Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is Pink Mohawk
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PiXeL01
I have no idea what this refers to.

Please be kind and exclaim the term to me.

Is it style, big explosions, movie SR or something entirely different?

Thanks in advance
squee_nabob
This is a simple definition: It's a play style which has big over the top actions that are unrealistic but highly cinematic. Often associated with early versions of shadowrun where rock-star was a common background.

Example: Breaking into a building

Black Trenchcoat: carefully hack/sneak/socially engineer your way in, take what you want, only fight if you have to.

Pink Mohawk: Blow open the wall with high explosives, shout “Hello <city name>, are you ready to rock?” at the top of your lungs. Write your name in the wall with your assault rifle and take what you want.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Pink mowhawk is a style of game/life.

The players are bigger than life. Everything is etremeley exagerated (guns, women, cars, women, haircuts), etc.

Stealth is for weaklings and bursting into th corp, guns blazing, explosions everywhere is not the only way, is the right way to do it.
Blade
QUOTE (PiXeL01 @ Mar 17 2011, 02:56 PM) *
exclaim the term to me.

"Pink Mohawk!"

... Sorry, couldn't resist
CanRay
It's also a drink you can order at Club Penumbra. nyahnyah.gif

It's the style of game when RPGs were still newish and people thought of Shadowrun as "D&D with Guns". More Punk, Less Cyber, essentially. Take the first part of "A Clockwork Orange", mix in everything you know about Punk Culture (If you're not old enough to remember Punk when it was real, research!), add in Fantasy Elements... Then pour in RoboCop and The Terminator. Season to taste, and cook at 400 Degrees until the guy in your oven breaks out and punches you in the face.
nezumi
Blade beat me to the punch.

It's loud, exciting, no-holds-barred, style over substance, cranked past 11, surfing the shock wave on the edge of the universe sort of play. It's the sort of game where the runners plan to infiltrate a building, one of them comes to the meet with a pink mohawk, and that's totally okay.
CanadianWolverine
Here is how I think of it, ever see that movie Smokin' Aces http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475394/ ? Here, if you haven't seen it this youtube vid should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKh_TDaNUJY

Remember those guys who go in guns a blazin (they are the ones coming out of the elevator from the smoke)? And then you have the others who sneak their way in with varying degrees of success? Pink Mohawk in the guys who go in blazin'. Basicly, if you are bringing attention to your character and that is intentional and over the top extreme, good chance your character is closer to the Pink Mohawk side of the spectrum of dirty deeds done dirt cheap. Ice cold professionals, better they are its a good chance you never even knew they were there and if you did there is little in the way of evidence that can be tracked, so that would be the opposite side of that spectrum. Duke Nukem <---> Sam "Splinter Cell" Fisher.
X-Kalibur
You know the Kool-Aid guy? Busting in through the wall going "OH YEAH!"? It's like that... only with more explosions and gunfire... and pink mohawks.
ggodo
Pink Mohawk is how my PCs trollbow plays. Apparently that's what Uncouth looks like in a Black Trenchcoat campaign.

Of course, my players do live in the basement of the Science Fiction museum, so their trenchcoats aren't all black.
Angelone
Pink mohawk is giving the scientist you extracted from the secure facility a wedgie and wet willie before you hand him over to the Johnson.
underaneonhalo
I agree, the Tremor brothers are the ultimate pink mohawks. Anyone who has not seen Smokin' Aces is missing out on some awesome Shadowrun inspiration.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 17 2011, 02:44 PM) *
Take the first part of "A Clockwork Orange", mix in everything you know about Punk Culture, add in Fantasy Elements... Then pour in RoboCop and The Terminator. Season to taste, and cook at 400 Degrees until the guy in your oven breaks out and punches you in the face.

Sig'd! biggrin.gif
Epicedion
Don't forget to have everyone dress like they're extras in Beyond Thunderdome.
CanRay
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Mar 17 2011, 02:33 PM) *

Only if that's the style at the time. Try that in Seattle of 2070, and everyone will look at you like you're an idiot. Steampunk is in style right now.

2050s, then, yes, you'd fit right in with the club scene and Sprawlers.
Epicedion
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 17 2011, 03:40 PM) *
Only if that's the style at the time. Try that in Seattle of 2070, and everyone will look at you like you're an idiot. Steampunk is in style right now.

2050s, then, yes, you'd fit right in with the club scene and Sprawlers.

Aw, no more football pads with spikes on one shoulder?
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Mar 17 2011, 07:33 PM) *

Was that ever a RL style? If so, it needs to be brought back.
Garou
And always remember: In Pink Mohawk Games, cool guys don't look at explosions.

CanRay
QUOTE (Garou @ Mar 17 2011, 03:20 PM) *
And always remember: In Pink Mohawk Games, cool guys don't look at explosions.

BULL! (No, not you Bull, sorry.).

If a proper demo man is doing his job right, you're going to want to record it going off, it'll be epic and you'll want to have it as part of your ShadowResume!

Oh, and don't forget the Oregano. It's not a real explosion without the proper spices.
Mickle5125
In my LA game, the party managed to roll really well on some driving tests, and managed to take out pursuing gangers with some police cars that were chasing them. They also chucked a home made bomb out into the intersection, just to make sure that there would be enough explosions.

This is pink mohawk.

The fact that they recorded it and sold the tape to a TV company is just awesome.
Yerameyahu
The *other* side of Pink Mohawk is that it *works*. The world (GM) doesn't instantly murder people as it otherwise 'realistically' would.
Whipstitch
Pink Mohawk and Terry Pratchett's principle of narrative causality go hand in hand quite well, yeah. If you're cool enough gambling on a million to one odds leads to success nine times out of ten.

Another fun thing about Shadowrun is that Pink Mohawk is something that can happen to the Ice Cold Pro team. I once had a team whose Face was a buttoned-down former corp brat who was all style and sophistication so one of the first runs I threw at them was re-acquiring a lost crate of prototype assault rifles from the Scatterbrains.
Yerameyahu
Well, only with GM intervention. Pink Mohawk and Ice Cold can't exist (fairly) in the same game world.
Whipstitch
Depends on how you define fair, I suppose. I don't mess with dice pools or weight results against people or anything like that. I was mostly referring to the attitude. Gangers don't live in a world without consequences, but there's also manifestly some canon groups who don't particularly worry much about a wide swath of potential consequences. Shadowrunners do a lot of the stuff they do because they want to get paid, keep things quiet and avoid getting tagged with a criminal SIN etc. Discretion is often a big part of what they do and a lot of runners like their comforts. Barrens gangers aren't looking to get shot in the head, mind you, but they have less to lose than many groups and thus a bit of brinksmanship might work in their favor when dealing with a small runner team. Or it might not. The runners might end up wiping them out. Fair is fair. I just like keeping some groups that think like that in my games. They're a big part of the shadowrun mystique and history, after all.
Yerameyahu
Oh, I misunderstood your example. I meant that the runner team can't survive as Pink Mohawk for very long in a 'world' that the GM's not helping them through. smile.gif Playing a Pink Mohawk game is a fun way to play, but with forensics, DNA, surveillance, spirits, and pretty rough lethal damage rules… if there's any room left, it's small.
Makki
you can actually play Ghost Cartels very Pink Mohawk, as you're leaving every town very soon anyway. Ofc the PCs don't really know that. But the GM has less to worry about.
CanRay
Ice Cold and Pink Mohawk can work very well together, especially when it comes to interrogation.

You got a bunch of loud-mouthed, bad-breathed, spoon sharpening freaks talking about all the sick, twisted things they're going to do to the subject, while one guy in a suit, with a set of flats laying neatly folded next to him, just sits quietly and stares. Intently. Unblinking. Hard.

Then he calmly and politely asks everyone else to leave, and strips down, putting on the flats. The Pink Mohawks look fearful and sorry to the subject, one actually mutters an apology, and they leave quietly. Maybe one sings a dirge or chants "Dead man, dead man sitting" or some such (Because we are talking Pink Mohawks.).

You better damn well bet that person is going to talk before the Ice Man has his shirt on.

Shadowrunners don't have a "Good Cop". They have a "Bad Cop", "Worse Cop", and "We don't even want know why he wants a dozen Devil Rats, a car battery with jumper cables, a pair of safety scissors, and a Giant Go-Motion Dunkie the Dragon with a Strap-On Dildo which has spikes on it."
Raven the Trickster
Damn... that would be fun, it's a shame the gangers my team is working with on the current run haven't seen either my character or our team chemist/demolitions expert (/hacker) work yet or we could do just that. The HoD gang practically lives pink mohawk, and he and I are about as ice cold as it gets.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 17 2011, 07:00 PM) *
Ice Cold and Pink Mohawk can work very well together, especially when it comes to interrogation.

You got a bunch of loud-mouthed, bad-breathed, spoon sharpening freaks talking about all the sick, twisted things they're going to do to the subject, while one guy in a suit, with a set of flats laying neatly folded next to him, just sits quietly and stares. Intently. Unblinking. Hard.

Then he calmly and politely asks everyone else to leave, and strips down, putting on the flats. The Pink Mohawks look fearful and sorry to the subject, one actually mutters an apology, and they leave quietly. Maybe one sings a dirge or chants "Dead man, dead man sitting" or some such (Because we are talking Pink Mohawks.).

You better damn well bet that person is going to talk before the Ice Man has his shirt on.

Shadowrunners don't have a "Good Cop". They have a "Bad Cop", "Worse Cop", and "We don't even want know why he wants a dozen Devil Rats, a car battery with jumper cables, a pair of safety scissors, and a Giant Go-Motion Dunkie the Dragon with a Strap-On Dildo which has spikes on it."

You really worry me Canray... A Lot... wobble.gif
CanRay
One of my friends put it best: "When the Apocalypse happens, I'm hiding behind you."

I'm an overweight computer nerd with no firearms experience or much in the way of any real combat or survival skills. He knows this, and still stands by his statement.

Just a lot of knowledge and a willingness to never say die. Or give up.

And it's only gotten worse in recent years as well...

I worry you. Frag, man, I worry MYSELF. What does that tell you? (Other than the fact that I should get a Pink Mohawk?).
Belvidere
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 17 2011, 11:47 PM) *
You really worry me Canray... A Lot... wobble.gif

Thank you, I'm not alone in my fear.
X-Kalibur
He worries people? Man, I get inspiration from half the stuff that spews forth from his brain.
CanRay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Mar 17 2011, 10:47 PM) *
He worries people? Man, I get inspiration from half the stuff that spews forth from his brain.

Inspiring people can be the scariest thing someone can do.
QUOTE (H. L. Mencken)
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... Without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are."

I had the third-most frightening occupation anyone can have... I was a Librarian.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 17 2011, 09:00 PM) *

While I get your point on this one.. the groups I'd be with would probably laugh at this sort of display. If you're caught, they're going to kill you or not. Torture you or not. Putting on shows and stuff just prolong it. This sort of action *nods up* Looks staged so it'd have even less effect.

The trick is to "Show' Don't "tell" If you want someone to know you're serious. Skip the theatrics and cut something off.
CanRay
Jayne: [studies his face for a second] "Aw, see?" [gets up; disappointed] "They don't know a damn thing. It's all over your face. I ain't even... I was gonna get me a ear, too." - Firefly

Never said that the Ice Cold wasn't going to start cutting. But sometimes it's best if you can break the person without having to resort to such things.

And, remember, most of the time, you're not dealing with "Groups you'd be with", but with amateurs.

Physical torture is supposedly counterproductive anyhow... But I'll let the experts chime in on that. I'm sure we have at least one professional interrogator in Dumpshock. I know one wrote adventures for Deadlands. (Scary bloody adventures as well!).

And you forgot to add into consideration the need for someone to "Read" the subject as well. Sure, it looks like we just broke the manager of a Stuffer Shack, but it turns out he's an Aztechnology Professional as well, and has been trained in the art of espionage and how to fake "Breaking". A Magician with Astral Perception is best...

Another possibility is dealing with secondary psyches. Bunraku Parlors aren't the only places that can benefit from the technology. Rip out that "Calmness 3.8" chip, and you're really ripping out the person you're supposed to be dealing with.

But we're moving away from Pink Mohawk and into Ice Cold Professionals.
Yerameyahu
And that's why Pink Mohawk and Ice Cold don't mix. Pink Mohawk is theatrics and no consequences (*not* consequences be damned, then they'd just die defiant), and Ice Cold is 'just be effective'. Both are great, both work, just not together. An Ice Cold in a Pink Mohawk world will be bored and *over*-cautious (wasting time and money on problems that don't exist), while a Pink Mohawk in an Ice Cold world will be arrested/shot instantly.

On a side note, 'just start cutting' is very Pink Mohawk; it's brash, stupid, and dramatic. And careful interrogation through any effective tactic is very Ice Cold. Pink Mohawk doesn't mean 'loud'. It means 'stupid'. biggrin.gif In a good way. It's Leeroy Jenkins and Captain Kirk, leap and never look, Kenny Powers impulsivity. Those crazy mafia thugs in the movies aren't Ice Cold, they're Pink Mohawk (just uncool, alas). Action movie heroes are Pink Mohawk, even if they wear a suit.
Glyph
I see Pink Mohawk and Grey Trenchcoat as extreme ends of GMing styles - most campaigns tend to have a bit of both. It depends on how much detail you can put in before it makes the game tedious, rather than adding verisimilitude. I kind of like games in between those two extremes, an action movie style with a bit of noir and dystopia for flavor, but not completely lacking in consequences for stupidity, either.

There are, frankly, a lot of Pink Mohawk options in the game. There are qualities, metatypes, and equipment that simply wouldn't be practical in a cold pro game.
Yerameyahu
Of course. smile.gif No one wants to deal with those literally insane list of (largely metagaming) precautions you see posted sometimes: 1. Radar/sniffer/audio scan for booby traps, 2. Take one step, 3. Return to Step 1. biggrin.gif And with zero consequences, it's roleplaying, but no game.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 18 2011, 01:07 AM) *
Never said that the Ice Cold wasn't going to start cutting. But sometimes it's best if you can break the person without having to resort to such things.

And, remember, most of the time, you're not dealing with "Groups you'd be with", but with amateurs.

Physical torture is supposedly counterproductive anyhow... But I'll let the experts chime in on that. I'm sure we have at least one professional interrogator in Dumpshock. I know one wrote adventures for Deadlands. (Scary bloody adventures as well!).

And you forgot to add into consideration the need for someone to "Read" the subject as well. Sure, it looks like we just broke the manager of a Stuffer Shack, but it turns out he's an Aztechnology Professional as well, and has been trained in the art of espionage and how to fake "Breaking". A Magician with Astral Perception is best...

Another possibility is dealing with secondary psyches. Bunraku Parlors aren't the only places that can benefit from the technology. Rip out that "Calmness 3.8" chip, and you're really ripping out the person you're supposed to be dealing with.

But we're moving away from Pink Mohawk and into Ice Cold Professionals.

Well that's a bit of a misunderstanding.

"Torture against trained professionals, or for prolonged periods does not yield maximum time/effort to result"

But yeah for your average guy off the street. Torture works DAMN well.

Against a trained Espionage agent or experienced shadowrunner? No. You might as well not try. But those are different situations.

Just like.. cutting off a finger to ear to get a few answers is one thing..but you cut on a guy for 10 or 15 hours he's going to check out and tell you what ever you want to hear to get it to stop.

Torture DOES work. It's just not what you'd call optimal. In any way shape or form.
CanRay
Psychological torment is more effective. Break the spirit, and, well, mind follows. Also, sending back the broken shell of a man/woman will send a message pretty strongly too. Everyone has a breaking point for this, it's just a matter of time. Something most people don't have. (And, again, you run into the issue of "They'll say anything to make it stop".).

Surprisingly, Pink Mohawks can be good at this. Shock and Awe is their stock in trade after all.
Pepsi Jedi
True, but that method takes 48hours+ to people who train exclusively how to do it for years.

On a run you never have two days to get questions out of someone and very rarely have some place safe enough you can DO it, for 2 days, much less want to stay still for 2 days and let people find you and such.

Does it work, yes. It does. But as you said. it takes time. Far more time than you're going to want to invest. That sort o thing best happens 'off screen'.

Cutting off a finger or ear or pokin' out an eye takes a few seconds and will get you 99% of the answers you need. that other 1% aren't going to break on your schedule. lol
CanadianWolverine
I see a bunch of horse shit.

First off, IRL (and if I was the GM), torture simply does not work for good intel. 1 second or 1 year of it won't make a difference, the victim will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get you to stop and so it is absolutely unreliable. You really want to get someone to talk? Make them think you are their friend, pass em a drink, find some sort of common ground/interest - that's how they did the nazis who were still alive at the end of WWII and it worked. There is only one reason to torture and it isn't good intel, its being sadistic. Just admit it is to prove you are a bigger psychopath than the other psychos, full stop, that you do it for revenge, retribution, for the hell of it. Anything else you are lying to yourself as bad as the guy you are "interrogating". But hey, this is fiction and if you insist on getting off on torture as entertaining you sick puppy, then have fun imitating 24's Jack Bauer. In the mean time, don't forget the message torture sends to other characters, if that is what they are willing to do to them... Notoriety points and bad karma, here we come. "You tortured the person I loved..." Just like always whacking the guards should bring you some consequences, thinking that torture works is going to give you a "wonderful" reputation right up there with child molesters.

Second bit of horse shit, Pink Mohawk and Ice Cold / Mirror Shade Pros do work together in the same world. Have you read the fiction? Pretty much the majority of the world fell through the cracks when the mega-corps and magic took over, no amount of SR CSI can account for that and the over worked, under paid corp slaves who do their masters bidding when they look into what they decide is a crime that week (you know, whatever they aren't doing and what the other guys are) who do contract work for governments who have had their sources of taxation reduced to next to nil between the majority sinless, slums, corp script, corp citizens, and extra-territory status. Its pretty simple, to the Ice Cold Pro, Pink Mohawks are otherwise known as Distraction runners. While the corp sec has their hands full with the Pink Mohawks, they don't even realize the Ice Cold Pro had really paid them a visit over there. And if the Pink Mohawk suicide squad is still around at the end of the day, that just means they are good enough to serve as a bigger distraction for the next job, worth the other half of the pay you promised them - if not, you get to keep the other half of the pay you promised them. Win-win. Ice Cold Pros love Pink Mohawks, takes so much of the heat off them it might as well be winter white out in Antarctica.

So yeah, on those two points I have to call bullshit. You all need to check yourself before you wreck yourself, IMnsHO.
nezumi
Ignoring Canadian above (seeing as we're playing in a game, and buddy-buddy isn't as much fun as bonesaws)...

Interrogation is like sex. It's all about the foreplay.
Find out their kinks and work it.

Regarding pink mohawk/black shades, I've played with both types. They can work together when they're willing to compromise, and when the pink mohawks have patience, while the black shades MOVE now and again. If your group isn't like that (and it generally isn't), it's doomed to failure. When running with a dumb college student and a thirty-year-old network engineer, it's a good idea to ply the engineer with a few beers prior, and keep the student from getting any, and maybe you'll meet somewhere in the middle.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Mar 18 2011, 03:01 AM) *
I see a bunch of horse shit.

First off, IRL (and if I was the GM), torture simply does not work for good intel. 1 second or 1 year of it won't make a difference, the victim will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get you to stop and so it is absolutely unreliable.

That's why you don't start with questions you don't know the answer to. Come on! You start with questions you know the answer to. Interrogation, no matter how you do it, is a controlled process. If it isn't controlled then you can't validate any of the information you're given no matter how you perform it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Mar 18 2011, 06:21 AM) *
That's why you don't start with questions you don't know the answer to. Come on! You start with questions you know the answer to. Interrogation, no matter how you do it, is a controlled process. If it isn't controlled then you can't validate any of the information you're given no matter how you perform it.

To be fair, Interrogation is different than Torture.
KarmaInferno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0#t=2m46s

-k
Yerameyahu
Inexplicable tone aside, CanadianWolverine, you basically made my case for me. smile.gif If Pink Mohawks are 'distractions' who 'might survive' while the Ice Cold Pros do the actual job… that means they're not fairly coexisting in the same world. And no, I haven't read any of the fiction; I play Shadowrun.
Angelone
Interrogation that works. I think lying to the people who are torturing you is stupid, because what do you think they are going to do when they figured out you lied to them? Probably something worse.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 18 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Inexplicable tone aside, CanadianWolverine, you basically made my case for me. smile.gif If Pink Mohawks are 'distractions' who 'might survive' while the Ice Cold Pros do the actual job… that means they're not fairly coexisting in the same world. And no, I haven't read any of the fiction; I play Shadowrun.

They can co-exist. The Ice Cold Pros just charter the Pink Mohawks to cause distractions for them.
KarmaInferno
I'm pretty sure Yerameyahu means "working side by side as part of the same coordinated integrated team" when he says "co-existing".

Pink Mohawk Team over THERE blowing stuff up while Ice Cold Team HERE sneaks in during the distraction isn't exactly that.

Anyhow, why would you hire another group of Shadowrunners of any sort merely to cause that sort of distraction? Hiring gangers is a lot cheaper.

-k
StealthSigma
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 18 2011, 10:03 AM) *
I'm pretty sure Yerameyahu means "working side by side as part of the same coordinated integrated team" when he says "co-existing".

Pink Mohawk Team over THERE blowing stuff up while Ice Cold Team HERE sneaks in during the distraction isn't exactly that.

Anyhow, why would you hire another group of Shadowrunners of any sort merely to cause that sort of distraction? Hiring gangers is a lot cheaper.

That's the sort of business arrangement I could see some Ice Cold and Pink Mohawks entering. You're allowed to cause chaos distracting security while we hit the objective. Assuming that a distraction would make the op easier for the Ice Colds.

The advantage of Pink Mohawks over gangers is that they're likely to survive. Pay them well and they'll keep working with you. Plus you're providing fun for them. The gangers are disposable. The Pink Mohawks also provide a constant magnet for attention. you're basically setting up patsies for yourself by having the Mohawks at all of your crime scenes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012