Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spy Games now available for electronic download, print pre-order
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Udoshi
QUOTE (hermit @ May 20 2011, 09:22 AM) *
Overall, Spy Games lookes like a book of old, of the height of Synner's era. Some rough edges and weirdness, but nothing like the total offense War was, nor as lackluster thrown together, unguided and beyong canon as Attitude was (which was good in parts and horrifying in others). Not through yet though.

Did you feel you got your money's worth out of the content inside?
hermit
Dose: Two fi fty. Thirty six. Uno. Cuarenta y cinco. Quarantasette.
Novantadue. Ni hundered og fem. Femtiåtte. Quarantase. Konets.

translates to:
Dose: Two fifty. Thirty six. one. fourty-five. fourty-seven.
ninety. Nine hundred and five. fifty-eight. fourty-six. the end.

Italian, Spanish, Italian, Italian, Norwegian, Norwegian, Italian, Russian.

So far, yes. Euro's still strong, which helps. Isn't bad, though. useful info and probably useful gear. But, havuing read, like, a quarter yet, I'm not making final judgements here.
CanRay
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ May 21 2011, 12:25 AM) *
There is nothing there in french.

Nothing in the Shadowrun books in French... Yet. nyahnyah.gif We just got a multilingual dump, and French is a major language used around the world. (Asia, North America, Africa, Europe...)

QUOTE (Udoshi @ May 21 2011, 02:44 AM) *

Still haven't gone through it with a fine toothed comb, but I'm happy with my purchase of a PDF copy, especially as I got it on sale. biggrin.gif
Giabralter
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ May 20 2011, 03:56 AM) *
I apologize for the lack of info on clean car coating. Stats should be as follows:

Mod Slot Threshold Tools Cost Availability
CCC 0 8 shop Body x 50¥ 4

Jason H.

Here's the inspiration for it under video and it's the video titled blast mitigation.

http://www.rhinoliningsindustrial.com/appl...le_jacket/76/95
hobgoblin
Reminds me that one can fix a leaky fuel tank using a bar of soap, thanks to how it interacts with petrol.
Fatum
Okay, glanced over my buddy's head to see what the book has on the GRU, and what the crunch is good for.

And the first quote is instant WTF:
QUOTE (Spy Games, p. 125)
> The Western agencies actually try to make runners hold back by demanding they don’t cause harm. I’ve seen GRU operatives let runners go all out and then murder them during the after-action meet to conceal their part in killing a bunch of Red Army spies.
Does the Army has any other intelligence agencies in addition to the GRU for GRU operatives to order a murder of "Red Army spies"?

The part on the GRU itself is boring, though. No fact-checking done since SoE, the GRU still handles political officers (which has always been the KGB's duty, actually, political officer being in the KGB and not Army's chain of command is what gave him his power, and what made him that hated), but now it uses them to back up its political ambitions (with their political clique called Siloviki, which is a Russian word for any and all state-run organizations bearing arms, but it's a buzzword since Putin's rise to power, so no way for it not to be used, even without knowing its meaning!). But a couple small paragraphs on actual intelligence work. And but of course, Spetznaz used as a name for specific spec-ops group run by the GRU.

On to crunch (which is mixed IC and OOC, despite what's said above; describing an item IC and then giving an OOC stat line is not separating the two).
The disguise rules for equipment are a nice idea, but the even example provided includes the necessity to tell a pen's Device rating. And, but of course, it's never cross-checked with Arsenal - things like SA Puzzler should hardly work with the rules suggested. Same for drone case rules - minidrones, which are said to be the size of a large insect to the size of a mouse in Arsenal, are suggested to be hidden in pen- or key-shaped cases; small drones, which are commlink or toaster to large dog in size, are said to be possible to hide in a commlink- or shoe-shaped case (or a hidden pocket).

Commlink accessories are cool, as well. Although the section leaves you wondering - why is there nothing as handy as Nanite Slicers in Augmentation, and where can I get a whole vat of these Nanite Disassemblers 2.0? Does the Gyroscopic Winch mod come "w/ 50m of high-tensile microwire", as listed in the stats, or without any, as said in the description? Is the "Small Explosive Device" the same as "Self-destruct, Area" mod from Unwired, and if yes, why list it twice, if no, what's the difference?

Same goes for Intelligence Gear. Assembler assembles documents "regardless of the style of shredder used"? Good ultra-secure shredders turn paper into a pulp. There are shredders with a tiny fireplace inside. How does the assembler work, is it magitech, after all? Does it have magnets inside, perchance? Does Card Skimmer record first ten swipes or first ten cards? Is CarnivoreGold your universal lingvosoft to make all lingvosofts obscolete, after all? How is MonaLisa different from Facial Recognition from Arsenal, and why are the rules different? What determines the UM material rating when it's shaped neither as a hood nor as a body bag?

Surveillance equipment is the best rules section, as for me. Mage Sight Eye Drops pretty much solves the problem with astral security for infiltrators I've been so sore about in a recent thread. Good job!
The drone section is weird, though. Olfactory sensors with a range of four kilometers? And how is Bloodhound Olfactory Sensor different from the usual Olfactory Sensors?

At last, the new magic stuff. What the hell does "anywhere the caster can telepathically communicate" mean for Synesthesia? Can he "telepathically communicate" through wards, for example? How does Spell Masking metamagic interact with Extended Masking, which allows you to mask sustained spells, as well, afaik? Why does Master of 1000 Faces limit your weight at 50 kg minimum, is it only available for human males?

The crunch all in all leaves positive impression - a lot of good ideas there, - but it could've used a competent editor.
Method
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 22 2011, 06:41 AM) *
On to crunch (which is mixed IC and OOC, despite what's said above; describing an item IC and then giving an OOC stat line is not separating the two).
This isn't exactly accurate. Yes there is OoC text imbedded in the IC text, but the OoC/crunch stuff is in big black boxes. While I'm sure not everyone will like this format, you can clearly tell which is which.

The disguise rules for equipment are a nice idea, but the even example provided includes the necessity to tell a pen's Device rating. And, but of course, it's never cross-checked with Arsenal, things like SA Puzzler should hardly work with the rules suggested. Same for drone case rules - minidrones, which are said to be the size of a large insect to the size of a mouse in Arsenal, are suggested to be hidden in pen- or key-shaped cases; small drones, which are commlink or toaster to large dog in size, are said to be possible to hide in a commlink- or shoe-shaped case (or a hidden pocket)

The device rating limitation only applies to adding Secondary Functionality. And why is this a problem? Its not saying that you need to give every pen a device rating every time a character goes to write something. Just that if you want to build a laser torch into a given pen, you need to consider that pen's device rating (which should be 1 or 2 at most). Seems pretty reasonable to me, and limits the amount of functions you can build into a device without adding a new mechanic (device ratings being well established in cannon, which states that just about everything has one).

And there is mention of Arsenal's disguise rules in the very first paragraph of the section, with page reference even.

The Puzzler is manufactured from start to finish to break down into disguised components. It hardly applies to a discussion of rules for modifying existing gear to be broken down or disguised. Its rules don't even work the same way- requiring a Logic + Armor test implies that the observer needs to be somewhat skilled to even realize what they are looking at. Thats not the same as realizing that a lighter has a microphone built into it, or that a bunch of undisguised pieces can be assembled into a gun.

Drone Cases: If you ask me a pen is about the size of a large insect and disguising a drone the size of a commlink as a commlink seems pretty reasonable. It seems a bit nit-picky to argue that items that are only described in vague size ranges can't be disguised as other items that are only described in vague size ranges. Obviously there has to be some level of common sense and GM logic applied here.

Commlink accessories are cool, as well. Although the section leaves you wondering - why is there nothing as handy as Nanite Slicers in Augmentation, and where can I get a whole vat of these Nanite Disassemblers 2.0? Does the Gyroscopic Winch mod come "w/ 50m of high-tensile microwire", as listed in the stats, or without any, as said in the description? Is the "Small Explosive Device" the same as "Self-destruct, Area" mod from Unwired, and if yes, why list it twice, if no, what's the difference?

Nanites:Seems like the rules as written can easily be adapted to any other nanite. devil.gif

Wench: This is a little confusing. As I read it, the wire is included in the price of the mod, but cannot be housed inside the modified commlink. You have to conceal it elsewhere on your person and thread it into the commlink when you intend to use it.

Explosive: This is a good question. As far as I can tell there isn't a lot of difference except that the Spy Games mod packs a much smaller punch. And of course the assumption is that the user plans to use the commlink as a grenade at some point in the mission, whereas the mod in Unwired assumes that the commlink will only be detonated if the shit hits the fan. donno.

Same goes for Intelligence Gear. Assembler assembles documents "regardless of the style of shredder used"? Good ultra-secure shredders turn paper into a pulp. There are shredders with a tiny fireplace inside. How does the assembler work, is it magitech, after all? Does it have magnets inside, perchance? Does Card Skimmer record first ten swipes or first ten cards? Is CarnivoreGold your universal lingvosoft to make all lingvosofts obscolete, after all? How is MonaLisa different from Facial Recognition from Arsenal, and why are the rules different? What determines the UM material rating when it's shaped neither as a hood nor as a body bag?

Assembler: I think its implicit that you actually have to have shreds to reassemble. Not sure what magnets would contribute?

Card Skimmer: Rules say first ten swipes.

CarnivoreGold: Linguasofts allow the user to speak an unknown language in realtime. CarnivoreGold is only used to translate after the fact. Trying to use it in place of a linguasoft would be like 3 people sitting and having a conversation where 2 are speaking fluently and one is using Babblefish to try to follow along.

Monalisa: Another good question. I think both CarnivoreGold and Monalisa were initially conceptualized as specialized Browse programs used for Data Search tests specific to their types. That didn't seem to translate well to the final product, tho.

UM: The rating is whatever you want to pay for. The hood and body bag are apparently pre-manufactured products, which have a rating of one. You could purchase rating 6 material and make a rating 6 hood, if you wanted to.

Olfactory sensors with a range of four kilometers? And how is Bloodhound Olfactory Sensor different from the usual Olfactory Sensors?
A bear can smell a carcass up to 20 miles away if its upwind. Although there are no ranges listed, I think the Olfactory Sensor/Olfactory Booster are meant to be short ranged and used in the immediate vicinity of the user. The Bloodhound System is long ranged, directional and intended for use with the BioTags listed on the previous page. Interesting to note the Std. Upgrades for the drone lists "Olfactory Booster" which is the cyberware system, and clearly a mistake.

What the hell does "anywhere the caster can telepathically communicate" mean for Synesthesia? Can he "telepathically communicate" through wards, for example? How does Spell Masking metamagic interact with Extended Masking, which allows you to mask sustained spells, as well, afaik? Why does Master of 1000 Faces limit your weight at 50 kg minimum, is it only available for human males?

Synesthesia: It means not on the metaplanes, as stated in the text. I would say the basic rules for Ward apply (i.e.- the threshold is increased by 1 for every 3 force the ward possesses).

Spell Masking: Another good question. Lots of overlap there. The advantage seems to be that Spell Masking only works for spells and does not require Masking as a prerequisite. Its also weaker than Extended Masking, since you don't add your Intuition. Overall, not a great ability.

Master of 1000 Faces: 50 kg would be a very skinny human male. But otherwise you are right, the limits don't seem to account for a female, dwarf or other adept with smaller body type using this power.
Sengir
OK guys, how about a little game to pass some time?

Here's how it goes: You open one of the equipment sidebars (well, full-page sidebars), pick an item and then time yourself while trying to figure out what the hell it actually does. (using a search function is cheating of course)
Red Hands? OK, it has similar effects to a light allergy...but what does it actually do?
T-Ray? What the hell is a T-Ray? It has a price and an availability, but that list mentioning it does not even have a heading which would give an indication of what it does. OK, the list below that mentions "visibility modifiers", so it probably has something to do with vision...

If I'm looking for equipment, I want to find the rules FAST. I don't want to read a few pages of text until finding the sentence this stuff is described. If you want to continue this weird mish-mash of fluff and crunch, then PLEASE at least highlight the names of new equipment in the fluff text, so one can figure out what it does.
Also, the tables. The core books used to have really nicely laid out tables, clear to read and without annoying vertical bars. Now all we get is a bunch of numbers, in front of a monochrome background. Randomly intermixed with rules text. Half of it, as mentioned above the other half is hidden somewhere in the fluff. And the "collected tables" are nothing but an exact C&P of the sidebars.

@Method:
Although there are no ranges listed, I think the Olfactory Sensor/Olfactory Booster are meant to be short ranged and used in the immediate vicinity of the user.

A sensor's range is determined by its rating, it equals the broadcast range of a device with that Signal rating wink.gif

There really is some stuff which is but a repetition of older gear. For example the fingerprint implant thingie, unless I missed something it does exactly the Dynamic Handprints from Augmentation.
Method
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 22 2011, 06:01 PM) *
A sensor's range is determined by its rating, it equals the broadcast range of a device with that Signal rating wink.gif
Oh yeah... damn those screwy Sensor rules. embarrassed.gif But in that case the rating 5 Bloodhound system that comes standard on the drone is compliant with the established rules.

Edit: And btw I agree that this format leaves something to be desired. As I said above, I'm sure that many will not like it, for exactly the reasons you have stated. Granted its not the first example of something where you need to read the fluff to figure out what the hell it does, but in the case of this book you have dig through fluff for most items.
Fatum
QUOTE (Method @ May 23 2011, 01:26 AM) *
This isn't exactly accurate. Yes there is OoC text imbedded in the IC text, but the OoC/crunch stuff is in big black boxes. While I'm sure not everyone will like this format, you can clearly tell which is which.
The problem is that the OOC boxes do not provide actual info on the things statted - just as Sengir is pointing out.

The device rating limitation only applies to adding Secondary Functionality. And why is this a problem? Its not saying that you need to give every pen a device rating every time a character goes to write something. Just that if you want to build a laser torch into a given pen, you need to consider that pen's device rating (which should be 1 or 2 at most). Seems pretty reasonable to me, and limits the amount of functions you can build into a device without adding a new mechanic (device ratings being well established in cannon, which states that just about everything has one).
Why exactly should we be bothered with determining what is a pen's, or a comb's, or a simple radio system's from 1956 Device Rating is? How is it in any way related to its size, which should logically determine what can fit and what can't?

And there is mention of Arsenal's disguise rules in the very first paragraph of the section, with page reference even.
Oh, nice to know they were aware of its existence!

The Puzzler is manufactured from start to finish to break down into disguised components. It hardly applies to a discussion of rules for modifying existing gear to be broken down or disguised. Its rules don't even work the same way- requiring a Logic + Armor test implies that the observer needs to be somewhat skilled to even realize what they are looking at. Thats not the same as realizing that a lighter has a microphone built into it, or that a bunch of undisguised pieces can be assembled into a gun.
And that's precisely the problem - different rules for the same situation. You can replicate Puzzler (or, so to say, build Puzzler-like equipment) - but the result will not work more often than it will. You can build a gun to replicate Puzzler with Arsenal mod rules, and it will work just fine.

Drone Cases: If you ask me a pen is about the size of a large insect and disguising a drone the size of a commlink as a commlink seems pretty reasonable. It seems a bit nit-picky to argue that items that are only described in vague size ranges can't be disguised as other items that are only described in vague size ranges. Obviously there has to be some level of common sense and GM logic applied here.
The drone case is a "combination of drone rack and hidden compartment". You're not masking a commlink-sized drone to look like a commlink, you're putting it into a commlink-sized container.
The drone racks are pretty strictly described. As are drone sizes. But now it's written explicitly in the rules that you can put a small drone (like, say, a Transys Steed) into your shoe - and if the rules do not work as written and require GM fiat more often than not, those are bad rules. After all, if there's no way around that, adding "but use GM discretion" hasn't killed anyone.

Nanites:Seems like the rules as written can easily be adapted to any other nanite. devil.gif
Sure, it's just that their performance seemed kinda astounding compared to what Augmentation has to offer.

Wench: This is a little confusing. As I read it, the wire is included in the price of the mod, but cannot be housed inside the modified commlink. You have to conceal it elsewhere on your person and thread it into the commlink when you intend to use it.
And why precisely should we be guessing that and houseruling instead of getting rules that work right away? Wasn't there an editor among the staff?

Explosive: This is a good question. As far as I can tell there isn't a lot of difference except that the Spy Games mod packs a much smaller punch. And of course the assumption is that the user plans to use the commlink as a grenade at some point in the mission, whereas the mod in Unwired assumes that the commlink will only be detonated if the shit hits the fan. donno.
Well, the self-destruct can be remotely initiated, so frankly, I fail to see the major difference in function.
Fatum
Assembler: I think its implicit that you actually have to have shreds to reassemble. Not sure what magnets would contribute?
Magnets work because of magic, bro. Do you believe in miracles? Cause a miracle is the only way for it to assemble the documents put through any shredder.

Card Skimmer: Rules say first ten swipes.
Sure, right after they say "it records the first ten cards".

CarnivoreGold: Linguasofts allow the user to speak an unknown language in realtime. CarnivoreGold is only used to translate after the fact. Trying to use it in place of a linguasoft would be like 3 people sitting and having a conversation where 2 are speaking fluently and one is using Babblefish to try to follow along.
Well, sure it's not a perfect way. But a hacker in VR can have 5 IPs, so for two people talking at 1 IP per turn providing a translation with a barely noticeable lag does not seem to contradict the rules - at least, as long as nothing's said about the time required to translate each message there. You can use delaying your initiative to make the translations more or less effectively instant.

Monalisa: Another good question. I think both CarnivoreGold and Monalisa were initially conceptualized as specialized Browse programs used for Data Search tests specific to their types. That didn't seem to translate well to the final product, tho.
Right, I just didn't see anything making it any different from that piece of sensor software.

UM: The rating is whatever you want to pay for. The hood and body bag are apparently pre-manufactured products, which have a rating of one. You could purchase rating 6 material and make a rating 6 hood, if you wanted to.
My bad. Didn't spot that bit about Rating in the price tag - saw it's not there for availability (why is it F, btw?), and jumped to conclusion. As I said, my bad.

A bear can smell a carcass up to 20 miles away if its upwind. Although there are no ranges listed, I think the Olfactory Sensor/Olfactory Booster are meant to be short ranged and used in the immediate vicinity of the user. The Bloodhound System is long ranged, directional and intended for use with the BioTags listed on the previous page. Interesting to note the Std. Upgrades for the drone lists "Olfactory Booster" which is the cyberware system, and clearly a mistake.
The descriptions actually differ only in that the Bloodhound thing can be used for tracking, far as I remember. But who said a simple Olfactory Booster/Sensor can't?

Synesthesia: It means not on the metaplanes, as stated in the text. I would say the basic rules for Ward apply (i.e.- the threshold is increased by 1 for every 3 force the ward possesses).
"Not on the metaplanes" means "not on the metaplanes". "Anywhere the caster can telepathically communicate" might mean anything - for example, a reference to a specific bit of rules I don't remember (not too keen on magic stuff), or whatever else. Why should we be guessing and houseruling that instead of getting rules that work?

Spell Masking: Another good question. Lots of overlap there. The advantage seems to be that Spell Masking only works for spells and does not require Masking as a prerequisite. Its also weaker than Extended Masking, since you don't add your Intuition. Overall, not a great ability.
Certainly seems so, but it could at least have been pointed out.
Method
Well I guess we have different definitions of "rules that work".

Why exactly should we be bothered with determining what is a pen's, or a comb's, or a simple radio system's from 1956 Device Rating is? How is it in any way related to its size, which should logically determine what can fit and what can't?
Because then we either need a book of tables that describe the sizes of everything a runner could possibly own or use, a new rule mechanic for determining size, or we leave it up to the GM (which by your definition = bad rule).

Puzzler: Maybe you hadn't noticed but there are dozens of firearms and vehicles that don't adhere to their respective modification rules. Your argument is that the Failure Pool would mean that the Puzzler would never work? I would argue that a weapon designed and manufactured for the explicit purpose of being disassembled into disguised parts shouldn't have a Failure Pool because *thats what it was designed and manufactured to do*. The point of the Failure Pool is that modifying ordinary items to conceal things with non-standard (and sometimes vastly different) functions should make them less reliable.

Drone Cases: so is the problem that a small drone should fit in a shoe, or that the Steed is classified as "small". If you ask me the retardedness stems from the latter, which is an existing problem in the rules.

Magnets work because of magic, bro. Do you believe in miracles? Cause a miracle is the only way for it to assemble the documents put through any shredder.
Well in that case intelligence services like the CIA and FBI have been working magic for years. In fact for $90 a month you can work the magic too. So are you saying that with SR computing power its impossible to apply technology that exists today?

"Not on the metaplanes" means "not on the metaplanes". "Anywhere the caster can telepathically communicate" might mean anything...
The "anywhere the caster can telepathically communicate" line is there to present the idea that "remote observation of metaplanes is still impossible". You are reading way more into it.

Which is ironic really. The whole thrust of your posts seems to be that CGL is expected to provide rules that require no interpretation. This isn't a new argument at all. People around here have gone rounds about how SR4 is too dependent on "GM-fiat" (a term I detest, btw). But if you ask me its stuff like this that makes a GM (or some other means of rule interpretation) necessary. No rule system will ever be complete enough to cover everything. At any rate its not a "problem" specific to this book by any means.
Prime Mover
Any update on the fractured free spirits of the city of Denver?
Fatum
QUOTE (Method @ May 23 2011, 06:01 AM) *
Because then we either need a book of tables that describe the sizes of everything a runner could possibly own or use, a new rule mechanic for determining size, or we leave it up to the GM (which by your definition = bad rule).
Just saying: "Okay, you're the GM, use your judgment" works as well as providing explicit rules for minor things like that. It's trying to write up a rule and dropping it half-way, so that it requires GM judgment more often than not, is what makes a bad rule.

Puzzler: Maybe you hadn't noticed but there are dozens of firearms and vehicles that don't adhere to their respective modification rules. Your argument is that the Failure Pool would mean that the Puzzler would never work? I would argue that a weapon designed and manufactured for the explicit purpose of being disassembled into disguised parts shouldn't have a Failure Pool because *thats what it was designed and manufactured to do*. The point of the Failure Pool is that modifying ordinary items to conceal things with non-standard (and sometimes vastly different) functions should make them less reliable.
So, are you saying that the intelligence agencies of the world use jury-rigged items, or what? Just on a side note: those same intelligence agencies have whole factories and research tanks working for them exquisitely.

Drone Cases: so is the problem that a small drone should fit in a shoe, or that the Steed is classified as "small". If you ask me the retardedness stems from the latter, which is an existing problem in the rules.
The problem is that any small drone should fit in a shoe by RAW. I used the Steed as the most outrageous example, but Arsenal is full of small-sized drones which are extremely hard to imagine cramped in a shoe. Actually, that's why the drone size description says "up to the size of a large dog" - and that ruling, unlike the new one, makes sense.

Well in that case intelligence services like the CIA and FBI have been working magic for years. In fact for $90 a month you can work the magic too. So are you saying that with SR computing power its impossible to apply technology that exists today?
I reiterate my point: even now there are shredders that burn the high-secret documentation or turn it into a paper pulp. Those are still shredders. Yes, I doubt that even with SR tech it's possible to restore info from these.

The "anywhere the caster can telepathically communicate" line is there to present the idea that "remote observation of metaplanes is still impossible". You are reading way more into it.
Except, as you might notice, in this thread alone we've seen a different interpretation. Just because whether a caster can telepathically communicate with every point on physical is a question without an obvious answer (at least for me, YMMV). And allowing for different interpretations makes a bad rule.

Which is ironic really. The whole thrust of your posts seems to be that CGL is expected to provide rules that require no interpretation. This isn't a new argument at all. People around here have gone rounds about how SR4 is too dependent on "GM-fiat" (a term I detest, btw). But if you ask me its stuff like this that makes a GM (or some other means of rule interpretation) necessary. No rule system will ever be complete enough to cover everything. At any rate its not a "problem" specific to this book by any means.
I'm just pointing out the parts of the rules that made me raise eyebrows. Some of those are just weird wordings and my nitpicking. Some are glaring editor mistakes, which can lead to hours of rules lawyering or make existing working rules subsystems obsolete. Knowing all can help the reader make an informed decision whether they want the book or not, don't you think? :ь

As for my criteria of good rules, those are pretty simple. Good rules
1) describe the situations the gaming system aims to simulate fully (a) and believably (b), in a consistent © and non-controversial (d) manner
2) allow for only a single interpretation
3) are not overly complex both in wording (a) and execution (b).
Frankly, it's a simple set of things I expect from a rule system, and I believe it's easy to see where my hopes do not come true for the book in question.

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ May 23 2011, 06:27 AM) *
Any update on the fractured free spirits of the city of Denver?
Sorry, didn't read the fluff, too scared lately.
Method
Knowing all can help the reader make an informed decision whether they want the book or not, don't you think?
Absolutely. If there are other examples, please share! smile.gif

So, are you saying that the intelligence agencies of the world use jury-rigged items, or what? Just on a side note: those same intelligence agencies have whole factories and research tanks working for them exquisitely.
Which produce things like the Puzzler. Runners don't often have such resources. wink.gif

I reiterate my point: even now there are shredders that burn the high-secret documentation or turn it into a paper pulp. Those are still shredders. Yes, I doubt that even with SR tech it's possible to restore info from these.
I agree. As I stated, if there are no shreddings left, such a system would clearly not work.

Just saying: "Okay, you're the GM, use your judgment" works as well as providing explicit rules for minor things like that. It's trying to write up a rule and dropping it half-way, so that it requires GM judgment more often than not, is what makes a bad rule.
This is drifting off topic, but to clarify, I think that groups (GMs *and* players) should discuss vague rules and come to a consensus on how they will apply them. But I also think that in-game the GM needs the authority to say "this is how we'll do it now and we will talk about it more later". This is not to say that a given player at the table might have a better grasp of the rules. The GM is more-often-than-not the best person to make the call because the player is often unaware of all the factors at play. This is why I hate the term "GM-fiat"- because if you sit at a GM's table there is a tacit agreement that you will accept his ruling. "Rules-lawyering" has no place at the table.

Just out of curiosity, is there any system that meets your criteria?
Megu
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 22 2011, 05:01 PM) *
T-Ray? What the hell is a T-Ray? It has a price and an availability, but that list mentioning it does not even have a heading which would give an indication of what it does.

You carry food on it?
Sengir
QUOTE (Method @ May 22 2011, 11:27 PM) *
Oh yeah... damn those screwy Sensor rules. embarrassed.gif

Yeah, using these ranges for sensors is a bit weird...but certainly easier than giving each sensor individual ranges

Granted its not the first example of something where you need to read the fluff to figure out what the hell it does, but in the case of this book you have dig through fluff for most items.

Having to read the descriptions would indeed be nothing new, that's what most gear and cyber requires. The difference is that in Augmentation or Arsenal I can pick item X from a table, then look for the paragraph with the bold heading "item X" (in order between "item W" and "item Y"), and find what I was looking for. Whereas in the new books, the descriptions are hidden somewhere in two pages of continuous text, without any special markup to designate "description for item X starts here".
In an electronic product that's annoying, but ctrl+F helps. In a print product, it's unacceptable - would anyone buy an encyclopedia without keywords?

Granted, the old books also require some page flipping, because the tables for half of the gear are not on the same spread as the description. But only SOME because there are clear and lexicographically ordered headings.

PS: And I agree with your interpretation of the winch - to be honest, it seems rather clear to me.
Grinder
The art on pg. 22 sucks big time; looks very very amateur-ish, especially compared to those on pg. 90, pg. pg. 104, and pg. 136.
And I get to love the artis who created the illustration on pg. 121.
Fatum
QUOTE (Method @ May 23 2011, 07:04 AM) *
Absolutely. If there are other examples, please share! smile.gif
As soon as I get my book.

Which produce things like the Puzzler. Runners don't often have such resources. wink.gif
And the rules for that would be...

This is drifting off topic, but to clarify, I think that groups (GMs *and* players) should discuss vague rules and come to a consensus on how they will apply them. But I also think that in-game the GM needs the authority to say "this is how we'll do it now and we will talk about it more later". This is not to say that a given player at the table might have a better grasp of the rules. The GM is more-often-than-not the best person to make the call because the player is often unaware of all the factors at play. This is why I hate the term "GM-fiat"- because if you sit at a GM's table there is a tacit agreement that you will accept his ruling. "Rules-lawyering" has no place at the table.
GM Fiat is when you sit at a GM's table and then a Fiat comes from behind and runs you over.
Now, it all seriousness, I have absolutely nothing against specific interpretations of the rules, and houseruling, as well, and I do both excessively. I just say that the books should not be forcing you that way.

Just out of curiosity, is there any system that meets your criteria?
Paranoia, for example.
Hida Tsuzua
I have several questions about the adept power Demara. First off, why the trideo requirement? Why can't an adept watch someone perform the action in person? Why do have to watch a bunch of youtube videos to use your magical powers? I agree that trideo should count for this power, but it seems odd to be required.

Secondly by restricted skills, does it refer to stuff like conjuring, sorcery, and compiling which can only be used by certain characters? I assume the answer is yes since that's the reading that makes the most sense by fluff and context. However those skills are never refereed to as restricted skills and I want to make sure it's not actually about default:no skills or something weirder. On a related note, does that mean restricted skills the character cannot have or all skills that are restricted? If I'm a mystic adept with Demara, can I "learn" Conjuring this way? If I have Incompetent: Pistols, can I use it for the pistols skill?

While this is all under "Ask your GM", I'll like to know more about the writer's intentions as well as others opinions.
Method
Can't comment on the authors intent, but I'd imagine that the trideo requirement is because the adept has to see the skill used repeatedly in order to absorb it. I would say if you are watching someone use a skill that entails repetitive motions (shadow basket weaving perhaps?) that would meet the requirement.

But watching somebody shoot a pistol once and then thinking about it for an hour doesn't cut it.
hermit
So what about spending a day at the shooting range? Where lots of people fire firearms?

Edit: To pick up my Review briefly, an observation: I can read this pdf on my netbook. This was flat out impossible with Attitude, which would just freeze my reader there. So, this PDF works a lot better as a file than previous releases (War was bumpy on my netbook, too). It seems the pdf person is finally getting the hang of producing usable PDFs. Gratz.
Nebular
I like what I've seen in the book so far, especially since my game is taking place in Denver. I can't say I'm a fan of the format in which items are listed now on those black pages. I keep thinking they're just fluff text so I skip over them, instead trying to find the tables that the older books used to show item costs and the like.
Hida Tsuzua
QUOTE (hermit @ May 24 2011, 08:57 AM) *
So what about spending a day at the shooting range? Where lots of people fire firearms?

Edit: To pick up my Review briefly, an observation: I can read this pdf on my netbook. This was flat out impossible with Attitude, which would just freeze my reader there. So, this PDF works a lot better as a file than previous releases (War was bumpy on my netbook, too). It seems the pdf person is finally getting the hang of producing usable PDFs. Gratz.

What pdf program do you use? If it's Adobe Reader, I advise foxit reader. I've found it be the better program (tabbed pdfs!) and far less buggy. I never noticed any problems with Attitude or War. I've had issues with War on my smartphone, but that's not exactly surprising.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Nebular @ May 24 2011, 06:28 PM) *
I can't say I'm a fan of the format in which items are listed now on those black pages. I keep thinking they're just fluff text so I skip over them, instead trying to find the tables that the older books used to show item costs and the like.

I would say that is largely a issue of habit, as the change in "interface" have been a bit sudden.
Mäx
QUOTE (Nebular @ May 24 2011, 07:28 PM) *
I can't say I'm a fan of the format in which items are listed now on those black pages. I keep thinking they're just fluff text so I skip over them, instead trying to find the tables that the older books used to show item costs and the like.

Heh i on the other hand love this new format and hope they use it in all the upcoming books.
But hopefully in a way closer to Attitude then Spy Games, as it's much easier to find the relevant fluff texts of the items in any given sidebox in Attitude.
Sengir
QUOTE (Mäx @ May 24 2011, 05:43 PM) *
it's much easier to find the relevant fluff texts of the items in any given sidebox in Attitude.

...an estimated 30% of the time. This time they made it consistent, by removing these remaining 30%.
Mäx
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 24 2011, 09:08 PM) *
...an estimated 30% of the time. This time they made it consistent, by removing these remaining 30%.

I can find pretty much every single(a whole lot more then 30%) items fluff description in a very short time in Attitude, but really cant do the same with Spy Games.
KarmaInferno
I have to agree that finding the crunch is kinda frustrating in Spy Games. It's scattered throughout the fluff and even when contained in the black sidebars none of the gear gets much text. A line or two and a stat block.

I'd much prefer all the crunch in a separate section for ease of reference.

I will say though - the snot drone is simultaneously disturbing and fascinating.

-k
Slithery D
QUOTE (Method @ May 22 2011, 04:26 PM) *

I interpret Spell Masking as applying to all spells you cast, including those cast on others; Extended Masking only effects spells you cast on yourself. So with Spell Masking you can put a Mask spell on a teammate that might not be spotted by astral viewers. Still not great and I'd probably tweak it, but there's at least a rationale.
hermit
I will say though - the snot drone is simultaneously disturbing and fascinating.

After the centipede, yet another Deus drone that was cut from Brainscan makes it's way into Canon.
Sengir
QUOTE (Mäx @ May 24 2011, 07:40 PM) *
I can find pretty much every single(a whole lot more then 30%) items fluff description in a very short time in Attitude, but really cant do the same with Spy Games.

I found the clothing chapter to be extremely lacking in this regard...and of course the author who thought (f) denoted fire damage, which tells quite a bit about how often that person has played wink.gif

PS: Is there anything publicly available about cut content from Brainscan?
hermit
Demonseed Elite used to have them up on a page.
Critias
QUOTE (hermit @ May 20 2011, 03:38 AM) *
On with my possibly even complete this time review.

So. Thorn is the Brit/Tír Michael Westin of Shadowrun? He sure sounds the part in Tradecraft. Thorne's Top Tricks remind me of the voiceovers in Burn Notice - tone, topics covered, their relative randomness (but at least vague coherence with the surrounding narrative). Not that that's a bad thing for me, I like that show, I even like Westin's somewhat smug tips and tricks (actually, I compiled some 20 out of a long list I found on a web site for newbie players as a quick 101 on what I think a runner should know). Spy Games' Tradecraft could work the same way, which is, I guess, what the chapter aims at. Also, some parts remind me of Spy Games (the movie), like the almost literal part about lies (keep it simple, bla bla). Hey, at least someone did some research here.

Possible Nitpick: CIA and Langley are a CAS affair in SR, right (being in Virginia)? So why compare them to Yale (which is UCAS in SR) and speak of "this country" as though there was an actual USA in SR?

Then, agencies. Here's where we'll see whether canon is getting the War treatment or is handled as respectful as it ought to. First is the UGB. standard russian agency stuff, but reasonably well done. MI5/MI6 next. Can't really remember those form London, but IIRC they were in SoE. Argus and Aegis Cognito then (given the existence of Jellyfish Intel, I'll never say anything about theior dorky names again), Information Secretariat, the CIA and DIA and all the other UCAs and CAS agencies (well, some of them, going by the current USA and it's 25-odd agencies). Short, fast facts in Thorn's anecdotal Westin way of telling things. Reads nice enough. I'd almost say this book is not overall going to stink, but then again I said that about Attitude too. And it did in the end. So, reserving my judgement for now.

A treatise on the tech curve, Technos and the value of not relying on a Matrix that is fundamentally impossible to secure (and emotitoys; not sure if I am angry about their mention or amused at their dismissal) later, we get to the NPC section. Okay, Hardy seems madly in love with teh idea of putting NPCs into his books. The upside: clear differentiation between crunch and fluff, even if they're on the same page (whcih, mostly, they are not). It's not quite ideal but I can't think of any better way to possibly do it, hence I'll save you smugness here and just say it's probably best way to handle this. Unless you want to ban the crunch into the back of the book entirely, that is. The article ended a bit abruptly, with the page space wasted at the end of the 'hotspots's ection, surely a smug good-bye from Thorne would have been possible?

Next stop: counterintelligence, the spy scene seen from the other side of the equasion.

Managed to miss a few updates of this thread, and just wanted to thank Hermit for taking the time to tackle this chapter and share his thoughts on it. I had a blast writing it, and I'm glad folks seem to be enjoying it. No one's commented on any of the little easter eggs hiding here and there, but it's only been out about a week.
hermit
Okay, on with the review. Equipment, was it. Overall impression: As in Attitude, with some rulesslightly more wonky. Which is not bad because equipment was the best chapter in Attitude. Lotsof stuff here I'll like to use, some old things raise their heads again (Loved that blob drone when I ran Brainscan and found it really missing from the book; damnit though I cannot find the page to link it to you anymore frown.gif ).

So. We start off with general stuff on camouflage we know (and I loved) from the SOTA books, ported into SR4. This is quite nice. The rules work a bit odd, as mentioned by others, and could have used someone familiar with the core rules books to look them over and straighten them out. But they still seem to work more or less, just using unnecessary deviant rules from similar items elsewhere. I like that sidebar with the fake SIN's contents. CCC got stats in this thread; at least that. Commlink Accessories seem a bit futile to me, but if you want to do everything with your commlink now, including decapitating people and blow hit up, you'll love it (I prefer internal links for the business work and secondary external links for private things and PAN, maintianing a business and a private PAN on my charactetrs). Commlink mods are not forme, hence, but YMMV. Some of the other stuff seems really redundant, but hey, Ican still use them for brand names of high-class image recognition software. Gadgets are fun for the most part. New Spells are interesting and, o far, I haven't found a terrifyingly broken thing like Slow. Inculate is, as mentioned before, the final piece for my Space Marine project. Other than that, some metamagics seem redndant, as others have said.

One thing I miss is the ELINT stuff from SOTA. what happened to sattelite coverage, drones, and stuff like this? Granted, Spy Games goes farmore Bond than Bauer, but it should've been accounted for. Not that the Gadgets aren't nice, which they are. Overall, this chapter leaves a positive impression, as well as the impression that it could have been a lot better if there had been tighter editing by someone who knows the rules.

Then, it continues with something completly unrelated: Conspiracy theories and bizarreness. In ... a chapter on equipment. In continuing text, with nothing at all indicating a complete change of topic. Like, what? Was there no fitting short story and art so you could make it's own chapter of these 1,5 pages? Which actually are 1,75 pages, making this longer than extraplanar intelligence. The mind boggles.

Contents are: The Palantir - Quantum Communications. Well, I guess they're useful for that extreme fringe of Deep Space Shadowrun, so you don't have 10minute delays in communication (actually, we're more talking about hours with blackouts due to albedo, but meh). Number stations are the Machine God Talking To US ...? Bizarre. But that is the intent of that section, I guess. Lonsestar can search commlinks? Boo-fucking-hoo, really. Like they couldn't get away with this before. Nerfing the Resonance Realms has long been overdue to make data runs without a technomunchkin viable again, so good stuff. And finally, Skulls&Bones, who are behind everything in the world because the world apparently starts at the Californian West Coast and ends at the Eastern Seaboard. America focus much, here? Anyhows, how does the New Revolution factor in this, then? Alamos 20K and the American agencies? Mr Knight? Daviar? McBain? Colloton? Coleman (Daniel, not Loren)? Look, if you want to build up an America-centric world conspiracy, at least tie up all the weirdness in America. There is plenty of it, after all.

The placement of "The Classified Section" is absolutly bizarre. It could just have been put together with extraplanar intelligence into a section called "The X Files", where it would have been a lot more appropriate. But what's it doing in equipment? The crunch section? It's not really badly written, though falls short of a proper conspiracy theory, but what the hell.

So now. The stuff I was interested in most is done, and I have a fairly positive impression of the book, though it seems a bit rough and could have used some more polishing, it is not a failed potential parade like Atitude, or ... well, let's not even mention War here. Some format decisions are completly out there though.

I'll check on Denver next, but that might take some time.
Mäx
QUOTE (hermit @ May 26 2011, 12:09 PM) *
The placement of "The Classified Section" is absolutly bizarre.

It makes total sense when you remember that the gear section is written by Plan 9, the resident conspiracy nut.
Adarael
QUOTE (Critias @ May 25 2011, 04:58 PM) *
Managed to miss a few updates of this thread, and just wanted to thank Hermit for taking the time to tackle this chapter and share his thoughts on it. I had a blast writing it, and I'm glad folks seem to be enjoying it. No one's commented on any of the little easter eggs hiding here and there, but it's only been out about a week.

That's because I haven't bought it yet. I will, and I will do my best to dig up your easter eggs, sir. That's half the reason I buy new SR books, honestly.

Also, the slew of conspiracy/fringe madness stuff is going to fit perfectly with my new game.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (hermit @ May 25 2011, 10:19 AM) *
Demonseed Elite used to have them up on a page.

Hmm...I think you mean the material cut from Renraku Arcology: Shutdown. Though that didn't have new drones in it, I don't think. There was material written up for shadowland.org by Dave Hyatt (one of the Deus writers) that did have new drones in it. I know I have it somewhere, but I'll have to dig around.
hermit
Then I misremembered, but maybe you linked to it once? Would be very nice if you found it, though.

EDIT: Thanks for the offer and your time, but Crimson_Dude found it!. Thanks for the help.

For reference, the Drone I meant is the Plasm. That and the centipede have been released as drones long after this was cut and compiled.
Bira
QUOTE (Mäx @ May 26 2011, 06:54 AM) *
It makes total sense when you remember that the gear section is written by Plan 9, the resident conspiracy nut.

On the one hand, that's a cool bit of character showcasing... on the other hand, people shouldn't have to be aware of NPC quirks in order to understand the text. At least, not if you want to attract new readers smile.gif.
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ May 27 2011, 10:44 AM) *
Then I misremembered, but maybe you linked to it once? Would be very nice if you found it, though.

EDIT: Thanks for the offer and your time, but Crimson_Dude found it!. Thanks for the help.

For reference, the Drone I meant is the Plasm. That and the centipede have been released as drones long after this was cut and compiled.
Is the link only dead for me?
hermit
Is the link only dead for me?

Well, it works fine for me. Strange. question.gif

On the one hand, that's a cool bit of character showcasing... on the other hand, people shouldn't have to be aware of NPC quirks in order to understand the text. At least, not if you want to attract new readers

The NPC's voice narrating the chapters is the authors' choice. Hence, even if this was to showcase Plan9's randomness, it just is downright bizarre because this book ought to also be useful as a gaming ressource, and not mixing everything randomly like a badly kept blog should go without asking there.

Besides, why does the conspiracy nut narrate all kinds of equipment anyway these days? Fashion? what the hell? Why not give Plan9 the entirety of The X Files, which is extraplanar intelligence and The Classified Files? That would be much more in character for Plan9 than having him talk about fashion and runner equipment. Yeah, that makes him not a well-rounded, deep, intellectual character. Newsflash: That's not what shadowtalkers are all about, and it's certainly something that becomes annoying when it drops pure fluff into a crunch section for no reason at all.

Also, does the artist have the cover image for download anywhere?
JM Hardy
QUOTE (hermit @ May 27 2011, 09:21 AM) *
<snip>

Also, does the artist have the cover image for download anywhere?

It's in the photos section of the Shadowrun Facebook page--the full picture, without the text on it.

Jason H.
hermit
Thanks. That's quite an outstanding cover there, best in a long time (since Companion).
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ May 27 2011, 01:45 PM) *
Thanks. That's quite an outstanding cover there, best in a long time (since Companion).

Forgot about that cover.

I wouldn't mind her being my companion. *Wink-wink, nudge-nudge*
hermit
Ye dirty mind. biggrin.gif

When will we see a follow-up on Debt of non-Blood, btw?
CanRay
Next time I write for "Money" Johnson. He's still hunting for the folks that put the chips out on the street. But that's really, really, REALLY off topic here.

So, Spy Games, anyone go through it with a fine-toothed comb yet? I can't at the moment due to other issues cropping up, but...
Mäx
QUOTE (Bira @ May 27 2011, 03:57 PM) *
on the other hand, people shouldn't have to be aware of NPC quirks in order to understand the text. At least, not if you want to attract new readers smile.gif.

Well the quirkines of this particular poster is pretty clearly mentioned near the beginning of both gear chapters he 's narrating(or go narrating in the case of Attitude.)
CanRay
Um, there's a big (If non-updated) list of who the Shadowtalkers are and their personal quirks available on the website. nyahnyah.gif
hermit
Next time I write for "Money" Johnson. He's still hunting for the folks that put the chips out on the street. But that's really, really, REALLY off topic here.

Well yes, but I have to ask *somewhere*, do I?

A bit more on topic: Glossing over Denver, I found a map. Now, I approve of maps, I really do. We need more maps! But next time, please, use one that doesn't look good only in colour, when printing a b/w book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012