Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you shoot and hide simultaneously?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Grinder
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 30 2012, 07:45 AM) *
Using camouflage isn't just wearing the camo. In fact you can camouflage yourself without wearing any "camo" at all. What actually matters is using cover appropriately, picking the exact section of terrain you're going to blend into, minding your sightlines, being aware of your silhouette, and even more importantly limiting your movement.

Camouflage that works well against one background might be drastically less effective against a slightly different background in the same environment. Camouflage that blends in exactly when you're motionless can be instantly ruined by moving even slightly. And while you might be practically invisible while sitting, crouching, or lying prone near an appropriate background, all you need to do is stand up against the sky to be completely obvious.

The original question was about a sniper on a crane. To reach the top of the crane, they Infiltrate, because they're in motion. Once there, they settle down into a hidden shooting position, which is their Disguise roll. They aren't moving, so they have to pick a spot that conceals them, taking into consideration their background. It's almost 100% required that the sniper go prone in this position, because otherwise they're gonna contrast with the sky quite plainly. If there's some sort of lip on top of the crane that they can lie behind for cover, they need to use that to conceal themselves from view. If there isn't a direct barrier to block line of sight, they need to lay down on a section of the crane that has an uneven silhouette, such that their own silhouette doesn't stand out like a bump on a log. They should also try to pick a spot that doesn't contrast too highly with whatever they are wearing - almost any other color is probably better than a section painted bright construction yellow, for example. Oh, and if they can camouflage their shots as well by timing them to coincide with other ambient sounds? Even better.

You have to make a lot of quick judgements about the terrain (read surroundings, meaning everything around you, pedants) and your own appearance in or against it. That's why Disguise is an Intuition skill - you need to have an intuitive grasp of what will make you stand out and what will help conceal you.

In contrast, Infiltration is an Agility skill. It deals with how well you can control your body, how well you can move quickly without making noise, how well you can duck and weave and stalk and shimmy through terrain when no one is directly looking. Infiltration means ducking behind crates or into shadows, peering around corners and scurrying like hell when the guard's back is turned. Infiltration means moving at the right time, to the right place, with the right about of care to remain unseen, unheard, and undetected - not because you are blending in, but because you are actively hiding. If the box you were crouched behind suddenly vanished, anyone looking your way would suddenly see you.

And all of that is in line with the one thing that ultimately matters anyway. The RAW.

"Infiltration is the skill used when a character wants to sneak around undetected by either other characters or security sensors."
"When a character... wants to look like someone else or blend into the background... she uses the Disguise skill."

Sneaking up the crane? Infiltration.
Taking shots from a static position once on the crane? Disguise.

I'm sorry guys, you can't just rely on your high Agility and a single Stealth Skill. You can't Infiltrate to pick a pocket, you can't Infiltrate to Shadow someone, and you can't Infiltrate to hide in plain sight. This isn't WoW and you aren't playing Rogues.

~Umi

QUOTE (almost normal @ May 30 2012, 04:17 PM) *
Wow. That's nauseatingly disingenuous. I posted the rules on this self same page, yet you felt the need to edit them? Well, let's see what you left out, and let's add in your ellipsis for the added emphasis to make it plainly obvious that you were being intentionally deceptive.

If you were trolling me, well done, you succeeded. If not... Your edits are just embarrassing.

almost normal, are you able to behave like an adult?
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 30 2012, 09:51 AM) *
Ditto... Yerameyahu and Umidori have the right of it.

I throw my glove in with them. Almost Normal, you seem to be completely ignoring the last part of the rules you keep quoting; this is where the confusion is coming in and why the argument seems circular.
almost normal
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 31 2012, 08:22 AM) *
I throw my glove in with them. Almost Normal, you seem to be completely ignoring the last part of the rules you keep quoting; this is where the confusion is coming in and why the argument seems circular.

It's possible. It's also likely the folks arguing against the logical reading of the rules choose to ignore the first part of the rule, which is more egregious since the second part can't exist without the first.

When a character wants to take on a false appearance of some kind,
she uses the Disguise skill. This is true whether she wants to look like
someone else or blend into the background.

There's really only one way to read that. Hiding behind a rock is infiltration. Hiding behind a rock using a camouflage uniform issued by a faceless AAA doesn't suddenly make your infiltration skill useless. That's both preposterous and laughable, but it's what some folks seem to be insisting.

The soldiers are blending in nearly perfectly with the rock. They're using infiltration. They are taking on no false appearance whatsoever.

Another example.

This kid designed a set of hockey pads that look like the back of the net. Fucking awesome. To create those pads in Shadowrun, he'd likely have used a mix of disguise and armorer. Now if he sells those pads, are they less effective if another goalie uses them? Clearly not. No skill is required. If anything, Infiltration in staying perfectly skill might help.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 07:05 AM) *
It's possible. It's also likely the folks arguing against the logical reading of the rules choose to ignore the first part of the rule, which is more egregious since the second part can't exist without the first.

There's really only one way to read that. Hiding behind a rock is infiltration. Hiding behind a rock using a camouflage uniform issued by a faceless AAA doesn't suddenly make your infiltration skill useless. That's both preposterous and laughable, but it's what some folks seem to be insisting.

The soldiers are blending in nearly perfectly with the rock. They're using infiltration. They are taking on no false appearance whatsoever.

Ummmm... No they are not. There is absolutely no blending going on there. They actually stick out pretty egregiously. Just my 2 Nuyen, from someone with some experience in the particular subject at hand.
_Pax._
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 09:05 AM) *

Are you fucking kidding me ...? They're wearing WOODLAND GREEN BDUs, in a DESERT SAND environment. Those uniforms they're in (aside from the armor vests, which ARE the right color for that terrain) ... they're wearing a camoflage pattern meant for western Europe, while ostensibly parking their butts on a hilltop in the middle east.

That's still a Disguise roll, alright. Just ... it's a CRITICAL GLITCH, too!

Whoever's responsible for supplying their unit should have some serious charges drawn up against them and be hauled in front of a Court Martial. >_<;;
CanRay
Woodland Green Outfits in the Desert?

Must be the Canadian Armed Forces.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 31 2012, 10:19 AM) *
Are you fucking kidding me ...? They're wearing WOODLAND GREEN BDUs, in a DESERT SAND environment. Those uniforms they're in (aside from the armor vests, which ARE the right color for that terrain) ... they're wearing a camoflage pattern meant for western Europe, while ostensibly parking their butts on a hilltop in the middle east.

Whoever's responsible for supplying their unit should have some serious charges drawn up against them and be hauled in front of a Court Martial. >_<;;

I wouldn't call it a critical glitch - there's some vegetation next to them that is sort-of green, too. From a far distance away (such as that settlement or walled whatever next to the desert they're siting in on,) a few splashes of green won't be that retardedly stand-outish.

I'd call it a glitch, but not a critical one. "Okay, you successfully procured weapons, helmets and armor in the appropriate colors and camouflage, but for some reason someone upriver of you in the supply chain sent you woodland green uniforms. Short of staging an overt raid on your own supply chain or hiring some Shadowrunners, you're not gonna be able to get the proper uniforms before you get deployed." So the net result would probably be about no modifications from equipment on the soldiers' rolls.

A critical glitch would be procuring a mix of maritime blue and arctic white.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 31 2012, 08:19 AM) *

Yeah, did not really want to touch on that aspect, as it is completely ludicrous. Absolute Failure of the Supply Chain in action.
almost normal
I had looked for pictures of US snipers. The combat rifle to the right looks suspiciously non American however.
CanRay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 31 2012, 10:38 AM) *
Yeah, did not really want to touch on that aspect, as it is completely ludicrous.
No, completely ludicrous is selling all your brand new desert digicam to the USA and then finding yourself sending troops to Afghanistan.

REMFs.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 31 2012, 08:40 AM) *
No, completely ludicrous is selling all your brand new desert digicam to the USA and then finding yourself sending troops to Afghanistan.

REMFs.

Heh... Indeed... REMF's are often the bane of front line troops. wobble.gif
_Pax._
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 11:39 AM) *
I had looked for pictures of US snipers.

And very conspicuously avoided any snipers using actual camoflage skills - like the construction and wearing of a ghillie suit. Like, say, these:

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
That 2nd image is just awesome... Must be a Marine. smile.gif
almost normal
Thats because I fully believe that the construction of a ghillie suit would be covered in disguise. The use of one in SR remains dubious, as their main purpose is to go undetected by close scrutiny while engaging a distant target. Makes perfect sense in war, on a stereotypical run, less so.
Nemo
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 31 2012, 04:36 PM) *
Woodland Green Outfits in the Desert?

Must be the Canadian Armed Forces.

Since the Assault Rifle looks like a FAMAS, I think they are french army.
_Pax._
And when you're not moving, it's the ghillie suit that's concealing you - not your use of infiltration. It simply does not matter that you made the disguise roll before getting in position ... it's still the skill that applies to that aspect of concealing yourself.

• Disguise is how you choose where to hide, and how you blend in with that place.
  • Infiltration is how you GET THERE without being seen while en route.

Both skills are required to be a good, concealed sniper. But once in position, it's all on that Disguise skill.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 31 2012, 11:55 AM) *
That 2nd image is just awesome... Must be a Marine. smile.gif

I forget where the second one is from. First one is from the Army Sniper School at Fort Bennet. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Nemo @ May 31 2012, 09:02 AM) *
Since the Assault Rifle looks like a FAMAS, I think they are french army.

Leave it to the French... smile.gif
_Pax._
.... further, the Wiki page for the FAMAS ...? Shows images of the French "27th Alpine Rangers" in Afghanistan.

In woodland-green BDUs.

/facepalm
VykosDarkSoul
So, to bring things around a bit, to the OP...the general consensus seems to be that you would use infiltration to get to the point and disguise to remain hidden while shooting, of course, discuss with your GM who will make the final call (unless you are the GM of course).

As for the circular arguments....yeah, you might say its an almost normal occurrence. nyahnyah.gif
almost normal
QUOTE (Aerospider @ May 30 2012, 03:58 AM) *
So a character with maxed out Infiltration and no Disguise is invisible when running through the shadows but soon as he stops moving he's easily spotted?

I don't buy it. A sniper using a concealed position without wearing any specially-crafted camouflage is hiding. And there's nothing illogical about using Agility for this - the muscle-control that got you to the position is also what's going to keep you motionless in what is in all likelihood a compact and uncomfortable pose.

The process of infiltrating is clearly intended to be abstract, or at the very least abstractable. Sneaking past a guard will often mean stopping several times rather than being in constant motion. Is it sensible that a Disguise roll be made each time followed by a fresh Infiltration roll? Are the GM and player to work out exactly how many times they have to stop and make these rolls?

This.

The consensus is that disguise is used for making ghillie suits, or otherwise hiding in plain sight, where infiltration is used for everything else.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Aerospider @ May 30 2012, 02:58 AM) *
So a character with maxed out Infiltration and no Disguise is invisible when running through the shadows but soon as he stops moving he's easily spotted?

Yes.

Look at Chameleons, octupie, and other "masters of camoflage" in the real world: their abilities generally DO require that they stay absolutely still.

The process of infiltrating is clearly intended to be abstract, or at the very least abstractable. Sneaking past a guard will often mean stopping several times rather than being in constant motion.

It'll generally mean stopping somewhere completely out of the guard's LOS - so that NONE of your own body is visible.

Disguise would let you stop somewhere in the guard's LOS, where they CAN see your body ... but won't recognise it for what it is.
almost normal
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 31 2012, 12:35 PM) *
Yes.

Look at Chameleons, octupie, and other "masters of camoflage" in the real world: their abilities generally DO require that they stay absolutely still.

Looking at the chameleon suit in SR, it imposes a negative penalty to perception, and requires no disguise roll. This is both telling, and supportive of the consensus position.

VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 10:47 AM) *
Looking at the chameleon suit in SR, it imposes a negative penalty to perception, and requires no disguise roll. This is both telling, and supportive of the consensus position.

Not really, as perception plays into both detecting Infiltration AND disguise.

Edit: (sorry, hit post to soon) The point i was trying to make is that the Chameleon suit doesnt have a significant sway either way, since it effects all things the same in the discussion.
_Pax._
The chameleon suit is essentially an expert system that is doing the Disguise work FOR you.

Also, yours is not "the consensus position".
almost normal
Yes, it is. It's also the only position supported by the rules. Handy, that.

If the chammy suit was doing the disguise work for the character, then it'd give a bonus to the disguise skill, much like a smartlink gives a bonus to the firing of a weapon. Instead, it imposes a negative perception modifier to a target, which again, reinforces the consensus position.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 10:56 AM) *
Yes, it is. It's also the only position supported by the rules. Handy, that.

If the chammy suit was doing the disguise work for the character, then it'd give a bonus to the disguise skill, much like a smartlink gives a bonus to the firing of a weapon. Instead, it imposes a negative perception modifier to a target, which again, reinforces the consensus position.

Except, oh , wait, yeah...it doesnt add anything to your infiltration roll either, which means your argument not only doesnt hold water, it leaks like a sieve.
_Pax._
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 11:56 AM) *
Yes, it is.

A consensus of ... what? Two?

Opposed by a consensus of, what ... at least five?

Funny how that works.

It's also the only position supported by the rules. Handy, that.

Your is supported by HALF the rules. Ours, by all of it.

funny how that works, too.

When moving, it gives the bonus to the Infiltration roll. When staying still, it replaces (or perhaps gives a bonus to) the Disguise roll. Funny how THAT works, too!!
Umidori
I'd actually say it bonuses the Disguise roll, because crouching in one particular spot might superior to another spot. For example, standing in front of a seam between two highly contrasting walls, the chameleon suit would display that seam as best it could, but from various angles that seam would look uneven, making you much more noticeable.

If you have no intuitive grasp for things like that (represented by having a poor Disguise skill), you might plop down in front of that wall seam and think nothing of it because you assume your chameleon suit will keep you hidden, unaware of the limits of forced perspective in even the best chameleon system.

~Umi
almost normal
You seem angry. You probably shouldn't post when your angry, it comes across pretty poorly.

Regardless, the consensus position has the support of the rules, while your opinion makes infiltration either useless, or effectively cost twice as much with, by your opinion's, necessary purchase of disguise as well. Thankfully, your opinion isn't supported by the rules.

Funny how that works, huh? smile.gif

P.S.

Pet peeve, but is there any reason to actually type out "what"? I mean, besides for the whole primmadonna drama thing. I understand trying to be overly dramatic, but actually typing out 'what' just seems positively silly. Maybe that's just me though. smile.gif
almost normal
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 31 2012, 01:10 PM) *
I'd actually say it bonuses the Disguise roll, because crouching in one particular spot might superior to another spot. For example, standing in front of a seam between two highly contrasting walls, the chameleon suit would display that seam as best it could, but from various angles that seam would look uneven, making you much more noticeable.

If you have no intuitive grasp for things like that (represented by having a poor Disguise skill), you might plop down in front of that wall seam and think nothing of it, assuming your chameleon suit will keep you hidden, despite the physical limitations of forced perspective.

~Umi

If it did, that'd support your position, and you'd be completely valid in pointing that out. As it stands currently, the RAW support the consensus position however.
Umidori
"You seem angry. Excellent, I've been purposefully inflamatory in the hopes I'd annoy you to the point that you'd potentially slip up so I can leap on your anger and make an ad hominem attack, and maybe even point out a one-off logical flaw you might accidentally make when restating your prior arguments for the umpteenth time while frustrated with my incendiary tactics.

This is why you shouldn't argue with me. You don't know how to argue like a pro."

~almost normal
Umidori
Okay, one last time.

Disguise is used when taking on a false appearance of any kind.
Infiltration is used when you are not visible due to being out of line of sight.

Disguise is used when you're hiding in plain sight.
Infiltration is used when you're sneaking where people aren't looking.

~Umi
almost normal
For the record, I was saying Pax was angry. You're usually pretty even keel Umi.

While I might be trained at the collegiate level to argue like a pro, I usually argue like a dick. It's way more fun.
_Pax._
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 01:10 PM) *
[...] the consensus position [...]

Your interpretation is not "the consensus position". More people in this thread disagree with you, than agree. That's pretty much th opposite of "being the consensus position".
Aerospider
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 31 2012, 05:35 PM) *
Yes.

That's not pertinent to my post at all. I didn't mention camouflage, nor did the text I quoted and nor did the OP. IMO the camouflage issue has been a major tangent to the original question at hand and doesn't interest me personally so I'm staying right out of it.

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 31 2012, 05:35 PM) *
It'll generally mean stopping somewhere completely out of the guard's LOS - so that NONE of your own body is visible.

Disguise would let you stop somewhere in the guard's LOS, where they CAN see your body ... but won't recognise it for what it is.

Bar the words "completely" and "NONE" this seems to pretty much concur with my position, so cool.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 31 2012, 10:20 AM) *
Your interpretation is not "the consensus position". More people in this thread disagree with you, than agree. That's pretty much th opposite of "being the consensus position".

Yeah, that cannot be quoted enough. Consensus generally indicates a Majority.
Darksong
It seems there's actually only a small degree of disagreement, and that comes into play in the case of someone who, without the use of any character-generated camouflage, intends to remain unseen by hiding out of sight such as, for example, behind an obstacle.

This would require knowledge of lines of sight and human perception (which are the types of things that fall within—or at least reasonably close to—the skills covered by disguise) as well as fine motor skills and coordination to avoid sudden movements or noises that would give away your location (which are the things covered by infiltration)

Personally, in a situation like that, I'd use infiltration, but it seems like an issue on which reasonable people can differ.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Aerospider @ May 31 2012, 01:23 PM) *
That's not pertinent to my post at all. I didn't mention camouflage, nor did the text I quoted and nor did the OP.

You asked a question. I answered it.

With very good camoflage - i.e., a very good roll of Disguise (or a mechanical substitute, like a chameleon suit or properly-chosen camoflage pattern clothing) - yes, you CAN in fact be completely invisible while motionless, and then be completely, sore-thumb obvious when moving.

IMO the camouflage issue has been a major tangent to the original question at hand and doesn't interest me personally so I'm staying right out of it.

Camoflage-or-not is the core of the discussion at hand. It's the question of "how do you remain hidden while not moving around" ... the answer to which is "camoflage".

Aerospider
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 06:16 PM) *
I usually argue like a dick. It's way more fun.

At which admission, all others can happily ignore anything you say and instead pursue a discourse that is enjoyable and enlightening for all. Do say if you grow up and want back in.
almost normal
Oh, no doubt. It's the way the human mind works. I've mentally labeled several people on these boards as complete dunces long ago, and most of their posts I inherently assume are wrong. If you want to mentally label me a dunce because I don't take internet arguments on roleplaying games to be matters of life and death? Go for it. I'd probably be better off without the interaction.
Warlordtheft
Never thought that completely through about disguise and infiltration. ALmost reminds me of the hide and move silently from D&D 3.5 and earlier.

My thought on this:

For a sniper to be spotted a person must equal or exceed in a perception+intuition test versus infiltration+agility.
The disguise only comes into play for normal and lowlight vision, and adds (or subtracts from the perciever) a number of dice equal to the number of successes generated in the disguise test. I've begun to run it as bonus for the hider rather than a penalty for the spotter. But based on RAW for the chameleon suits -6 modifier it should probably be a penalty to the spotter. However, the disguise check would no effect if the spotter has thermographic, ultrasound, detect guns/metas etc etc. It is really of limitied utility in the age of Cyber eyes with all sorts of bells and wistles and non visual based sensors.

So in the OP's case lets just assume that he has 3's in all S&A involved as well as the spotter/runners. Sniper has 2 successes on infiltration (from a dice pool of 6), and 2 on disguise (ditto). The runners being sniped then make their perception roll with 4 dice (6 Skills and Attributes, -2 for the disguise. Except for the street same which is using thermographics, who rolls 9 dice (6 dice + 3 for vision enhancement). Next round the street same can roll 12 dice due to the bonuses for actively searcing.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 11:41 AM) *
Oh, no doubt. It's the way the human mind works. I've mentally labeled several people on these boards as complete dunces long ago, and most of their posts I inherently assume are wrong. If you want to mentally label me a dunce because I don't take internet arguments on roleplaying games to be matters of life and death? Go for it. I'd probably be better off without the interaction.

I do have one question, and that is that if you have mentally labeled several people, and thus inherently assume they are wrong, are you not being a complete dunce yourself? One should always read something with an open mind and consider the facts and theories presented before making a desicion, so as not to play the fool. There have been times when I have agreed with some peoples posts, and others when i did not. I dont hold anything against them personally, because most of them understand that. I just get bent out of shape a little when someone is being purposefully inflamitory for the sole purpose of starting a devovling argument on what is essentialy a board to share and discuss ideas for a game. Your right, this isnt life and death serious, however, the point of a game is to play and have fun, not to start arguments because you can.
Aerospider
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 31 2012, 06:29 PM) *
You asked a question. I answered it.

Not with any of that Discovery Channel talk you didn't. I wasn't in any way asking in the context of something that changes colour to blend in.

With very good camoflage - i.e., a very good roll of Disguise (or a mechanical substitute, like a chameleon suit or properly-chosen camoflage pattern clothing) - yes, you CAN in fact be completely invisible while motionless, and then be completely, sore-thumb obvious when moving.

I never said anything to the contrary.

Camoflage-or-not is the core of the discussion at hand. It's the question of "how do you remain hidden while not moving around" ... the answer to which is "camoflage".

No, it's the louder of two discussions at hand that split from a single discussion quite far back now. I thought it obvious that I was not querying any aspect of using camouflage, but if it wasn't consider it stated categorically here. Camouflage is not the only answer to being hidden while stationary.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ May 31 2012, 11:42 AM) *
Never thought that completely through about disguise and infiltration. ALmost reminds me of the hide and move silently from D&D 3.5 and earlier.

My thought on this:

For a sniper to be spotted a person must equal or exceed in a perception+intuition test versus infiltration+agility.
The disguise only comes into play for normal and lowlight vision, and adds (or subtracts from the perciever) a number of dice equal to the number of successes generated in the disguise test. However, the disguise check would have no bearing on tests related to thermographic, ultrasound, detect guns/metas etc etc. It is really of limitied utility in the age of Cyber eyes, and non visual based sensors.

Except that even in the age of cybereyes, there are ways around these as well...thermal dampening for thermographics, ultrasound is only so good as the image it gives you back, and camo can be used to break up your outlite, hard and soft. MAD detectors are easy to get around (not cheap, but easy) with ceramics, etc
almost normal
QUOTE (VykosDarkSoul @ May 31 2012, 01:47 PM) *
I do have one question, and that is that if you have mentally labeled several people, and thus inherently assume they are wrong, are you not being a complete dunce yourself? One should always read something with an open mind and consider the facts and theories presented before making a desicion, so as not to play the fool. There have been times when I have agreed with some peoples posts, and others when i did not. I dont hold anything against them personally, because most of them understand that. I just get bent out of shape a little when someone is being purposefully inflamitory for the sole purpose of starting a devovling argument on what is essentialy a board to share and discuss ideas for a game. Your right, this isnt life and death serious, however, the point of a game is to play and have fun, not to start arguments because you can.

You assume intention. I was never inflammatory, certainly not intentionally so. What I posted was an attack on a position, as opposed to a person. This isn't only supported by the rules of the forum, it's encouraged.

You're right though, It could do me a bit of good to be more open minded.
Aerospider
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 31 2012, 06:41 PM) *

Oh I don't consider you a dunce - it hasn't crossed my mind to even wonder.
It's the selfish and anti-social disregard for others in a communal endeavor that undermines you.
almost normal
frown.gif
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (VykosDarkSoul @ May 31 2012, 12:50 PM) *
Except that even in the age of cybereyes, there are ways around these as well...thermal dampening for thermographics, ultrasound is only so good as the image it gives you back, and camo can be used to break up your outlite, hard and soft. MAD detectors are easy to get around (not cheap, but easy) with ceramics, etc

I'm just focusing on disguise, if he has a thermal dampner yeah that would apply, as is the mad avoidance. For the ultrasound, that is a GM call. My personal opinion is no cause the way ultrasound works it would mean the diguise would have to match the envorment exactly and one little shift means you'd no longer be in sync exactly with the enviroment. Also you'd might have the blackhole effect where you can see everything but this big dark mass where the person is cause the sound waves are not bouncing back.
_Pax._
The trick with Ultrasound, would be to try and match the sound-reflective qualities of the material you're hiding in/on/etc. Not so dofficult in gras and leafy undergrowth. A bit harder in a pile of concrete-and-rebar rubble.

Honestly, I think the perception penalties for Camoflage and Chameleon suits are way too high, to the point they cheapen and even elminate the point of Disguise (Camoflage). I think I might like to take them from -4 and -6 respectively, down to -2 and -4.

Umidori
That might not be so bad, although you'd probably want to do a comprehensive altering of all sorts of perception modifiers, including silencers and whatnot.

But then again, remember that a mage can make someone literally Invisible with relative ease - replacing a perception check with a willpower test. Tech should be able to compete at least somewhat. In fact, scratch that. It doesn't REPLACE the perception check, it actually adds a willpower test on TOP of it, because even if you see through the illusion the person might still be infiltrating well enough to avoid being detected normally.

~Umi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012