Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Errata Side Chatter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Flaser
QUOTE (Brutus PI @ Jul 11 2013, 11:11 AM) *
Not actual rule/spelling error but the last two huge horizontal scenery images of the PDF is really messing up some PDF readers like Preview in OS X.

This makes all other pages to scale down to really tiny size. I can naturally zoom in but that is just dump. Documents like these really should pick a page size and stick to it. Putting different sized pages is really bad layout decision unless you want to piss off your reader. Some PDF-readers will get around this but not all. I was able to remove the last pages with PDF editor program which is really the only way to fix the PDF.

Please fix the layout issue. Remove the last pages (and publish them separately) or at least rotate them and choose the same width as the other pages.

...and bookmarks! AFAIK, modern PDF editors/publishing tools can automate Bookmark generation. What the hell Catalyst?!
IMHO the *best* feature of pdfs, allowing the reader to quickly browse the document *without* having to manually look things up in the TOC.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 11 2013, 06:02 AM) *
As mentioned in the other thread, our best guess is this is some sort of formatting error, an earlier version being released on accident, etc, etc. I've emailed and PM'ed folks about the problems with this DTRPG pdf, to let 'em know, and I'm sure once folks wake up some kind of ball will start rollin'. I let 'em know about the images in the back and the bookmarks thing.

Our layout guy loves doing layout too much, I can't imagine a non-bookmarked copy being our "final," y'know? Several of the reviewers commented about how nice the bookmarks were on their pdf copies, so this just has to be some kind of screw-up. It'll get fixed.

Wait, they seriously released the PDF without bookmarks.

Jesus, man, no offense to the authors, but can anyone else at Catlyst find their ass with both hands, a map, a spotter, and the National Guard on standby?
Slacker
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 11 2013, 08:15 AM) *
Wait, they seriously released the PDF without bookmarks.

Jesus, man, no offense to the authors, but can anyone else at Catlyst find their ass with both hands, a map, a spotter, and the National Guard on standby?

All signs point to this being the fault of Drivethru, not Catalyst. The official release is supposedly going to be at noon PST and will include info on the hard copy pre-orders.

It seems like Drivethru released an earlier copy that was not meant for widespread release.
Stahlseele
Well, you saw the previews right?
Did the previews have bookmarks?
Also, you can see why there are no bookmarks.
Layoutprogramm ist Adobe CS 6, Mac und der Eintrag "PDF mit Tags" steht auf NEIN

Quote from one of the germans who bought it already . .
Translation:
Layouttool is Adobe CS6, Mac and the Entry "PDF with Tags" is set to NO
binarywraith
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 11 2013, 08:20 AM) *

Quote from one of the germans who bought it already . .
Translation:
Layouttool is Adobe CS6, Mac and the Entry "PDF with Tags" is set to NO

rotfl.gif
Stahlseele
i kinda don't believe that it's the fault of drive through RPG.
they don't decide which version to release do they?
they release what they get from CGL.
so if this is the wrong version, somebody gave them that.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Brutus PI @ Jul 11 2013, 04:11 AM) *
This makes all other pages to scale down to really tiny size. I can naturally zoom in but that is just dump.

That's not just OSX. I had that problem with a D&D module (the playmat map at the end of the book was 22" wide...compared to the standard page's 8.5"

...I think I'm just going to report that as a bug to adobe...
Temperance
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 11 2013, 06:49 AM) *
That's not just OSX. I had that problem with a D&D module (the playmat map at the end of the book was 22" wide...compared to the standard page's 8.5"

...I think I'm just going to report that as a bug to adobe...

I had the same issue with the SR5 pdf using pdf xchange viewer. The weird formatting caused other problems too, like left and right arrows to navigate pages stopped working. Instead it shifted the page left and right incrementally.

-Temperance
Draco18s
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 11 2013, 09:32 AM) *
I had the same issue with the SR5 pdf using pdf xchange viewer. The weird formatting caused other problems too, like left and right arrows to navigate pages stopped working. Instead it shifted the page left and right incrementally.

Yup.
DWC
Weird. It works great in Goodreader for iOS. Then again, Goodreader is the Honey Badger of PDF viewers.
Temperance
QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 11 2013, 06:35 AM) *
Weird. It works great in Goodreader for iOS. Then again, Goodreader is the Honey Badger of PDF viewers.

So much this. The only issue I've had with Goodreader was an odd work related one. The pdf works fine on a desktop or laptop. Once it gets into Goodreader, the white background turns blue, the page borders (of various colors) turn bright red, and the text remains black. It makes it a bit hard to read. :/ None of my other viewers will even open it. I just stopped reading that pdf on my ipad at work. <shrug> Oh, and it occasionally tells me a random pdf is bad, even though it's read that same pdf without error a bajillion times before. (Bajillion is my technical term for large numbers without count. grinbig.gif )

-Temperance
Draco18s
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 11 2013, 10:15 AM) *
(Bajillion is my technical term for large numbers without count. grinbig.gif )

It is for most people.
Like 40 was for the ancient Israelites.
Temperance
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 11 2013, 07:17 AM) *
It is for most people.
Like 40 was for the ancient Israelites.

Oh man, thinking in cubits makes my head hurt. I bet people feel the same about feet, yards, and miles (US) have the same issue when they are used to working in metric.

-Temperance
Flaser
QUOTE (Slacker @ Jul 11 2013, 03:19 PM) *
All signs point to this being the fault of Drivethru, not Catalyst. The official release is supposedly going to be at noon PST and will include info on the hard copy pre-orders.

It seems like Drivethru released an earlier copy that was not meant for widespread release.

I've just checked, hoping for an update, and noticed that DriveThrough pulled the SR5 Corebook from their shop, indicating a screwup of some sort on their part. Access to my copy remains, but no-update yet. Will post when they fix this.
Draco18s
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 11 2013, 11:12 AM) *
Typo : Page 54

"Emergeed individuals"

Emergeed, gersberms!
Draco18s
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 11 2013, 11:33 AM) *
Are we agreed that this was not intended to be in print?

I believe so.
Stahlseele
Depends on who's story you buy.
According to somebody on the official german shadowrun board, they had a talk with one reviewer who had asked JMH about this who, according to this chain of other people, said that the 50% more on everything was correct.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 11 2013, 11:58 AM) *
Depends on who's story you buy.
According to somebody on the official german shadowrun board, they had a talk with one reviewer who had asked JMH about this who, according to this chain of other people, said that the 50% more on everything was correct.

*Faceclaw*
Draco18s
QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 11 2013, 01:04 PM) *
This thread. I'm sure Patrick Goodman is keeping a more complete list, but that won't be publicly available until if and when CGL decides to publish it.

FTFY nyahnyah.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 11 2013, 04:20 PM) *

But as Critias said some previews even praised the good bookmarks, so if all of them wheren't being sarcastic there does exist a version with bookmarks.
cndblank
Withdrawn
Tzeentch
If you got the version posted early, it may not have bookmarks. The one I just re-downloaded from DTRPG does have bookmarks.
cndblank
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jul 11 2013, 02:20 PM) *
Did you leave of part of the quote here, because that atleast doesn't say what you claim it does.

I must need glasses.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Withdrawn.
fenrishero
I suspect I already know the answer, but is the option to do char-gen "out of order" like in 4th still an official rule? I don't see anything concrete one way or the other.

In other words, can you buy and install essence affecting gear before selecting magical affinity in order to bypass the loss of current magic attribute? Since the magical traits are no longer qualities but a specific part of char gen, I suspect the answer is no.
binarywraith
QUOTE (fenrishero @ Jul 11 2013, 04:02 PM) *
I suspect I already know the answer, but is the option to do char-gen "out of order" like in 4th still an official rule? I don't see anything concrete one way or the other.

In other words, can you buy and install essence affecting gear before selecting magical affinity in order to bypass the loss of current magic attribute? Since the magical traits are no longer qualities but a specific part of char gen, I suspect the answer is no.

Answer is, as far as I'm aware, no.

As a GM, the answer at my table would be 'HELL NO', with a side of 'please stop trying to abuse the character creation rules'.
fenrishero
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 11 2013, 09:03 PM) *
Answer is, as far as I'm aware, no.

As a GM, the answer at my table would be 'HELL NO', with a side of 'please stop trying to abuse the character creation rules'.

Well the abuse is largely gone, now that Bioware's cost isn't stupidly low, (back of the envelope calculations seem to show it's now an even trade, which are the best two words when it comes to char creation, if you ask me), but I was more wondering because one of my favorite chars from 4th was a Chaos Magician who had a small amount of ware for flavor purposes (A couple data jacks, a nano-tat and baseline cybereyes), since it didn't hurt him mechanically to be out that fraction of an essence point.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (fenrishero @ Jul 11 2013, 02:32 PM) *
Well the abuse is largely gone, now that Bioware's cost isn't stupidly low, (back of the envelope calculations seem to show it's now an even trade, which are the best two words when it comes to char creation, if you ask me), but I was more wondering because one of my favorite chars from 4th was a Chaos Magician who had a small amount of ware for flavor purposes (A couple data jacks, a nano-tat and baseline cybereyes), since it didn't hurt him mechanically to be out that fraction of an essence point.

Ummmmm. You do know that Mechanically, even that little bit of 'ware cost your character a full Magic Point, right?
binarywraith
Something for nothing is still something. Cyberware costs essence, which reduces magic rating. Period, full stop, end of story.
fenrishero
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 11 2013, 09:37 PM) *
Ummmmm. You do know that Mechanically, even that little bit of 'ware cost your character a full Magic Point, right?

Mechanically, in 4th, you lose the maximum magic point. However, you don't gain a penalty to future Magic point acquisition. I.e. if you have 5.0 essence with 1.0 essence of ware, and then get turned into a ghoul, that character would now have a max magic stat of 4, a current magic stat of 1, and would only need to pay 10 karma to advance the magic stat to 2.

Also, I'm not saying it's not a rule hack, but I will note I saw it noted as legal on this site.
Redjack
In the interest of keeping the errata thread a little more concise, posts ejected from there are being moved to this thread.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jul 11 2013, 04:26 PM) *
In the interest of keeping the errata thread a little more concise, posts ejected from there are being moved to this thread.

Posts get ejected? Awesome. smile.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jul 12 2013, 12:26 AM) *

maybe the errata thread should either be stickied or added to the list of dumpshock important links then?
Jaid
QUOTE (fenrishero @ Jul 11 2013, 04:52 PM) *
Mechanically, in 4th, you lose the maximum magic point. However, you don't gain a penalty to future Magic point acquisition. I.e. if you have 5.0 essence with 1.0 essence of ware, and then get turned into a ghoul, that character would now have a max magic stat of 4, a current magic stat of 1, and would only need to pay 10 karma to advance the magic stat to 2.

Also, I'm not saying it's not a rule hack, but I will note I saw it noted as legal on this site.

err... no. mechanically, you lose a point of maximum *and* current.

this is from SR4 Anniversary edition, page 177:

"Anything that reduces a character’s Essence will also reduce Magic.
For every point (or fraction thereof ) of Essence lost, the character’s
Magic attribute and her Magic maximum rating are reduced by one.
A character with a Magic of 4, for example, whose Essence is reduced
to 5.8 has her Magic immediately reduced to 3 and her maximum to 5.
Further Essence reductions do not reduce the character’s Magic again
until Essence drops below 5."

this is from page 164 of version 1.3, which is the earliest that i still have:

"Anything that reduces a character’s Essence will also reduce
Magic. For every point (or fraction thereof ) of Essence
lost, the character’s Magic attribute and her Magic maximum
rating are reduced by one. A character with a Magic of 4, for
example, whose Essence is reduced to 5.8 has her Magic immediately
reduced to 3 and her maximum to 5. Further Essence
reductions do not reduce the character’s Magic again until
Essence drops below 5."

(which says basically the same thing).

i don't particularly want to dig up the rules for resonance as well, but since i'm already here:

(page 232 SR4 v 1.3), "Implants and Resonance":

"As with Magic, cyberware and bioware limit Resonance. To
determine the severity of this impediment, take any reductions
from Essence due to cyberware and/or bioware implants (see p.
62) and round up to the nearest whole number. Th is amount is
deducted from the technomancer’s Resonance."

page 239 of SR4A says the same thing (same heading):

"As with Magic, cyberware and bioware limit Resonance. To determine
the severity of this impediment, take any reductions from Essence due
to cyberware and/or bioware implants (p. 68) and round up to the
nearest whole number. This amount is deducted from the technomancer’s
Resonance."

if anything, this is the exact opposite of what you described; current resonance is reduced, but not (technically) maximum resonance, although i suspect that's an oversight.

in any event, essence loss in SR4 reduced current values of magic/resonance, and there was never an option to change the order of character generation to get around that in any way that i am aware of.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Thanks Jaid... Really did not want to look that up myself, and the point needed to be made. Any Essence loss results in Magic/Resonance loss. Unlike in SR2/SR3 where you could just take a Geas to keep it at its current value. smile.gif
Korwin
Maybe ist allready in the thread... anyway...

Karma cost for Skill-Groups?
You can buy up the whole Skill-Group right?
Korwin
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 15 2013, 07:47 PM) *
Page 106

Active Skill Groups cost new Rating x 5 to raise and
can only be raised by 1 rating per downtime.

Thanks, found it now (but ist on 107 wink.gif )
Valerian
There is no indication about the price and availability of autosoft for vehicule/drone in the whole book.
redwulf25
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 15 2013, 04:26 PM) *
that sounds correct, but why is it in the errata thread?

If it's intended that a character can ONLY get spells, not rituals or alchemical preparations for their high Magic Priority rating then that's just moronic. Getting house ruled out in any of my games and really think it needs corrected in errata.
Mäx
QUOTE (redwulf25 @ Jul 16 2013, 12:42 AM) *
If it's intended that a character can ONLY get spells, not rituals or alchemical preparations for their high Magic Priority rating then that's just moronic. Getting house ruled out in any of my games and really think it needs corrected in errata.

Thats unlikely to be intended, i personally atleast just read the spells entry as catch all for all 3 types.
Elve
double post
Mäx
Hilarious that you call nerfing the allready inferior streetsams "balancing".
redwulf25
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 15 2013, 04:59 PM) *
it isn't really specified, but the table for step 7 which tells you how you can spend bonus karma lists 'spells' as an option and then goes on to mention the maximum number of spells/rituals/preparations known at character creation. given the only way rituals and preparations could be a non-zero value is if "spells" includes those other options.

so i suppose that part might be a bit vague, and considering you could start play as an awakened character that only has the ability to use rituals/preparations, that should probably be clarified.

I presumed that's what the poster who originally started this tangent was confused about, the fact that it only states spells. And I read the statement that I was replying to as agreeing that yes, you can only get spells with that not rituals or alchemical preparations.
redwulf25
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 15 2013, 05:51 PM) *
1) Prices didn't really change. They've always been this way. *waves hand like a jedi doing a mind trick* And you'll note prices for most things didn't change from 4-5. We just rebalanced 'ware, for the most part.

You unbalanced 'ware.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jul 15 2013, 04:58 PM) *
Hilarious that you call nerfing the allready inferior streetsams "balancing".

Street samurai where by no means inferior in SR4. In most games I played, adepts where purely regulated to flavor builds, or occasionally social adepts. One of the games I played in, we where using many of my house rules that significantly increased the power of adepts. One of the players actually said the house rules made him want to play an adept, and he did so for a while. His next character, a samurai, was still stronger.

While the cost increase of 'ware (particularly combat augmentations) is annoying, it is still entirely justified.
quentra
Adepts sucked in SR4, and even the Ways were a welcome help. In 5, it seems they're strictly superior than a comparably built samurai, which is the issue. Ware costing retardedly-high prices doesn't help that discrepancy.
Falconer
Guys, don't derail an ERRATA thread...

Good to see you back Muspellsheimr
redwulf25
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 15 2013, 08:58 PM) *
Guys, don't derail an ERRATA thread...

Good to see you back Muspellsheimr

The cost of 'ware needs to be lowered in errata because it's currently unbalanced. There, on topic.

I'll even give a demonstration.

Wired reflexes 1 have more drawbacks than Improved Reflexes. They can be bricked, they reduce your essence, they show up on cyberware scanners, etc. They cost 39,000 Nuyen.

Unless I buggered my math a Qi focus strong enough to give an adept the equivalent ability is 18,000 Nuyen.

The inferior product costs more than twice as much.
Tycho
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 16 2013, 12:06 AM) *
Honestly, it's not really necessary. Shadowrun has traditionally used "Modern to Future currency equivalents" for mundane stuff. A $5 drink costs 5 Nuyen in Shadowrun (Keeping in mind it's $5 UCAS for 1 Nuyen in SR, more or less, so that accounts for inflation smile.gif ).

And there's only so much room in the book.

Well How come the Lifestyles are so damn expensive then, because I think someone living a Low Lifestyle nowadays would be really happy to have 2000$ a month
Redjack
The ERRATA THREAD should only have ERRATA. If you wish to post questions, snarky ass comments or other assorted crap, post it in any of the dozen threads already created or create a new one.

Thank you,
The Management.
phlapjack77
I'm not digging the layout of this pdf. Even with bookmarks, it's hard to find the exact content I'm looking for. There are a lot of times where the tables for the text are 1 and 2 pages later in the pdf, and the text is flowed all crazily around some tables, which makes it confusing as to what exactly matches with what (prime example for me is bodyware text/bodyware table/bone plating table).

Also I wonder if the page count is so high because it seems like so many more examples stuffed into the text, along with a larger margin meaning fewer words on page. I was looking at the SR4A pdf, and there just seems like there's more (rules) text per page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012