Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealed carry
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
FuelDrop
You're not on the run all the time and most runners can't carry their prized Ares Alpha with them at all times, in spite of what they wish was the case. None the less Runners move in dangerous circles and having a weapon close to hand can be the difference between life and death.

So, what weapon/armour loadout do your runners carry when off the job?

Zero favors a smart, silenced Colt Agent Special as her concealed carry of choice, generally loaded with S&S rounds and carrying a spare clip each of S&S and APDS. While on paper that just looks like an inferior taser with a large mag capacity, Zero's skill with semi-automatic pistols means that she's more comfortable with it than the more legal and effective Defiance EX Shocker.

Of course when she goes somewhere a bit rougher out comes the lined coat, which those that know her well will tell you is hiding a sawnoff shotgun. She's good enough at hiding it that short of giving her a pat-down the first sign she's packing heat is generally the distinctive click of a pump action. And yes she does load it with shot because if you've gone and forced her to draw a shotgun play time is over.

Her weapon of last resort is her hand razors, and while she's skilled enough with them the fact is that even with her augmentations she's not really got that much strength behind the blow. Still, if it's come to the point when she needs to use them then things have already gone to hell in a hand basket.
psychophipps
To be honest, you can carry a lot if you're smart about it. I carried a full-size Glock 17, two 17-round magazines, a 3.5-inch fixed blade knife, and a 2 and 3/8-inch fixed blade knife almost every waking moment for two months in OWB (Outside the WaistBand) rigs before my wife realized that I had my CHL. The only reason why I got "outed" was the fact that she surprised me with a trip to the Federal building were carrying in illegal so I had to put the gun under my front seat while she was in the car. My concealment garments were a 5.11 "shoot me first!" vest or a heavy-weight green flannel shirt. Check out ScottEVest for even better options for packing tons of stuff on the down-low.
DMiller
My hacker infiltrator is usually wearing either her Form Fitting or Second Skin and carrying her taser. Of course she is also a (non-standard) vampire and Adept, so there is that too. smile.gif
Rubic
Gummy always has candies on her person. smile.gif

And, let's face it, the best choice on or off the run is the Ingram Smartgun X, a powerful choice right out of packaging, and now available stock in a variety of patterns and colors to match EVERY outfit and ANY engagement, and with a plethora of available modifications for all but the most adamant gun-hater! Stop by your gun shop and demand the Ingram Smartgun X that's right for you!

Ingram, your first best choice, made to last!
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Rubic @ Mar 4 2014, 12:50 PM) *
Gummy always has candies on her person. smile.gif

And, let's face it, the best choice on or off the run is the Ingram Smartgun X, a powerful choice right out of packaging, and now available stock in a variety of patterns and colors to match EVERY outfit and ANY engagement, and with a plethora of available modifications for all but the most adamant gun-hater! Stop by your gun shop and demand the Ingram Smartgun X that's right for you!

Ingram, your first best choice, made to last!

Meh, I prefer to Trust The Legend ™

Also, I think that half of Jackpoint has an Ares fetish so best of luck convincing them...
Rubic
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 3 2014, 11:55 PM) *
Meh, I prefer to Trust The Legend ™

Also, I think that half of Jackpoint has an Ares fetish so best of luck convincing them...

(cue scenes revolving around a cabin in the hills) There's quite a few legends out there. Some true, like sasquatch, some still yet to be proven. (clip of an eagle flying overhead) When a professional is out in the field, though, (rugged old man, stubble on a strong, set jaw and a thousand-mile stare) what he needs is more than tall tales. He needs something he can hold on to, something he knows won't let him down. (a Grizzly pops through the treeline and charges the man, who levels a stylized rifle... BANG! Bear staggers a few steps and tumbles over from the inertia of its charge, tranq dart sticking out of its neck).

Remington. Make your OWN legends.
thorya
When I played (rather than GM'd), my characters always carried stun ball, control actions, invisibility, ignite (a mean spell for a nasty surprise if you have time), and physical barrier with him or her as their concealed carry weapons for everyday use.

Except for my demo expert. He had an armored jacket lined with C4, several frag grenades, and many slap patches of cram. But he was less concerned with his own safety and more concerned with his next hit and making sure no one ever took him alive.
Rubic
Today, we live in a complicated world (clips staged in various "Touristvilles" around the globe, showing gangs troubling the streets). A world bereft of refinement and comfort. (cut to classic "MIB have arrived" shot, displaying people in suits carrying various guns, including the Sakura Fubuki. Cut to "Open Fire" as the muzzle flare fades to the logo).

Yamaha. Simply elegant solutions for a complicated world.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (thorya @ Mar 4 2014, 01:06 PM) *
When I played (rather than GM'd), my characters always carried stun ball, control actions, invisibility, ignite (a mean spell for a nasty surprise if you have time), and physical barrier with him or her as their concealed carry weapons for everyday use.

Except for my demo expert. He had an armored jacket lined with C4, several frag grenades, and many slap patches of cram. But he was less concerned with his own safety and more concerned with his next hit and making sure no one ever took him alive.

Woah there, lets not blow things out of proportion around here...
binarywraith
Given that SR5 didn't bother with giving us individual concealability ratings for guns, brand and model don't really matter much. Apparently a hogleg like the Super Warhawk or a Roomsweeper is just as easy to hide as a Predator these days.

That said, Murphy generally doesn't bother carrying a gun off the run. Most people don't pick fist fights with a troll in Armante with a gold chrome cyberarm.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Mar 4 2014, 01:29 PM) *
That said, Murphy generally doesn't bother carrying a gun off the run. Most people don't pick fist fights with a troll in Armante with a gold chrome cyberarm.

Damn cowards.
DMiller
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 4 2014, 02:37 PM) *
Damn cowards.

Naw, it's just all that chrome makes the blood taste like oil. devil.gif
KarmaInferno
Old Man Jones can kill you with his mind.

What does he need a sidearm for?

Not to say he didn't carry them anyway. Several. Including one embedded in his arm. He also has laser eyes.

Because he's Old Man Jones.

-k
FuelDrop
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 5 2014, 03:53 PM) *
Old Man Jones can kill you with his mind.

What does he need a sidearm for?

Not to say he didn't carry them anyway. Several. Including one embedded in his arm. He also has laser eyes.

Because he's Old Man Jones.

-k

I like Old Man Jones.
Xystophoroi
Defiance Ex Shocker and a spare set of taser darts.

Michael 'Mac Myddin' Walt is a professional wagemage family man. He doesn't travel in dangerous circles.

At least. That's what my SIN says.

Generally though he's not out on the mean streets unless on a run (he pays extra for enhanced security on his medium lifestyle home and lives in the nice controlled areas of town) and most encounters with armed people are with 'legitimate' law enforcement and civillians. Hence a weapon that's unlikely to escalate violence or draw legality checks.
Sengir
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 4 2014, 03:25 AM) *
You're not on the run all the time and most runners can't carry their prized Ares Alpha with them at all times, in spite of what they wish was the case.

Not an Alpha, but a Predator (not the one you take to work, of course) always goes
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Nexus (Cyberlogician) carries a Hammerli 620s.
Jenks (Occult Investigator) carries a Fichetti Security 600.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Mar 4 2014, 12:29 AM) *
Given that SR5 didn't bother with giving us individual concealability ratings for guns, brand and model don't really matter much. Apparently a hogleg like the Super Warhawk or a Roomsweeper is just as easy to hide as a Predator these days.

I miss conceal ratings, but sounds to me like murphy carries two guns with him at all times. He is a troll after all.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Mar 5 2014, 12:24 PM) *
I miss conceal ratings, but sounds to me like murphy carries two guns with him at all times. He is a troll after all.

It's more that when the local go-gang scrapes some punk of theirs up with a broken jaw, they write it off as him picking a fight he couldn't finish rather than getting pissed about bullet holes. nyahnyah.gif
Umidori
QUOTE (thorya @ Mar 3 2014, 11:06 PM) *
He had an armored jacket lined with C4, several frag grenades, and many slap patches of cram.

The first guy to use Explosive Rounds against this nutter is gonna be REAL surprised at their effectiveness.

Sympathetic detonation can easily become your worst nightmare.

~Umi
psychophipps
Probably a non-issue, really. Explosive bullets only have enough "bang" in them to consistently fragment the bullet and C4 requires you to be pretty darn intent on setting it off with specific equipment. Of course, this goes straight out the window if you want explosive bullets to "pull a Kite" so it's really up to you and your group.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Mar 9 2014, 12:08 AM) *
Probably a non-issue, really. Explosive bullets only have enough "bang" in them to consistently fragment the bullet and C4 requires you to be pretty darn intent on setting it off with specific equipment. Of course, this goes straight out the window if you want explosive bullets to "pull a Kite" so it's really up to you and your group.

Isn't C-4 detonated by an electrical current? Very likely wrong, but if so S&S rounds are going to be a lot less non-lethal around this guy.
Bigity
Wouldn't do a thing.

At least, that's my understanding. Requires a blasting cap (a shock wave). Course, I wouldn't want to test that personally.
CanRay
While I never get to play, my favorite Mr. Johnson has finally replaced his modified Browning Ultrapower with a Colt Agent Special with similar mods. Typically in a Small-Of-The-Back concealed holster, but sometimes in a shoulder rig. He also has a lot of hunting and fishing permits, which allows for a variety of interesting weapons available to him. He also keeps a SMG of whatever type he currently played with in the door holsters of his car (driver and passenger.).

Once my group met him on the docks, where a rented fishing boat was being loaded with depth charges. "What are you fishing for? My ex-wife?" "Megalodon." "Almost as vicious."
psychophipps
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 8 2014, 08:51 PM) *
While I never get to play, my favorite Mr. Johnson has finally replaced his modified Browning Ultrapower with a Colt Agent Special with similar mods. Typically in a Small-Of-The-Back concealed holster, but sometimes in a shoulder rig. He also has a lot of hunting and fishing permits, which allows for a variety of interesting weapons available to him. He also keeps a SMG of whatever type he currently played with in the door holsters of his car (driver and passenger.).

Once my group met him on the docks, where a rented fishing boat was being loaded with depth charges. "What are you fishing for? My ex-wife?" "Megalodon." "Almost as vicious."

That, my friend, is pretty damn funny. In fact, this an ex-wife joke worthy of the Hammer demonstration in Iron Man 2.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Bigity @ Mar 8 2014, 07:36 PM) *
Wouldn't do a thing.

At least, that's my understanding. Requires a blasting cap (a shock wave). Course, I wouldn't want to test that personally.

Electrically fired C4 is indeed actually detonated by a Blasting Cap. Hell, you can burn C4 to cook rations (and it does not leave that chemical aftertaste like a heat tab does). It is pretty stable stuff. smile.gif
binarywraith
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 8 2014, 09:40 PM) *
Electrically fired C4 is indeed actually detonated by a Blasting Cap. Hell, you can burn C4 to cook rations (and it does not leave that chemical aftertaste like a heat tab does). It is pretty stable stuff. smile.gif

I'd be more worried about some asshole shooting stick-and-shock. rotfl.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Mar 8 2014, 09:56 PM) *
That, my friend, is pretty damn funny. In fact, this an ex-wife joke worthy of the Hammer demonstration in Iron Man 2.
*Pfft-Thunk* "HammerTech?" "Yeah..."
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 8 2014, 10:40 PM) *
I remember hearing about dynamite charges being shaved and used for firewood in Africa during WWII.
Drace
Pretty sure you need a high intensity heat source and a electrical shockwave, so I doubt a SnS would do the trick. But could be a good excuse to have an alchemical arrow or bullet in your possession.
Sengir
QUOTE (Drace @ Mar 9 2014, 10:05 AM) *
Pretty sure you need a high intensity heat source and a electrical shockwave, so I doubt a SnS would do the trick. But could be a good excuse to have an alchemical arrow or bullet in your possession.

It's very hard to cook off safety explosives, especially when not encased in something solid where pressure can build up.
Of course, some explosives become a lot less stable depending on storage conditions, Dynamite famously could "sweat out" nitroglycerin, with obvious results...

PS: And even C4 with blasting cap attached should not be affected by SnS. It takes a certain wattage to fire the cap, tasers are not supposed to deliver that much power.
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 8 2014, 09:40 PM) *

Was going to say something similar. The new heating elements of MREs are pretty good now. Just watch out - they get hot and produce nothing but Hydrogen gas, so it becomes a little of an explosive hazard...
Umidori
QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 9 2014, 09:00 AM) *
PS: And even C4 with blasting cap attached should not be affected by SnS. It takes a certain wattage to fire the cap, tasers are not supposed to deliver that much power.

Well if you've got friggen blasting caps attached, getting shot with ANYTHING is liable to blow you up. There are even rules for this exact thing in SR4, I believe in Arsenal - if you're carrying blasting caps, any "rough handling" requires a roll to avoid setting them off.

~Umi
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2014, 04:46 AM) *
*Pfft-Thunk* "HammerTech?" "Yeah...

Funnily enough the original ending that was partially filmed had the HammerTech missile save the day.

I think they made a good decision to change the ending to the one we saw.

-k
CanRay
QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 9 2014, 11:00 AM) *
IRL, Tasers aren't designed to take down a troll, for some reason. nyahnyah.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2014, 08:25 PM) *

You still mad about the Tasers in SRR:DF? nyahnyah.gif
psychophipps
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2014, 07:25 PM) *

I don't know, I've taken down my share of trolls in-game with a Defiance EX Shocker. Just keep pulling the trigger until they drop!
CanRay
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Mar 9 2014, 07:28 PM) *
You still mad about the Tasers in SRR:DF? nyahnyah.gif
*Trashes the room like The Hulk with an empty fridge*
kzt
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 8 2014, 07:34 PM) *
Isn't C-4 detonated by an electrical current? Very likely wrong, but if so S&S rounds are going to be a lot less non-lethal around this guy.

No, it's detonated by another explosion, typically a blasting cap or detcord. The dufuses who get hired to write and edit SR have no idea what they are talking about on pretty much any topic, so in SR things explode directly from electricity. Because reasons.
FuelDrop
See, I heard somewhere that C-4 was detonated by electricity and the "fact" stuck in my head for years. Kind of like an urban myth, it lodged there until the truth came and expelled it into dark oblivion.

AKA now I know, and knowing is half the battle *GI JOE!*
Sendaz
QUOTE (kzt @ Mar 9 2014, 09:13 PM) *
No, it's detonated by another explosion, typically a blasting cap or detcord. The dufuses who get hired to write and edit SR have no idea what they are talking about on pretty much any topic, so in SR things explode directly from electricity. Because reasons.

Maybe if they brick the detonator, which according to some should in turn cause it to go snap crackle and pop spectacularly and so trigger the C4*.

wink.gif

*yes we know if you are dumb enough to have wireless fuses running when you don't need to they will get remote detonated, but the humor is still valid.
Sengir
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 10 2014, 01:25 AM) *

Blasting caps require ~250 mA minimum. If a taser with that current (or one of those 140 mm SnS shells biggrin.gif) hits anything smaller than a great dragon, that brick of C4 will be the least of your concerns wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Drace @ Mar 9 2014, 03:05 AM) *

You do not need an Electrical Detonator for C4 - Standard Detonators and fuse will work as well.
CanRay
So, Explosives are a popular choice for concealed carry? nyahnyah.gif
kzt
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 10 2014, 11:36 AM) *

I had a character who carried around a few minigrenades in her jacket pocket....
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 10 2014, 03:36 PM) *

Well, with the right packagin you could make them look like a bar of chocolat or something like it. If people ask, you could look at them angrily and say 'I have an addiction problem, DON'T JUDGE ME!' and then open one real package of chocolate and stuff the whole bar into your mouth.
biggrin.gif
hermit
One of my players always carried ALL the C12 he had bought at chargen with him - most of it in his car's trunk, but a few odd kilos in his backpack, organized into neat car-destroyer packages if he needs to blow up something on his way to the 'shack. Happens he was jandering through a park and a rent-a-cop asks him for his SIN. He does what any sensible person with a good faked SIN doesn't do - he bolts and runs. The cop tasers him in the backpack.

Turns out carrying several primed and ready explosive packages in his backpack wasn't that good of an idea.
Drace
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 10 2014, 09:51 AM) *
You do not need an Electrical Detonator for C4 - Standard Detonators and fuse will work as well.

I could be wrong, and if I am my bad, but I'm pretty sure standard detonators used for c4 will still produce the electrical shock wave needed, just without having to have the cords attached. And the high intensity heat.

Then again my knowledge is a little old, had a friend who did demolitions an engineering with peacekeepers years ago (SR3 was still current and kind of new, Years ago)

Edit: and only to find out I am wrong within seconds of posting. It's any High intensity shockwave, either explosive or electrical. Anything short of those shock waves does diddly squat

Also, most my non-faces carry a concealed light pistol and fine blade with attached private investigator license. My faces stuck with lights or hold outs that they highly specialized in.
Sendaz
Hmmm.. makes me think of adopting a new spell--

Detonate [Explosive]
Manipulation (Physical)
Type: P
Range: LOS
Duration: P
Drain: F – 1

The aptly named Detonate spell acts as a magical detonator to the targeted explosive, providing the necessary effects to obtain optimal blast.

The magician must succeed against the target’s Object Resistance dice pool and sustain the effect until permanent at which point causes the explosive to go off.

Each type of explosive requires it own spell (C12, dynamite, Semtex, Water-gel, etc..)

Binary explosive are unaffected by this spell while in their separated state, unless one part is already explosive and is targeted by a specific spell for that particular compound, otherwise they can be detonated once mixed.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Drace @ Mar 10 2014, 03:37 PM) *
I could be wrong, and if I am my bad, but I'm pretty sure standard detonators used for c4 will still produce the electrical shock wave needed, just without having to have the cords attached. And the high intensity heat.

Then again my knowledge is a little old, had a friend who did demolitions an engineering with peacekeepers years ago (SR3 was still current and kind of new, Years ago)

Edit: and only to find out I am wrong within seconds of posting. It's any High intensity shockwave, either explosive or electrical. Anything short of those shock waves does diddly squat

Also, most my non-faces carry a concealed light pistol and fine blade with attached private investigator license. My faces stuck with lights or hold outs that they highly specialized in.

Standard Detonators have no electrical component at all.
Yep... you got it right... smile.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Mar 11 2014, 05:50 AM) *
Hmmm.. makes me think of adopting a new spell--

Detonate [Explosive]
Manipulation (Physical)
Type: P
Range: LOS
Duration: P
Drain: F – 1

The aptly named Detonate spell acts as a magical detonator to the targeted explosive, providing the necessary effects to obtain optimal blast.

The magician must succeed against the target’s Object Resistance dice pool and sustain the effect until permanent at which point causes the explosive to go off.

Each type of explosive requires it own spell (C12, dynamite, Semtex, Water-gel, etc..)

Binary explosive are unaffected by this spell while in their separated state, unless one part is already explosive and is targeted by a specific spell for that particular compound, otherwise they can be detonated once mixed.

You should make a touch range version too, for those who want less drain nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012