Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ...But how do you kill it?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Blaze
Hey all... I know I've been gone for- what? Two years? But I'm back, and I have questions... Specifically about Vampires and Regeneration.
I know Critters says that Regeneration automatically heals any damage that doesn't affect the spine or brain. But what about damage caused through Astral Combat? As an attack directly on the Vampire's astral form rather than physical, does that allow regeneration?
Cheers,

-JH.
Wu Jen
Unless the character makes a called shot then I would say that the round just hits the general (body area). If I remember the regen rules correctly, it was 1-2 on a 6 sided dice when the creature takes damage that would kill it. Same would probably apply for astral combat. If it takes astral damage over D then it would get its regen hit, unless the spine or brain was targeted by a spells effects.

I'm all SR1 and SR2 though haven't played much 3 nyahnyah.gif
BitBasher
unless the spine or brain was targeted by a spells effects.

A spell cannot be targeted at a specific part of anything. You cannot do a called shot with a spell. A spell targets a thing as a whole.
Kagetenshi
Such a pity, I was so looking forward to a Wreck (Brain) spell.

~J
Blaze
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Such a pity, I was so looking forward to a Wreck (Brain) spell.

That's why you load your cap-rounds with DMSO/LSD... biggrin.gif
Continuing the debate, so the Regen ability allows the creature to regenerate Astral damage too then? It'd make a little more sense if it didn't- if the physical form could not regenerate if the soul/essence/astral form is destroyed. Is there a clarification/amendment anywhere? Haven't found one in the errata I have...

-JH.
Bearclaw
I thought that they didn't regenerate any magical damage. Spells, astral combat, weapon focus, whatever.
BitBasher
You thought wrong biggrin.gif Vamps are NASTY!
Bearclaw
So Vampires regenerate different from other creatures?
Lame. Must read more.

OK, I double checked. Weapon foci will still kill them, but other magic is just like everything else. Wow, they can cast 30D fireballs all day long eek.gif
Wu Jen
The problem with SR rules is that (as you are well aware) they are sometimes (okay a lot of times) a bit vague with things. I'd leave up to the GM to decide what is or isn't appropriate. In the end he has the final say anyhow.
Bearclaw
If HMHVV is magical, will the vampires that survive till the next downcycle become regular, mortal humans again?
mfb
a wreck (brain) spell is perfectly legitimate. you just need LOS on the targeted brain.
Zeel De Mort
Yeah. You can get spells that target specific body parts (Criple Limb, for example), but as was said I'd guess you have to touch, or at least see, the part you want to hit, and it would be a specific spell for doing so most likely.

Anyway, killing vampires: Use a weapon focus and lots of dice/friends. Failing that, use lots of silver and powerful weapons til it goes down, then use the tried and tested method of standing over it and shooting/slicing til it stops regenerating.

Easy!
Bearclaw
Vulnerability, wood. Your two club wielding physical adept should be able to make short work of them biggrin.gif
Lilt
Not particularily, Bearclaw, not unless one of the clubs was a weapon focus. Regenerating creatures still regenerate wounds from stuff they are vulnerable to.

That being said, a good adept would probably kick the Vamp's Ass thanks to sheer weight of dice. Unless the vamp was also an adept...
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Lilt)
That being said, a good adept would probably kick the Vamp's Ass thanks to sheer weight of dice. Unless the vamp was also an adept...

That's more along the lines of what I meant. Before the vamp moves, it's on the ground, unconcious and the adept has 2 more actions before the end of the round.
BitBasher
So Vampires regenerate different from other creatures?
Lame. Must read more.

OK, I double checked. Weapon foci will still kill them, but other magic is just like everything else. Wow, they can cast 30D fireballs all day long 
No, they follow the same rules. Regenerating creatures are all exceedingly hard to kill. Drain on the other hand returns IIRC at only one box per minute. Any other magical or physical damage, even those from vulnerabilities and weaknesses is regenerated normally.

Wepon foci don't really kill them spectacularly well. Weapon foci damage is regenerated normally as long as the regenerating creature can make a single success on a a test rolling (essence)d6 versus a TN of (focus rating )*2. A feat which for a vampite isnt remarcably hard since force 3+ foci cost a pile of karma to bond and are prohibitively expensive. Vamps are really nigh impossible to corner when they decide they just really dont want to fight or the odds arent going their way. They are intelligent after all.

That's more along the lines of what I meant. Before the vamp moves, it's on the ground, unconcious and the adept has 2 more actions before the end of the round.
That's not as easy to do as it sounds. Don't forget Vamps get extra initiative dice and additionally their essence (up to 12) added to all physical attributes. That's on top of what they can have from locked spells or adept powers. And a disproporionaltely high number of vamps are magically active.
Siege
1. Never trust an elf
2. Never deal with a Dragon
3. Never piss off a Vampire you can't incinerate and bury it's ashes in cement

-Siege
Lilt
A tricked-out adept could probably take a non tricked-out vampire but I don't think there's any argument that a combat vamp could kill a combat Adept. The +12 to Quickness and Strength pretty-much ensures that. My personal choice is to confuse them with a spirit and whack them with a few spells.

BTW: Anyone looked at the vampitic pawns entry closely? They have Immunity: Normal Weapons! Yikes! Remind me to sire a coupple of adepts/mages into them when I become a Vampire/Nosferatu.

BTW: Vampires are good for beginners, Nosferatu are what the pros use. 17 essence with the Compulsion, Fear, and Influence powers? Also: *all* of them have magical skills. Who needs +12 quickness?
toturi
Use a free spirit and have it some of that Hidden Life goodness in a character.

"Did you try to bite me? Stop that, it tickles."

Silver capsule rounds with FAB 3. smile.gif One shot and run.

Drones, a lot of drones.

Unarmed combat with friends. Remember, in unarmed combat, skill counts more than strength or quickness. You may have a truck load of strength but it is useless if the TN to hit is in the clouds. Have a shapeshifter adept fight him.
REM
i wonder if a shapeshifter adept could take a vampire..... God i hope so.
toturi
QUOTE (REM @ Feb 6 2004, 09:10 AM)

Were-eagle adept. Distance Strike, Serious Killing Hands. Fly. Zone, Zone, Zone, Zone... Full Offense.
REM
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (REM @ Feb 6 2004, 09:10 AM)

Were-eagle adept. Distance Strike, Serious Killing Hands. Fly. Zone, Zone, Zone, Zone... Full Offense.

More wondering if my Were-cat adept can. maybe. ill just use a monfilament whip on it.
BitBasher
Silver capsule rounds with FAB 3.  One shot and run.

Except they have no vilnerability or allergy to silver, and in 3rd edition vamps are NOT dual natured, so FAB is pointless. Yeah, Tht blew me away too till I looked it up.

More wondering if my Were-cat adept can. maybe. ill just use a monfilament whip on it.
if a vamp sees a monowhip, he just goes mist form and leaves.. easy biggrin.gif
toturi
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Silver capsule rounds with FAB 3.  One shot and run.

Except they have no vilnerability or allergy to silver, and in 3rd edition vamps are NOT dual natured, so FAB is pointless. Yeah, Tht blew me away too till I looked it up.

if a vamp sees a monowhip, he just goes mist form and leaves.. easy biggrin.gif

Coat wooden flechettes with FAB 3 for the magically active ones. Any para critter with paranormal abilities should be vulnerable to FAB 3.

Toxic mutant dragon with Bind. (Base essense + mutation index)*2
moosegod
PAC.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (toturi)
Any para critter with paranormal abilities should be vulnerable to FAB 3.

Read the description before you declare that mutant bacteria to be omnipotent. It can only feed on subjects that are astrally active. A mage can duck out of danger by simply not astrally percieving.
Okay, well just so people know.

I actually used a Vampire against a group of players, (ummm yes I know many of you other GMs have done this too.)

Anyways with the vampire having 12 essence(because of the immunity to normal weapons,) it basicly has a 24 hardened armor meaning yes yes. Anything that doesn't have a power higher then 24, and I mean higher not equal to, doesn't do a thing.

Okay, so now what does work against that well weapon foci. Weapon foci can actually do something to the vampire.

Now the other thing, I believe spells aren't normal weapons. Or at least I don't consider them.

Finally the vampire has to not roll a 1 when it gets D damage.

If he takes nervous tissue type D damage that is either a 1 or a 2.

Needless to say the character's decided after firing HMG, Vindicators, and a few other things not to engage the vampire. Ohh and APDS doesn't improve the bullets ability to penetrate armor because the vampire isn't armored.

As I figured my inexperienced players did not try to do anything with the abundent amount of trees that were blown away. I mean nicely cut stakes were all over the place....
toturi
But an infected mage still takes damage if he is astral.

Force the guy to astrally perceive and there you have it.
toturi
QUOTE (252)
As I figured my inexperienced players did not try to do anything with the abundent amount of trees that were blown away. I mean nicely cut stakes were all over the place....

No, Paranormal/Magic Knowledge maybe?

Or no prerequsite skill to use those stakes properly? No Thrown Weapon(Stakes), no Clubs(stakes)?
Sunday_Gamer
Being the shaman I am, I must ask... wouldn't a nice big chunky stunblast knock the b'jesus out of the vamp?
Granted there's the resisting and all that fun stuff, but just HOW fast do they regen? If I blast it with a S base Stunbolt and Nova statrs pumping APDS into the thing and Gauge decides to grace us with his presence (fraggin deckers) and opens up with an ingram and Legs opens up with one of the beasts mounted on his vehicles, how fast will it jump back up to it's feet?

Kong
toturi
If none of you or if all your damage combined don't push it into the D zone? The next round. All damage is regen.

Literally, for vampires, you need a one shot, one kill capability. Doesn't help if some of them have Immunity to Normal Weapons.
Siege
If you manage to surprise it and can unload all that damage before it goes misty and fades away?

Maybe.

-Siege
Sunday_Gamer
let's talk mist then, can anything affect the mist? Is it astral? Can you use a wind spell against the mist? Is the mist dual? Astral? Why am I asking all these questions? because all my books are at Novas, so there.

Sunday

Herald of Verjigorm
Wind should work at moving the mist (oopposed if the vampire is trying not to move...), and if you get thi mist in contact with something a vampire is allergic to, it becomes physical.
toturi
Can you freeze mist? Or vapourise it? Or can you catch a small part of that mist and seal it up to "split" up the vampire.
BitBasher
Or can you catch a small part of that mist and seal it up to "split" up the vampire.
Kind of futile, it still regenerates, it wont miss the piece.

if you get thi mist in contact with something a vampire is allergic to, it becomes physical.
Have a reference for this? I could not find this anywhere in the rules, I do rememver this from ADnD tho.

If none of you or if all your damage combined don't push it into the D zone? The next round. All damage is regen.
Even if you do push it to D theres at least a 66% chance all it's damage goes away anyway.

Anyways with the vampire having 12 essence(because of the immunity to normal weapons,) it basicly has a 24 hardened armor....
What kind of vampires have hardened armor? I havent seen one in the book that does.. or is this a house rule?
toturi
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Feb 6 2004, 02:33 PM)
Or can you catch a small part of that mist and seal it up to "split" up the vampire.
Kind of futile, it still regenerates, it wont miss the piece.

Can you spell Ritual samplel? vegm.gif

It should be evilpc but evilgm is the best I've got.
BitBasher
Ritual sample? yeah, it would work for that... but the vamp would know it... and I doubt your house is airtight... and you have to go home sometime vegm.gif
toturi
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Ritual sample? yeah, it would work for that... but the vamp would know it... and I doubt your house is airtight... and you have to go home sometime vegm.gif

Go home after it is dead or it is your puppet.

A pet vampire dancing to your tune. A Ritual control thoughts.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (BitBasher)
if you get thi mist in contact with something a vampire is allergic to, it becomes physical.
Have a reference for this?

Critters, page 12, in the definition of "Mist Form."
Austere Emancipator
Just smack the fucker up with your friendly neighborhood 20Str dual Dikoted spur-wielding cyclops adept. And if he keeps running away, make a team of runners consisting of nothing but 20Str dual Dikoted spur-wielding cyclops adepts.

[Edit]Or actually, make those 22Str dual Dikoted spur-wielding ghoul cyclops adepts instead.[/Edit]
Liquid_Obsidian
Only one solution ... Naval Weapon ... this inpronuncable 150 Kg Railgun wink.gif
Slug in the head....
toturi
A double tap with a Light Naval Gun. It is the only one that fires in SA, so if your rigger has a VCR, he can double tap per initiative pass. Or bursts with an ANDREWS. smile.gif And an ANDREWS isn't a normal weapon(as in Immunity to Normal Weapons).
GunnerJ
Anyone who read through the ocean section of Target: Wastelands should know that wind DOES effect mist... <shudder>
Siege
Someone really needs to make up some crossfire and "missed shot" rules.

-Siege
toturi
But those "missed" rules aren't Canon. smile.gif
Siege
Or cannon?

Granted, they'd be house rules to be sure, but it would make combat a lot more fun. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Luke Hardison
Wonder if you could make special anti-vampire railgun rounds that were coated in wood, or had wood tips.
nezumi
If you're a NICE GM (waits for the laughter to die down) you can say that losing a limb includes damage to the nervous system, and that limb can't be regenerated. Seems like if you're willing to ignore the numbers, a slugg-o bat to the back will leave your vamp in a wheelchair 'til the day he dies (for the second time). Light does extra damage, iirc, so use the laser spell. Otherwise, you just need to be tricky : ) Control thoughts, put silver tacks in his coffin, a realistic manequin filled with ketchup (imagine the look on his face when he bites into her!) Fun stuff like that.
Velocity
Austere Emancipator wrote:
Just smack the fucker up with your friendly neighborhood 20Str dual Dikoted spur-wielding cyclops adept. And if he keeps running away, make a team of runners consisting of nothing but 20Str dual Dikoted spur-wielding cyclops adepts.

*shudder*

In all seriousness, you don't have to go that far: my PCs encountered a Wendigo a while back and the beast's remarkable regenerative abilities were a serious problem until the shaman (Kong) informed the samurai (Nova) that he needed to sever the thing's head to put it down for the count. It was dead the next round.

Now Nova's quite competent, but he's no twinked-out, vampire-hunting melée god. He's a human with STR 6, QUI 6, Combat Pool 9 and a Dikoted cyberspur.

Regeneration is a seriously bad-ass power, but it can be circumvented if you know what you're doing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012