Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirits and Dart Pistols
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Yerameyahu
I don't believe vacuum is an issue for spirits (as rarely as they might encounter it anyway). They're not pressurized, AFAIK, or made of water (even water spirits), and those are the two reasons that vacuum hurts living things, right? smile.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Bodak @ Mar 16 2011, 07:46 PM) *
Spirits are not living subjects at all.

Would spirits have "Immunity" to vacuum? That's not radioactive, a chemical, a drug or a toxin. It won't damage cars (though the air-pressure in pneumatic components might damage the cars) but it will have adverse effects on living beings such as (meta)humans and (para)critters (except moss piglets). But would it have any effect on Spirits (which are not alive)?

Yes, although this may vary by spirit type. The vacuum of space means no manasphere, which in turn means you're in a manawarp which decidedly hurts spirits. If you're talking a vacuum chamber on earth, you still have to contend with an air spirit's materialized form getting torn apart, which has got to hurt it somewhat. Just like plant spirits and defoliants, some things you do have to assume, with the law of Sympathy being what it is.
Bodak
I am referring explicitly to vacuum - nothing to do with space, different gravity, radiation, etc etc etc. Vacuum - that's all. Otherwise we'd be talking about drugs made of radioactive isotopes.

I don't know why an air (or fire) spirit materialising within a vacuum would be "torn apart". Do you have a page reference for that?
Yerameyahu
It makes even less sense than a plant spirit being hurt by herbicides (do they even exist in the game?). smile.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Bodak @ Mar 16 2011, 09:21 PM) *
I am referring explicitly to vacuum - nothing to do with space, different gravity, radiation, etc etc etc. Vacuum - that's all. Otherwise we'd be talking about drugs made of radioactive isotopes.

There are many drugs made out of radioactive isotopes.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 16 2011, 09:27 PM) *
It makes even less sense than a plant spirit being hurt by herbicides (do they even exist in the game?). smile.gif

If it can be made via the Chemistry skill, it potentially exists (and might, in some game).
Yerameyahu
So, no? smile.gif They certainly exist in the Sixth World, of course, but I just think it's interesting you keep mentioning something that's not even part of the game, when there's a whole list of actual things called Toxins.

I'd be possibly amenable to houseruling that Plant Spirits have the Weakness: Allergy (universal herbicides), in the same way Fire and Water spirits have opposite Allergies. Plant spirits don't have that in the rules, though. I think it's probably a mistake to say that plant spirits 'are plants' (in whichever respect), though.
Bodak
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 17 2011, 02:52 PM) *
There are many drugs made out of radioactive isotopes.
Of course - it would be nigh impossible to avoid. I don't see how this is relevant though. Did you find that page number for air (or any) spirits being "torn apart" by vacua?
Cain
First, show me where it says they're immune to pressure damage, such as a high-powered water cannon or a bullet.

I'd be possibly amenable to houseruling that Plant Spirits have the Weakness: Allergy (universal herbicides), in the same way Fire and Water spirits have opposite Allergies. Plant spirits don't have that in the rules, though. I think it's probably a mistake to say that plant spirits 'are plants' (in whichever respect), though.

Air spirits are air, right? Water spirits are water, and Fire spirits are fire. By that logic, plant spirits are plants, and insect spirits are insects. nyahnyah.gif
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 17 2011, 08:01 AM) *
Air spirits are air, right? Water spirits are water, and Fire spirits are fire. By that logic, plant spirits are plants, and insect spirits are insects. nyahnyah.gif

Well, no, actually none of those spirits are the same thing as their mundane counterpart. They just happen to have some of the same weaknesses.

If fire spirits were really like fire, then they wouldn't be vulnerable to fire damage, now would they?

---

Anyway, I think Yerameyahu stumbled onto the most powerful argument why spirits don't have Immunity: Toxins. Namely, that Immunity is really not immunity; it's just resistance, and you can only be Immune(Resistant) to something that can actually affect you.

Giving vehicles Immunity: Toxins would imply that if a toxin were potent enough, that it would affect vehicles.
Bodak
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 17 2011, 06:01 PM) *
Air spirits are air, right? Water spirits are water, and Fire spirits are fire. By that logic, plant spirits are plants, and insect spirits are insects. :P
No. By that logic, Spirits of Man are men. The burden of proof lies with the one making the outlandish claims.

As Seth already pointed out, materialisation Spirits are not made of elements, plants, beasts, men, storms, skies, salamanders, guardians, guidance, tasks, hearths, cities, etc etc etc. They all are "composed of some kind of common arcane material regardless of apparent structure".

It's fine if your house rules incorporate ideas from another game but that's not the way the SR rulebooks describe them.
Cain
QUOTE (Bodak @ Mar 17 2011, 03:44 AM) *
No. By that logic, Spirits of Man are men. The burden of proof lies with the one making the outlandish claims.

As Seth already pointed out, materialisation Spirits are not made of elements, plants, beasts, men, storms, skies, salamanders, guardians, guidance, tasks, hearths, cities, etc etc etc. They all are "composed of some kind of common arcane material regardless of apparent structure".

It's fine if your house rules incorporate ideas from another game but that's not the way the SR rulebooks describe them.

I actually have never played an enjoyable game of D&D 3.5, so that's just a strawman.

What is true is that the laws of Sympathy exist in Shadowrun magic. SO, rather it's air or an airlike substance, it's magical enough to share many of the same properties. So, you can put out a fire elemental with a fire extinguisher, despite the fact that most modern fire extinguishers aren't water or have rules in Shadowrun. Acid hurts spirits, even though they're made of an arcane material. Hell, bullets shouldn't affect a spirit, by that logic. If you go too far down the handwaving and chanting "Its' MAAAAGIC" path, you'll end up concluding that spirits cannot be hurt by mundane means at all, which is just insane.
Seth
I actually have never played an enjoyable game of D&D 3.5, so that's just a strawman.

That's just your GM. You can have an enjoyable game with any game system even Whitewolf or D&D4e (and that's scrapping the barrel). Personally I think 3.5 is nearly OK as far as game systems go, as long as you keep the levels quite low...3 to 8 is my favourite.
Method
This whole argument is silly. Does it say that fish or submarines are immune to water damage? Are blind characters immune to flash packs? Does is say that deaf characters are immune to sound-based attacks? Maybe CGL should start work on a book called "The SR compendium of things that don't hurt metahumans" and make sure that the appropriate Immunity to _______ is added for every entry.

The only reason I can think of to press this argument is because you've determined that toxins are the most effective means of dealing damage within the SR rule set and you want your character to carry one weapon that allows him to win SR. It's the same as peoples obsession with stick n shock. Yep, nothing says "hardened criminal in a dystopia future world" like running around with phasers set to stun all the time. Nevermind if it doesn't fit the setting, tone or flavor of the game. ohplease.gif
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 17 2011, 11:56 AM) *
What is true is that the laws of Sympathy exist in Shadowrun magic. SO, rather it's air or an airlike substance, it's magical enough to share many of the same properties.

No, not really:
On the Forms of Spirits
Spirits appear on initial inspection to incorporate a great
diversity of materials into their corporeal forms, from water to
bone, fire to plasteel. After decades of study, it appears that the
materialized forms of spirits are not actually composed of pre-
viously recognized substances. Indeed, the studies of Halthmer
et al. demonstrate basic property equivalencies in the constitu-
ent structures present in earth elementals and the spirit of Mt.
Rainier. The most commonly accepted interpretation of their
data is that spirits are largely composed of some kind of common
arcane material regardless of apparent structure
—a recombinant
protoplasm that replicates function, mass, texture and properties
near enough as to provide no physical difference.

> In English, that means that a spirit is just as dangerous if it
looks like a little girl with a lollipop as it is if it looks like a sword-
wielding oni. A spirit can cut you in half just as well with a card-
board tube as with a katana.
> Sticks

> Unless that happens to be a katana that the spirit, y’know,
picked up. Not all weapons wielded by spirits are part of the
spirit’s form.
> Haze

Substantial evidence exists that arcane properties and ar-
chetypical elemental oppositions also translate as properties
of corporeal materialized forms. Spirits associated with water,
such as water elementals, sylphs, and river spirits, exhibit hostile
reactions to fire, and spirits tied to fire react similarly to water.

Another intriguing aspect of a spirit’s corporeal form is
its senses. Despite having no nervous systems, spirits react
negatively to damage to their physical and astral forms—simi-
lar to how a physical creature displays pain. Spirits frequently
object to being sent into positions where disruption is likely,
and when directly questioned about the phenomenon, spir-
its have tended to describe disruption as an agonizing event
more often than as simple dissipation. Likewise a spirit’s sen-
sory perception is very different from our own. Even when a
spirit materializes into our world, it still exists primarily as an
astral creature. When observing an object, a spirit sees the au-
ras and shadows first and the physical characteristics second.
Physical details metahumans characterize as obvious are fre-
quently overlooked entirely by spirits. Interaction with tech-
nological display devices and simsense such as commlinks and
simrigs is even more tenuous. The location of a spirit’s visual
ability is at the very least variable; and as there is no nervous
system to connect to, the technical difficulties of making such
an AR setup are far from trivial.

As they see here, what the spirit looks like has very little to do with what it is. Fom =/= Function. The laws of sympathy don't apply.

QUOTE ( @ Mar 17 2011, 11:56 AM) *
So, you can put out a fire elemental with a fire extinguisher, despite the fact that most modern fire extinguishers aren't water or have rules in Shadowrun. Acid hurts spirits, even though they're made of an arcane material. Hell, bullets shouldn't affect a spirit, by that logic. If you go too far down the handwaving and chanting "Its' MAAAAGIC" path, you'll end up concluding that spirits cannot be hurt by mundane means at all, which is just insane.

The way I read the text in Street Magic, Materialized spirits are more like a blob of ectoplasm held together by the spirit's essence. Kind of like iron filings shaped into a pattern by a magnet. They tend to react badly to big, impacty things that tear out chunks of ectoplasm or make holding it together hard, by consuming it's pseudomatter in a brutal chemical reaction (fire, acid). But they don't have a nervous system, so something that relies on attacking the particular metahuman physiology like neurostun (presumably a neurotoxin) wouldn't find anything to affect.
Stahlseele
It boils down to:
The rules don't say they are not affected the same as everybody else
The fluff says they are not affected by ANYTHING but magic.

Either you accept that players can KO spirits with tasers and needles with drugs or you accept that nothing aside from magic can even hurt a spirit.
Seth
Either you accept that players can KO spirits with tasers and needles with drugs or you accept that nothing aside from magic can even hurt a spirit.

Or you play the rules:
  • Immunity to normal weapons is 2* force
  • vs elemental damage it's 1*force
  • Drugs mostly don't work

Edit: and as pointed out in the next post force of will works really well.
Method
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 17 2011, 07:28 AM) *
But this is inaccurate. If a spirit materializes you can still harm them physically and with force of will attacks. If you are arguing that these aren't as effective as magic, well so be it. So you need a mage to effectively deal with tough magical threats? How is that any different than other characters excelling in their specialized areas? I'd argue that you need a hacker for difficult matrix tasks or a street sam for intense combats.
Seth
A decent street sam makes mince meat of most spirits unless they are of a power level that the spirit can wipe out an army.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 17 2011, 06:13 AM) *
A decent street sam makes mince meat of most spirits unless they are of a power level that the spirit can wipe out an army.

Which SHOULD be quite rare indeed...
Method
Agreed.
phlapjack77
It's topics like this that have me adopting something Ascalaphus said as a sig

*grumble*
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Mar 17 2011, 06:58 AM) *
It's topics like this that have me adopting something Ascalaphus said as a sig

The problem, as I have noticed, is that Common Sense often isn't.
Yerameyahu
At least give Voltaire credit when you quote him. smile.gif

Cain, are you trolling us? biggrin.gif No one said bullets caused 'pressure damage', or that vacuum does, for that matter. And *everyone* said that air spirits *aren't* air. Repeatedly, hehe.

And you keep bringing up that 'you'll have to say that bullets don't hurt them, hurr' argument. Physical damage hurts sprits; Acid damage is physical (possibly even Elemental) damage, bullets are physical damage, etc. Toxins are biological, which *is* different.
pbangarth
This is the crux of the issue: biological damage is not the same as physical damage. Spirits are not biological, and cannot be affected, positively or negatively, by biological means. They can be torn apart, burned by acid, shot, sliced.... whatever physical thing you want to do to them.

By the same token, metahumans, not being made of spiritual energy, cannot be affected by attacks of will.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 17 2011, 07:36 AM) *
This is the crux of the issue: biological damage is not the same as physical damage. Spirits are not biological, and cannot be affected, positively or negatively, by biological means. They can be torn apart, burned by acid, shot, sliced.... whatever physical thing you want to do to them.

By the same token, metahumans, not being made of spiritual energy, cannot be affected by attacks of will.

Yet a Spirit can be Healed by the Heal Spell, which is Biological in nature, even if it is Magic at its base. biggrin.gif If a Spirit was not biological, it would never be able to benefit from any of the Health Class Spells, which they can benefit from.
KarmaInferno
i generally go with "could it hurt a rock?"

If you spray a substance on a rock and it damages the rock, it can probably damage a spirit.

-k
Prime Mover
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 17 2011, 11:51 AM) *
i generally go with "could it hurt a rock?"

If you spray a substance on a rock and it damages the rock, it can probably damage a spirit.

-k

This is probably the most concise post in this topic. I like it.
Seth
So the rules on spirits are fairly clear. Spirits are quite hard: and I think thats a good thing. If you find a "spirit-o-cide" that kills all known spirits dead, you loose the fact the spirits are hard.

So do you want spirits to be hard or not?
  • If you want them to be hard the current rules are OK.
  • If you want them not to be hard introduce spirit repelling spray, spirit killing chemicals, and generally turn them into poodles. Go do it.

In RAW spirits are pretty hard, and there is no "spirit-o-cide".

The fluff is OK. It isn't perfect: for example if insectocide gets insect spirits then herbicides should get plant spirits. There are not many discrepancies however.

So just pick what you want. RAW is pretty clear though
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 17 2011, 10:20 AM) *
So the rules on spirits are fairly clear. Spirits are quite hard: and I think thats a good thing. If you find a "spirit-o-cide" that kills all known spirits dead, you loose the fact the spirits are hard.

So do you want spirits to be hard or not?
  • If you want them to be hard the current rules are OK.
  • If you want them not to be hard introduce spirit repelling spray, spirit killing chemicals, and generally turn them into poodles. Go do it.

In RAW spirits are pretty hard, and there is no "spirit-o-cide".

The fluff is OK. It isn't perfect: for example if insectocide gets insect spirits then herbicides should get plant spirits. There are not many discrepancies however.

So just pick what you want. RAW is pretty clear though

Except that Spirits are not really all that Hard...
Seth
Except that Spirits are not really all that Hard...

I guess that depends on your power-level. I find force 5 spirits pretty damm hard, and force 7 spirits can wipe out a small squad.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 17 2011, 09:27 AM) *
I guess that depends on your power-level. I find force 5 spirits pretty damm hard, and force 7 spirits can wipe out a small squad.

Well, Force 5 Spirits (which are somewhat uncommon at our table) are Susceptible to SnS rounds by RAW (Electrical Damage after all), and so are not really a threat... Force 7+ (which are exceedingly rare in our games) are indeed very difficult unless you are packing much heavier hardware...
James McMurray
If you're using SnS ammo as written even Force 7+ spirits aren't that big of a threat. Almost any hit with SnS will penetrate a Force 7 spirit's ItNW, and you only need one more hit for every added Force on the spirit. So a Force 10 spirit can be hurt by SnS + 5 net hits, which is definitely doable by a maxed out starting level street sam, especially if he spends Edge. It's even easier with a wide burst, which you might as well use unless your dice pool is pretty small, since the full burst won't help you penetrate.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Mar 17 2011, 11:43 AM) *
If you're using SnS ammo as written even Force 7+ spirits aren't that big of a threat. Almost any hit with SnS will penetrate a Force 7 spirit's ItNW, and you only need one more hit for every added Force on the spirit. So a Force 10 spirit can be hurt by SnS + 5 net hits, which is definitely doable by a maxed out starting level street sam, especially if he spends Edge. It's even easier with a wide burst, which you might as well use unless your dice pool is pretty small, since the full burst won't help you penetrate.

Again, burst fire (of any type) do not count towards defeating ITNW...
James McMurray
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 17 2011, 01:57 PM) *
Again, burst fire (of any type) do not count towards defeating ITNW...

What is your point? I didn't say that it did. I said to use a wide burst (i.e. - DV). Getting more net hits because they had fewer dodge dice will most definitely help.
Seth
I have never used stick and shock as I think it's totally broken (not so much for the killing spirits as for the taking out of people) I think its been poorly thought about because if it was that good no troops would use anything else. I don't mind tasers because while they are very powerful, they are typically single shot.

I think the statement that "with SnS even force 7 spirits aren't that big of a threat" is synonymous with "SnS is broken". It takes down humans even easier than spirits (the whole body+willpower(3) check and the minus 2 even if you make it).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Mar 17 2011, 01:02 PM) *
What is your point? I didn't say that it did. I said to use a wide burst (i.e. - DV). Getting more net hits because they had fewer dodge dice will most definitely help.

Sorry, Missed that particular bit of important information... My Apologies...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 17 2011, 02:04 PM) *
I have never used stick and shock as I think it's totally broken (not so much for the killing spirits as for the taking out of people) I think its been poorly thought about because if it was that good no troops would use anything else. I don't mind tasers because while they are very powerful, they are typically single shot.

I think the statement that "with SnS even force 7 spirits aren't that big of a threat" is synonymous with "SnS is broken". It takes down humans even easier than spirits (the whole body+willpower(3) check and the minus 2 even if you make it).

SnS is not that big of a threat really... The -2 Penalty is a nuissance more than anything else... I have yet to actually see a runner not make the Willpower + Body Check...
Yerameyahu
Yeah, but how many can soak the tons of stun? nyahnyah.gif Besides, a -2 is a huge penalty for a *successful* resistance, given that a wound is only -1.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 17 2011, 02:54 PM) *
Yeah, but how many can soak the tons of stun? nyahnyah.gif Besides, a -2 is a huge penalty for a *successful* resistance, given that a wound is only -1.

Sure, I guess... biggrin.gif Of course, you could always rule that the secondary effect does not take effect if there is no Primary Effect. I actually kind of like that... smile.gif
Laodicea
This is just another SnS vs. Spirits thread with a small twist. Can we be done with these threads all together for like a day?
James McMurray
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Mar 18 2011, 11:19 AM) *
This is just another SnS vs. Spirits thread with a small twist. Can we be done with these threads all together for like a day?

Nobody said you had to read it. smile.gif
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Mar 18 2011, 05:19 PM) *

No, it's a mandatory ritual that needs to be performed regularly.
CanRay
There's only one question I have about Spirits...

"Will it blend?"
Cain
The point of all this being, the rules are perfectly clear about what hurts a spirit and what doesn't. The question is, are chemical attacks sufficiently non-normal enough to stop qualifying as Normal Weapons, for purposes of the spirit's Immunity? By RAW, Narcojet, acid, and toxic waste all hurt a spirit in a similar fashion to humans. The only question is, are they normal weapons, or abnormal ones?
James McMurray
Immunity to Normal Weapons provides an armor rating. Toxins don't care about armor rating.How does it matter how "normal" toxins are when it comes to determining if they affect spirits?
Yerameyahu
Ditto.
Seth
I think we covered this pretty properly up above. Spirits don't have a nervous system (thats RAW). Most drugs people have named affect the nervous system. Spirits aren't affected by most drugs QED.
Stahlseele
Spirits don't have skin. No Organs. Nothing which can be hurt by physical means. Like Swords and Bullets. Spirits can not be hurt by Swords and Bullets. QED.
Yerameyahu
Logic doesn't connect those statements.
Stahlseele
because it's fucking magic.
magic tells you the spirit has a body that resembles something living, so you can hurt it with everything including poisons and toxins.
because you think it is like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012