Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 "Official Forums"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 17 2010, 03:52 AM) *
Seriously. If we're going to sit and make fun of another forum, lets go to war with the Cyberpunk 2020 forums or the WotC D&D forums or something worthwhile. Civil Wars are a mite self destructive.

Bull

And we have troll tecnomancers and hackers-the other guys don't! SO we can smash their board up real good (virtually and physically)!

CHARGE!

silly.gif
Yerameyahu
I get offended when my friends won't go get sushi with me. I go get pizza and burgers with them. Hmf. frown.gif
Stahlseele
That's because you're eating raw fish . .
Doc Chase
Next time you're in town, we'll go get sushi. nyahnyah.gif I miss Reno - every bar there is all you can eat, $20.
Yerameyahu
You know, technically it's not all raw, or fish. smile.gif Hehe.
Catadmin
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Aug 20 2010, 07:15 PM) *
Im hoping for a Rules question sub-forum so many holes in the rules in 4e frown.gif

Right here: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?board=2.0

And for the record, there is no "Peach" in my name. @=)
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 17 2010, 06:32 PM) *

But it's five-nines delicious.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 17 2010, 03:32 PM) *

Yeah, just imagine eating raw rice, your teeth would file a labor lawsuit against you for torture grinbig.gif
Cheops
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 17 2010, 07:52 AM) *
Seriously. If we're going to sit and make fun of another forum, lets go to war with the Cyberpunk 2020 forums or the WotC D&D forums or something worthwhile. Civil Wars are a mite self destructive.

Bull

I would highly recommend NOT going to war with the WotC forums. Considering what a handful of BT whackadoodles were able to accomplish then the retard trolls at WotC would rip this place to shreds.

If anyone else is over there you've probably heard of Xun_valdort (sp?) and Williamh. Those two trolls alone could keep a 50 pager going here.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Cheops @ Sep 18 2010, 07:37 AM) *
I would highly recommend NOT going to war with the WotC forums. Considering what a handful of BT whackadoodles were able to accomplish then the retard trolls at WotC would rip this place to shreds.

If anyone else is over there you've probably heard of Xun_valdort (sp?) and Williamh. Those two trolls alone could keep a 50 pager going here.

Williamh is probably one of the most talented trolls I have ever seen. He masterfully comes across as a sincere idiot.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 17 2010, 01:16 PM) *
I get offended when my friends won't go get sushi with me. I go get pizza and burgers with them. Hmf. frown.gif

I don't blame them. After filling up at sushi I notice that I spent enough money that I could have gone to a nice steak house and had a real meal.
Bull
For the record, I was joking about going to war with any other forum. It really is a bad idea, and would just make this place look even worse to outsiders. smile.gif
Stahlseele
Hmm, we could try and get 4chan to do a raid on them . . naah, that'd be a bit over the top i guess . .
Bull
No one should ever involve 4Chan. Nor visit 4Chan. THat sites a blight and is responsible for almost everything wrong with the internet frown.gif

Bull
Stahlseele
Not everything, but many a thing, certainly . .
Krypter
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 17 2010, 11:58 AM) *
No one wins, when a community -- especially a community as small as fans of a given game -- turns against itself.

If the community is so small, why split it further by adding yet another forum? Reading this thread I still don't get it.

But I'll check out the new forums anyway.
Kruger
Well, it makes sense. As the license holder, people looking at the game will want to have a "one stop shop" for the product. Catalyst not having a forum made less sense than splitting the community up.
ravensmuse
Aw, not all of 4chan is bad.

Now, which sections of the site I visit is up to the casual viewer wink.gif
Bull
Sorry Raven. All of 4Chan is bad. ANy useful material, there are better sites to go to. And 4Chan's problem is it's culture and userbase. Which needs to be nuked off the planet. smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 12 2010, 12:02 PM) *
Official forums tend to be overseen with a very heavy hand and a censorship of whatever they please. I'll stick to Dumpshock.

Seen the official forums for Star Ruler?

Main post: "This game is only half finished: everything listed on the game's box, advertisements, and even its own page are only half completed at best. There's a lot of potential here, but this game should not have gone to market yet."
Forum admin: "I agree."
(One) reference.
Adam
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 18 2010, 08:32 PM) *
Sorry Raven. All of 4Chan is bad. ANy useful material, there are better sites to go to. And 4Chan's problem is it's culture and userbase. Which needs to be nuked off the planet. smile.gif

Weren't you just saying that message board wars are a bad idea? Don't promote them, then.
Method
I think to be fair somebody should point out that there is no shortage of people talking shit about DS over there, and nobody is rushing to defend us. Not to suggest that two wrongs make a right, but if a rift forms in the community, its not just because of DS. I think it would be best for all parties if people just kept an open mind.

I have been over there lurking a bit but to be honest I haven't been very active because I haven't found much of interest just yet. A lot of the topics being discussed there are things that have been done to death over here. Say what you will about DS, but we have 8+ years worth of good SR material here, and if you know what you're looking for you could probably find something useful on just about any topic. Its going to take a long time for the official forums to compete with that. And me personally I get sick of seeing the same threads about how much runs should pay and what music people listen to while playing SR over and over every month or so. The thought of enduring that for years on a new forum while waiting for some substance is painful.
Critias
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 19 2010, 01:11 AM) *
I think to be fair somebody should point out that there is no shortage of people talking shit about DS over there, and nobody is rushing to defend us.

In all seriousness, where? Feel free to PM me with any such instance. Every time I've seen it, I've done my non-Mod best to nip it in the bud, and I won't hesitate to use the report button if I have to. In the same way I don't want die-hard DSers bagging on the SR forum, I'm not going to hang out on the SR forum and bag on DS.
Method
Well in the Welcome thread alone there are 3-4 instances, but I will concede that you and Caine Hazen seem be on hand to defend DS's honor. Caine Hazen even dropped some colored text.

I guess it was not accurate to say no one is defending DS, but there certainly are people saying negative things.
Machiavelli
I just registered to the official forum this morning and overflew the mentioned welcome thread. What can i say? There are always some ranters that think that something that is "official" would be better than anything that is "unofficial". They will recognize pretty fast that this doesn´t protect them from all the other ranters out there in the net, who are now changing to the OF as well. Basically a good choice, so we have less of them here and can establish the "professional gamer" discussion that i appreciated so much over the time i have been here.^^
Angelone
Been reading up on the offical forum, registered my name, and made a few posts. I agree with Method it's alot of the same old that's been done to death here. Some of the posters are amusing though, that father/daughter combo for one.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 19 2010, 02:32 AM) *

Well, they did go up against scientology at least . .
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 19 2010, 02:54 AM) *
Well in the Welcome thread alone there are 3-4 instances, but I will concede that you and Caine Hazen seem be on hand to defend DS's honor. Caine Hazen even dropped some colored text.

I guess it was not accurate to say no one is defending DS, but there certainly are people saying negative things.

I only really saw a couple people openly bashing DS, and it got nipped in the bud pretty fast, I thought.

/shrug

+1 for 4chan being nuked off the planet, though.
Bull
<shrug> There's a reason I haven't actively participated here in years. The conversations and the questions all pretty much rmemain the same. They change up a little, rules wise, when a new edition comes out, but otherwise...

Half the threads on the front page? Stuff I discussed back in '96 on the ShadowRN mailing list. You hang around any community long enough, and it happens. ANd it doesn't matter where you go, as far as specific game questions go, there's only so much you can really discuss before it just gets old.
Angelone
But here there be Drop Bears... hmm... maybe I'll spring those one them. New recruits or atleast fodder.
Method
Yeah and I get that, but at least here you have a robust archive of ideas and perspectives on all those topics. Even if only 1 in 10 of those repeat threads generates a useful idea, then chances are DS has 20 or 30 useful ideas on said topic, you just need to find them (which is a whole other issue). Its just going to take awhile until the official forum has that depth, which is to be expected.

Edit: In fact, thats one way in which the new forum could shine: make sure there is an effective search function now and maybe you can head off some of that repetition. smile.gif
Stahlseele
If dumpshock were google search able, that would be bliss . .
Method
I can't even imagine...
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 19 2010, 08:55 AM) *
I only really saw a couple people openly bashing DS, and it got nipped in the bud pretty fast, I thought.

/shrug

+1 for 4chan being nuked off the planet, though.

Oh god damn it.

You all have said their name 3 times.

Don't you know that is how you summon them?

Or is it 5 times like Candyman?
I forget.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Sep 20 2010, 12:28 AM) *
Oh god damn it.

You all have said their name 3 times.

Don't you know that is how you summon them?

Or is it 5 times like Candyman?
I forget.

4chan
4chan
4chan
4chan
4chan

It's all fine here. Oh, cr...
Machiavelli
Harr harr
ravensmuse
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: everyone acts as though /b/ = 4chan, when it very clearly doesn't.

This is like saying that Tangency represents all of rpg.net. Or that Youtube comments represents Youtube. Or that the Catalyst twitter represents Shadowrun (zing!).

I mentioned decent parts of the site, so I'll actually say which ones I think are decent. Anime is okay, if you can ignore the flamewars over major series. Tabletop Games comes up with some great stuff, and there's all sorts of discussion on games other than the Big Two. Cosplay / Gothic Lolita's community is pretty strong, if a little cliquish (they're costumers; are you really surprised?). Comic Books constantly come up with new contests and has all sorts of great artists hanging out on there. And there's actually a great community in both the yuri and yaoi boards (from what I'm to understand).

And most of the crap that comes from /b/ is usually stuff that came over from Something Awful. Are you ready to completely disown them too?

Message board elitism just makes me chuckle sometimes.
deek
Its all just information. You are either going to read it or not.

I'd rather have more information to choose to read than less, and I doubt I am alone.
Draco18s
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Sep 20 2010, 01:07 PM) *
And most of the crap that comes from /b/ is usually stuff that came over from Something Awful. Are you ready to completely disown them too?

Yes.
The only thing SA hasn't managed to shit on is Dwarf Fortress and instead started one of the most epic community fortresses ever built.
I have yet to see anything else SA has done that's been constructive.
Mooncrow
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Sep 20 2010, 12:07 PM) *
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: everyone acts as though /b/ = 4chan, when it very clearly doesn't.

This is like saying that Tangency represents all of rpg.net. Or that Youtube comments represents Youtube. Or that the Catalyst twitter represents Shadowrun (zing!).

I mentioned decent parts of the site, so I'll actually say which ones I think are decent. Anime is okay, if you can ignore the flamewars over major series. Tabletop Games comes up with some great stuff, and there's all sorts of discussion on games other than the Big Two. Cosplay / Gothic Lolita's community is pretty strong, if a little cliquish (they're costumers; are you really surprised?). Comic Books constantly come up with new contests and has all sorts of great artists hanging out on there. And there's actually a great community in both the yuri and yaoi boards (from what I'm to understand).

Message board elitism just makes me chuckle sometimes.

It's yaoi community is pretty vile actually, or at least it was when I hung out there - they're the ones who taught me what "guro" meant... Anime's signal to noise ratio is way to high to ever get anything useful and the faux elitism is off the charts. Tabletop Games/Comic Books aren't bad, I suppose, though nothing special either.

Cosplay is the one community I would agree is actually good, but god help you if you're a newbie wanting to join.

In other words - I still wouldn't shed a tear for any of it if it meant getting rid of /b/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012