Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eclipse Phase RPG
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
WyldKnight
Awesome for you, not us. They swarmed like nothing else and forced us back because there were so many it was like getting zerg rushed by Cthulhu's care bears. They were the worse thing on that station and we took extra pleasure in ridding the universe of them. To bad I have a horrible feeling their going to return somewhere down the line. With our luck there will be a Drop Bear morph.
nemafow
Haha that is awesome.
Nychuus
Just got my dead-tree copy. I'm impressed on how different it looks form the pdf format. IMO it looks much better on paper.

All that aside, after I finish reading (and hopefully by then my copy of Sunward comes in) I'm planning a campaign of my own. But I see a problem with character creation, do you guys use any character generator out there specifically?
Grinder
Has anyone bought the new adventure yet?
nezumi
QUOTE (Nychuus @ Oct 1 2010, 04:59 AM) *
But I see a problem with character creation, do you guys use any character generator out there specifically?

I use the user-made excel sheet linked from the EP site.
Adam
QUOTE (Grinder @ Oct 1 2010, 09:20 AM) *
Has anyone bought the new adventure yet?

Enough people have that we've broken even on it already... wink.gif

To better serve buyers, we moved Glory and the GM Screen into distinct purchases on Friday, as well: http://eclipsephase.com/breaking-best-thing
Grinder
I was asking in the hope of getting a few feedbacks and reviews on it. wink.gif
Adam
There is one review up on DriveThru already: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_revi...oducts_id=84170

Which reminds me -- if you've bought our PDFs, we would really appreciate if you spend 10 minutes to write a quick review of them. smile.gif
Adam
Eclipse Phase nominated in 2 Golden Geek categories: Best Artwork/Presentation and Best Free Game: http://rpggeek.com/thread/570092/2010-gold...ced-voting-open

Voting on this award has some requirements: "As usual, voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient) or voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar."

If you fit those requirements, please go vote!
Ed_209a
I read the PDF and found it interesting,

One thing made me curious though. When a character resleeves or egocasts, he could really be sending an identical copy of himself into the new body, and then killing himself.

Are we intended to ignore that possibility for the sake of the setting, or is there some mention of a technological way to maintain continuity of consciousness that I missed? It seems a little depressing to think that my character will be dying every session or so, even if I immediately bring in an identical character to replace it.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Oct 19 2010, 04:24 PM) *
I read the PDF and found it interesting,

One thing made me curious though. When a character resleeves or egocasts, he could really be sending an identical copy of himself into the new body, and then killing himself.

Are we intended to ignore that possibility for the sake of the setting, or is there some mention of a technological way to maintain continuity of consciousness that I missed? It seems a little depressing to think that my character will be dying every session or so, even if I immediately bring in an identical character to replace it.

This issue is extremely subjective and depends on your personal epistemological views. Personally, I believe that memory is continuity of consciousness, and that an identical copy of a person is the same person up until the moment of divergence. Basically, it's only a problem if you think it is.
KarmaInferno
I am sure that the debate has raged endlessly among the inhabitants of the setting as well.

-k
Ed_209a
Now that I think about it, Star Trek has the same quandary, and we never worry about it...

I think we are supposed to not read so much into it, and take it as the "load savegame button" it is meant to be.

nezumi
They do describe egocasting as a continuity of consciousness. You are aware of being in one location and, over a course of an hour or so, become aware of being somewhere else instead. Egocasting is normally done while conscious. through incremental sending, validating and deleting, although I don't know that it's that much worse if done while unconscious (since you're not sending an actual consciousness per se.

Adam
Been awhile since I've dropped a notice about new releases; here's a summary of stuff that came out in November, including An Infinite Horizon, the fiction from our upcoming 200-page sourcebook Gatecrashing: http://adamjury.com/2010/ipad-notes-eclipse-phase-updates/

Also, in October, we split the GM Screen and Glory into distinct electronic titles so people can buy just one or the other if they like: http://eclipsephase.com/breaking-best-thing
hobgoblin
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 20 2010, 08:57 AM) *
I am sure that the debate has raged endlessly among the inhabitants of the setting as well.

Hell, the jovian republic exists (partially) because of that issue...
WyldKnight
I've found I enjoy the game a lot more when the GM doesn't pull "everybody dies for story" deaths. If we're going into a suicide mission then I prepare accordingly with a morph I don't care about losing and gear I can easily recover from sacrificing. If I have an expensive implant or piece of gear thats suddenly lost and there was no way for me to do anything about it I'd be pissed. If it's not ok in other games I don't think it should be in EP either. Thankfully we all complained enough that our GM never did it again.
Tanegar
Where can I get a hardcopy GM's screen? Drivethrurpg only seems to have it as a PDF.
Adam
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 3 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Where can I get a hardcopy GM's screen? Drivethrurpg only seems to have it as a PDF.

DriveThruRPG only sells electronic material. smile.gif

Any game store can order you the Gamemaster's Pack (GM Screen + Glory). Its vitals are:

ISBN: 978-0-9845835-1-5
MSRP: $24.99
Pages: 4-Panel Screen + 24 pages [Color]
Catalog #: PS+21100
Ramaloke
So I just downloaded the PDF, it is gorgeous and I think I'll be getting a hardcopy. Love the artwork, its fantastic and I love the setting. Now to see if I can find a game.
nezumi
Always space online! There's one at www.rpol.net (although we are in dire need of additional GMs - three just isn't enough.)
Adam
Gatecrashing PDF and the Gatecrashing Hack Pack are available as of now: http://eclipsephase.com/gatecrashing-preview-and-pdf-release
BishopMcQ
Ramaloke--You can also check out Infrno.net -- virtual tabletop with VOIP and video.
Grinder
QUOTE (Adam @ Dec 22 2010, 08:30 PM) *
Gatecrashing PDF and the Gatecrashing Hack Pack are available as of now: http://eclipsephase.com/gatecrashing-preview-and-pdf-release

Picked it up yesterday and love it! Great work, as usual (and as expected)! love.gif
Thanee
Good to see this thread being quite active.

Merry Christmas! smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Grinder
Gatecrashing is cool, but why are there not sample characters in the book?
Adam
It was already over page count and over budget. Sample character pages are expensive.
Grinder
Would have paid $5 more for it. Any chance this might become an additional release in the near future?
Adam
No plans as such. If you want character stats, I suggest pillaging from the adventures we've released, if you have yet to do so. And there will be more of those in the future, for sure.
Grinder
I don't want stats, I want inspirational character ideas! lick.gif
tete
Hi Adam, I just bought all the EP pdfs off drive thru last night, any idea when these titles will go POD on there? Also will the GM screen be possible to be POD? thanks!
Adam
We're still noodling around with POD options. We don't think that really small titles provide much value in POD, so they will probably be compilations of some sort.
Yerameyahu
I played a one-shot with some friends. I can't comment on the game mechanic (if anything, the d100 roll seemed very harsh all the time), but the module was excellent. Equal parts Marathon and Deep Star Six, a real psychological space horror thriller. Most of that is due to my GM friend (hehe), but kudos to Eclipse Phase anyway.
KarmaInferno
It is a credit to the setting that despite the player characters being effectively immortal and having a vast array of powers, they STILL get creeped out and fearful on a regular basis in Eclipse Phase.

I mean, last game I played I was a freaking sentient cloud of nanites, and I still spend much of the game going OH SHIT OH SHIT WE'RE SO SCREWED.

-k
nezumi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 15 2011, 09:55 AM) *
I played a one-shot with some friends. I can't comment on the game mechanic (if anything, the d100 roll seemed very harsh all the time), but the module was excellent. Equal parts Marathon and Deep Star Six, a real psychological space horror thriller. Most of that is due to my GM friend (hehe), but kudos to Eclipse Phase anyway.

Which module?
Yerameyahu
Dunno. The one that's equal parts Marathon and Deep Star Six. biggrin.gif Wake up on the broken space station?
BishopMcQ
That should be Continuity.
nezumi
smile.gif Glad you liked it!
Yerameyahu
We did. smile.gif Some liberties were taken with the setting (I'm told), but nothing crazy. I don't want to give anything away for others, either. wink.gif
BishopMcQ
I've run that adventure several times for different groups. The setting makes it very easy for GMs to make edits both to change the pacing, but also to really tie in the characters in a situation where they might otherwise take a sideline role.
Adam
In preparation for some translations and POD availability of the Quick-Start Rules, we have released a slightly refined version of them -- for free, of course! You can download them directly from our page or from DriveThruRPG.

The QSR contains rules to play, a short adventure -- Mind the WMD -- and sample characters.
Adam
And another update. woot for catching up!

The Sunward PDF (and Hack Pack) have been updated with some minor corrections and visual touchups. It's a free download at DriveThruRPG if you've already bought either of the titles -- hit this link for the download: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/account.php

And if you haven't bought an electronic copy of Sunward yet:

Sunward: http://bit.ly/9ZZzra

Sunward Hack Pack: http://bit.ly/9INy9j

When I sent out the update email notifications via DriveThru, I noticed that only about 65% of Eclipse Phase buyers tick the box that allows us to send you emails about updates to our PDFs. Please tick this box. It lets us serve you better. smile.gif
Adam
Our next print title, Gatecrashing, will be, well, crashing into stores on February 2nd: http://eclipsephase.com/gatecrashing-stree...te-february-2nd
Grinder
Got it today - love it! Very good job!
Btw, Jason Hardy and David Hill wrote parts of it: which ones would that be?
nezumi
So they did. Is that normal, for a line developer to also freelance for another line?
BishopMcQ
Nezumi--That depends on the Line Developer, the IP they are leading, and how prolific both are. I know some Line Developers (like Jason) who supplement their income with additional freelance work. Others are generally too busy to take on outside work, and focus on their primary lines but will pick up projects that they adore or which mean something to them personally to work on.

It is very similar to Freelancers who have a full time job, and do some work on the side by writing.
Rob Boyle
QUOTE (Grinder @ Feb 5 2011, 12:14 PM) *
Btw, Jason Hardy and David Hill wrote parts of it: which ones would that be?

Jason did the section on rumored gates, some of the gate anomaly sidebars, and the first draft of the gatehopper travelogue. David did some spot writing on extrasolar environments and research missions.

Grinder
Thanks for the info smile.gif

What I find odd is the chapter order: first you have "Exploration Mission" followed by "Extrasolar Environments" after that it continues with the other types of gatecrashing missions. I would have swapped "Exploration Mission" and
"Extrasolar Environments" personally, to have all tpyes of gatecrashing mission right in order.
Fix-it
just reading through Gatecrashing, all good until I got to the Giza section.

INTERGALACTIC CHAT ROULETTE? REALLY???
Adam
REALLY!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012