Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bounty for blood mages
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tanka
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
A "printable" view of the characters would be cool so people could use them for NPCs or what-not. Maybe like what the NSRCG outputs...

You know... That might actually be really neat... I'm surprised I didn't really think of that.

Just think... My group could kill DV8's guys, and his guys could kill mine. Wouldn't that be fun? biggrin.gif
Joker9125
Does the draco foundation have a branch in the seattle area? If so where would it be?
DV8
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
QUOTE (DV8)
It's really not very hard, it's just that the only thing I'm a bit afraid of is bandwidth, and perhaps storage. If people go wild registering all kids of characters...

Best thing to do is implement quality control. I can think of three ways:

• Require that all submitted characters include complete answers to the 20 questions. This should cut way down on frivolous submissions.

• Use a voting and/or comments module for the submitted characters so that people can diss bad characters and promote good ones.

• Warn people right up front that if you don't like their character for any reason you can and will delete it without warning. Use a big font and inform them that if they can't handle this possibility then they shouldn't submit. If you're feeling really nice you can give some general criteria, but keep it general.

All very good ideas. *jots them down*

QUOTE (DV8)
Also, would people like to see a charactersheet type of profile page, or would a profile page as they are now suffice?

A "printable" view of the characters would be cool so people could use them for NPCs or what-not. Maybe like what the NSRCG outputs...

I'm not sure what NSRCG outputs, but if I'm going to do output, then I'll see if the guys who're building NSRCG will do XML output.
DV8
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (Mr. Man @ Jan 7 2004, 03:05 PM)
A "printable" view of the characters would be cool so people could use them for NPCs or what-not.  Maybe like what the NSRCG outputs...

You know... That might actually be really neat... I'm surprised I didn't really think of that.

Just think... My group could kill DV8's guys, and his guys could kill mine. Wouldn't that be fun? biggrin.gif

If this is going to happen, it would mean I'm going to have to keep seperate records, because, to be honest, the database as it is now is in support of my gaming group, and there's no way in hell I'm going to allow them to peruse all the stats for the NPCs in my games. smile.gif
Mr. Man
QUOTE (DV8)
I'm not sure what NSRCG outputs, but if I'm going to do output, then I'll see if the guys who're building NSRCG will do XML output.

Check it out:

"The new version now supports XML, XSLT, and a smaller memory footprint. This means that the program should now run on all systems. No more 'Out of resources' messages. Let me know what you think. Included is a demo XSLT translation to demonstrate XML -> HTML conversion."

That made me think of another feature: Allow submitters to upload a copy of the .SR3 file that the NSRCG generates and make that available as a link on the character's page. Then people can download the characters and easily tweak them on their own (or just quickly verify that they're legal).

This wouldn't really replace a "printable" feature since not everyone uses NSRCG to create their characters, but it would still be useful (especially when the submitter gets to his game and realizes he forgot his character at home).

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
This means that the program should now run on all systems

Except those that aren't in any way, shape, or form Windows-based.

~J
Fortune
I still think you should keep the page solely for your game, Deev. If you do decide to let people upload their characters, why can't they keep them in the same format as what you are already using on the site? There's no real need for stat lists, etc. smile.gif
DV8
I'm still weighing the pros vs cons. I'm definitely not sure yet. smile.gif
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Except those that aren't in any way, shape, or form Windows-based.

I think the courts determined that Microsoft was a monopoly. There shouldn't be any other systems after that court order. Are there still some?
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Joker9125 @ Jan 7 2004, 11:15 AM)
If the tn for making orcalicum is 10 - magic rating.  How would you determine the magic rating of an ally spirit?

You have the ally spirit cast an area-affect spell in a crowded theatre, and then measure the diameter of the circle of the bodies. The magic rating of the ally is 1/2 the diameter in meters.
Fortune
QUOTE (OurTeam @ Jan 9 2004, 08:01 PM)
You have the ally spirit cast an area-affect spell in a crowded theatre, and then measure the diameter of the circle of the bodies.  The magic rating of the ally is 1/2 the diameter in meters.

Not necessarily. The Ally Spirit could hold back dice from it's Sorcery test to alter the Area of Effect. wink.gif
RedmondLarry
You command the ally spirit to not hold back dice when it casts the area-affect spell in the crowded theater.
Fortune
rotfl.gif
Tiralee
Anyone who is making weapon foci may not have the skill to smelt the gold/silver from ore. I do not know how mercury is refined from its natural form but I doubt more than a handful of people are going to know either. Exposure to mercury is poisonous and yet if you do not refine it personally, you can kiss your virgin telesma goodbye.

The _usual_ natural form of mercury is cinnabar (Mercury Sulphide) a rather pretty mineral.

Linkage -http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/sulfides/cinnabar/cinnabar.htm

However, Mercury is weird and can form its liquid state naturally.

Of course, mercury (especially the methyl-mercury compounds) are toxic in the extreme, this enhanced by it's stability and dammable persistance in the ecosystem.

It's found in many parts of the world (Funnily enough) but I though tthis could be of use to those planning a run:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-0072-94/

Nothing like finding a mine that's producing naturally-radical mercury to make your day...and then the problems set in. I mean, it's HEAVY - many liquid-designed containers can't handle the density and break/burst.

And why is it there? Admittedly, mercury-bearing cinnabar isn't rare, but for liquid radical mercury?

I'd be looking around for a toxic Enchanter.

Oh - and it's rather easy to extract mercury from the cinnabar matrix - usually crushing and then heating in a vacuum works very well, Hg vapourises easily.
However, this is fraught with dangers, especially if the extraction area is actually open (Traditionally done for thousands of years.) and not vented properly.

You'd be amazed at how many of you could do this stuff in your kitchen - just becuase it's more profitable to do it in a large steel mill, etc, doesn't mean you're incapable of alchemy in the back yard. cyber.gif

Unless you're trying to extract aluminium, that is. dead.gif

L;

No, I'm not a Geologist, I'm a Food Scientist.
pH33r my L33t f00d Sk1LLz!
Tiralee
Silly me - Google-fu to the rescue.

Mercury is found principally in the form of the ore cinnabar (mercury sulfide) and can also be found in the uncombined state. The preparation of mercury from its ores is fairly simple. The ore is ground up and heated to about 580 deg C in the presence of oxygen. Mercury vapor escapes from the ores and sulfur dioxide is removed. The metal is condensed and purified by washing with nitric acid, followed by distillation.

Taken from: http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~eps2/wisc/hg.html

Not to mention a possible reason why it's inlcuded in the Or (Orichalcum - has anyone tried to name it yet?) blend.

Mercury will dissolve numerous metals to form amalgams and is thus used to extract gold dust from rocks by dissolving the gold and then boiling off the mercury.

-In Ye-Olde gold rush days, it was usually easier to coat copper plates in mercury and a mixture of gold-bearing rock and then wash away the gravel. The gold-bearing mecrury would adhere to the copper, thereby extracting it.

To be honest, has anyone thrown together a radical of Plarinum yet? I mean, you have to boil the stuff in Auqa Regis and it comes out after the rocks start to go soft and mushy...

heh - Platinum Dikoted Katana with Orichalcum throughout.

"Behold! I reveal to you, the Foci of Bling!"
All: "Woooooooo...."

L;
Kagetenshi
Foci? As in multiple?
That... that's just too much money. *Collapses sobbing*

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012