Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spells are strong ...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jun 23 2010, 03:24 PM) *
Firearms: DV is reduced by 1 per hit
Magic: DV is reduced by 1 per hit, and entirely negated if the resistance check equals or exceeds the number of hits the mage gets.

Actually,
Firearms: if defender gets more hits on Reaction than attacker on offense => entirely negated, otherwise DV reduced by Body+Armor hits
Magic: if defender gets more hits on Willpower than attacker on offense => entirely negated.

Damage from direct combat spells is not reduced by hits. The base damage (force) either hits or it dosn't. The only variable part of the damage is if the Mage chooses to apply net hits to damage.

Against firearms the defender gets 2 opportunities to mitigate damage, against Magic you get 1.
Mäx
QUOTE (Gamer6432 @ Jun 23 2010, 10:15 PM) *
And correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it in Shadowrun to cast a spell you don't need to utter an arcane phrase or do any arm/hand gestures, correct?

Noticing spell casting is a perception test with treshold of 6-force so spells of gorce 6 or more are very obvious.

QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 23 2010, 10:41 PM) *
Damage from direct combat spells is not reduced by hits. The base damage (force) either hits or it dosn't. The only variable part of the damage is if the Mage chooses to apply net hits to damage.

In a game with no optional/house rules in play, the damage of aa direct combat spell is force+nethits so every hit defender gets does reduce damage.
Warlordtheft
Forgot:
Fire Arms: No limit to number of hits
Magic:Hits limited by force of spell
Ol' Scratch
<shrugs> Most of my characters, without outside help, can take more than a couple shots from firearms and keep on going. Unless I specifically build an anti-magic character, few of them can handle a single overcast Stunbolt, let alone a double cast one. Your mileage may vary.
Mäx
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jun 23 2010, 11:20 PM) *
Forgot:
Fire Arms: No limit to number of hits
Magic:Hits limited by force of spell

Unless your the luckiest person alive, thats not a problem that comes up often most likely never in case of overcasting spells around force 10.
And if you happen to actually get 10+ net hits on a force then spell, who cares they allready dead/unconcius from 20 points of damage.
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 23 2010, 11:24 PM) *
<shrugs> Most of my characters, without outside help, can take more than a couple shots from firearms and keep on going.

Then the opposition just isn't using enought of a gun. grinbig.gif
Whipstitch
Well, if most of his characters are trolls or orks, that might do it as well. 15+ dice to resist and a Pain Editor get you pretty far in life. It's a lot easier to make a mundane character that can shrug off the brunt of a heavy pistol's damage than it is to build a mundo that can ignore mana bolts from a lowly 8 dice wage mage. Part of the problem is the simple fact that the latter has a pretty free hand when it comes to choosing his damage value whereas grunts are stuck with whatever equipment they have on hand, for good or ill.
BlueMax
I got here late, all the classics have come up.

Grenades: but they can be detected by machines and norms. Thus not nearly as cool as a dude who can blow up the world with his mind.
Optional rules: to mask the flaws in the system.
Freak rolls: For that one in a million that happens in every theoretical run.

Did I miss anything?

Suggestion: If Magic is powerful, play a Mage. This is exactly what my players have done. We have but one true mundane, thats is to say not magical or TM, and he is an Astral Hazing - Arcane Arresting Trauma Dampener + platelet factory abusing tank, protected by a great deal of Counterspelling.

Then I start throwing Mana Static at the players.

BlueMax
Whipstitch
Yeah, back when I mostly played rather than GM'd I once half-jokingly referred to the game as Mage: The Shadowrun due to all 6 of us wanting to be Awakened.
Cheops
Anything a sam can do a mage can do as well.

Someone says that you can use a gun or a grenade. Well, nothing stops a mage from doing that.
Someone says that drones gank mages. Well, mages can use drones as well.
He can wear camo. He can wear the exact same security armor as the rest of his Red Samurai buddies.
He can take advantage of technology just as much as anyone else.

The street sam needs help smuggling his cyberwear around the city.
The street sam needs to go to extreme lengths to conceal his weapons.
The street sam can't instantly conjure bad-ass combat drones to his side. (they're bound by the laws of physics)
The street sam can't turn himself into a living radar that can sense everyone around him and what they are thinking.

There is nothing that any mundane can do that some sort of awakened character can't do better. (exception = TMs)

Good luck finding my mage when I nuke you from on high with my crow form's bad-ass invisible laser eye beams!!! Bwahahahaha.
Cheops
Dangit! Twice in two days. Darn double posts.
tagz
I see it as fairly reasonable right now.

Yes, magic is scary. So are guns, explosives, drowning, and dragons.

Magic has the advantage of bypassing most mundane defenses against it, leaving only another magical force to defend against it. The magician pays for this advantage with a quality, having to purchasing spells, and taking drain. Really, I only see the last one as more then a minor hindrance, but the others should be noted. Anyhow, they DO pay for the advantage they receive.

Guns have the advantage of being easier to get and plentiful. I don't always agree with Mäx, sometimes you don't need bigger guns, sometimes you just need more. A Sam can likely handle 5 groups of 4 grunts if he's got some cover, an automatic, and enough ammo. A mage will either have to target one at a time to keep drain low or hope that THIS group is the last one, and if it's not...

I think the biggest problem most groups and GMs have with magic is that they don't use the rules "surrounding" magic use enough. There are rules about tracking astral signatures and recognizing auras for a reason. Mental manipulation is obvious to the victim and the rules on noticing spellcasting make it fairly easy to spot the mage despite metatype or if he "looks like a hacker". All spells used in a crime are considered premeditated spell use. Sure, you don't hunt down runners for every little thing, but that doesn't mean the megas, the government, the LEOs, etc, won't keep files and records for any number of uses such as extortion, arresting you the moment you cross onto their territory, etc.

But finally, I don't think there is anything WRONG with saying magic is deadly and hard to defend against. It is. If you don't think it is it'll likely end up killing you.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Cheops @ Jun 23 2010, 09:10 PM) *
There is nothing that any mundane can do that some sort of awakened character can't do better. (exception = TMs)

And get cyberware.
And use electronic aids for targeting.
And functioning in a background count.
etc.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jun 23 2010, 09:49 PM) *
And get cyberware.
etc.

Operate in spaaaaaace.
Cheops
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 23 2010, 10:52 PM) *
Operate in spaaaaaace.

Or just about any environment in Target: Wastelands. Touche!
Gamer6432
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jun 23 2010, 02:49 PM) *
And get cyberware.
etc.

Any mage can use 'ware. Using Alpha grade bioware can yield some pretty good results with only a one point hit to your maximum Magic/Resonance attribute.
Glasses or goggles don't cost essence and can grant all the benefits of an Image Link, Smartlink, et all.
Mages can also learn metamagic abilities that allow them to effectively ignore Background Count around them
cndblank
Magic is also effected by Cover.

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jun 23 2010, 02:24 PM) *
Not as simple as that, in a combat spell vs gun comparison:

Firearms: Reaction+Armor+Body + dodge (if you sacrifice your next action)
Magic: Willpower + Counterspelling (which can incude Conterspelling foci)

Firearms: Affected by cover
Magic: Affected by background count

Firearms: Armor>DV, P is now S
Magic: S is less drain than P

Firearms: DV is reduced by 1 per hit
Magic: DV is reduced by 1 per hit, and entirely negated if the resistance check equals or exceeds the number of hits the mage gets.

Whipstitch
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jun 23 2010, 12:04 PM) *
You're assuming the mage and the sam are both standing in the open in a well-lit (but not overlit) space. If there's cover available, the sam runs for cover. Break LOS, and the number of ways the mage can kill you goes way down. Pop smoke, dive for cover, circle around, shoot the mage in the back. Sure, if you're dumb enough to just stand there and let the other guy kill you, you're gonna die. Doesn't really prove anything.

Except that magicians have more tools for countering these modifiers than the Samurai does in many instances. Hell, a Magician can cast spells from around corners with a periscope, for god's sake!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 23 2010, 06:04 PM) *
Except that magicians have more tools for countering these modifiers than the Samurai does in many instances. Hell, a Magician can cast spells from around corners with a periscope, for god's sake!

Which they take a negative modifier for...

If appropriate modifiers are applied consistently, then magic does lose a lot of its "brokenness", as has been mentioned previously...

Keep the Faith
Whipstitch
And that's why you get cybereyes.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 23 2010, 06:08 PM) *
And that's why you get cybereyes.

But cybereyes do not negate all of your penalties though...

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith
Whipstitch
You don't need to negate all of the penalties. You need to negate enough to beat Willpower and the samurai is toast.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Jun 23 2010, 07:26 AM) *
Well, force 8 is a massive spell. I think I'ver never cast anything above 6 in all these years of playing magicians. If the Troll-Sam gets out his Panther, to do cry "firearms are way to strong"?

A mage only needs a magic 4 to have a force 8 spell up his sleeves at all times.

In previous editions I'd be saying the same thing. I've never cast a spell over force 6. In SR4 I rarely cast a spell below force 6. Heck the mage in the OPs example used powerball at force 8 which did what 7Pdrain. A magic 5 mage with stunball and sling force 9 stunballs for a measly 5P drain. Add in spirits and ridiculous versatility and mages seem to be playing with a marked deck.

Mages are the only character type in SR4 where I have to go out of my way not to be overly powerful when building the character. Usually if I just build a character they end up fine, mages with things like overcasting go from reasonable looking to overpowered just by how you play the character.

Oh and for those claiming grenades.

1 crap scatter rules.
2. the damage is reduced every meter from the blast point.
3. they get armor
4. The damage does not increase due to well placed throws shots, so 10P max and it is resisted down.

Yeah we can make it better for the sams by going with chemical weapons, but sams have to go to things like that to stay afloat with a basic vanilla mage.
Whipstitch
And let's not get things twisted here: I am certainly not arguing that it's impossible to build a samurai that could kill the average magician. My problem with Magicians is that you can build one whose magic abilities are primarily built around doing support and legwork but as long as he has a decent spellcasting skill he can be pressed into service as an emergency artillery piece for the cost of learning Power Ball. That's a li'l... weird.
Redcrow
Thats why I prefer to use DV=F instead of DV=F/2. It really helps to cut down on 'artillery mage syndrome'. The spells themselves remain powerful, but they certainly aren't thrown around haphazardly anymore. I rather like the Mage to be more of a support character, backing up the Street Sams and Phys Ads rather than standing on the front lines shoulder to shoulder with them.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 23 2010, 09:41 PM) *
And let's not get things twisted here: I am certainly not arguing that it's impossible to build a samurai that could kill the average magician. My problem with Magicians is that you can build one whose magic abilities are primarily built around doing support and legwork but as long as he has a decent spellcasting skill he can be pressed into service as an emergency artillery piece for the cost of learning Power Ball. That's a li'l... weird.

Yup. That is one of my main issues with mages. You can make a fairly normal plane jane mage who looks balanced. Buy a couple spells and you are a kicking out heavy weapons damage.

I'm not sure I'd go with redcrows idea since it actually makes a large range of the support spells almost unavailable as well.
Ol' Scratch
As I mentioned earlier, if you just get rid of overcasting (which was a goofy addition in 4th Edition anyway), almost all the problems disappear.
fistandantilus4.0
Then you lose the flavor of the mage managing to kill themselves through casting more than they can handle.

Of course, there's so many ways to mitigate drain now, I've never actually seen that happen out side of a novel or published game.
Ol' Scratch
Yeah, lemme count how many times that's ever happened in a game I've played in. 0. Well, that was fast. smile.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 24 2010, 06:46 AM) *
As I mentioned earlier, if you just get rid of overcasting (which was a goofy addition in 4th Edition anyway), almost all the problems disappear.

Well you should probaply also get rid of multicasting to if your doing that, becouse otherwise i just cast 2 or force 5 stunballs if i cant cast that one force12.
Shinobi Killfist
Or instead of getting rid of overcasting go back to earlier editions and pay for the force of the spell kind of like technomancers. You want a force 9 stun ball go for it, it costs 9 karma and is a hard spell to find and takes a really long time to research/learn. And the highest you can start with at char gen is 6 anyways. You'd still have the flavor of being able to take physical drain, but it would be uncommon just like in previous editions.
Falanin
Note also that the force 8 spell from the OP loses none of it's damage potential all the way out to 8 meters range. I'm sorry, but your grenade just isn't going to have the same amount of killing power, given that it loses 1 DV every 1-2 meters, depending on grenade type. Likewise, don't the 4a rules say that you don't add extra hits to DV on grenades? Good luck killing anyone in armor with less than 2-3 grenades. Compare to spells, where the first one is quite often the last one needed...
Traul
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:50 AM) *
Of course, there's so many ways to mitigate drain now, I've never actually seen that happen out side of a novel or published game.

That is because the overcasting rule was poorly conceived: no matter how much wishful thinking is put in the books, overcasting does NOT inflict more drain. If you can soak 7S, you can soak 7P. There are even situations where overcasting is less damaging to the character than normal casting: with a highly damaged Stun monitor and a clean Physical monitor, the mage can be still standing after overcasting whereas he would have crashed to normal drain.

House-rule proposal: overcasting drain remains Stun, but it switches to Force + modifier instead of F/2 + modifier.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 24 2010, 05:28 AM) *
That is because the overcasting rule was poorly conceived: no matter how much wishful thinking is put in the books, overcasting does NOT inflict more drain. If you can soak 7S, you can soak 7P. There are even situations where overcasting is less damaging to the character than normal casting: with a highly damaged Stun monitor and a clean Physical monitor, the mage can be still standing after overcasting whereas he would have crashed to normal drain.

House-rule proposal: overcasting drain remains Stun, but it switches to Force + modifier instead of F/2 + modifier.

Thats not a bad houserule at all.
FireHand
Good golly, Miss Molly. Is magic really that much of a problem in your games? SR has always had the adage, "Geek the mage first," and it still holds! Yes, magic can be powerful, but I feel the system works as written currently. Do my mages overcast regularly? Yes, they do, but there are multipe times when the mage decides to back out of going further in the 'run because he/she is running low on physical boxes of health. Is there a metagaming side to balancing stun drain vs. physical? Sure there is, but then there is metagaming going on with just about every character archetype. I mean, during my last game session we had a troll with moderate armor who shrugged off a shotgun blast point blank to his chest. Ridiculous, sure... but it was awesome at the same time.

My point is that mages may seem powerful in their own context, but I very seriously doubt you could have a group of newbie mages get together and 'run very effectively. Most mages don't have the points to spend at char creation to make themselves physical or ranged combat gumbies, let alone be able to manipulate the matrix. And whereas a good powerball may be a scene ender, with the capping rules the way they are I don't see that as overbalancing things. From what I can see, my group relies on my mage to be able to put down a group of baddies... as long as the baddies are at range. Mages are great at range, but things quickly hit the fan if the mage suddenly is in melee. Sure, they can still sling stunbolts around, but suddenly the targets become individual (unless you really want to risk taking yourself and your group out with the baddies).

Additionallym there is the drain to keep in mind. When someone fires of a flechette shotgun for 9P against a flesh target, they don't even have to worry about recoil. The Mage has to worry about rolling badly for drain. My starting character (a mage) regularly comes away from even a quickie 'run with some damage from drain. When the 'run goes into moderate length, some of that damage is physical. My very first run with the mage resulted in 7 boxes of physical damage and 6 of stun at the end of the 'run... all of it from Drain. My teammates were pretty much unscathed...

Yes, mages can be powerful, but they only have a niche. The more experience (the more karma) a mage has the more opportunity he/she has to branch out and become adept at other things... but then the karma spent doesn't get spent on magical advances.

So, that being said... let the flame war begin. I know there's gonna be people who will go about disproving me with statistics and die rolls and even char builds. Have fun!
Whipstitch
QUOTE (FireHand @ Jun 24 2010, 10:59 AM) *
My point is that mages may seem powerful in their own context, but I very seriously doubt you could have a group of newbie mages get together and 'run very effectively.

Pretty irrelevant. Newbies are newbies for roughly a session or two. A game should be friendly to newcomers but if you want it to have any staying power at all then you should never, EVER plan around the idea that the players can be consistently expected to under perform.

From what I can see, my group relies on my mage to be able to put down a group of baddies... as long as the baddies are at range.

Wait, people can close on a magician? My combat mages usually have Levitation and Detect Enemies. Between that and Control Thoughts and multi-casting Stun Bolts guys getting into point blank has never really been a problem for me. Even when it has come up, I was basically "reduced" to the same level of firepower as the Samurai, since firing grenades at point blank isn't such a hot idea either.

My starting character (a mage) regularly comes away from even a quickie 'run with some damage from drain.

It's hard for me to feel bad for mages taking the odd point of drain now and again when you consider just how many attacks they can preempt with Mob Mind or an overcast alpha strike.

Yes, mages can be powerful, but they only have a niche.

Yeah, but that niche is summoning, counterspelling, spellcasting and Astral recon/tracking. That's a hell of a niche when you consider what you can get out of Task & Spirits of Man and the right spell selection. You could literally eliminate all combat spells and remove overcasting and Magicians would still be a viable archetype since they have access to effects that either have no parallel or at least stack with mundane options, such as Illusions, Heal and Mind Control. Mind you, I don't think it'd really be a good idea, since there's a lot of history behind the combat mage concept and thematically such spells have value to the game beyond mere mechanics. But I do think it demonstrates how magicians are closer to being a bit too strong than they are to being too narrow.
FireHand
So, you're saying that a group of experienced mages can roll through their town and own it? Sure, I agree that mages with the appropriate karma builds can probably satisfy most every niche there is to be held, but at what cost to themselves? That mage who decides he needs to be the group's melee tank, so he focusses on the physical--how well-equipped will he be to take out that group shooting at him from 100 yards away? Or what about the mage who decides his group needs a hacker? After he becomes a sufficiently good hacker, does he have anything left to improve his mage abilities?

Mages themselves are karma sinks (I'd argue they're the most karma-centric archetypes in the game, though I could be wrong there...). When they start spreading themselves out with karma builds, it becomes that much more difficult to improve their own native powers. Can they be effective with tangental karma builds? Sure. But will they be able to take on that powerful wizard baddie when they come upon him/her? I'd say they'd be at a disadvantage.
FireHand
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 24 2010, 10:06 AM) *
Wait, people can close on a magician? My combat mages usually have Levitation and Detect Enemies. Between that and Control Thoughts and multi-casting Stun Bolts guys getting into point blank has never really been a problem for me.

The majority of my 'runs don't happen outdoors. They're usually in confined quarters: a hallway, or a room. Levitating doesn't work in these situations. Now, outdoors, I'd say that's a great idea... but then, since most mages are sorta shy of strong Body or armor, a usual tactic is to use the other char's as shields or cover. If you levitate away, I'm really surprised your baddies don't have the ability to then focus all of their gunfire on you.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (FireHand @ Jun 24 2010, 11:15 AM) *
So, you're saying that a group of experienced mages can roll through their town and own it?

Nope.

And shadowrun isn't D&D. You don't need a physical tank, and there's really rather few ways of making sure the GM obligingly shoots at the guy who has the most armor anyway short of him trying to solo the fight. If you want fodder, get a drone or summon a big enough spirit. As far as the Levitate thing goes, you can always combine it with Invisibility and in any case it owns the hell out of critters without ranged attacks and allows you to bypass a lot of physical obstacles. It's really quite versatile even if it's not always a perfect solution. Which, really, kind of describes Magicians in general.
Warlordtheft
Spells are only so strong as the side using them. I had a ganger do 16P worth of damage to a player from a hunting rifle (without magical suppport). While the party had 2 mages.

I have yet to feel the need to balance out mages by messing with RAW (which I hate doing-as the solution often does as much damage as it repairs). Some RP/Adventure design ways to handle mages:

1. To many targets
2. Back ground count
3. Remember to geek the mage first
4. Snipers
5. Drones, lots of drones.
6. Matrix issues anyone?
7. Opposing mages
8. Higher inititive street sams.
9. Spirits with counterspelling
10. Line of sight shennanigans
Cheops
QUOTE (FireHand @ Jun 24 2010, 05:15 PM) *
That mage who decides he needs to be the group's melee tank, so he focusses on the physical--how well-equipped will he be to take out that group shooting at him from 100 yards away?

About as effective as the street sam who puts all his eggs into the melee basket. Except the mage can still summon a spirit to help him, which even at F3 is usually still pretty good in close combat. In general Melee is a trap option in SR regardless -- anyone is sub-optimal for focusing on it and is usually doing so for concept reasons. (Edit: oops forgot the options of Shapechange and Possession traditions that make the mage better at melee than the street sam but can still also blast at 100 yards with a 3 bp Stunbolt)

Or what about the mage who decides his group needs a hacker? After he becomes a sufficiently good hacker, does he have anything left to improve his mage abilities?

Yes actually. It is very cheap to be a hacker in SR4. You won't be an uber optimized spell slinger with 20 dice to cast and 11 dice for drain but you'll probably still have 12-14 dice to cast and about 8-10 for drain. It costs 2 bp for a top of the line deck, 40 bp for 2 skill groups, and about 20 bp for programs. 15 for mage, 30 for magic 4, 32 for Spellcasting 4 and Summoning 4, 5 for a mentor spirit, and 12 for a spellcasting focus. That gives our Hacker/Mage dice pools of Hacking stuff 6-8, Spellcasting 8-13, Summoning 8-10 for 156 bps.

Not optimal but still very good in all categories. He'd also have a lot more options than the hacker who is still stuck with the same mundane options that the mage can also use.
Whipstitch
I made a Mystic Adept corporate Spider once who nearly caused a TPK by backing up his drones and Sec team with a big Plant Spirit providing Magical Guard.
Mongoose
QUOTE (IKerensky @ Jun 23 2010, 11:54 AM) *
But I am thinking Direct Physical spell are in effect more too much efficient combat wise... make you wonder why to use indirect spells at all.

Because they can affect people you can't see. If you drop an area effect indirect centered in the air just past the top of a barricade, you can get the guys hiding behind the barricade, and they get no cover. Direct spell wouldn't have any effect on them, unless you can see them, and even then you'd have mods for visibility (cover). Meanwhile, those guys are lobbing grenades over the barricade, radioing for help, zeroing in drones, calling up spirits...
For non area effect spells, there's less utility, though secondary effects (fire, acid, electricity) can still be nice.
They can also be handy vs drones / vehicles; no need to whip out 5 successes to have any effect at all. And again, with a secondary effect (typically electricity for vehicles, though acid can also be good) it can do more than simple damage.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jun 24 2010, 08:32 AM) *
Spells are only so strong as the side using them. I had a ganger do 16P worth of damage to a player from a hunting rifle (without magical suppport). While the party had 2 mages.

I have yet to feel the need to balance out mages by messing with RAW (which I hate doing-as the solution often does as much damage as it repairs). Some RP/Adventure design ways to handle mages:

1. To many targets
2. Back ground count
3. Remember to geek the mage first
4. Snipers
5. Drones, lots of drones.
6. Matrix issues anyone?
7. Opposing mages
8. Higher inititive street sams.
9. Spirits with counterspelling
10. Line of sight shennanigans

The only ones which are dealing with the mage, and not the party are
2, Half of 9 and 10

10 is exactly <pistol whip> Shenanigans is the correct word. Playing "Chase the modifier" or "Pop goes the weasel" can tire on some players.
The same goes for Background Count. If its used everywhere, you may as well say "Every mage has 2 less Magic" , where two represents a random rank of background count.

So really, its "Make more badguys to overcome the mage" or "Take magic out of the game" , that is offered in these types of lists.

BlueMax
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 24 2010, 04:28 AM) *

One guy I know is running close to that for his runs, feeling that F/2 is too weak to curb rampant spellcasting; overcasting still causes Physical damage AFAIK. Another veteran SR player I know (and a bigger fan of SR3) thinks it's a great idea to knock the F/2 to F instead.
FireHand
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jun 24 2010, 04:26 PM) *
One guy I know is running close to that for his runs, feeling that F/2 is too weak to curb rampant spellcasting; overcasting still causes Physical damage AFAIK. Another veteran SR player I know (and a bigger fan of SR3) thinks it's a great idea to knock the F/2 to F instead.

Well, as much as I hate this idea and think it's complete paranoia (I still don't see why folks think mages are too powerful), as someone with a scientific mind I would love to see some testing done on this F/2 vs. F idea. Keeping in mind this is a game... in playtesting F + Modifier, is the mage fun to play anymore? Is someone planning on playtesting this out?
Mongoose
Or you could have overcasting do physical AND stun damage equal to drain... with each success only offsetting one box of either (one box on either track, casters choice).
fistandantilus4.0
When SR4 first came out, I played it for a long time with straight Force+Modifier for drain, no divided by 2. I did it as a player, and as a GM. The mages were a lot more careful with what they did, and a lot less likely to go straight to fireballs and the like. Centering was the first metamagic taken, foci were used for drain, and spells were used when they were needed, not at a whim. Magic was dangerous again.

Good times, good times.
BlueMax
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 24 2010, 05:59 PM) *
When SR4 first came out, I played it for a long time with straight Force+Modifier for drain, no divided by 2. I did it as a player, and as a GM. The mages were a lot more careful with what they did, and a lot less likely to go straight to fireballs and the like. Centering was the first metamagic taken, foci were used for drain, and spells were used when they were needed, not at a whim. Magic was dangerous magical again.

Good times, good times.

Fist, please forgive me for correcting your post.
Whipstitch
With the normal drain rules I do tend to cast/summon constantly as a Magician, particularly as a cybered hermetic. 12 dice to soak and a Trauma damper can spoil you pretty quick.
Lanlaorn
I sincerely hope I never play with any of you "magic fascists". Why shouldn't a Magician be casting constantly? That's the whole point of the character concept, he's a spellcaster. You might as well impose some insane penalties on gun bunnies and street samurai so they can't use their guns and melee "on a whim" as well, after all firefights and close quarters combat need to be made dangerous again. Right?

Railing against magic is just a sign of an unimaginative GM, there are tons of examples of magical security, especially in Street Magic. Any lowly corporate office could have a wage mage in the security department who comes by every other month and sets up a gauntlet of multiple types of wards and patrolling spirits, when signs of magic are detected various levels of response could be deployed, such a Drones (the direct damage spells you hate so much must first overcome their Object Resistance, which the table merely lists as "6+" so use your discretion) or a wage mage miles away sending a spirit out on a remote service to magical guard duty in response to a SOS.

You don't need to have every guard patrol involve a mage providing dedicated counterspell support, just use your heads and think about what cost effective precautions would be taken. Otherwise maybe you should just play a cyberpunk RPG without magic. Punishing your players for not choosing to play the type of character whose mechanics you arbitrarily prefer is ridiculous. Magic is no more over the top lethal than anything else in this game, and fucking with it because you don't like it and/or are lazy just ruins other people's fun in the name of your ego.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012