Full Version: Genetic Heritage and You
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Delarn
Changeling have been named ?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 18 2010, 02:53 PM) *
Changeling have been named ?

I don't know what's up with SURGElings having 6 essence under my explanation either. I can only offer a "magic did it, therefore it doesn't mess with magic."
Delarn
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 18 2010, 08:04 PM) *
I don't know what's up with SURGElings having 6 essence under my explanation either. I can only offer a "magic did it, therefore it doesn't mess with magic."

But it's still genetic factors. Then you need a name giver to give a name. Human are name givers ? Then the next generation is name gived. Genetic Heritage grant a mod without essence.
Glyph
As far as explaining it fluff-wise, I say that genetic treatments, while they may mesh well with the recipient, and can even be passed along to offspring, are still not completely "natural" - just like bioware. Things like SURGE, on the other hand, are natural metagenetic expressions resulting from the rising mana level, just like orks or trolls.
Delarn
Still. If you gain the modification through genetic heritage, it should not remove from your essence since your original ADN is the modified one. It's part of you and all your cells have the same code and even more if you get cloned it is still present. Your code is built to fit with it. Your spirit is formed with this code from the first synapse to the last hair.

It's not modified it's its own. It should not be removing you a snip of essence.

But you know what the Devs will tell: If all of you around the table believe it should not cost essence then be it. And it is how it goes around my table.
Karoline
QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 18 2010, 03:33 PM) *
Still. If you gain the modification through genetic heritage, it should not remove from your essence since your original ADN is the modified one. It's part of you and all your cells have the same code and even more if you get cloned it is still present. Your code is built to fit with it. Your spirit is formed with this code from the first synapse to the last hair.

It's not modified it's its own. It should not be removing you a snip of essence.

But you know what the Devs will tell: If all of you around the table believe it should not cost essence then be it. And it is how it goes around my table.

You make an asumption that every cell in the body doesn't have the same genes through a regular gene treatment. Given the months of operation time, I figure it is quite reasonable to believe that every cell has in fact been modified, and even if it hasn't been initially, since cells replace themselves, you will eventually have all your cells having the genetic modification. Does this mean it shouldn't cost essence?

I've still yet to hear anyone respond to my question about why 'free' refers to essence but '20% reduction' doesn't since 'free' is just another way of saying '100% reduction'.
Delarn
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 09:39 PM) *
You make an asumption that every cell in the body doesn't have the same genes through a regular gene treatment. Given the months of operation time, I figure it is quite reasonable to believe that every cell has in fact been modified, and even if it hasn't been initially, since cells replace themselves, you will eventually have all your cells having the genetic modification. Does this mean it shouldn't cost essence?

I've still yet to hear anyone respond to my question about why 'free' refers to essence but '20% reduction' doesn't since 'free' is just another way of saying '100% reduction'.

But in the Gene threatement the spirit is not modified. When you are born the spirit is attached to it.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 18 2010, 06:50 PM) *
But in the Gene threatement the spirit is not modified. When you are born the spirit is attached to it.

You'd be surprised at how wrong some people might think that is.

Delarn
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 19 2010, 01:14 AM) *
You'd be surprised at how wrong some people might think that is.

Good one ... but I still think that someone born with a genetic heritage is not affected by essense lost ... And ADAPSIN is not included since it's bran new to 2070 !
Falconer
How about ghouls... HMMWV is about as close to gene treatment as you can get! (virus which rewrites/activates portion of the subjects genome)

Natural born ghouls still only have essence 5.

Draco18s
QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 18 2010, 07:32 PM) *
Good one ...

I'm "in" with the right crowd. It's a shame Waywind hasn't updated in over a year and a half.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 01:39 PM) *

Okay, I'll bite...

Shouldn't it grant not only a 20% reduction in Cost but a 20% reduction in Essence (Much like Alpha Grade ware does?) since that is its obvious intent... Free at character creation and 20% reduction after creation...

There, I asked it...

Keep the Faith
Karoline
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 18 2010, 09:54 PM) *
Okay, I'll bite...

Shouldn't it grant not only a 20% reduction in Cost but a 20% reduction in Essence (Much like Alpha Grade ware does?) since that is its obvious intent... Free at character creation and 20% reduction after creation...

There, I asked it...

Keep the Faith

Right, that's my point. People think that 'free' refers to essence cost as well as nuyen, but no one seems to think that '20% reduction' refers to essence, and I'm trying to figure out why the exact same terminology in the same paragraph has such exceedingly different readings by the same person.

Just trying to figure out why one reduction includes essence and the other doesn't for those people that think 'free' means essence.

P.S. All this discussion about 'what is a human' and 'what is a soul' isn't going to get anywhere. What you need to do is look at the rules
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 08:03 PM) *
Right, that's my point. People think that 'free' refers to essence cost as well as nuyen, but no one seems to think that '20% reduction' refers to essence, and I'm trying to figure out why the exact same terminology in the same paragraph has such exceedingly different readings by the same person.

Just trying to figure out why one reduction includes essence and the other doesn't for those people that think 'free' means essence.

P.S. All this discussion about 'what is a human' and 'what is a soul' isn't going to get anywhere. What you need to do is look at the rules

well, for the cost of the Quality, I could see someone using the argument to do so, but in the end, I really do not care, so it is a moot point (for me at least) I would guess...

As far as the rules, Well yeah, there it is...

Keep the Faith
Squinky
Well, Since someone mentioned a dev ruling I am done with this argument, but on the issue of that last question:

"As a result, the nuyen costs of transgenic genetic
enhancements for the character are reduced by 20 percent."

That line specifically refers to nuyen, the previous mention of "free" doesn't. That might be where some of the original issues started.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jan 18 2010, 08:07 PM) *
Well, Since someone mentioned a dev ruling I am done with this argument, but on the issue of that last question:

"As a result, the nuyen costs of transgenic genetic
enhancements for the character are reduced by 20 percent."

That line specifically refers to nuyen, the previous mention of "free" doesn't. That might be where some of the original issues started.

Could Be...

Keep the Faith
Karoline
Ah, I guess it is. Still, it sounds like too good a deal to me for 10BP. You get 9BP worth of a free genetic optimization AND it doesn't cost essence AND you get a 20% discount on future genetech purchases?

The first and last part alone make it a good quality, throwing in the middle part just seems like too much.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 08:14 PM) *
Ah, I guess it is. Still, it sounds like too good a deal to me for 10BP. You get 9BP worth of a free genetic optimization AND it doesn't cost essence AND you get a 20% discount on future genetech purchases?

The first and last part alone make it a good quality, throwing in the middle part just seems like too much.

It is just a single Optimization though... does it REALLY make a difference?

Keep the Faith
Karoline
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 18 2010, 10:15 PM) *
It is just a single Optimization though... does it REALLY make a difference?

Keep the Faith

Well, if this quality makes the optimization essence free, then it is the equivalent of the 20BP exceptional attribute quality only with the added bonus of giving a 20% discount on geneware and costing 10 BP less.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 08:16 PM) *
Well, if this quality makes the optimization essence free, then it is the equivalent of the 20BP exceptional attribute quality only with the added bonus of giving a 20% discount on geneware and costing 10 BP less.

If you were optimizing the character, with no regards for teh concept, I would agree... but there are a lot of other options that make a good choice to select, depending upon character concept...

Keep the Faith...
Karoline
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 18 2010, 10:19 PM) *
If you were optimizing the character, with no regards for teh concept, I would agree... but there are a lot of other options that make a good choice to select, depending upon character concept...

Keep the Faith...

True, there are plenty of qualities out there to take, but some are inherently more useful than others. It seems like a bad idea to make two qualities identical, then cut the price of one of them in half, and then give the reduced cost one an added benefit.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 10:21 PM) *
True, there are plenty of qualities out there to take, but some are inherently more useful than others. It seems like a bad idea to make two qualities identical, then cut the price of one of them in half, and then give the reduced cost one an added benefit.

Take both AND be a mage! spin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 18 2010, 08:25 PM) *
Take both AND be a mage! spin.gif

Pure Awesome...

Not Really... I have yet to see anyone actually abuse gene-tweaking at our table... not saying it does not happen, because I am sure that it does...

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith
Squinky
Would it be conceivable to take Genetic heritage, pick a genetic infusion, and have it be permanent?
Karoline
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jan 18 2010, 10:42 PM) *
Would it be conceivable to take Genetic heritage, pick a genetic infusion, and have it be permanent?

I don't think that would work, though I doubt there is anything specifically in the book you can point at and say 'that's why it doesn't work'.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 16 2010, 11:43 AM) *
That is a Quantificational fallacy (proof by example). Just because a genetic alteration treatment exists to change your hair and eye color that costs essence doesn't mean that the Genetic Heritage quality for that treatment shouldn't cost essence (getting the treatment after birth fucks with your natural DNA, hence the essence cost).

Qualia is a gene from reptiles, don't you think having that incorporated into your genetic code (from your parents) should make you fundamentally less human?

since there's an excellent chance humans may already have a copy of that gene just performing a different function...
There are humans which exist today which have the equivalent of muscle toner 4 or higher naturally.... are they less human?
Manunancy
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jan 19 2010, 05:11 AM) *
since there's an excellent chance humans may already have a copy of that gene just performing a different function...
There are humans which exist today which have the equivalent of muscle toner 4 or higher naturally.... are they less human?

I don't think so - what exists IRL is peoples with attributes ranging from 1 to 7, not from one to 11. Also expressing genetic potential differently depending on lifestyle. Even with the same genes, a couch potato and a fitness maniac will en end up quite different.

If you're going on the genetic heritage thing, another sort of possible genetic heritage would be those unlucky souls living in areas like the SOX who get some frazzled genetics from their parents. Which means probably both attributes penalties and diminished essence.

In mt opinion the essence cost should carry on : you're still adding some bits of genome who shouldn't be there. Even if you're born with them, you inherit the troubles associated with the mod along with the benefits.
Delarn
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Jan 19 2010, 06:32 AM) *
I don't think so - what exists IRL is peoples with attributes ranging from 1 to 7, not from one to 11. Also expressing genetic potential differently depending on lifestyle. Even with the same genes, a couch potato and a fitness maniac will en end up quite different.

If you're going on the genetic heritage thing, another sort of possible genetic heritage would be those unlucky souls living in areas like the SOX who get some frazzled genetics from their parents. Which means probably both attributes penalties and diminished essence.

In mt opinion the essence cost should carry on : you're still adding some bits of genome who shouldn't be there. Even if you're born with them, you inherit the troubles associated with the mod along with the benefits.

If you have 2 parents that are blind genetically ... are you sure to be born blind ? You have big chances but it's not imposible to see someone born seeing with 2 blind parents.

First : Adam told me on twitter :
adamjury

@delarnleviathan _All_ rules are made to be interpreted. It is _your game_.
about 22 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to delarnleviathan

So around my table the quality grant FREE of COST in both nuyen.gif and essence 1 Transgenic modification exept Adapsin that is new to 2070 so you can't be born with it.
Karoline
QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 19 2010, 04:29 PM) *
So around my table the quality grant FREE of COST in both nuyen.gif and essence 1 Transgenic modification exept Adapsin that is new to 2070 so you can't be born with it.

So why would anyone ever get the 'enhanced attribute' quality?
Delarn
Because Genetic heritage can only be taken once. All the qualities that have levels are stated has so ... So if you take this one as a genetic heritage from your parents then you are lucky and pay less but all other would cost you 20BPs so lucky you you can have 2 boost instead of 1.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ Jan 16 2010, 10:10 PM) *
Whatever one may construct logically, the developers have been quite clear that the quality means "zero nuyen, full essence cost."
The argument that it gives you a good availability item would be of note, except that there is only one piece of Transgenics of availability above 12 (adapsin), and it explicitly that it is brand new, so there is no way it can be tied to Genetic Heritage. Heck it is not even allowed to affect wear bought during character creation.

So, while aestetically interesting, and maybe appropriate for character background, it is really hard to make that quality make sense pointwise.

Yours,
Joel

Unless you have the genetic heritage edge, and the escaped clone one as well....
Karoline
QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 19 2010, 06:49 PM) *
Because Genetic heritage can only be taken once. All the qualities that have levels are stated has so ... So if you take this one as a genetic heritage from your parents then you are lucky and pay less but all other would cost you 20BPs so lucky you you can have 2 boost instead of 1.

Let me rephrase: Why would anyone ever take exceptional attribute instead of Genetic Heritage? It seems rather stupid to have two almost identical qualities except that one is obviously three times as good as the other.
Kalvan
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 20 2010, 06:34 AM) *
Let me rephrase: Why would anyone ever take exceptional attribute instead of Genetic Heritage? It seems rather stupid to have two almost identical qualities except that one is obviously three times as good as the other.

Because they stack?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Kalvan @ Jan 20 2010, 09:23 AM) *
Because they stack?

You're not getting it, obviously. If you're going to take ONE and ONLY ONE, why take Exceptional Attribute?
etherial
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 20 2010, 10:19 AM) *
You're not getting it, obviously. If you're going to take ONE and ONLY ONE, why take Exceptional Attribute?

And why is Exceptional Attribute in SR4A when Genetic Heritage is strictly superior?
WalksWithWiFi
Augmentation is a side optional book,
though that is not the case with my group, i am sure there might be a group out there that only
uses the main book(SR4a/SR4).
Exceptional attribute has a place at their table?
Delarn
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 20 2010, 11:34 AM) *

Because a careful GM would not allow it for attribute augmentation and only for Trangenic treatment. (IE The list with the Adapsin but Adapsin excluded. )
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Jan 18 2010, 11:32 PM) *

Look up the gene called myostatin (edit) recessive. Its actually rather impressive how stupidly strong people with it can get. I'd say they hit 10 at least without too much trouble.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (etherial @ Jan 20 2010, 10:38 AM) *
And why is Exceptional Attribute in SR4A when Genetic Heritage is strictly superior?

Because not everyone will be gene enhanced, but some people will be 'naturally' superior.
Glyph
Yeah, but why would a player pick it is the question.

It's a moot question, though. The argument was comparing the Exceptional Attribute quality with Delarn's house rule for the Genetic Heritage quality, where it doesn't cost Essence. And apparently he resolves the issue by not letting people get the Genetic Optimization tweak with Genetic Heritage. So nothing to even compare any longer.
Makki
maybe one needs both
Ophis
QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 18 2010, 08:15 PM) *
But it's still genetic factors. Then you need a name giver to give a name. Human are name givers ? Then the next generation is name gived. Genetic Heritage grant a mod without essence.

Surge isn't alteration of the subjects DNA, its a phenotypic expression that is caused by a sudden increase in mana level. I repeat the genes that cause the surge effects are naturally part of the creature.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Makki @ Jan 21 2010, 03:55 AM) *
maybe one needs both

You're not getting it either, obviously. If you're going to take ONE and ONLY ONE, why take Exceptional Attribute?

Mordinvan
Because you're playing a character who's parents didn't have access to genetic augmentation?
Delarn
QUOTE (Ophis @ Jan 21 2010, 04:22 PM) *
Surge isn't alteration of the subjects DNA, its a phenotypic expression that is caused by a sudden increase in mana level. I repeat the genes that cause the surge effects are naturally part of the creature.

Like the herited Gene... they are natural to the new born.
Shinobi Killfist

At character creation there is no reason. You can theoretically pick up exceptional attribute in play though, you can't pick up genetic heritage in play. Not that I care either way, this quality is either fairly weak or too strong either way its a loser.
Squinky
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jan 21 2010, 04:16 AM) *
Yeah, but why would a player pick it is the question.

It's a moot question, though. The argument was comparing the Exceptional Attribute quality with Delarn's house rule for the Genetic Heritage quality, where it doesn't cost Essence. And apparently he resolves the issue by not letting people get the Genetic Optimization tweak with Genetic Heritage. So nothing to even compare any longer.

Just a quick clarification, it's not a house rule. He is just playing it as it reads smile.gif

Draco18s
QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 21 2010, 02:50 PM) *
Like the herited Gene... they are natural to the new born.

It's all natural so long as you artificially alter the parent?
Kalvan
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 21 2010, 10:42 PM) *

To the child, yes!
Delarn
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 22 2010, 04:42 AM) *

Take salmon gene and put it in a strawberry. (OGM is that) The next generation will grow with the gene and they are no longer flagged has Salmon genes. They are a new brand of strawberries that can sustain cold better.

Alteration in a previous generation, but the next generation is not altered again it doesn't have the shock of the threatment and thus making it natural to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012