Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fallout: New Vegas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tanegar
I started a new game for the purpose of playing through all the DLC I bought during Steam's holiday sale. I just got to level 15 and started Old World Blues. Is Big MT supposed to be a lot harder than the Mojave Wasteland? Even with Energy Weapons at 65, the sonic doohicky is damn near useless. I think I'm going to switch to a plasma rifle and see how that works.
CanRay
Yes, it's supposed to be harder. The Sonic Doohicky (Actually a good name considering it's inventors!) is more of a door-opener and robot/cyborg killer, and it gets better when you find the different audio tracks. The LAER will serve you much better, when you find one.

Just two things to be careful about: Cazadores and Nightstalkers galore! F*** but I hate Cazadores! Have a shotgun for those, with Magnum Shells. I like to load my own, which is why I usually tag Repair.
Tanegar
What should I be using to kill roboscorpions? I gained another level and bumped my Energy Weapons skill up to 80, but those things are ridiculously resilient to my plasma rifle.
Rastus
Robo-scorpions? Pretty much any gun that does 80+ per shot. You know, missile launchers, plasma grenades, the Tesla cannons. I'd suggest the upgraded Holorifle -OR- the YCS/186 with Max Charge cells, but I have a feeling you rushed straight to OWB before getting either of those, so... Robotics Expert perk, sneak up to deactivate, then empty your biggest gun into them before they demonstrate their unique ability to wake up. Maybe that'll make it easier?
CanRay
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 4 2012, 03:59 AM) *
What should I be using to kill roboscorpions? I gained another level and bumped my Energy Weapons skill up to 80, but those things are ridiculously resilient to my plasma rifle.
Now you pull out the Sonic Thingamajig, especially if you got a sound that knocks them back.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 4 2012, 08:18 AM) *
Robo-scorpions? Pretty much any gun that does 80+ per shot. You know, missile launchers, plasma grenades, the Tesla cannons. I'd suggest the upgraded Holorifle -OR- the YCS/186 with Max Charge cells, but I have a feeling you rushed straight to OWB before getting either of those, so... Robotics Expert perk, sneak up to deactivate, then empty your biggest gun into them before they demonstrate their unique ability to wake up. Maybe that'll make it easier?

Your feeling is correct, sir. The warning at the drive-in said Old World Blues is for characters level 15 and up. I think it should have said 20 and up. Fortunately, I have a save from shortly before starting OWB, and I'm leaning toward reverting to it.
Doc Chase
OWB = Delicious. Easily the best of all the DLC.

I ended up modding in CaliberX and Ahztek's Upgraded Weapons so I could bring a Barrett .50 along for the ride. Makes the roboscorpions fall down good. The Sonic Doohickey, on the other hand, does not.

I also worked on a ninja build after grabbing the Inverse Proton Axe. That worked pretty well on all the robots, too!
Rastus
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 4 2012, 02:26 PM) *
Your feeling is correct, sir. The warning at the drive-in said Old World Blues is for characters level 15 and up. I think it should have said 20 and up. Fortunately, I have a save from shortly before starting OWB, and I'm leaning toward reverting to it.

Well, I won't say you should revert back. Those weapons will help a bunch, but even if you go into OWB at level 30 as I have, all the DLC enemies scale pretty evenly, so the robo-scorpions will still be damage sponges at a later level. Still though, the Holorifle is a helluva gun. At 100 EW skill and with the damage upgrade, that thing does a base damage of about 105 and only uses one cell per shot.

Besides, bad as the robo-scorps tend to be, I'm told they don't hold a candlestick to what awaits in Lonesome Road.

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jan 4 2012, 03:43 PM) *
OWB = Delicious. Easily the best of all the DLC.

I ended up modding in CaliberX and Ahztek's Upgraded Weapons so I could bring a Barrett .50 along for the ride. Makes the roboscorpions fall down good. The Sonic Doohickey, on the other hand, does not.

I also worked on a ninja build after grabbing the Inverse Proton Axe. That worked pretty well on all the robots, too!

You should use the Underground Hideout mod. Come on Doc, be a slave to The Wall as I have become.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 4 2012, 09:52 PM) *
Well, I won't say you should revert back. Those weapons will help a bunch, but even if you go into OWB at level 30 as I have, all the DLC enemies scale pretty evenly, so the robo-scorpions will still be damage sponges at a later level. Still though, the Holorifle is a helluva gun. At 100 EW skill and with the damage upgrade, that thing does a base damage of about 105 and only uses one cell per shot.

Besides, bad as the robo-scorps tend to be, I'm told they don't hold a candlestick to what awaits in Lonesome Road.

You should use the Underground Hideout mod. Come on Doc, be a slave to The Wall as I have become.

I'll look for it.

I have a cheese save that boosts laser damage by about 400%, so adding that + Overload makes for a nuclear laser pistol when I snag a sneak attack crit on it.

Why? Because I wanted to see what it would do.
Rastus
Been making progress in OWB(it's my first time too). I forgot to mention this, but for the love of god don't stay outdoors for long, people! I remember there being some sort of hardcoded script that constantly spawns enemies nearby if you do stay out. It's not an endless stream, but you'll be worn down by robo-scorps and Lobotomites pretty bad.

Other advice is not to come in wearing armor you can't repair easily and cheaply, because it'll get shredded in no time. Came in with fully repaired Joshua Graham outfit, and it got reduced to 20% before I made my way to the damn Sneaking Suit. Somebody is going to pay for ruining my classiest outfit.
CanRay
Yeah, the amount I had to pay to keep repairing things... Ugh.
Rastus
Well, I don't know how Tanegar's doing but I've finished OWB with flying colors, mostly thanks to the quite broken Holorifle. I somehow bugged out the condition and now the thing never degrades.

I can definately see why so many people love this DLC so much. It's completely chockful of crazy in the writing and the characters. That, and it brings even more nods to the spiritual predecessor of the entire Fallout series, Wasteland. Pretty impressive feat, considering that vanilla New Vegas was loaded with them as it was. I will admit it was pretty damn tough though. I shudder at what awaits me in Lonesome road.
CanRay
I love the most unexpected conversation ever!
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 6 2012, 03:54 PM) *
Well, I don't know how Tanegar's doing but I've finished OWB with flying colors, mostly thanks to the quite broken Holorifle. I somehow bugged out the condition and now the thing never degrades.

I can definately see why so many people love this DLC so much. It's completely chockful of crazy in the writing and the characters. That, and it brings even more nods to the spiritual predecessor of the entire Fallout series, Wasteland. Pretty impressive feat, considering that vanilla New Vegas was loaded with them as it was. I will admit it was pretty damn tough though. I shudder at what awaits me in Lonesome road.

An automatic rocket launcher.

That's what.

Honestly, with exception of the lizards, Lonesome Road wasn't that bad.
CanRay
"Flare Launcher! Flare Launcher! FLARE LAUNCHER!!! WHY DID I KEEP SELLING FLAMER FUEL??? FLARE!!!"

EDIT: I still have to walk the Courier's Mile...
Stahlseele
Wat.
Old World Blues?
A NEW DLC?
I did not know about this ._.
Wonder if that will be in ze GOTY Version . .
If so, i may just end up buying FNV a THIRD time . .
CanRay
Old World Blues is a Sci-Fi style DLC, WITH SCIENCE!

Lonesome Road is the tale (finally) of Ulysses, why he didn't take the job of handling the Platinum Chip, and the message he wants to deliver to The Courier.

BTW: Ulysses is a guy that scares Joshua Graham, and was sent to KILL HIM! And you're running TOWARDS this guy.
Stahlseele
OK, if they are both in the GOTY, i WILL buy it a third time <.<
CanRay
You can buy the DLCs separate, as I understand it. Unless there's something strange going on in Germany.

There's also DLCs that give you all the pre-order items, and another one that adds many, many weapons. Including the Semi-Automatic Rifle that I was drooling over in the previews of the game and only showed up in it's unique form (This Machine).
Stahlseele
Nothing strange going on in germany, aside from credit cards not being the norm for anybody above 16.
i just don't LIKE buying stuff that i can't pay in cash for <.<
even if i DO order stuff online, i have it delivered to a shop in town and give them money and take my toy.
CanRay
Fair enough, support local business. smile.gif
Stahlseele
Yup.
The Butcher knows me.
The Sweets-Dealer knows me.
The Drinks-Dealer knows me.
The Tech-Shops LIKE me.
Hell, i am on first name base with several of them ^^
CanRay
Stahl, "Dealer" means something quite a bit different in North America. nyahnyah.gif
Rastus
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jan 9 2012, 01:20 PM) *
An automatic rocket launcher.

That's what.

Honestly, with exception of the lizards, Lonesome Road wasn't that bad.

Those "lizards" aren't so bad. They are certainly tougher than their 0 DT would suggest, which tells me their DR is jacked way up. Still, grabbing a high DPS gun and loading it with hollowpoints can make them managable.

No, my biggest challange is not the enemies. Hell, the Courier's Mile wasn't so bad, despite dying to Irradiated Deathclaws about 3 times, but still, nothing the YCS/186 and Max Charge cells can't fix. No, this one is much more insidious. I am of course, talking about the most dangerous thing introduced in Lonesome Road: THE SATCHEL CHARGE! These things are mean little bastards. Tons of damage, detect you from very far away, and their detonation delay is a mere fraction of any other 'landmine' type explosive. Other mines go 'beepbeepbeepbeepbeep-BOOM!" This one only beeps twice, just long enough for you to curse the heavens as your goddamn arms and legs get crippled again.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 10 2012, 02:44 AM) *
Those "lizards" aren't so bad. They are certainly tougher than their 0 DT would suggest, which tells me their DR is jacked way up. Still, grabbing a high DPS gun and loading it with hollowpoints can make them managable.

No, my biggest challange is not the enemies. Hell, the Courier's Mile wasn't so bad, despite dying to Irradiated Deathclaws about 3 times, but still, nothing the YCS/186 and Max Charge cells can't fix. No, this one is much more insidious. I am of course, talking about the most dangerous thing introduced in Lonesome Road: THE SATCHEL CHARGE! These things are mean little bastards. Tons of damage, detect you from very far away, and their detonation delay is a mere fraction of any other 'landmine' type explosive. Other mines go 'beepbeepbeepbeepbeep-BOOM!" This one only beeps twice, just long enough for you to curse the heavens as your goddamn arms and legs get crippled again.

This is why Light Step is a part of every build.
Rastus
Welp, that's it. I'm done. Finished all four DLC. I have finally put an end to things, and learned the latest lessons of why war never changes. Quite the trip, but now I'm worried. In all four, they purposed their own question and answered it neatly by the end, however, they have forgotten to answer the most pertinant question of all:

What can change the nature of a man?
Stahlseele
War.
CanRay
QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 10 2012, 05:22 AM) *
What can change the nature of a man?
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 10 2012, 06:14 AM) *
War.
Finding out that even the smallest choices one makes in life can have massive repercussions at times.
X-Kalibur
War. War never changes.
CanRay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jan 10 2012, 02:23 PM) *
War. War never changes.
His underwear.
Stahlseele
Steve Jobs:"War changes everything!"
Steve Jobs:"War changes everything! Again!"
Tanegar
Welp, I reverted to my pre-Old World Blues save, and am once again kicking ass and taking names... mostly. Why do Legionaries (and Legionary Assassins in particular) have such ludicrously high DT when their armor looks like it's made mostly of leather with some metal plates attached?

On the upside, I'm rolling along nicely toward level 20 and Dead Money.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 13 2012, 10:12 AM) *
Welp, I reverted to my pre-Old World Blues save, and am once again kicking ass and taking names... mostly. Why do Legionaries (and Legionary Assassins in particular) have such ludicrously high DT when their armor looks like it's made mostly of leather with some metal plates attached?

On the upside, I'm rolling along nicely toward level 20 and Dead Money.

I love Dead Money, it makes people cry for mommy.
CanRay
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jan 13 2012, 02:17 PM) *
I love Dead Money, it makes people cry for mommy.
I somehow lucked out and saved Dean the first time. Never been able to since.

Guy that's 200+ years old, you'd think he'd have thicker skin than that. ... Well, when he had skin, that is.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 13 2012, 10:20 AM) *

Guy that's 200+ years old, you'd think he'd have thicker skin than that. ... Well, when he had skin, that is.

To quote Harold from Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (an awful game really) as to why he can't visit the brothel any longer "The meat just comes right off the bone if you know what I mean."
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 13 2012, 07:20 PM) *

Don't ask questions and don't talk about the bomb in the seat and you'll save him every time. nyahnyah.gif

My least favorite is Honest Hearts, mostly because I keep having crashing problems with the Better Burned Man mod.
Tanegar
I think I've run into a bug. Yes Man is no longer where you find him. Does he move to a different location after your initial encounter?
CanRay
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 13 2012, 06:21 PM) *
I think I've run into a bug. Yes Man is no longer where you find him. Does he move to a different location after your initial encounter?
Right in front of The Tops.
Stahlseele
the normal storyline? O.o
if you get into trouble early on and close enough to him, he will come running and gunning to help.
afterwards he will slowly go back to his place.
and once you leave the starting village and progress your main quest, he goes off to Vegas and waits in front of the gate i think.
Tanegar
You're thinking of Victor, Stahl.

I hit level 20 and started Dead Money. I foresee myself putting many, many points into Melee. Ghost People soak up bullets at an alarming rate.
CanRay
Wait until you find out more about them. devil.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 13 2012, 07:10 PM) *
You're thinking of Victor, Stahl.

I hit level 20 and started Dead Money. I foresee myself putting many, many points into Melee. Ghost People soak up bullets at an alarming rate.

I'll let you in on a secret - aim for limbs or the head. A crit to a limb will sever is and cause them to outright die. Much like when they hit the ground and you've gotta take a part off to stop them from getting up.
CanRay
Those Cosmic Knives are your friends!

EDIT: Also, "Abraxo, is there anything it CAN'T do???"
Rastus
If you got Unarmed skill, the beartrap gloves they sometimes carry do quite well, as they got the usual high damage of unarmed weapons and they come with bonus limb damage.

Oh, and if you've got the energy weapons skill to justify it, search high and low for the Holorifle upgrades. I'm telling you, that thing will become your best friend with the damage upgrade alone, and the spread upgrade will let you engage targets from a healthy distance.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 14 2012, 08:53 AM) *
If you got Unarmed skill, the beartrap gloves they sometimes carry do quite well, as they got the usual high damage of unarmed weapons and they come with bonus limb damage.

Oh, and if you've got the energy weapons skill to justify it, search high and low for the Holorifle upgrades. I'm telling you, that thing will become your best friend with the damage upgrade alone, and the spread upgrade will let you engage targets from a healthy distance.

My Superheated Saturnite Fist renders your bear trap irrelevant.
CanRay
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jan 16 2012, 12:10 PM) *
My Superheated Saturnite Fist renders your bear trap irrelevant.
Not in Dead Money!

You start that game in new clothing, with a bomb collar on, with a holorifle, and the strange feeling you've been violated!
Doc Chase
Good point, that.

I enjoyed finding the Browning when wandering around the Madre, as well. 'Twas a fine (if not expensive) piece of hardware, but the most iconic moment I had was wandering up to the Vault with my girl Six in Vera's outfit with the Hunting Shotgun.

That is Dead Money right goddamn there
CanRay
The Browning was my Go-To weapon until Arsenal came out, and I got the Battle Rifle. biggrin.gif

Also custom-make my own ammo, so it's not so bad to make the ammo for, as long as I can keep in Powder and Primers.
Tanegar
So, I'm in the Sierra Madre.
[ Spoiler ]
Stahlseele
As long as nobody sees you, shoot him in the face for money. It's that kind of game(world) after all ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012