Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free Spirit PC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Irion
Sometimes I wonder, if people are not able to do basic calculations or if they are just to fucking lazy to do so.

Assumption:
All attributes are raised with Force.
Raising Force costs as much as raising magic.

Question: How high do I have to raise the Force of my spirit in order to get the hole package for free?

Well lets to the math.
First of all you start with force 2 and all attributes 2. This would have cost you about 90BP.
From 3 to 5 every BP in force is worth 10 BP (nine if you do not raise edge).
So:
Force 3: 80 (90) Free BPs.
Force 4: 160 (180) Free BPs.
Force 5: 240 (270) Free BPs.
This means: If you just raise your Force to 5, you would have gotten Attributes worth 320 to 360 BP for a the Cost of 250BP.

So you can't be serious with that, can you?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 24 2010, 11:16 AM) *
Sometimes I wonder, if people are not able to do basic calculations or if they are just to fucking lazy to do so.
If one were snide, one could ask the same about grammar and spelling.

Assumption:

Question: How high do I have to raise the Force of my spirit in order to get the hole package for free?

Well lets to the math.
First of all you start with force 2 and all attributes 2. This would have cost you about 90BP.
So:
This means: If you just raise your Force to 5, you would have gotten Attributes worth 320 to 360 BP for a the Cost of 250BP.
Shouldn't the basic calculation here be 250 BP + 30 BP = 280 BP for raising the Force to 5?
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 24 2010, 12:16 PM) *

Assumption:

Well lets to the math.
So:

So you can't be serious with that, can you?

Lets see what else you get for free,
Can't read / see AR
Can't use VR - these 2 mean no technological communication for you.
If someone gets your formula, they own you.
Can be permenantly banished (must buy specific power to avoid)
Cannot earn Karma without siphoning from other players (must buy specific power to avaoid)
Cannot augment stats without using health spells (those spell must be sustained without access to sustaining foci)
Routine equiptment (like sense enhancing gear, weapons, communications) cannot be used if you take advantage of your primary movement advantage.
Have no rights (or you are newly enfranchised based on your story location) discrimination time.
Vulnerable to FAB
Cannot augment drain resistance without raising Force

And look, all that without cursing, or attacking anyone.
Laodicea
Right. you shouldn't be a free spirit if you want to be a hacker.

Communication with your team is still simpler than any technological means. You take a spirit friend pact with all of them and have a direct psychic link.

The advantages of being a meta-planar being still outweigh the disadvantages heavily enough. Particularly access to the Spirit Powers. Fear, movement, and Engulf are all ridiculously good.
Neraph
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Sep 24 2010, 12:23 PM) *
The advantages of being a meta-planar being still outweigh the disadvantages heavily enough. Particularly access to the Spirit Powers. Fear, movement, and Engulf are all ridiculously good.

At the appropriate Force. A 6 Dicepool Fear isn't going to do a whole heck of a lot. 3x movement speed is nice, but not game-changing where it counts, and Engulf is seriously a joke. I've never seen it be effective.
Laodicea
Right. So we're left with 4 options.
1. the overpowered option mentioned in the second post of this thread by me.
2. the underpowered option mentioned in the second post of this thread by me.
3. the unthinkable option which is apparently what the designers intended.
4. toss out this shit and houserule the whole PC free spirit thing as several people have proposed doing here.

I think option 2 or 4 are probably the wisest course of action for actual play. If its a high-powered game I'd go for option 1 over option 2.

edit: what are you talking about with engulf being crappy? it's a melee attack that deals instant damage = Force + net hits, and grapples the target, causing Force damage every IP of the spirit. It arguably does not require being in melee range. It doesnt penalize you -2 for sustaining it. You could potentially engulf a different person on every IP.
sabs
You forgot 5.
Don't let people play Free PC's at all.
Better yet, don't let people play anything from RC smile.gif
Irion
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 24 2010, 05:10 PM) *
If one were snide, one could ask the same about grammar and spelling.

Shouldn't the basic calculation here be 250 BP + 30 BP = 280 BP for raising the Force to 5?

I ad sworn it would never happen to me, but I am not thinking in numbers anymore.
Well, I took it into accout by eliminating it from both sides.

Formula: (F-2)*10+(F-2)*80(90)=(F-2)*10+X
Kicked the two (F-2)*10 and got to X =(F-2)*80(90)
In the end I added the attributes I allready had 100BP (*darn it, here I forgot force).
So in die End I had "Free BP in Attributes(Force)"=100 + (Force-2)*80 Force: 2-5
Now I looked when it hits the 250. Thats about Force 4.
@TommyTwoToes
Can be permenantly banished (must buy specific power to avoid)

Wich is the equivalent to: Can only be killed by Thor shot. Well, what a disadvantage.

If someone gets your formula, they own you.

Well, because it is so much harder to implant a bomb in the head of a person. (Nope, it is not)

Routine equiptment (like sense enhancing gear, weapons, communications) cannot be used if you take advantage of your primary movement advantage.

You no what a disadvantage is supposed to be? This is at best a limitation. (As a matter of fact, you are unable to make use of most visual sense enhancing gear, since you do not see AR, but thats an other point)
kzt
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Sep 24 2010, 02:04 AM) *
Depending on the tradition of the mage, the spirit may well know what a report is and could have been one of the team leaders on THAT report, who kicked off prior to its completion. Or atleast think it is.

I'll admit that I failed to point out that creatures made of magical fire that do extra special damage to anything they touch probably don't do well with cabinets full of paper, but it's seems kind of an obvious issue.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 24 2010, 01:02 PM) *
@TommyTwoToes

Wich is the äuivalent to: Can only be killed by Thor shot. Well, what a disadvantage.

Any mage who gets ahold of your formula can banish you, forever. The population of mages is much larger than the population of folks with access to command a Thor shot.

Well, because it is so much harder to implant a bomb in the head of a person. (Nope, it is not)

They don't even have to be in the room with you to acomplish this. You must have some item that has your formula sitting on the physical plane for you to exist. I beleive that a mage can also get your spirit formula from observing you (but I am not positive on that one.)

You no what a disadvantage is supposed to be? This is at best a limitation. (As a matter of fact, you are unable to make use of most visual sense enhancing gear, since you do not see AR, but thats an other point)

explain to me how limitations that limit you are not disadvantages?
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (kzt @ Sep 24 2010, 01:14 PM) *
I'll admit that I failed to point out that creatures made of magical fire that do extra special damage to anything they touch probably don't do well with cabinets full of paper, but it's seems kind of an obvious issue.

What's paper?
Mooncrow
QUOTE (kzt @ Sep 24 2010, 01:14 PM) *

What tradition are you using that can only summon fire elementals?
Irion
explain to me how limitations that limit you are not disadvantages?

Alright. I will explain the differance between an disadvantage and a limitation.

For example:
You may fly by the power of thought up to high of 1000m.
But it comes with a price: From now on you are allergic to penuts.

Limitation: You are not able to fly higher.
Disadvantage: Allergy against penuts.

Why? Because a normal person would not be able to fly at all. And due to that fact, she would also not be able to fly higher then 1000 m.
naga-nuyen
wow, okay from the information that was posted, and reading the rules it is time to make a Free spirit. This is by RAW, but if your personal interpretation on it is different, would you go PM a developer and get their input....other than that it is your take on RAW...this one is agreed upon by both Aaron and Synner by the look of it. (in forums it is hard to get an absolute final ruling)

Cost of Race: 250 BP
Base stats: Body: 2, Agility: 2, Reaction: 2, Strength: 2, Charisma: 2, Intuition: 2, Logic: 2, Willpower: 2, Essence: 2, Force/Magic: 2, Edge: 2
Tradition: Materialization, summoned by Druid. Base drain stats: Willpower + intuition
Base racial abilities: Magician, banishment resistance, Immunity to normal weapons, spirit pact powers

Lets raise the stats then:
First we raise Force: 2+2=4 for 20 BP, then we raise Drain stats and edge to = force for 60 BP total of 80BP
Final stats: Body: 2, Agility: 2, Reaction: 2, Strength: 2, Charisma: 2, Intuition: 4, Logic: 2, Willpower: 4, Essence: 4, Force/Magic: 4, Edge: 4
Tradition: Materialization, summoned by Druid. Base drain stats: Willpower + intuition
Base racial abilities: Magician, banishment resistance, Immunity to normal weapons, spirit pact powers
Total cost now is 330 BP

Let’s add skills: 60BP
Assensing 3 (12 BP), Astral Combat 3 (12 BP), Dodge 2 (8 BP), Perception 2 (8 BP), Spellcasting 4 (16 BP), Unarmed Combat 1 (4 BP)
Total cost now is 390BP

Spells: Increase reflexes (3BP), Heal (3BP), mana ball (3BP)
Total cost is now 399 BP

Resources: 1BP nick knacks and stuff.

Powers: 4 points; Realistic form (.5), Concealment (2), Guard (.5), animal control (1)

Qualities: Erased (slow) [-5BP], Trust fund (high lifestyle +1,000$ a month) [-20]
Negative: Sinner (pueblo) [+5BP], Prejudiced (Magicians who mistreat spirits: radical) [+20BP],

This creates a 400BP free spirit, which would be fun to role play, and though they start out week, with initiation they seem to not have a Maximum Attribute rating, so really the sky (Karma amount) is the limit for these PC’s.
kzt
So how do you gain karma as a free spirit? IIRC, you only gain it via pacts or the absurd "link your lifeforce to random strangers" pact.
sabs
I would assume that a PC Free Spirit would earn karma like all other pc?
kzt
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 24 2010, 02:52 PM) *
I would assume that a PC Free Spirit would earn karma like all other pc?

That would make sense, but I'm fairly sure they explicitly say otherwise in the section. I have no idea why. But I don't have the book here to check.
sabs
Karma gain is NOT mentioned at all in the Free Spirit PC section.
pbangarth
Free Spirits, both NPC and PC, gain karma thorugh Spirit Pacts. All of the Spirit Pacts in Street Magic are available to a PC, through spending Power points, as well as the Friendship Pact in the sidebar, page 93, Runner's Companion. This last enables the PC Free Spirit to garner karma as do other PCs.
sabs
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 24 2010, 10:18 PM) *
Free Spirits, both NPC and PC, gain karma thorugh Spirit Pacts. All of the Spirit Pacts in Street Magic are available to a PC, through spending Power points, as well as the Friendship Pact in the sidebar, page 93, Runner's Companion. This last enables the PC Free Spirit to garner karma as do other PCs.

That's not what the Friendship Pact says at all?
I read it, and I'm just not seeing that.
naga-nuyen
Friendship Pact
A Friendship Pact is an agreement in which the spirit trades its protection and assistance in exchange for a closer connection to the physical and astral planes. It allows a spirit to create a magical bond with a group of sentient people native to the physical plane. The spirit must find a number of people for the pact equal to its Force. Should the spirit’s Force ever increase, it must find another friend to add to the pact within a day of the increase.

This bond more strongly connects the spirit to the physical world. The spirit gains the ability to acquire its own Karma as a metahuman does. The spirit also gains the ability to communicate with its bonded friends mentally in images and thoughts up to the spirit’s Force x 10 meters. This communication is only between the spirit and one or more bonded friends, and not between the friends in question. The bond also strengthens the spirit’s ties to the Earth. it loses the 28-day limitation on returning from its home metaplane and may return as soon as it is fully healed.

This pact does exact a toll on the spirit. Every time a pact member dies, the spirit’s Force rating is reduced by one. Its natural maximum attributes are also reduced, which may cause the reduction of one or more attribute ratings; if a spirit’s Edge is reduced, it also loses at least one Power Point worth of critter powers. If all of the spirit’s pact friends die, its Force is reduced to zero and the spirit dissipates into the astral. To help delay this fate, a spirit may burn one of its own Edge to save a pact friend from death (p. 68, SR4). A free spirit may start the game with a Friendship Pact in place with any other eligible and willing player characters. The people participating in a Friendship Pact with the spirit do not need the Spirit Pact quality.

Copyright© 2008 WizKids Inc. All Rights Reserved. Shadowrun, Runner’s Companion, Matrix, and WK Games are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of WizKids, Inc. in the United States and/ or other countries. No part of this work may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, without the prior permission in writing of the Copyright Owner, nor be otherwise circulated in any form other than that in which it is published. Catalyst Game Labs and the Catalyst Game Labs logo are trademarks of InMediaRes Productions, LLC. Printed in Canada.
Page. 93 RC
pbangarth
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 24 2010, 05:23 PM) *
That's not what the Friendship Pact says at all?
I read it, and I'm just not seeing that.
As naga-nuyen quotes, see second sentence, paragraph 2.
pbangarth
@naga-nuyen: Your sample PC is interesting. I'm toying with the numbers, and frankly I'm thinking maybe not putting much at all into Active Skills at the start, but more into the Powers. But there is one chargen problem still bothering me.

I still don't see where we are told that a Free Spirit PC is not subject to the 25 BP cost for the 'hard max' improvement to an Attribute. Could someone help me out here, please. Is it just in that example that a couple of writers said was OK?

EDIT: As I read the instructions, you follow chargen as per the book except where told to do otherwise.
naga-nuyen
Hello pbangarth: I will make this reply quick, ending the evening with my little boy and wife. But will post a little more detail latter tonight.
I would say that you would run the free spirit as you would a normal PC, hard Max at creation would be force 6 which would cost 55BP for the full 6. Then the rest of your stats would be maxed at 5 across the board just for Chargen. As i see it the Free spirit has no racial Max....which means as long as you play and a gain karma you can increase your force through Initiation, then have the option of increasing your other stats as you see fit.

Last note: I put the example together really quickly this morning, i will sit down and do a full build for a PV version tonight as well and post it. Good day chummers.
pbangarth
QUOTE (naga-nuyen @ Sep 24 2010, 08:45 PM) *
Hello pbangarth: I will make this reply quick, ending the evening with my little boy and wife. But will post a little more detail latter tonight.
I would say that you would run the free spirit as you would a normal PC, hard Max at creation would be force 6 which would cost 55BP for the full 6. Then the rest of your stats would be maxed at 5 across the board just for Chargen. As i see it the Free spirit has no racial Max....which means as long as you play and a gain karma you can increase your force through Initiation, then have the option of increasing your other stats as you see fit.
Yup, I see all that. But in your example, you raised Force to 4 from 2, and then raise Drain stats and Edge to 4, paying 20 BP for each to go from 2 to 4. But with Force at 4, the maximum for all the other Attributes is 4, and so the cost to raise one from 2 to 4, according to the basic rules that I don't see modified anywhere for a PC Free Spirit, would be 10 + 25 = 35 BP, not 20 BP. That's the part that bugs me.

Have fun with family, buddy. My wife is 3000 km away. My one stepdaughter is 500 km further that direction. My daughter is 5500 km the other direction. My two other stepchildren are only 100 km away, when they're not off... somewhere. So get it when you can.
naga-nuyen
Force is the determining attribute for the free spirit, everything adjusts of it, but if you count each point of force as the PC generation maximum then you would have to spend 25 point to raise force 2-3, then 3-4.....and so on. This attribute is hard set at 6 maximum in the RC page 92, to avoid crippling the spirit to appoint that prevents playability we will call that its racial maximum, So that would cost 25BP to raise to its max, then we have edge which would cost 65 to raise to max 6, then one attribute that could be raised to 6 for 25BP. Every other attribute highest rank would be 5. That is if you had enough points to create a free spirit to this level smile.gif

Wow, it has been a few years sense i have seen separation of family of that scale. I spent some time down range while in the service, but that was before i was married and had a child. My Wife’s family is a fair grip away being in Australia, but it makes for visiting fun times indeed smile.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (naga-nuyen @ Sep 24 2010, 09:48 PM) *
Force is the determining attribute for the free spirit, everything adjusts of it, but if you count each point of force as the PC generation maximum then you would have to spend 25 point to raise force 2-3, then 3-4.....and so on.
Not if you raise Force to where you want it first, in this case to 4. Then raising another Attribute, like Edge, to 3 would cost only 10 BP, not 25 BP. Your example in this post would happen only if the Force were raised by one, and then other Attributes raised, and then Force raised by one again. This might happen if Force dragged all the Attributes up with it, but your PC example above doesn't do that.

I'm not trying to be obstreperous, but the original example presented with the implied verification from the authors is the only thing we have that shows a break from the 'hard max' cost. I don't get it.

Wow, it has been a few years sense i have seen separation of family of that scale. I spent some time down range while in the service, but that was before i was married and had a child. My Wife’s family is a fair grip away being in Australia, but it makes for visiting fun times indeed smile.gif
Well, my youngest is 26, so if you haven't experienced it yet, you may.
pbangarth
Hey, cool. In Karmagen, a 750 karma PC Free Spirit could spend 875 of its 750 karma on Attributes. (half the starting total plus twice the racial BP cost, in karma points)
kzt
Do you sometimes get the feeling that this wasn't extensively playtested? wink.gif
Neraph
Frequently.

And with more than just Free Spirit PC's too.
Irion
Not if you raise Force to where you want it first, in this case to 4. Then raising another Attribute, like Edge, to 3 would cost only 10 BP, not 25 BP. Your example in this post would happen only if the Force were raised by one, and then other Attributes raised, and then Force raised by one again. This might happen if Force dragged all the Attributes up with it, but your PC example above doesn't do that.

I would dare to say, that a spirit already payed for getting the maximum, because they actually started with it.
(This is for example a point of the rules which is not clear)

So a spirit with Drain Attribut 6, Force 6, Willpower 6 and Edge 6 would pay.

40+40+25(what I said is not true for Force)+40+40= 175.
A normal character would pay 25*3= 75 more BP.

Puplic announcement:
If you want to complain about free spirit rules:
They are about 70 BP too expensive and some powers (I am locking at you too spirit pacts) are just abusiv.

If you want to complain about things being imbalanced, talk about the magic quailities.
Full magician should be around 50 points, mystic adept around 35 and adept 10, and they would still be cheap. (Well, then they should not count towards the limit of positiv qualities. As a matter of fact I do not see, why there is a limit at all. Especially if your are able to partiallybybass it with surge.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 25 2010, 03:28 AM) *
I would dare to say, that a spirit already payed for getting the maximum, because they actually started with it.
Hey! This sort of makes sense.
As a matter of fact I do not see, why there is a limit at all. Especially if your are able to partiallybybass it with surge.
I would see this point more if there were a requirement for positive and negative Qualities taken by the PC to be balanced. If not, then with no limit you could get some wonky PCs who have a couple of hundred extra BP from negative Qualities. Yes, I know the GM could have playtime with such a PC, but the possibility would still exist.
Irion
Well, there is no reason not to limit the points gained by negativ qualities.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Irion @ Sep 25 2010, 02:28 AM) *
Puplic announcement:
If you want to complain about free spirit rules:
They are about 70 BP too expensive and some powers (I am locking at you too spirit pacts) are just abusiv.

You forgot that if your PCs get a positive quality, you're supposed to charge them karma for it. So if the PC free spirit has a high edge, it could cost them 60+ karma to gain the spirit pacts that the PC Free Spirit offers.

So here's the thing, the only thing that changes as a result of the PC free spirit being in the group, its the availability of free spirit powers, not the cost to the other PCs.
Aaron
Hello, folks. Sorry I'm late.

I said what, now?

Sephiroth
QUOTE (Aaron @ Sep 29 2010, 03:09 AM) *
Hello, folks. Sorry I'm late.

I said what, now?

A bunch of things, apparently. You are quoted several times on page 5, and we're all terribly divided in our interpretation of what you meant when you wrote the attribute minimums/maximums stuff for FSPC's.
Aaron
QUOTE (naga-nuyen @ Sep 24 2010, 12:40 AM) *
Looking over one post this is a final build that Aaron said was done "right"

When you say "Aaron said," do you mean I actually said it, or that you read stuff I posted and assumed I'd approve?

As for what I meant when I wrote stuff, what I meant does not actually matter. I write on a "work for hire" basis. The work I do is basically the same as a ghost writer: Catalyst gets the copyright and is considered the author in a very legal sense. If my work wins an award, I don't get the statuette for my mantle. Additionally, almost all of my work is edited, reworked, or added to once I send it in, based on what the developer wants to change (for example, when I put my marriage proposal into Runner's Companion, I put it in three different places to make it more likely to survive the editing process).

That said, I am honored with inside access to some of the developers' thought processes, so maybe I can help clarify things if Synner isn't around and it doesn't lean too heavily on my NDA. =i)
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Aaron @ Sep 29 2010, 10:48 AM) *
That said, I am honored with inside access to some of the developers' thought processes, so maybe I can help clarify things if Synner isn't around and it doesn't lean too heavily on my NDA. =i)

If you are indeed able to clarify a few things in this case, that would be most excellent. The below post aptly sums up what is in greatest need of clarification, and what has got us all so divided in our interpretation thereof:

QUOTE (Laodicea @ Sep 16 2010, 03:06 PM) *
This is a hotly debated topic because the section on PC free spirit characters in runners companion and the section on free spirits in Street Magic are not the most clearly written thing ever.

There's basically 2 schools of thought.

1. The free spirit PC has physical and mental stats equal to its Force, which starts at 2(which you do not pay for), and can be raised up to 6 at character creation, and further by initiation and raising of the Force stat in-game. Raising your Force stat raises all your other mental and physical stats at the same time. You need not raise each one individually.

This method results in a drastically overpowered character in all cases.

2. The free spirit PC has physical and mental stats which start at 2, you do not pay for these 2 points. The Force stat is the natural maximum for physical and mental stats, so to raise any stat, you must first raise force. You then pay for each stat separately to raise it, up to the natural maximum of Force.
This is the method supported by the community DK SR4 chargen excel spreadsheet.

This method results in an underpowered character in almost all cases. The character can still be good if it abuses the hell out of some of the spirit powers such as fear, engulf, and movement.

In either case, free spirit characters fundamentally change the game. Especially materialization free spirits, who can easily teleport themselves wherever and materialize wherever.

Emphases mine.
Neraph
QUOTE (Aaron @ Sep 29 2010, 04:48 AM) *
(for example, when I put my marriage proposal into Runner's Companion, I put it in three different places to make it more likely to survive the editing process).

I know this is off topic, but:
1) Did it work?
2) If you told her another way, did she say "Yes?"
Aaron
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Sep 29 2010, 08:40 AM) *
If you are indeed able to clarify a few things in this case, that would be most excellent. The below post aptly sums up what is in greatest need of clarification, and what has got us all so divided in our interpretation thereof:

I'm fairly certain that the correct interpretation of the rules for free spirit PCs is the latter case. I came up with that mechanic because the alternative was the NPC method, where every stat goes up with Force, but I didn't like that method for two reasons. First, it made for a very limited variation in characters: you couldn't, for example, have a very strong, very dumb spirit, and every spirit that was highly charismatic would also be highly quick and extremely clever. I figured that the rules for NPC spirits were kinda like the rules for other NPCs: not every Lone Star cop has Logic 3, for example, and not every great dragon has Reaction 11. The second reason was simply because if we used the NPC rules where everything goes up with Force, each rating point would cost 100 BP or (new rating x 50) Karma; yes, I know that Street Magic says it only costs new rating x 10 Karma, but a) that's for NPCs, and b) that was written when attributes were cheaper anyway.

To those who believe this to create underpowered characters, I can only offer two ideas. First, you could try quoting previous comments about my opinion that it should have been 85 and begging your GM to give you the extra BP. Second, you could try being creative and maximizing your fairly unique advantages.

I suppose you could also try complaining about it on Dumpshock, but that hasn't seemed to work yet. =i)
Aaron
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 29 2010, 08:45 AM) *
I know this is off topic, but:
1) Did it work?
2) If you told her another way, did she say "Yes?"

http://aaron-pike.livejournal.com/70679.html

=i)
naga-nuyen
First thanks Aaron for clearing up my mistakes, it is awesome to see some support for something that has so many different views.

I do wish to say sorry for my assumption, as I am wrong i hold myself accountable.

I spent some time just trying to find developers input on this issue, then I thought i could post it to help out.

I feel comfortable with the free spirit creation process, but if it is in error then I would adjust accordingly.

As i have little experience playing the game as yet, I will hold of playing one till I get back into the swing of things. But after some time, I could find myself creating and playing a free spirit for a long time....they are just that cool of a concept.

Have a good day runners!
Aaron
QUOTE (naga-nuyen @ Sep 29 2010, 05:26 PM) *
First thanks Aaron for clearing up my mistakes, it is awesome to see some support for something that has so many different views.

I do wish to say sorry for my assumption, as I am wrong i hold myself accountable.

No worries! I have no problem with someone saying "Aaron said this, and I feel that I've gone along with that." Although, keep in mind that a) not everyone agrees with me, b) I've been known to make mistakes from time to time, c) I don't have any authority over the rules whatsoever. =i)
naga-nuyen
You have been cool, I come down hard on myself lol. By the way Ping time is an awesome little run thank you!
pbangarth
I posted a Free Spirit PC I think is playable in THIS thread, rather than clutter the discussion here.
Neurosis
QUOTE (Aaron @ Sep 29 2010, 05:59 PM) *
I'm fairly certain that the correct interpretation of the rules for free spirit PCs is the latter case. I came up with that mechanic because the alternative was the NPC method, where every stat goes up with Force, but I didn't like that method for two reasons. First, it made for a very limited variation in characters: you couldn't, for example, have a very strong, very dumb spirit, and every spirit that was highly charismatic would also be highly quick and extremely clever. I figured that the rules for NPC spirits were kinda like the rules for other NPCs: not every Lone Star cop has Logic 3, for example, and not every great dragon has Reaction 11. The second reason was simply because if we used the NPC rules where everything goes up with Force, each rating point would cost 100 BP or (new rating x 50) Karma; yes, I know that Street Magic says it only costs new rating x 10 Karma, but a) that's for NPCs, and b) that was written when attributes were cheaper anyway.

To those who believe this to create underpowered characters, I can only offer two ideas. First, you could try quoting previous comments about my opinion that it should have been 85 and begging your GM to give you the extra BP. Second, you could try being creative and maximizing your fairly unique advantages.

I suppose you could also try complaining about it on Dumpshock, but that hasn't seemed to work yet. =i)

So, wait....the 'Increase Attributes Individually' interpretation is balanced for the Free Spirit race costing 85 BP?

Does that mean that the 'Increase All Attributes With Force' option is balanced for the Free Spirit race as costing 250 BP?
darthmord
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 29 2010, 11:46 PM) *
So, wait....the 'Increase Attributes Individually' interpretation is balanced for the Free Spirit race costing 85 BP?

Does that mean that the 'Increase All Attributes With Force' option is balanced for the Free Spirit race as costing 250 BP?

More likely whoever did the editing felt that 85 BP = Free Spirit was too generous and changed it to 250 BP = Free Spirit instead.
Badmoodguy88
The only answer to this that makes any sense is to play test it.
Whatever works.
kzt
Is play testing any SR rules allowed? wink.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 29 2010, 10:46 PM) *

That sounds good to me. I am more in favor of Option #2, but that's mainly because it follows the rules of all the spirits in the game much more closely.

But here's a problem with Option #1: the Force determines your Maximums, so you can only have 1 stat at 4 on a F4 spirit - the rest have to be 3s. You have to softcap all your stats. That may not be an issue for some people at their tables, but I find it to be problematic.

Also, I may be confusing #1 and #2. I think you guys can figure out what I mean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012