Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much longer are we expecting 4th to last?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
sunnyside
It's been out for a good six years now, which is roughly seventy two in edition years.

I'm getting to that point where I get reluctant to buy any more products, expecting them to all be invalidated in the near future. Any word that they're planning to keep this edition around unusually long? Or if they've got some kinda promise where books after a certain date will have conversion PDFs printed for free after the new edition hits, or that conversion rules will appear in some version of the new edition's core book? I seem to recall they did that with one of the editions long ago now that I'm typing this.
Fyndhal
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Aug 18 2011, 09:56 PM) *
It's been out for a good six years now, which is roughly seventy two in edition years.

I'm getting to that point where I get reluctant to buy any more products, expecting them to all be invalidated in the near future. Any word that they're planning to keep this edition around unusually long? Or if they've got some kinda promise where books after a certain date will have conversion PDFs printed for free after the new edition hits, or that conversion rules will appear in some version of the new edition's core book? I seem to recall they did that with one of the editions long ago now that I'm typing this.

4a sort of threw the "schedule" out of whack. As a result, I expect SR4a to last another 2 years. Maybe a little less, maybe a bit more, but probably around 2 years.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, of course.
TheOOB
Honestly, not sure myself. There have been some problems with 4e, which has caused books to come out erratically, which may quicken or slow the process onto a new edition.

Honestly, I think we'll see 4e last for awhile as long as CGL is making the books, but if a different company gets the rights, I'd suspect we'd see a different edition.

Me I'm hoping for a new edition, I'm not fond of most of the more recent releases and I think 4e has gotten a bit stagnent.
CanRay
Maybe they can use that new 4th Edition D&D rules I've been hearing so much about?
TheOOB
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 18 2011, 10:54 PM) *
Maybe they can use that new 4th Edition D&D rules I've been hearing so much about?

Ahh D&D, it started as a fantasy war game(chainmail), turned into an RPG, and is now a wargame again.
CanRay
A wargame, ripping off a MMO.
TheOOB
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 18 2011, 11:00 PM) *

Which ripped off D&D in the first place.
CanRay
*Sings in the key of off* "The CIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRCLE of life!!!"
TheOOB
Of course, SR ripped off it's fair share of sources. I imagine someone read through Neuromancer and Lord of the Rings while drunk and...
LurkerOutThere
I guess we've found Mr. Gibson's board posting handle.
CanRay
Nah, I think he's been a Vancouverite long enough to suggest something a little stronger than alcohol.
Seerow
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 19 2011, 05:00 AM) *

People always say this. I don't think the ones who say this actually play a lot of mmos. D&D 4e is nothing like an MMO mechanically. And if the game plays that way, it's the fault of the DM not the system.
CanRay
Seemed that way to the few games I tried, both of 4th and MMOs. Get mission from guy, go kill ten snow moose or whatever, come back for reward.

But, as you said, GM. But I've heard the same statement from other people who do play MMOs and have tried different GMs.
TheOOB
QUOTE (Seerow @ Aug 19 2011, 12:49 AM) *
People always say this. I don't think the ones who say this actually play a lot of mmos. D&D 4e is nothing like an MMO mechanically. And if the game plays that way, it's the fault of the DM not the system.

To be fair, D&D 4e is a wargame, anyone saying otherwise is in denial. 90+% of your character are combat numbers, movement speed, special abilities with areas, special effectives, ect. Tactical grid based combat is essential to the system, and the non-combat mechanics are as shallow as a cat bowl. A good DM can make a very run and exciting game, and players can RP with the system, but the system is still a wargame.

I can RP while I play monopoly if I want.
Seerow
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 19 2011, 06:51 AM) *
Seemed that way to the few games I tried, both of 4th and MMOs. Get mission from guy, go kill ten snow moose or whatever, come back for reward.

But, as you said, GM. But I've heard the same statement from other people who do play MMOs and have tried different GMs.

Well I can say I never had a quest that was "Go out, kill X of this, come back for reward". I can also say I've never played an MMO where powers didn't have some in combat recharge mechanic, or one where the amount of healing over the course of a day (or in an MMO throughout a raid) was limited. I also don't think there's any MMOs where tanks maintain aggro on their targets by penalizing the target for hitting others, but leaving the option available. Note: 4e's introduction of defenders and marks is the biggest complaint that I've seen, because people associate tanking with MMOs. But the 4e method of tanking leaves it up to the GM to weigh the cost vs benefit of just ignoring the mark, in no case is any creature ever forced to attack the guy in full plate to the exclusion of everyone else no matter how stupid that tactic seems or how poorly it is working. This is vastly different from any MMO.

In fact, there are roughly 2 similarities with MMOs I see in 4e D&D: 1) There is a pretty heavy emphasis on combat mechanics. In both instances, this does not mean this is what you must focus on. You can play for months in D&D without fighting one enemy, but most groups don't play that way. Similarly, you can run around in WoW as a level 1 roleplaying experiencing the world and trying to avoid these huge skull leveled creatures trying to kill you, but most don't.

2) There are clearly defined roles in the group, and everyone fills the role. I think this is the one that gets peoples goat more than anything (see also: The tanking thing mentioned above, which is related to this), but really, it is good game design. We don't consider Shadowrun an MMO because you have the street sammy, the hacker, and the mage, each filling their own role in the group. D&D3.5 had a big issue with this particular problem because there weren't defined roles, so it became casters do everything for everyone else, including front line melee combat in the rare event that option was actually useful, and everyone else was useless. Rather than continue that trend, 4e shored things up and narrowed down the options to have each class fill a role in the party. People missed their mage being able to do anything, and thus complained about D&D becoming more MMO-like, because suddenly they don't have tools to bypass adventures and dominate encounters singlehandedly. But I do want to point out, this does not make the game MMO-esque, a creative group still has plenty of options, you just no longer have one player with nigh infinite options, and another player with 1 option.

Now, I'm not saying 4e is perfect. The developers could have left a little more wiggle room all around with regards to options and customization without repeating the mistakes of their past, and I do prefer both 3.5 and Shadowrun to it. However I feel that calling it MMO-esque is a pretty big misnomer, and it is a pet peeve of mine.

To be fair, D&D 4e is a wargame, anyone saying otherwise is in denial. 90+% of your character are combat numbers, movement speed, special abilities with areas, special effectives, ect. Tactical grid based combat is essential to the system, and the non-combat mechanics are as shallow as a cat bowl. A good DM can make a very run and exciting game, and players can RP with the system, but the system is still a wargame.

I won't disagree with this. But there's a huge step from a wargame and an MMO. And that line only really gets crossed if you have an exceptionally lazy DM (who does the aformentioned go kill 10 buffalo, bring me back their wings for a reward style quests)
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Aug 18 2011, 11:58 PM) *

In fact, Mr. Gibson, some of the best roleplaying I've ever seen was at the Monopoly board.

As far as how long 4th will last - have there been any rumblings of a new system? Might the recent troubles at CGL have delayed any planned new edition?
TheOOB
QUOTE (Seerow @ Aug 19 2011, 01:04 AM) *
Well I can say I never had a quest that was "Go out, kill X of this, come back for reward". I can also say I've never played an MMO where powers didn't have some in combat recharge mechanic, or one where the amount of healing over the course of a day (or in an MMO throughout a raid) was limited. I also don't think there's any MMOs where tanks maintain aggro on their targets by penalizing the target for hitting others, but leaving the option available. Note: 4e's introduction of defenders and marks is the biggest complaint that I've seen, because people associate tanking with MMOs. But the 4e method of tanking leaves it up to the GM to weigh the cost vs benefit of just ignoring the mark, in no case is any creature ever forced to attack the guy in full plate to the exclusion of everyone else no matter how stupid that tactic seems or how poorly it is working. This is vastly different from any MMO.

In fact, there are roughly 2 similarities with MMOs I see in 4e D&D: 1) There is a pretty heavy emphasis on combat mechanics. In both instances, this does not mean this is what you must focus on. You can play for months in D&D without fighting one enemy, but most groups don't play that way. Similarly, you can run around in WoW as a level 1 roleplaying experiencing the world and trying to avoid these huge skull leveled creatures trying to kill you, but most don't.

2) There are clearly defined roles in the group, and everyone fills the role. I think this is the one that gets peoples goat more than anything (see also: The tanking thing mentioned above, which is related to this), but really, it is good game design. We don't consider Shadowrun an MMO because you have the street sammy, the hacker, and the mage, each filling their own role in the group. D&D3.5 had a big issue with this particular problem because there weren't defined roles, so it became casters do everything for everyone else, including front line melee combat in the rare event that option was actually useful, and everyone else was useless. Rather than continue that trend, 4e shored things up and narrowed down the options to have each class fill a role in the party. People missed their mage being able to do anything, and thus complained about D&D becoming more MMO-like, because suddenly they don't have tools to bypass adventures and dominate encounters singlehandedly. But I do want to point out, this does not make the game MMO-esque, a creative group still has plenty of options, you just no longer have one player with nigh infinite options, and another player with 1 option.

Now, I'm not saying 4e is perfect. The developers could have left a little more wiggle room all around with regards to options and customization without repeating the mistakes of their past, and I do prefer both 3.5 and Shadowrun to it. However I feel that calling it MMO-esque is a pretty big misnomer, and it is a pet peeve of mine.

I won't disagree with this. But there's a huge step from a wargame and an MMO. And that line only really gets crossed if you have an exceptionally lazy DM (who does the aformentioned go kill 10 buffalo, bring me back their wings for a reward style quests)

I personally don't like the MMO comparison, but I understand it. 4e basically boiled characters down to a bunch of "crunchy bits", singular abilities that have direct combat applications and rules spelled out. There is less wiggle room to be creative with the use of the abilities, and frankly every class is the same, just have a bunch of abilities that "deal X damage and do Y"
Fatum
Seriously, a D&D4E shitstorm? Here? Aren't you messing up dumpshock with /tg/ or something, gentlemen?

Also, back to initial topic. I hate switching editions (and I don't really like learning the crunch of new systems, unlike the fluff, to be completely honest). So, unless 5E will be a massive improvement, tears of rage will be shed.
Mäx
I would say atleast 2-3 years, as there seems to be quite a lot of books in different states of development.
Mayhem_2006
SR4 will last for as long as people play it, no matter what the publishers do.

UNLESS SR5 is astonishingly good, so good that it makes every current SR player abandon SR4 at the drop of a hat - but really? How likely is it that a new edition pleases all of the players?

There are still dozens of websites hosting SR3 material, after all. SO even if the publisher decides to do nothing more for SR4, its likely that plenty of new fan-made material will continue to arrive - and based on the negative attitude that every new current sourcebook gets from dumpshockers, the quality of said stuff will be just as good :smile.gif
Stahlseele
SR5D20 *runs*
suoq
If it was organized and consistent, I'd switch today.

I've lost track of the number of hacking threads that claim the authors didn't even understand their own rules. I've watched people argue that rules are fluff (which leaves us with entire situations that have no rules). I'm convinced that not only do I still not understand the rules, I'm convinced that not a single poster on Dumpshock understands the rules. (Though some of them will argue against that with their dying breath.)

We should not be this far into things and still not have a clue what you need to spoof, how to spoof, or why you would bother. Despite skinlinking to keep someone from ejecting your "clip", I don't think we can get two people to agree HOW a hacker actually goes through the process of getting your "clip" to eject in-combat before combat is over, even if it isn't skinlinked.

All 5th has to do to win me over is be organized and consistent, to the point where everyone understands it.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 19 2011, 01:07 AM) *
*Sings in the key of off* "The CIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRCLE of life!!!"

*Joins the choir*
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love

Now, seriously, new editions are a fact of life. I've been through 3 editions of D&D (4 if you count 3.5 as a differente edition), 4 editions of L5R (third edition, how I hate thee), 3 white wolf editions and 3 GURPS editions and 2 Shadowrun editions (moved from second edition to fourth, never played the third one).
And as far I as can tell, and this is MY OPINION, all games were an improvement of the last one with the exception of L5R 3ed and D&D 4ed.
I can see a lot of flaws in Shadowrun4, but compared to the the second edition, I think it was one hell of improvement.
Fatum
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 19 2011, 04:32 PM) *
All 5th has to do to win me over is be organized and consistent, to the point where everyone understands it.
Well if you look at the precedent (Eclipse Phase, I'm looking at you), changing a bit here and there doesn't really fix 4E's problems. So unless it's something revolutionary, I doubt it will be worth it - and if it is revolutionary, I am sure at least half the current 4E players will frown upon it for the change alone.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Aug 19 2011, 06:27 AM) *
Now, seriously, new editions are a fact of life. I've been through 3 editions of D&D (4 if you count 3.5 as a differente edition), 4 editions of L5R (third edition, how I hate thee), 3 white wolf editions and 3 GURPS editions and 2 Shadowrun editions (moved from second edition to fourth, never played the third one).
And as far I as can tell, and this is MY OPINION, all games were an improvement of the last one with the exception of L5R 3ed and D&D 4ed.
I can see a lot of flaws in Shadowrun4, but compared to the the second edition, I think it was one hell of improvement.

Really? I like L5R 3rd. Though to be fair, I have yet to see anything on L5R 4th. What did you find objectionable? I found it somewhat less onerous (less powerful) than L5R 2nd. But that was just a matter of scale, I think. I'm Curious. Maybe PM me to keep the derail from extending too much.
Bigity
I tend to agree that CGL will stick with 4th edition for a good while to come, just with all the troubles and issues, it seems the last thing they'd want to do is throw out a ton of effort that went into holding onto the license and putting out books.
Ascalaphus
Is there any noise at all from CGL that they're considering a new edition?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Bigity @ Aug 19 2011, 06:39 AM) *
I tend to agree that CGL will stick with 4th edition for a good while to come, just with all the troubles and issues, it seems the last thing they'd want to do is throw out a ton of effort that went into holding onto the license and putting out books.

Indeed... And, like Fatum, I would heavily resist the "Progress" of a new Edition.
Bigity
I want a new matrix book going back to UMS icons though biggrin.gif
Redjack
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 19 2011, 07:09 AM) *
SR5D20 *runs*
Surely this is worthy of an administrative warning? No? No single TOS element bans this? Excuse me while I go update the TOS.
Fatum
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 19 2011, 05:41 PM) *
Indeed... And, like Fatum, I would heavily resist the "Progress" of a new Edition.
Never said I'd resist it if it is noticeably better, just that I'll be extremely cautious.

QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 19 2011, 05:43 PM) *
Surely this is worthy of an administrative warning? No? No single TOS element bans this? Excuse me while I go update the TOS.
You could call it trolling, maybe...

CanRay
It's easy to troll on the forums when you're over three meters tall and have horns.
Seerow
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 19 2011, 02:43 PM) *

I fully expect to see this in the ToS within the next 10 minutes or I'm reporting this post for trolling.
Redjack
QUOTE (Seerow @ Aug 19 2011, 08:55 AM) *
I fully expect to see this in the ToS within the next 10 minutes or I'm reporting this post for trolling.
Actually, I think he's making a religious based attack with that.
Fatum
Resisted by WIL + Counterspelling, if available.
Seerow
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 19 2011, 03:03 PM) *
Resisted by WIL + Counterspelling, if available.

What's the drain on that kind of attack? And how would you quantify the WIL of the Dumpshock forums as a collective?
CanRay
QUOTE (Seerow @ Aug 19 2011, 09:05 AM) *
What's the drain on that kind of attack? And how would you quantify the WIL of the Dumpshock forums as a collective?
Great, we're a low-end Dues.

EDIT: Or Dues if he grew up Ghetto.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 19 2011, 07:09 AM) *
Great, we're a low-end Dues.

EDIT: Or Dues if he grew up Ghetto.

A Ghetto Deus? Sorry, I just could not stop laughing at that one. smile.gif
Infornography
I think Shadowrun needs a complete makeover.
Sure the 4ed is more streamlined but it's still full of inherited waste and very clunky.
The rules need to be purged badly. I'd prefer them to be less complex and more abstract.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Infornography @ Aug 19 2011, 07:11 AM) *
I think Shadowrun needs a complete makeover.
Sure the 4ed is more streamlined but it's still full of inherited waste and very clunky.
The rules need to be purged badly. I'd prefer them to be less complex and more abstract.

MORE Abstract? Really? Hmmmmm..... eek.gif
Fatum
The WIL is around 2, 3 tops I'd say judging by the number of glitches resulting in thread derails and pages of pointless bickering.
As to the drain, let's see. Obviously, not Physical (0), Area (+2), Instant (+0), Mental Manipulation (+0), Major Change (+2). So, F/2+4!
Infornography
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 19 2011, 03:13 PM) *
MORE Abstract? Really? Hmmmmm..... eek.gif
The basic rules are abstract but certain fields are too simulation-like. Depending on the archetype I'm playing I feel more like an accountant than a player.
suoq
QUOTE (Infornography @ Aug 19 2011, 09:23 AM) *
The basic rules are abstract but certain fields are too simulation-like. Depending on the archetype I'm playing I feel more like an accountant than a player.

Amen.
Recoil (& compensation) and Social skill modifiers make me yearn for AD&D's (1st ed) encumbrance rules.
I enjoy hacking because it means I can go on a food run and not miss anything.

I think some people enjoy 4th ed, because it allows them to argue online and feel smarter than other people because they have the one true interpretation.
Fatum
If you think recoil is a complex mechanic, I don't understand how you got through hacking, unless your GM throws 3/4 of the rules away.
UmaroVI
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 19 2011, 07:32 AM) *
If it was organized and consistent, I'd switch today.

I've lost track of the number of hacking threads that claim the authors didn't even understand their own rules. I've watched people argue that rules are fluff (which leaves us with entire situations that have no rules). I'm convinced that not only do I still not understand the rules, I'm convinced that not a single poster on Dumpshock understands the rules. (Though some of them will argue against that with their dying breath.)

We should not be this far into things and still not have a clue what you need to spoof, how to spoof, or why you would bother. Despite skinlinking to keep someone from ejecting your "clip", I don't think we can get two people to agree HOW a hacker actually goes through the process of getting your "clip" to eject in-combat before combat is over, even if it isn't skinlinked.

I completely agree with Suoq about this. If 5e has rules that are clear, consistent, and understandable, I would switch today.

My personal metaphor for the SR4 matrix rules is the Mirror of Galadriel. Everyone who looks at them sees something different, and there's no way to know if its nonsense, what the developers intended, what the developers wrote, what was written by 2 different developers who weren't on speaking terms, or what the rules actually say. And if you look too closely, the burning eye of the technomancy rules melts your brain.

The only way to understand the matrix rules is to understand that there are no matrix rules. They can't be fully understood because there just is not a complete, consistent system present to understand.
Seerow
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 19 2011, 03:30 PM) *
Amen.
Recoil (& compensation) and Social skill modifiers make me yearn for AD&D's (1st ed) encumbrance rules.
I enjoy hacking because it means I can go on a food run and not miss anything.

I think some people enjoy 4th ed, because it allows them to argue online and feel smarter than other people because they have the one true interpretation.

What recoil and recoil compensation is complicated and open to interpretation?
UmaroVI
Recoil is pretty cut and dry, but it is sure as hell not simple because of the convoluted stacking rules. If you have a sling, a foregrip, and a shock pad on an Ares Alpha, how much recoil compensation do you have? No peeking at Arsenal!
Fatum
...you have to calculate it once.
Yeah, you need tables to calculate RC - many other mechanics require those, too; there's nothing wrong with that.
Like, if you're a rogue, what's your bab and fort save on level 11? No peeking at PHB!
CanRay
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Aug 19 2011, 09:42 AM) *
Recoil is pretty cut and dry, but it is sure as hell not simple because of the convoluted stacking rules. If you have a sling, a foregrip, and a shock pad on an Ares Alpha, how much recoil compensation do you have? No peeking at Arsenal!
Semi-Auto, Short Burst, Long Burst, or Full Auto?
suoq
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 19 2011, 09:45 AM) *
Semi-Auto, Short Burst, Long Burst, or Full Auto?

Include planning for first and second simple actions or next IP if a complex action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012