Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free Spirit PC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Machiavelli
Can somebody please tell me exactly how the creation of a free spirit PC works? Search-Fu failed miserably but i know that this topic had been discussed more than once. A link-reference would be enough for me. I just need to know what starting attributes a free spirit has. I know that he starts with all mental attributes at 2 (like his beginning force) but do i really have to pay for the first point in all physical attributes? How high is edge at the beginning? If i raise the force e.g. to 4, does it increase the mentals as well?
Laodicea
This is a hotly debated topic because the section on PC free spirit characters in runners companion and the section on free spirits in Street Magic are not the most clearly written thing ever.

There's basically 2 schools of thought.

1. The free spirit PC has physical and mental stats equal to its Force, which starts at 2(which you do not pay for), and can be raised up to 6 at character creation, and further by initiation and raising of the Force stat in-game. Raising your Force stat raises all your other mental and physical stats at the same time. You need not raise each one individually.

This method results in a drastically overpowered character in all cases.

2. The free spirit PC has physical and mental stats which start at 2, you do not pay for these 2 points. The Force stat is the natural maximum for physical and mental stats, so to raise any stat, you must first raise force. You then pay for each stat separately to raise it, up to the natural maximum of Force.
This is the method supported by the community DK SR4 chargen excel spreadsheet.

This method results in an underpowered character in almost all cases. The character can still be good if it abuses the hell out of some of the spirit powers such as fear, engulf, and movement.

In either case, free spirit characters fundamentally change the game. Especially materialization free spirits, who can easily teleport themselves wherever and materialize wherever.
Neraph
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Sep 16 2010, 09:06 AM) *
This method results in a drastically overpowered character in all cases.

I would care to debate that. All other characters have dramatically more flexibility than a Free Spirit has. You're basically buying half a mage with teleport.

Also, not running it this way puts Free Spirits directly in conflict of every other spirit listed in the entire game, where all their attributes are based off of their Force.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 16 2010, 11:59 AM) *
I would care to debate that. All other characters have dramatically more flexibility than a Free Spirit has. You're basically buying half a mage with teleport.

Also, not running it this way puts Free Spirits directly in conflict of every other spirit listed in the entire game, where all their attributes are based off of their Force.

I think the first line of her post specifically addressed the fact there there is contention between the 2 views.
Starmage21
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Sep 16 2010, 11:14 AM) *
I think the first line of her post specifically addressed the fact there there is contention between the 2 views.

No. He said "in all cases". Theres no contention there. Just an authoritative opinion thats flat out wrong. Even with the "more powerful" option, 1/2 a mage with Teleport is effectively correct.
Neraph
The first replier correctly stated the two different points of view, and correctly stated that they are debated. I specifically disagree with the opinion listed after the first option.
sabs
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Sep 16 2010, 05:27 PM) *
No. He said "in all cases". Theres no contention there. Just an authoritative opinion thats flat out wrong. Even with the "more powerful" option, 1/2 a mage with Teleport is effectively correct.

Half a Mage with Teleport with better stats than anyone else.
Straight 6's is pretty sweet, especially when all it cost you was 55bp
Laodicea
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 16 2010, 09:59 AM) *

You're leaving a lot out of this, calling them half a mage with teleport.

If you use method 1. for chargen, they're a mage with all attributes = 6. 12 hardened armor. They cannot conjure or bond foci, but they get spirit powers, which more than makes up for that. Spirit powers. I know for a fact that you've looked at those spirit powers and thought of ways they can be abused. It's huge. Those spirit powers are game changers.

They have 2 things they can do once in game with karma and money. Karma: initiate and raise Force, which by this rational raises all other stats at the same time. Money: purchase quickened spells. This character will be reluctant to force its way through any manabarriers anyway, so go nuts on the quickened spells.
Neraph
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 16 2010, 10:38 AM) *
Half a Mage with Teleport with better stats than anyone else.
Straight 6's is pretty sweet, especially when all it cost you was 55bp

No, it cost you 305 BP. And that'll leave you with nearly nothing for skills.

QUOTE (Laodicea Posted Today, 10:38 AM )
Money: purchase quickened spells.

Where did you ever get that idea?
Laodicea
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 16 2010, 10:42 AM) *

They dont need any skills. Spellcasting: 5 Assensing: 5 That's it. You could go all exotic and try to make them good at melee or elemental attack. But why? Just toss stunbolts/balls everywhere.
sabs
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 16 2010, 05:42 PM) *

it leaves you 95 for skills.. which isn't much I admit. But it's certainly enough to get a narrow grouping of skills.
Now you also want a high Edge.. so that might be an issue.

Still how many skills do you really need.
Perception
Dodge
Sorcery group
Unarmed Combat
Influence group

buy them cheap, raise them with karma later.

Neraph
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Sep 16 2010, 11:47 AM) *
They dont need any skills. Spellcasting: 5 Assensing: 5 That's it. You could go all exotic and try to make them good at melee or elemental attack. But why? Just toss stunbolts/balls everywhere.

Right. For pure munchkins/powergamers/whatever-you-call-thems, that's all you "need." For the rest of us who like to play characters, trying to juggle 10 attributes plus skills and gear with 150 BP is nigh-impossible to have anything remotely resembling something that isn't anemic and asthmatic.

Also, it's still easy to disrupt a F6 spirit. SnS rounds work, and even if your game doesn't use those (which really adds a lot more problems by removing them than simply leaving them in the game), there are easy ways to disrupt spirits. Remember, as a spirit, you're much more vulnerable to other spellcasters, especially the ones that have Mana Static.

If you use Option #2 from above, your piddly spirit wouldn't be able to pull his own weight against a F4 spirit unless you get really, really specialized. Even if you are specialized, a F6 could cream you.
Neraph
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 16 2010, 11:52 AM) *
it leaves you 95 for skills.. which isn't much I admit. But it's certainly enough to get a narrow grouping of skills.
Now you also want a high Edge.. so that might be an issue.

Still how many skills do you really need.
Perception
Dodge
Sorcery group
Unarmed Combat
Influence group

buy them cheap, raise them with karma later.

At R1 for all of those, that's 32 BP. And with your stat of 2, that means you're useless. And you're putting even more strain on your Karma for later.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 16 2010, 05:58 PM) *
At R1 for all of those, that's 32 BP. And with your stat of 2, that means you're useless. And you're putting even more strain on your Karma for later.

I thought he had 6's across the board. Unless I misread something.
Laodicea
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 16 2010, 10:57 AM) *
Right. For pure munchkins/powergamers/whatever-you-call-thems, that's all you "need." For the rest of us who like to play characters, trying to juggle 10 attributes plus skills and gear with 150 BP is nigh-impossible to have anything remotely resembling something that isn't anemic and asthmatic.

Also, it's still easy to disrupt a F6 spirit. SnS rounds work, and even if your game doesn't use those (which really adds a lot more problems by removing them than simply leaving them in the game), there are easy ways to disrupt spirits. Remember, as a spirit, you're much more vulnerable to other spellcasters, especially the ones that have Mana Static.

If you use Option #2 from above, your piddly spirit wouldn't be able to pull his own weight against a F4 spirit unless you get really, really specialized. Even if you are specialized, a F6 could cream you.

absolutely true. As I said, option 1 gives you a vastly overpowered character that will overshadow almost the entire rest of the team. Option 2 gives you a horribly under powered piece of crap that a person will only want to play if they're really interested in the RP aspects of it.
Neraph
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 16 2010, 11:59 AM) *
I thought he had 6's across the board. Unless I misread something.

Oh, you're talking about #1 option. I assumed the build there was operating under the #2 option.

#1 definately makes it better, but all your checks would be at 7 dicepool, which is nothing compared to another 'runner or even most of your opposition. PR 3 opponents have a dicepool of about 8 for most actions. When all your friends are pulling 20+ dice for their chosen actions, your 7 DP is cute, if not outright annoying. Most teams would cut you out as a liability.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 16 2010, 06:05 PM) *
Oh, you're talking about #1 option. I assumed the build there was operating under the #2 option.

#1 definately makes it better, but all your checks would be at 7 dicepool, which is nothing compared to another 'runner or even most of your opposition. PR 3 opponents have a dicepool of about 8 for most actions. When all your friends are pulling 20+ dice for their chosen actions, your 7 DP is cute, if not outright annoying. Most teams would cut you out as a liability.

Ah, I see where you're at now.

And I don't have any runners pulling 20+ dice for their actions - usually only around a dozen. nyahnyah.gif
sabs
Okay so my skills suck.
I have 6 across the board, and I have a 4 edge.

Now i take the following Spirit Powers:
Animal Control 1
Concealment 2
Guard .5
Psychokinesis .5

If you can squeeze another point of edge:
Divining OR confusion are both awesome powers.

Now I have a free spirit with 6's in his stats, who can:
Make the entire party concealed imposing -Magic rating (ie 6) on all perception tests to notice them.
Can have guard on the entire group making them immune to accidents
Can control animals to do simple things (like have a rat sneak into a facility and take a set of keys out, etc.
Can move objects like the Fingers spell.

Heaven forbid he's from a possession tradition, and he possesses something dangerous physically.
Oh he's also got ITNW at 6, so he's got 12 points of armor.

Not exactly worthless
pbangarth
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 16 2010, 01:01 PM) *
Okay so my skills suck.
I have 6 across the board, and I have a 4 edge.
Why Edge at only 4? This Attribute too is governed by Force, and raises as Force raises.
sabs
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 16 2010, 07:05 PM) *
Why Edge at only 4? This Attribute too is governed by Force, and raises as Force raises.

I wasn't sure if it was, or being a special attribute you had to buy it seperately smile.gif
That's even more eeevil. I have 2 more points.
Movement then? Or just take both Divining and Confusion.
OR Binding Binding is cute.

How good is possession? Can I go into a facility, possess a security guard, and then lets my fellow shadowrunners into the facility?
Laodicea
Things get a little wonky with some of the powers, like movement, with free spirit PCs.

The Movement power description states that they can only use it within their personal domain. Which makes the Personal Domain power a pre-requisite, which is pretty worthless for a shadowrunner. How would a GM even rule on a spirits Personal Domain? Just let the spirit character pick a huge area of downtown seattle or denver? Surely that cant be declared a Personal Domain. Somewhere out in the middle of the woods? That's useless.

For the free spirit character in my game i ruled that their Movement power could be used on people that it has an intimate magical connection with, aka, a spirit friend pact. All the members of the shadowrun team decided to take the pact. So all of them can have Movement used on them at will. It also provides a nice mindlink to the spirit from all the other player characters.

Laodicea
small potential derailment or hijacking of thread. Perhaps it warrants its own thread but I feel that one new thread per day is my limit and anything more is hubris.

For a materialization spirit being shot at, using a full defense action, couldn't he just de-materialize to avoid the bullets all together? Of course if he wants to re-materialize he'll have to spend yet another IP to do it. So he's spent 2 IPs to avoid the bullets entirely, and to re-assert himself on the material plane. Any thoughts?
sabs
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Sep 16 2010, 08:27 PM) *
small potential derailment or hijacking of thread. Perhaps it warrants its own thread but I feel that one new thread per day is my limit and anything more is hubris.

For a materialization spirit being shot at, using a full defense action, couldn't he just de-materialize to avoid the bullets all together? Of course if he wants to re-materialize he'll have to spend yet another IP to do it. So he's spent 2 IPs to avoid the bullets entirely, and to re-assert himself on the material plane. Any thoughts?

I think that would be quite acceptable.
Btw, how many IP's does a Free Spirit have? (without quickened increased reflexes)
Laodicea
2 on the physical. 3 on the astral.

This situation makes that whole thing pretty fuzzy, since they're spending time in both planes.
sabs
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Sep 16 2010, 08:32 PM) *
2 on the physical. 3 on the astral.

This situation makes that whole thing pretty fuzzy, since they're spending time in both planes.

Well Materialize is a physical power, so it should take a physical IP wink.gif
Megu
So... how would you guys fix this if you were going to houserule it into being workable? Has anyone got a good setup?

I'm just asking because I'm considering writing up a free spirit character; basically, a sword-wielding onryo. Picture Sadako mowing down corpsec in downtown Seattle Kill Bill style. I don't want to be all OP and shit, but I think there's gotta be something I could use to present to my GM as a free spirit character gen system that is functional without being broken.
sabs
QUOTE (Megu @ Sep 16 2010, 09:39 PM) *
So... how would you guys fix this if you were going to houserule it into being workable? Has anyone got a good setup?

I'm just asking because I'm considering writing up a free spirit character; basically, a sword-wielding onryo. Picture Sadako mowing down corpsec in downtown Seattle Kill Bill style. I don't want to be all OP and shit, but I think there's gotta be something I could use to present to my GM as a free spirit character gen system that is functional without being broken.

That's not exactly the kind of thing Free Spirits excel at.

Try something like:
BP cost of being a free spirit: 100
All stats start at 2, force starts at 2.
Raise Magic to Raise force. Raising force raises Max Stat.
Buy stats as normal.

I think paying 100 less BP for free spirit will balance out, especially since you have to pay for edge to get spirit powers.
Laodicea
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 16 2010, 03:42 PM) *

Try something like:
Buy stats as normal.

I think paying 100 less BP for free spirit will balance out, especially since you have to pay for edge to get spirit powers.

Right. It's rough to make one that can play that way if you use the #2 mechanics. If you use the #1 mechanics you can do it, but there's literally no reason to since they will still excel at casting spells more than they will at wielding a Natural Weapon sword.

I've often desired a character like this. An extra-planar badass that is not a spellslinger. Unfortunately its just not to be found in this system as a player character.

A GM Fiat can solve all of that by creating another kind of free spirit character, as suggested above. I think it's a good idea, myself.
pbangarth
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 16 2010, 03:42 PM) *

Try something like:
Buy stats as normal.

Is this part of your house rule? I read RC as saying Edge and all other stats rise with Force.
sabs
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 16 2010, 09:55 PM) *
Is this part of your house rule? I read RC as saying Edge and all other stats rise with Force.

Yes. Basically the house rule is:
Force starts at 2
All Attributes start at 2.
Raising force raises Magic attribute and Max Attribute, but not current.

So for a 100BP your free spirit would have these stats:

str 2/2
Bod 2/2
Ag 2/2
Rea 2/2
Cha 2/2
Log 2/2
Int 2/2
Edge: 2/2
Magic: 2/2
Force: 2

Raising your force raises the Magic Attribute and the Max Attribute
SO lets say you raised your force to a 5. Without spending any more BP or Karma your stats would be:
str 2/5
Bod 2/5
Ag 2/5
Rea 2/5
Cha 2/5
Log 2/5
Int 2/5
Edge: 2/5
Magic: 5/5
Force: 5

This is totally house rule territory.
You're paying 1/2 the cost to be a Free Spirit. But you're having to pay to raise your stats.

You're paying 100 BP to get 120Bp worth of Stats, and the other awesomeness that is being a Free Spirit.
Compare that to a Troll that pays 40bp to get 80Bp worth of stats, reach, thermal eyesite, and dermal plating
It's probably fair.
Laodicea
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 16 2010, 03:55 PM) *

That's one of the interpretations that i put as option 1 on the second post in this thread. I think it's wrong. But I'm not arguing that its a silly or invalid interpretation. it's just not the one I would make.
Megu
Alright, that does look workable. Thanks man. If and when I get this written up I'll post it so you can see how well it turned out.
pbangarth
It just struck me that a Free Spirit PC cannot be an adept or mystic adept, along with not being able to be a technomancer. Too bad. That would have gone a long way towards allowing the non-spellcaster type of spirit to be viable in the RAW build.
sabs
QUOTE (Megu @ Sep 16 2010, 09:19 PM) *
Alright, that does look workable. Thanks man. If and when I get this written up I'll post it so you can see how well it turned out.

Your welcome.

I'd love to see the character you build.. if you do build it.
I'm interested to see how balanced it would be.
Badmoodguy88
Spirits start with all attributes at 2 including edge. They start as Magicians. They raise each attribute separately. The one exception is force is their magic attribute and essence equals their force. This is my interpretation. I think it is RAW and RAI.

Step one: Read this.
Free Spirit Attributes
Free spirits have a Force special attribute that starts with a rating
of 2. This attribute determines a free spirit’s natural minimums
and maximums for all attributes. It also acts as the spirit’s Magic
attribute. Force increases can be purchased at character generation
for the same price as any attribute. The natural maximum for the
Force attribute is 6, although this can be later increased through
initiation. A free spirit’s Force rating is the natural maximum for
all Physical and Mental attributes, as well as its Edge attribute—
so the player must raise Force if he wishes to raise the remaining
attributes. In addition, free spirits have the same Physical, Mental,
and Edge attributes as metahuman characters, which all start at
2 (their starting Force) at the start of character generation. For
materialized spirits, the Physical attributes apply to its materialized
form. For spirits of possession traditions, the spirit’s Physical
attributes are added to the attributes of the vessel possessed by the
spirit. A spirit’s Initiative is its Intuition x 2 in astral space, and
its Reaction + Intuition when materialized or possessing a vessel;
it gets three Initiative Passes in astral space and two in physical
space each Combat Turn. A spirit’s Essence is equal to its Force. If
it ever loses Essence, it also loses Force, in the same manner that a
metahuman loses Magic with the loss of Essence, except that the
spirit’s Force maximum is unchanged.
All rules on in Shadowrun, Fourth Edition and Street Magic
regarding the abilities and limitations of Materializing and
Possession free spirits apply as normal.

Step two: Repeat step one.

If you do karma gen with the fixed rules then free spirits are balanced but not weak because karma gen favors lower stats like spirits have.
It costs 250 karma to me a spirit, all stats start at 2, magicians is still free as part of the 250 karma cost. Attributes cost next rating times 5 like the cost to improve attributes with karma in SR4.
pbangarth
Beats the hell out of me where I got the idea that raising Force automatically raises the other Attributes. I can't find anything that says that except a couple of posts in this thread.

If the text quoted by badmoodguy88 is all there is, then the Free Spirit PC looks pretty gimped to me. You have 150 BP left to do everything, and getting to "all 6s" as per above, you would need to spend 55 to raise Force to 6, and then another 55 for each Attribute, making 440 BP for the physical and mental Attributes and another 55 for Edge. A grand total of 550 BP on top of the original 250 BP. even raising everything to merely an average 3 costs 100 BP on top of the 250 BP start. leaving 50 BP for everything and anything else. The spirit powers don't make up for that.

Am I missing something?
Badmoodguy88
nope

But like I said they are much stronger under karma gen because raising all those 2's to 3's is very cheap.

I figure it is just an investment to get a PC that has some interesting possibilities later on.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Badmoodguy88 @ Sep 16 2010, 07:57 PM) *
nope

But like I said they are much stronger under karma gen because raising all those 2's to 3's is very cheap.

I figure it is just an investment to get a PC that has some interesting possibilities later on.
Yes, I do see the potential for growth into something really cool... but Holy Cow!
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 16 2010, 10:30 AM) *
Ah, I see where you're at now.

And I don't have any runners pulling 20+ dice for their actions - usually only around a dozen. nyahnyah.gif

Most sams I know are high teens to low twenties for their primary forms of attack. Lets say human, 5 agility, 5 skill, Specialization, some kind of muscle augmentation R2-3, reflex recorder, enhanced articulation, and a +2 from tac net or similar, and that's not really pushing it all that hard. I'm counting 19ish?
sabs
well and under Karma the race is 1/2 price.
250 karma =125 bp. If you were paying 500 karma for the race and you had 250 karma left over, you'd be feeling serioiusly gimped.
Mordinvan
Free spirits have a Force special attribute that starts with a rating
of 2. This attribute determines a free spirit’s natural minimums
and maximums for all attributes.

Its the part about force determining the minimum attributes which is causing the confusion. Because if your minimum AND maximum is equal to your force, then all of your stats are effectively equal to your force.
jakephillips
Don't forget the flying, invisible on the real world while in the astral plane craziness of that. Need to get to the top of a 70 story research facility the rest of your team has to fly in, sneak in, assend with climbing gear while leaving you to fly up there and materialize silently behind the upper guard and pitch him over the edge.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Megu @ Sep 16 2010, 02:39 PM) *

Use karmagen. Even a free spirit(250 karma) at Force 6(another 90) leaves you with 410 karma.

I am assuming the errata'd, Ancient History rules.
Neraph
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 16 2010, 05:49 PM) *
Beats the hell out of me where I got the idea that raising Force automatically raises the other Attributes. I can't find anything that says that except a couple of posts in this thread.

Am I missing something?

QUOTE (Free Spirit Attributes, page 92, Runner)
Free spirits have a Force special attribute that starts with a rating of 2. This attribute determines a free spirit's natural minimums and maximums for all attributes.

Emphasis mine. Nothing else refutes this. Either "minimums" from above is a typo, or option #1 from earlier is the logical conclusion.
Badmoodguy88
I think the "this determines attribute minimums and maximums" just explains why starting force and all attributes are at 2 instead of one. 2 is your minimum attribute, but if you got your force down to 1, through damage or essence drain, then all your other atributes would be 1 and 1 would be your minimum attribute.
A free spirit’s Force rating is the natural maximum for
attributes.In addition, free spirits have the same Physical, Mental,
2 (their starting Force) at the start of character generation.

My emphasis on start but it is I think the key word. You really need to read the whole paragraph on attributes all at once. It really should be two paragraphs; one for what the attributes are at the start of character generation and the other about how to raise stats in character generation and after. But size limits and such to fit it all in before the end of the chapter with out a little left over.

You could interpret the line "this determines attribute minimums and maximums" as meaning you need to pay to raise all your stats up to what your force is at the end of chargen but that is even more limiting than just buying stats individually.

You could interpret that stats all get raised for free when you raise your force but I think that is overpowered.

I think they gave you the option to play this metatype but did not want to make it the most powerful choice because then everyone would play this metatype and it would be a very different game.
Starmage21
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 16 2010, 06:49 PM) *

If the text quoted by badmoodguy88 is all there is, then the Free Spirit PC looks pretty gimped to me. You have 150 BP left to do everything, and getting to "all 6s" as per above, you would need to spend 55 to raise Force to 6, and then another 55 for each Attribute, making 440 BP for the physical and mental Attributes and another 55 for Edge. A grand total of 550 BP on top of the original 250 BP. even raising everything to merely an average 3 costs 100 BP on top of the 250 BP start. leaving 50 BP for everything and anything else. The spirit powers don't make up for that.

Am I missing something?

At first glance, this seems like an absolutely awesome deal. People on these boards keep forgetting that the 1/2 a mage you DONT get as a free spirit PC is the conjuring part. The part that lets you conjure spirits with attributes and skills generally equal to force, and you can have multiple spirits who have those stats.

Neraph
QUOTE (Badmoodguy88 @ Sep 17 2010, 06:02 AM) *
I think the "this determines attribute minimums and maximums" just explains why starting force and all attributes are at 2 instead of one. 2 is your minimum attribute, but if you got your force down to 1, through damage or essence drain, then all your other atributes would be 1 and 1 would be your minimum attribute.

My emphasis on start but it is I think the key word. You really need to read the whole paragraph on attributes all at once. It really should be two paragraphs; one for what the attributes are at the start of character generation and the other about how to raise stats in character generation and after. But size limits and such to fit it all in before the end of the chapter with out a little left over.

You could interpret the line "this determines attribute minimums and maximums" as meaning you need to pay to raise all your stats up to what your force is at the end of chargen but that is even more limiting than just buying stats individually.

You could interpret that stats all get raised for free when you raise your force but I think that is overpowered.

I think they gave you the option to play this metatype but did not want to make it the most powerful choice because then everyone would play this metatype and it would be a very different game.

You post in here the same two different interpretations I posted in my first post on this thread.

Your first interpretation requires adding something to the plain text (adding "minimums and maximums, only starting at Force 2"). The second interpretation is what the text actually states. "This attribute determines a free spirit's natural minimums and maximums for all attributes."
Period. It does not say "for starting characters at Force 2 only" - it simply says their Force determines their minimums and maximums.

"In addition, free spirits have the same Physical, Mental, and Edge attributes as metahuman characters, which all start at 2 (their starting Force) at the start of character generation." This can simply mean that their attributes start at Force 2 when they start their character generation, implying that when they raise it (as they continue their character generation), their attributes raise with the other rule they have in place (you know, their Force determining minimums and maximums).

It is not contradictory, it is simply a convoluted way to try and explain how their attributes are equal to their Force, just like every other spirit's attributes are linked to their Force.
darthmord
Neraph,

You know, reading this conversation a few times has me wondering if the author for that section (I do not know who it was) was being purposefully wordy to meet their guidelines for their section in terms of word count.

There are a number of ways to re-word that section to be clear and concise. I just wish that someone would come up with clear rulings of how TPTB intend this section to be interpreted.
Neraph
I completely agree.

EDIT: Even if that means that my current interpretation (and I believe my interpretation to be the most correct and RAW [and I believe that Badmoodguy88 has the same belief on his interpretation]) turns out to be the incorrect one, I want some definitive proof over and above what we've presented here.

This section really does need errata. Reminds me of Manifesting from the core rulebook.
Irion
Well actually the rules are quite clear.
You start at two and may raise them up to force.
A free spirit’s Force rating is the natural maximum for
attributes.

Thats very easy to understand I guess.

This attribute determines a free spirit’s natural minimums
and maximums for all attributes.

Well, this wording is quite strange, but in the context it is easy to understand.
The starting force(minimum) is two, so the minimum for the attributes is two.
Which is repeated here:
In addition, free spirits have the same Physical, Mental,
2 (their starting Force) at the start of character generation.

So it is obvious.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012