Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Non shiva-arms trollBow
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 7 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Sure, except that my Ninja Throwing Adept does more damage with Shuriken than a gun has any hope of putting out, unless it is an Assault Cannon or Barrett (or a Fully Automatic Weapon with Full Long Bursts).

Did you miss that I was also throwing 4-6 Shuriken per Pass if I so desired? Generally do not have to do that more than once per ready action for my targets to be down.

And they are totally silent...

And I can use ANY thing I can pick up as a Weapon for throwing purposes (yes, even the paper clip), even in situations that you will never have access to a gun...

It is a niche build to be sure, but it is definitely viable.

And for a single weapon with no splits, The NJTA will generally do more damage than the Gun Bunny...2 Shots = 2 Simple Actions = 2 Throws.

Yep, definitely sounding better now, but still a few points to haggle over.

• I corrected the 4-6 shuriken per pass since you need to spend an action to ready them in your first pass. Thus it's 2-3 for the first pass.
  • How do you throw three in one action? don't you have an even number of hands?
  • Do you split you dice by the number of weapons you throw, or just split your dice in half regardless? I've been wondering this for a while, but I imagine it's more of a house rule than a RAW.
  • Guns have a large number of cutomizations that shuriken can't get: smartgun; AV rounds; firing selection change; EX rounds; EX-EX rounds; EX-EX-EX-EX-EX-EX rounds (okay, made that last one up).

I kinda like the sound of this though. Shuriken seem to have that perfect balance between "dang he still has one more physical box, I'll try again right now" and "I don't know how many times I overflowed ALL his condition monitors, but that's my attack for the Combat Turn."
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 7 2011, 03:24 PM) *
Yep, definitely sounding better now, but still a few points to haggle over.

• I corrected the 4-6 shuriken per pass since you need to spend an action to ready them in your first pass. Thus it's 2-3 for the first pass.
  • How do you throw three in one action? don't you have an even number of hands?
  • Do you split you dice by the number of weapons you throw, or just split your dice in half regardless? I've been wondering this for a while, but I imagine it's more of a house rule than a RAW.
  • Guns have a large number of cutomizations that shuriken can't get: smartgun; AV rounds; firing selection change; EX rounds; EX-EX rounds; EX-EX-EX-EX-EX-EX rounds (okay, made that last one up).

I kinda like the sound of this though. Shuriken seem to have that perfect balance between "dang he still has one more physical box, I'll try again right now" and "I don't know how many times I overflowed ALL his condition monitors, but that's my attack for the Combat Turn."

1. Quick Draw them as part of the inital action...
2. Split Dice are irrelevant to the number of Limbs you may have. You can split a Martial Arts Kick 10 ways if you want... so why not a thrown weapon?
3. Split of Action Dice is the issue, of course. You split Base Pool by the number of attacks you wish to make, then add modifiers. But even if you are reduced to 3-4 Dice per attack (Splitting into 3 attacks/pass gives me 6 Dice to attack with each, minus any negatives, of course), that is not too shabby, especially if the target does not know that you are there; As is often the case with my Ninja Character.
4. This is an Issue. Tables will vary in what is allowed. If your table allows customized materials for your shuriken, then you may be able to obtain such things as Tungston penetrators, or other exotic materials. And honestly, what about the "Special" Ammunition gives it the special properties? Is it the Ammunition istelf (it is obviously not the gun, after all). If so, just throw the round (removed from the Casing, of course), as any good Missile Master should be able to do. Thus you know have access to ExEx, EX, APDS, and even the more exotic rounds like Gel, Capsule, and even AV.

Yes, Shuriken are pretty nice, and are pretty easy to hide in quantity. A Missile Master is a niche build, due to range issues (But even my Ninja is effective to over 100 Meters), but can be very fun indeed, since you do not need ANY firearms whatsoever.

Enjoy...
Stahlseele
*blink blink*
i think nobody ever thought about a missle master using clips with ammo to throw the bullets in them O.o Caseless ExExAPDS Ammo thrown . . .
he'd basivally, be his own rifle/Shotgun . . furthermore, better get erased because if you're going to throw stuff around, you don't want it pointing back in your direction . .
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 7 2011, 04:00 PM) *
*blink blink*
i think nobody ever thought about a missle master using clips with ammo to throw the bullets in them O.o Caseless ExExAPDS Ammo thrown . . .
he'd basivally, be his own rifle/Shotgun . . furthermore, better get erased because if you're going to throw stuff around, you don't want it pointing back in your direction . .

Exactly... and the CSI guys are going to be left stumped as to how the bullet got there in the first place. No powder residue, or various other indicators, like Weapon marks, etc.

Nails are pretty nice too... and hella cheap.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 7 2011, 02:57 PM) *
1. Quick Draw them as part of the inital action...
2. Split Dice are irrelevant to the number of Limbs you may have. You can split a Martial Arts Kick 10 ways if you want... so why not a thrown weapon?
3. Split of Action Dice is the issue, of course. You split Base Pool by the number of attacks you wish to make, then add modifiers. But even if you are reduced to 3-4 Dice per attack (Splitting into 3 attacks/pass gives me 6 Dice to attack with each, minus any negatives, of course), that is not too shabby, especially if the target does not know that you are there; As is often the case with my Ninja Character.
4. This is an Issue. Tables will vary in what is allowed. If your table allows customized materials for your shuriken, then you may be able to obtain such things as Tungston penetrators, or other exotic materials. And honestly, what about the "Special" Ammunition gives it the special properties? Is it the Ammunition istelf (it is obviously not the gun, after all). If so, just throw the round (removed from the Casing, of course), as any good Missile Master should be able to do. Thus you know have access to ExEx, EX, APDS, and even the more exotic rounds like Gel, Capsule, and even AV.

Yes, Shuriken are pretty nice, and are pretty easy to hide in quantity. A Missile Master is a niche build, due to range issues (But even my Ninja is effective to over 100 Meters), but can be very fun indeed, since you do not need ANY firearms whatsoever.

Enjoy...

Lol, I love it. I've learned to dislike having two stats to rely on for damage, but still, wow.

On the other hand, this:
But even if you are reduced to 3-4 Dice per attack (Splitting into 3 attacks/pass gives me 6 Dice to attack with each, minus any negatives, of course)

makes me worry that the surprise round is an absolute necessity. I imagine most enemies have a nice 4+ reflex. At 6 reflex, you're missing more than half the time since they win on ties.

P.S. Love the idea about throwing rounds. Even better, it sounds legit.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 7 2011, 03:05 PM) *
Exactly... and the CSI guys are going to be left stumped as to how the bullet got there in the first place. No powder residue, or various other indicators, like Weapon marks, etc.

Nails are pretty nice too... and hella cheap.

Indeed. You'll keep growing ammo for a few days after you die because one guy had high perception and decided to use edge.

Despite the comment, I love stealthy characters.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 7 2011, 04:06 PM) *
Lol, I love it. I've learned to dislike having two stats to rely on for damage, but still, wow.

On the other hand, this:
But even if you are reduced to 3-4 Dice per attack (Splitting into 3 attacks/pass gives me 6 Dice to attack with each, minus any negatives, of course)

makes me worry that the surprise round is an absolute necessity. I imagine most enemies have a nice 4+ reflex. At 6 reflex, you're missing more than half the time since they win on ties.

P.S. Love the idea about throwing rounds. Even better, it sounds legit.

Well, I would never Attempt to Split Dice pools if I did not have the Upper Hand. Even Still, a Single Thrown Shuriken (or better yet, a Special Round with cool properties) thrown from the hands of a competant missile master can inflict crazy amounts of damage.

Glad you like it.
Yerameyahu
You can throw any bullets you want, but they don't do anything more than paperclips. smile.gif
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 7 2011, 03:50 PM) *
You can throw any bullets you want, but they don't do anything more than paperclips. smile.gif

Thrower no throwing. Thrower no throwing! THROWER NO THROWING!

Aww maaaann!
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 7 2011, 06:05 PM) *

Even better, they'll be wondering why all the bullets in the body still have their unfired cartridges still attached.

smile.gif

-k
Draco18s
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 7 2011, 08:09 PM) *
Even better, they'll be wondering why all the bullets in the body still have their unfired cartridges still attached.

Caseless ammo. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 7 2011, 06:09 PM) *

smile.gif

-k

Which is why I said to remove the Bullet from the cartridge in my original comment on this line of thought. You normally catch those details KarmaInferno. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Yerameyahu)
You can throw any bullets you want, but they don't do anything more than paperclips.

Maybe, maybe not. That falls into the category of Individual Table interpretations. A Hardened Tungsten Penetrator is still a Hardened Tungsten Penetrator, regardless of whether it is accelerated by Mystic Muscle Mass or explosive propellant. wobble.gif
longbowrocks
Actually, I think we should stick with the "bullets don't do anything extra" line of thought, because it works both ways, and I really want to be the most lethal flowergirl in history.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 7 2011, 10:13 PM) *
Actually, I think we should stick with the "bullets don't do anything extra" line of thought, because it works both ways, and I really want to be the most lethal flowergirl in history.

Heheh... Flowers can be deadly smile.gif
Blade
Why throw bullets when you can throw mortar rounds?

Makes me want to play a Cyclop Thrower called Thor:
"Thor? From the original Norse God or from the comic books?"
"FROM THE THOR SHOTS!"
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 8 2011, 06:05 AM) *
Why throw bullets when you can throw mortar rounds?

Makes me want to play a Cyclop Thrower called Thor:
"Thor? From the original Norse God or from the comic books?"
"FROM THE THOR SHOTS!"

Mortar Rounds are heavy, though, and not very subtle. smile.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 7 2011, 10:13 PM) *
Which is why I said to remove the Bullet from the cartridge in my original comment on this line of thought. You normally catch those details KarmaInferno. biggrin.gif

Huh. But why? Confusing the cops is more entertaining.

Hey, let's really confuse them! Throw frozen meatballs!

-k
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 8 2011, 06:25 AM) *
Huh. But why? Confusing the cops is more entertaining.

Hey, let's really confuse them! Throw frozen meatballs!

-k

Yep, or even Ping Pong Balls. Quite Entertaining... wobble.gif
Icicles are fun too, if you have access to them routinely.
Stahlseele
Throw Ice-Shards. Or Icicles. Melts and all traces are gone.
longbowrocks
you could also make a called shot to throw a lead needle to your max range, but do so through your target. That way the enemy would be dead, and the bullet would be far outside the scene of the crime.
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012