Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You know you are a SR geek when...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tyro
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 12 2011, 08:08 PM) *
It's funny you call my replies vitriol, when you were the one that started off by trying to say I was in a cult and then an ignorant wage slave.. then reduced yourself to profanity that you self censored. But hey. maybe if you yell and point and go "LOOK OVER THERE" you can fool people that are just skimming.

To be fair, I called it vitriol first, and I'm not even part of the damn argument. I just want it to go away, as does KCKitsune. You're the only one here arguing, Pepsi.
CanRay
Children, children, play nice.

Hell, if I'm going to start being called "Grandpa"... nyahnyah.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 12 2011, 11:08 PM) *
It's funny you call my replies vitriol, when you were the one that started off by trying to say I was in a cult and then an ignorant wage slave.. then reduced yourself to profanity that you self censored. But hey. maybe if you yell and point and go "LOOK OVER THERE" you can fool people that are just skimming.

OK.

Whatever Pepsi. I have already backed down. You can continue doing your thing.

Just let it go. I'm sorry that I tried to talk about something other than Shadowrun.
Tyro
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 12 2011, 08:14 PM) *
OK.

Whatever Pepsi. I have already backed down. You can continue doing your thing.

Just let it go. I'm sorry that I tried to talk about something other than Shadowrun.

What he said. Any further comments on the subject, I will ignore.
KarmaInferno
It would help if folks realized that hacking a new OS onto a piece of hardware is NOT PIRATING.

It's hacking. There is a distinct difference.

-k
KCKitsune
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 12 2011, 10:36 PM) *
It would help if folks realized that hacking a new OS onto a piece of hardware is NOT PIRATING.

-k

I know, but just let this go.

Pepsi is set in his way and that's fine. I'll go my own way... and that should be fine as well.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 12 2011, 10:36 PM) *

-k

Yeah I know. I used the word "Pirate" like three pages back. Once. In reference to general activity. Mostly I've called it hacking or breaking.

I'm aware there's a difference. The misuse of the word, once, doesn't invalidate the rest though.

My main point, being, that if you (( General pronoun, not using it to specify any 'you' in specific here)) buy an Ebook and hack it to do something else. You run a risk, of bricking the device. For a cheaper lessor version of a tablet. So you may lose the $250 entirely and have a paperweight.

That's independent of whom ever does it or anything. Not targeting any other posters at all.

Doing so does void any warrentees it might have and if anything goes wrong with it ever. You're out the entire device, as you've hacked it and voided any protection you may have had.

If that's something you want to do, for a smaller, lesser thing. Have fun. Honestly. I wish you the best. I'll stick with mine, that I know works out of the box. smile.gif
longbowrocks
You know you are an SR geek when you realize that crash damage in SR4 scales incredibly badly
(body * X) where X is approximately LOG base 3(Speed / 20), and decide to do something about it.

That something is: recognize that you and the target take damage based the body and speed of whoever is performing the crash test, and that it's more efficient to increase body than speed. That done, create a low body, super fast character, with a gigantic pinball for a weapon. Ram the pinball; both you and it take minimal damage due to your low body, but you don't bounce back, and due to that inelastic collision your momentum is now shared. Put the high body pinball on a course for your nearest enemy and run away.
If the pinball has body 20, and you go very very fast, the difference is huge.
EX without pinball:
2000 speed = 5 * body(1) = 5 DV
EX with pinball:
2000 speed (meters per turn) * 1 body (kg) = 2000 kg meters per turn.
2000 / (1 + 20) = 95 meters per turn (speed).
95 speed = 2 * body(20) = 40 DV

Real physics. Fantasy game. Power game.

If you're looking for a story though, one of my professors last week forgot to close an "o" in the word "do", making it look like "d6" on the board. I ended up misunderstanding everything he said for the next few seconds, since none of it made sense in terms of a dice pool.
hobgoblin
SR4 use linear scaled for its ease of use at the table, most likely. Yes it does produce some insane results when pushed, but it is that or doing odd numbered square maths and rounding at the drop of a die.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 13 2011, 12:37 AM) *
<more insults>

Again, Pepsi, you've won. I'm sorry for bringing up something real in a Shadowrun forum.

Though for the record, my Nook might be smaller, but it is not lesser.
nezumi
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 13 2011, 04:49 AM) *
but it is that or doing odd numbered square maths and rounding at the drop of a die.

I believe the word you're looking for there is 'beautiful'. Beautiful square-roots when calculating explosive damage, or power of 2 charts calculating program size.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 13 2011, 06:48 AM) *
I believe the word you're looking for there is 'beautiful'. Beautiful square-roots when calculating explosive damage, or power of 2 charts calculating program size.

Not in my Dictionary it is not... smile.gif
Sixgun_Sage
You know you are an SR geek when you convert you "pure high fantasy" SO, you are a martial arts geek as well when said SO begins wondering if you are an adept.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2011, 08:11 PM) *
Children, children, play nice.

Hell, if I'm going to start being called "Grandpa"... nyahnyah.gif

You're already 6,256 posts old! What could we possibly call you but "grandpa"? twirl.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 13 2011, 11:09 AM) *
You're already 6,256 posts old! What could we possibly call you but "grandpa"? twirl.gif

Post-Whore?
longbowrocks
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 13 2011, 09:09 AM) *
Post-Whore?

Oh god, it's already increased by 3. You sell 'em cheap don'cha? grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 13 2011, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 13 2011, 06:09 PM) *
Post-Whore?

On the right way?
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Apr 12 2011, 10:02 PM) *
Not so rare when you try and make them do things they're nnot set up to do. *Shrugs* have fun trying.

The thing is though, electronics -are- designed to handle more than what is advertised on the box. They're built with the understanding that someone will be mucking around in some of them-- if not the end user, than the service department. Don't confuse a liability dodge with the notion that cracking that seal must always lead to disaster. There's frankly little reason for a root change to fail aside from being sloppy.
KCKitsune
Whipstitch, thank you for coming to my defense. I appreciate it. Now we should get back to talking about Shadowrun because, frankly, talking with Pepsi is like talking to a brick wall.

Pepsi: "Yup, KC, you're a dumbass. You are being a cheap bastard and didn't buy an Apple."
Me: "But I was able, with a little work, get my Nook to be better than your iPad."
Pepsi: "People like you are pirates who steals from everyone because you 'Jail-broke' your Nook."

----------------------------------------------

I know... Pepsi is a perfect example of the common slot in Shadowrun. They buy overpriced things from a Megacorp and never think to modify it. They buy their i<insert product type> and think to themselves: "Golly Gee, I'm the luckiest guy in the world!"
Tyro
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 13 2011, 10:27 AM) *
Whipstitch, thank you for coming to my defense. I appreciate it. Now we should get back to talking about Shadowrun because, frankly, talking with Pepsi is like talking to a brick wall.

Pepsi: "Yup, KC, you're a dumbass. You are being a cheap bastard and didn't buy an Apple."
Me: "But I was able, with a little work, get my Nook to be better than your iPad."
Pepsi: "People like you are pirates who steals from everyone because you 'Jail-broke' your Nook."

----------------------------------------------

I know... Pepsi is a perfect example of the common slot in Shadowrun. They buy overpriced things from a Megacorp and never think to modify it. They buy their i<insert product type> and think to themselves: "Golly Gee, I'm the luckiest guy in the world!"

Can we please get past Pepsi's trolling and back to geeking out?

You know you're a Shadowrun geek when you not only care about your post count on Dumpshock, you also care about your reputation there, and so make a point of making frequent, good-quality posts over a long period of time.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 13 2011, 10:27 AM) *
talking with Pepsi is like talking to a brick wall.

It's actually like talking to an aluminum can silly.
PS, love the jailbroken Nook.
Tyro
*sigh*

I tried.
nezumi
Top 25 smile.gif

I've been tempted to start a game here just to pump up my post count.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 13 2011, 01:31 PM) *
*sigh*

I tried.

Hey, Tyro, I did relate it to Shadowrun. Pepsi has shown us what a wageslave would do with computer hardware and I pointed it out.
KarmaInferno
Personally, I don't have a problem with either preference.

Likes and dislikes are subjective.

I get irritated when folks act superior about their particular preference, though, and try to insist that the alternative is somehow "wrong" or "inferior".

Especially when it's entirely a subjective claim and both sides have their advantages and disadvantages.

-k
KCKitsune
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 13 2011, 02:10 PM) *
Personally, I don't have a problem with either preference.

Likes and dislikes are subjective.

I get irritated when folks act superior about their particular preference, though, and try to insist that the alternative is somehow "wrong" or "inferior".

Especially when it's entirely a subjective claim and both sides have their advantages and disadvantages.

-k

Oh, I do know that my Nook has disadvantages. The bluetooth range on it sucks donkey balls, though it is getting better. Also the video card is not fully integrated into the OS yet. I know this because I can't use the hardware codecs for playing my movies. The software codecs are plenty fine though.
fistandantilus4.0
Hi guys. Shadowrun forum. Take it elsewhere please.
Tyro
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Apr 13 2011, 12:12 PM) *
Hi guys. Shadowrun forum. Take it elsewhere please.

THANK YOU

I really like this topic; I don't want to see it locked *pleads*
longbowrocks
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 13 2011, 11:10 AM) *

I'm cool with that. As long as you never use a Mac. rotfl.gif
longbowrocks
And to get back on topic: you know you're an SR geek when you have over 13k posts.
Seriously, I thought Stahl and Yera had high counts.
Stahlseele
We do, but ours are comparatively new i think ^^
ggodo
I've seen fisty once before, I'm under the impression he's been on Dumpshock since Shadowrun was created.
Tyro
The really high post counts tend to belong to people who play PbP games and to people who have been around for a very long time.
Stahlseele
Fisty is probably a Hipster and knew Shadowrun before it became Mainstream nyahnyah.gif *snickers*

i've been around for not quite 3,5 Years and i don't to PbP either ^^
but i post a lot of mindless crap it seems O.o
Hound
I cannot watch action/intrigue/whatever movies without evaluating them in terms of how cool it would be to run a session based on them.

Also I apparently zone out for long periods of time, thinking about shadowrun, without realizing it. All the time I'll be hanging with my gf right before bed, talking, and then like, as soon as the conversation lulls my brain is like "Man so what's the deal with Ghostwalker? How could I use him..." It's gotten to the point that she can actually recognize the look on my face when I'm thinking about shadowrun stuff.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 13 2011, 03:55 PM) *
but i post a lot of mindless crap it seems O.o

You just described 90% of the stuff that comes off my keyboard. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Hound @ Apr 13 2011, 10:58 PM) *
I cannot watch action/intrigue/whatever movies without evaluating them in terms of how cool it would be to run a session based on them.

Also I apparently zone out for long periods of time, thinking about shadowrun, without realizing it. All the time I'll be hanging with my gf right before bed, talking, and then like, as soon as the conversation lulls my brain is like "Man so what's the deal with Ghostwalker? How could I use him..." It's gotten to the point that she can actually recognize the look on my face when I'm thinking about shadowrun stuff.

I had a moment like that once . . and my girlfriend is a mean one . . Her Comment:"Crash 2.0!" Me:"Gah! Woman! Don't do that to me!"
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 13 2011, 11:06 PM) *
You just described 90% of the stuff that comes off my keyboard. nyahnyah.gif

I still have you beat by sheer quantity nyahnyah.gif ^^
Tyro
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 13 2011, 02:08 PM) *
I had a moment like that once . . and my girlfriend is a mean one . . Her Comment:"Crash 2.0!" Me:"Gah! Woman! Don't do that to me!"

That made me lol ^_^
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 13 2011, 04:08 PM) *
I still have you beat by sheer quantity nyahnyah.gif ^^

I aim for quality.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 13 2011, 11:12 PM) *
That made me lol ^_^

A day where you made somebody laugh is not a wasted day.
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 13 2011, 11:17 PM) *
I aim for quality.

Soo many possible answers ^^
nezumi
Unfortunately, the change to SR4 is playing hell with my post count. Why don't people ask SR3 questions any more?!?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 14 2011, 01:17 PM) *
Unfortunately, the change to SR4 is playing hell with my post count. Why don't people ask SR3 questions any more?!?

I have one!

Why are you still playing SR3? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
'cause it's clearly superior *sage nod*
sabs
real men play sr1 smile.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (sabs @ Apr 14 2011, 02:31 PM) *
real men play sr1 smile.gif

My book fell to pieces. frown.gif
CanRay
Real men repair their book that fell to pieces with the glue made from their dead enemies! Which they had crushed, driven before them, and heard the lamentations of their Significant Others.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 14 2011, 03:00 PM) *
Real men repair their book that fell to pieces with the glue made from their dead enemies! Which they had crushed, driven before them, and heard the lamentations of their Significant Others.

At the time, I was young and foolish (compared to just foolish now) and bought a 2nd ed book to replace it.
CanRay
I have two 1st Edition books. Hardcover and softcover. One is misprinted, however. frown.gif
Bigity
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Apr 14 2011, 09:38 AM) *
My book fell to pieces. frown.gif

frown.gif

My paperback one is in tatters. The hardcover is still is really good shape though. They don't make bindings like they used to.

Doc Chase
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 14 2011, 03:25 PM) *
frown.gif

My paperback one is in tatters. The hardcover is still is really good shape though. They don't make bindings like they used to.

I bought mine used for five bucks, so it was already on its last legs. All my other ones have been new.

Except for 3rd edition. I appropriated that book from a ne'er-do-well to save it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012