pirate. I would like you to apologize to me about this. You have no right to say that without knowing anything about me.

Nope. The "you" was figurative and non specific. As in any "you' that getto breaks an Ereader and thinks he has an Ipad. Not 'YOU" in specific, but by the rest of your post, it relates to you too so, nope. Not gonna apologize.

Second, I know enough that if something happens I can fix it.

If you say so. I doubt it though. Those things aren't built to be opened up and fixed. They're purposefully built to brick if you do so. And most people wouldn't have a clue anyway. You may? And if so. More power to you, but if you're that skilled and that talented, and that smart, you'd likely know it's smarter to just buy something that works with out having to jurry rig it, and risk it, than going through all the trouble. But to each his own.

Third, I can buy a Nook and then in a few more years buy a new one AND STILL HAVE MONEY LEFT OVER!
Not if you're buying the cheepest one, that off the rack is better than your getto one. Nook Colors are $250. the little Ipad that would still be better starts at 5. If you bought two nook colors you'd pay $500. Your math isn't that great Foxy one. smile.gif

The real thing... that's a laugh. The real thing is anything that works. Like a Shadowrunner, I take the hardware and make it work for me, rather than being a wageslave and buying overpriced items from some Megacorp who thinks that they know better than me what I need. Apple is a cult and like any cult, they have their... fans.

If you say so, but you also said you don't do it. So is this a figerative rant or a real one? I suspect you likely have neither. The Ipad or the ghetto Ebook one. The Ipad works. So do laptops. So do desk tops. My Desktop is custom. My laptop is not. My Ipad, which I use for different things than I do either the desk or laptop is Apple. The only apple I have. Why is it apple? because the Ipad is the best tablet on the market. It works. Every time. No fuss. No muss and there's 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of people working on aps for it. I don't have to break into it or try and get it to do things it's not supposed to do to get it to work. I tap the button and it works every time just as designed.

It's akin to buying a car.. or searching through a junk yard and building one out of a lawn mower and assorted car parts. Sure, your supped up lawn mower might get you from A to B. Might be cheepr than the car I bought, They both have wheels and roll and run on gas. But they're not quite the same thing. And if your jurry rigged lawn mower breaks, because... it's a jurry rigged lawn mower. You gotta fix it yourself. Instead of taking it some where and having it fixed because it's supposed to work that way.

I'm far from a member of the apple cult. The room I'm in now has 5 PCs (( My Gaming computer, back up desk top, Lap top, wife's computer, and my Ipad)) and only one is apple.. It's apple because it's the best. Just like I own an Ipod as well. Because the Ipod is the best MP3 player. Look around. How many zunes do you see? or off market ones even? 1 in 10? If that?

You got your information about Nooks being bricked on a RPG forum... grinbig.gif Yup, those guys really know tech! ohplease.gif

You mean... .like you're trying to get me to believe you do? By your own logic I shouldn't believe you, because you're on an RPG fourm saying you know your tech. lol Good one. you just insulted and invalidated yourself. Should I stop reading your argument now, based on the fact that even you don't think you know what you're talking about? LOL

Just like you don't go to the doctor to get your car fixed, or to your mechanic to get your teeth cleaned (unless of course you have cyberteeth, but then you have a whole different world of problems). You don't go to a RPG forum to get your computer (or tablet) fixed. You go to a tech forum.

And yet... here you are, in spite of your own claims, trying to claim you know better, in the exact same way. In the same post, that you point out it's silly to believe anyone on an RPG Forum talking about tech. Do you realize the irony there?

Now to correct your misinformed opinion about the Nook being a "cheap Getto tablet". I will assume you have an first gen iPad since you said about having this iPad back a while ago. If you have an iPad 2 then the stats are a little better in your direction.

Nook Color
  1. processor: ARM Cortex A8 overclocked to 1.1 GHz with PowerVR SGX 530
  2. RAM: 512 MB
  3. SD Card slot: Can take upto a 32 GB microSD card
  4. Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600 @ 170 ppi
  5. Size: 7 inches
  6. Operating System: Cyanogen Mod 7 w/ tablet tweaks (Android 2.3.3)

Apple iPad
  1. Processor: Apple A4 running at 1 GHz (ARM Cortex A8 with PowerVR SGX 534)
  2. RAM: 256 MB
  3. SD Card slot: none
  4. Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768 at 132 ppi
  5. Size: 9.7 inches
  6. Operating System: iOS 4.3

I do have a G1 Ipad yes. The only thing a ghetto broke nook has the Ipad doesn't is an SD Card slot to take it up to 32 gig. Which I don't need as I already have 64. the Ram is largely irrelevent, in that the Ipad does everything you tell it to instantly. At most, the only delay I ---ever--- see from the Ipad, is when I use an app that's accessing information or update on the internet. ANd your ram won't help you there.

*Shrugs* I like the Ipad. It does what I tell it to. every time. If you like your nook. That's fine, but it's not better. You shouldn't put on airs about it. you still have a jurry rigged wanna be Ipad that's smaller and does less. The fact that you repeatedly crack on people for knowing tech on RPG forums while trying to be a knowing member of same... is funny.
Tyro
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 12 2011, 02:23 PM) *
<vitriol>

That's an impressive bit of trolling.
KCKitsune
OK, I'm not going to argue this anymore Pepsi. I just find your tone insulting.

As for the irony about talking tech... no I don't see it as ironic as I have not said how to root a Nook here. In fact when Tyro asked me about an OS for his Seek I referred him to the XDA forum... which is a tech forum. So you can take the attitude and <censored for decorum>.
Adarael
Yeah, can we get back to waggling our SR epeens, rather than our tablet epeens, please? I get enough computer tech epeenage at work, thanks.
Stahlseele
Dell Streak 5" < = best blend between Phone and Tablet.
Basically, what i imagine a comlink to be.
tete
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 12 2011, 10:23 PM) *
Because the Ipod is the best MP3 player.

If by best you mean most popular you are correct but for what I use them for the itouch (for example) is horrible, because you cant directly mount the drive with samba because its a stupid SSH server rather than a usb hard disk. I like the nook color because I can monitor my servers and reprogram routers while I'm reading my SR books and listening to music. You can do all this with an ipad but it requires some extra hardware to interface with the crazy ipod dongle where as I already have a micro usb to 9 pin serial adapter. I do think the ipad renders my pdfs a bit better but I need to have my device do more than browse books and listen to music.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 12 2011, 05:50 PM) *
OK, I'm not going to argue this anymore Pepsi. I just find your tone insulting.

As for the irony about talking tech... no I don't see it as ironic as I have not said how to root a Nook here. In fact when Tyro asked me about an OS for his Seek I referred him to the XDA forum... which is a tech forum. So you can take the attitude and <censored for decorum>.

And I find yours insulting so I guess we're on equal footing. Though you're the one dropping into profanity.

Not I.

I'm just pointing out the holes in your argument and the ironic nature that you're rolling your eyes at trusting people talking about the --exact-- subject you are, on a forums board, when you're doing the --exact-- thing and trying to come off as smart and in the know.

I find it funny that you're basically cracking on your self but doing so in such a serious way. It's kinda hard to take you seriously when in the same breath you both try and present yourself as a knowledgeable expert on the subject and discount anyone professing to be such on a RPG forums board as moronic... ON... a RPG forums board.

Don't get me wrong. I joke about myself too. Often. Just rarely do I insult my own intelligence while trying to appear smarter than the person I'm talking to. It's a bit self defeating.
nylanfs
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 11 2011, 03:57 PM) *
* - As I use engineering software, and those engineering software companies have no apparent interest at all in developing for anything except Windows, this would have to mean either a Windows platform or a MacOS platform with Windows dual-boot.

Which engineering software? Solidworks, AutoCAD, ProE(ick) & NX all have native unix ports.
ggodo
QUOTE (nylanfs @ Apr 12 2011, 04:21 PM) *
Which engineering software? Solidworks, AutoCAD, ProE(ick) & NX all have native unix ports.

Well, someone ought to tell the administration that, I never bothered to check because I can't fix it, and run native windows on my machines. We use all four of those, and all of them are windows. I am now more confused why the Macs boot windows.
Stahlseele
why the Macs boot windows

IT-Guy:"Because: Yes, WE can!"
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 12 2011, 05:28 PM) *
Don't get me wrong. I joke about myself too. Often. Just rarely do I insult my own intelligence while trying to appear smarter than the person I'm talking to. It's a bit self defeating.

I consider it a lot less self-defeating than harping on the most meaningless part of the conversation imaginable. Beyond that, it's really kind of a stretch to say that people are breaking things by doing everything right. If something doesn't work after you think you've modded it correctly, odds are, you didn't actually mod it correctly. Oh, you may have had a unit that was failing already, I suppose, and thus it'll die on you and you'll rue the day you voided your warranty, but that's a risk a lot of people are willing to take given that it's frankly pretty rare for electronics to fail early if you practice a li'l care.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Apr 12 2011, 08:22 PM) *
I consider it a lot less self-defeating than harping on the most meaningless part of the conversation imaginable. Beyond that, it's really kind of a stretch to say that people are breaking things by doing everything right. If something doesn't work after you think you've modded it correctly, odds are, you didn't actually mod it correctly. Oh, you may have had a unit that was failing already, I suppose, and thus it'll die on you and you'll rue the day you voided your warranty, but that's a risk a lot of people are willing to take given that it's frankly pretty rare for electronics to fail early if you practice a li'l care.

Not so rare when you try and make them do things they're nnot set up to do. *Shrugs* have fun trying. I'll stick with my Tech that already works and I don't have to take such risks with.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 12 2011, 05:28 PM) *
<more vitriol>

tl:dr

Like I said Pepsi, I'm not going to argue with you anymore. You do your thing and I'll do my thing.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 12 2011, 10:04 PM) *
tl:dr

Like I said Pepsi, I'm not going to argue with you anymore. You do your thing and I'll do my thing.

It's funny you call my replies vitriol, when you were the one that started off by trying to say I was in a cult and then an ignorant wage slave.. then reduced yourself to profanity that you self censored. But hey. maybe if you yell and point and go "LOOK OVER THERE" you can fool people that are just skimming.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012