Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legal Vampires
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
sabs
Vampires only have to drain 1 point a month. That's not really that big a deal, most regular people won't even notice it's gone.

And Vampires can't actually spend any of their essence, so eventually 1 essence is all they really need to drain.
Nath
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 27 2011, 04:07 PM) *
And Tamir Grey died, and then there were the 162s and Tamanous, who basically gave metahumanity the finger because Tamir and his merry cannibals were collateral damage in Ares' fighting bugs (and claimed it was totally intentional, disregarding Ares' previous attempt, which included a nuke, something that usually destroys entire cities).
If you ask me, treating Tamanous as only a ghouls group is also whitewashing. At least, ghouls have no other than option than human flesh to survive. Much darker to have people considering organlegging as a profitable business opportunity, rather than a necessity.
hermit
Already responded to that. Which you totally missed, again

Nope, you just tried to wiggle your way out, generally refering to books that cover different topics (like skillsofts that may or may not make workers a thing of the past). Not relevant to the topic of civil rights for new races (metahumans, ghouls, ect). I was inclined to let that pass, but since you insist: quote on that.

Only if one ignores the somewhat antisocial aspect of draining live people of their souls...

And here I thought this aspect was gone since Nachtwache. Fluff over Crunch and all, for the good of the oWoD memorial character. wink.gif

Hmmmm, odd. Just a few lines before you had this to say about those things which are feral monsters but for a few lucky ones:

I mentioned Tamir Grey, and the 162s. Where did I say anything abot whether other ghouls are feral or not? The bit about ghouls usually not being much more than feral critters is from RC 3E and 2E. Of course, ghoultown kind of collected the smart ghouls since you had to apply and register to gain refuge at Carbini, which is hard to manage if you're a fearl, snarling creature who attacks everyone on sight or hides until it is hungry again.

If you ask me, treating Tamanous as only a ghouls group is also whitewashing.

No, never meant to, the upper ranks were Wendigos and/or Nosferati (according to, IIRC, Threats 2). But Ghouls make up by far most of their members.

At least, ghouls have no other than option than human flesh to survive. Much darker to have people considering organlegging as a profitable business opportunity, rather than a necessity.

The reasoning always was they sell the organs and eat the rest. Make money by eating, so to speak. It's not more or less dark than hunting people purely for food.
PoliteMan
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 27 2011, 11:07 PM) *
That's only the lucky few among them. For the rest, it's feral monster. At least, it used to be before SR4. Actually, vampires fit that hat far better. they're less infectious, too. By the (argh) SR4 rules, vamires have a lot easier time to live in a socially tolerable way than ghouls. Sad but true.

I don't think it's all feral monsters. There seems to be 3 classes: feral monsters, ghouls who retained their intelligence but just plain went evil (losing a god portion of their mind will do that to you), and those who retain some of their humanity. Lone ghouls or small communities struggling to normalize themselves works a lot better if the rest are monsters.

As for vampires, well,
There two general ways to portray vampires: One is pure evil, basically a evil spirit/demon in a charming human shell. Nosferatu already do this pretty well, no reason to make this PCs. There's just not a lot to roleplay here.

As for general vampires, there's two problems:
#1 Regular vampires seem Cursed with Awesome, while ghouls are just cursed. There's nothing glamorous about being a ghoul and nobody but a min-maxing street-sam would want to be one, while plenty of people (just look at pop culture) wouldn't mind being a vampire (at least at first). There's an additional problem here: most of the vampiric struggle is internal, while a ghoul's struggle is as obvious as their blind, warped faces. And in an RPG, there's just not going to be that much time to devote to the internal struggle of an NPC who may only last a session or two. Need your players to understand the man/monster dynamic and start roleplaying it? You can spend fifteen seconds describing the ghoul's body or ten minutes listening to the vampire's tragic past.

#2 I won't say vampires are overdone, they're really popular and have been for awhile, but SR seems like a really bad place to do that. The vampiric struggle to maintain his humanity while he must kill to survive seems kinda dumb in a team of runners who regularly assault megacorps and get into shoot-outs with the cops to stay fed. It can be done, and I imagine there are lots of kids who want to play a vampire, which is great, more people playing SR, but you can't just transplant vampires into a cyberpunk dystopia. They need to be fleshed out and right now they're just not.
hermit
I don't think it's all feral monsters. There seems to be 3 classes: feral monsters, ghouls who retained their intelligence but just plain went evil (losing a god portion of their mind will do that to you), and those who retain some of their humanity.

According to the SR3 rules, you have a one in 24 (roughly) chance to emerge from the transformation without significant personality damage, a 1 in 6 chance to become a psycho, and a sure chance to become something feral. I can't find the SR4 rules, but I remember them harsher.
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 27 2011, 05:21 PM) *
Nope, you just tried to wiggle your way out, generally refering to books that cover different topics (like skillsofts that may or may not make workers a thing of the past). Not relevant to the topic of civil rights for new races (metahumans, ghouls, ect). I was inclined to let that pass, but since you insist: quote on that.

So after three pages, you still haven't got the clue that I was not talking about different races? Oh well, have fun with that, as well as with your strawman Twilight characters (which is kinda funny, I don't think any vampire groupie would go the lengths you go to whitewash vampires, just to be able to complain about whitewashed vampires)
hermit
So after three pages, you still haven't got the clue that I was not talking about different races?

I made the mistake to assume you understood the topic. My bad. wink.gif

As for straw man arguments: that is your specialty, not mine.
Sengir
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jul 27 2011, 05:26 PM) *
most of the vampiric struggle is internal, while a ghoul's struggle is as obvious as their blind, warped faces.

Vampires may get some extra Charisma, but they nevertheless are pale, hairless, emaciated (where do you think the -4 to swimming comes from) creatures which shy away from daylight. In a word, bloodsucking nerds biggrin.gif
hermit
Very pretty nerds though. Like Robert Pattinson. Or Justin Bieber.

And where do you get the idea from they're hairless? That's only Goblins and Ghouls. Other infected keep their hair or grow even hairirer!
JanessaVR
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 27 2011, 12:42 PM) *
Very pretty nerds though. Like Robert Pattinson. Or Justin Bieber.

And where do you get the idea from they're hairless? That's only Goblins and Ghouls. Other infected keep their hair or grow even hairirer!

I think he means Nosferatu - they're hairless if I recall correctly.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jul 27 2011, 03:53 PM) *
I think he means Nosferatu - they're hairless if I recall correctly.

That they are.

On the -4 penalty to vampires swimming, it`s not because theyare emaciated, or most infected would get it, especially Goblins. That penalty actually stems from the mythic portrayal of Vampires, which are unable to cross moving bodies of water. Granted, it`s toned down, since they can still cross, but that`s my .02 nuyen.

(Also, another thinnish race, Elves, get a +1 to swimming before they penalties kick in.)
Starmage21
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 27 2011, 01:46 PM) *
Vampires may get some extra Charisma, but they nevertheless are pale, hairless, emaciated (where do you think the -4 to swimming comes from) creatures which shy away from daylight. In a word, bloodsucking nerds biggrin.gif

-4 to swim comes from a drastically reduced buoyancy. Something about their transformation appears to make them more dense, or remove air from their bodies. If it were the latter, It could be both funny and not, considering vampires go dormant when there is a lack of oxygen.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (sabs @ Jul 27 2011, 10:01 AM) *
Vampires only have to drain 1 point a month. That's not really that big a deal, most regular people won't even notice it's gone.

And Vampires can't actually spend any of their essence, so eventually 1 essence is all they really need to drain.

I really suggest reading the Essence Drain power again....
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jul 27 2011, 02:00 PM) *
I really suggest reading the Essence Drain power again....

It is quite enlightening, in fact... smile.gif
Nath
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 27 2011, 07:21 PM) *
No, never meant to, the upper ranks were Wendigos and/or Nosferati (according to, IIRC, Threats 2). But Ghouls make up by far most of their members.
In the stories told in both Underworld Sourcebook and Loose Alliances, ghouls acts a guards (or driver). One post suggests whoever runs Tamanous finds ghouls useful as "dual-natured security and muscle," which is far from covering the full extent of Tamanous activities. Also in Underworld SB, someone asks if a wendigo may be running the show, because of the Black Tamanous legend. By the time of Loose Alliances, this is still around as a rumor, but someone's also saying a group of NAN shamans started the operation.
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 28 2011, 03:46 AM) *

Looking at Runner's Companion, p 81, Vampires get paler and get more pronounced canines (and their breathing becomes shallower) but that's it, they still sound pretty normal. I think you're talking about Nosferatu, who get the Orlock treatment.
hermit
QUOTE (Nath @ Jul 28 2011, 12:11 AM) *
In the stories told in both Underworld Sourcebook and Loose Alliances, ghouls acts a guards (or driver). One post suggests whoever runs Tamanous finds ghouls useful as "dual-natured security and muscle," which is far from covering the full extent of Tamanous activities. Also in Underworld SB, someone asks if a wendigo may be running the show, because of the Black Tamanous legend. By the time of Loose Alliances, this is still around as a rumor, but someone's also saying a group of NAN shamans started the operation.

NAN shamans and Wendigo is not mutually exclusive. I didn't remember the ghouls being only occasionally hired muscle, but the 'men in grey' in their scary chemsuits (that's from Vice I think).
Traul
Why does it have to be some magical mojo? All the street docs I've ever met were dabbling in organ-legging (or as they prefer to cal it, recycling), they just didn't manage to bring it to industrial scale.
Sengir
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 27 2011, 08:13 PM) *
On the -4 penalty to vampires swimming, it`s not because theyare emaciated, or most infected would get it, especially Goblins. That penalty actually stems from the mythic portrayal of Vampires, which are unable to cross moving bodies of water. Granted, it`s toned down, since they can still cross, but that`s my .02 nuyen.

Or maybe it's just been forgotten in the goblin stats...RC hardly is the most error-free book ever. An aversion to running water would be better represented the same way RC suggest to handle holy symbols etc. - a (psychosomatic) allergy.

IMO the -4 swim modifier stems from the fact that "[a]fter a phase of internal transformation and purging" (RC) the newborn bloodsucker has quite simply purged a good part of his body weight. Also, there's the problem of getting enough nutrition besides the Dietary Requirement. Ghouls have the problem of getting raw meat in world which mostly subsides on soy products, but a creature which can only hold down blood has it even harder...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 28 2011, 03:41 AM) *
Also, there's the problem of getting enough nutrition besides the Dietary Requirement. Ghouls have the problem of getting raw meat in world which mostly subsides on soy products, but a creature which can only hold down blood has it even harder...

Except that you can easily factor the cost of the nutritionally required "Meat/Blood" into your lifestyle for a +30% Lifestyle Increase (Oprional Rule for easy bookkeeping). Done and no further worries about nutrition. wobble.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 28 2011, 01:02 PM) *
Except that you can easily factor the cost of the nutritionally required "Meat/Blood" into your lifestyle for a +30% Lifestyle Increase (Oprional Rule for easy bookkeeping). Done and no further worries about nutrition. wobble.gif

As an optional rule, if the GM does not want to bog down the game with things like hunting your dinner.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 28 2011, 06:10 AM) *
As an optional rule, if the GM does not want to bog down the game with things like hunting your dinner.

Indeed... smile.gif
After all, it is not "DinnerRun" it is "Shadowrun". But then, we don't play Infected at our tables, so it is not really that big of a worry for us.
Aku
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 28 2011, 09:21 AM) *
Indeed... smile.gif
After all, it is not "DinnerRun" it is "Shadowrun". But then, we don't play Infected at our tables, so it is not really that big of a worry for us.

Maybe someone should make an infected version of "Foodfight!" heh
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Aku @ Jul 28 2011, 03:25 PM) *
Maybe someone should make an infected version of "Foodfight!" heh

Foodfight4A: The Food fights back!
Ascalaphus
(Disclaimer1: Obviously non-canon ideas. I'm sure some people will hate them, but it's something I've been pondering for a couple of days, and I thought I'd share it.)
(Disclaimer2: I haven't seriously read the rules for Infected PCs. I gather they're peculiar; I don't care.)

Vampires have hired "scientists" to study if vampires can survive indefinitely from synthetic/animal nutrition. The studies suggest they can. The vampires make enough campaign donations and finance enough professorships, to keep this going. Of course the whole thing stinks; just like shadowrunners think Aztechnology stinks, this whole scientific "proof" is as believable as smoking not being bad for you.

In practice, vampires just take some people from the Barrens who won't be missed, and after topping up their Essence, throw the remains in the Soylent Food machine. If a vampire gets caught, the rest of the vampires publicly distance themselves, the sucker goes to trial, and may even get convicted (although vampires tend to have good lawyers). Now and then they intentionally create a spare fledgeling vampire to be sacrificed this way, just to pretend to the public that the State really protects the people from rogue vampires.

The whole thing smacks of hypocrisy; that's intentional. Vampires are pretty rare, wealthy and influential. Their main job in the campaign is to show off that society is hopelessly corrupt, that obviously evil people can get away with it.

And yeah, there are vampire hunter groups. They take down vampires from time to time; that's doable. Of course, the State is obliged to investigate such "murders", although a lot of unhappy investigators drag their feet and secretly sympathize with the vampire hunters. So the vampires hire shadowrunners to take down the vampire hunters (and the vampire hunters may earn their keep as shadowrunners...)

---

Yeah, I like vampires. I don't like ghouls so much. This whole drive to humanize them doesn't work on me. While vampires are about Hypocrisy, Monsters Looking Like Us, ghouls are degenerate. They're only vaguely human, can't really hope to masquerade. Their existence sucks; dangerous, but also quite vulnerable.

Ghouls are a plague. They aren't really fit to survive for long, but the pandemic is impossible to contain. It just keeps spreading, and the extermination efforts can't really keep up. If their population gets out of control in the Barrens, then the State will burn them out, but the infection always pops up in a new place.

Ghouls are tragic: they've become monsters that don't have long to live, but will probably cause a lot of harm before someone kills them. The most merciful thing to do is put Ex-Ex between their eyes as fast as possible, from a safe distance.
CanRay
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jul 28 2011, 09:29 AM) *
(although vampires tend to have good lawyers)
Professional courtesy after all.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 23 2011, 12:39 PM) *
Well, it is better then Montreal, at least...

Them's fighting words, tabarnac nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
It's better than Quebec City, at least... nyahnyah.gif
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 28 2011, 11:49 AM) *
It's better than Quebec City, at least... nyahnyah.gif

Thats up there with 'Never deal with a dragon' in things that are obvious biggrin.gif
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jul 28 2011, 12:53 PM) *
Thats up there with 'Never deal with a dragon' in things that are obvious biggrin.gif

Wouldn't know, never been to Quebec City. I have been t the other two. They are looking nicer when compared to Halifax...
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 28 2011, 11:57 AM) *
Wouldn't know, never been to Quebec City. I have been t the other two. They are looking nicer when compared to Halifax...

Go to Toronto if you want decent streets and large sidewalks. Go to Montreal if you want to have a good time
CanRay
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 28 2011, 11:57 AM) *
I used to worry about my father being in Hell.

Then realized, he would just go up to the Devil and say, "Do your worst, I've been in a Quebec City ER with my OHIP card."
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 28 2011, 12:04 PM) *
I used to worry about my father being in Hell.

Then realized, he would just go up to the Devil and say, "Do your worst, I've been in a Quebec City ER with my OHIP card."

It'd be funny if it weren't so true
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jul 28 2011, 01:03 PM) *
Go to Toronto if you want decent streets and large sidewalks. Go to Montreal if you want to have a good time

So I've heard. But, I'm not the kind of person who goes out for a good time. And when I do, I sadly find myself making notes in my head of vcarious things, like general cultural trends, how tight security seems to be, where the exits are, architecture, and just random things no one really cares about. (I don't drink or party, so that may be a part of my reluctance to accept Montreal as a good spot.)
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 28 2011, 12:12 PM) *
So I've heard. But, I'm not the kind of person who goes out for a good time. And when I do, I sadly find myself making notes in my head of vcarious things, like general cultural trends, how tight security seems to be, where the exits are, architecture, and just random things no one really cares about. (I don't drink or party, so that may be a part of my reluctance to accept Montreal as a good spot.)

Not even necessarily drinking or partying. We got great food, a pretty sweet mountain and more festivals than we can shake a stick at. Our movie festival has been pretty sweet this year, for instance.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 28 2011, 06:40 PM) *
Professional courtesy after all.

more likely is the chance of kinship between them <.<
pbangarth
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jul 28 2011, 12:03 PM) *

Yes, follow this advice closely. I want the good stuff here never to get crowded.
Hagga
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 23 2011, 08:13 PM) *
Azania's not so bad as a setting (there's worse parts in the UCAS, not to mention Europe). Besides, I'm kind of tired of the authors in the CGL era painting every African location as a variation of a recent African Hellhole. All race issues/allegations aside, that's just wasting a setting with a lot of potential. You could, for instance, do interesting things with Benin - if you have played Empire: Total War with an Amazon edition gam, you should have a good idea. Or maybe Ethiopia, which has the added bonus of being a hotbed of bizarre iterations of Judaism and Christianity and potential magical hotspots.

You could do quite a lot of things with Africa in Shadowrun. Instead, the entire continent is declared "here be [the correct term is 'people of colour', hermit]s!'. And that's a shame.

Most places in the Shadowrun world fill a purpose - Africa just happens to be the low-civilization, mixed tech jungle hellhole. Like Australia is the mana-wasteland (Although a place with earth scorched bare and grey, burnt skies with arcane winds bearing curses and roving spirits, walled enclaves of corporate rebels and the like would be awesome in Africa).

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jul 24 2011, 12:26 AM) *
Trying to fix that. I had a few ideas, but got involved with things a bit late. Okay, more than a bit late, but Rob didn't listen to me about the critters back in the initial 4E playtests anyway, and it was his decision-making that deballed the Infected from the word "Go."

But I'm working on it. Slowly, since that's how I work and I've got a lot of things to undo, but I am working on it.

I think the entire runners companion book, much as I like it, needs that.
hermit
Most places in the Shadowrun world fill a purpose - Africa just happens to be the low-civilization, mixed tech jungle hellhole. Like Australia is the mana-wasteland (Although a place with earth scorched bare and grey, burnt skies with arcane winds bearing curses and roving spirits, walled enclaves of corporate rebels and the like would be awesome in Africa).

Yeah. Extremly uninspired. Started in Synner's era, and went far, far downhill from there. The worst part (so far) is Hill's bit on Somalia, but Almanac is a close second.
Sengir
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 28 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Indeed... smile.gif

Well, if a character has negative qualities, the player should expect these disadvantages to come up in a game...

But how this is played out is besides the point, my point was that in-universe, a vampire will have a hard time getting his recommended calorie intake and thus is quite likely to look malnourished.
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jul 29 2011, 10:53 AM) *

I would like to complain about this, because I think it's an absolute waste of potentially great cities/cultures for runs. However, when I look at India, Central Asia, or South America (outside of Amazonia), Africa actually seems to come out pretty good. And that's not counting the regions like China or the Middle East where the setting is explained and then basically undeveloped.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 28 2011, 09:02 PM) *

Then why are you playing a ghoul? Yes, there's discrimination to explore but there's a ton of alternatives if you want to explore that.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 29 2011, 05:31 AM) *
But how this is played out is besides the point, my point was that in-universe, a vampire will have a hard time getting his recommended calorie intake and thus is quite likely to look malnourished.

I don't actually see that. Since all that is necessary "In Universe" is to increase your Lifestyle costs, it does not seem all that difficult to acquire the food you need as a Vampire. *Shrug*

No worries though... smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jul 29 2011, 06:22 AM) *
Then why are you playing a ghoul? Yes, there's discrimination to explore but there's a ton of alternatives if you want to explore that.

Easy... I'm Not... My point is that Nutrition is not your worry as an Infected. Discrimination/Being Hunted is the major issue, from what I can see, but your nutrition can easily be handled.
Ascalaphus
If vampires/ghouls can survive the discrimination and lay hands on money, the diet isn't the big problem. If there's a buyer, someone (desperate) will sell.
Dreadlord
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jul 29 2011, 09:22 AM) *
If vampires/ghouls can survive the discrimination and lay hands on money, the diet isn't the big problem. If there's a buyer, someone (desperate) will sell.

True. And for someone desperate, giving up Essence to a vampire for money might be seen as better than selling a kidney to organleggers. No surgery, scarring, etc.

Mardrax
QUOTE (Dreadlord @ Jul 29 2011, 06:50 PM) *
True. And for someone desperate, giving up Essence to a vampire for money might be seen as better than selling a kidney to organleggers. No surgery, scarring, etc.

It's not so much about Essence, they don't need all that much unless they burn through it. It's about blood.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Jul 29 2011, 01:55 PM) *
It's not so much about Essence, they don't need all that much unless they burn through it. It's about blood.

This is true. The vamps don't need to eat essance as often as blood, and blood is naturally renewable.
Stahlseele
Do vampires still bleed when cut?
If so, can they drink their own blood?
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 29 2011, 03:41 PM) *
Do vampires still bleed when cut?
If so, can they drink their own blood?

Yes.
...yes... tentatively.

It's my opinion they can eat their own blood, but it wouldn't exactly be equal. After all, that blood goes to more then replenishing blood.
Stahlseele
Of course they would not get any essence out of it . .
But basic sustenance would be something else entirely . .
And seeing how they have regeneration, even massive blood loss does not really matter, because the blood is regenerated . .
So, basically, they can have a full tummy all the time, but need to go out and get essence from other beings . .
Maybe from another vampire?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012